PDA

View Full Version : Which would you rather have? Career Slam or 5 titles of the same slam?

NashaP
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:27 PM
A career slam vs 5 titles at say, Wimbledon or US open, etc

:oh:

heavyhorse
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:31 PM
5 titles of the same slam.

5 titles > 4 titles, at the end of the day. :shrug:

Rest Maria!
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM
No Sharapova is not greater than Venus if that's what you're implying.

In either case you're helluva successful, so who cares?

PetraReeMona
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:32 PM
5 titles - especially if it's Wimbledon :)

backhandsmash
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Depends on if it's 5 Wimbledon's or 5 of the other ones. If not, the career slam.

NashaP
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:34 PM

Venus has 7 slams, so this hypothetical situation is clearly not about her.

doomsday
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:34 PM

Noone is talking about Vee.

Maria is gonna win this poll anyway.:lol:

Setsuna.
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:35 PM
5 slams.

SilverSlam
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Career Slam. It shows you were better on all surfaces :shrug:

However winning 5 of the same slam, would mean a player was good consistently, even if only at one slam.

Rest Maria!
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Venus has 7 slams, so this hypothetical situation is clearly not about her.

She has 5 Wimbys, but no Career Slam.

NashaP
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:40 PM
She has 5 Wimbys, but no Career Slam.

Yeah but she has two other slams. My hypothetical question is about a player who only has 5 slams total.

heavyhorse
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Yeah but she has two other slams. My hypothetical question is about a player who only has 5 slams total.

What player(s) are you referring to then?

I can't really think of anyone who has 5 GSs of the same title.

Nicolás89
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM
It would be cool to win 5 Wimbledon or French Open because it would mean you're the best, at least on that surface.

Rest Maria!
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:44 PM

You didn't say that in the OP. :p Either way, it's a problem that 99,9% of players would love to have.

NashaP
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:45 PM
What player(s) are you referring to then?

I can't really think of anyone who has 5 GSs of the same title.

I'm not referring to ANY players. It is a HYPOTHETICAL situation LOLOLOLOLOLOL

doomsday
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:46 PM
It would be cool to win 5 Wimbledon or French Open because it would mean you're the best, at least on that surface.

The best :help: the very best should be able to win on EVERY surface in my book.

heavyhorse
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I'm not referring to ANY players. It is a HYPOTHETICAL situation LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Oh, my bad. You never said that in the OP so I thought you were trying to be shady by referring to an actual player.

i.will2
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Either way you're a Hall of Famer but I think I would rather have the career slam...if I couldn't win 5 Wimbledon titles. Having the career would put me in rare company but having 5 would show consistency or dominance on a surface.

joeh37
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Difficult decision.
5 slams at the same venue will mean you have probably been a top player for a longer period of time.
A career slam could take place over 2 years and then you disappear.
I think it would come down to other things. If the career slam is over two seasons or so, chances are you will be number one. Whereas 5 identical slams, there is a chance you will never make number one.

I think I would stiill back up the idea that 5slams>4slams so ceteris paribus I would take 5 slams.

Nicolás89
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM
The best :help: the very best should be able to win on EVERY surface in my book.

Lol I said the best on that surface, grass for winning Wimbledon and clay for winning Roland Garros.

And your point is weak because Sharapova won on every surface and she is not the best in nobody elses book but yours. :)

égalité
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:52 PM
So "Who do you like more: Sharapova or Venus?"

:oh:

I say Sharapova career slam.

Volcana
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:56 PM
There's a term in the USA. 'inside baseball'.

It means stuff that only means anything to fanatical purists of the sport. The career slam is that kind of stat. Agassi has the career slam. Sampras doesn't. Does it mean anything as a comparison?

I would rather have Justine Henin's career than Maria Sharapova's (to date).

legalise#
Nov 11th, 2012, 05:05 PM
5 of the same.

