PDA

View Full Version : Fed Cup April 2003

Come-on-kim
Nov 15th, 2002, 10:13 AM
Kim still uncertain for Fed Cup

That's a sad news!! All will depend on the surface!!!

I hope Belgian Federation will choose well!!!!!!!!!!

per4ever
Dec 3rd, 2002, 09:25 AM
Mét Kim en ín Bree - 03/12/2002

Clijsters eist en krijgt professionele organisatie Fed Cup 2003

De kogel is door de kerk voor de eerste ronde van de Fed Cup 2003 tegen Oostenrijk (26-27 april). België speelt mét Kim Clijsters, ín Bree. En dat zijn twee verheugende vaststellingen. ,,Ik heb dan ook een professionele organisatie geëist'', zegt vader Lei Clijsters.

Justine Henin had eerder al principieel toegezegd voor de volledige Fed-Cupcampagne van volgend jaar. Gisteren bevestigde Lei Clijsters dat zijn oudste dochter in elk geval de eerste confrontatie afwerkt. Het strijdtoneel wordt de Expodroom in Bree.

Bree is de thuisstad van Kim, inderdaad, maar geen louter symbolische keuze. Het pas één jaar oude sportcomplex is namelijk een uitstekende locatie: 3.000 zitjes en commercieel aantrekkelijke loges in tribunes die steil op de arena staan. Ambiance verzekerd dus. De organisatie is in handen van Bob Verbeecks bureau Octagon-Cis, dat ook instaat voor het WTA-tornooi van Antwerpen en de exhibitiematch die Clijsters en Henin nu al twee jaar op rij speelden.

,,Vorig jaar, tijdens België-Australië in Ukkel, was de organisatie ondermaats'', zegt Lei Clijsters. ,,Commercieel niet interessant, oncomfortabel voor het publiek. Er zat ten andere ook hooguit 1.500 man. Dat kan niet als je speelsters hebt van het niveau dat Kim en Justine halen.''

,,Ook voor de tennissters was het niet geslaagd. De veiligheid was bijvoorbeeld nul komma nul. Dat kan niet langer. Zo erg als met die stalker van Serena Williams is het nog niet, maar toch... De wereldtop kan niet meer zonder bodyguards tijdens tornooien. Er loopt altijd wel een gek rond.''

,,Zelf heb ik vorige week nog met de politie gepraat. Wij krijgen wel zestig brieven en talloze telefoons per dag voor Kim. En de meeste zijn oké. Maar sommige mensen gaan echt over de schreef. Er stoppen 's nachts ook wel eens auto's voor de deur, die dan na een paar minuten wegrijden. Ik wou bij de politie toch even informeren wat ik daar allemaal aan kan doen.''

keta
Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:25 AM
When some one has time may they please translate the article for everybody who dosent speak Dutch?? :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Bigkimfan
Dec 3rd, 2002, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the article!!!!!!!!!!!:kiss:

Come on Kim!!!:bounce: :bounce:

fleemke³
Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:41 PM
The article is abut the Fed Cup in April. The matches will be played in Bree, the homeplace of Kim!

Ok it's not far for me and that's nice but i don't think it's a good idea because Bree isn't the centre af Belgium AT ALL!!! Many people will think it's to far to drive

KaseyL
Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:47 PM
Thanks for posting this, Per!

OK, here's what it says:

Kim wil play the fed cup against Austria in April (wasn't confirmed until yesterday). The tie will be played in Bree, in the new sportsfacility there (home of the basketball club of Bree).
The Expodroom has 3000 seats, and good facilities for business seats and all. The organisation will be done by Octagon-cis, they also organise the Antwerp tournament and do the Diamond Night exhibition match.

Lei said that he had demanded a professional organisation. He added that the organisation was below par in Ukkel (against Australia); commercially uninteresting, and uncomfortable for the public (I can confirm that, hell, my back... :( ) There was 1500 people sitting there, which is also not done when you have players like Justine and Kim.
He also said in this interview that the safety there was nil. That shouldn't be repeated again. he said it's not as bad as like with Serena's stalker, but nevertheless... the world top can't be without bodyguards at tournaments. There is always some lunatic walking around.

Lei also mentioned he has been talking to the police in Bree last week. They get about 60 mails and calls a day for Kim, most of them are OK, but some people are really over the edge. Sometimes cars stop in the middle of the night, and then drive on after a few minutes. He wanted to inform at the police what he could do about all that.

KaseyL
Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:55 PM
I'll add all of these posts in the fed cup thread later this week, but I also need to mention here that it isn't certain yet that Kim will play the other Fed cup matches this year (If Belgium wins the first one, of course).

I personally think it's less likely she will, as it will again clash with the tour dates.

Lynx
Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:38 PM
Hi.
Translation follows. It's not very good, but I hope everyone can understand it.
Enjoy! :)

Fed Cup in Bree
With Kim and in Bree - 12-03-2002 (03/12/2002)

Clijsters demands and gets professional organisation Fed Cup 2003

The die is cast: the first round of the Fed Cup 2003 against Austria (april 26-27) will be held in Bree, and with Kim Clijsters. Two very satisfying conclusions. "Consequently, I have been demanding a professional organisation," father Lei Clijsters says.

Justine Henin had already agreed, in principle anyway, to take part in the Fed Cup Campaign of next year. Yesterday Lei Clijsters confirmed that his oldest daughter will at least attend the first confrontation. Battle area will be the Expodroom in Bree.

Bree is Kim's hometown, of course, but the choice is not merely symbolic. The only one-year-old sports complex happens to be an excellent location: 3,000 seats and commercially attractive boxes, in stands which are very close to the arena - so one can be assured of a lively atmosphere. Bob Verbeeck's bureau Octagon-Cis handles everything; they have the experience, since they also handle the WTA tournament in Antwerp and the exhibition matches of the last two years between Clijsters and Henin.

"Last year, when Belgium played Australia in Ukkel, the organisation was sub-standard," Lei Clijsters says. "Unattractive commercially speaking, uncomfortable for the public. Not surprisingly, there never were more than 1,500 people. That's just not acceptable when you have players of the quality of Kim and Justine."

"The players also had cause for complaint. Security, for instance, was non-existent. That's no longer acceptable. It isn't as bad as with that stalker of Serena Williams yet, but still... The top players can't do without bodyguards anymore - not during tournaments. There is almost always some lunatic on the loose, somewhere..."

"Only last week I went to the police for a talk. Every day, Kim receives up to sixty letters and countless telephone calls. Most are okay. Some, however, really aren't. Sometimes, at night, cars stop right in front of the house, standing there for a few minutes before they drive away again. I asked the police if there was anything I could do about that."

(END)

Lynx
Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:42 PM
Oops, I'm too late, it seems.

I didn't see KaseyL's post till I posted mine - that's weird.
Sorry guys.

KaseyL
Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the translation in full, Lynx! No prob; better twice than none! And you did the full one, after all! So please let it here. :kiss:

And I think you haven't been here much yet? You're new, isn't it? Welcome! btw My name is Ingrid (I don't change my name as much as my colleague-mod does ;) )

Hope you have fun here!

per4ever
Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:19 PM
well tx for translating it for the others :)

don't have time to do that:)

my comments on this: IT REALLY SUCKS!!!!!!! Bree has no trainstation...so people have to come by car. They never organised such an event...and it's in a corner of the country.

I'm not going, that's for sure

Lynx
Dec 3rd, 2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by KaseyL
... So please let it here...
I could have deleted it? I didn't know that. How? (Not that I intend to after such a plea.)

