PDA

View Full Version : Peak Wozniacki v. Peak Zvonereva

Helen Lawson
Nov 14th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Why not get in on the "peak" action? :p

These two's games get the least respect on these boards, so this ought to be good.

Grigorpova
Nov 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Zvonereva because Wozniacki would have a peak of injury and break every bone in her body.

$uricate
Nov 14th, 2012, 10:21 AM
Vera.

Cause I like her better.

Caralenko
Nov 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM
They played each other at their best level several times and Vera proved her game was superior to Caroline's when it was working. USO 2010?

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 14th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Bepa, even though she peaked at #2, she still managed to reach 2 slams finals in a year.:oh:

Saraya!
Nov 14th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Caro. Nothing to talk about.

GOATdin0931
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Woz :bowdown:

SilverSlam
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Vera and its not even close.

USO SF proved that. Caro's best surface, and beaten comprehensively 1 and 2.

Fighterpova
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Vera and its not even close.

USO SF proved that. Caro's best surface, and beaten comprehensively 1 and 2.
It was 6-4 6-3.

Mynarco
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Zvonareva. But Wozniacki did better in mentality.

Juju Nostalgique
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:28 PM
You mean who sucks more? :oh:

Seriously, I vote Zvonie. :hearts:

medved
Nov 14th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Peak? Different leagues. Zvonareva.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

CloudAtlas
Nov 14th, 2012, 09:23 PM
Beijing final 2010. Look it up.

And lmao at people citing the USO semi as 'Peak Wozniacki' on her best surface :spit: Not even gonna entertain that ignorance.

Kasey
Nov 14th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Bepa wins this one.

What about Doha final?, what Vera brought up on court back then was one of the highest-quality tennis match I've ever seen.
Caro was playing well and having finished the 2010 as the YE #1 she had that confidence in her game, but still she got dismissed by Bepa in straights.

Sammo
Nov 14th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Karolina's movement is limited by her fivehead, and Bepa always takes advantage of that

Morning Morgan
Nov 15th, 2012, 04:52 AM
It always depended on whether Bepa's mind exploded on court. And half the time it did. Bepa rallies better than Woz, nuff said.

moby
Nov 15th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Oddly, I prefer Wozniacka's game, because at least she brought something new to the table. Vera just screams poor man's Clijsters. I have an idea of how Peakniacki might play, but the fact that I can't think of how Peak Vera would differ much from Regular Vera says a lot.

I would say Peak LaBorz. She had more potential anyway, even though Vera was not a good match-up.

Stonerpova
Nov 15th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Zvonareva. She was more passive than I would have liked in a lot of 2011 matches (despite it being her best season), but overall she has more firepower than Woz, more variety, moves just as well, and has a just as good (if not better) serve. Woz was tougher mentally, and it was all about whether Vera could keep it together.

moby
Nov 15th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Zvonareva. She was more passive than I would have liked in a lot of 2011 matches (despite it being her best season), but overall she has more firepower than Woz, more variety, moves just as well, and has a just as good (if not better) serve. Woz was tougher mentally, and it was all about whether Vera could keep it together.
In a Peak-vs-Peak situation, I think only one of those is true and I might even put an asterisk on that.
Even usually, I think only two of them are true.

Stonerpova
Nov 15th, 2012, 06:05 AM
In a Peak-vs-Peak situation, I think only one of those is true and I might even put an asterisk on that.
Even usually, I think only two of them are true.

I think Vera very clearly hits the ball bigger and has more variety. The other two are more up for debate IMO.

SilverSlam
Nov 15th, 2012, 08:09 AM
It was 6-4 6-3.

:spit: Sorry. I was thinking of the final :crazy:

Even still, she showed that she can beat Caro with her pace when her game is working well.

pav
Nov 15th, 2012, 08:38 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/kahu/vera-zvonareva-09.jpg
I just want the bugger back playing and healthy, peak or valley:sad:

Lord Choc Ice
Nov 15th, 2012, 09:26 AM
Without Sergey: Wozniacki 6-4 7-5
With Sergey: Bepa 4-6 7-6 7-6

http://www.tennisperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Vera-Zvonareva.jpg

Steven.
Nov 15th, 2012, 09:32 AM
what? peak zvonareva is a much better player everywhere except mentally. she can straddle on all surfaces, better footspeed, bigger fh and bh, volleys well

madmax
Nov 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM
LMAO, Vera is a much more talented player than useless Moonballniacki...she has a nice all-arround game to watch too. There is nothing memorable about Moonballniacki's dull grinding though. Peak Vera blows pusher off the court every single time:cheer:

homogenius
Nov 15th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Vera, much more complete game than Woz

BlueTrees
Nov 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Zvonareva 6-1 6-1. Bye.

homogenius
Nov 15th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Oddly, I prefer Wozniacka's game, because at least she brought something new to the table. Vera just screams poor man's Clijsters. I have an idea of how Peakniacki might play, but the fact that I can't think of how Peak Vera would differ much from Regular Vera says a lot.

