PDA

View Full Version : WWW: Peak Kuznetsova vs. Peak Mauresmo

VeeJJ
Nov 12th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Both have very similar careers with Mauresmo only up in Career titles and the 5-4 H2H
Who would win this Peak match? Both are about as all around as you get. Their Miami match in 2006 is probably there best match with Kuznetsov edging slightly. I give the edge to Kuznetsova again.

forehand27
Nov 12th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Mauresmo by far. Would Kuznetsova ever beat a peak Henin in 2 slam finals in the same year. When hell freezes over. As for their games the only edge Kuznetsova has is the forehand. Mauresmo has by far a stronger serve, stronger volleys, much stronger backhand, better movement, better overall defense, more variety, and is a much smarter player.

Craig.
Nov 12th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Peak Kuznetsova is probably the most overrated player on this board :lol:

Stonerpova
Nov 12th, 2012, 01:42 AM
From a career standpoint they're dead even for me. Mauresmo had more titles (and more impressive scalps in the slams), Kuznetsova has more slam finals. I always felt that we never truly saw what either of them was capable of because of their lack of killer instinct. It was inspiring to see both of them hit through their nerves (Mauresmo against Sharapova at Wimbledon sticks out, as does Kuznetsova beating Serena at the French Open), but for me it didn't happen as much as it probably should have.

I say Kuznetsova wins this "PEAK!!!111" match up. She had a more reliable serve, more overall firepower and she's no slouch in the variety department either. Plus Kuznetsova beat Mauresmo comprehensively three times in 2006 (far and away the Frenchwoman's best season).

It also bums me out that I keep talking about Kuznetsova like she's already retired.

Kuzzy24
Nov 12th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Kuznetsova would win.

NashaMasha
Nov 12th, 2012, 02:44 AM
Kuznetsova figured out how to beat Mauresmo and beat her 3 times in straights in 2006 , the year when Mauresmo won 2 Slams ....

So Kuznetsova

forehand27
Nov 12th, 2012, 03:30 AM
She had a more reliable serve

ROTFL!!!

forehand27
Nov 12th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Kuznetsova figured out how to beat Mauresmo and beat her 3 times in straights in 2006 , the year when Mauresmo won 2 Slams ....

So Kuznetsova

Why couldnt Kuznetsova beat a good player in a slam final like Mauresmo was able to. In fact the 2 slam finals she did play an actual good opponent, indicate she was completely incapable of doing so.

NashaMasha
Nov 12th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Why couldnt Kuznetsova beat a good player in a slam final like Mauresmo was able to. In fact the 2 slam finals she did play an actual good opponent, indicate she was completely incapable of doing so.

if she had played versus Mauresmo in the Finals she would have beaten her , but she had to play versus Henin who is better than her in everything, bad match-up for Kuznetsova

Stonerpova
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:02 AM

Because you can pick who you play in slam finals :rolleyes:

Kuznetsova won the slam finals she should have. Playing Henin tough on her best surface (Mauresmo got nowhere near a French Open final by the way) and losing to Henin during her best season ever is nothing to be ashamed of.

forehand27
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Because you can pick who you play in slam finals :rolleyes:

Kuznetsova won the slam finals she should have. Playing Henin tough on her best surface (Mauresmo got nowhere near a French Open final by the way) and losing to Henin during her best season ever is nothing to be ashamed of.

Yet when Mauresmo played Henin in slam finals she beat the crap out of her so badly she quit in one, and then won the other. When it is Kuznetsova instead she gets spanked badly. Funny how that is. :lol: You cant build up how great and tough Henin is to play against in this comparision, when Mauresmo handled it quite well and even easily. There is no year you could imagine Kuznetsova winning 2 slam finals vs prime Henin in the same year if she had the hypothetical chance, heck you couldnt even imagine her winning 2 slam finals in the same year vs someone like Davenport, Sharapova, or Clijsters (even winning 1 vs such an oppoenent in the finals would be an extreme rarity for her). Even her 4 slam final runs were nothing super impressive. What were her big wins? A very injured Davenport who injured herself mid match while previously killing Kuznetsova, Serena on clay, and that is it? Nothing extraordinary to put it mildy. It is also hard to take seriously someone who thinks Kuznetsova had a better serve.

Mauresmo was good enough to win 2 slams in the same year, and had another year despite not winning a slam had potential to have won 2 or 3 (2004). She also reached #1 both those years, back when the #1 ranking only went to fairly legitimate people (this only stopped to end in mid 2008). These things alone prove her peak is way better than Kuznetsova who never had a prayer of winning multiple slams in a single year, or came anywhere near being ranked #1, keeping in mind that like Mauresmo she peaked before the ultimate mug period and neither could ever take full advantage of that.