Oh, wait - I think I know: "edit" it, and then delete everything in it. But wouldn't that leave an empty post?? :confused:

Anyway, thanks for your welcome, Ingrid. :)

Yes, I'm new - and I'm afraid I may be "new" for a long time, since I'm not a big poster (yet?). I tend to post long, boring messages, rather than many small and exciting ones.

But you can always count on me if you need someone to translate; I actually like to do it (if I have the time). Although you're doing a pretty good job yourself, as far as I can see...

Originally posted by per4ever
... my comment on this: IT REALLY SUCKS ...
... and it's in a corner of the country...
It's a very beautiful corner, though!

But yeah, it's not easy to get there by public transportation. A real pity "they" didn't take that into account... :(

per4ever
Dec 3rd, 2002, 06:31 PM
lynx...when you edit your post, you can choose 'delete post' too..so it's completely gone

KaseyL
Dec 3rd, 2002, 07:58 PM
Going to Bree isn't really great for most of the Belgians. They should have considered that, yes.

Nevertheless, the Expodroom is def. 10 times a better choice than Ukkel was last year (I still feel my butt LOL)...

Lynx
Dec 4th, 2002, 04:30 AM
lynx...when you edit your post, you can choose 'delete post' too..so it's completely gone
Tx Per. :) It's good to know.

per4ever
Dec 4th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Going to Bree isn't really great for most of the Belgians. They should have considered that, yes.

Nevertheless, the Expodroom is def. 10 times a better choice than Ukkel was last year (I still feel my butt LOL)...

yeah me too lol...but the should renovate it in Ukkel..and it would be lots better.

Come-on-kim
Dec 4th, 2002, 08:01 PM
I would have prefer in Ukkel as I'm kotting just near it!! About some minutes by bus!

Bigkimfan
Dec 5th, 2002, 03:26 PM
I'm going!!! For me it's about 5 min. driving!!!:D

Come on Kim!!!!:bounce: :bounce:

Elke
Dec 5th, 2002, 06:30 PM
What do you mean Bree is in a corner of Belgium?
It's just the middle of the world!!:p

KaseyL
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:12 PM
Here's the link to the venue's website:

http://www.expodroom.be/

and the fed Cup website http://www.fedcup.be/

(thanks, Elke! )

KaseyL
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:14 PM
For those who want to go to Bree:

Tickets are on sale since today.
Please order your tickets ASAP, all seats are sold-out already! Only some standing places are still possible....

Elke
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Did you get your tickets, Ingrid?
I tried for more than an hour, over and over again, but I've got four tickets. In the papers, they said you can only get 2, but at ticketservice they changed it to 4.

KaseyL
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:27 PM
No :sad: Elke, I got through rather easily, but they didn't had any tickets left, only these standing places... don't see the point in these... and then for € 35... think I won't see a thing then anyway, I better watch television then, I suppose... :sad:

But glad you got 4 (hope you can sit down?)

Elke
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Come on MSN? please, I'll explain!;)
There still might be a chance!;)

KaseyL
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:39 PM
Okido

Bigkimfan
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:49 PM
I just ordered 2 tickets!:D

Majo
Feb 21st, 2003, 10:11 PM
If some guy you really don't know that well (just through msn), offered you tickets to the fedcup, to sit in the box with Lley and Lei, would you take this offer? (i mean: it's kinda risky, since we don't know what his intentions are and all...) maybe he's just lying, 'cause it can't be that simple to get tickets in that box, can it?

Please answer us, guys, 'cause we really don't know whether to take it or not....

Greetz, Lies and Majo

[Mod message:

I've moved this thread to the Fed Cup one, for filing reasons

Ingrid]

Bigkimfan
Feb 21st, 2003, 10:17 PM
You don't know him at all??????:confused:

shakya
Feb 21st, 2003, 10:20 PM
maybe its lleyton (undercover)

Bigkimfan
Feb 21st, 2003, 10:22 PM
I would do it (but I'm a guy)!:o

KaseyL
Feb 21st, 2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by majo
If some guy you really don't know that well (just through msn), offered you tickets to the fedcup, to sit in the box with Lley and Lei, would you take this offer? (i mean: it's kinda risky, since we don't know what his intentions are and all...) maybe he's just lying, 'cause it can't be that simple to get tickets in that box, can it?

Please answer us, guys, 'cause we really don't know whether to take it or not....

Greetz, Lies and Majo

One advice: DON'T

you're going to be screwed (to put it so bluntly)

these places go to selected people (who normally don't pay at all, like friends, family...).
There will be a number of VIP seats too, I've read, but they come through companies.

Majo
Feb 21st, 2003, 10:25 PM
well, he kinda got in touch with me about a week and a half ago, through my site... then he asked me if i liked tennis, 'cause he lives in bree, and told me he knew kim... i aksed him: "but do you know her personally, or just like all the people in bree do?"
he said he did realy know her... (i actually didn't really believe him...) and that's how we started to talk, but now he mentioned those tickets, and I really want to go... and so i need to know if it's possible he DOEs have tickets for that box lei en lley are in...

-xxxxxxx-

Bigkimfan
Feb 21st, 2003, 10:30 PM
Ask him something only fans know (or people that live in Bree!) so you can see if he's lying!

KaseyL
Feb 21st, 2003, 10:32 PM
Majo, this is 100% fishy.

And if, if he'd really have tickets he won't use, there are tens of people he easily could give (sell) them to, just in Bree alone. Don't need to start talking to strangers for that.
I wouldn't believe any of it at all, if I were you.

Bigkimfan
Feb 21st, 2003, 10:38 PM
Majo, this is 100% fishy.

And if, if he'd really have tickets he won't use, there are tens of people he easily could give (sell) them to, just in Bree alone. Don't need to start talking to strangers for that.
I wouldn't believe any of it at all, if I were you.

You're right! but what if he really has VIPtickets (small chance though):o ??

lies
Feb 21st, 2003, 11:02 PM
my idea was ,since he pretends to know the clijsters family that good,to ask him their phonenumber and then ring them to check on the guy.But....neither of us dares to call lei...
and then i came up with this:we accept it and when he gets too..you know..urrgh...we would play a lesbian couple:D but naah..too risky,isn't?

majo and i just decided we will not do it because the risk is just too big...we thank you guys for your great advice but i guess we shall have to follow the fedcup in our own chair imagining we're sitting next to lleyton.....

xxxxxxxxxxxliesxxxxxxxxxx

Hawk
Feb 21st, 2003, 11:03 PM
I have to agree that sounds pretty fishy..seems way too good to be true.

KaseyL
Feb 21st, 2003, 11:12 PM
I've just been talking about this with majo:

the guy pretends he has 6 tickets out of the 40 for Clijsters. yeah, hello. and he sells them for € 175 each.

Now, besides my other reasons posted above, the Clijsters family alone is already way above 40, then there are friends and all...
if this was for charity, I still might believe this could be possible. But why on earth would they allow that strangers would be sitting in their box?

No way I believe this.
And I'd like to warn everybody to be very, very careful if you would get such stunning -to good to be true- offers for tickets.

btw I'll go doing some checking on this.

Fieke
Feb 21st, 2003, 11:22 PM
I agree with everybody else here: don't do it, it sounds very fishy imo. And if you do go, please be careful and take a male friend or something with you. NEVER trust guys meet over the internet. I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you.

This might sound a bit dramatic, but really, nowadays you can't be too careful.

