PDA

View Full Version : Why is the AO weak GS for Sam Stosur?

Gentleman
Nov 9th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Nov 9 (Reuters) - Sam Stosur hopes to banish her home court demons on the way to more grand slam glory after failing to add to her major trophies in 2012, the Australian said on Friday.

"Overall, finishing number nine in the world, it's still pretty good," the former US Open champion told local media.

"It's not as high as I wanted it to be, that's for sure.

"But taking a break and reflecting, parts of my game have improved and others can still improve."

Foremost on Stosur's mind will be improving her game Down Under where nerves have got the better of her time and again.

Stosur, 28, who has long consulted with a sports psychologist and made little secret of her yips in front of home fans, exited in the first round at this year's Australian Open, where she has never gone beyond the third round.

"I put far too much pressure on myself in the Aussie summer because I really, really wanted to do well," she said.

"You only get the opportunity to play at home for a few weeks and I probably built it up too big and didn't handle the occasions on court very well at all."

Although in her twilight years in tennis terms, Stosur still believes she can capture a second grand slam title after her breakthrough at Flushing Meadows in 2011 where she upset Serena Williams in the final.

"For sure. Now that I've done it once, you have to think 'why can't it happen again?'," she said.

"It was a great two weeks, I played unbelievable tennis and obviously that final was everything you want a grand slam final to be.

"You do it once, you want to believe you can do it again." (Reporting by Ian Ransom; Editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

What do you guys think? Never seemed to me like she has problems with the self confidence on court... Why is the AO weak GS for Sam Stosur?

Natural Joe
Nov 9th, 2012, 02:47 PM
What about Wimbledon? :scratch:

Gentleman
Nov 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
She got to the fourth round in 2006 so the article is wrong :unsure:

Anyway, for sure she struggles due to home pressure, especially this year being the reigning US Open champion

Yes, you have right, I changed the thread's name. :)

Danars
Nov 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
She got to the fourth round in 2006 so the article is wrong :unsure:

Anyway, for sure she struggles due to home pressure, especially this year being the reigning US Open champion

And also in 2010.

I guess she puts too much pressure on her self. It's like Mauresmo and French Open.

I really hope Stosur can reach the second week in Melbourne next year!

stromatolite
Nov 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Without a doubt it was nerves that did her in this year, but it's a myth that Sam always buckles under the pressure when playing at home.

Her first two WTA finals were in Australia, and other than this year she hasn't really done that badly at the AO. For a long time it was even her best slam. I don't think the plexicushion surface really suits her game (the bounce is too low), but even so it has usually taken good players (Dementieva, Serena, Kvitova) to beat her since the AO changed to that surface. Next year she won't have the weight of expectation of playing as reigning US champ, so she should be fine. Not saying she'll win the title or anything, but I think she'll have an okay run.

Mateo Mathieu
Nov 9th, 2012, 03:56 PM
She played better when it was on Rebound Ace (slower than the current one).

Monzanator
Nov 9th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Home court pressure. Some people perform at best in front of home crowd, some perform at their worst. Unfortunately Stosur falls into the latter category. I suspect even if AO was played on clay, she'd still struggle.

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Ask Amelie Mauresmo too.:oh:

Miracle Worker
Nov 9th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Because she's mental midget.

NashaMasha
Nov 9th, 2012, 05:09 PM
What about Wimbledon? :scratch:

:lol::lol::lol:

forehand27
Nov 9th, 2012, 07:09 PM
She doesnt have the game for high bouncing slow hard court. Just look at her match with Kvitova in 2011 where she had 0 winners in one of the sets. Her weapons are not effective on those courts, especialy vs players with strong returns off her kick serves and who are stronger off the ground.

hBence
Nov 9th, 2012, 07:25 PM
She feels too much pleasure there. Like Serena in Paris this year. :o

Patrick345
Nov 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM
She feels too much pleasure there. Like Serena in Paris this year. :o

I know who pleasures Serena in Paris :oh:, but who pleasures Sam in Australia? :p

n1_and_uh_noone
Nov 9th, 2012, 07:57 PM
She doesnt have the game for high bouncing slow hard court. Just look at her match with Kvitova in 2011 where she had 0 winners in one of the sets. Her weapons are not effective on those courts, especialy vs players with strong returns off her kick serves and who are stronger off the ground.

Er... what :lol: ? This is the perfect surface for her. If anything, her USO win is more surprising because it is still faster than the AO. Her problem on any surface is players figuring out her patterns and/or rushing her.

jj74
Nov 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM
She suffers the Mauresmo syndrome. Both are not mentally strong, and playing at home with a crowd that expect big thing from you is not easy.

supertiebreak
Nov 9th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Playing in front of a home crowd must put so much pressure on Stosur, just like Mauresmo at RG. Plus Sam isn't known for her mental strength anyway. :oh:

hBence
Nov 9th, 2012, 08:48 PM
I know who pleasures Serena in Paris :oh:, but who pleasures Sam in Australia? :p

the home crowd

Gentleman
Nov 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I would really like to see her reaching Australian open final, imagine how Ausies would make a great atmosphere. Who knows when Australians will have such a great WTA player again... :)

dsanders06
Nov 9th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Pressure is obviously a factor, but the surface actually ISN'T that good for her. It's a misconception that the thing that matters with Stosur is the speed of the court, it's more about the bounce and how receptive the surface is to topspin. The US Open, while quicker than the AO, has a considerably higher bounce and has a much 'grippier' surface (therefore more topspin-friendly), which is why she's done so well there compared to Australia.

Brad[le]y.
Nov 9th, 2012, 09:37 PM
She suffers the Mauresmo syndrome. Both are not mentally strong, and playing at home with a crowd that expect big thing from you is not easy.

Mauresmo could at least be counted on to reach the second week of RG; Stosur can't even manage that.

DomenicDemaria
Nov 10th, 2012, 12:27 AM
This years was properly the worse one. But prior to that she lost to Serena, Kvitova and Dementieva which isn't too bad.

Invisible Fan
Nov 10th, 2012, 03:43 AM
I would really like to see her reaching Australian open final, imagine how Ausies would make a great atmosphere. Who knows when Australians will have such a great WTA player again... :)

Ash Barty? hopefully :)
Agree with others apart from this year AO hasn't been that bad for Stosur.

Smith Saybrook
Nov 10th, 2012, 04:54 AM
It's always been the pressure for her. Which could explain her low title count. She struggled and needed three sets to beat Han Xinyun one year.

That's all pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

stromatolite
Nov 10th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Pressure is obviously a factor, but the surface actually ISN'T that good for her. It's a misconception that the thing that matters with Stosur is the speed of the court, it's more about the bounce and how receptive the surface is to topspin. The US Open, while quicker than the AO, has a considerably higher bounce and has a much 'grippier' surface (therefore more topspin-friendly), which is why she's done so well there compared to Australia.

You beat me to it. This sums things up nicely :)