PDA

View Full Version : USA Elections 2012: Obama or Romney?

MarkNL
Nov 5th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Guess it has been asked before but whatever :lol:

In my direct environment in the Netherlands, actually everyone is supporting Obama, including myself. :)

My uncle and some of my cousins who have lived in the US for 19 years turned American this year and will vote for the 1st time this year :cheer: (They will vote for Obama :armed:)

saint2
Nov 5th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Romney seems clueless, but during the campaign he said one important thing for Poland (though he may not even know where Poland is). So I'll go with him.

King Halep
Nov 5th, 2012, 04:21 PM
It hardly matters which side wins, they are almost the same. They waste billions on the campaign trying to convince people that they are different.

Novichok
Nov 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM
It hardly matters which side wins, they are almost the same. They waste billions on the campaign trying to convince people that they are different.

They might be "almost the same". But there are differences and those differences do matter. Two issues that come to mind are Supreme Court nominations and gay rights. These are important for lots of people.

Mary Cherry.
Nov 5th, 2012, 04:43 PM

This is my opinion on politics and elections in general tbh.

Drake1980
Nov 5th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Obama will win easily, it's funny how the media is acting like it's close.

Inger67
Nov 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Obama will win easily, it's funny how the media is acting like it's close.

I hope you're right. I've seen numerous polls saying Romney is up a point in the general election but have also seen Obama leading in the electoral college system (which is the only one that matters) :scared:

Mistress of Evil
Nov 5th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hillary!

dybbuk
Nov 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I hope you're right. I've seen numerous polls saying Romney is up a point in the general election but have also seen Obama leading in the electoral college system (which is the only one that matters) :scared:

The large majority of national polls in the past week have Obama up. But more importantly Obama leads in all but a couple of the swing states, and leads in the really important ones. He has a large electoral college buffer that makes him a decent sized favorite.

M.P
Nov 5th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Obama has to win, otherwise i will believe the world end on 21st December 2012

charmedRic
Nov 5th, 2012, 06:08 PM
I'll be at the polls right at 7AM.

Sammo
Nov 5th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Obama has defects but Romney would be worse than George W. Bush as a president, I mean, he's already shown that he's a complete moron. But the worst part of it it's that he's intelligent for his own interests

miffedmax
Nov 5th, 2012, 07:03 PM
The party that fails biology, political science and history asks us to believe they're going to get an "A" in economics.

That's why I voted for Obama. Although down ticket I did vote for some GOP candidates in some local races.

For the record, I'm an Independent, former GOP voter. Interestingly, according to those political tests I've moved from dead center to center/left over the years without changing my opinion on anything except gay rights. Which I am upfront enough to admit changed largely when my brother came out.

$uricate
Nov 5th, 2012, 07:49 PM

This in its entirety.

Both are just figureheads and it will make no difference who eventually wins :shrug:

There are larger forces at work behind the scenes and no matter who wins the same will happen ;)

Nothing will change.

$uricate
Nov 5th, 2012, 07:53 PM
And further to this.

I was outnumbered 10-1 today in work, and insulted because I dared to show support for Romney :rolleyes:

Obama is exactly the same. At least Romney is not mugging it up for the cameras, pretending he gives a shit about the Sandra Dee victims.

GoofyDuck
Nov 5th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Should have made this public :lol:

Novichok
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:02 PM
And further to this.

I was outnumbered 10-1 today in work, and insulted because I dared to show support for Romney :rolleyes:

Obama is exactly the same. At least Romney is not mugging it up for the cameras, pretending he gives a shit about the Sandra Dee victims.

Your last two sentences are contradictory.

delicatecutter
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:02 PM
It is important that Obama wins just for the Supreme Court nominations alone. He also supports gay rights so I will be voting for him even though I am still mad at him for ruining my life by robbing Hillary of the nomination.

ptkten
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:19 PM
I get so annoyed when people say there is no difference. Tell that to the gay soldiers who can now serve in the military, tell it to the 40 million Americans who now have health insurance and don't have to go bankrupt if they get sick, tell it to the woman who now has more opportunity to sue for equal pay, tell it to the children of immigrants who will no longer be deported because of Obama's executive order, tell it to the senior citizens who rely on medicare and don't have the information or resources to shop for it on a private market. These are real, real differences that matter in every day lives. Maybe for the rest of the world there isn't a huge difference between the two parties because who on earth even knows what Romney thinks about foreign policy but on domestic issues there is a world of difference between the two.

And yes, I'm voting for Obama ;)

$uricate
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Your last two sentences are contradictory.

No. They are not.

I am not insulting anyone here, I am merely observing.

Especially not in the manner I was insulted today ;)

And FYI, I don't live in the USA so go and choose whoever the fuck you want.

It has no relevance to me :shrug:

Goodnight.

dybbuk
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:23 PM
And further to this.

I will tell your some differences, that for my particular situation are enough to make me vote for Obama:

A lot of these differences come from Romney's VP Ryan's budget plan he has repeatedly tried to shove through Congress. In this plan he does lovely things like gut Pell Grants (money for university students) and other programs designed to help middle to lower class people. Ryan still believes in this and Romney has supported him too. They would instead ship student loan money over to the military to give the military more funding than they have even requested. So poor kids can't go to school because they can't afford it since Ryan took away their grants and loans, but at least we have more drones to kill civilians in the Middle East! Obama, on the other hand, strongly opposes Ryan's plan and has repeatedly called for military funding to not go up and for the government to help students and the poor.

Romney is against gay marriage (He supports DOMA), against adoption by gay couples (he has flip flopped on this issue), and has a spotty track record on hate crimes. He has been caught on tape describing gay parents as unnatural. Obama supports gay marriage, is against DOMA, and supports Hate Crime bills.

These are just two issues that personally concern me, but I could also go on about his worrying idiocy in regards to China, wanting to brand them a currency manipulator and start a trade war, his expressed support for tax breaks that just CONVENIENTLY only help those wealthy enough to take advantage of them, and his complete unwillingness to actually say how he is going to reduce the deficit (I'm serious here. He has repeatedly refused to spell out his plan even when directly asked to do so. He just says it'll work one he gets in office). But that would be too long of a post.

I am a gay student who depends on grants and loans to go to university. If I lost them because Ryan's plan got through I would most likely have to drop out of university. And you're telling me they're the same and there's no reason for me to support Obama over Romney? Obama is far, far from perfect and not nearly as strong of a leader as I would wish. But to me it's a choice between a crappy leader with a conscious and a crappy leader with none whatsoever who seems more than willing to throw me under the bus since I'm not rich. I'd appreciate it if at least you respect my intelligence (and the intelligence of many of the Obama voters who share my sentiments) to not tell me they're both the same. Too close together? Yes. But there's several important differences to people like me.

legalise#
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:26 PM
If only the results from this poll were the real percentage :o

Novichok
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM
No. They are not.

I am not insulting anyone here, I am merely observing.

