PDA

View Full Version : Peak Ivanovic vs. Peak Sharapova

VeeJJ
Nov 13th, 2012, 06:37 PM
So :oh: These two met when Sharapova was playing lights out tennis at AO 2008. The best tennis she had played since fall 2006. It was her Peak. Ivanoic playing grea tennis herself that Austrailian season was the only player to make a competitive match against Sharapova losing 5-7, 3-6 in the final before she went on to play even better tennis that half of the year.

Who wins this Peak vs. Peak match:Ivanoic at her Peak had a serve to match Sharapova's and a much much better forehand. Sharapova has the superior backhand by far but Ivanovic has much better movement. I think Ivanovic' frst strike tennis when her forehand was on was deadlier, she waits maybe 2 shots before going for a winner and runs around her backhand superbly. Sharapova can hit through the court better on both sides though. Discuss. http://www.hdwallpapersarena.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/ana-ivanovic-iphone4-wallpaper.jpg

VERSUS

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vBakbxMecKY/TZtGkS7HLdI/AAAAAAAAB88/t3NTp5P86wk/s1600/maria_sharapova.jpg

WHO. WILL. WIN.

Craig.
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Just lol.

Dominic
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Sharapova pretty easily, and no Ivanovic does not have a much better forehand than Maria when both are at their peak. Pretty comparable actually. Her movement can hardly be called much better also..

Balltossovic
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Oh, God:sobbing:

Craig.
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM
And LMAO at Ivanovic having "much better movement."

Balltossovic
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Ana does nothing better than Maria. Peak Maria will slay PeakAna every single time.

/thread.

iWill
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Let me be the first to say that I voted with my head and some other things but I will have to say Ivanovic. Sharapova has the better career (obviously) and is clearly competing at the top of women's tennis consistently but I have to say that if Ivanovic could pull it together she could really spoil things among the top 5.

She reminds me of Capriati because her forehand is lethal when she is "on" and the reason I give her the edge over Sharapova is because Ivanovic has much better movement. I know Maria has gotten the best of Ana more times but I still think that the best Ivanovic can deliver would be better than Sharapova. So for the sake of the argument....and because its the off-season I say Ivanovic wins 6-4 1-6 7-5

doomsday
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:29 PM
Let me be the first to say that I voted with my head and some other things but I will have to say Ivanovic. Sharapova has the better career (obviously) and is clearly competing at the top of women's tennis consistently but I have to say that if Ivanovic could pull it together she could really spoil things among the top 5.

She reminds me of Capriati because her forehand is lethal when she is "on" and the reason I give her the edge over Sharapova is because Ivanovic has much better movement. I know Maria has gotten the best of Ana more times but I still think that the best Ivanovic can deliver would be better than Sharapova. So for the sake of the argument....and because its the off-season I say Ivanovic wins 6-4 1-6 7-5

She wouldn't even if she was playing PeakShoulderPova.:lol:

azdaja
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:33 PM
troll thread. peak wtf.

iWill
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:38 PM
She wouldn't even if she was playing PeakShoulderPova.:lol:

I don't think that is true Ivanovic really took it to Maria in the SF of Roland Garros in 2007 and had she not met Justine in the final she may not only have 1 Grand Slam title. That being said I don't deny Sharapova has proven her self thus far to be superior I just think Ivanovic hasn't fully reached her peak. Remember I said for the sake of the argument lol

NashaMasha
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Ivanovic may have chances only on clay, but against improved ClayPova not that much chances

I don't think that is true Ivanovic really took it to Maria in the SF of Roland Garros in 2007 and had she not met Justine in the final she may not only have 1 Grand Slam title. That being said I don't deny Sharapova has proven her self thus far to be superior I just think Ivanovic hasn't fully reached her peak. Remember I said for the sake of the argument lol

there are a number of tennis players who " had she not met Justine in the final she may " win more RG titles

Joelina
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:17 PM
threads with peak slam winners are boring, there should be threads with peak nonslam winners like peak Jankovic, Kerber, Hantuchova, Petrova, Dokic, ...

NashaP
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM
http://lovetennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Ana_Ivanovic_Maria_Sharapova_Ozfinal14_627746.jpg

danieln1
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Ivanovic will lose because of her haters and Maria fan base is waaaaaayy bigger. :haha: :haha:

Anyway, peak Ivanovic destroyed peak Sharapova in RG 2007, I'll leave to that :happy:

This off-season is so funny :oh:

NashaP
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Ivanovic will lose because of her haters and Maria fan base is waaaaaayy bigger. :haha: :haha:

Anyway, peak Ivanovic destroyed peak Sharapova in RG 2007, I'll leave to that :happy:

ohRealllllliii???

