PDA

View Full Version : Maria's best match in 2012?

Shivank17
Nov 7th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Which match according to you was Maria's best(in terms of quality) in 2012? In case you have missed any of the following the highlights have been posted as well.

1.Australian Open Semifinal:
(4)Maria Sharapova(RUS) def. (2)Petra Kvitova(CZE)6-2 3-6 6-4
bKsoSMyyf0c
(Courtesy: PDWtennisvidz)

2.Stuttgart Quarterfinal:
(2)Maria Sharapova(RUS) def. (5)Samantha Stosur(AUS) 6-7(5) 7-6(5) 7-5
vU8V74-xl64
(Courtesy: aussiessharapova1)

3.Stuttgart Semifinal:
(2)Maria Sharapova(RUS) def. (3)Petra Kvitova(CZE) 6-4 7-6(3)
UhO28BquYLw
(Courtesy: QueenMariaSharapova2)

4.Stuttgart Final:
(2)Maria Sharapova(RUS) def. (1)Victoria Azarenka(BLR) 6-1 6-4
yJtZ-RvYiJc
(Courtesy: JOTennisVideos)

5.Roland Garros Semifinal:
(2)Maria Sharapova(RUS) def. (4)Petra Kvitova(CZE) 6-3 6-3
-no highlights on youtube. :[

6.Roland Garros Final: (included for sentimental purposes :angel: )
(2)Maria Sharapova(RUS) def. (21)Sara Errani(ITA) 6-3 6-2
A3hDYerWGbk

7.Olympics R16:
(3)Maria Sharapova(RUS) def. (15)Sabine Lisicki(GER) 6-7(8) 6-4 6-3
http://www.putlocker.com/file/4036D81B20B85159
(Courtesy: JamieOwen3)

8.Olympics Semifinal:
(3)Maria Sharapova(RUS) def. (14)Maria Kirilenko(RUS) 6-2 6-3

http://www.putlocker.com/file/B38874DC181CBD76
(Courtesy: JamieOwen3)

9.Beijing Quarterfinal:
(2)Maria Sharapova(RUS) def. (5)Angelique Kerber(GER) 6-0 3-0 RET.
2RUHkGNVIS4
(courtesy: Aussiesharapova2)

10. YEC Istanbul Semifinal:
(2)Maria Sharapova(RUS) def. (1)Victoria Azarenka(BLR) 6-4 6-2
YY-Jb0jJTT4

These were best 10 quality wise IMO, feel free to add more.

Shivank17
Nov 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Pls ignore the :[ in the poll. :hysteric: :o

Stonerpova
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Kerber in Beijing or the Stuttgart final

Trih
Nov 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I should watch the Stosur match in Stuttgart, too bad I missed it because I've heard some tennis journalist and ES commentator saying, in his opinion, it was the best match of the year (overall) even better than USO final.
About the matches I saw: AO SF and Stuttgart F. :inlove:

Crux Squall
Nov 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
From what i remember, I vote for Olympic SF against Kirilenko

Mexicola
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:19 PM
I'll go with the Stuttgart Final against Vika. Maria was totally dominant and in control from start to finish. You could tell there was no way she was going lose after what happened in Melbourne and Indian Wells. That was as determined and focused as I saw her all year.

31 winners to only 13 UFEs. 8 aces to 3 DFs. 63% first serves. Only 3/11 on break chances, but she put the pressure on Vika all day and was so superior. A great performance to bring home the title.

Effy
Nov 7th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Pls ignore the :[ in the poll. :hysteric: :o

:haha:

-------
Stuttgart Final for me :drool:

SilverSlam
Nov 7th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Quality wise? Probably Stosur in Stuttgart. I also like VIP in Rome because she was being owned till Ana had SPs, and then they produced some AMAZING tennis and Maria just clinched the first set. Second set wasn't as good, but meh.

Gergo
Nov 7th, 2012, 08:26 PM
I think the RG semifinal is very underrated! Qualitywise it was nothing special, but the way Maria handled it... The wind, the crowd... She handled it very well! Just like old times...