Especially not in the manner I was insulted today ;)

And FYI, I don't live in the USA so go and choose whoever the fuck you want.

It has no relevance to me :shrug:

Goodnight.

Yes they are contradictory. You first claim that Obama and Romney are exactly the same. Then you also claim that Romney "is not mugging it up for the cameras". Those claims can't both be true without a contradiction.

Since the USA is the most influential country in existence today, I wouldn't be so sure that it "has no relevance" to you. :shrug:

Goodnight. :kiss:

$uricate
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I will tell your some differences, that for my particular situation are enough to make me vote for Obama:

A lot of these differences come from Romney's VP Ryan's budget plan he has repeatedly tried to shove through Congress. In this plan he does lovely things like gut Pell Grants (money for university students) and other programs designed to help middle to lower class people. Ryan still believes in this and Romney has supported him too. They would instead ship student loan money over to the military to give the military more funding than they have even requested. So poor kids can't go to school because they can't afford it since Ryan took away their grants and loans, but at least we have more drones to kill civilians in the Middle East! Obama, on the other hand, strongly opposes Ryan's plan and has repeatedly called for military funding to not go up and for the government to help students and the poor.

Romney is against gay marriage (He supports DOMA), against adoption by gay couples (he has flip flopped on this issue), and has a spotty track record on hate crimes. He has been caught on tape describing gay parents as unnatural. Obama supports gay marriage, is against DOMA, and supports Hate Crime bills.

These are just two issues that personally concern me, but I could also go on about his worrying idiocy in regards to China, wanting to brand them a currency manipulator and start a trade war, his expressed support for tax breaks that just CONVENIENTLY only help those wealthy enough to take advantage of them, and his complete unwillingness to actually say how he is going to reduce the deficit (I'm serious here. He has repeatedly refused to spell out his plan even when directly asked to do so. He just says it'll work one he gets in office). But that would be too long of a post.

I am a gay student who depends on grants and loans to go to university. If I lost them because Ryan's plan got through I would most likely have to drop out of university. And you're telling me they're the same and there's no reason for me to support Obama over Romney? Obama is far, far from perfect and not nearly as strong of a leader as I would wish. But to me it's a choice between a crappy leader with a conscious and a crappy leader with none whatsoever who seems more than willing to throw me under the bus since I'm not rich. I'd appreciate it if at least you respect my intelligence (and the intelligence of many of the Obama voters who share my sentiments) to not tell me they're both the same. Too close together? Yes. But there's several important differences to people like me.

Where exactly did I disrespect your intelligence?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You have voiced yours in a very clear and convincing manner. I respect that.

Yet you cannot respect anyone else's opinion.

As I said, I don't care who wins, I am not American.

DeucesAreWild
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Romney. I come from a coal family and Obama's Administration with the EPA is trying to destroy the industry. Alternative energy sources are fine. But until they can prove viable on a large scale taking the energy
source we already have is a no go for me.

$uricate
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Yes they are contradictory. You first claim that Obama and Romney are exactly the same. Then you also claim that Romney "is not mugging it up for the cameras". Those claims can't both be true without a contradiction.

Since the USA is the most influential country in existence today, I wouldn't be so sure that it "has no relevance" to you. :shrug:

Goodnight. :kiss:

Show me the post where I said they were exactly the same and this can end now.

USA is only the most influential country for just now. Once your economy is destroyed by bleeding heart presidents it's :wavey:

Novichok
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Show me the post where I said they were exactly the same and this can end now.

USA is only the most influential country for just now. Once your economy is destroyed by bleeding heart presidents it's :wavey:

Here you go:

And further to this.

$uricate
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Here you go:

Oh. Ok :lol:

:oh:

Perhaps I minced my words.

At the end of the day I don't care who wins. I am not American.

Just take your panties out their bunch and vote for Obama.

Kon.
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:46 PM
The fact neither is good enough doesn't mean one cannot be much, much worse than the other.
Hopefully Obama wins tommorrow.

$uricate
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:46 PM
FWI by saying Obama and Romney are exactly the same does not make my my preferance for Romney any less valid ;)

Novichok
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:49 PM
FWI by saying Obama and Romney are exactly the same does not make my my preferance for Romney any less valid ;)

It makes your preference incoherent. If two things are exactly the same then they share all the same properties. If Obama and Romney were exactly the same, then they'd share all the same properties; they'd be the same individual. So there could be no preference between Romney and Obama. There would be only 1 thing and you can't have a preference between a thing and itself.

Martian Jeza
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:53 PM
NONE ! :) Voting doesn't change a thing

charmedRic
Nov 5th, 2012, 09:42 PM
One thing is for sure: I'm so sick of these political ads.

$uricate
Nov 5th, 2012, 09:49 PM
NONE ! :) Voting doesn't change a thing

Holla!

Power to the people.

ampers&
Nov 5th, 2012, 09:53 PM
It makes your preference incoherent. If two things are exactly the same then they share all the same properties. If Obama and Romney were exactly the same, then they'd share all the same properties; they'd be the same individual. So there could be no preference between Romney and Obama. There would be only 1 thing and you can't have a preference between a thing and itself.
:lol: He won't get it.

I'm voting for Obama.

charmedRic
Nov 5th, 2012, 10:22 PM
w00t.

Polls open at 7AM ... I plan on being there right before 7AM.

Singleniacki
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:18 AM
And further to this.

Not gonna lie. It's an awkward moment when you find out someone likes Mitt Romney.

Let's do this Obama.

And from what I understand, there is a big difference. From the both the social and economic sides. I think most of us know the social issues (gay/abortion rights vs. conservative views) but even on the economic side I think Obama and Democrats in general are more correct. I believe government intervention is very necessary in running a stable economy. A public health care system will stimulate GDP growth and will also have numerous beneficial external effects. I think we could finance this through higher taxes (not lower proportional taxes) for the rich. This would be most beneficial to the economy as a whole because it would redistribute income to lower-income people, who will spend a larger proprtion of their income and create more jobs ect.

edificio
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:24 AM
And further to this.

:tape: :haha:

So sorry you have such a poor understanding of the candidates and the issues. :help:

Romney is awful. He's almost a Manchurian candidate for the one percent. Unless you are one of his financial cronies or in the one percent, he could not care any less than he does for you. He tells you this, but people refuse to hear. He thinks going to the hospital emergency room is health care/health insurance and not simply emergency care. He has said, Americans get the education they can afford. So if you come from a poor to middling income family, tough luck about going to a decent college with government financial assistance. Get a loan from your parents or from one of those respectable banks. :lol: His wife seems to think all public schools should be scrapped, even though she and her family have never even gone to public schools. He was a one-term governor of Massachusetts. They hate him now.

Why people vote against their own self-interest, I'll never understand. Anyway, if you are one of the financial elite, go to it, vote for Romney. He is for you.

As for my votes, we had quite a lot of important initiatives and referendums, as usual. It was a task going through all the information to make an informed decision, but I did it a week ago and mailed it in. We have vote by mail. It is lovely. You can be at home and go through the issues at the computer as you vote.

edificio
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:31 AM

I hear you.