Emza
Feb 21st, 2003, 11:50 PM
That's the thing with the Internet, you should never ever assume that the people you are contacting are who they say they are. Most of the time, probably 99% of the time, they are legitimate. But it's really up to you and your judgement and whether you want or care enough to take up a total stranger on their offer. In the end it's down to you.

*climb off soapbox*;)

~|Naomi|~
Feb 22nd, 2003, 01:15 AM
I didn't think that Llleyton will be in Bree for the FEDCUP won't he have to be in Sweden to play Davis Cup?:confused:

Kim_for_number_1
Feb 22nd, 2003, 11:18 AM
1 advice: don't believe it! 6 from the 40 tickets?? come on... :rolleyes: and why would he give those to strangers??
mmm, sounds too :devil: for me

Ashie_87
Feb 23rd, 2003, 05:58 AM
ok i know im new here and everything but i still wouldnt do it!
you might REALLY want to but its really risky. He could be a homicidal maniac or something (well maybe not really but you never know)

Lleykimmy1
Feb 23rd, 2003, 11:02 AM
Don't believe it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Majo
Feb 23rd, 2003, 09:42 PM
hey ingrid

was wondering if you've found out anything 'bout the fake-ticket seller...

thx for going through all the trouble of asking btw...

greetz, marjolein

Bigkimfan
Feb 23rd, 2003, 09:47 PM
I was also wondering if Ingrid already knows more about that guy!;)

budgirlbz
Feb 24th, 2003, 01:04 PM
DON'T DO IT! YOU DON'T KNOW THIS GUY!
It's not worth it!

Nina_rus
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:06 PM
I don't know what the stadiums are like in Belgium but here, for example at the Kremlin Cup, if you have a VIP ticket you can easily go and sit next to the players family, there are no special tickets for Player Boxes , the VIP and the player friends and family are in the same area.

But I still wouldn't risk...how does he want to give them to you? meet somewhere? are they expensive?

fleemke³
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:15 PM
I wouldn't do it but if somebody's interested in a ticket for the Fed Cup in Bree plz PM me :)
I bought tickets by the VTV (20 for saturday/20 for sunday) I got some tickets left

grtzz

per4ever
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:34 PM
oh and I can assure you all that fleemke is not fake ;)

fleemke³
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:53 PM
oh and I can assure you all that fleemke is not fake ;)

Thx K'tje ;)

I can scan the bill if you guys need proof :o:o:o

KaseyL
Feb 24th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by majo
hey ingrid

was wondering if you've found out anything 'bout the fake-ticket seller...

thx for going through all the trouble of asking btw...

greetz, marjolein

LOL, hey, I'm not an investigator! :D

Nah, I'm just informing the organisation (Octagon's Bob Verbeeck) that this is 'on offer'.
If I get a reply (which I think I will) I'll post it here.

ans
Mar 4th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Does anyone know whether there are still tickets for the Fed Cup in Bree? I can't find any website about it and I hear that everything has already been sold out! I so wanted to go! :sad: :sad:
greetz :wavey:

[Mod message:
Ans, I hope you'll get some tickets. Thumbs up!

I've moved this thread to the fed cup one

Ingrid]

kimmekefan
Mar 4th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Does anyone know whether there are still tickets for the Fed Cup in Bree? I can't find any website about it and I hear that everything has already been sold out! I so wanted to go! :sad: :sad:
yes, on the site www.sport.be/fedcup/

Fieke
Mar 5th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Did you read this thread? Fleemke has some extra tickets and is selling them.

http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=58808

KaseyL
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:14 PM
LOL, hey, I'm not an investigator! :D

Nah, I'm just informing the organisation (Octagon's Bob Verbeeck) that this is 'on offer'.
If I get a reply (which I think I will) I'll post it here.

as promised:

Here's Bob Verbeeck's reply:

I don't translate it, as it's pretty irrelevant for non-Belgians I suppose.

---

Beste Ingrid,

Bedankt voor de tip.
Wij zullen het nodige doen ten opzichte van "zwartverkoop".

Nog veel tennisplezier,

Bob

---

To anyone still looking for tickets:
please be very careful when you buy them from other people... and don't believe anything (and don't pay anything) before you see it with your own eyes... also remember that you still could have fake tickets in your hands, so be very, very careful. There are always frauds trying to make money when the demand for tickets is way higher than the available ones.

fleemke³
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:19 PM

[Mod message:
Ans, I hope you'll get some tickets. Thumbs up!

I've moved this thread to the fed cup one

Ingrid]

Ans you can contact me for it :)

ans
Mar 6th, 2003, 11:21 AM
Ans you can contact me for it :)

hey fleemke, would be great! I've just sent an sms to my friend to ask her what she thinks about it, but this is the only way I know to contact you, so I hope you're reading this. Hope you've still got tickets left. Thanks anyway :worship: :worship:
Oh, Ingrid, sorry I made a whole new thread for this question :)

ans
Mar 6th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Fleemke, hope you'll see my message here. I would really like to buy two of yoyr cards. Is it still possible? If so, you can put two aside for me! Would be so great!!! :bounce:

fleemke³
Mar 6th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Fleemke, hope you'll see my message here. I would really like to buy two of yoyr cards. Is it still possible? If so, you can put two aside for me! Would be so great!!! :bounce:

contact me
superfleemke@hotmail.com

Majo
Mar 6th, 2003, 05:45 PM
as promised:

Here's Bob Verbeeck's reply:

I don't translate it, as it's pretty irrelevant for non-Belgians I suppose.

---

Beste Ingrid,

Bedankt voor de tip.
Wij zullen het nodige doen ten opzichte van "zwartverkoop".

Nog veel tennisplezier,

Bob

---

To anyone still looking for tickets:
please be very careful when you buy them from other people... and don't believe anything (and don't pay anything) before you see it with your own eyes... also remember that you still could have fake tickets in your hands, so be very, very careful. There are always frauds trying to make money when the demand for tickets is way higher than the available ones.

thx for posting this!
nice to know the organisation knows about it now... :)

ans
Mar 6th, 2003, 05:53 PM
contact me
superfleemke@hotmail.com
I can't contact you at this email address, hotmail ánd yahoo claim it doesn't exist

ans
Mar 6th, 2003, 05:58 PM
it's ok, fleemke, I was able to send it. :)

Bigkimfan
Mar 29th, 2003, 07:47 PM
[mod message:
moved thread to existing Fed Cup thread as it belongs there]

26-27 april in the Expodroom in Bree!!! :bounce:

this is the site:
http://www.sport.be/fedcup/

so who is going?? :D

Elke
Mar 29th, 2003, 07:56 PM
Me! :D:bounce:
Only on Sunday...

Bigkimfan
Mar 29th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Me! :D:bounce:
Only on Sunday...

I'm also going! ;)

ans
Mar 30th, 2003, 11:49 AM
me too, on Sunday. I don't know yet how I'll get there, 'cause I don't have a car :D But I'll certainly be there :bounce:

Lleykimmy1
Mar 30th, 2003, 05:44 PM
You are realy lucky to live in Belgium !! I really would like to go watching the Fed Cup but I'll soon have exams so I can't, but I'm sure Belgium (and Kim !) will win !!!!!!!

dragamuffin
Apr 10th, 2003, 02:21 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Maybe this is a bit soon, or late for that matter, but what's the news on the Fed Cup? Does anyone know if anything special will be organized in Bree? Or is there anybody out there who wants to share his or her plans?
I'm anxious to find out!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

KaseyL
Apr 10th, 2003, 09:12 PM
Dragamuffin, :wavey: think you didn't post in here so far, therefore: welcome in the CCL!