Alejandrawrrr
Nov 11th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Depends on a couple of things... 5 of which slam? PERSONALLY I would take Calendar Grand Slam >>>>> 5 Wimbledons > Non calendar Career Slam > 5 of any other slam. I mean winning FIVE fucking titles on a surface, even RG with our awful clay era is pretty badass. That's like, total domination(which I've always valued over versatility, within reason that is.) But with equal career accomplishments as far as titles won, YEC/OG/T1s, weeks at #1 etc, the career slam player would be statistically GREATER. I'll still take 5 Wimbledons though :oh:

Natural Joe
Nov 11th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I have a feeling this thread will derail to yet another Sharapova vs everybody else discussion. :hysteric:

I think it depends a bit on which time we're talking about. Back in the days when the surfaces weren't as homogenized I think I would have preferred a career slam. Nowadays I guess I'd rather have 5 slams than 4 because it's "easier" to be successful on all surfaces with the same style of play.

Mary Cherry.
Nov 11th, 2012, 05:27 PM
5 of the same so I could be really obnoxious and yell "THIS IS MY HOME LOLOL" every time I win.

acetoace
Nov 11th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Why is it that most idiotic threads on TF are created by desperate pova fan base? I mean why? Always something from them trying to make pova look better than she earned on the courts. Great players are respected not just for winning the big ones, but also for having the ability to defend slams. Pova has never, I mean NEVER defended any slam in almost 10yrs and they think she deserves the same respect accorded to great players like Henin, Kim and Venus?

Fluke Career Slam spanning almost a decade to accomplish & made possible by cupcake draws don't equate winning multiple slams in a season and defending same. Henin was off 2yrs from the tour and still came back to woop this phony player to shreds on clay. Of course, pova defeated SARA ERRANI to win FO:lol::lol::lol:

Not long ago, pova was labelled "Qeen of Grass" just b/cos she won Wimby 04 and couple of next to nothing MM grass titles in 05 just to front. Um.....FF to 2012, any reason why we no longer hear them call her "Queen of Grass" anymore? I think we all know the answer to that:rolleyes:. Now, according to her hallucinating fans, the "fraud in pova" is now "Queen of Clay" just b/cos.......:lol::lol::lol: . 2013 will be here soon and we would see how their fraudulent claim holds up. As history thaught us in the past, the "Queen of Australia" joke turned out to be an epic fail as was the "Queen of USO & Hardcourt" nonsense they peddled on TF for years.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Start da Game
Nov 11th, 2012, 05:49 PM
i would take 5 slams if all of them were either french or wimbledon......if not, career slam......

bandabou
Nov 11th, 2012, 05:50 PM
:lol: What's with these Mashatards, these day?! :facepalm: Career-slam this and that?! Maria has 4 majors TOTAL..it's great that she managed to win all 4 once...but let's stop the delusion that it somehow means that she is in ANY conversation about greatness. :lol:

Her position is along with Kim Clijsters/ Martina Hingis..so stop with the hyping like Maria's somehow in the Juju/Vee group.

homogenius
Nov 11th, 2012, 05:51 PM
career slam

doomsday
Nov 11th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Why is it that most idiotic threads on TF are created by desperate pova fan base? I mean why? Always something from them trying to make pova look better than she earned on the courts. Great players are respected not just for winning the big ones, but also for having the ability to defend slams. Pova has never, I mean NEVER defended any slam in almost 10yrs and they think she deserves the same respect accorded to great players like Henin, Kim and Venus?

Fluke Career Slam spanning almost a decade to accomplish & made possible by cupcake draws don't equate winning multiple slams in a season and defending same. Henin was off 2yrs from the tour and still came back to woop this phony player to shreds on clay. Of course, pova defeated SARA ERRANI to win FO:lol::lol::lol:

Not long ago, pova was labelled "Qeen of Grass" just b/cos she won Wimby 04 and couple of next to nothing MM grass titles in 05 just to front. Um.....FF to 2012, any reason why we no longer hear them call her "Queen of Grass" anymore? I think we all know the answer to that:rolleyes:. Now, according to her hallucinating fans, the "fraud in pova" is now "Queen of Clay" just b/cos.......:lol::lol::lol: . 2013 will be here soon and we would see how their fraudulent claim holds up. As history thaught us in the past, the "Queen of Australia" joke turned out to be an epic fail as was the "Queen of USO & Hardcourt" nonsense they peddled on TF for years.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:facepalm:

Joe.
Nov 11th, 2012, 06:24 PM
Career Slam, by far.

