PDA

View Full Version : How many slams will Petra win in 2013?

mac47
Nov 5th, 2012, 01:05 AM
This is like trying to predict the weather or the stock market, but have a try,

bruce goose
Nov 5th, 2012, 01:38 AM
IMO,it's not always necessary to list every theoretical possibility in threads like these;even in her best years and athletic prime,Serena was incapable of winning a calendar Slam...likewise Evert and Navrat...and Graf only managed it once.I'm not complaining:angel:,just offering an observation......I completely fail the impartiality test,but I'll vote ONE Slam

netphobia
Nov 5th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Oh God :sobbing:

I picked one because I don't want to be disappointed, but I think Serena is going to dominate all 2013 (bar a few injuries and the like...)

ShiftyFella
Nov 5th, 2012, 07:02 AM
I want to see return from sophomore slum like Serena did in her days but i'm would be more than happy if she don't stink all year, catches few big premier titles and reaches at least SF in 3 slams. I would be insanely mad if Vika wins at least one but Petra misses her opportunities due to injury from playing Czech extraliga:sobbing: oh shii, this already happened this year::lol:

Mynarco
Nov 5th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Zero. So as not to be disappointed

Petronius
Nov 5th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Serena and Maria are there to stay. Azarenka has gotten better. On a bad day, Petra may lose to Kerber, Bartoli and several other girls.
So far she has reached just one slam final in her career.
It's obvious that Wimbledon and AO are her best slams.
I think she will reach one slam final, but lose it. So no slam in 2013.

But I hope she proves me wrong!

Petronius
Nov 5th, 2012, 10:12 AM
This is like trying to predict the weather or the stock market, but have a try,

Tell me about it. When I think of the stock prices in March 2009 and when they are now. Even Starbucks shares have risen about 500% since the low. :lol:

Synth
Nov 5th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Hmm. Probably zero. Unless Serena pulls out of Wimbledon, and then maybe one.

Excelscior
Nov 5th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Right now everyone's down on Petra (especially how she ended the year, including the loss to Anci), so maybe this question can be asked at the beginning of 2013--even. :oh:

I mean come on: There's so much uncertainty surrounding this player (her mental state, her fitness/dedication, desire, her coaching, advisor's, management, etc.), that we just have to wait/table this, for a more neutral time. :lol:

Petronius
Nov 5th, 2012, 05:16 PM
There's so much uncertainty surrounding this player (her mental state, her fitness/dedication, desire, her coaching, advisor's, management, etc.)

Preach it. :lol:

Excelscior
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Preach it. :lol:

Oh Lord.

I do love Mac, Petronius. But his question was certainly poor timing--indeed, as we've ever seen it. :lol: :lol:

18majors
Nov 6th, 2012, 04:24 AM
Petra and Maria will split and win two (2) each.

Petronius
Nov 6th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Petra and Maria will split and win two (2) each.

No complaints from me. :D

JarkaFish
Nov 10th, 2012, 10:26 AM
As many as she won in 2012.

Petronius
Nov 10th, 2012, 11:08 AM

Welcome to the subforum and greetings to Croatia :)

Queen Petra Fan
Nov 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM

If she doesn't hire a good trainer, stays lazy regarding conditioning, and keeps the same know-nothing uninspiring coach, I think we can expect her to achieve: 0.

The only thing that can change this is if Serena gets sick or injured again, Maria's shoulder problem reappears, and Vika goes back to being a schizophrenic underachiever again.

I would say the odds are stacked against Petra.

Thus: 0

I hope Petra gets her crap together and proves me wrong. I would love for her to prove me wrong.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 25th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Well, she's one of the top four contenders, so she has a shot. Problem could be that one of those four could continue where she left off in 2012 in which case the odds of the other three winning one go down. If we take Serena out of the equation I'd say that Petra has a 40-50% chance of winning one. If Serena is at her best Petra, Vika and Maria each have a 20% chance of adding one to their resumé. Perhaps Maria has the better chance because these days she is at her best on the surface where Serena is (comparitively speaking) the most vulnerable.