I am so over these ads, especially the ones filled with obvious lies and the others that present a loving family just like yours. :fiery:

However, I'm not sure who will win. I even think my state might pick a Republican governor. 'twill be odd.

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:43 AM
All i know is that i did my part and early voted for my man Obama down here in Texas. I have been pleased with his work over the past few years. I absolutely LOVE this man, his wife and his family and their love they have for this country. I'll be praying for him tommorow ....OBAMA 2012 baby!!!!

delicatecutter
Nov 6th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Are US political posts allowed outside the US political thread http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=465185

If so, then I will post political threads

Please don't post in general.

Mynarco
Nov 6th, 2012, 01:46 AM
I cannot imagine the havoc wrought by Romney should he be elected

mykarma
Nov 6th, 2012, 02:37 AM
And further to this.

If you think they're the same you really haven't done any research.

Keadz
Nov 6th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Why does the U.S vote on Tuesday? Surely that would limit the turnout.

delicatecutter
Nov 6th, 2012, 03:17 AM

It's in the Constitution or something. :hysteric:

King Halep
Nov 6th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Obama has defects but Romney would be worse than George W. Bush as a president, I mean, he's already shown that he's a complete moron. But the worst part of it it's that he's intelligent for his own interests

Its mormon :hysteric:

King Halep
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:16 AM
It is important that Obama wins just for the Supreme Court nominations alone. He also supports gay rights so I will be voting for him even though I am still mad at him for ruining my life by robbing Hillary of the nomination.

Hillary would have lost the election because USA hates her that much, then the govt would have ruined your life for another four years

delicatecutter
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Hillary would have lost the election because USA hates her that much, then the govt would have ruined your life for another four years

Doubtful. I think Hillary would have beaten McCain.

King Halep
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I get so annoyed when people say there is no difference. Tell that to the gay soldiers who can now serve in the military, tell it to the 40 million Americans who now have health insurance and don't have to go bankrupt if they get sick, tell it to the woman who now has more opportunity to sue for equal pay, tell it to the children of immigrants who will no longer be deported because of Obama's executive order, tell it to the senior citizens who rely on medicare and don't have the information or resources to shop for it on a private market. These are real, real differences that matter in every day lives. Maybe for the rest of the world there isn't a huge difference between the two parties because who on earth even knows what Romney thinks about foreign policy but on domestic issues there is a world of difference between the two.

And yes, I'm voting for Obama ;)

and did you read about what a huge battle he has even within his own party to get some of these policies out. healthcare and gay soldiers in the military have been twenty years in the making, they are not new policies

Novichok
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:27 AM
and did you read about what a huge battle he has even within his own party to get some of these policies out. healthcare and gay soldiers in the military have been twenty years in the making, they are not new policies

So what? If a Republican were President, DADT wouldn't have been repealed and the healthcare reform bill wouldn't have become law.

Yoncé
Nov 6th, 2012, 05:25 AM
Hillary!

This. Hillary >>>> anything in American politics right now.

Romney would be a catastrophic disaster and I hope that Obama can win tomorrow.

Bayo
Nov 6th, 2012, 05:59 AM

I'm not sure why, but it's tradition to vote on the first Tuesday of November. But you can vote early, either in person or via absentee ballot. I voted a month ago.

::

Also, I really am not here for the false equivalency, "both sides are the same" crowd. Save that for the Ron Paul-NWO-conspiracy theorist wackadoos. There are huge differences between these candidates.

$uricate
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:35 AM
If you think they're the same you really haven't done any research.

No I haven't really.

I don't live in USA, so I don't really care.

The whole world doesn't follow Vietnam's elections for instance.

I just threw the Romney vote in there to rile the delicate posters on this forum ;)

I would not vote for either, and especially not someone who is a moron and who also denounces gay marriage :o

$uricate
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:36 AM

Someone actually told me yesterday that Obama created Obamacare ALL BY HIMSELF :hysteric:

Halardfan
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:55 AM
Obama certainly my choice but I'm less confident than some that he will win.

Remix13
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:19 AM
90-10 for Obama on TF, it's not a "swing state" forum :lol:

This score is in fact quite similar to the surveys in Europe where Obama is beyond popular.

I don't know the US enough to make a clear choice between these two candidates concerning internal policy (I just made a political test yesterday, and it was very close between them, 64% agree with Obama and 61% with Romney...) but maybe Obama is less frightening concerning foreign policy, the Bush era doesn't play in favor of Republicans...

Williamsser
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:26 AM
90-10 for Obama on TF, it's not a "swing state" forum :lol:

This score is in fact quite similar to the surveys in Europe where Obama is beyond popular.

I don't know the US enough to make a clear choice between these two candidates concerning internal policy (I just made a political test yesterday, and it was very close between them, 64% agree with Obama and 61% with Romney...) but maybe Obama is less frightening concerning foreign policy, the Bush era doesn't play in favor of Republicans...

I agree with Obama on rejecting US bailout of EU.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/nov/28/no-us-bailout-europe/

Obama: No U.S. bailout for Europe

The White House said Monday that U.S. taxpayers should not bear the burden of helping stabilize Europe’s economy, even as President Obama was hosting European Union leaders for a summit amid deepening concerns about the future of the euro.

With the EU currency in a particularly perilous state as experts fret it could collapse in a matter of days, Mr. Obama said the U.S. “stands ready to do our part to help resolve this issue.”

“This is of huge importance to our own economy,” Mr. Obama said after the summit. “If Europe is contracting or if Europe is having difficulties, then it’s much more difficult for us to create good jobs here at home because we send so many of our products and services to Europe."

Sam L
Nov 6th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Who's winning? Update?

MarkNL
Nov 6th, 2012, 11:08 AM
The polls aren't open yet, ever heard of time difference? :rolleyes:

ptkten
Nov 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
7pm EST is the first time you'll start getting information about results. Polling shows that Obama has a slight advantage but I'm still extremely nervous. Republicans are incredibly motivated by their hatred of Obama. They literally think he's the anti-christ so I'm worried that Republican turnout will be much higher than Obama's voters. Anyway, fingers crossed for an Obama victory.

Elwin.
Nov 6th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Romney winning this would be a disaster

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Obama :cheer:

CrossCourt~Rally
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:25 PM
You just knew the race wouldn't be close on TF :lol: :p

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
You just knew the race wouldn't be close on TF :lol: :p

Those darn gays.

""Did you know a flock of them triggered Hurricane Sandy?!"" #shitevangelicalmoronssaid

Super Dave
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:42 PM
http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairballs/i_voted_9.jpg

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 01:12 PM
now now :eek::lol:

Vartan
Nov 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Voted for Obama this morning.