You can present yourself (only if you want to) in the thread http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=54292

We have already a thread about the Fed cup in Bree, so I have transferred your new thread to the existing one.

Your mod,

Ingrid

possie
Apr 12th, 2003, 03:40 AM
Can't wait to get lots of Fed Cup reports from all you Belgians :bounce: (or anyone else who gets coverage!). Alas, we poor Aussies probably won't get more than a score in the sports section of the news paper *sigh*.

And to anyone who's going to watch *very jealous*.....have a fantastic time :) and give some cheers for Kim from me :kiss: :kiss: .

nicky
Apr 19th, 2003, 07:29 PM
I found an article in last thursdays "Het Nieuwsblad". Translated it the best I could.

Henin is going for Fed Cup 2003, but what will Clijsters do?

Bree ready for big party

Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin already brougt the Fed Cup to Belgium in 2001, this year they want to repeat that stunt. On April 26th and 27th their mission starts against Austria. It won’t be exiting, it will be festive however. Could hardly be anything else, with 8.800 fans in Clijsters’ backyard. Question is: will Clijsters participate in the quarterfinales in juli?

The first clay has already arrived in the nearly sold out Expodroom in Bree. Belgium will be in full battle force with Clijsters, Henin, Callens and Maes. Monday captain Ivo Van Aken and his players start preparations.
Austria doesn’t mean much and on top of that it's severely handicapped without its 2 Barbara’s. Barbara Schwartz (WTA 112) is injured for a longer period of time, and Barbara Schett(WTA 50) forfaited yesterday without naming a reason. Patricia Wartusch (WTA 76) is the highest ranked now, Evelyn Fauth (WTA 164) and Sybille Bammer (WTA 175) are also part of the team. The fourth player isn’t known yet.
Winning gives Belgium a quarterfinal showdown with titleholder Slovakia, the team of Daniela Hantuchova (note : if they win their first round of course) . “Henin and Callens will certainly be there, they committed for the whole Fed Cup. Only Clijsters isn’t sure yet”, Van Aken says, obviously less optimistic than federation chairman Yves Freson. Clijsters is playing the week after in Stanford, and didn’t play the quarterfinal last year against Italy, just like Henin (Italy 4-Belgium 1).
Belgium will have home advantage again if playing Slovakia (July 19-20) . “The Spiroudrome in Charleroi is the most obvious location than”, organiser Bob Verbeeck says. He plans to get the finalround to our country as well if Clijsters & Co qualify. On paper, Belgium should be able to steam through to the semi’s against the USA. In the other half France and Russia are favorites.

There is a photo with the winning Fed Fup team 2001 with the article, but I do not have a scanner...

:wavey:

~|Naomi|~
Apr 20th, 2003, 01:25 AM
I hope Kim plays :) and that Belgium hosts the finals :)

baico
Apr 20th, 2003, 12:48 PM
me too, on Sunday. I don't know yet how I'll get there, 'cause I don't have a car :D But I'll certainly be there :bounce:

you can take the train to Neerpelt, and then by Bus

where do you take a train?

Ashie_87
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:59 AM
thanks for the article :worship:

KINGHINGIS
Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:14 PM
Fed Cup Preview now on www.teamwta.com all matches

KaseyL
Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:42 PM
Fed Cup Preview now on www.teamwta.com all matches

thanks

Mod message:

I'll move your thread to our fed cup thread, though (for filing reasons).

Ingrid

Bigkimfan
Apr 23rd, 2003, 12:53 PM
I just heard on the news that Kim has a sore throat... :sad: :sad: She didn't train with the fedcup-team today because her doctor advised her to get some rest... :sad: :sad: Normally, she should be fine by the time she plays the fed cup (this weekend)! ;)

TAKE CARE KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

[mod message:
as this thread belongs in the fed cup news, I've moved it there for filing reasons.

Ingrid]

Fieke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:31 PM
Take care Kim! Make sure you've recovered well enough by this weekend to kick some Austrian butts ;)

Aussie_Kim
Apr 23rd, 2003, 01:33 PM
I just heard on the news that Kim has a sore throat... :sad: :sad: She didn't train with the fedcup-team today because her doctor advised her to get some rest... :sad: :sad: Normally, she should be fine by the time she plays the fed cup (this weekend)! ;)

TAKE CARE KIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Get well Kim! :kiss:
I hope she's not sick, or I'll be :sad: !

Hope its just something that's been over exaggerated by the media. Are they like that in Belgium :confused:

fleemke³
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:33 PM
Grieperige Kim komt zeker in actie
Woensdag kreeg Kim Clijsters een lichte griepaanval. De dokter kwam op bezoek en schreef haar medicatie voor. Haar deelname aan de Fed Cup komt niet in gevaar. België kan op volle sterkte Oostenrijk partij geven.

Somebody who wants to translate it ;)

jenglisbe
Apr 23rd, 2003, 02:49 PM
Is it me or has Kim had a lot of little illnesses this year?

Fieke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 03:19 PM
Grieperige Kim komt zeker in actie
Woensdag kreeg Kim Clijsters een lichte griepaanval. De dokter kwam op bezoek en schreef haar medicatie voor. Haar deelname aan de Fed Cup komt niet in gevaar. België kan op volle sterkte Oostenrijk partij geven.

Somebody who wants to translate it ;)

Very free translation:

Kim has a touch of flu but will definitely play

On Wednesday Kim got a light touch of the flu. A doctor was summoned, who prescribed her some medication. Kim's participation in the Fed Cup will not be in danger. Belgium will be able to play Austria at full strength.

Majo
Apr 23rd, 2003, 04:24 PM
Get well soon kim :kiss:

Lleykimmy1
Apr 23rd, 2003, 05:16 PM
Get well soon Kim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!¨

:wavey: :wavey: :kiss: :wavey: :wavey:

kit
Apr 23rd, 2003, 06:39 PM
I hope you'll soon be better,Kim. :kiss:

angele87
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:19 PM
Get well soon Kimmie :kiss:

Stefke
Apr 23rd, 2003, 07:24 PM
Oh poor Kimmy:sad:
Hope you get well soon Kimmy!!!:kiss:

Come-on-kim
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:03 PM
Get well as soon as possible Kimmie

E. Blackadder
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:27 PM
Imagine Kim is too sick and cannot play in her own town for Fed Cup :o

Bigkimfan
Apr 23rd, 2003, 08:49 PM
Imagine Kim is too sick and cannot play in her own town for Fed Cup :o

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

ans
Apr 23rd, 2003, 09:09 PM
gisteren is vogelpest uitgebroken in Bree...wie weet? ;)
nee, ik mag er niet mee lachen want ik ga zelf naar de Fed Cup zondag, dus "da ze ma es rappekes uit haar bed komt" :bounce:

(sorry for my Dutch-speaking!)

Kornelija
Apr 24th, 2003, 10:59 AM
I found an article in http://www.sport.be/nl/. I personally don't speak dutch but I think it said Kim was not going to play against Austria because she has a flu??? :confused: :eek:

Kornelija
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:02 AM
the title says this:

Belgiė begint met een vat vol vertrouwen aan de Fed Cup-ontmoeting met Oostenrijk. En daar kan een zieke Kim Clijsters niets aan veranderen.

Perhaps someone could translate for non-speaking-dutch people??? Please! :kiss:

duck
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:04 AM
I found an article in http://www.sport.be/nl/. I personally don't speak dutch but I think it said Kim was not going to play against Austria because she has a flu??? :confused: :eek:

No it says that she tested negative for flu and she will certainly play on Saturday.