In other words, I have no idea beyond the fact that a lot will depend on Serena. :lol:

Petronius
Nov 25th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Well, she's one of the top four contenders, so she has a shot. Problem could be that one of those four could continue where she left off in 2012 in which case the odds of the other three winning one go down. If we take Serena out of the equation I'd say that Petra has a 40-50% chance of winning one. If Serena is at her best Petra, Vika and Maria each have a 20% chance of adding one to their resumé. Perhaps Maria has the better chance because these days she is at her best on the surface where Serena is (comparitively speaking) the most vulnerable.

In other words, I have no idea beyond the fact that a lot will depend on Serena. :lol:

Nice post and agreed. Serena is still a (big) notch higher than the rest of the field. We'll see, if she continues to dominate the big events. As early as in January she'll be very motivated to make up for her early loss to Makarova.

But I wouldn't complain if Petra or some other girl (maybe one of your faves?) surprised us and went all the way to the title. :D

And welcome to the subforum. :cool:

Chrissie-fan
Nov 25th, 2012, 11:40 PM
But I wouldn't complain if Petra or some other girl (maybe one of your faves?) surprised us and went all the way to the title. :D

And welcome to the subforum. :cool:
Thanks. :) Yeah, Sharapova is a contender. I'm not so sure about the others though, but you never know. That's why we're watching. ;)

bruce goose
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:50 AM
Thanks. :) Yeah, Sharapova is a contender. I'm not so sure about the others though, but you never know. That's why we're watching. ;)You must be really bored:lol:,but at least you haven't been an impolite visitor...not that we expected that.Personally,I think we should've just eliminated the '3' and '4' Slam options.If everything went absolutely ideally,then Petra could win the AO,RG and Wimby.RG might sound odd,but not really when you consider that we have an absence of dominant clay-court queens now.Petra has gone far enough there previously to believe in herself if she has the right draw,and Masha showed that even a former clay embarrassment can transform into a winner,so why not Petra?

Having said that,the 3-slam achievement would be a huge shocker and,besides,no one here has voted for that outcome...and it's unlikely that anyone WILL unless it's in jest

Chrissie-fan
Nov 26th, 2012, 09:03 AM
You must be really bored:lol:,but at least you haven't been an impolite visitor...not that we expected that.Personally,I think we should've just eliminated the '3' and '4' Slam options.If everything went absolutely ideally,then Petra could win the AO,RG and Wimby.RG might sound odd,but not really when you consider that we have an absence of dominant clay-court queens now.Petra has gone far enough there previously to believe in herself if she has the right draw,and Masha showed that even a former clay embarrassment can transform into a winner,so why not Petra?

Having said that,the 3-slam achievement would be a huge shocker and,besides,no one here has voted for that outcome...and it's unlikely that anyone WILL unless it's in jest
It's more a case of being bored with GM. On the player forums you can talk without having to deal with all the GM-isms and the :haha: :facepalm: nonsense that posters use to illustrate how funny they consider themselves to be.

Anyway - although it used to be her worst surface, I wouldn't call Sharapova a former claycourt embarrassment. She got to the QF three times and to the SF two times before winning it. But yes, I can see Kvitova winning it one day. She has the game to win anything if she gets on a roll. Having said that, I nevertheless consider it the slam that she's the least likely to win of the four.

Petronius
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:29 AM
It's more a case of being bored with GM. On the player forums you can talk without having to deal with all the GM-isms and the :haha: :facepalm: nonsense that posters use to illustrate how funny they consider themselves to be.

I have to agree.

I was trying to stay away from these peak-to-peak threads until I saw the Navratilova-Graf thread.

In the beginning, they were quite objective and claimed that it's a toss up or 50-50. But as the thread continued, they were more and more biased and they basically ended up claiming that Steffi wins on all surfaces and is much more mentally stronger :lol:

So I had to intervene and supply some hard data, like the 1991 US Open semi :lol:

Excelscior
Nov 26th, 2012, 12:45 PM
You don't think Graf is better than Martina on all surfaces?

Martina say/believes that herself (and she's not just being polite). :lol:

Just cause you beat someone at a younger age (when your older) it doesn't necessarily make you better overall.

And Martina was a big fan of Graf from early in her career (when some of those wins--you like to tout took place).

Nonetheless (since you like to point it out), Graf reportedly has a winning head to head against Martina. So she must have made up for it.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 26th, 2012, 01:03 PM
You don't think Graf is better than Martina on all surfaces?