Wiggly
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:08 PM
We can expect a TV station to declare a winner at what time? Anyone knows?

dybbuk
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:14 PM

Late tonight (think 9+ hours). Depending on how close it is it could be after midnight or longer. The US is a big ass country, this stuff takes time. Especially when there's 1%< differences in some states.

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Depends on how fast Florida and Virginia count their ballots. Give those two to Obama and they'll call the election for him if he's ahead in Ohio. If those first two are split or even leaning Romney ... if Ohio goes Obama early, you could expect it being called around 11:15PM to 11:30PM EST.

Morning Morgan
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Voted for Romney :angel:

Sammo
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Doubtful. I think Hillary would have beaten McCain.

By miles

delicatecutter
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Just voted. Now it's time to hunker down and hope for the best.

Srodgers
Nov 6th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Please win Obama :sobbing:

I need financial aid to help pay for college :p

Olórin
Nov 6th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Just voted. Now it's time to hunker down and hope for the best.

I was sure you were a British poster :lol: As per my post in the Xtina thread.

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Please win Obama :sobbing:

I need financial aid to help pay for college :p

:lol:

i'll be paying for mine until i'm 6 feet under. :help:

dybbuk
Nov 6th, 2012, 05:57 PM

YAY FOR 30K+ A YEAR IN OUT-OF-STATE TUITION. Who really needs grants for pocket change like that?!

saint2
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Well, its not like Romney forced you guys to go to college :shrug:

dybbuk
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Oh, yes. What a great idea. I could have worked at a low-paying, low-skill job my entire life because who really needs an education anyways, right?

saint2
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Oh, yes. What a great idea. I could have worked at a low-paying, low-skill job my entire life because who really needs an education anyways, right?

Really its how it works in USA ? Better education= better paid job ?

Now, seriously- If your country values "education" over actual skill, then you have a big problem, and its regardless who will be president...Europe already went through this shit...

King Halep
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:21 PM
here we go

ptkten
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Really its how it works in USA ? Better education= better paid job ?

Now, seriously- If your country values "education" over actual skill, then you have a big problem, and its regardless who will be president...Europe already went through this shit...

Yeah, education almost directly correlates to higher income. There are obviously some small exceptions. Also, the unemployment rate for non-college educated people is significantly higher than for those who are college educated.

Milito22
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Osama

saint2
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Yeah, education almost directly correlates to higher income. There are obviously some small exceptions. Also, the unemployment rate for non-college educated people is significantly higher than for those who are college educated.

Then I feel sorry for your country...And its no irony. 5 years of professional experience beats 5 years in college hands down- unless you want to be lawyer, doctor, or priest...

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Then I feel sorry for your country...And its no irony. 5 years of professional experience beats 5 years in college hands down- unless you want to be lawyer, doctor, or priest...

The degree opens doors (many more) than going into the workforce before having professional experience. If you look at the makeup of the US workforce you'll find that as many as 7 in 10 do not "work" in the area of the "major" but having that post-HS graduation opened up the doors that allowed them to gain that professional experience.

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:29 PM
YAY FOR 30K+ A YEAR IN OUT-OF-STATE TUITION. Who really needs grants for pocket change like that?!

hahaha ouchies.

I'm still under 60K for 5 years of undergrad and 2 of gradschool.

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Well, its not like Romney forced you guys to go to college :shrug:

no one forced me, i made a choice.

Kipling
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:36 PM

17 years and counting, paying mine back, and it seems like I have hardly even made a dent in it. It's that damned interest that's a killer. By the time I re=pay it all, I will probably have paid $55-60K in interest alone.

I thought my tuition was high then, I can't imagine what it would be like now for a kid to finance his own way through a good school.

I understand and empathize with those of you who vote Obama for sociopolitical reasons, and I don't begrudge anyone the right to live as they do or make the choices they do, but I vote my wallet, and no one can convince me that I or anyone in my sphere is remotely better off now than four years ago. Or even anywhere close to being as well off. The past four years has been an economic disaster, and there is nothing suggesting Obama or his people have an answer. I love the bullshit rhetoric though--it's creative. "640,000 new jobs" is a nicer way of saying "the unemployment rate actually went up again".

It's time for a change.

Kipling
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Yeah, education almost directly correlates to higher income.

These days, the fastest path is by being a criminal....

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:46 PM
17 years and counting, paying mine back, and it seems like I have hardly even made a dent in it. It's that damned interest that's a killer. By the time I re=pay it all, I will probably have paid $55-60K in interest alone.

I thought my tuition was high then, I can't imagine what it would be like now for a kid to finance his own way through a good school.

For people who are under a lot of debt, having a kid in these times would be such a financial no-no both short and long term. :sad::sad::sad::sad:

Talula
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Well America, my take of your choice is:

Kettle or Pot

This stool or that stool

Devil or Deep Blue Sea

Crap or shit

2 wrongs that will get it wrong

Good luck. By the way, it's just the same in Europe, so Heaven help us all!

Talula
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM
I suddenly wondered, how many people, as they look down the barrell at their voting forms, will vote on the spur of the moment on the basis of which one they would f*ck/have sex with/marry?

If forced on pain of death, which one would you?

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:50 PM

Kettle or Pot

This stool or that stool

Devil or Deep Blue Sea

Crap or shit

:sad: Sad. But True. :lol:

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:55 PM
I suddenly wondered, how many people, as they look down the barrell at their voting forms, will vote on the spur of the moment on the basis of which one they would f*ck/have sex with/marry?

If forced on pain of death, which one would you?

...it's a two party system, so I'd rather die twice than f*ck or marry either.

...but to play along, I'd f*ck Romney and marry Obama. I'd spread the naughty video so that Romney for sure wouldn't win among his radical GOP base.

Super Dave
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I'm going to fill a recycle bin tomorrow with all of the election-based mail I've received. Lately it's been at least 4-5 pieces a day. I'm so glad this is over.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Wow I expected a closer poll! As a group this tennis community is NEVER united so it's surprising that the poll results are skewed so heavily toward Obama. We finally have something we can ll agree on- this is unheard of here!!!

Srodgers
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:12 PM
charmedRic you live in Pittsburgh? :eek:

I go to school here :dance:

King Halep
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Romney. I come from a coal family and Obama's Administration with the EPA is trying to destroy the industry. Alternative energy sources are fine. But until they can prove viable on a large scale taking the energy
source we already have is a no go for me.

No need to be surprised. Obama has always had a huge lead in foreign polls. Bush destroyed America's foreign standing.

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:24 PM
No need to be surprised. Obama has always had a huge lead in foreign polls. Bush destroyed America's foreign standing.

There's an understatement, lol.

charmedRic
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:25 PM
charmedRic you live in Pittsburgh? :eek:

I go to school here :dance:

Sweet! I've been in Pittsburgh since 2000 (minus 5 years spent at Penn State) I currently work downtown. :wavey::wavey::wavey:

Srodgers
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Sweet! I've been in Pittsburgh since 2000 (minus 5 years spent at Penn State) I currently work downtown. :wavey::wavey::wavey:

I go to Duquesne :p You can see why I need financial aid :sobbing:

Archaeo
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:37 PM

I'm in Pittsburgh too! Or at least in the suburbs. I'm about a half-hour east of the city.