Bigkimfan
Apr 24th, 2003, 11:06 AM
the title says this:

Belgiė begint met een vat vol vertrouwen aan de Fed Cup-ontmoeting met Oostenrijk. En daar kan een zieke Kim Clijsters niets aan veranderen.

Perhaps someone could translate for non-speaking-dutch people??? Please! :kiss:

don't worry! ;) They're almost 100% sure Kim is going to play this weekend! ;)

KaseyL
Apr 24th, 2003, 12:11 PM
This is the latest re Kim's illness:

Source: De Standaard, April 24, 2003

Clijsters has a cold but is fit to play

(translated by Ingrid)

Bree

Kim Clijsters is a bit sick, but she will be ready for the first round of the Fed Cup against Austria on Saturday.

Belgian Fed Cup captain Ivo Van Aken: "Kim couldn't practise on Tuesday and Wednesday and had to stay in her hotel room. We feared it was the flu, but blood tests in Gasthuisberg [= a Belgian leading hospital in Leuven] proved it was just a tough cold. Luckily, or the other girls and I had to take some medicins as a precaution otherwise.
Rest assured, Kim will be on court on Saturday. But in the other case Els Callens would have been also ready to play singles, you know."

---

The Belgian captain was also interviewed on the TV news of Flemish public station TV1 yesterday. The same info there, adding that Kim had seen the doctor on Tuesday evening, and then again Wednesday morning, confirming that there was no need to be worried for Kim's Fed Cup appearance on court this weekend.

Aussie_Kim
Apr 24th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Is it me or has Kim had a lot of little illnesses this year?

I dunno if its just me but I've been noticing a patter. Everytime she goes home to Belgium she seems to get sick?
Maybe she needs LLeyton to make her better? ;)

Anyway, get well soon Kim! :hearts:

KaseyL
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:29 PM
Last updates:

According to Belgian news, Kim has been hitting with Els Callens yesterday, she was still feeling a bit dizzy but will be Ok for tomorrow.

Programme Saturday:

Kim vs Fauth (2 PM)

Justine vs Wartusch

Kim will also open the matches on Sunday, playing Wartusch then.

TV schedule

live on Belgian channels La Deux (2 PM) and Kanaal 2 (2.15 PM), NOT on Eurosport.

KINGHINGIS
Apr 25th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Fed Cup Draw is now available at www.teamwta.com

[Mod message:
Thanks!

I've moved your post to the existing fed cup thread, for filing reasons.]

Elleke
Apr 25th, 2003, 05:44 PM
finally again kim on tv! can't wait to see her play again :D

Kornelija
Apr 25th, 2003, 07:24 PM
don't worry! ;) They're almost 100% sure Kim is going to play this weekend! ;)

Thank you so much!! You really calmed me down!!! :kiss: :)

Kornelija
Apr 25th, 2003, 07:31 PM
Fed Cup Draw is now available at www.teamwta.com

Thankx!!!

Bigkimfan
Apr 25th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Last updates:

According to Belgian news, Kim has been hitting with Els Callens yesterday, she was still feeling a bit dizzy but will be Ok for tomorrow.

Programme Saturday:

Kim vs Fauth (2 PM)

Justine vs Wartusch

Kim will also open the matches on Sunday, playing Wartusch then.

TV schedule

live on Belgian channels La Deux (2 PM) and Kanaal 2 (2.15 PM), NOT on Eurosport.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :kiss:

Bigkimfan
Apr 25th, 2003, 09:51 PM
finally again kim on tv! can't wait to see her play again :D

me too!!! :bounce: ;)

KaseyL
Apr 26th, 2003, 12:46 AM
me too!!! :bounce: ;)

Kim has been interviewed on Belgian TV on Friday (Dutch interview).

For people who have missed it or would like to watch it: here's the link:

http://www.vtm.be/nieuws/index_bekijkonline.htm

go to "VRIJDAG 25/4"

then select the "19u" : click there on "breedband" or "modem" (depending on what kind of connection you have). Be patient, as the interview is towards the end of the news.

! This doesn't stay up too long, so make sure you watch it within the next seven days.

Can someone maybe do some translation?
I've seen the news, but can't recall all she said (it went so fast LOL, I was too late for taping it).

All I can say about it is that Kim looked OK, and that she said she was basically playing in her backyard, that it was so close to her home, that they were going to take one match in a time LOL, things like that...

There is an article about the interview with Kim in Saturday's De Standaard, I've already read it but it needs translating I won't have time for now. I'll post it here in Dutch then, in case someone would like to do a translation?

KaseyL
Apr 26th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Source: De Standaard, April 26, 2003

FOR TRANSLATION PLEASE

Oostenrijks opwarmertje voor Belgische toppers
TENNIS
BRUSSEL -- Laten we de zaken vooral niet moeilijker voorstellen dan ze zijn. België plaatst zich dit weekend voor de kwartfinales van de Fed Cup 2003. Punt uit. Oostenrijk mag dan het land van de Weense wals zijn, qua tennis is België het land van de pletwals. Als Kim Clijsters nóg meer thuisvoordeel wil dan in de Expodroom van Bree, dan zal ze toch letterlijk in de tuin achter haar ouderlijke huis moeten spelen.

Natuurlijk wordt het in Bree andermaal een Belgisch tennisfeest, zij het ietsje intiemer dan tijdens het WTA-tornooi van Antwerpen twee maanden geleden. De zaal is hypermodern, sfeervol én uitverkocht. Als de Oostenrijkse dametjes al geïntimideerd zijn door de namen van hun gereputeerde tegenstandsters, dan zal het vocale geweld van tweemaal 4.400 tricolore supporters het er niet beter op maken.

Patricia Wartusch is bij afwezigheid van Schett en Schwartz de frontvrouw van de bezoekers. Ze sneuvelde dit jaar in zeven van haar tien tornooien in de eerste ronde, kende alleen in Doha een opflakkering met een halve finale. Eén keer stunten tegen Clijsters of Henin? Ach, alles kan. Volgens de gangbare sportclichés toch. Maar de beide Belgische toppers kloppen in één weekend? Zeker niet. En eventuele angst voor tweede enkelspeelster Evelyn Fauth is niet meer dan angst voor het onbekende.

België verloor vorige zomer in de kwartfinales van de Fed Cup met 4-1 van Italië. Geen verrassing, want dat gebeurde zonder Clijsters en Henin. Dit jaar behoort de wereldtitel voor vrouwenteams eind november wél tot de mogelijkheden. Henin engageerde zich al voor de volledige campagne en kapitein Ivo Van Aken maakt zich sterk dat hij ook voor 100% op Clijsters zal kunnen rekenen.

,,Of ik ooit dichter bij huis tenniste? Nee, vier minuten fietsen en ik sta aan de voordeur'', lacht Kim Clijsters. Ze woont inderdaad op een boogscheut van de Expodroom en ze zal best aardig op de trappers kunnen duwen, maar dan nog. Kan een heuse wereldster in Bree dan echt nog de straat op zonder dat ze voortdurend wordt aangeklampt en dus onderweg veel tijd verliest? ,,Jazeker. Ik kwam de voorbije weken elke dag in het stadscentrum. De mensen kennen mij en ik ken de mensen. Natuurlijk vragen ze altijd vanalles, maar dat vind ik logisch. Lastiggevallen? Nog nooit.''