Alejandrawrrr
Nov 11th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Dead even 16-16 :speakles:

NashaP
Nov 11th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Why is it that most idiotic threads on TF are created by desperate pova fan base? I mean why? Always something from them trying to make pova look better than she earned on the courts. Great players are respected not just for blah blah blah

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/contrapositive/24203825sjjh2u9p.gif

backhandsmash
Nov 11th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Not really.

acetoace
Nov 11th, 2012, 06:43 PM
:http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/contrapositive/24203825sjjh2u9p.gif

This is all u got? No surprise since the facts are not on your side. Your moronic gif still fail to dispute the fact that pova never defended a slam and NEVER WON MULTIPLE SLAM in a season.:lol::lol::lol: Just another opportunistic player on tour:rolleyes: One thing is certain.....her luck is running out already. With a likely no slam for her in 2013, she would be heading 27 by this time next year further making the obvious even more profound:lol::lol::lol:

doomsday
Nov 11th, 2012, 06:51 PM
http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/contrapositive/24203825sjjh2u9p.gif

:lol: Where have you been all those years :lol: You're killing me.

ShiftyFella
Nov 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM
5 slam titles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 4 slam titles

Career Slam is overrated, it was created to say nicely that you're not good at any particular surface but somehow managed to get 4 fluke slam wins. On the other hand Calendar Career Slams(or Calendar Career Golden Slam) shows that player was GOAT all year and beat everyone.

damn, i voted for CS by mistake:lol:

backhandsmash
Nov 11th, 2012, 07:02 PM
"4 fluke slam wins"

Now there's a contradiction.

Stonerpova
Nov 11th, 2012, 07:04 PM
"4 fluke slam wins"

Now there's a contradiction.

Right? :spit:

NashaP
Nov 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM
:lol: Where have you been all those years :lol: You're killing me.

I was in Maria's womb, waiting for the queen to give birth to me

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcucvcP8Kq1qc5i9so1_400.gif

NashaMasha
Nov 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM
there are no players who won 5 titles of the same Slam and nothing more..... the closest one is Kuerten who with his 3 RG is inferiour to Capriati and Davenport in terms of achievements (to my mind)

players with great achievements just on one venue as usual have very weak W/L % , might have been considered as mugs outside their best surface.... It diminishes their achievements

for instance
players with CGS or at least 3 Slams on diff surfaces
Agassi 76%
Vilas 76.5%
Becker 77%
Edberg 75%
Wilander 72%
women
Capriati 71%
Hingis 80,5
Sharapova 80,4%
Davenport 79,5

and Kuerten with his just 64,7%..... it's less than Hewitt's , Rafter's, Kafelnikov's and other 2 Slam winners ratio. I rate Gustavo as a member of this group of player , not in the group of Ashe, Vilas , Courier

Sammo
Nov 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM

Yuk

NashaMasha
Nov 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM

Career Slam is overrated, it was created to say nicely that you're not good at any particular surface but somehow managed to get 4 fluke slam wins. On the other hand Calendar Career Slams(or Calendar Career Golden Slam) shows that player was GOAT all year and beat everyone.

so Davenport has 3 fluke Slams :lol:
and Serena - fluke Roland Garros title

Very brave statement )))

backhandsmash
Nov 11th, 2012, 07:20 PM
there are no players who won 5 titles of the same Slam and nothing more..... the closest one is Kuerten who with his 3 RG is inferiour to Capriati and Davenport in terms of achievements (to my mind)

players with great achievements just on one venue as usual have very weak W/L % , might have been considered as mugs outside their best surface.... It diminishes their achievements

for instance
Agassi 76%
Vilas 76.5%
Becker 77%
Edberg 75%
Wilander 72%
women
Capriati 71%
Hingis 80,5
Sharapova 80,4%
Davenport 79,5

and Kuerten with his just 64,7%..... it's less than Hewitt's , Rafter's, Kafelnikov's and other 2 Slam winners ratio. I rate Gustavo as a member of this group of player , not in the group of Ashe, Vilas , Courier

Don't bring the bitches into this.