I would vote if I could (I turn 18 in April :sad:), but it looks like PA's almost definitely going to Obama anyway, so my vote probably isn't needed. ;)

KournikovaFan91
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:54 PM

Kettle or Pot

This stool or that stool

Devil or Deep Blue Sea

Crap or shit

Preach :bowdown:

I'd probably vote Rosanne Barr if she was on my ballot. :shrug:

Inger67
Nov 6th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Just voted for Obama here in Michigan :cheer:

kwilliams
Nov 6th, 2012, 10:31 PM
hahaha ouchies.

I'm still under 60K for 5 years of undergrad and 2 of gradschool.

This sickens me. I feel so bad for you. Universities are not businesses. Education should not cost this much. How is an underprivileged person supposed to afford this!? Please, nobody mentions scholarships to me.

I went to college for a little over four years, came out with a BA and an MA from one of the best universities in Ireland and paid less than 5,700 euros!! Books and study materials were additional though. I'm sure I paid hundreds for books over the years but I didn't have to buy all of those books...and very, very few of them were second hand.

Seriously, I really hope Obama tries to tackle this if he gets reelected. Healthcare for all. Education for all. Equality for all. Ireland's finances are in tatters but I don't often hear people complaining about our high tax rates or about people receiving dole, cheap education or free healthcare (though they do complain about how money for healthcare is mismanaged)

Anyway, it would be a landslide for Obama if he was up against someone like Romney in virtually any country in Europe! I saw a study the other day (apparently 570,000 people were polled in quite a few countries around the globe) and 86% of Irish people would vote for Obama. I was actually quite shocked that 14% of people here would vote for Romney. I really can't comprehend that. I don't think I know I single person who prefers Romney to Obama.

I'm really hoping we don't have another 2000, "huh? what? for real...he was elected?" moment or a 2004, "stfu, you're lying!! You can't be serious! This is some kind of joke! Wtf were people possibly thinking reelecting that moron!?" moment.

dybbuk
Nov 6th, 2012, 10:36 PM
This sickens me. I feel so bad for you. Universities are not businesses. Education should not cost this much. How is an underprivileged person supposed to afford this!? Please, nobody mentions scholarships to me.

I went to college for a little over four years, came out with a BA and an MA from one of the best universities in Ireland and paid less than 5,700 euros!! Books and study materials were additional though. I'm sure I paid hundreds for books over the years but I didn't have to buy all of those books...and very, very few of them were second hand.

Seriously, I really hope Obama tries to tackle this if he gets reelected. Healthcare for all. Education for all. Equality for all. Ireland's finances are in tatters but I don't often hear people complaining about our high tax rates or about people receiving dole, cheap education or free healthcare (though they do complain about how money for healthcare is mismanaged)

Anyway, it would be a landslide for Obama if he was up against someone like Romney in virtually any country in Europe! I saw a study the other day (apparently 570,000 people were polled in quite a few countries around the globe) and 86% of Irish people would vote for Obama. I was actually quite shocked that 14% of people here would vote for Romney. I really can't comprehend that. I don't think I know I single person who prefers Romney to Obama.

Qurl, some schools easily get over 40k a YEAR. The most expensive schools (like NYU for instance) can get over 50k approaching 60k for one year of school. So that would be--what?-- 240k+ for a BA? And most people don't afford them, they instead get back breaking loans that they'll never be able to pay off. And to top it off tuitions have only been rising across the country. Education costs are spiraling out of control and most politicians don't even care.

kwilliams
Nov 6th, 2012, 10:52 PM
:( My bf wants to do a law degree in the states. I'm like, let's get married and you can do it in Ireland! Oh, well, it wasn't his dream to practice law in Ireland. I seriously don't think I could raise kids in America. It must cost an absolute fortune just to educate them and keep them healthy! I'd rather pay more in taxes!

Seriously, though, anyone having to pay off college debts has my deepest sympathies. I never had a penny to pay off. Some of my friends were even given government grants to go to college. One was from a single parent home, another's parents were out of work when she started college (they weren't out of work for that long though!)They didn't have to worry about qualifying for this scholarship or that one. They just had to worry about whether they qualified for the government grant or not...which is kind of a simple and straightforward thing, not involving any competition.

Anyway, I could spend my midterms and summers taking cheap trips around Europe because I didn't have any debts to worry about. I really enjoyed college and pretty much lived the life! It seemed that in many cases only the super-wealthy can do this in America.

Education needs to be made affordable for everyone.

LeRoy.
Nov 6th, 2012, 10:54 PM
All my student loans are paid for and I got a PhD. :angel:

Looking at the results of this poll, for once, I am proud of TF and its members. :bigclap:

King Halep
Nov 6th, 2012, 11:09 PM
:( My bf wants to do a law degree in the states. I'm like, let's get married and you can do it in Ireland! Oh, well, it wasn't his dream to practice law in Ireland. I seriously don't think I could raise kids in America. It must cost an absolute fortune just to educate them and keep them healthy! I'd rather pay more in taxes!

Seriously, though, anyone having to pay off college debts has my deepest sympathies. I never had a penny to pay off. Some of my friends were even given government grants to go to college. One was from a single parent home, another's parents were out of work when she started college (they weren't out of work for that long though!)They didn't have to worry about qualifying for this scholarship or that one. They just had to worry about whether they qualified for the government grant or not...which is kind of a simple and straightforward thing, not involving any competition.

Anyway, I could spend my midterms and summers taking cheap trips around Europe because I didn't have any debts to worry about. I really enjoyed college and pretty much lived the life! It seemed that in many cases only the super-wealthy can do this in America.

Education needs to be made affordable for everyone.

In USA such a system would be called communist oppression

kwilliams
Nov 6th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I hate it when Obama gets called a dirty socialist just because he gives a crap about people getting healthcare!!

tennis-insomniac
Nov 6th, 2012, 11:27 PM
Please Obama WIN! Although I think they are all the same, some issues such as gay-marriage that makes Obama more agreeable. Anyway, he's still better than Romney and smarter too if I'd say so.

tenn_ace
Nov 6th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed and in my rectum that Barack wins :bounce:

Whitehead's Boy
Nov 6th, 2012, 11:55 PM
Tuition fees in the US are ridiculous, but if people are stupid enough to pay ridiculous amount of money to get a degree and/or get a student loan they'll never be able to fully pay, bottom line it's their problem. :shrug: There are tons of alternate options out there, people just need to do their homework and research. There are international reputable online schools offering affordable degrees, or Americans can just study abroad. There are countries where you can basically get a degree for free, like Taiwan. Even Harvard Extension School degrees are not that expensive, considering you can get one and work at the same time. People who get ridiculous school loans are dumb as fuck.

shap_half
Nov 7th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Is there a live link to CNN or something? I don't own a TV

Novichok
Nov 7th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Is there a live link to CNN or something? I don't own a TV

http://www.justin.tv/2ndruntv_cnn#/w/4114662480/26 - CNN

http://www.justin.tv/collusion01#/w/4127297040/4 - MSNBC

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 7th, 2012, 12:17 AM
I live in London but grew up in NYC, my sister still lives in NY state with her husband and kids. Both me and her and her family are all passionately willing Barack to win this match. It really is important. Romney strikes me as totally vacuous and I wouldn't trust anything he said.