Kim Clijsters (19) weet verrassend veel over de toch obscure Oostenrijkse ploeg waartegen ze dit weekend speelt. ,,Ik ken ze allemaal. Van Evelyne Fauth heb ik een jaar of vijf, zes geleden zelfs een keer verloren. Het was op gravel, ik denk in een 25.000-dollartornooi. Yvonne Meusburger herinner ik me nog van het juniorencircuit en Patricia Wartusch ben ik in het dubbelspel al tegengekomen.''

Clijsters kucht, hoest en snottert nog een beetje, maar ze oogt fris. ,,Ben ik ook. Ik voel me goed. Die verkoudheid is zo goed als voorbij en die break na Key Biscayne heeft me ontzettend veel deugd gedaan. Ik denk zelfs dat ik nooit eerder een volle maand rust nam. Mentaal en fysiek was dat een uitstekende zaak. Wat shoppen, optrekken met familie en vrienden, spelen met de honden. Super! Ik voel me klaar om aan het gravelseizoen te beginnen. En waar kan dat beter dan hier in Bree?''

,,Ik ben niet nerveuzer dan anders. Wat niet betekent dat ik helemaal niet zenuwachtig ben. Dat ben ik altijd voor een wedstrijd. Anders zou ik slecht en nonchalant tennissen en dat kan niemand zich permitteren. Ook niet tegen dit Oostenrijk, al is onze tegenstander hier zonder zijn beste speelsters. We moeten opletten, want ze hebben niks te verliezen.''

Zonder te spelen werd Clijsters begin vorige week tweede op de wereldranglijst. Na Serena, voor Venus. Het verandert haar houding ten opzichte van rankings echter niet: ,,Wel mooi hoor, daar niet van. Maar het is echt absoluut geen doel. Ik wil me lekker voelen. Dat Justine Henin wel brandt van ambitie om ooit nummer één te worden? Tja, iedereen ziet die dingen op zijn manier.''

Van Henin gesproken: die zat er een beetje onwennig bij gisteren. Voor haar moet het toch ook vreemd zijn om vast te stellen dat er een verschil bestaat tussen thuis spelen en thuis spelen. Of niet? ,,Nee, hoor'', schokschoudert de Waalse. ,,We spelen dit weekend in België, niet exclusief in Bree. Ik ben er zeker van dat de fans heus niet alleen voor Kim zullen supporteren.''

Programma Zaterdag (vanaf 14 uur) 1. Kim Clijsters-Evelyn Fauth, 2. Justine Henin-Patricia Wartusch. Zondag (vanaf 13.30 uur) 1. Kim Clijsters-Patricia Wartusch, 2. Justine Henin-Evelyn Fauth, 3. Els Callens/Caroline Maes-Patricia Wartusch/Yvonne Meusburger.

Op televisie. Alle matchen van België-Oostenrijk worden live uitgezonden op Kanaal 2. Zaterdag begint het verslag om 14.15 uur, zondag om 13.30 uur. Het commentaar is van Kris Croonen, die voor de gelegenheid Carl Maes aan zijn zijde heeft.
----

Beware, tickets for Antwerp 2004 are on sale as of Monday!!!

So I've added this little note too:

Nu al tickets Antwerpen. Maandag start de ticketverkoop voor de Diamond Games 2004. Het WTA-tornooi van Antwerpen valt wel een week later dan dit jaar, namelijk van 13 tot 22 februari. Dan komt doordat de hele WTA-kalender een week wordt opgeschoven. De deelname van Kim Clijsters, Justine Henin en Venus Williams is ook volgend jaar gegarandeerd. Als Venus voor de derde keer op rij wint, mag ze het racket (van goud en diamant) definitief mag houden.

Antwerpen was ook dit jaar een groot succes. Niet alleen sportief, met Venus als winnares in een finale tegen Clijsters, maar ook financieel. Organisator Bob Verbeeck boekte een positief resultaat van 300.000 euro. Opgeteld bij de winst van 200.000 euro uit 2001 vormt dat een mooie buffer. ,,Noodzakelijk om de toekomst van het tornooi te garanderen, ook wanneer Clijsters en Henin er ooit mee stoppen. We willen in 2005 een Tier I-tornooi worden. Na de Grand Slams zijn dat de negen toptornooien. Het spreekt voor zich dat dan ook het prijzengeld omhoog moet.''

Tele Ticket Service op het telefoonnummer 070/345.345

(I should charge them for free advertising) :p

KaseyL
Apr 26th, 2003, 01:10 AM
A last thingy before I head to bed LOL:

who's volunteering to post some live reports, impressions... anything re the matches please?

I THINK I will post short impressions in between, no promise though, I'm not so good at watching tennis and writing about it at the same time :o :p if Kim is playing that is

Anyone bitte?

Come-on-kim
Apr 26th, 2003, 07:59 AM

who's volunteering to post some live reports, impressions... anything re the matches please?

I THINK I will post short impressions in between, no promise though, I'm not so good at watching tennis and writing about it at the same time :o :p if Kim is playing that is

Anyone bitte?
Perhaps after the match ;) but I'm supposed to study :rolleye:

Elke
Apr 26th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Anyone bitte?
:wavey: I'll try! :angel:

duck
Apr 26th, 2003, 05:28 PM
BREE, Belgium (Reuters) -- World No. 2 Kim Clijsters shrugged off the rustiness of being out of action for a month to beat Evelyn Fauth 4-6 6-2 6-2 and give Belgium a 1-0 lead in their Fed Cup first-round tie with Austria on Saturday.

Off the circuit since the end of March, Clijsters looked out of touch in the early stages but recovered well to win in one hour 41 minutes and put Belgium in command ahead of the second singles between world number four Justine Henin-Hardenne and Patricia Wartusch.

In front of her home town crowd, Clijsters made a number of uncharacteristic errors from the baseline to allow Fauth, world-ranked 162, to come from a break down to snatch the first set.

Clijsters then stepped up the power in the second set and two breaks, in the third and seventh games, helped her level the match.

The pair traded breaks in the third set before Fauth dropped her serve again in the fifth game, giving Clijsters the edge to clinch victory.

Bigkimfan
Apr 26th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Well done Kim!!! :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship:

KINGHINGIS
Apr 26th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Fed Cup Latest at www.teamwta.com

[Mod message:

thanks for info.

moved thread to existing Fed Cup one for filing reasons.

Your mod,

Ingrid]

fifiricci
Apr 26th, 2003, 07:10 PM
There's better stuff - reports and photos of today's play (about six of Kim), at www.fedcup.com

[mod message:

moved post to existing thread re Fed Cup]

KINGHINGIS
Apr 27th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Belguim into quarterfinals more details at www.teamwta.com

[Mod message:

moved thread to existing Fed Cup one, for filing reasons.]

Aussie_Kim
Apr 27th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I saw on the fedcup website
( http://www.fedcup.com )
Belgium will have to play either Germany or Solvak Republic in the quarters. AT THE MOMMENT SLOVAK REPUBLIC IS LEADING GERMANY 2-1, but its still undecided.

Kim played really well in her match today. She was a bit rusty yesterday but no signs of that today it would seem. Ells Callens has now been sent in to play the fourth rubber so Justine must be resting?

The other teams to make it through so far are Russia, France, Slovenia and Spain [ :-( I wanted the Aussies to win.) Sweeden and Italy are tied at 2 rubbers a piece, USA haven't played yet today but Im certain they will win coz Venus and Serena are playing. So the only other undecided tie is the Slovak vs Germany one.

Well thats all. Good news for BELGIUM. I think they will be able to win the qurters no matter which team makes it through.