ShiftyFella
Nov 11th, 2012, 07:46 PM
so Davenport has 3 fluke Slams :lol:
and Serena - fluke Roland Garros title

Very brave statement )))
Looking back at Rena career and how she played on clay, you can say so but her 02 year is more close to GOAT all year statement about Calendar Career Slam winners, also she proved that she's great dominant player. You can't just pick one particular slam win without context to season player played and other slams results that year. Try harder to overblown Pova's career slam, i know you can do better than this

Mixal
Nov 11th, 2012, 07:47 PM

Delusional.

:lol: What's with these Mashatards, these day?! :facepalm: Career-slam this and that?! Maria has 4 majors TOTAL..it's great that she managed to win all 4 once...but let's stop the delusion that it somehow means that she is in ANY conversation about greatness. :lol:

Her position is along with Kim Clijsters/ Martina Hingis..so stop with the hyping like Maria's somehow in the Juju/Vee group.

Pressed.

NashaP (who is a troll, btw) said that it wasn't Sharapova vs. some other player because no other player has 5 of the same, but even when Sharapova fanbase doesn't bring Maria into discussion, be sure that Serena's fanbase will. Ugh.

Anyway, 5 slams.

NashaMasha
Nov 11th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Looking back at Rena career and how she played on clay, you can say so but her 02 year is more close to GOAT all year statement about Calendar Career Slam winners, also she proved that she's great dominant player. You can't just pick one particular slam win without context to season player played and other slams results that year. Try harder to overblown Pova's career slam, i know you can do better than this

Slam can be fluke if player once reached Final and won it because of the lucky draw, injured main opponents , but if player has Finals in addition to the Slam and multiple Semifinals , it means her Major title is well deserved

for instance Myskina was only once in Semi + Final +Won Title = probably fluke

You can't say it about Sharapova , so try harder

by the way, OP should clearify the topic of discussion because 5 Slams + 3 Finals on all other Slams and 5 Slams and no Finals or even no QF on all other Slams are 3 different situations

acetoace
Nov 11th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Delusional.

Pressed.

NashaP (who is a troll, btw) said that it wasn't Sharapova vs. some other player because no other player has 5 of the same, but even when Sharapova fanbase doesn't bring Maria into discussion, be sure that Serena's fanbase will. Ugh.

Anyway, 5 slams.

Woow.... I can see how great a discerning mind u have:lol: Obviously u can't read between the lines. Are u saying that, despite the fact u know NashaP to be a pova fan and a deranged troll, u actually need to see "pova's name expressly mentioned in his/her original post before u can understand that the purpose of his/her thread was about pova and how to polish pova record to look better than it stands?

Ever heard of drawing conclusions by implication? Since pova won FO, I have never seen career slam mentioned in TF than anytime in the annals of the forum.:help:

faboozadoo15
Nov 11th, 2012, 08:23 PM
:spit: 4 fluke slams.
:haha: Some people need a dictionary.

How many more threads will acetoace show his ass in during the offseason?

atominside
Nov 11th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Woow.... I can see how great a discerning mind u have:lol: Obviously u can't read between the lines. Are u saying that, despite the fact u know NashaP to be a pova fan and a deranged troll, u actually need to see "pova's name expressly mentioned in his/her original post before u can understand that the purpose of his/her thread was about pova and how to polish pova record to look better than it stands?

Ever heard of drawing conclusions by implication? Since pova won FO, I have never seen career slam mentioned in TF than anytime in the annals of the forum.:help:

maybe because its happened recently :shrug: and the last time a woman did it was 9 years ago.

That 4 fluke slams statement :help:
acetoace is an embarassment to serena fans.

ShiftyFella
Nov 11th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Slam can be fluke if player once reached Final and won it because of the lucky draw, injured main opponents , but if player has Finals in addition to the Slam and multiple Semifinals , it means her Major title is well deserved

for instance Myskina was only once in Semi + Final +Won Title = probably fluke

You can't say it about Sharapova , so try harder

by the way, OP should clearify the topic of discussion because 5 Slams + 3 Finals on all other Slams and 5 Slams and no Finals or even no QF on all other Slams are 3 different situations
Constantly reaching F\SF at slams can be flip-flopped from "this player consistent on this surface" to "this player is mental midget who can't win tittle at the biggest stage", so only wins that counts when all set and done.

