PDA

View Full Version : [BOMBSHELL] Lucasfilm bought by Disney for $4Billion - STAR WARS: EPISODE 7 in 2015!!

King Halep
Oct 31st, 2012, 08:51 AM
Cue internet explosion. Disney has purchased George Lucas’ Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion, and has earmarked a 2015 release date for Star Wars: Episode VII. Yes, you read that right. Not only will Disney be in command of the Star Wars empire, but a seventh entry in one of the most popular franchise of all time is in the works and set for release the same year as The Avengers 2 and Justice League.

I’m still in a fair amount of shock here, but with this move Disney has solidified its plans to take over the world as the company now houses Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm. The new was announced by both companies, so this is no hoax.

The announcement was made by Disney, whose release includes the following statement from George Lucas:

“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm, in a statement. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”

We recently learned that Kathleen Kennedy, longtime producing partner of Steven Spileberg, had been chosen as the new co-chair of Lucasfilm. She will now become the studio’s president under the new deal, answering directly to Disney chair Alan Horn.

As for that new Star Wars film, Lucas will remain onboard as a “creative consultant” while Kathleen Kennedy wil serve as executive producer on Star Wars Episode 7 and future Star Wars movies. The release of Episode 7 in 2015 will kick off a new trilogy that Lucasfilm already has mapped out.

For all intents and purposes, though, this is a clear sign that Lucas is letting go of the beloved franchise. He stated earlier this year that he was looking to move away from Lucasfilm in order to make “experimental movies” in his garage, so this move isn’t exactly a shock. Disney has had a strong relationship with the company since Star Tours opened in Disneyland years ago, and the studio’s relationship with Spielberg/Kennedy likely gave Lucas reassurance that his franchise would be in good hands.

We all knew that further Star Wars films would be made someday, be it with a reboot, remake, or proper sequel. Disney has handled Marvel quite well, so hopefully they can do the same with the Star Wars series. A few entanglements will still have to be worked out, as 20th Century Fox is still set to distribute the 3D re-releases of Lucas’ Star Wars films over the next few years. The television series Star Wars: The Clone Wars is also owned by a Disney competitor, Turner Broadcasting, so it remains to be seen how these extensions of the franchise will be sorted out.

Update: A conference call with shareholders just ended, in which a few more details of the deal were revealed:

Star Wars: Episode 7 will be the beginning of a new trilogy that has been mapped out.
The treatment for Episode 7 is already completed, on which Lucas consulted.
Episodes 8 and 9 will be released approximately every other year following 2015, so expect the sequels in 2017 and 2019.
20th Century Fox will not be involved with these future releases.
Disney “really likes” the potential of expanding Star Wars into television on their Disney XD channel, so expect more than a few new animated series.
The studio’s concentration is on the Star Wars franchise, so as of now there are no plans to toy with Indiana Jones. The reason being that those films are tied up in some legal shambles with Paramount, who distributed the films. Indiana Jones was not part of the valuation of Lucasfilm when Disney was eyeing the acquisition.
Disney plans to leave Lucasfilm’s visual effects company Industrial Light & Magic (ILM) “as it is.”

http://collider.com/disney-lucasfilm-star-wars-7/207372/

King Halep
Oct 31st, 2012, 09:03 AM
A tiny bit of news broke this afternoon, as it was announced that Disney was acquiring George Lucas‘ LucasFilm and a new Star Wars film is being planned for release in 2015. Naturally, the internet went a little nuts. There was a bit of confusion surrounding the initial news nugget, but we learned a bit more as Disney and LucasFilm started revealing the details of the deal. Star Wars: Episode 7 will kick off a new trilogy, with LucasFilm president Kathleen Kennedy overseeing the franchise as the executive producer while Lucas acts as a creative consultant.

In concert with the acquisition news, Lucas and Kennedy released a video online explaining why the decision was made to sell the company to Disney and what this means for Star Wars going forward. Hit the jump to see what they had to say.

Lucas begins by explaining why he decided to step away from the company and why Disney is the perfect fit for Lucasfilm:

“Obviously I’ve been talking about retiring for several years now. I wanted to get into sort of another stage of life where I’m not in the film business anymore, where I don’t have to run a corporation. It occurred to me one day that the perfect person to run the company was Kathy [Kennedy]. It’s just such a perfect fit, and I felt that I really wanted to put the company somewhere in a larger entity that would protect it. Disney is a huge corporation; they have all kinds of capabilities and faciliites. There’s a lot of strength to be gained by this.”