Fiercepova
Nov 7th, 2012, 11:18 PM
The Stuttgart final is always the best match she has played since coming back from the shoulder surgery for me :worship: The winner-error ratio was too good. Her serve was awesome in this match and the whole tournament :drool: She was so focused and dominant from the beginning to the end. She was so flawless in that day for me, I mean I never doubted she was going to lose while watching it. I always watched this match after she had lost a match to feel better, and to be honest, it really worked :D

CHECCUS
Nov 7th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Stuttgart QFs

claypova
Nov 8th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Stuttgart final was the most satisfying win :)

Reptilia
Nov 8th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Probably the Stuttgart final.

I also thought she played great in Rome against Venus

MM_1257
Nov 8th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Quality wise? Probably Stosur in Stuttgart. I also like VIP in Rome because she was being owned till Ana had SPs, and then they produced some AMAZING tennis and Maria just clinched the first set. Second set wasn't as good, but meh.

You mean until Ana crumbled? :lol: 2nd set was awful... It wasn't a good match.

killerqueen
Nov 13th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Stuttgart final. :D Totally dominated the game from start to finish, which must have been tough to do after so many crappy losses to Azarenka. Plus it was on my birthday. :)

Stosur in the QF was definitely the best match Maria was involved in (in fact, for me it was the best overall) though I don't think her standard was quite as high as in the final.

NashaMasha
Nov 13th, 2012, 11:47 PM
I voted for
1) AO SFs: [4]Sharapova def. [2]Kvitova 6-2 3-6 6-4 , turning point in Kvitova-Sharapova rivalry in 2012
2) Stuttgart QFs2]Sharapova def. [5]Stosur 6-7(5) 7-6(5) 7-5, best match quality wise
3) Olympics R163]Sharapova def. [15]Lisicki 6-7(8) 6-4 6-3, one of the most important matches in Masha's career and she did it for her country, she just couldn't lose after being flagbearer for Russia
4) both Masha's wins over Azarenka , their rivalry is still ahead , but in 2012 Masha made a statement that it won't be easy for Azarenka

shaktincredible
Nov 14th, 2012, 04:54 PM
for me it's tie between Stuttgart final and Beijing quarter.

but i vote Beijing because WOW. beijingpova at her peak. she didn't even let Kerber won a game eventhough the match was more tight than the score suggest. this match is underrated anyway.

Slampova
Nov 15th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Definitely the Stuttgart Final. After watching her get thrashed by Azarenka at AO and IW and of course the loss we shall not mention in Miami, it was great to see Maria get that final match monkey off her back

dsanders06
Nov 15th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Stuttgart final for sure, in terms of level of play.

That said, her Australian Open run still holds special value for me, even if it ended on a sour note. I really had doubts this time last year if she still had Grand Slam-winning tennis left in her, and it was that tournament that convinced me she was going to get that 4th Slam eventually. And even though on paper I thought ahead of her SF against Kvitova that she had a decent shot, it had been so long since she got that kind of scalp at a Slam that I don't think I truly believed in my heart until I saw it happen with my own eyes. So in some ways, even if that SF wasn't her best performance of the year (although I do think the match is underrated quality-wise, Kvitova played a shitty last game but up til then the 3rd set was great imo), in some ways it has the most sentimental value for me.

Mistress of Evil
Dec 2nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
1. Stuttgart Final
She had her best winners/ues ratio ever. Great display!

2. Stuttgart QFs
Quite the turnaround and an amazing match from both.

3. 3rd round Olympics
The intensity. Maria was so freaking nervous. The first set was divine.

Honorable mentions:
3rd AO Kerber, RG Final, All the Kvitova matches

MashaFan01
Dec 12th, 2012, 10:13 PM
What about Maria Sharapova vs Sabine Lisicki @ the Olympics - That smile after she had hit that lefty winner @ the net was wonderful

MashaAzarenka
Dec 28th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Honestly, her match against Stosur in Stuttgart was one of the greatest matches I have ever seen her play in my entire life. Her serve was incredible, everything was on that whole tournament. If only she could hit serves and backhands like that all the time..