Let's say we have two players who spend 10years on tour and both won 4 slam titles but

Player A: Won 4 slams on all different surfaces without winning more than one slam a year and never had back to back years of slam wins

Player B: Won 4 slams on one surface and had at least one back to back year of slam wins

For me player B is greater than player A because having more than one slam at one particular surface means you're the best player on that surface while having 4 titles on 4 different surfaces means that somehow gods of the draw helped you to get them.

anyway, 5 slams >>>> 4 slams, so try harder.

doomsday
Nov 11th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Constantly reaching F\SF at slams can be flip-flopped from "this player consistent on this surface" to "this player is mental midget who can't win tittle at the biggest stage", so only wins that counts when all set and done.

Let's say we have two players who spend 10years on tour and both won 4 slam titles but

Player A: Won 4 slams on all different surfaces without winning more than one slam a year and never had back to back years of slam wins

Player B: Won 4 slams on one surface and had at least one back to back year of slam wins

For me player B is greater than player A because having more than one slam at one particular surface means you're the best player on that surface while having 4 titles on 4 different surfaces means that somehow gods of the draw helped you to get them.

SgtKimmy is that you? :lol:

NashaMasha
Nov 11th, 2012, 08:43 PM

absolutely wrong, because player who could win 4 Slams on clay may suck on hard and grass and considered to be a clay warm and not taken seriously anywhere except Roland Garros ....

Actually better player is the one who can win more titles, win on all surfaces , be competitive on all Majors. Lindsay Davenport was a much better player than Kuerten , same for Capriati

That's my point

If in your opinion Kuerten is better than these 2 , nobody should take your posts serious anymore

SgtKimmy is that you? :lol:
i guess he is using the same ip ))) who can check it?

doomsday
Nov 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM
maybe because its happened recently :shrug: and the last time a woman did it was 9 years ago.

That 4 fluke slams statement :help:
acetoace is an embarassment to serena fans.

More like an embarrassment to human race.

Monzanator
Nov 11th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Ever since Sharapova completed Career GS it suddenly became a totally irrelevant thing according to TF. Winning the 5th Slam @ Marbella is more important these days than some phoney CGS :wavey: We've already established that Sharapova is the worst thing that happened to women's tennis in the past ten years so why bother with these threads again and again? :scratch:

Rest Maria!
Nov 11th, 2012, 08:55 PM
^
It was a Pova stan who opened this thread :haha:

Monzanator
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:00 PM
^
It was a Pova stan who opened this thread :haha:

Doesn't matter, the vultures are searching for the prey :rocker:

duhcity
Ever since Sharapova completed Career GS it suddenly became a totally irrelevant thing according to TF. Winning the 5th Slam @ Marbella is more important these days than some phoney CGS :wavey: We've already established that Sharapova is the worst thing that happened to women's tennis in the past ten years so why bother with these threads again and again? :scratch:

Only 3 players have, and probably ever will, win the Marbella slam. It's the stuff of legends.

I'd take 5 slams. Only having one on each surface is rather telling, and I really would be shocked if Maria didn't win another slam.

NashaMasha
Lindsay Davenport on the Wertheim tweet ("what unites the likes of Davenport, Seles, Henin, Hingis - they've never won CGS") answered

Lindsay Davenport ‏@LDavenport76

I believe winning a career grand slam puts her at a higher level in history books even though (so far) she's 'only' won 4 slams.

It's competent opinion.....

Monzanator
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Only 3 players have, and probably ever will, win the Marbella slam. It's the stuff of legends.

I'd take 5 slams. Only having one on each surface is rather telling, and I really would be shocked if Maria didn't win another slam.