In this afternoon’s press release, it was revealed that a treatment for Episode 7 has already been written and an outline is already done for Episodes 8 and 9. Lucas reveals in the video that he’s written the treatments for the new trilogy, and he handed over all the Star Wars story nuggets that he’s accumulated over the years to Kennedy:

“I always said I wasn’t going to do anymore, and that’s true, I’m not going to do anymore. But that doesn’t mean I’m unwilling to turn it over to Kathy [Kennedy] to do more. I have story treatments of 7, 8, and 9, and a bunch of other movies and obviously we have hundreds of books and comics and everything you could possibly imagine. So I sort of moved that treasure trove of stories and various things to Kathy, and I have complete confidence that she’s gonna take them and make great movies.”

Kennedy revealed that they’ve already started talking to writers about penning the screenplay for Episode 7:

“We are absolutely going to make Star Wars movies and we’re in the midst of the really fun part of the process which is we’re sitting down with a couple of writers and we’re starting to discuss ideas and we’re starting to talk about what those stories might be.”

Though I’m sure they’d be abruptly abducted and never heard from again if they opened their mouth, I’m incredibly interested to hear what screenwriters Kennedy has been talking to about handling the script for the next Star Wars film. Hopefully we hear more soon, though I’m sure we won’t be lacking for Star Wars rumors in the coming weeks.

YyqlTi7lkhY

That Yoda joke made me cringe

mrponalado 10 hours ago - ITS A TRAP!!!!!!!!

King Halep
Oct 31st, 2012, 09:10 AM
5 Suggestions for Who Should Direct STAR WARS: EPISODE VII

It was bound to happen some day. Star Wars: Episode VII is becoming a reality now that Disney has purchased LucasFilm, and set a release date for 2015. George Lucas has gracefully bowed out of the director’s chair, and given the reigns over to producer Kathleen Kennedy, although it remains to be seen how much influence he’ll have over future Star Wars films.

But since the director’s chair is open and we all love pretending we’re Hollywood executive, let’s play Suggest! That! Director! This is the fun part since we have no idea what the story will be and who would be appropriate for that story. However, we do have a vibe of what a Star Wars movie is, or at least what a Star Wars movie should be (i.e., the originals, not the prequels). So who’s the right director to make a worthy successor to the original movies? Hit the jump for my suggestions.

Every major filmmaker knows Star Wars, and a large percentage carry its impact to this day. They haven’t just seen the movies. They’ve taken them into their DNA. It’s part of their existence. And yet, these filmmakers have come to their own styles. I love the films of Guillermo Del Toro, Edgar Wright, and others, but I want to see them handle their own material. I’m more excited for Pacific Rim than I am for The Haunted Mansion, even though I’m sure Del Toro will do a great job with both. I’m keen to see Ant-Man, but I’m more eager to see The World’s End. Here’s the question you have to ask: would I rather see a director I admire do an original project, or take time to do Star Wars?

As for other obvious fan-favorites: I’m sure Joss Whedon would deliver a memorable movie, I’m not sure how I’d feel about droids spouting Whedonesque dialogue (I think his take on The Avengers works because the Marvel movies have been so flexible in their styles). Also, Steven Spielberg has said he’s done with action movies, and I think after Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, he’s content to keep his hands off George Lucas’ stuff.

The best people I see for the job are the ones who can adapt to any genre, but they’re more than journeymen. They know how to move across genres and have the talent to deliver something memorable if paired with a solid script. Furthermore, each of these directors has delivered successful blockbusters in the past, so the studio would likely be comfortable with them handling the technical demands Episode VII will likely require (otherwise Rian Johnson, Cary Fukunaga, and a few other directors would have easily made this list). While Disney has stated that they’re planning a new trilogy, at this point I’m focusing solely on the next movie because let’s be honest: studios want a trilogy out of everything and most of the time they’re willing to part with the director.

It’s not just that Brad Bird is one of the best directors working today. It’s that he has the uncanny ability to come into an existing project or franchise (like Ratatouille and Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol) and hit it out of the park. He doesn’t leave an overbearing stamp on his material other than an emphasis on the importance of story above all else, and giving his audience a fun, uplifting experience without ever being cloying or condescending. If anyone can bring the old magic back to Star Wars, it’s Bird.

There were four directors before him, but for me, David Yates is the true director of the Harry Potter franchise. He directed it through some of the most challenging stories, found the essence of the character as it best related to the demands of a movie, and always let the story come ahead of the set pieces. His passion for the material never came off as slavish or doting, but respectful and thoughtful. If there’s any franchise that could match the pressures of directing Star Wars, it’s Harry Potter. Yates made it look easy.

Like all of the other directors on this list, he took an established franchise and made it feel fresh without leaving behind what made the world special. If anyone other than Bryan Singer had come on to replace Vaughn for X-Men: First Class 2, I think there would have been great mourning at seeing him leave the series. Also worth noting is how Vaughn has skillfully moved through wildly different tones such as the delightful fantasy of Stardust to the bombastic to Kick-Ass without missing a beat.