Martina say/believes that herself (and she's not just being polite). :lol:

Just cause you beat someone at a younger age (when your older) it doesn't necessarily make you better overall.

And Martina was a big fan of Graf from early in her career (when some of those wins--you like to tout took place).

Nonetheless (since you like to point it out), Graf reportedly has a winning head to head against Martina. So she must have made up for it.
Whener someone calls Martina the GOAT she doesn't put up much of a fight though.:lol: But once I heard her call herself the best fastcourt player, Chris the best slowcourt player and Steffi the best allrounder. Perhaps that comes the closest to the truth. But I don't think there's a clear cut answer to any of this. Although it can make for fascinating debates, it's perhaps best to accept that some things are just too close to call.

bruce goose
Nov 26th, 2012, 01:25 PM

Anyway - although it used to be her worst surface, I wouldn't call Sharapova a former claycourt embarrassment. She got to the QF three times and to the SF two times before winning it. But yes, I can see Kvitova winning it one day. She has the game to win anything if she gets on a roll. Having said that, I nevertheless consider it the slam that she's the least likely to win of the four.Well,Petra just made a SF at RG...in a year when she wasn't playing all that well.I would say that the USO was still the bugaboo because Petra lacked confidence and felt compelled to play NH even though she'd won a USO Series Premier and advanced to a semi...so that tells me that there's still a psychological hangup with NA hardcourts

Excelscior
Nov 26th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Whener someone calls Martina the GOAT she doesn't put up much of a fight though.:lol: But once I heard her call herself the best fastcourt player, Chris the best slowcourt player and Steffi the best allrounder. Perhaps that comes the closest to the truth. But I don't think there's a clear cut answer to any of this. Although it can make for fascinating debates, it's perhaps best to accept that some things are just too close to call.

Yes, I've heard Martina say that herself on more than one occasion. And I agree, that may be closer to the truth (though Graf is still very close to Martina on faster surfaces than Martina is to Graf on slower surfaces). And the thing is, Martina marveled at Graf from early on. It wasn't a retrospective once she compiled more majors than her.

I'm just not sure some of us can definitively argue, that Martina was a better all around singles player than Graf.

Petronius
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Graf reportedly has a winning head to head against Martina.

You definitely need a vacation :lol:

BTW, Thank God for Steffi that she at least tied their overall H2H to 9-9 by beating a 37-year-old granny Martina in the 1994 Tokyo final :cool:

Nevertheless, as I've said earlier, with Pavel Složil being Steffi's coach for almost six years, it's a win-win for every fan of the Czech tennis school. :lol:

Excelscior
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:32 PM

PS:

I think either Steffi, Martina, Chrissie and even Court to a lesser degree can all lay claim to GOAT. How many majors would Chrissie have if she didn't skip the French Open (while playing WTT tennis) a few times. And at one point, most of the majors (except the French) were on grass, as well. When you combine that with Chrissie's winning percentage, she was certainly good enough to be GOAT. Unfortunately, most people only remember the 2nd half of her/their career, when Martina was wiping the floor with her.

Excelscior
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:35 PM
You definitely need a vacation :lol:

BTW, Thank God for Steffi that she at least tied their overall H2H to 9-9 by beating a 37-year-old granny Martina in the 1994 Tokyo final :cool:

Nevertheless, as I've said earlier, with Pavel Složil being Steffi's coach for almost six years, it's a win-win for every fan of the Czech tennis school. :lol:

And there in lies the reason why you argue this subject (Martina vs Steffi) so passionate and incredulously at times: Cause Martina is Czech (well, at least originally). :lol: :tape: :lol:

PS: I said "reportedly" earlier cause I couldn't remember for sure. OK. They're tied. Big Whoop. :lol:

And you gotta remember, I love Martina as well. :)

Petronius
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:42 PM
But once I heard her call herself the best fastcourt player, Chris the best slowcourt player and Steffi the best allrounder. Perhaps that comes the closest to the truth.

Great post.

One remark on that fastcourt prowess.

My simple theory:

IMO, one of the reasons is the climate and weather conditions. Unlike in Spain with mild climate which produces great clay courters, in Czechoslovakia/Czech Rep. there are long winters so players have to train indoors a lot and they become accustomed to these indoor (and usually faster) courts more than other players.

