PDA

View Full Version : Peak Novotna vs peak Sabatini

forehand27
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Who wins. So I would guess this would be the Novotna of 96-98 vs the Sabatini of 90-92 perhaps. Their head to head is heavily in Sabatini's favor but with the matches more in Sabatini's prime than Novotna. Their last ever match was January 1994.

Sammo
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Novotna is immensely more talented, so Novotna in all except clay

forehand27
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:47 PM
Their head to head I find quite funny when analyzing it futher. A nowhere near prime Novotna straight setted Sabatini at the 1990 French and was killing her at the 1991 French until a horrible choke. Yet Sabatini was able to regularly crush a pre prime Novotna indoors and on carpet, which are Novotna's best surfaces outside of grass. Based on that it is hard to conclude what to make of a stronger Novotna vs the peak Sabatini a non prime Novotna was often playing.

Ultimately I went with Sabatini though for one simple reason. Novotna did not even come close to the #1 ranking in the weak 1997 and 1998 field she peaked in, with only Hingis as real competition. In fact she didnt even make a slam final to play Hingis outside Wimbledon in that very weak field, despite being Hingis's archrival until Davenport really took off in late 98. Sabatini came very close to the #1 ranking and was a potential threat to win any of the slams outside the Australian Open vs a much stronger field in 91-92.

lloyders76
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Their head to head I find quite funny when analyzing it futher. A nowhere near prime Novotna straight setted Sabatini at the 1990 French and was killing her at the 1991 French until a horrible choke. Yet Sabatini was able to regularly crush a pre prime Novotna indoors and on carpet, which are Novotna's best surfaces outside of grass. Based on that it is hard to conclude what to make of a stronger Novotna vs the peak Sabatini a non prime Novotna was often playing.

Ultimately I went with Sabatini though for one simple reason. Novotna did not even come close to the #1 ranking in the weak 1997 and 1998 field she peaked in, with only Hingis as real competition. In fact she didnt even make a slam final to play Hingis outside Wimbledon in that very weak field, despite being Hingis's archrival until Davenport really took off in late 98. Sabatini came very close to the #1 ranking and was a potential threat to win any of the slams outside the Australian Open vs a much stronger field in 91-92.

re novotna never being close to no 1, i'm fairly certain when watching her 98 semi against hingis and leading 4-1 in the final set that the commentators said reaching the final would make her no 1

also, bearing that match in mind, it's testament to the fact that finally winning a major did nothing to dispel the tendency to choke in novotna

Sammo
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:28 PM
re novotna never being close to no 1, i'm fairly certain when watching her 98 semi against hingis and leading 4-1 in the final set that the commentators said reaching the final would make her no 1

I thought that would have been if she had won the Open actually, that's what I heard here.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:53 PM
These players are from the same era. Infact there is less than two years apart in age between these two. So we don't have to guess what would have happened had they played each other numerous times. We know. Because they have played each other numerous times. Sabatini won 10 matches and Novotna won 3. Even on carpet a surface one might have thought Novotna would beat Sabatini, Gabi won 3 out of their 4 matches on this surface. Hence, based on their H2H I think it is fair to say that if both are playing well Jana wins on grass and Gabi on everything else.

Stonerpova
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:54 PM
:hysteric:

tommyk75
Nov 17th, 2012, 05:00 AM
This was an interesting rivarly because while Sabatini has a sizable head-to-head lead, quite a few of them (at least 3) of Gaby's wins were in matches where Jana had at least one match point. And that kind of illustrates why I'd go with Gaby on everything except grass. Jana was capable of choking on an epic level even at her very best, while Gaby was much more consistent mentally. Of course, Gaby would have remarkable choke-a-thons later herself, but by then she was nowhere near her peak level.

forehand27
Nov 17th, 2012, 05:46 AM
I am surprised 3 of 10 people have already voted for Sabatini over Novotna on grass. The best tennis Sabatini ever played at Wimbledon by far was 1991, and Novotna played atleast that well at Wimbledon atleast 4 times- 1993, 1995, 1997, and 1998.

VeeJJ
Nov 17th, 2012, 06:41 AM
This board is much too young to actually talk about this H2H. Moot Thread.

SV_Fan
Nov 17th, 2012, 07:42 AM
Why does a thread this good, have such little replies ......

nat75
Nov 17th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Gaby in all except grass. Winning Wimbledon and reaching the nr1 spot would have changed her career around and it would have helped maintaining the momentum she reached at the US Open.

jj74
Nov 17th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Gabi in all but grass.
With a stronger mentality Gabi could be a real thread for Graf and Seles, in fact she is one of hte players with more wins against Steffi

azinna
Nov 17th, 2012, 02:03 PM
An aggressive Gaby wins this match-up of peaks. Jana isn't a great passer off the backhand, which is partly why Hingis could come back and win their Wimbledon final. And we know there isn't a version of Peak Jana without the yips.

I voted "Sabs on all but grass," but I'm not sure about that either. What if it was Peak Gaby instead of Tauziat in that '98 Wimbledon final....