PDA

View Full Version : Plovdiv will host 2014 WTA Tournament of champions

Ivanovic_fan
Nov 14th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Yesterday the officially announce that Plovdiv will WTA Tournament of Champions in 2014 :bounce:
The new hall will be open next autumn :bounce:

coolfish1103
Nov 14th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Why are they moving it to Plovdiv?

Ivanovic_fan
Nov 14th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Because this is Pironkova home city and they want to promote tennis in other cities.
I will be next year in Sofia and 2014 in Plovdiv :bigclap:
Also plan to visit Istanbul next year, it's finally time to see Ana Ivanovic live :hearts:

eDonkey
Nov 14th, 2012, 07:45 AM
Because this is Pironkova home city and they want to promote tennis in other cities.
I will be next year in Sofia and 2014 in Plovdiv :bigclap:
Also plan to visit Istanbul next year, it's finally time to see Ana Ivanovic live :hearts:
You'd better get tickets for Sofia.:lol:

Still, that's huge. Obviously the Ministry of Physical Education wants to show off their new halls around Bulgaria.:lol:

Ivanovic_fan
Nov 14th, 2012, 08:05 AM
I will buy for both places :D

Mynarco
Nov 14th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I think they would have it till pironkova actually wins it

Helen Lawson
Nov 14th, 2012, 08:30 AM
If this doesn't give the Woz the motivation to get back in the Top 8, nothing will.

Hachiko
Nov 14th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Why are they targeting Bulgaria? What about other countries that don't lay claim to a WTA tournament but who also have lone top players. Countries like South Africa (Scheepers), Georgia (Tatishvili) and Israel (Peer) come to mind.

$uricate
Nov 14th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Pironkova Open taken to the next level :cheer:

The new venue better be on grass :drool:

spiceboy
Nov 14th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Why are they targeting Bulgaria? What about other countries that don't lay claim to a WTA tournament but who also have lone top players. Countries like South Africa (Scheepers), Georgia (Tatishvili) and Israel (Peer) come to mind.

LOL it's not like they have countries queuing up for a chance to host this event :spit:

If these countries want to host this miniYEC just apply (and pay) for it and they most likely will get it once Bulgaria's contract expires.

GoofyDuck
Nov 14th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Pironkova won't seriously get a WC 3 years in a row.

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 14th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Oh in Bulgaria again? Not interested anyways.:lol:

spiceboy
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:06 AM

Believe me, she will :)

Wert.
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:16 AM
:hearts:

Great!

Miracle Worker
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Believe me, she will :)

Unless Sessil decides to play for Bulgaria again :oh:

Juju Nostalgique
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:25 AM
You'd better get tickets for Sofia.:lol:

:oh:

Mary Cherry.
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Ironically, this decision must've been made by a div.

Ivanovic_fan
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:37 AM
What is strange :eek:
We sighed a contract for 3 years, first 2 will be in Sofia and the last one in Plovdiv.

Next step is getting an ATP event :cool:

kr1s71an
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Yes, she will unless she qualifies with an International title. I think that was the deal when they get the tournament - one of the WCs is for Pironkova unless she qualifies or can't play the event because of injury or something :)

sweetadri06
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Yes, she will unless she qualifies with an International title. I think that was the deal when they get the tournament - one of the WCs is for Pironkova unless she qualifies or can't play the event because of injury or something :)

That's really unfair. She better try to qualify next year for her own dignity.

deliverance.
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Would be awesome :hearts: :lol:

Broseghini
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Pironkova Open taken to the next level :cheer:

This :oh:

Halepsova
Nov 14th, 2012, 01:52 PM
It didn't make any better than Sofia. :o

petkoan
Nov 14th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Haters gonna hate: http://www.wtatennis.com/page/OffCourtNews/Read/0,,12781~2973601,00.html

"We are thrilled by the reception the Qatar Airways Tournament of Champions received in Sofia," said Stacey Allaster, WTA Chairman & CEO. "I experienced first-hand the excitement and interest in the event along with a world class facility and operation. With the support of great sponsors, led by Qatar Airways, committed organization by the Bulgarian Tennis Federation, and the support of the country's Ministry of Sports and the City of Sofia, this tournament was a terrific success for the WTA and the sport of tennis." - Stacey Allaster.

"Arena Armeec is an impressive new facility and on the weekend it's been packed, so it was really exciting to play here," Petrova said. "It helped, I think, that Tsvetana was part of the tournament, which raised awareness and will help get people involved in tennis.Each player was given her own locker room and personalized car and driver - we've been treated so well!" - Nadia Petrova

"It has been a great week. It was fun having my mom and the rest of my family here as well - and my coach - and just everyone who organized the event. The level was so high." - Daniela Hantuchova

Wiggly
Nov 14th, 2012, 06:25 PM
99.9% of the world's population never heard of Plovdiv and the existence of this tournament.
Terminate this event and just sign Qatar Airways as a WTA's sponsor.