Martina has 9 Wimbledons and 8 YECs in singles (both all-time records).

Ivan Lendl holds the ATP indoor winning streak record: 66 consecutive carpet court match victories.

Jana Novotna has won both Wimbledon and YEC.

Martina Hingis, who trained mostly in Czechoslovakia and Switzerand (both countries have harsh winters) has also won both Wimbledon and YEC (twice).

And as you may know, until recently Petra was on approx. 30-match indoor winning streak and is already a Wimbledon and YEC champion.

But perhaps this is pure off-season speculation :lol:

Maybe you can provide some insight on Chris Evert's clay court excellence? :cool:

Petronius
Nov 26th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Cause Martina is Czech (well, at least originally). :lol: :tape: :lol:

In 2008, she had her Czech citizenship restored. :)

BTW, I think that one of the reasons why she didn't arrive for the Fed Cup final is that she would feel redundant. :lol: Despite her unfulfilled promises (opening a tennis academy), the local tennis is doing quite well. She's not needed here :devil:

PS: I said "reportedly" earlier cause I couldn't remember for sure. OK. They're tied. Big Whoop. :lol:

BIG mistake :lol:

Excelscior
Nov 26th, 2012, 03:09 PM
In 2008, she had her Czech citizenship restored. :)

BTW, I think that one of the reasons why she didn't arrive for the Fed Cup final is that she would feel redundant. :lol: Despite her unfulfilled promises (opening a tennis academy), the local tennis is doing quite well. She's not needed here :devil:

BIG mistake :lol:

Maybe she feels she wouldn't have the time commitment for a tennis academy in the Czech Republic. You just can't do those things in name only. She could have also just been running her mouth, cause someone asked her, or cause she was feeling good about herself (or the Czech Republic) at the time. :lol:

A shame. It would be nice (unless you can tell us other wise) to have a big time academy there that wasn't involved in so many other levels of tennis (management, promotion, events, politics), and therefore 100% trustworthy and independent in developing players.

Being off one win, is not a "big mistake". :lol:

What do you mean by "redundant". Martina has dual citizenship now (or you were speaking about the promised Academy)?

Chrissie-fan
Nov 26th, 2012, 03:47 PM
PS:

I think either Steffi, Martina, Chrissie and even Court to a lesser degree can all lay claim to GOAT. How many majors would Chrissie have if she didn't skip the French Open (while playing WTT tennis) a few times. And at one point, most of the majors (except the French) were on grass, as well. When you combine that with Chrissie's winning percentage, she was certainly good enough to be GOAT. Unfortunately, most people only remember the 2nd half of her/their career, when Martina was wiping the floor with her.
Plus, concerning the second half of their rivalry - most put Navratilova's dominence down to her improved fitness, but I think it has just as much to do with the switch from wooden to graphite racquets. Taking a closer look at their h2h record which was 37-43 to Martina and thus very close anyway also helps even out their rivalry. Evert had more success against Martina on grass (10-5 h2h to Martina) than Martina against Chris on clay (11-3 to Chris) and they played 35 of their matches on indoor carpet which was Chris' worst surface.

Yes, I think that Court, Evert, Navratilova and Graf are all contenders for the GOAT title, and I wouldn't be upset if people include Connolly, Wills and Lenglen in the debate as well. One could argue that in the case of Lenglen and Wills the competition was not as strong as in later times, but they won virtually all their matches with ease. There's really nothing more they could have done and their dominance was such that there's reason to believe that they (and especially Wills) would have been great if they had been born much later too. Serena is one of them as well even though her stats away from the slams can't compare with those of the others because she simply hasn't played enough.

Excelscior
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Plus, concerning the second half of their rivalry - most put Navratilova's dominence down to her improved fitness, but I think it has just as much to do with the switch from wooden to graphite racquets. Taking a closer look at their h2h record which was 37-43 to Martina and thus very close anyway also helps even out their rivalry. Evert had more success against Martina on grass (10-5 h2h to Martina) than Martina against Chris on clay (11-3 to Chris) and they played 35 of their matches on indoor carpet which was Chris' worst surface.