William Hill have Barack Obama at 1/12 to win in live betting. Still nervous but that price is quite reassuring. :)

KournikovaFan91
Nov 7th, 2012, 12:24 AM
Yeah, I hate it when Obama gets called a dirty socialist just because he gives a crap about people getting healthcare!!

Although he cares more about keeping in with Wall St. and enforcing the drug "war" not quite as much as Romney but essentially this election is 6 of 1.

Its like picking who is the most talented Kardashian sister :shrug:

charmedRic
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:14 AM
All my student loans are paid for and I got a PhD. :angel:

Looking at the results of this poll, for once, I am proud of TF and its members. :bigclap:

I'm hoping to enter a PhD program in the Fall of 2014.

dybbuk
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Sorry to KournikovaFan and Suricate, but I just think it's so easy for you to see no difference when you don't live here and aren't directly influenced by most of this. :shrug: You all don't have to worry that Romney and Ryan support gutting student loans and giving more and more tax breaks to the rich, or trying to keep gay marriage illegal. So of course none of this matters as much to you and you can't see much of a difference. I just think at a time like this you should concede to the people who actually live here that there is a difference, even if it's not as big as we might like.

Shvedbarilescu
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:37 AM
If Obama gets Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Mexico and Nevada that will be enough to win. He won't even need Miami, North Carolina or Virginia. :)

delicatecutter
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:40 AM
There's a significant difference, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered to vote.

PhilePhile
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:40 AM
NPR live coverage:

http://election2012.npr.org/

KournikovaFan91
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:50 AM
Sorry to KournikovaFan and Suricate, but I just think it's so easy for you to see no difference when you don't live here and aren't directly influenced by most of this. :shrug: You all don't have to worry that Romney and Ryan support gutting student loans and giving more and more tax breaks to the rich, or trying to keep gay marriage illegal. So of course none of this matters as much to you and you can't see much of a difference. I just think at a time like this you should concede to the people who actually live here that there is a difference, even if it's not as big as we might like.

Having gotten a lot of news from non mainstream sources in the US it's clear that obviously Obama is better than Romney but Obama has been tougher on the drug war and more lenient towards Wall St. than Bush or any other president for that matter was.

In 4 years you will still be in a sucky situation when it comes to tuition, healthcare and big business buying government. To be honest I dunno what anyone is supposed to do in the world these days to change it, the two big parties, the media and big business are one massive cartel I don't see how in any Western country the political landscape can become representative.

I'm a 4th year political science major and frankly in year 1 I was optimistic about what was ahead, now I don't believe in anything anymore. Quite sad really but I hate the current system but what can be done, I don't even have a government that is accountable anymore and most of the western world is the same. Sure the maverick leaders of South America can be criticised but I really admire them for succeeding in being anti establishment in modern times. I even hate lectures nowadays cause I just see all this political science I'm studying as a pile of shit nowadays.

I dunno maybe it's my fault but I just don't believe in anything anymore I used to have such hope that people could change the world but I'm 21 and a syndical bastard. It's kinda pathetic.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Martian Jeza
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Obama and Romney ALL are banksters funded candidate sponsored also by corporations, ... They don't care about you at all : They only care about you when it's about going to get elected ! They ain't there the help you to get a better life but well screwing you up big time... But people remain asleep with the fake left-right paradigm : there's no left, there's no right : they all are fake opposition : behind close doors : they buddy up and take some drinks... Did really after so many decades voting for politicians change something in your life ? Be real... Your living conditions can't stop decreasing. You have less and less rights ! You have to obey. Democrats, Republican : it's white paper or paper white...

McPie
Nov 7th, 2012, 03:45 AM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/4753/andern20121005low.jpg

Milito22
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Stop the Cuban embargo, 50 years of restrictions!!
get out of Afghanistan, Iraq and Guantanamo!!!

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/203727-obama-promise-to-close-prison-at-guantanamo-still-unfulfilled

Volcana
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:56 AM
It's mathematically possible that Obama will win Electoral College by 100 votes, and Romney will win popular vote.

As an Obama supporter, I say we need to do away with Electoral College. It's an anachronism form the days when the average citizen wasn't considered intelligent or informed enough to be trusted to decide a national election.

Then again, given Citizen's United, the Founders may have been uncannily precient.

PhilePhile
Nov 7th, 2012, 06:04 AM
It's mathematically possible that Obama will win Electoral College by 100 votes, and Romney will win popular vote.

As an Obama supporter, I say we need to do away with Electoral College. It's an anachronism form the days when the average citizen wasn't considered intelligent or informed enough to be trusted to decide a national election.

Then again, given Citizen's United, the Founders may have been uncannily precient.

It's U.S.A. not People's U.S.A.

Sam L
Nov 7th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Congrats Americans. I'm so happy for you! Four more years! :bounce:

Beat
Nov 7th, 2012, 08:03 AM
90% of TF approve! :yeah: :bigclap:

King Halep
Nov 7th, 2012, 08:16 AM

I understand and empathize with those of you who vote Obama for sociopolitical reasons, and I don't begrudge anyone the right to live as they do or make the choices they do, but I vote my wallet, and no one can convince me that I or anyone in my sphere is remotely better off now than four years ago. Or even anywhere close to being as well off. The past four years has been an economic disaster, and there is nothing suggesting Obama or his people have an answer. I love the bullshit rhetoric though--it's creative. "640,000 new jobs" is a nicer way of saying "the unemployment rate actually went up again".

It's time for a change.

What you have been seeing for last two years since voters changed their minds at the midterm election, is one party holding the economy to ransom to prove their point. Trying to force a balanced budget while increasing military spending and refusing to raise taxes is voodoo economics.

ElusiveChanteuse
Nov 7th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Obama :cheer:

StoneRose
Nov 7th, 2012, 11:47 AM
:cheer::cheer::cheer:.

charmedRic
Nov 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM

The average citizen ISNT smart enough.

Unfortunetaly with all these SuperPACs and billions spent in brainwashing mediums ... idk ... I'll keep the college around for now.

Singleniacki
Nov 7th, 2012, 12:31 PM
KAMAN!

:cheer:

Raiden
Nov 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Did you guys see Malia Obama?