SerenaMJ
Nov 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Plovdiv???? OK... Am I the only one who actually had to Google it to find out where it is?

eDonkey
Nov 14th, 2012, 06:55 PM
99.9% of the world's population never heard of Plovdiv and the existence of this tournament.
Terminate this event and just sign Qatar Airways as a WTA's sponsor.

So let's stick it all to New York, Paris and London and fire all players besides the Williams sisters and Sharapova.
I don't see anything wrong with the idea to promote tennis in Bulgaria and different venues in Bulgaria around the world by organizing such sporting events.

GOATdin0931
Nov 14th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Cool :cool:

C. Drone
Nov 14th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Plovdiv???? OK... Am I the only one who actually had to Google it to find out where it is?

should I google where is Charleston or New Haven? :scratch:

Stonerpova
Nov 14th, 2012, 07:57 PM
I think they would have it till pironkova actually wins it

Thought the exact same thing :sobbing:

miffedmax
Nov 14th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Iva will be so amused.

petkoan
Nov 14th, 2012, 08:38 PM

If your ignorance is originating from the UK, then yes.

fluffyelloballz
Nov 14th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Plovdiv is such a cute city. I have been there twice and always enjoyed it. The old town is beautiful and there is a lot of green space. Food is also great:) I will go for sure.
Only wish for this tournament is that it would be BEFORE YEC. Makes no sense it coming after.

*JR*
Nov 14th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Unless Sessil decides to play for Bulgaria again :oh:

Or if KAZ cuts her, now that her 5-year contract is ova. :shrug:

eDonkey
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Iva will be so amused.

And so am I. I myself am from Plovdiv too.:p
I am sure I can list at least 3 towns per country in Europe, so your ignorance towards one of the biggest towns in the Balkans, which is not a capital, is more like an insult to your own knowledge.

Mixal
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:43 PM
I am sure I can list at least 3 towns per country in Europe, so your ignorance towards one of the biggest towns in the Balkans, which is not a capital, is more like an insult to your own knowledge.

Oh, come on now. Someone who is not from this region or is not an avid traveler, how would he/she know about Plovdiv?

I've been there actually. It's a very nice city- for Bulgarian standards :oh:

miffedmax
Nov 15th, 2012, 02:07 AM
And so am I. I myself am from Plovdiv too.:p

Even I've heard of Plovdiv.

Mostly because of the posters on TF, I have to admit. :lol:

But that's part of what I like about this place. You do actually learn things here and there.

NashaMasha
Nov 15th, 2012, 02:12 AM
What is strange :eek:
We sighed a contract for 3 years, first 2 will be in Sofia and the last one in Plovdiv.

Next step is getting an ATP event :cool:
you mean "Dimitrov Masters"? :)

Ivanovic_fan
Nov 16th, 2012, 07:40 AM
you mean "Dimitrov Masters"? :)

No I mean ATP 250 :p
Also maybe a lot of people don't know but Plovdiv is one the oldest city in the world ;)

http://www.realestates-burgas.com/cms2/tinymce/Image/plovdiv/plovdiv.jpg
http://alexandra-travel.com/images/plovdiv3.jpg

Keegan
Nov 16th, 2012, 07:51 AM
At least it's not the WTA Championships :scared:

Panther24
Oct 22nd, 2013, 09:41 AM
Is there an actual official source?

Haven't seen one here and haven't heard of this anywhere else.

*The link of this thread was in another current 2013 thread about the TOC*

If it's true, then looking forward to next year's edition in Plovdiv. :)

FedererBulgaria
Oct 22nd, 2013, 09:45 AM
No I mean ATP 250 :p
Also maybe a lot of people don't know but Plovdiv is one the oldest city in the world ;)

http://www.realestates-burgas.com/cms2/tinymce/Image/plovdiv/plovdiv.jpg
http://alexandra-travel.com/images/plovdiv3.jpg

:hearts: perfect

Sombrerero loco
Oct 22nd, 2013, 09:54 AM
where is this city?

Panther24
Oct 22nd, 2013, 09:56 AM
where is this city?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plovdiv

Also in Bulgaria. The second largest city behind its capital, Sofia.

Tsveti Pironkova's hometown. :)

Mike.
Oct 22nd, 2013, 09:58 AM
where is this city?

In Bulgaria.

Varna would be a better venue, just love that city :hearts: or Primorsko :hearts:

Mynarco
Oct 22nd, 2013, 09:59 AM
I went to Sofia and Plovdiv this July and I think Plovdiv is more beautiful than Sofia :oh:

Ivanovic_fan
Oct 22nd, 2013, 10:19 AM
I agree with you :yeah:
Also it's almost in the center of the country, so most people will have chance to watch it, also there are airport and it is connect with motorway to Sofia and Bourgas.