Yes, I think that Court, Evert, Navratilova and Graf are all contenders for the GOAT title, and I wouldn't be upset if people include Connolly, Wills and Lenglen in the debate as well. One could argue that in the case of Lenglen and Wills the competition was not as strong as in later times, but they won virtually all their matches with ease. There's really nothing more they could have done and their dominance was such that there's reason to believe that they (and especially Wills) would have been great if they had been born much later too. Serena is one of them as well even though her stats away from the slams can't compare with those of the others because she simply hasn't played enough.

I agree with everything you said.

So true; especially the Chris Evert part (though she's a horrible analyst now). :lol:

Under closer scrutiny, their head to head and lifetime achievements are much more similar and in Evert's favor--even, than many may initially realize.

Petronius
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:16 PM
What do you mean by "redundant". Martina has dual citizenship now (or you were speaking about the promised Academy)?

I think she would feel uncomfortable being present here. Yeah, she's an amazing all-time great player, but she hasn't done anything for developing new tennis talents/stars here. And she also has that personal dispute with the boss of the local tennis federation :lol:

Being off one win, is not a "big mistake". :lol:

Not big if you're talking about Serena-Azarenka 'rivalry' where you can take six wins away from Serena and she's still clearly in the lead.

In the Martina-Steffi rivalry one match is crucial. Take one victory away from either of them and they'll end up with a losing H2H.

Petronius
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Under closer scrutiny, their head to head and lifetime achievements are much more similar and in Evert's favor--even, than many may initially realize.

And in cases like these Martina always has an ace up her sleeve:

41 slams and 11 YECs in doubles :oh:

TimeyWimey
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:28 PM
first i thought the title was How many slams will Petra win in HER CAREER......

man, in 2013?! I would say none

Excelscior
Nov 26th, 2012, 05:06 PM
first i thought the title was How many slams will Petra win in HER CAREER......

man, in 2013?! I would say none

It's funny you said that Timey.

That's what I thought at first as well (and why I didn't want to answer). Maybe the title was changed? :confused:

Like you, based off of last year and what we know now, I want to say NONE myself. However, I'll still with hold judgment, till we hear about her training, coaching, playing and conditioning activities leading up to the Australian Open.

mac47
Nov 27th, 2012, 03:28 AM
I think Petra could surprise us all in 2013. If she's motivated, she has a lot of extra headroom to improve -- far more than a limited, less-gifted player like Pova or Vika.

bruce goose
Nov 27th, 2012, 04:14 AM
So far no one has predicted 3 Slams for Petra...not holding my breath,either:lol:...but I don't see that as an insult either b/c I don't think that ANY player has what I'd call a GOOD shot at 3 Slams.A few of the elite have a far better chance than others,but still not what you'd call anything that close to probable

Chrissie-fan
Nov 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM
So far no one has predicted 3 Slams for Petra...not holding my breath,either:lol:...but I don't see that as an insult either b/c I don't think that ANY player has what I'd call a GOOD shot at 3 Slams.A few of the elite have a far better chance than others,but still not what you'd call anything that close to probable
That's because people are voting for what they THINK will happen happen as opposed to what they WISH would happen - a rarity at TF. If anyone will win more than two slams the most likely candidate is Serena.

JarkaFish
Nov 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM

2chars

bruce goose
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM
That's because people are voting for what they THINK will happen happen as opposed to what they WISH would happen - a rarity at TF. If anyone will win more than two slams the most likely candidate is Serena.For now,that's probably a fair assessment,but I thought it was interesting that the normally-confident Serena only said,'We'll see',when an interviewer asked her if she could sweep the Slams next year.Actually,he asked her if she could produce another 'Serena Slam'...for the record,Serena Slam=She wasn't quite good enough to get a REAL Slam sweep like Graf did.It's still a VERY nice accomplishment,but there's undeniably MUCH more pressure in getting the calendar Slam and,IMO,many of the chickenshit tennis media asswipes wanted to compensate for tennis' racist past,AND present,by acting as if Serena had somehow equalled what Court and Graf accomplished...which is a JOKE!...and even SHE would admit that,I think.However,her legacy as one of the best ever is secure and well-earned,so that's FAR different from the shameful pampering the WTA gives a few of their out-of-shape cover girls by playing along with the bullshit lie that 'injuries' are what stopped them from achieving greatness:rolleyes:

As I said,until we see more signs of intense focus from Petra,we can just about cross off the USO as a legit possibility for now....I can picture a scenario where she won the AO and then,with no one expecting her to win RG(translation:less pressure),she snuck thru the draw somewhat and pulled it out.However,with the current Petra,even at Wimbledon where she can be overwhelming(and EVEN if someone else knocked off SW),Petra would succumb to the pressure of trying to become the 1st player in over a decade to win 3 slams in a row

Chrissie-fan
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Well, weird as it sounds, Serena is still the unknown factor for me which makes it very hard to predict what will happen in 2013. If she plays at a level like she did in the second half of 2012 she's the favorite by a considerable margin at virtually every tournament she enters with the possible exception of the FO where she not only plays her opponents but also the boorish crowds that for whatever reason seem to hate her guts. But it's not a certainty that the 2013 version of Serena will be as strong as the 2012 one. She's had quite a few injuries over the years and periods when she was overweight and didn't seem to be as motivated as when she's at her best. Could be that after her amazing achievements of 2012 she's saturated by all the success and that as a result we'll see a less motivated, less hungry Serena next year. I don't EXPECT that, but I wouldn't be terribly shocked if that were the case either.

Excelscior
Nov 27th, 2012, 01:42 PM
If you look at history, and/or recent history, neither Masha, Azarenka or maybe even Serena will have the years NEXT year that they had THIS year. Player usually don't have back to back career years.

If so (there's a drop off from them) Petra better be ready, if not better altogether to capitalize.

We'll learn a lot about Petra, Vika, Masha and Serena next year indeed.

Petronius
Nov 27th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Well, weird as it sounds, Serena is still the unknown factor for me which makes it very hard to predict what will happen in 2013. If she plays at a level like she did in the second half of 2012 she's the favorite by a considerable margin at virtually every tournament she enters with the possible exception of the FO where she not only plays her opponents but also the boorish crowds that for whatever reason seem to hate her guts. But it's not a certainty that the 2013 version of Serena will be as strong as the 2012 one. She's had quite a few injuries over the years and periods when she was overweight and didn't seem to be as motivated as when she's at her best. Could be that after her amazing achievements of 2012 she's saturated by all the success and that as a result we'll see a less motivated, less hungry Serena next year. I don't EXPECT that, but I wouldn't be terribly shocked if that were the case either.

With Serena's type of game - HUGE serve, great returning, powerful groundies - she can be the woman to beat for another two/three years.

She wins so many cheap points off her serve and her return game is solid enough that she can win Wimbledon even as a 35-year-old (Navratilova won in 1990 and was still good enough to make the final in 1994, pushing 38 years of age).

I think Serena will continue to dominate.

I don't EXPECT that, but I wouldn't be terribly shocked if that were the case either.

Nice way to hedge your bets. ;)

bruce goose
Nov 27th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Well, weird as it sounds, Serena is still the unknown factor for me which makes it very hard to predict what will happen in 2013. If she plays at a level like she did in the second half of 2012 she's the favorite by a considerable margin at virtually every tournament she enters with the possible exception of the FO where she not only plays her opponents but also the boorish crowds that for whatever reason seem to hate her guts. But it's not a certainty that the 2013 version of Serena will be as strong as the 2012 one. She's had quite a few injuries over the years and periods when she was overweight and didn't seem to be as motivated as when she's at her best. Could be that after her amazing achievements of 2012 she's saturated by all the success and that as a result we'll see a less motivated, less hungry Serena next year. I don't EXPECT that, but I wouldn't be terribly shocked if that were the case either.Maybe I'm missing something,but the French crowds haven't treated Serena that way since their pathetic disgrace in 2003(and you can throw plenty of shame on the gutless chair umpire and,most of all,on Henin).SW speaks French fairly darned well for an American,and they seem to appreciate that effort...and you missed the boat a little bit b/c it's not just RG but ANY slow,red clay surface where she becomes quite ordinary.If you'll recall,her best results last year came on the much-faster green clay and the freakish,almost-grasslike Madrid.In recent years,she's played VERY little on the slower red stuff,and I don't consider that any co-incidence.