[Mod message:

moved post to existing Fed Cup thread for filing reasons.]

kit
Apr 27th, 2003, 05:42 PM
Well done Belgium!!! :worship:

angele87
Apr 27th, 2003, 09:36 PM
Clijsters Refuses to Commit to Fed Quarter-Finals
1 hour, 25 minutes ago Add Sports - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Simon Cambers

BREE, Belgium (Reuters) - Kim Clijsters engineered Belgium's 5-0 Fed Cup first-round whitewash of Austria by winning all three of her matches but on Sunday refused to commit herself for her country's quarter-final against Slovakia in July.

Scheduled to play a WTA event in Stanford the week after the Slovakia clash, the world number two was worried the long journey could hamper her chances of victory in the Californian event.

"I'm not sure if I'll play," Clijsters said. "I don't like the idea of all that traveling and the jet-lag. I'm still not sure."

Clijsters refused to disclose any further details but if she decided to skip the tie, it would put a huge burden on Justine Henin-Hardenne to pull off a win against the Daniela Hantuchova-led Slovakia.

Last year, the 2001 champions went out to Italy in the quarter-finals after both Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne chose to concentrate on their WTA tour commitments.

But Belgian number two Henin-Hardenne confirmed she would definitely play in the July tie.

"I think last year I tried something different, to play at Stanford, and it didn't work. But that's not why I'm playing Fed Cup," Henin-Hardenne said.

"I said last year I would be coming back and it's because I realize that Fed Cup is important for me. I enjoy playing in a team situation and it is good for my game."

"It has to be a personal choice. Everyone has their own personal feelings and she's (Clijsters) got to make her choice about what's best and how it fits in."

However, both players said they were looking forward to the possibility of a semi-final showdown with the United States in November, provided they can get past Slovakia.

"It is perhaps a little early but it would be a great match," Clijsters said. "I'm sure Justine and I will be very motivated for that one."

Henin-Hardenne, the only player so far in 2003 to beat world number one Serena Williams (news - web sites), said challenges like playing the Williams sisters was something she always relished.

"Serena and Venus are a very good team of course but it is great for Belgium to have two top players and a great team and I think we have a great chance."

ans
Apr 27th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Wow, it was really fun in Bree! Kim played very well today, much better than yesterday. There were two girls in the audience who were quite funny, they were freaking out every time kim appeared. :D I wonder if they are member of this board? It was a day to remember!
Congratulations to Kim, Justine, Els and Caroline!! :bounce:

Frau Antje
Apr 27th, 2003, 10:31 PM
I've also been there, and yes, it was really great :D

Aussie_Kim
Apr 29th, 2003, 02:36 PM
Elke and/ or Ingrid ( or anyone who knows ) I was just wondering if the booklet got delivered to Kim?? Sorry if u have already answered this in another thread.

Elke
Apr 29th, 2003, 02:51 PM
I gave it to Marc, no doubt kim got it! ;)

baico
Apr 29th, 2003, 03:38 PM
I've also been there, and yes, it was really great :D

I saw you there, and recognised you, at that moment one of my fellow-workers shouted at me to help him, I never saw you back later :(
P.S What did Kim wrote on that beautiful pic :cool: ?

possie
Apr 29th, 2003, 11:12 PM
I gave it to Marc, no doubt kim got it! ;)

Thankyou Elke :kiss: :kiss: . Do you think we will hear any response from Kim?

Sun
Apr 30th, 2003, 02:28 PM
A late thanks for putting the booklet together!

KaseyL
Apr 30th, 2003, 09:45 PM
A late thanks for putting the booklet together!

You're welcome!

Lleykimmy1
May 1st, 2003, 08:21 AM
Thank you very much Ingrid and Elke !!!!!!!! :wavey: :worship:

KaseyL
May 1st, 2003, 01:55 PM
People who would like to see a TV spot re Fed Cup (not the Belgacom one *cough*):

there is one online: http://www.sport.be/fedcup/
then click 'TV spot'. :) (at the left)
! you need Quicktime!

KaseyL
May 1st, 2003, 08:58 PM
Digging into an article harvest...

This is part of an article written by press agency AFP:

April 27, 2003
The US, upset in the first round last year, advanced to a quarterfinal clash with Italy, who beat Sweden 3-2.

But a more intriguing match-up could be further down the road as Belgium moved a step closer to an explosive semifinal clash with the United States with a 5-0 whitewash of Austria in Bree.

Kim Clijsters, the world number two, defeated Patricia Wartusch 6-2 6-2 to give her team an unassailable lead and a place in the quarterfinals where they will face holders Slovakia, who defeated Germany.

Should they get through that, Belgium will almost certainly face the United States, although Clijsters was only looking as far ahead as the next round.

"It's maybe a little soon to look that far ahead but it would be a great match," Clijsters said.

"Justine (Henin-Hardenne) and I would be really motivated for that one."

With the tie wrapped up Henin-Hardenne decided to leave the stage clear for veteran Els Callens to come in and clinch a 7-6 (7/0), 6-2 win over Evelyn Fauth, before Clijsters and Callens then completed the whitewash with a 6-2, 6-2 win in the doubles over Sybille Bammer and Yvonne Meusburger.

KaseyL
May 1st, 2003, 09:10 PM
Part of an article written by Reuters, April 27, 2003

Kim Clijsters re-emphasized her status as a national hero after she won all three of her matches to help Belgium whitewash Austria 5-0 in Bree.

Victorious over Evelyn Fauth on day one, Clijsters showed the power and precision that has lifted her to number two in the world rankings to hammer Patricia Wartusch 6-2 6-2 in just 51 minutes.

Els Callens, standing in for Justine Henin-Hardenne who decided to sit out the match because of a niggling back injury, beat Fauth 7-6 6-2 in the final singles.

Clijsters and Callens then joined forces to beat Sybille Bammer and Yvonne Meusberger 6-2 6-2 to complete the rout.

"Today I played really well and I think it showed that I really needed the break [from the tour] that I had," said Clijsters, who was playing her first event since taking a month off from the sport to recover from exhaustion.

"It's such a long season and I'm really happy with the way I played this week."

KaseyL
May 1st, 2003, 09:16 PM
More... :)

part from articles in the Washington Evening Journal (Iowa),

April 26, 2003

...Belgium jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead over Austria in Bree, Belgium as it sent out its two big guns, Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne,' on the opening day.

The world No. 2 Clijsters struggled to defeat Evelyn Fauth in three-sets, 4-6, 6-2, 6-2 in a match that lasted 1:41.

After a sluggish start, Clijsters got rolling in the second and third sets by breaking her opponent five times, while only failing to hold serve once.

The world No. 4 Henin-Hardenne had a much easier affair as she pummeled Patricia Wartusch 6-2, 6-1 in only 1:04. Henin-Hardenne broke her overmatched counterpart five times and saved all five break chances against her.

Sunday's action features Clijsters against Wartusch, while Henin-Hardenne is set to battle Fauth in reverse singles. In what will most likely be an irrelevant doubles match, Els Callens and Carolina Maes will play Yvonne Meusberger and Wartusch.

---
April 27, 2003

... Belgium, which could pose to be the United States' biggest threat, was an easy 5-0 winner over Austria in Bree, Belgium.

World No. 2 Kim Clijsters needed just 51 minutes to pummel Patricia Wartusch 6-2, 6-2. Clijsters was never in trouble as she broke her counterpart three times in the first set and twice more in the second.