This is brand new information! I didnt know she peaked in 2007! ZOMGGG

Curtos07
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Is this like the 5th time we have had this thread?

faboozadoo15
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Ana has haters still?

Orbis
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:55 PM
^She will always have haters. People on this board love to hate her :lol:

Oh yes, have to be realistic here. Probably Sharapova on everything but clay. But I don't know, at their respective peaks the biggest weapon on court would be Ana's forehand. Sure it's inconsistent at times and can crumble under pressure, but at Ana's peak it's relentless, and she could use it to boss around almost anyone. Their serves would both be very good, hard to call. And therefore both players' return games would be neutralized. Peak Pova would have the edge on backhand and mentality (pretty significant), Ana would have the edge on forehand, movement, finesse. I think overall they'd have some close, competitive matches. Some might say that Pova would blow Ana away but I don't think it would be the case. People forget that rising Ana (pre-breakthrough and pre-brainfart) pushed Sharapova very hard at the end of 2006, a time that many would say Sharapova was at her peak. It was a brutal hard-hitting match in Linz and both of them refused to buckle or get pushed around. Either way I think at their peaks they would both serve really well so it would be close more often than not :shrug: Definite edge to Sharapova though anywhere but clay.

Natural Joe
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:02 PM
We need a subforum for peak vs peak discussions during the off-season. :o

NashaMasha
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:05 PM

it was on clay and Masha was "Cow on Ice" , but peak Masha on Clay emerged only in 2011-2012

all the rest matches Ivanovic lost to Masha even in her peak years and lost her career-defining match in Melbourne in straights

Charlatan
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:13 PM

Was this also Peak Ajde?

zEgQTdjQOLI

Anyway, these threads are done to death :zzz:

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=397569
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=461696

Deestruction
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Ivanovic could've beaten Sharapova alot more if it wasnt for her chokes and her brain. Her game was spectacular except that horrendous bh, but the rest of her game was flowing very well at her peak. Ivanovic i think has an edge over Masha on clay. Masha however has an edge on indoor courts, grass and fast hardcourts.

Brad[le]y.
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:21 PM
After all this time, people still think it's her head that's wrong with her? :lol:

Martha Pova in 2.

NashaMasha
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Ivanovic could've beaten Sharapova alot more if it wasnt for her chokes and her brain. Her game was spectacular except that horrendous bh, but the rest of her game was flowing very well at her peak. Ivanovic i think has an edge over Masha on clay. Masha however has an edge on indoor courts, grass and fast hardcourts.

mental strength is also part of the game.... Ivanovic on clay in Rome again has shown that playing on her best surface she is still too mentally weak to beat Sharapova

Sharapowerr
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Maria haters voted for Ana, useless thread..
What's next peak Maria or peak Dulko?

azdaja
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Ana has haters still?
yes, you are one :shrug:

Cajka
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:30 PM
Oh, again.

I really don't understand why people post those highlights from 2007 (3 one-sided matches, right?), when they were not both playing well in those matches. Actually, they usually don't play good matches, their match from 2006 is probably the best one they played, they were not at their peaks, but it's closest to what their games looked like when they play well:

LiuAnaOAldA

As for those who think that their Peak vs. Peak match would be somewhat one-sided... I don't know... They are deluded, retarded or both, because Maria and Ana actually used to have a serve.

Craig.
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Oh, again.

I really don't understand why people post those highlights from 2007 (3 one-sided matches, right?), when they were not both playing well in those matches. Actually, they usually don't play good matches, their match from 2006 is probably the best one they played, they were not at their peaks, but it's closest to what their games looked like when they play well:

LiuAnaOAldA

As for those who think that their Peak vs. Peak match would be somewhat one-sided... I don't know... They are deluded, retarded or both, because Maria and Ana actually used to have a serve.

Good post.

Sharapowerr
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Oh, again.

LiuAnaOAldA

The courts were so much faster here, they make it slower and slower..
Nice match

danieln1
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Maria haters voted for Ana, useless thread..
What's next peak Maria or peak Dulko?

Wimbledon 09 2nd Round? :oh:

RenaSlam.
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Peak Maria would SLAY.

Sharapowerr
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Wimbledon 09 2nd Round? :oh:

That's why i posted it, because Maria lost one time! Maria played like crap that match! Do you really think Dulko is a better player? Probably.. You're such a hater.. In all the threads about Maria you have something negative to say and about Davenport vs Maria it's 5-1 H2H (your avatar) Keep celebrating that 6-0 6-0 win.

danieln1
Nov 13th, 2012, 10:27 PM
That's why i posted it, because Maria lost one time! Maria played like crap that match! Do you really think Dulko is a better player? Probably.. You're such a hater.. In all the threads about Maria you have something negative to say and about Davenport vs Maria it's 5-1 H2H (your avatar) Keep celebrating that 6-0 6-0 win.

Obviously Sharapova is a better player than Dulko, but peak Ivanovic vs peak Sharapova it would not be a blowout as some people are saying, it would be competitive... but people here tend to diminish Ivanovic talent as a tennis player or missed her playing during her peak year :shrug:

dsanders06
Nov 13th, 2012, 10:28 PM
^She will always have haters. People on this board love to hate her :lol:

Oh yes, have to be realistic here. Probably Sharapova on everything but clay. But I don't know, at their respective peaks the biggest weapon on court would be Ana's forehand. Sure it's inconsistent at times and can crumble under pressure, but at Ana's peak it's relentless, and she could use it to boss around almost anyone. Their serves would both be very good, hard to call. And therefore both players' return games would be neutralized. Peak Pova would have the edge on backhand and mentality (pretty significant), Ana would have the edge on forehand, movement, finesse. I think overall they'd have some close, competitive matches. Some might say that Pova would blow Ana away but I don't think it would be the case. People forget that rising Ana (pre-breakthrough and pre-brainfart) pushed Sharapova very hard at the end of 2006, a time that many would say Sharapova was at her peak. It was a brutal hard-hitting match in Linz and both of them refused to buckle or get pushed around. Either way I think at their peaks they would both serve really well so it would be close more often than not :shrug: Definite edge to Sharapova though anywhere but clay.

Debateable. Peak Ana's forehand had more raw pace than any of Maria's shots, but Peak Maria's backhand is still more deadly AND more reliable than Peak Ana's FH imo.

Anywho, probably Peak Maria on all surfaces.

Noten
Nov 13th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Sharapova def. Ivanovic 6-0, 4-0 ret. (due to allergies).

Dominic
Nov 13th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Debateable. Peak Ana's forehand had more raw pace than any of Maria's shots

Not sure I agree with that, peak Maria's forehand has nothing to envy from anyone's, including power. She can hit it in the high 80's, low 90's (mph)

Cajka
Nov 13th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Oh, Ana's fh... :lol:

Even today it's the most consistent shot in her game and it used to be more consistent. Of course, her latest matches against Safarova, Vinci, Oprandi suggest otherwise, but in general, her game falls apart when her serve is off (bh too, obviously, but it basically doesn't exist anymore), fh is rarely the main suspect.

During her prime, her fh was huge and heavy, but she was never painting the lines with it, it wasn't a hit or miss shot. That's why she hardly ever struggled against counterpunchers, she didn't go for too much. Now she has a problem because her fh is weaker and she can't finish the point easily like she used to, it's much easier to redirect the ball to her bh than in the past.

allhingis
Nov 13th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Ivanovic forehand would destroy slowpoke sharapova, Ivanovic in 2 6-1 6-3

NashaMasha
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Ivanovic forehand would destroy slowpoke sharapova, Ivanovic in 2 6-1 6-3

more like Sharapova's backhand will finish that match in straights 7-5 6-2 or something like that ....
Ivanovic's forehand will just let her stay on par till 5-5 in first set and then choke time begins

Matt01
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Ivanovic :)

Stonerpova
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:14 AM
So much wrong with the original post.

You're not real.

NashaMasha
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Ivanovic :)

Matt, you're predictable

Next time you'll appear in Peak Wozniacki vs Peak Sharapova thread with approximately the same post

Harry.
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:21 AM
I can't with this thread. Hasn't this already been done before? Ugh. :facepalm:

NashaMasha
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I can't with this thread. Hasn't this already been done before? Ugh. :facepalm:

haven't you seen Groundhog Day?

All these threads are opened by Ivanovic , the only one who still considers herself taller (:lol:) and better than Sharapova

AcesHigh
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:36 AM
On clay Ana would drub Sharapova. Grass, Sharapova would destroy Ana. On other surfaces, I think it could be somewhat competitive but Sharapova is just the better player.

Cajka
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:37 AM
haven't you seen Groundhog Day?

All these threads are opened by Ivanovic , the only one who still considers herself taller (:lol:) and better than Sharapova

IKR, Ivanovic made a fake account, pretended to be JJ's fan for years, so that she could make this thread during the 2012 off season just to somehow convince TF posters that she's taller, skinnier, prettier and better than Sharapova. Now it suddenly all makes sense.

Fortunately, Sharapova discovered the fraud that Ana was carefully planning for years, so she made NashaMasha account this year in order to expose the cheater and prevent the biggest TF blasphemy ever.

Off season at its peak! :worship:

effedcamel
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:47 AM
IKR, Ivanovic made a fake account, pretended to be JJ's fan for years, so that she could make this thread during the 2012 off season just to somehow convince TF posters that she's taller, skinnier, prettier and better than Sharapova. Now it suddenly all makes sense.

Fortunately, Sharapova discovered the fraud that Ana was carefully planning for years, so she made NashaMasha account this year in order to expose the cheater and prevent the biggest TF blasphemy ever.

:lol: best post of this idiotic thread

NashaMasha
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:53 AM

:clap2::yeah:

it looks like I'm on a trip to Indonesia and India , i should be less in internet then :)

danieln1
Nov 14th, 2012, 01:20 AM
So much wrong with the original post.

You're not real.

It's the off season... can't we joke a little bit??

Or do you want me to say Sharapova is a million times better than Ivanovic? :rolleyes:

Steven.
Nov 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Ivanovic's fh is grossly overrated on this board cos nobody knows a thing about tennis lol I mean she's good if she has time to smack it, but rob her of time and her fh becomes a hot mess because of the large backswing she has on it.

SoClose
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Although Peak Ana has the best forehand I've ever seen , Maria has much more weapons to rely on , plus Peak Maria has better movement.Maria - 64 63.

Kasey
Nov 14th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Peak Anci would easily trash that Shrieking Razor even playing her best.
Two things that separates these two: Serve and Forehand.
Peak Ana hits winners from her forehand side left and right and a serve as a weapon plays a major part.
Didn't she hit like 125 mp/h serve in 2008?
Whereas Peak Martha has her ups and down. I've never seen her playing a whole match at her best without a short slump moment, I mean you never know if she's gonna hit an ace or a df. She's too inconsistent.

StoneRose
Nov 14th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Just lol.Second post in the thread, no more needs to be said :lol:.

NashaMasha
Nov 14th, 2012, 02:41 PM

Anci never beat Sharapova outside clay . She never won a set on hard court (I don't take into account vs severely injured Masha)

SymphonyX
Nov 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Hmm...

Sharapova
80.5% win rate (472-115)
27 titles
4 slams

Ivanovic
70% win rate (336-150)
11 titles
1 slam

Peak Pova's presence alone will defeat Ana in whatever form she appears. The only chance Ana had to win against her was clay, and now that we have Claypova, she's got zero chances of winning anywhere.

Peak
Return
Pova >>>>>>> Ana
Serve
Pova > Ana
Forehand
Ana > Maria
Backhand
Maria >>>>>>> Ana
Mental strength (or the willingness to refuse to simply f****ing lose and die)
Maria >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ana
Movement
Maria = Ana

Ana's FH is waaayyyy more overrated than Sharapova as a whole back in 2004-2006. The only thing Ana does miraculously with her FH is the ability to hit it very early and do a powerful inside-out like Graf. Pova can easily match or outpace with her own FH, and the angles she creates with her FH is better than Ana's. Only problem with Pova's FH was that it was unreliable as f**k and prone to breaking down. Unfortunately we're talking about "peak" here and reliability shouldn't be an issue.

Comparing Ana Ivanovic to Maria Sharapova is like comparing Maria Sharapova to Serena Williams. It's a hopeless battle.

dsanders06
Nov 14th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Not sure I agree with that, peak Maria's forehand has nothing to envy from anyone's, including power. She can hit it in the high 80's, low 90's (mph)

This is actually a misconception. Maria at her very best actually rarely hits MASSIVE (90mph+) shots in terms of pace.

What makes Peak Maria so brilliant is that she gets such fantastic length on her shots and can land every ball within centimetres of the baseline - the type of control that Peak Ivanovic could only dream of getting with her forehand (even if she'd occasionally hit a pacier shot than Peak Maria could, her average rally ball would be far more innocuous and land much shorter than Peak Maria's rally ball). And that's before you even consider that Peak Ivanovic would be hitting more shots out than Peak Maria would.

Dominic
Nov 14th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Peak Ana hits winners from her forehand side left and right and a serve as a weapon plays a major part.

I realize you're a stupid troll who doesn't really believe what he's saying but peak Maria also hits winners from her forehand left and right AND from her backhand, you do the math ;)

And peak Ana'a serve is not not better than Maria's by any stretch of the imagination, in fact her second serve is weaker.

Dominic
Nov 14th, 2012, 04:31 PM
This is actually a misconception. Maria at her very best actually rarely hits MASSIVE (90mph+) shots in terms of pace.

So does every other player, including Ana. The real misconception is that Ana's forehand is on average more powerful than Maria's, it's very comparable.

And yes Maria hits deeper and with better angle.

madmax
Nov 14th, 2012, 04:48 PM
So does every other player, including Ana. The real misconception is that Ana's forehand is on average more powerful than Maria's, it's very comparable.

And yes Maria hits deeper and with better angle.

:worship:
It's like peple are forgetting that Maria's biggest shot is her lethal CC forehand, which she can pummel as hard as anyone in the game...the only reason why folks talk about her BH more is because it is more reliable shot and her FH does have a tendency of breaking down (especially when being rushed on fast surfaces).

Monzanator
Nov 15th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Whereas Peak Martha has her ups and down. I've never seen her playing a whole match at her best without a short slump moment, I mean you never know if she's gonna hit an ace or a df. She's too inconsistent.

You've never seen Peak Sharapova play then :lol: But it figures, Azarenka bandwagoners pressed to underline how bad Sharapova is in every single thread. I suspect even Peak Whitehead whould trash Peak Sharapova according to you :lol:

Stonerpova
Nov 15th, 2012, 04:24 AM

What makes Peak Maria so brilliant is that she gets such fantastic length on her shots and can land every ball within centimetres of the baseline - the type of control that Peak Ivanovic could only dream of getting with her forehand (even if she'd occasionally hit a pacier shot than Peak Maria could, her average rally ball would be far more innocuous and land much shorter than Peak Maria's rally ball). And that's before you even consider that Peak Ivanovic would be hitting more shots out than Peak Maria would.

Yup. Plus Maria's best shot is her backhand crosscourt, which would drive Ivanovic nuts. Ivanovic is actually a pretty good junkballer, but Maria would just smother her from the baseline.

I actually still think this match would be close, but still NID.

Cajka
Nov 15th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Yup. Plus Maria's best shot is her backhand crosscourt, which would drive Ivanovic nuts. Ivanovic is actually a pretty good junkballer, but Maria would just smother her from the baseline.

I actually still think this match would be close, but still NID.

If we're talking about their peaks, we wouldn't see junkballing or long rallies at all IMO (except for clay), they would both try to dictate the points after a big serve or after taking the ball early on return (mostly after second serves), whoever serves better - wins. And it should be Maria, her first serve was slightly better and second serve was significantly faster (if she doesn't make tons of dfs). Defense or junkballing wouldn't ba a huge factor at all (it would be a factor against the best counterpunchers in the world, but those two can't hurt each other with junkballing and defending if they're at their peaks)

gc-spurs
Nov 15th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Did I read a post in this thread saying Ivanovic hasn't peaked yet??? :lol:

Cajka
Nov 15th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Did I read a post in this thread saying Ivanovic hasn't peaked yet??? :lol:

It's incorrect to say that she hasn't peaked yet, but she never actually peaked because when she was on her best there was some room for improving, but instead of that she got worse. The same could be said for Maria because she got injured when she was at her best. And the same could be said for 99% of players because there are very few players who maximized their potential.

dany.p
Nov 15th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Peak Pierce beats everyone. Anything else is irrelevant.

forehand27
Nov 16th, 2012, 06:49 PM
The only surface this is an interesting topic is clay, so the title should be changed to on clay, as that is the only surface worth debating. On any other surface it is Maria in straight sets every single time, with the best Ana managing being the odd 7-5 or 7-6 set, and is pure trolling to even bring up as a serious attempt of a topic.

NashaP
Nov 16th, 2012, 06:52 PM
The only surface this is an interesting topic is clay, so the title should be changed to on clay, as that is the only surface worth debating. On any other surface it is Maria in straight sets every single time, with the best Ana managing being the odd 7-5 or 7-6 set, and is pure trolling to even bring up as a serious attempt of a topic.

2012 claypova would definitely beat 2008 clayanovic

forehand27
Nov 16th, 2012, 08:03 PM
2012 claypova would definitely beat 2008 clayanovic

I actually agree with this, my point is clay in the only surface you could even argue between the two short of being insane. Outside of being one of the better clay courters of a super weak clay era, Ana was NEVER an elite contender even at her peak . Talk about Ana possibly winning Wimbledon or the U.S Open at her 06-08 peak and everyone laughs outloud.

Material World
Nov 16th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Masha. Not even competitive.

Tag
Nov 16th, 2012, 10:08 PM
the only things ivanovic has peaked at are tears and trauma

she certainly hasn't peaked at tennis