I would say Peak LaBorz. She had more potential anyway, even though Vera was not a good match-up.

Peak Vera had more or less her nerves under control (in comparison to Regular vera)and that changed a lot of things cause she was able to exploit all of her qualities.
Also, I fail to see how Woz's game was particularly new and how she had more potential.Mentally she is miles ahead but game wise she's firmly behind Vera imo.

SerenaSlam
Nov 15th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Vera. Her ball has more punch to it. Which always knocks Woz out. It's clear. Woz's "peak" is amazing Defense. That defense always has and always will be trumped with minor ease by someone with more punch a bigger game and better weapons. As much of a punch Vera doesn't have against the other players it exist against Woz. CW has no big weapon. Vera in two 63 62

Harry.
Nov 15th, 2012, 03:45 PM
Caro was never at her peak during their USO match. She had played something like five consecutive weeks of tennis at that point, and was clearly over tennis'd by that point. IMO, the Beijing final they played was both their peaks or close. And Wozniacki won that. Still, I think it'd be a close match.

moby
Nov 15th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Peak Vera had more or less her nerves under control (in comparison to Regular vera)and that changed a lot of things cause she was able to exploit all of her qualities.
Also, I fail to see how Woz's game was particularly new and how she had more potential.Mentally she is miles ahead but game wise she's firmly behind Vera imo.
Vera has difficulties when brought out wide, especially by quick DTLs from her opponent that invariably result in a short ball or floater from her opponent. Partly because she's not particularly fast (also because I think her movement outwide is not very efficient), and also because of her extremely long groundstroke swings. She is not good at neutralising the point from that position.

I think Peak LaBorz hits her backhand DTL with conviction and that will be the best and biggest stroke from either party in a match. Wozniacka has capabilities for a more dynamic game than Vera, IMO, is certainly a better defender (especially against Vera's mid-level power), and also creates more changes with spin, pace and height of the ball in a rally.

I think Vera very clearly hits the ball bigger and has more variety. The other two are more up for debate IMO.Not that much bigger. I think Wozniacki can hit the ball bigger and heavier.

Steven.
Nov 15th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Vera has a lot of difficulties when brought out wide, especially by quick DTLs from her opponent that invariably result in a short ball or floater from her opponent. Partly because she's not particularly fast (also because I think her movement outwide is not very efficient), and also because of her extremely long groundstroke swings. She is not good at neutralising the point from that position.

I think Peak LaBorz hits her backhand DTL with conviction and that will be the best and biggest stroke from either party in a match. Wozniacka has capabilities for a more dynamic game than Vera, IMO, is certainly a better defender (especially against Vera's mid-level power), and also creates more changes with spin, pace and height of the ball in a rally.

Not that much bigger. I think Wozniacki can hit the ball bigger and heavier.

usually unintentional though :hysteric:

moby
Nov 15th, 2012, 04:48 PM
usually unintentional though :hysteric:But it still happens. :lol:

Patrick345
Nov 15th, 2012, 05:13 PM
The truth is peak for peak Wozniacki loses to all top 20 talent in the world, because of the way she plays tennis. For her qualities to shine through you´d have to take an average of 10 matches, and say how many times will her game come through against a Zvonareva, Schiavone, Pennetta, Kuznetsova or Hantuchova. Peak for Peak she gets beaten by all of them, but she´ll beat Hantuchova 8-9 out of 10 times, because Wozniacki´s average performance is much higher than Hantuchova´s average tennis. But on her best day (French Open) Hantuchova will murder Wozniacki.

dsanders06
Nov 15th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Vera has difficulties when brought out wide, especially by quick DTLs from her opponent that invariably result in a short ball or floater from her opponent. Partly because she's not particularly fast (also because I think her movement outwide is not very efficient), and also because of her extremely long groundstroke swings. She is not good at neutralising the point from that position.

Not that much bigger. I think Wozniacki can hit the ball bigger and heavier.