Els Callens, who replaced the fourth-ranked player in the world, Justine Henin-Hardenne, once the Belgians clinched victory, was also an easy winner as she won 7-6 (7-0), 6-2 over Evelyn Fauth. Callens struggled in the opening set, but cruised in the tiebreak and then settled down for a routine second set as she broke Fauth three times in the second. I

n the doubles tie, Callens and Clijsters defeated Sybille Bammer and Yvonne Meusberger 6-2, 6-2. The Belgians will meet Slovak Republic, the defending Fed Cup champions, in the quarters.

KaseyL
May 1st, 2003, 09:18 PM
Part of an article by press agency AP, April 27, 2003

... Leading 2-0 after the opening day’s singles, Belgium’s victory was never in doubt as Clijsters, playing in front of a partisan crowd of 4,500 in her home-town of Bree, trounced 76th-ranked Patricia Wartusch 6-2, 6-2 to give Belgium the decisive point in the best-of-five tie.

Using the precision and determination that lifted her to No. 2 in the WTA rankings, Clijsters disposed of Wartusch in just 51 minutes, looking back at her best after a lackluster performance against Evelyn Fauth on Saturday.

“I’m much happier now,’’ Clijsters said. “I played better and to get the vital third point is very special.’’

Clijsters than teamed up with Callens to beat Sybille Bammer and Yvonne Meusburger 6-2, 6-2 in the doubles.

Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne led Belgium to the Fed Cup title two years ago.

Majo
May 1st, 2003, 09:24 PM
thx for the articles ingrid!!! :kiss:

KaseyL
May 1st, 2003, 09:29 PM
Highlight from The Star, Malaysia, April 27, 2003 about the first day:

... In Bree, Belgium, Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin-Hardenne proved their class to give Belgium a commanding 2-0 lead over Austria.

World number two Clijsters shrugged off the rustiness of being out of action for a month to beat Evelyn Fauth 4-6,6-2,6-2 before the in-form Henin-Hardenne turned in an impressive display to crush Patricia Wartusch 6-2,6-1 to extend Belgium's lead in the best-of-five matches encounter.

Off the circuit since the end of March,Clijsters looked a little ragged in the early stages but recovered well to beat Fauth in one hour 41 minutes.

nicky
May 2nd, 2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks Ingrid! :worship: You've been busy!

tournesol
May 2nd, 2003, 10:11 AM
thanks ingrid for all those articles :kiss:

Bigkimfan
May 2nd, 2003, 12:40 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: All those articles!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Thanks Ingrid!!! :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

kit
May 2nd, 2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks Ingrid :kiss:

KaseyL
May 7th, 2003, 08:18 AM
You're welcome!

*cough* I still have a few more :D :o (grgr backlog)

As we don't only allow positive articles re Kim, but all that is in the press, I still had to post the following from the Fed Cup week :

Source: het Belang van Limburg (and identical in Gazet van Antwerpen), April 25, 2003

“Father Clijsters to press: ‘We don’t need you’ ” :rolleyes:

uncensored! translated by Ingrid

It’s going better with Kim’s health again. The pain in the throat is over and her presence for this weekend’s Fed Cup tie against Austria won’t be in jeopardy. She practised intensively for one hour and a half with Els Callens on Thursday.

“Easier tired than usual and breathing isn’t yet like it should. But that will be the consequence of medication”, according to captain Ivo Van Aken.

The danger that Kim’s cold would be passed on to the other girls is almost nil, according to the captain.
“No, because the lab tests were negative. I trust that the trouble is over.”

Anyway, the mood of Kim on Thursday was by all means a bit more sunny than that of father Lei. Our attempt to receive some info on the state of health of his daughter was bluntly countered. “You do know though that we don’t talk to the press anymore. We don’t need you. The press doesn’t interest us no more. For all I care, it can run to the devil.” [own note: my own free translation, as the original Flemish expression doesn’t have a literal equivalent expression in English. The original word he used means ‘balls, bullocks’ btw]

In a long monologue Lei referred to an incident some months ago when Flemish prime minister Dewael had been slipping out one day that it wouldn’t be unreasonable that top tennis players would pay a bit less taxes and had been mentioning Kim’s name at that occassion. [see posts in this regard: http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?threadid=57540 ] To Lei Clijsters –who nevertheless had ample opportunity to vent his opinion on the matter – enough reason to announce a press-boycott.

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s12/smilies-5405.png

---

own reaction:
quite a clear one I think, see above... we have been discussing this in full in the other thread...
With all due respect to Lei, but this is something that makes me...http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/boese/zeter01.gif Enough said.

KaseyL
May 7th, 2003, 09:28 AM
On another note:

I am looking for the article that appeared in Het Laatste Nieuws of April 28, 2003.

It's a report about the fed cup tie and according to my info it also talks about how Kim doesn't go hardly anywhere without bodyguard these days...

I'd like to find the entire article (maybe someone is even so great to translate it? *throwing my nicest smile* )

Please, anyone?

*begging mod*

nicky
May 7th, 2003, 02:57 PM
Just heard on the news: Kim has committed for the quarters of the Fed Cup :) . She doesn't want to abandon the team, although she is playing and defending a lot of points in Stanford the week after.

She will play both singles, and doubles with Els :bounce: .

(Could she also consider playing with Els in Athens? I'd think they make a great team, and I'd really like Els to go to the olympics... :angel: )

~|Naomi|~
May 7th, 2003, 04:08 PM
She has said this in her diary on her website too :) Venus played Fed Cup and then made the finals of Warsaw, so I'm sure Kim can do well in Stanford too :)

Elke
May 7th, 2003, 05:45 PM
I still have that from HLN, I'll put it on later.

duck
May 7th, 2003, 09:18 PM
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s12/smilies-5405.png

---

own reaction:
quite a clear one I think, see above... we have been discussing this in full in the other thread...
With all due respect to Lei, but this is something that makes me...http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/boese/zeter01.gif Enough said.

Ditto. That last emoticon. Just brilliant. I'm gonna borrow that one and direct it at Glynn :kiss:

KaseyL
May 8th, 2003, 02:28 PM
I still have that from HLN, I'll put it on later.

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

KaseyL
May 8th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Source: Associated Press, May 8, 2003

Clijsters commits to quarterfinal of Fed Cup

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP)— World No. 3 Kim Clijsters announced Thursday she will play in the Fed Cup quarterfinals against reigning champion Slovakia, ending speculation she would quit the Belgian team to focus on defending her place in the world rankings.
"It was not an easy decision but I decided I wanted to be part of this," she said of the July 19-20 match against Slovakia.

Clijsters won all three of her matches, including the doubles, to lead Belgium past Austria 5-0 last month, ensuring a quarterfinal place in the team competition.

Together with world No. 4 Justine Henin-Hardenne, the Belgian stand the best chance of challenging the United States and the Williams sisters in the competition.

Immediately after the match against Slovakia, which will be played in the Belgian city of Charleroi, Clijsters will fly to California, where she plays in the Bank of the West Classic in Stanford. As a losing finalist to Venus Williams last year, she has a lot of WTA ranking points to defend.

She long had hesitations whether the draining Fed Cup schedule and the long trans-Atlantic flight immediately afterward could be combined with a top-rank tournament the following week.

"The Fed Cup seems to be more important to me," she told De Morgen newspaper. "Each time I play in Belgium, there is this great atmosphere."

Clijsters and Henin-Hardenne led Belgium to the Fed Cup title two years ago. Last year, both were no-shows in the quarterfinals and Belgium lost to Italy.

KaseyL
May 8th, 2003, 02:31 PM
De Standaard has also an article about it, with quotes from Kim. can't translate it now, maybe someone can?