Damn, she's growing so fast that she's already reached the height of her parents :eek:

http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr02/2012/11/7/2/enhanced-buzz-wide-17825-1352273744-2.jpg

Four years ago:
https://thepreppyprincess.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/obamafamily1104xx.jpg

Patrick345
Nov 7th, 2012, 12:44 PM
What makes me sick is the amount of money these parties spend on their campaigns, millions and millions of dollars from corporations and private citizens that claim to get the life sucked out of them by a socialist America that can´t compete with China and blah blah. Then I hear that one party in a late push for Pennsylvania spent 90 million dollars alone. Yeah there really is no way they could raise taxes to a level that would lift the country´s health care standards above those of a 3rd world country. :rolleyes:

saint2
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Well, my fave lost, but... good luck for President Obama. He'll need A LOT of it :o Wish him well, BC WEll Being of America= well being of The World :hatoff:

BTW- at my workplace out of 5 people, 5 were for Romney. In my brother's college, all people, except for my brother, were for Obama...Just sayin...irrelevant mark.

Sammo
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
http://sphotos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249231_457786937620717_2104790238_n.jpg

KournikovaFan91
Nov 7th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Yay big bird is safe. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App (http://www.verticalsports.com/mobile)

Adrian.
Nov 7th, 2012, 02:38 PM
wait wait, so basically the whole world wanted Obama to stay, but the Americans were one step away from voting for Romney to get president? :spit:

sick country :haha:

Mynarco
Nov 7th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Wow.4 years after and the girls are ladies now. How old are they now exactly?

delicatecutter
Nov 7th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Wow.4 years after and the girls are ladies now. How old are they now exactly?

14 and 11

Dominic
Nov 7th, 2012, 03:35 PM
What kind of person votes for Romney!? I seriously am intrigued.. Anybody voted for him here?

Adrian.
Nov 7th, 2012, 03:46 PM
What kind of person votes for Romney!? I seriously am intrigued.. Anybody voted for him here?

this, Romney won in a lot of states with more than 60% of votes :spit::help::silly:

charmedRic
Nov 7th, 2012, 03:59 PM

The main group IMO would be those incapable of keeping THEIR God outside of OUR Government. Those who seek to define marriage as a man & woman into the Constitution. Those who in their xenophobia are incapable of keeping our borders open for those who want to pursue (without malice) the American dream. Those who do not value higher education. Those who see food stamps and other welfare programs as burdens. And those who believe that Middle Class is 250K a year and up.

delicatecutter
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Don't forget people who think pregnancy from rape is a gift from God.

Vartan
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:05 PM
The main group IMO would be those incapable of keeping THEIR God outside of OUR Government. Those who seek to define marriage as a man & woman into the Constitution. Those who in their xenophobia are incapable of keeping our borders open for those who want to pursue (without malice) the American dream. Those who do not value higher education. Those who see food stamps and other welfare programs as burdens. And those who believe that Middle Class is 250K a year and up.

Ironically most of the Republican voters are poor.

Pump-it-UP
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:15 PM

People like the woman at 0:54, 4:05, 4:24.
nY0M7IdNl7U

Break My Rapture
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:28 PM
wait wait, so basically the whole world wanted Obama to stay, but the Americans were one step away from voting for Romney to get president? :spit:

sick country :haha:
The whole world is eating up Obama's hype just like 4 years ago. :lol: They probably don't have a clue about what he's done and hasn't done in the States during his first term. (I wanted him to win BTW.)

Dominic
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:33 PM

I kind of get that but I don't think I ever met ppl like that in my life, like I've never heard someone in my very vast entourage say they were for Romnney, and that's out of hundreds of ppl... Anyway I guess I'm a bit naive.

Patrick345
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Won´t get much better in four years for the Republicans unless Hillary distances herself from Bill like Al Gore did. I know she won´t pick Bill as her VP, but it would be hilarious to see a debate between VP candidates Bill Clinton and Paul Ryan, Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin. :lol:

charmedRic
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:38 PM

Yes that is one irony I'll never get.

the biggest thing that bugs me about politics in the US is the sheer laziness of the masses. ok so, immigrants are bad ... boooo immigrants, neat. but how many of them xenophobic a-holes are in line to apply to work as a strawberry picker, a hotel maid, a janitor, a laundromat attendant, etc??? The GOP's campaign to close the borders and kill higher education grants is one of the most classiness catch-22 loops I have seen humans argue themselves into.

they blame democrats for the downfall of our economy and our children ... but really it is their efforts to effectively cripple our minds academically that have sunk us into this cycle to begin with. :help:

charmedRic
Nov 7th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I kind of get that but I don't think I ever met ppl like that in my life, like I've never heard someone in my very vast entourage say they were for Romnney, and that's out of hundreds of ppl... Anyway I guess I'm a bit naive.

A lot of the people who truly feel the way described in my post hide behind political charm and political correctness, along the lines of the southern expression "bless your heart" which really stands for "you're a fucking idiot".

wild.river
Nov 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM

my close friends were split about 50/50 between romney and obama. the romney supporters aren't the ogres this forum makes them out to be. some reasons normal, nice people voted for romney:
- unemployed over the last few months
- have loved ones in the military
- feel strongly against abortion
- dislike high taxes
- disagree with immigration policy
- want lax regulation for wall street
- hate unions
etc etc
anyway, over 50 million people...48% of voters picked romney. it's crazy to think they're all brainwashed, xenophobic idiots.

Williamsser
Nov 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM
ok so, immigrants are bad ... boooo immigrants, neat.

Actually Republicans are more pro-immigration than Democrats. Immigrants provide cheap labor for big business, which are favored by Republicans. In fact, Obama is on pace to have deported more illegal immigrants than any Republican president. And, it was the Democrat senators who rejected the Dream Act in 2010.

Morning Morgan
Nov 7th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Actually Republicans are more pro-immigration than Democrats. Immigrants provide cheap labor for big business, which are favored by Republicans. In fact, Obama is on pace to have deported more illegal immigrants than any Republican president. And, it was the Democrat senators who rejected the Dream Act in 2010.

This is the sort of shameless utter lying that charactetizes Republican politics today. You guys really will stoop that low as to lie just to get ahead politically isn't it?

Williamsser
Nov 7th, 2012, 05:55 PM
This is the sort of shameless utter lying that charactetizes Republican politics today. You guys really will stoop that low as to lie just to get ahead politically isn't it?

What lie? Obama reduced H1B visas, while Bush increased H1B visas more than any President. Republicans have always favored legal immigration, not illegal immigration.

Novichok
Nov 7th, 2012, 05:55 PM

Didn't you vote for Romney? :lol:

charmedRic
Nov 7th, 2012, 06:28 PM
:facepalm:

Olórin
Nov 7th, 2012, 06:53 PM
my close friends were split about 50/50 between romney and obama. the romney supporters aren't the ogres this forum makes them out to be. some reasons normal, nice people voted for romney:
- unemployed over the last few months (2)
- have loved ones in the military (1)
- feel strongly against abortion
- dislike high taxes
- disagree with immigration policy
- want lax regulation for wall street (3)
- hate unions (4)
etc etc
anyway, over 50 million people...48% of voters picked romney. it's crazy to think they're all brainwashed, xenophobic idiots.

