PDA

View Full Version : Alexandra Dulgheru's comeback letter

Curcubeu
Nov 16th, 2012, 11:42 AM
It was published on the WTA site a couple of days ago, but I guess it deserves an own thread for its honesty, even more so in the off-season.

http://www.wtatennis.com/page/OffCourtNews/Read/0,,12781~2981758,00.html

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hello everyone,

The year 2012 has been hard for me, with surgery on my left knee at the end of March and a whole season lost, but as my health is the most important aspect, I realized everything else is just fog and smoke...

The problems started some years ago. I was playing tougher and tougher matches at an increasingly higher level, and it was mostly on hardcourts, so after Miami in 2011, things started getting worse and the pain was becoming quite unbearable. I thought I could continue for the clay season, and with all the physiotherapy it would be better, but I was wrong. It was too much. No procedure was helping, and by playing and competing I was making it worse.

The best plan was for me to take some time off and recover, and I did that after Wimbledon last year. With a two month break and some injections, rest and physical training, when I restarted it was a bit better, but not enough. I still wasn't feeling comfortable enough to play a few matches in a row.

After last year's winter preparation, I had a good run at the start of 2012 - I came through the qualifying in Sydney and had a good first round at the Aussie Open, and I also won a $100K in Cali, Colombia, so naturally I thought I was following a good road. But I had a poor clay court tour in South America, with the pain starting to come all over again. Indian Wells is where I had an MRI done, showing a pretty serious tear that needed surgery. Just a week later I was already in Spain to see the doctor, who advised me that surgery was the best option too. I realized that tournaments and ranking points aren't as important as my health, so without a second thought I went ahead and did it.

I ended up doing four full months of daily recovery, between four and six hours every day at a clinic in Bucharest - except for Sundays. And then after that I continued going just a few times a week. In July I started playing tennis again slowly, like once every two or three days, and maximum one hour a day. I gradually started playing more, but there were times the physical training was more important, and I would play less. The whole time it wasn't easy to stay away from the courts for so long and see everyone else play, but now, after all of the hard work to come back, I'm feeling better and I can hardly wait to come back in better physical form, as I really enjoyed my first few years on the tour :)

There are bright sides to my injury, though - I've been enjoying some quality time at home with family and friends, reading a lot during the hours I've spent at the clinic, going to the cinema, horseriding... and last but not least, painting. I'm currently in the process of finishing a big painting I've been working on since summertime, mostly on the Sundays... I'll show it to all of you once it's ready :)

In the next months I will continue to play more and more tennis, and hopefully everything will be in order for me to start playing again next year!

Thank you for reading everyone and I can't wait to return to the WTA :)

Alex Dulgheru

PS I've attached some pictures from my time off... click below to see!

Good luck in 2013, Alexandra!

Haide!

TS
Nov 16th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Good luck to her :)

I've always enjoyed watching her play. I hope her comeback is successful, and she's back on the main tour as soon as possible.

kiriosh.
Nov 16th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Always nice to see when players come back after long injury and they are healthy, even if we aren't fan of them ;)
Good luck Alexandra! :yeah:

Juju Nostalgique
Nov 16th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Bitches need to be pushed again so welcome back sweetie!!! :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Steadyniacki
Nov 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Cute! Cant wait for her to play some more :)

Trickle
Nov 16th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Its always nice to read player's insights when things aren't going so well.

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Nice letter :). I remember thinking she did a great British accent and seemed quite funny when I saw a video a while ago :lol:. I can't find it now though.

BlueTrees
Nov 16th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Can't wait to have her back :inlove:

Nice letter :). I remember thinking she did a great British accent and seemed quite funny when I saw a video a while ago :lol:. I can't find it now though.

Here it is :p

gBy5rbmm6NU

Fantasy Hero
Nov 16th, 2012, 01:40 PM
such a lovely letter and so are the pics of the album WTA published with it :yeah:
so happy to know she's motivated for the new season, can't wait to see her back :inlove:

gBy5rbmm6NU

she's so amazing :hearts: such a lovely personality

Trickle
Nov 16th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Haha, I love that video.

Super Dave
Nov 16th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Nice :) I wish her well.

Saraya!
Nov 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Like her...hope to see her back really fit and strong for a healthy season 2013!!

PetraReeMona
Nov 16th, 2012, 03:38 PM

gBy5rbmm6NU

That's wonderful. Such a lovely girl :awww:

So glad that she is healthy and coming back soon. :)

JustPetko
Nov 16th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Good luck, Alex! :cheer:

NyCPsU
Nov 16th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Alex :hearts:

Drake1980
Nov 16th, 2012, 06:08 PM
:hearts:

Patrick345
Nov 16th, 2012, 06:47 PM

gBy5rbmm6NU

LMAO at her british accent. So she is not only a talented dancer, but also a talented actress. :worship:

Ollie.
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:03 PM
One of my faves. :hearts: Hoping 2013 is a great year for her! :cheer:

GOATdin0931
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Aww :hug:

Sooo excited!! :cheer:

Halepsova
Nov 16th, 2012, 10:39 PM
She is quite good in English. :yeah:

Curcubeu
Mar 9th, 2013, 12:34 PM
She presented her painting for the first time this week.

http://www.wtatennis.com/javaImages/48/ed/0,,12781~11726152,00.jpg

"I did this oil painting last year during my long period of recovery," Dulgheru recalled. "As I was going to the clinic six days a week for two months and still had a full schedule afterwards, I only had time to do it on Sundays, but every Sunday since May I've been working on it for about three to six hours.

"Honestly, I didn't know what I was getting into when I started it. I probably won't do gardens or flowers for a while now! But it was a fun way to relax. And I never hurried it, I just wanted to do it well and capture all the details. Whenever I felt tired, I would take a break or leave it to the next weekend.

"It's not finished yet, as you can see - I still have the path around the flowers to work on, and some other details on the painting as well - but I don't think it will take too much longer to finish."

Dulgheru has always had a talent for visual arts - not just painting. "I started drawing when I was six. Slowly I got better at it and found I had a talent for it. I do a bit of everything - drawing, sketching, clothes design, painting - whatever I feel like doing in that particular moment of inspiration. I'm thinking of doing something in this area after tennis, like architecture or design, whatever comes to me. And if I don't follow this path, at least I want to continue with it as a hobby, because I like it very much."

And what inspired her to do this particular painting? "My room is vintage style and there's a free wall that needs a big painting, so this went well with the room design," she said. "First we wanted to buy one and we were looking for the right one for a while, but then I thought, 'Why not work on the painting myself? I have the time for that and would be so happy to try my skills on my first oil painting.'

"I printed two color gardens out from the internet, then I mixed them together into one painting, and there it is. I can't wait to get back and finish it. I'll send you another picture when it's done!"

I'm so glad she's feeling better.

Fantasy Hero
Mar 9th, 2013, 12:41 PM
she definitely has a good touch :yeah:

TS
Mar 9th, 2013, 01:11 PM
Alex :hearts: Keep it up girl

Mateo Mathieu
Mar 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Woooooow! She's talented!

taloki
Mar 9th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Wow, her painting is beautiful. :hearts:

hingis-seles
Mar 9th, 2013, 03:00 PM
That is a great painting. She's clearly got talent.

FORZA SARITA
Mar 9th, 2013, 03:15 PM
i love it :hearts: