PDA

View Full Version : How many players will join the top 10 club in 2013?

Tezuka.
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:28 PM
This year, only Kerber and Errani joined the top 10 club.
The top 20 players (atm) who never reached the top 10:

Dominika Cibulková
Maria Kirilenko
Roberta Vinci
Lucie Safarova
Julia Goerges
Kaia Kanepi
Ekaterina Makarova

Maybe one of them will break the top 10 next year or maybe even someone outside the top 20. :shrug: Let's not forget that both Errani and Kerber were outside the top 30 at the end of 2011.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:32 PM
If one goes through the last few years of the tour, two seems to be the standard amount. So I will play it safe and say two for next year as well. More than likely I am either spot on or at worst I am only off by one.

Nicolás89
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Kanepi. :)

Tezuka.
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:42 PM
If one goes through the last few years of the tour, two seems to be the standard amount. So I will play it safe and say two for next year as well. More than likely I am either spot on or at worst I am only off by one.

Can you guess who? That's a tougher question. :p I think Kanapi has a good chance if she stays healthy.

nastya
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:47 PM
And I hope for Julia. Why not? ;)

Trey
Nov 13th, 2012, 07:49 PM
It time for Dominika Cibulková too finally get into the top 10 & I would love too see Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova enter the top 10

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Can you guess who? That's a tougher question. :p I think Kanapi has a good chance if she stays healthy.

That's a much much tougher question. :haha:

Mostly the last few years generally what has happened is that we have had two new top 10ers who have come very much out of the blue and are often from outside the top 20 or even the top 30 the previous year. Frequently they are players who hadn't even previously reached the top 20. Additionally they tend to be players who have been around a while, frequently in their mid twenties.

Players who fit that profile include, Lepchenko, Hsieh, Cirstea, Paszek, Shvedova & Suarez Navarro. Or possibly it could be a younger player like Ula Radwanska, Barthel, Halep, Watson or Robson. That's a few names there but there are numerous others one could also mention. That is hardly an inclusive list.

Personally I'm not convinced any of the players ranked in the top 20 who have yet to make the top 10 are going to do so next year. Kanepi is starting the year injured so that almost entirely eliminates her chances for next year. I wouldn't entirely rule out Kanepi or Makarova's chances for getting into the top 10 in the future but I don't see them doing it next year. Kirilenko, Cibulkova, Vinci, Safarova and Goerges all had very good years but I'm not sure just how much more they can improve. I think they all did very well to finish this year as well as they did. So yeah, I do think the next new top 10 players are going to be coming from outside this year's top 20.

I've just named a few possibilities but there are quite a few more. But what they all have it common is that right now they all seem very unlikely. But so did, Schiavone, Stosur, Kvitova, Petkovic, Kerber and Kerber prior to their top 10 breakthroughs.

It's very difficult to predict one or two players. There are many possibilities. And the thing is, most of them won't come anywhere close. But following the WTA for many years the one thing I've learnt is to expect the unexpected. And I do. I just don't know how the unexpected will manifest itself next year.

Probably by next February it will be clear that a couple of players have raised their games very considerably in the off season. It became clear pretty early on last year that Kerber and Errani meant business.

GOATdin0931
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:15 PM
Kirilenko :shrug:

Kanepi if she remains healthy! :yeah:

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Kanepi is skipping the Australian Open. She will probably be ready to play again in February but it would be reasonable to expect her to take some time to regain form. To be top 10 you really do need to be playing well for the entire year, especially if you have never reached that level before. I'm not saying Kanepi isn't capable of one day being a top ten player, but almost certainly, it ain't going to be next year.

Wert.
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:38 PM
I'm guessing few players ranked 20-40 will probably make it before those ranked between 11-20. :lol:

Wert.
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:48 PM
It's impossible to predict. An player ranked somewhere in top 100 who was earlier called a scrub will simply come out of nowhere and start be consistent top 10 player able to reach further stages of slams and premiers. I mean who could expect Kerber to be top 5 and yec qualifier before last year uso when she was whoring those internationals like none. :shrug:

We will just have to wait and see

Dexter
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:54 PM
The most obvious candidates from previous years (Pavlyuchenkova, Peer, Lisicki etc) all failed. So I dont think Kirilenko will next year.
I'm saying there's going to be two new additions to the top10 next year. One of them being Robson.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:56 PM
It's impossible to predict. An player ranked somewhere in top 100 who was earlier called a scrub will simply come out of nowhere and start be consistent top 10 player able to reach further stages of slams and premiers. I mean who could expect Kerber to be top 5 and yec qualifier before last year uso when she was whoring those internationals like none. :shrug:

We will just have to wait and see

Yup. Thing is there are a lot of players who actually have the ability to become top 10 players but for most it requires a perfect combination of outstanding coaching, perfect fitness and health, and incredible motivation. And it is very hard to predict which players will be graced with all these things. Having the ability and the potential to be a top 10 player and actually doing it are two very different things. There are many players languishing outside the top 100 or who are now retired, who could have been top 10ers but for lack of effort or due to poor coaching, or injuries or personal problems sometimes family related, that failed to achieve anything like their potential. Predicting which players will achieve their potential is often like a crapshoot.

Djezonfly
Nov 13th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Aravane Rezai

Miracle Worker
Nov 13th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Vinci.

Aryman3
Nov 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM
To be new among Top 10 means you are better than someone from Top 10 2012. Barring injuries the only candidate to go out seems Errani
So I see just 1 place for newcomer in 2013 (Robson or Ula)

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 13th, 2012, 10:30 PM
To be new among Top 10 means you are better than someone from Top 10 2012. Barring injuries the only candidate to go out seems Errani
So I see just 1 place for newcomer in 2013 (Robson or Ula)

Stosur, Li and Wozniacki are all at least as likely, if not more so, to drop out of the top 10 as is Errani. I am not predicting any specific player is going to drop out of the top 10 but following the rankings year after year you learn that players do drop out quite unexpectedly. Just because someone was great in 2012 doesn't mean they will be great again in 2013. Sure that can apply to Errani but it doesn't apply to Errani anymore than any of the other players in the top 10. Your reference to injuries is also very relevent because injuries are hardly uncommon events and top 10 players are hardly immune from them.

For example, in 2006 Amelie Mauresmo won 2 Grand Slams, she finished the year world number 3. She was 27 years old. 2007, she finished the year ranked number 18. Things change.

Sharapowerr
Nov 13th, 2012, 10:43 PM
Goerges

joeh37
Nov 13th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I'm saying none.
I think the top 10 may shuffle around a bit. But probably only as far as Venus returning and Petrova/Bartoli swapping around with Karo.

If someone is going to do it I suspect Cibulkova or Vinci to be the one. Vinci may take a similar path to Errani and sweep the weak clay internationals and play herself into form for a deep run at RG. This is all speculation.

Kanepi has no chance next year. Tumbling down the ranking through injury means not protected by being seeded. She will have to hope for favourable draws.

Someone is likely to come from outside the top 30 to the edge of the top 10 (like Petrova did this year) but this is not necessarily going to be a new player. It could be Kuznetsova/Schiavone/Zvonareva/Jankovic for example.

A good run early in the season could help Watson/Robson making it or Paszek she is defending only one win at IW until Eastbourne.
She has the best chance, although not the best game. If you put Cibulkova or Kirilenko into her position they would make it.

But I'm concluding by saying none.

tejmeglekvár
Nov 13th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Errani and Kerber wasnt even top30 when year started. Not that I think this trend will continue, although possible.

Anyway, as a famous person once said: "Get back to predicting ______ and _______ to make the top 10 or whatever delusional shit you're peddling lately"

sweetadri06
Nov 14th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Of the ones you listed, none. I just don't think they can improve much and inconsistency plagues them too often. Most likely the next new top 10 players will come from outside the top 20.

moonballnurse
Nov 14th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Serena will have sex with Federer, and their baby girl (Rafael) will reach top 10 next year.

coolfish1103
Nov 14th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I think it's going to come from someone outside of Top 20 (except maybe Bartoli and Petrova) because Top 20 have to count minimum of 2 P5s while the players ranked 21+ can scramble all kinds of tournaments together to get their best rankings.

The candidates for dropping out of Top 10:

Sara Errani
- She is only allowed to play 2 INTLs so -687 points if she doesn't perform well at bigger tournaments.
- Don't think she can defend the F from Roland Garros and SF from U.S. Open.
- She must count 4 P5s and her results from those events are not good.

Samantha Stosur
- Zero titles this year and lose to players outside Top 100.
- Never do well when she is the favorite or in AO season, so that will do some damages.

Caroline Wozniacki
- Piotr's push tactics returning may help her but I believe most people have her figured out.
- Her seeding position is not the same as this year so she is going to get tougher draws.
- It's Sofia that got her ranking back to Top 10... not regular season.

Possible candidates to replace:

Venus Williams (24) - not new
Yaroslava Shvedova (31)
Tamira Paszek (30)

Though I think they will most likely only enter Top 10 for a short period and then drop out.

soimu
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Three but will be for a short period for 2 of them.

Anyway, as a famous person once said: "Get back to predicting ______ and _______ to make the top 10 or whatever delusional shit you're peddling lately"
:lol:

peterlein
Nov 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I voted for two...
1.kirilenko is improving step by step every year, and she already was ranked 12th at one point this season, so next step could be top ten for her :yeah:
2.laura robson could make it too, she is very young and highly talented

kiriosh.
Nov 14th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Tamira Paszek? What? :lol: I love her, but it is as impossible as Errani no.1 in singles. I don't believe she will be able to make some good results on hard.
I would like Robson (with a play from US Open and some random Chinese tournament + good coaching), Barthel (with a play from the beginning of the season + good coaching at last) and finally healthy Kanepi in TOP 10. Probably it won't be none of them.
Please no Cibulkova and Goerges.

eDonkey
Jan 17th, 2013, 11:52 AM
So who has worked the most during the off-season?

Vesnina seems to be doing quite well since the beginning of the year, though Vinci will be her first real obstacle.
Pavlyuchenkova and Cibulkova had each one a great Premier week, defeating two top players each.
Flipkens seems confident and continuing her form from Quebec last year by reaching the semis in Hobart and has a very good chance to get to the second week of the AO.
Keys and Stephens are enjoying some good on-court time, too.

marineblue
Jan 17th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Too early to say but I wouldn't be surprised if Cibulkova,Vinci or Ivanovic made it. In the second part of the season though.

*Jool*
Jan 17th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Probably none this year . Not more than 1 new addition.
If someone enters top 10, she would already have been there (someone like Petrova, Venus, for instance)

StoneRose
Jan 17th, 2013, 12:57 PM
2 seems reasonable. Who is very hard to predict. From 11 to 20 i think Ana has the best chance, she's just the strongest player there. 20-30 Nastya is still my favorite despite the very disappointing AO R1.