I agree that Woz is a better defensive player than Vera (Zvonareva's movement is VERY overrated on TF - people seem to just assume she's quick just because she's athletic and can do the splits), but "really?" to the bits in bold? :lol: Peak Vera's backhand craps all over Woz's, and let's not even go into comparing their forehands. I also really don't agree that Woz changes the pace of the game more -- Zvonareva was actually very good at intelligently constructing points, it's just she didn't get the chance to put those tactical skills to use against the elite who took the game out of her hands.

With that said, I do kinda think that Woz was slightly closer to winning a Slam than Vera was -- even though Vera was the stronger all-around player, Woz atleast was outstanding in one area of the game (defence) even though she was woeful in other areas, whereas Vera was solid in most areas of the game but outstanding in none.

forehand27
Nov 15th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Wozniacki would win. Like dsanders mentioned she atleast has world class outstanding defense. I would add to that world class consistency when playing her best. Vera is a jack of all trades, master of none, she is good at everything (well even that is generous, most things I should say), but great a nothing.

Anyone thinking Wozniacki was playing her best in that U.S Open semifinal with Vera is delusional. I like Vera more than Woz and was happy she won, but Wozniacki played one of her worst matches of the whole summer bar none for whatever reason, be it the wind, or some nerves as that was the first time she really sensed she could win a slam.

forehand27
Nov 15th, 2012, 07:44 PM
WTF is with the poll results. Does this whole forum hate Wozniacki or something. I could see Vera possibly being ahead (although I disagree) but with over three quarters of the votes, lol! This is peak Vera people, not some great player who can power Wozniacki off the court.

charmedRic
Nov 15th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Vera. In Peak Forms, definitely Vera.

rickxx
Nov 15th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Caro would win this. Her defense is much better and with that she makes Vera extra shots to win the point, and even peak Vera is like a mental midget, so she would break down eventually

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Blu€
Nov 15th, 2012, 08:36 PM
WTF is with the poll results. Does this whole forum hate Wozniacki or something.

Caro is on her way to win a 4th consecutive title as the most hated player in TF so... yes, don't look for any praise for Woz in TF even against someone mentally unstable like Vera.

TheEmpress
Nov 15th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Vera can hit as consistent as Caro, with more power and more variety.

Patrick345
Nov 15th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Caro is on her way to win a 4th consecutive title as the most hated player in TF so... yes, don't look for any praise for Woz even against someone mentally unstable like Vera.

Peak defense is like the fat kid is with glasses and an artifical limb. It always gets picked last; as a weapon of choice in a Peak debate.

Zvonareva has a positive H2H against Wozniacki anyway during their peak years. Only a mentally unstable person would pick the defensive player in a peak debate between two players, where the offensive player in the match-up already has the real H2H lead.

forehand27
Nov 15th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Peak defense is like the fat kid is with glasses and an artifical limb. It always gets picked last; as a weapon of choice in a Peak debate.

Zvonareva has a positive H2H against Wozniacki anyway during their peak years. Only a mentally unstable person would pick the defensive player in a peak debate between two players, where the offensive player in the match-up already has the real H2H lead.

So now Vera is considered an offensive player, lol! She is a bit more offensive than Wozniacki, but both are more defensive than offensive. As for the defensive player never having the edge in a peak thread, peak Nadal has the edge on peak Federer, peak Djokovic has the edge vs all power players at their peak except peak Federer (and so does peak Nadal, except in his case including Federer), peak Sanchez Vicario has the edge over peak Huber, peak Majoli, peak Maggie Maleeva, peak Date, maybe peak Pierce, despite that all hit much harder than her. Would you say peak Na has the edge on peak Hingis since she hits much harder and is probably more offensive.

dragonflies
Nov 15th, 2012, 09:13 PM
I found the thread " Peak Vikapower vs peak GoDokic, WWW? " is more exciting than this.

Having said that, although I can hardly get excited watching these 2 players playing,, Did Vera and Woz all reach their respected " peaks" around somewhere in between 09-11, where Woz were at #1, Vera reached her best at #2, and Woz owned all the Russian players with a record of 35-4 or something like that?

resilience
Nov 15th, 2012, 11:15 PM
http://i.minus.com/ibyKnKMlqxLiIQ.gif

dencod16
Nov 16th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Without Sergey: Wozniacki 6-4 7-5
With Sergey: Bepa 4-6 7-6 7-6

http://www.tennisperspective.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Vera-Zvonareva.jpg

More like 6-1, 6-1 with Demekhine... :lol:

Another category
With Piotr on court coaching 7-5, 6-4 Wozniacki
Without Piotr on court coaching 6-3, 6-4 Zvonareva

dencod16
Nov 16th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Zvonareva is in a differently league than Wozniacki. People here referring if she is mentally tough in the match, well we are talking about peaks now are we not, means she will be mentally tough in the match. Zvonareva is better than Wozniacki in all departments at peak name it and Vera is better.

misty1
Nov 16th, 2012, 01:28 AM
vera and its not even close. Yeah caroline has the number one ranking but i dont read to much into that

if vera was stronger mentally she would definately have more titles and who knows she may actually have a slam.