Collectively speaking, they are certainly not that intelligent if they don't remember
1) who started both wars and who would do exactly the same thing again,

2) think that any President's administration can actually control the country's economy to that extent. Macroeconomic case study has showed time and again in the 20th and 21st centuries that the reactions to economic crises often compound them. No-one actually knows what to do. It's laughable when naive people call the President a CEO (enter saviour Romney) as if managing even even the biggest company in the world is comparable to managing an entire economic system for hundreds of millions of people.

(3) And want this while expecting (2). Never mind that under-regulated wall street activity caused the recession which cost them their jobs etc.

(4) and then turn around and hate unions whose primary purpose is to protect jobs.
------
It's truly a laughable situation where you have so many millions of people voting for a man because basically entirely because of supposedly aligned ideologies - while mistaking their own reasons for voting as substantive/factual - all while the said man during the course of a world tour and a series of Presidential debates showed himself to have anything but substance. Truly laughable. Nice runner's up speech though.

kwilliams
Nov 7th, 2012, 09:17 PM
The rest of the world breathed a collective sigh of relief today. Thank you, America, thank you!!

Londoner
Nov 7th, 2012, 09:17 PM

My thoughts too. I just couldn't work it out.

Anyway, thank you America, a World with Romney as the most powerful man in it was a terrifying prospective.

miffedmax
Nov 7th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Collectively speaking, they are certainly not that intelligent if they don't remember
1) who started both wars and who would do exactly the same thing again,

2) think that any President's administration can actually control the country's economy to that extent. Macroeconomic case study has showed time and again in the 20th and 21st centuries that the reactions to economic crises often compound them. No-one actually knows what to do. It's laughable when naive people call the President a CEO (enter saviour Romney) as if managing even even the biggest company in the world is comparable to managing an entire economic system for hundreds of millions of people.

(3) And want this while expecting (2). Never mind that under-regulated wall street activity caused the recession which cost them their jobs etc.

(4) and then turn around and hate unions whose primary purpose is to protect jobs.
------
It's truly a laughable situation where you have so many millions of people voting for a man because basically entirely because of supposedly aligned ideologies - while mistaking their own reasons for voting as substantive/factual - all while the said man during the course of a world tour and a series of Presidential debates showed himself to have anything but substance. Truly laughable. Nice runner's up speech though.

This.

It's ironic to me that the one area where a president has the most control--foreign policy--is the one area most Americans pay the least attention to.

The world economy is essentially a mixed one, with the free market predominating (I'm quite in favor of this, btw). As long as that's true, no single government or person and control any national economy, because even if you have complete control over yours, you can't control everybody else's--major reasons the USSR is no longer with us and countries like China and Vietnam have had to blend their economies to survive and compete.

PhilePhile
Nov 7th, 2012, 10:16 PM
It looked like the majority of "white" American women kicked the GOP in the balls :lol:.

Source: Slate (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/scocca/2012/11/mitt_romney_white_voters_the_gop_candidate_s_race_ based_monochromatic_campaign.html)
http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/news_and_politics/scocca/2012/11/121107_POL_DemographicsOfVoters_Chart.jpg

wta_zuperfann
Nov 8th, 2012, 12:23 AM
Obama wins - so does America and so does the rest of the world.

Williamsser
Nov 8th, 2012, 02:32 AM

Keep in mind that cost of living is much lower in red states. Therefore, poor by federal standards is actually middle class in red states. $200,000 will buy a large house in South, while in the Northeast, it will buy only a small apartment.

Williamsser
Nov 8th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Obama wins - so does America and so does the rest of the world.

Yes, foreign countries want financial aid from US taxpayers, so of course they want Obama to win.

Singleniacki
Nov 8th, 2012, 03:04 AM
People like the woman at 0:54, 4:05, 4:24.
nY0M7IdNl7U

'Was his father a muslim of was his father an atheist?'

'He's all 3'

:sobbing:

Tennisation
Nov 8th, 2012, 03:48 AM
Most hilarious pwnage ever! Must watch until the end. :haha:

XIsEXWpv7MM

Edward.
Nov 8th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Yes, foreign countries want financial aid from US taxpayers, so of course they want Obama to win.

European countries receive foreign aid? China? Japan? :haha: :haha:

You are so full of shit it's unreal.

Williamsser
Nov 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
European countries receive foreign aid? China? Japan? :haha: :haha:

You are so full of shit it's unreal.

Yes, EU bailout is financial aid from US taxpayers. China receives $65 million a year in aid from the US. Japan's defense is paid by US taxpayers.

Bijoux0021
Nov 8th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Well, my fave lost, but... good luck for President Obama. He'll need A LOT of it :o Wish him well, BC WEll Being of America= well being of The World :hatoff:

BTW- at my workplace out of 5 people, 5 were for Romney. In my brother's college, all people, except for my brother, were for Obama...Just sayin...irrelevant mark.
Did your boss threaten your jobs if you and your co-workers didn't vote for Romney? There were lots of this nonsense going on all over the country during this election. :sad:

It's not a surprise that most college age people were/are for obama, because he wants them to be able to afford college and not end up with so much debts after they graduate.

Raiden
Nov 8th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Yes, EU bailout is financial aid from US taxpayers. China receives $65 million a year in aid from the US. Japan's defense is paid by US taxpayers.You're bullshitting about something you know nothing about.

The US actually BORROWS money from abroad. From China and Japan alone that borrowing goes in the TRILLIONS (1.1 X ¹² each from each of both countries)

Neither does any aid goes to EU (in NET amount, i.e. not counting Fed's fiat that's covering US banks' foreign investments). And of course Americans pay fees for things like military presence (just as you pay when you book a hotel room. Or do you regard your hotel fee as "financial aid"? :rolls:

Williamsser
Nov 8th, 2012, 12:56 PM
You're bullshitting about something you know nothing about.

The US actually BORROWS money from abroad. From China and Japan alone that borrowing goes in the TRILLIONS (1.1 X ¹² each from each of both countries)

Neither does any aid goes to EU (in NET amount, i.e. not counting Fed's fiat that's covering US banks' foreign investments). And of course Americans pay fees for things like military presence (just as you pay when you book a hotel room. Or do you regard your hotel fee as "financial aid"? :rolls:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/u.s.-tab-for-european-bailout-hits-20-billionand-counting/article/377406#.UJu5AobwKSo

U.S. taxpayers are on the hook for approximately $7.5 billion of the total EU bailout.

Currently, the U.S. has a total exposure to the IMF of $165 billion. Although taxpayers fund 17.72 percent of the IMF, they are currently paying for more than 20 percent of its outstanding loans.

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/012111-560621-editorial-why-does-the-us-still-give-china-aid-.htm

U.S. aid to China, at $65 million a year, is relatively small thanks to sanctions imposed following Beijing's 1989 military crackdown on pro-democracy demonstrators at Tiananmen Square.