After seeing Skyfall, I was once again reminded that Sam Mendes is a master of genre. Give him a strong script, and he’ll blow you away. Give him a bad script, and you get Revolutionary Road. But in terms of control, he has moved seamlessly through genres as diverse as period melodrama to indie dramedy to gangster film to spy thriller, and while he doesn’t drastically elevate the material, he directs a script to its full potential. And as you’ll see with Skyfall, he has no trouble getting into an established franchise and finding its heart.

Yes, it will be the most secretive production in history. While I haven’t been over the moon about the stories of Abrams’ movies, I believe he is a talented director, and more importantly, he can make a strong picture when working with a less than stellar script. If Abrams gets a strong screenplay and can pair it with the earnestness he showed with Super 8, it should be a nice fit with Star Wars.

Of course, the most important challenge is getting the story right, and we have no idea what that story will be. This is the problem with speculation. We have favorite directors, and we want them to do big things, but we don’t know if they’ll be a good fit. And it’s impossible to know who would be best suited to the material (although I can think of some names that I would prefer to stay away from Star Wars), so we’ll just have to wait and see.

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-7-directors/207392/

Hayato
Oct 31st, 2012, 09:20 AM
Really exciting news! :D Just re-watched Episode 3 a week ago. I'm not really into sci-fi at all but Star Wars is something different.

I don't think the upcoming trilogy will have anything to do with Luke Skywalker and co. or the original plot, I think that would be messing with something that's already finished and fans probably won't like that. It would make sense for it to be about different planet(s) with new heroes, but still with the same themes and some interconnectivity of characters. Hopefully!

Disney did Pirates of the Caribbean too and that obviously worked out well.

King Halep
Oct 31st, 2012, 09:22 AM
My initial reaction is that Lucas originally thought up nine movies, but later said the story logically ends at the end of episode 6. I always considered that episode 3 and 6 were good conclusions to the two storylines. Anything which comes after this would seem to be added as an afterthought for convenience. Star Wars is not perfect cinema, more like a B-grade Tolkien, but its great as far as contemporary folklore standards go. The only positive thing I can see from this is that Lucas is not directing anymore, so character development might become part of the process. The second series proved that even great actors had a hard time breathing life into those movies.

Hayato
Oct 31st, 2012, 09:27 AM
My initial reaction is that Lucas originally thought up nine movies, but later said the story logically ends at the end of episode 6. I always considered that episode 3 and 6 were good conclusions to the two storylines. Anything which comes after this would seem to be added as an afterthought for convenience. Star Wars is not perfect cinema, more like a B-grade Tolkien, but its great as far as contemporary folklore standards go. The only positive thing I can see from this is that Lucas is not directing anymore, so character development might become part of the process. The second series proved that even great actors had a hard time breathing life into those movies.

Well Tolkien is God, agreed. Yeah, new director(s) = new character(s) hopefully.

Halardfan
Oct 31st, 2012, 12:12 PM
Whedon would be my choice, Firefly/Serenity had a touch of the original Star Wars trilogy about it, and it would be a perfect fit.

Edgar Wright would be second choice for me.

Super Dave
Oct 31st, 2012, 01:58 PM
I hope my Disney stock continues to rise ;)

I only saw the original Star Wars, but hey, keep 'em coming :yeah:

Rawb
Oct 31st, 2012, 03:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Bmdrs.jpg
I saw this elsewhere on the internet today.

debby
Oct 31st, 2012, 03:30 PM
This is ridiculous.....

Sally Struthers
Oct 31st, 2012, 04:03 PM
SO does this mean Princess Leia is now a Disney Princess? :oh:

Brooklyn90
Oct 31st, 2012, 04:16 PM
This is a travesty! Damn Disney ;)

Sammo
Oct 31st, 2012, 06:25 PM
Unless they get Justin Bieber to star in this next movie it can't really get worse with the lead actor choice so :shrug:

tennisboi
Oct 31st, 2012, 07:54 PM
I recently watched the original Star Wars trilogy for the first time recently & I loved it big time but this is just a money making opportunity if it does go ahead Harrison Ford better be in it!!

Olórin
Oct 31st, 2012, 08:51 PM
This is awful. I'm devastated.

Olórin
Oct 31st, 2012, 09:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Bmdrs.jpg
I saw this elsewhere on the internet today.

OMG, this is what they'll do :sobbing: I saw a picture of George Lucas and Micky Mouse with lighsabers. This is either a visionary move or the true death of Star Wars.

King Halep
Oct 31st, 2012, 09:56 PM
http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/MAD-Magazine-Star-Wars-Disney-Poster-A_0.jpg

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcq589akX51qzozj1.jpg

Super Dave
Nov 1st, 2012, 01:28 PM
The "Star Tours" simulator ride has been at Disney World forever ('80s?). They recently updated it.