Stonerpova
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Yet when Mauresmo played Henin in slam finals she beat the crap out of her so badly she quit in one, and then won the other. When it is Kuznetsova instead she gets spanked badly. Funny how that is. :lol: You cant build up how great and tough Henin is to play against in this comparision, when Mauresmo handled it quite well and even easily. It is also hard to take seriously someone who thinks Kuznetsova had a better serve.

1) Mauresmo served buckets of doubles in pressure situations. Sveta's serve is more reliable IMO
2) Someone who saw the 2006 AO final cannot seriously say that Henin played near her best that day. Whether she was actually sick or not is moot, Henin was way off her game. Mauresmo played well no doubt, but it wasn't the same Henin that Kuznetsova lost to in those 2 slam finals.
3) Head to head against Henin isn't the way to measure a player's greatness. I believe that pound for pound Kuznetsova is a better player. We can just agree to disagree.

NashaMasha
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Yet when Mauresmo played Henin in slam finals she beat the crap out of her so badly she quit in one, and then won the other. When it is Kuznetsova instead she gets spanked badly. Funny how that is. :lol: You cant build up how great and tough Henin is to play against in this comparision, when Mauresmo handled it quite well and even easily. There is no year you could imagine Kuznetsova winning 2 slam finals vs prime Henin in the same year if she had the hypothetical chance, heck you couldnt even imagine her winning 2 slam finals in the same year vs someone like Davenport, Sharapova, or Clijsters (even winning 1 vs such an oppoenent in the finals would be an extreme rarity for her). Even her 4 slam final runs were nothing super impressive. What were her big wins? A very injured Davenport who injured herself mid match while previously killing Kuznetsova, Serena on clay, and that is it? Nothing extraordinary to put it mildy. It is also hard to take seriously someone who thinks Kuznetsova had a better serve.

Mauresmo was good enough to win 2 slams in the same year, and had another year despite not winning a slam had potential to have won 2 or 3 (2004). She also reached #1 both those years, back when the #1 ranking only went to fairly legitimate people (this only stopped to end in mid 2008). These things alone prove her peak is way better than Kuznetsova who never had a prayer of winning multiple slams in a single year, or came anywhere near being ranked #1, keeping in mind that like Mauresmo she peaked before the ultimate mug period and neither could ever take full advantage of that.

all these triangles are not working in tennis . Player A beat player B and player B beat player C in tennis as well as in boxing doesn't mean that player A will beat player C.

in 2006 Mauresmo beat 3 times Henin and lost all 3 matches to Kuznetsova..

But of course if this thread was about career ahievements and who was better player i'll peak Mauresmo , but if it turns to match-up , it's Kuzzy's

forehand27
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:25 AM
1) Mauresmo served buckets of doubles in pressure situations. Sveta's serve is more reliable IMO
2) Someone who saw the 2006 AO final cannot seriously say that Henin played near her best that day. Whether she was actually sick or not is moot, Henin was way off her game. Mauresmo played well no doubt, but it wasn't the same Henin that Kuznetsova lost to in those 2 slam finals.
3) Head to head against Henin isn't the way to measure a player's greatness. I believe that pound for pound Kuznetsova is a better player. We can just agree to disagree.

Pound for pound, LOL! I didnt realize Kuznetsova was some small women.

forehand27
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:27 AM
all these triangles are not working in tennis . Player A beat player B and player B beat player C in tennis as well as in boxing doesn't mean that player A will beat player C.

in 2006 Mauresmo beat 3 times Henin and lost all 3 matches to Kuznetsova..

But of course if this thread was about career ahievements and who was better player i'll peak Mauresmo , but if turns to match-up , it's Kuzzy's

I didnt get the impression the thread was talking about matchups though. When a peak Federer vs peak Nadal thread comes up Federer wins in a landslide, but obviously people arent voting on matchups as otherwise the votes would never go that way (unless people are delusional).

Stonerpova
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:34 AM
I didnt get the impression the thread was talking about matchups though. When a peak Federer vs peak Nadal thread comes up Federer wins in a landslide, but obviously people arent voting on matchups as otherwise the votes would never go that way (unless people are delusional).