Finally someone who understands that Marbella is the only important thing in WTA. Career Grand Slam is a random excuse for wimps unless of course your first name is Serena :hearts:

Lindsay Davenport on the Wertheim tweet ("what unites the likes of Davenport, Seles, Henin, Hingis - they've never won CGS") answered

I believe winning a career grand slam puts her at a higher level in history books even though (so far) she's 'only' won 4 slams.

Davenport never won Marbella. So much for being "competent" :shrug:

ShiftyFella
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:05 PM
absolutely wrong, because player who could win 4 Slams on clay may suck on hard and grass and considered to be a clay warm and not taken seriously anywhere except Roland Garros ....

Actually better player is the one who can win more titles, win on all surfaces , be competitive on all Majors. Lindsay Davenport was a much better player than Kuerten , same for Capriati

That's my point

If in your opinion Kuerten is better than these 2 , nobody should take your posts serious anymore

I never said that because you can't compare ATP to WTA players, Linsday has other intangibles that solidify her career and her place in HOF.

Your point only works when you count "being competitive" stuff, I'd rather be considered one of the greatest grass players with few Wimbledon titles behind my belt then "be competitive all year"

BTW, You can't diminish Gustavo's achievements because he proved that he's great clay player and only one who managed to beat Agassi and Sampras on route to the title, it's like beating Martina and Steffi to get YEC title in WTA

Natural Joe
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:08 PM
My favorite quote on this topic is still this one: :hysteric:

She's proved that she can only win a slam once on each surface...that to me is a fluke, she's never been able to repeat her success at a slam more than once. The fact that 4 slams were on in 8 years suggests a vulture to me.

Until she has won 3 of those slams again I'll remain unconvinced.

To bad he's banned so we'll have to live on without his insightful comments. :spit:

NashaMasha
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Your point only works when you count "being competitive" stuff, I'd rather be considered one of the greatest grass players with few Wimbledon titles behind my belt then "be competitive all year"

so you really think that player who wins 5 Wimbledons and who is always beaten everywhere except grass in early rounds and considered to be hardcourt and claycourt mug is a greater player than all-surface players?

Venus Williams was in all Finals and won Slams on 2 surfaces, so her 5 Wimbledons are not diminished by sucking on all other surfaces , that's why she is great ....

To bad he's banned so we'll have to live on without his insightful comments

his reincarnation is already posting in this thread ,

Monzanator
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:16 PM
so you really think that player who wins 5 Wimbledons and who is always beaten everywhere except grass in early rounds and considered to be hardcourt and claycourt mug is a greater player than all-surface players?

Venus Williams was in all Finals and won Slams on 2 surfaces, so her 5 Wimbledons are not diminished by sucking on all other surfaces , that's why she is great ....

You can't possibly win 5 Wimbledons and suck everywhere else (even Pironkova isn't that bad :haha: ). It would be most possible with FO, but still a long shot. Sometimes it's not all about the surface ;)

Mixal
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:17 PM

True. But we can also have normal discussion about this topic if we want. It's a legit question.

saint2
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM
5>4.

And generally I find ranking more important than slams...

NashaMasha
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:18 PM
You can't possibly win 5 Wimbledons and suck everywhere else (even Pironkova isn't that bad :haha: ). It would be most possible with FO, but still a long shot. Sometimes it's not all about the surface ;)

Kuerten managed to win 3 Roland Garros titles and never was in SF at any other Major

ShiftyFella
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:21 PM

IF outside of slam wins everything is equal between them i.e number of titles, weeks at #1, YEC titles, OG medals, FC trophies, h2h then yes but if not the player who got better resume on top of slam wins is better. it's all about numbers at the end, simple as that

SV_Fan
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I would rather have 5 of the same.

NashaMasha
Nov 11th, 2012, 09:28 PM
IF outside of slam wins everything is equal between them i.e number of titles, weeks at #1, YEC titles, OG medals, FC trophies, h2h then yes but if not the player who get better resume on top of slam wins is better. it's all about numbers at the end, simple as that

in this case i agree , if player has 5 Slams and was very close to CGS (Like Hingis) she is slightly better than player with CGS and just 4 Slams

but for instance Clijsters with her 3 Us Open+ AO isn't better than Sharapova's All-4 , because she wasn't anywhere near to CGS

jrollaneres25
Nov 12th, 2012, 03:15 AM
If it's Wimbledon, then I'd rather have 5 Wimbledons!