King Halep
Jun 17th, 2013, 12:44 PM
A lot of reactions to the new Star Trek movie are that it is dumb but fun. Paramount has dumbed down the Star Trek franchise for the masses so that it makes more money. Hope the Star Wars movie is more than just that. It needs to be great, not just really good.

JJ Abrams must steer Star Wars clear of plot holes – he's our only hope

The Lost creator and director of the irritatingly gappy Star Trek films knows a thing or two about scriptural fudges. Let's pray he doesn't put another universe at risk with his breakneck pacing

guardian.co.uk

Spoiler warning: read if you've seen Star Trek: Into Darkness

When JJ Abrams was announced earlier this year as the surprise director of the new Star Wars film following Disney's $4bn buyout of George Lucas's gently disintegrating space opera empire in October, there were few dissenting voices to be heard. Here was a director who had taken rival sci-fi film series Star Trek and reinvigorated the whole affair with some much-needed razzmatazz, in the process transforming a saga that had been a niche concern for decades into a must-see proposition for anyone remotely interested in big-budget spectacle-heavy film-making. This was after turning round the Mission: Impossible series following John Woo's dumb second instalment with the sinisterly superior Mission: Impossible III in 2006, and reminding us all what the term "Spielbergian" ought to represent with the wide-eyed and gorgeously heartfelt ET paean Super 8 two years ago.

This week it emerged that Abrams is beginning to put his team together for Star Wars: Episode VII, and he's already recruited Star Trek's costume designer, Michael Kaplan, to venture into the new universe. Might this be the first of many crossovers? If so, let this post serve as a cautionary note.

Abrams' latest film, Star Trek Into Darkness, has been rightly praised by the critics. Like its predecessor, the film has been ruthlessly trimmed of all unnecessary fat to ensure the final product keeps viewers glued to the screen from the opening scene to the final credits. The talky stuff that has always been the lifeblood of this series now plays out at breakneck speed, while the crew of the Enterprise are running from weird-looking natives of a primitive planet or trying to set off a world-saving gadget at the centre of an erupting volcano. There's so much going on in these films that it is at times almost impossible to keep track of the logic of what's going on in front of one's eyes. The first film, 2009's Star Trek, also had more than its fair share of gargantuan plot holes: one particularly juicy one was Kirk getting marooned on a freezing planet as punishment for challenging Spock's authority rather than – you know – simply put in a cell on board the Enterprise. This is, of course, is later hugely convenient when our hero bumps into Scotty and Spock Prime, who just happen to be exactly the people he needs to get back on board the Enterprise, wrongfoot Spock and take down villain Nero.

Star Trek Into Darkness – perhaps unsurprisingly, given it was written by Damon Lindelof (of Lost and Prometheus fame) – takes the series' plot-hole fetishisation to all new levels. Why is the Starfleet command so poorly defended that villain John Harrison/Khan can turn up in a combat-armed airship and blow the bejesus out of its top officers through thinly reinforced glass? Given that this is presumably the equivalent of the US Pentagon in the supremely sophisticated 23rd century, don't they have some sort of early warning system for this type of thing? Furthermore, how did Khan get hold of the special medicine that saved the life of the Starfleet officer's dying daughter and got him in a position to make the attack in the first place, presuming that it was not available to the general population? Oh and another for good measure: at one point in Into Darkness we see Kirk contacting Scotty from a handset even though the recently resigned chief engineer is in a nightclub on Earth and the Enterprise's captain is billions of miles away on (if I recall correctly) another planet. And yet, later on, Scotty turns up unannounced to save the day by causing a power outage on an unmarked Federation ship which is threatening Kirk and his crew. Why did he not phone ahead to reveal his plan? None of these holes ruined Star Trek Into Darkness for me – I even survived the more outrageous Prometheus – but I certainly would have preferred the movie to hang together more effectively from a logic perspective.

Lindelof is not involved (thank goodness) in Star Wars. But Abrams nevertheless needs to get a grip on this predilection towards ramming countless exciting plot twists into his films at the cost of coherency. Just because Lost, which both Abrams and Lindelof were involved in, got away with flagging up gazillions of intriguing mysteries without explaining more than half a dozen of them over the course of its six seasons on telly does not mean such laziness should be allowed to leak out into the wider entertainment universe. Lindelof very nearly ruined Prometheus with his infuriating lack of attention to detail, after all.

Toy Story 3's Michael Arndt, who is writing Star Wars: Episode VII, ought to be a safe pair of hands. The screewriter has described the climactic denouement of 1977's Star Wars: A New Hope as an example of screenwriting perfection for the way it brings together the character arcs of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo for an "insanely great ending" which leaves the audience in a euphoric state. If the new Star Wars hopes to replicate such brilliance, it must avoid falling into the pattern Abrams' other space saga appears to be slipping further and further into. As Admiral Ackbar himself said so memorably: "It's a trap!"