SilverSlam
Nov 16th, 2012, 01:56 AM
I also forgot this. Vera is a MUCH much better net player that Caro too. I personally don't see the variety that you all see in Caroline's game. She doesn't slice balls (intentionally during rallies, only as a response) and Vera has shown she's smart enough to hit to the FH more than the BH so the result is NID. I also think Vera does have the better serve, and furthermore that she can adjust to all surfaces better. She can increase topspin when needed to match the conditions.

goldenlox
Nov 16th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Vera plays Caro well. In 2010 Caro won Montreal, New haven. SF of USO, won Tokyo, Beijing, final of YEC.
The only time she didnt make the final in those 6 tournaments she lost to Vera 2010 USO SF.
In 2011 Caro won Dubai, final Doha, won IW. Her only loss was to Vera.
Caro beat Vera in finals of Montreal & Beijing.
Vera is a little like Stosur, they both have a lot of strangely weak finals. I think IW 2009 & Doha 2011 are her only titles above Tier III
But Vera knows how to play Caro, and has the variety in her game to do it, even when Caro is getting her best results

StoneRose
Nov 16th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Peak Vera is (was) very strong, possible slam material. It never happened unfortunately.

jasonbloom
Nov 16th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I found the thread " Peak Vikapower vs peak GoDokic, WWW? " is more exciting than this.

Having said that, although I can hardly get excited watching these 2 players playing,, Did Vera and Woz all reach their respected " peaks" around somewhere in between 09-11, where Woz were at #1, Vera reached her best at #2, and Woz owned all the Russian players with a record of 35-4 or something like that?

Peak Vikapower win with no doubt :worship:

Serena_Williams_
Nov 16th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Didnt Zvonareva already beat Peakniacki on Doha 2011?

Mixal
Nov 16th, 2012, 05:54 PM
But peak Wozniacki was something a la that match against Bartoli in Doha, where she was almost constantly on offense, and she was great at it.

I agree with moby that Woz can hit as hard as Vera. I would give edge to Woz in serve department too. However, in this match-up Vera movies the ball around better, returns better and is eager to finish off the points at the net. So I MIGHT give a slight edge to Vera overall.

SunshineSlam
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:57 PM
The only way to really answer this question is to consult the facts.

Caro's peak: #1
The other girl's peak: #2

Welp. Guess that settles it then. :shrug:

Yeah the other girl leads the H2H by one because Caro had to retire in one of the matches. :spit:

She still managed to win a couple of games in that set she was injured for though, whereas the other girl has been bageled multiple times by Caro. And that can't be attributed to mental fragility, even the most mentally weak player can win a game or two at the start of a set when there is no pressure, unless they are dominated and outclassed by their opponent throughout. A closer look at the H2H only highlights even more the fact that Caro is the better player and that she can dominate the other girl at her peak.

Tag
Nov 16th, 2012, 11:17 PM
certainly not tennis, that's for sure

Patrick345
Nov 16th, 2012, 11:44 PM
The only way to really answer this question is to consult the facts.

Caro's peak: #1
The other girl's peak: #2

Welp. Guess that settles it then. :shrug:

Yeah the other girl leads the H2H by one because Caro had to retire in one of the matches. :spit:

Oh right that was the match, where Wozniacki sprained her ankle chasing down a Zvonareva dropshot. I guess if Wozniacki had the technical ability to play a dropshot she could injure players, too. Much less work than grinding for three hours. :p

dsanders06
Nov 17th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Didnt Zvonareva already beat Peakniacki on Doha 2011?

And Peakniacki beat Peakareva in the Montreal, Beijing, YEC matches in 2010. People trying to claim their matches against eachother when they were peaking as definitive proof eitherway isn't going to work: they generally split the honours in their matches at the time (oh God, those dark days when Wozniacki-Zvonareva was the best rivalry on the WTA such was the game's dire state :tape: :sobbing: ).