StoneRose
Nov 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM
5 > 4.

Sharapowerr
Nov 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Venus is much older so Maria has still time:)

Joelina
Nov 12th, 2012, 02:32 PM

you know that your post has no logic at all, don´t you?

it mean then that Serena´s FO is fluke, Justine´s AO is fluke, Clijsters´s AO is fluke,...

:confused:

Geisha
Nov 12th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Five of the same GS. It means you've been a GS champion for five years. A 'Career Slam' can be accomplished in one year. To me, someone can win 30+ clay court titles and show that they're one of the greatest on clay, despite not winning a French Open. That's just my two cents.

Monzanator
Nov 12th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Five of the same GS. It means you've been a GS champion for five years. A 'Career Slam' can be accomplished in one year. To me, someone can win 30+ clay court titles and show that they're one of the greatest on clay, despite not winning a French Open. That's just my two cents.

Just two active players have won more than 30 titles in their career, so your number is somewhat questionable. Moreover, I didn't notice anyone talking about Anabel Medina Garrigues as one of the "greats" of women's tennis even on clay despite her fitting your criteria the best. So, either you're seeing AMG as the best clay court player of XXI century behind Henin or simply you've lost the plot.

Roookie
Nov 12th, 2012, 03:04 PM
5 titles of the same slam. Specially if its Roland Garros.

sweetadri06
Nov 12th, 2012, 03:17 PM
A career slam AND 5 titles of the same slam: Steffi, Martina, Chris and Serena. :)

SerenaSlam
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Neither. Is rather be like Serena have both. A career slam and five titles at one slam. She just so happens to have 5 at two slams and a career slam. Lol

young_gunner913
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:18 PM
5 >>> 4

I'd take 5 slams especially if they're Wimby. :hearts:

NashaMasha
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:22 PM
5 >>> 4

I'd take 5 slams especially if they're Wimby. :hearts:

what is they are 5 AO :confused:

young_gunner913
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:27 PM
what is they are 5 AO :confused:

Just as great. :inlove:

doomsday
Nov 12th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Neither. Is rather be like Serena have both. A career slam and five titles at one slam. She just so happens to have 5 at two slams and a career slam. Lol

:rolleyes:

gbenga
Nov 12th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Not really if thats all you have. And thats all Sharapova have going for her so far.

Open era CGS:
Margaret Court, Billie Jean King, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova

Anyone can see Sharapova as the odd one out. She doesn't quite fit.

Kairi
Nov 12th, 2012, 05:21 PM
5>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.4

She should've gone to the Clinic tbh.

NashaMasha
Nov 12th, 2012, 05:25 PM
Not really if thats all you have. And thats all Sharapova have going for her so far.

Open era CGS:
Margaret Court, Billie Jean King, Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, Steffi Graf, Serena Williams and Maria Sharapova

the fact that only greatest players could make this formidable achievement only gives advantage to Maria's result

young_gunner913
Nov 12th, 2012, 06:04 PM
the fact that only greatest players could make this formidable achievement only gives advantage to Maria's result

Lulz.

This reminds me of the time they were taking pride in the Silver Career Slam. :lol:

gbenga
Nov 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM

Again NOT if she stop at 4 GS titles. And even if she wins more her challenges/drawbacks are still quite formidable including that everyone on that list except her have a double digit GS titles.

Meanwhile Venus and Henin have already made routine legendary achievements like winning back to back slams and holding 2 titles in same year, a surface domination, a season domination and an olympic gold medal. At the moment I can't see how Sharapova's career slam alone tops these achievements plus that they actually hold more majors/titles than she does.

doomsday
Nov 12th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Again NOT if she stop at 4 GS titles. And even if she wins more her challenges/drawbacks are still quite formidable including that everyone on that list except her have a double digit GS titles.

Meanwhile Venus and Henin have already made routine legendary achievements like winning back to back slams and holding 2 titles at the same time, a surface domination, a season domination and an olympic gold medal. At the moment I can't see how Sharapova's career slam alone tops these achievements plus that they actually hold more majors/titles than she does.