You also failed to mention the mental factor: Unlike the slimy 2003 version,the older Henin didn't fear Serena AT ALL...and you could say the same for Clijsters and Dementieva as they got older,too.They all respected her,of course,but there's a big difference when you haven't lost the match before it even starts,and that's where most all of today's young players are with SW.I'm not asking for Petra to beat her 5 times in a row or anything...just that she be mentally strong enough that she loses only due to her foe's tough PERFORMANCE...and not because she's scared out there on court

Excelscior
Nov 27th, 2012, 04:08 PM
Good Points Bruce.

Petra is probably the only woman on tour that Can Beat Serena (all thing being equal, of course Serena could lose to Azarenka Kerber or God Forbid--even Masha on a bad day LOL) if she was mentally prepared and was playing her A game.

Many times, Serena doesn't play great. However her opponents are usually ill prepared to take advantage, cause they don't go for the jugular. Usually it's the scrubs that actually go for the jugular against her (like Makarova at the Australian and Razzano at the French Open) when they have Serena on the ropes.

Now of course it appears, Serena tries/plays harder against the likes of Azarenka, Sharapova and Kvitova, then Radwanska, Kerber and Jie Zheng. :lol:

Nonetheless, Petra has the game (Serve, Return, Heavy Groundies, Net Game, Slice, overall shot making, etc.) to beat Serena. The real question is, will she ever be at a high enough mental, physical, game and strategic level to do so? :shrug:

JarkaFish
Nov 27th, 2012, 10:28 PM
So long as Serena keeps serving the way she does, and the other girls keep serving as poorly as they do, the match will always be on her hand.

Chrissie-fan
Nov 27th, 2012, 11:13 PM
Nice way to hedge your bets. ;)
My way of saying that I have no idea. :lol: Nevertheless, a few months are like a eternity in sports and things can change around very quickly. Bold predictions are made all the time at TF and those that do more often than not end up with their pants down at their ankles. ;)

bruce goose
Nov 28th, 2012, 01:59 AM
So long as Serena keeps serving the way she does, and the other girls keep serving as poorly as they do, the match will always be on her hand.That generalization is often true,but not always.She was in dominant GOAT mode in both 2009 and 2011 at the USO,her favorite Slam,and she was shut down,in straight sets,first by Clijsters and then,surprisingly,by Stosur,too.As we've seen in recent history,she's almost irrelevant at RG;she hasn't made a really strong run at the title in almost 10 years there.

I'm just curious as to whether or not Petra will strive hard to up her game and beat that great opponent....or will she take the chickenshit approach that I'm sure many others are taking--which = waiting for the threat to retire

steni
Nov 29th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Good Points Bruce.

Petra is probably the only woman on tour that Can Beat Serena (all thing being equal, of course Serena could lose to Azarenka Kerber or God Forbid--even Masha on a bad day LOL) if she was mentally prepared and was playing her A game.

Many times, Serena doesn't play great. However her opponents are usually ill prepared to take advantage, cause they don't go for the jugular. Usually it's the scrubs that actually go for the jugular against her (like Makarova at the Australian and Razzano at the French Open) when they have Serena on the ropes.

Now of course it appears, Serena tries/plays harder against the likes of Azarenka, Sharapova and Kvitova, then Radwanska, Kerber and Jie Zheng. :lol:

Nonetheless, Petra has the game (Serve, Return, Heavy Groundies, Net Game, Slice, overall shot making, etc.) to beat Serena. The real question is, will she ever be at a high enough mental, physical, game and strategic level to do so? :shrug:

I've been thinking about the same as well, especially on grass, Petra wasnt 100% last time they played, and thats why I think serena had the edge. I hope Petra prepares well this time!

bruce goose
Dec 2nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
On a different track,has any player expressed dislike for Petra?I'm not suggesting that such a gal had any valid reason...perhaps it may have resulted from bitterness over a loss to Petra in an important match...but,so far,I haven't seen any chat about that here at TF

bruce goose
Dec 3rd, 2012, 04:28 AM
I think it would be fun if Mac47 went back and amended the poll page so that we could vote for '5' or '6':lol:....We could definitely try to make the case that YEC was a Slam,especially because Petra has won it;),but I'm not if we could convince too many folks that Fed Cup was the 6th Slam