With that said, their 2010-11 matches certainly give the lie to the claim that either Wozniacki or Zvonareva severely underachieved and should've won Slams: not only were they regularly beaten comfortably whenever they played one of the genuine elite players, they didn't even have their number of their fellow non-Grand Slam champ. Whereas other "best players to never win Slams" like Jankovic or Safina reliably beat all the non-Slam champions when they were at their respective peaks.

danieln1
Nov 17th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Where is bepamaria analisys on this? :oh:

madmax
Nov 17th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Oh right that was the match, where Wozniacki sprained her ankle chasing down a Zvonareva dropshot. I guess if Wozniacki had the technical ability to play a dropshot she could injure players, too. Much less work than grinding for three hours. :p

:lol:

Matt01
Nov 17th, 2012, 01:54 AM
What exactly does playing dropshots have to do with getting players injured? :weirdo:

pav
Nov 17th, 2012, 03:48 AM
And Peakniacki beat Peakareva in the Montreal, Beijing, YEC matches in 2010. People trying to claim their matches against eachother when they were peaking as definitive proof eitherway isn't going to work: they generally split the honours in their matches at the time (oh God, those dark days when Wozniacki-Zvonareva was the best rivalry on the WTA such was the game's dire state :tape: :sobbing: ).

With that said, their 2010-11 matches certainly give the lie to the claim that either Wozniacki or Zvonareva severely underachieved and should've won Slams: not only were they regularly beaten comfortably whenever they played one of the genuine elite players, they didn't even have their number of their fellow non-Grand Slam champ. Whereas other "best players to never win Slams" like Jankovic or Safina reliably beat all the non-Slam champions when they were at their respective peaks.
Not so dire as shara losing a slam final by way of a bagel to virgin slam winner vika,and also in another of her slam final losses, if those same results had happened to caro or bepa there would have been three times the criticism,just trendy to get stuck into some and not others.

jaredlikesbieber
Nov 17th, 2012, 04:00 AM
zvonareva for sure

Mixal
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:00 PM

:worship:

forehand27
Nov 17th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Not so dire as shara losing a slam final by way of a bagel to virgin slam winner vika,and also in another of her slam final losses, if those same results had happened to caro or bepa there would have been three times the criticism,just trendy to get stuck into some and not others.

Vera and Caro would give their right leg to have Sharapova's career.

effedcamel
Nov 18th, 2012, 12:02 AM

and this is relevant how?

Novichok
Nov 18th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Vera and Caro would give their her right leg to have Sharapova's career.

No she wouldn't.

pav
Nov 18th, 2012, 12:58 AM
and this is relevant how?
Because Drumsander never misses a chance to get stuck into these two and always slips in "elite players" into his diatribes, often going on about folding in big finals(Bepa) but forgetting about abysmal showings sometimes by some of his so called "elite" list. I have never denied better players, but get sick of this "dark days when woz and zvon were 1&2 " sort of shit. It is fair enough not to like a player, but give any of the top twenty or so a bit of credit for their ability,I have read some say zvon is a club level player at best for example, just bloody stupid,and when a theit favs get a bit of a beating, well they werte just off their game that day!Seem to want it both ways.

forehand27
Nov 18th, 2012, 01:10 AM
No she wouldn't.

So a player would rather two year end #1s and 0 slams than 4 slams and the Career Slam? :lol:

Novichok
Nov 18th, 2012, 01:14 AM
So a player would rather two year end #1s and 0 slams than 4 slams and the Career Slam? :lol:

I didn't say that. Can you read? :tape:

I think a player would rather two year end #1s and 0 slams over 4 slams and the Career Slam and no right leg.

CloudAtlas
Nov 18th, 2012, 01:27 AM

Who were these 'genuinely elite' players who 'regularly' and 'comfortably' beat Woz during her peak? The only players who can be afforded that stature during the period of relevance are the Williams and Clijsters who collectively played a grand total of 1 match against Woz during her peak of 2nd half of 2010/1st half of 2011. And that was a 3 set battle against Clijsters in the YEC final. Far from 'comfortable' and 'regular' :shrug:

Zvonareva went one better by beating 'elite' Clijsters twice in 2010 including once en route to a Slam final. And she played the Williams once in said period and that was a Wimbledon final against Serena, so she can be easily forgiven for not scoring that particular victory.

And please, Safina and Jankovic had their demons too. Safina couldn't beat Slamless Lena D during her so-called peak to save her career and Jankovic's peak lasted, what, 5 weeks? In the first half of 2008, arguably part of her peak, she had losses to Cibulkova, Zvonareva and her arch nemesis Tanasugarn. And she even lost to Zvonareva at the YEC. Need I even mention Safina's efforts at the same event?