You digress. Noone said that this thread was a battle between Sharapova and Henin/Venus.

gbenga
Nov 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM
^No I didn't. The bolded part is clearly Sharapova.

Monzanator
Nov 12th, 2012, 06:41 PM

Open era CGS:

I suspect she doesn't give a damn about whether she fits or not :lol: She has a CGS and you can only weep and bang your head against the wall :wavey:

Lulz.

This reminds me of the time they were taking pride in the Silver Career Slam. :lol:

I am still proud of that. Losing to the best player of the decade is no reason to be ashamed of. But you wouldn't understand that and I don't think any Serena fan will. It's the part of cheering for an inferior player and Serena fans have it much easier in all the comparisons. Besides it's not like Maria lost the Career Golden Slam to Kudryavtseva or other mug :lol:

NashaMasha
Nov 12th, 2012, 06:42 PM
^No I didn't. The bolded part is clearly Sharapova.

the problem is that tennis is still about winning Majors and winning all of them , Career can be considered complete if only player managed to win all the titles , including All Slams , YEC, Olympics (since 1988)

Masha has already won All-4 , now for her it's not important what Slam she must win, no pressure on her , whereas Henin was struggling to win Wimbledon and Hingis -French Open , it was their goal , but they couldn't achieve it

Beat
Nov 12th, 2012, 06:46 PM
career slam. i would start pondering from 6 slams on.

SerenaSlam
Nov 12th, 2012, 07:04 PM
:rolleyes:

You're making my neck hurt. Maybe you should roll your neck and snap twice instead. Easier to follow than eyes going in circles! GIG!!

gbenga
Nov 12th, 2012, 07:06 PM
I suspect she doesn't give a damn about whether she fits or not :lol: She has a CGS and you can only weep and bang your head against the wall :wavey:

Of course she cares why else would she still be grinding on tour?? And you don't need to get testy, I commend her career slam achievement I just don't think it is enough to claim that she has achieved more than Henin and Venus just because they have no career slam.

Lucemferre
Nov 12th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Sharapova's always been special in her own way and I'm glad she's completed the career slam which puts her in a very special place.

Nicolás89
Nov 12th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I am still proud of that. Losing to the best player of the decade is no reason to be ashamed of.

Maria and her fans must be the proudest bunch of people there is then.

miffedmax
Nov 12th, 2012, 08:57 PM

for instance
Agassi 76%
Vilas 76.5%
Becker 77%
Edberg 75%
Wilander 72%
women
Capriati 71%
Hingis 80,5
Sharapova 80,4%
Davenport 79,5

Molla Mallory won 8 US Opens (more than any other player) and was a runner up at the French and Wimbledon. So she was better than 5-0 at one slam only, albeit before the Open Era.

Anyway, for some reason I'd rather win 5. No real clear reason. Though like Mary Cherry I would yell "This is my house." Actually, I'd yell "This is my house, y'all" because I'm from Texas.

MB.
Nov 12th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Career slams.

5 may be greater than 4, but your 5 Slams will always come with an asterix attached. You can't argue a Carrer GS.

Olórin
Nov 12th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Career slams.

5 may be greater than 4, but your 5 Slams will always come with an asterix attached. You can't argue a Carrer GS.

What would that asterisk be for?

C. Drone
Nov 12th, 2012, 10:10 PM
maybe there should be a math captcha whenever somebody register here or opens a thread.

Also having hamburger every week or eating different things... latter i guess.

MB.
Nov 13th, 2012, 12:29 AM
What would that asterisk be for?

That you could only win one of the 4 Slams.

doktor
Nov 13th, 2012, 04:12 AM
I'd personally take the Career Grand Slam. There's something about the symmetry of it.

And if we're going to turn this into a Masha vs. every other more accomplished tennis player in the history of sport and some who aren't hate thread, can we at least wait till she retires so we get those stats right.

binky-GOAT
Nov 13th, 2012, 04:25 AM
5 slams. Career slam or any variety slam will only be a factor if both players had the same amount of slams.

Number of slams always comes first.