:spit:

NashaMasha
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:44 AM

the thread title is PEAK Kuznetsova vs Mauresmo , it implies "who will beat who at their peak"

same for Peak Hingis vs Peak Sharapova etc

forehand27
Nov 12th, 2012, 05:02 AM
Well even in that case in a slam final I would take Mauresmo anyday. Kuznetsova didnt play amazing tennis in any of her slam finals, even the 2 she won the talk was only about how crappy her opponents were and how they played, not how great she played. No she would not beat the Mauresmo of the 2006 Australian or Wimbledon finals, the 2004 Wimbledon semis (despite losing, mostly due to her massive mental block with Serena), or the 2005 WTA Championships final with the tennis she ever played in a major final. Her best ever tennis in her career has been in non slam events. Maybe in a tier 1 final Kuznetsova would have a decent chance, but I value who would win in the biggest matches much more.

spencercarlos
Nov 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
From a career standpoint they're dead even for me. Mauresmo had more titles (and more impressive scalps in the slams), Kuznetsova has more slam finals. I always felt that we never truly saw what either of them was capable of because of their lack of killer instinct. It was inspiring to see both of them hit through their nerves (Mauresmo against Sharapova at Wimbledon sticks out, as does Kuznetsova beating Serena at the French Open), but for me it didn't happen as much as it probably should have.

I say Kuznetsova wins this "PEAK!!!111" match up. She had a more reliable serve, more overall firepower and she's no slouch in the variety department either. Plus Kuznetsova beat Mauresmo comprehensively three times in 2006 (far and away the Frenchwoman's best season).

It also bums me out that I keep talking about Kuznetsova like she's already retired.
Mauresmo beat her in 2004 and 2009 arguably Kuznetsova's best years.

Anyway this is not Mauresmo vs Kuznetsova had to head comparisson, but against the whole field and performance, and Mauresmo wins this one, as she was dominating in one season and she was able to get to number one. Kuznetsova did not.

Consistency nod goes to Mauresmo as well. Kuznetsova 2 seasons in top the 5, Mauresmo 4, 5 Season in top ten to Mauresmo's 7 seasons.

StoneRose
Nov 12th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Mauresmo.

Dawson.
Nov 12th, 2012, 02:47 PM
It's all about match ups here. Mauresmo's ball sat up nicely for Kuznetsova to hit. Look at their 2006 meetings. Both players playing consistently at or near their best for the most part of the year and Kuznetsova goes 3-0 without dropping a set. Not a coincidence.

That's not to say that Mauresmo hasn't had the better career, of course she has, but as far as a peak vs peak match goes, the answer is Kuznetsova.

Matt01
Nov 12th, 2012, 03:26 PM

Because Kuznetsova wasn't so lucky to face an ill opponent the first time she won a Slam and an exhausted opponent the second time.

Matt01
Nov 12th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Peak Kuznetsova would win IMO.

Anyway this is not Mauresmo vs Kuznetsova had to head comparisson, but against the whole field and performance, and Mauresmo wins this one, as she was dominating in one season and she was able to get to number one. Kuznetsova did not.

Mauresmo was never dominating in one season.

legalise#
Nov 12th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Peak Mauresmo is an interesting thing because she always got nervous in big situations, no matter how well she was playing. Peak Kuznetsova would probably take advantage of that and win.

Mixal
Nov 12th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Peak Kuznetsova is as good as anyone else, but how many times have we witnessed that? Plus Mauresmo has better achievements, so...

Justin SW
Nov 12th, 2012, 05:45 PM
On clay: Kuzzy
On grass: Mauresmo
On hard: Kuzzy 60%

So Kuzzy

Stonerpova
Nov 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM

Consistency nod goes to Mauresmo as well. Kuznetsova 2 seasons in top the 5, Mauresmo 4, 5 Season in top ten to Mauresmo's 7 seasons.

Um no. It's who would win in a match if the two of them played their best.

alfonsojose
Nov 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Where's Sveta :sad: ?

skanky~skanketta
Nov 22nd, 2012, 02:04 PM
Personally, I believe that at their peaks, Kuzzy is the better plays. Why? Because as good as Mauresmo is, even on her very best day, she was playable. Kuzzy is not.

forehand27
Nov 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
Personally, I believe that at their peaks, Kuzzy is the better plays. Why? Because as good as Mauresmo is, even on her very best day, she was playable. Kuzzy is not.

Dont make me laugh. Name me any matches or tournaments Kuznetsova was unplayable. It sure as hell wasnt either of the 2 slams she won. Davenport would have thumped her in the 2004 U.S Open semis, as she did the first set, had she not reagravated an old injury and been hobbling around the court the last 2 sets (still went up 3-0 in the 3rd). The French Open she won Serena played like crap in her match with Kuznetsova and was still up 3-1, 40-0 in the 3rd set and choked. Even Miami 2006 which was IMO her best tournament ever a past her prime Hingis very nearly beat her in the quarters. Someone like Henin who is 17-3 vs Kuznetsova is certain to beat Kuznetsova in any form, as long as she herself is at atleast 70%. There are others who own Kuznetsova in a similar way that is probably true of.