PDA

View Full Version : What's your ancestry?

Sammo
Oct 28th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Our of curiosity :) I'm from the north of Spain, from Asturias, I'm quite pale, my hair is black and my eyes are brown. My father has like every ancestor from here and my mother has some family in central Spain.

There's paleontological evidence that Asturias was first inhabited by some Neanderthals and then modern humans, but the first (massive) inhabitants here in Asturias were the Celts, which originated in Central Europe (where Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary, etc are located nowadays) and then went in every possible direction lol, and came here around the year 1200 BC.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/Celts_in_Europe.png
Diachronic distribution of Celtic peoples
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celt)

Then the Romans came in the year 29 BC and they were already settled in 19 BC, easily defeating the resistance and romanising the Celtic population, so add then some Italian blood to the mix, and finally I might have a bit of a Muslim ancestry from my mother's side, because Muslims invaded Spain in the year 711 and conquered everything except where I live, Asturias (which is in the very North of Spain), where the reconquest began, finishing in 1492.

There, you just learnt a bit of Spanish history. Now it's your turn.

Morning Morgan
Oct 28th, 2012, 01:05 AM
What's your ancestry?

Non-troll

Sammo
Oct 28th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Non-troll

Then you're dishonouring your ancestors right now boy :oh:

Lin Lin
Oct 28th, 2012, 01:56 AM
This is hard to say,I guess the Li family back to Tang Dynasty around 1300 years ago:unsure:

ranfurly
Oct 28th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Dutch/German Descent,

Proud South African.

ElusiveChanteuse
Oct 28th, 2012, 02:19 AM
http://animalblawg.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/41091412_gorilla_ap_4162.jpg

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 28th, 2012, 04:02 AM
I'm Scottish, German & Dutch :cool:

miffedmax
Oct 28th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Scottish/English/Welsh/German/French.

The Welsh ancestors came to the US as Quakers fleeing oppression in the 1600s and settled in Rhode Island and Pennsylvania. The English ancestors came next (around 1690s) and settled in Maryland and also in Pennsylvania (we sure loved us some Pennsylvania back in those days).

The Scots went to Canada starting in the 1700s, while the English ancestors were fighting in the Revolution. The Welsh were Quakers, so they didn't fight, although one of them got kicked out of the Quakers for being a supply wagon driver in the Continental Army.

Anyway, the Welsh were all busy being abolutionists and stuff. Meanwhile, my French and German ancestors arrived in...that's right, Pennsylvania just in time to get drafted into the Union Army. (Later they moved to Indiana, which had large populations of French and German people).

Finally, the Scottish/Canadians came here in the 1890s because they got lost. In fairness to them, the border between Manitoba and Minnesota was not clearly marked.

My sons are Scottish/English/Welsh/German/French/Swedish/Irish.

~{X}~
Oct 28th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Croatian/Romanian.

But lord knows what else can be inside me through various conquests and what not through the millenia!

I could have anything from Italian, Austrian, Hungarian, Russian, Turkish, Serbian, Bosnian, German, Polish, Greek in me. :lol:

No pun intended. :o

Kəv.
Oct 28th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Vietnamese, Malaysian, Chinese + some others :p

Mynarco
Oct 28th, 2012, 04:47 AM
No pun intended. :o

:haha:

Wert.
Oct 28th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I'm from Western Serbia although my grandparents were born in Bosnia Herzégovina (Serbian Part of B&H) :p

Petkorazzi
Oct 28th, 2012, 07:34 AM
I'm 100% Georgian with not a single ancestor from anywhere else. :smoke:

saint2
Oct 28th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Honestlyy ??? No clue... Propably 100% Pole, however my mother family was orthodox, so it seems that generations ago they could be Russians.
One of slogans in my counntry is that thing wich separates nobility from peasants is that nobility is aware of their ancestors. I guess its make me a peasant.

M.S.F
Oct 28th, 2012, 08:13 AM
I'm a Saudi Arabian national of Egyptian, Lebanese, Moroccan and Indian ancestry.
Both of my great-great-great paternal and maternal granparents migrated and settled in the Hejaz region of the Arabian peninsula.

silverwhite
Oct 28th, 2012, 08:59 AM
100% Chinese

Mynarco
Oct 28th, 2012, 09:07 AM
100% Chinese (Han) probably, though my surname might suggest otherwise

skanky~skanketta
Oct 28th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Part Burmese, part Aryan and plenty of Dravidian.

Nicolas
Oct 28th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I was born in the Mediterranean part of France, but my 4(!) grand-parents came form the same area in Italian Piemonte. They emigrated to France with their parents when they were kids, just before WWII.

Halardfan
Oct 28th, 2012, 11:24 AM
I think it's revealing and important in that it shows the madness of nationalism. So many of us are a mixture of so many nationalities. Within the great-grandparent generation alone I have English, Polish, Belarussian and French family ancestors.

Elwin.
Oct 28th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Dutch-German

*Jean*
Oct 28th, 2012, 11:28 AM
ancestry 100% Maltese; some of them emigrated to Greece in the 1890's, and four members of these who went to Greece travelled to America during the Great Immigration waves. Found traces of their passages through Ellis Island between 1895 and 1898.

The Witch-king
Oct 28th, 2012, 11:44 AM
What is this? Part of some TF ethnic cleansing exercise? I don't think so :no:

I'm from the north of Spain, from Asturias, I'm quite pale, my hair is black and my eyes are brown. My father has like every ancestor from here and my mother has some family in central Spain.

There's paleontological evidence that Asturias was first inhabited by some Neanderthals

Must...resist...temptation..

LightUpTheWorld
Oct 28th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Chinese and Jamaican

ViceUltramontain
Oct 28th, 2012, 12:20 PM
French/Italian/German/Austrian

Sammo
Oct 28th, 2012, 12:26 PM
What is this? Part of some TF ethnic cleansing exercise? I don't think so :no:

Must...resist...temptation..

Lol, that made me laugh :lol:

Barrie_Dude
Oct 28th, 2012, 12:34 PM
My grandparents on my fathers side came to Canada after WW1 from Hungary. My father was born in Toronto. My mothers family came over from Ireland in the mid 1800's. At some point, there may have been some native American involved. I was born in Canada but was raised in the States. For all practical purposes, I am American, though I live in Canada and am a Canadian Citizen

Drimal
Oct 28th, 2012, 12:52 PM
French

delicatecutter
Oct 28th, 2012, 04:00 PM
German/English/Swedish/African/Native American

M.S.F
Oct 28th, 2012, 04:15 PM
German/English/Swedish/African/Native American

You mean Black African?
Africa is very diverse from Berbers and Egyptians in the north to Bantus in the south.

delicatecutter
Oct 28th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah Black African. The ones that didn't come to this continent voluntarily..

Nicolás89
Oct 28th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I must be 1/16 aborigen and 15/16 hispanic. :lol:

Reptilia
Oct 28th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Danish/Norwegian

SVK
Oct 28th, 2012, 09:41 PM
From mother´s side Rusyns´ (aka Carpatho-Russian) and probably jewish, but this was never confirmed as far as I know. The story is that my grandmother was claimed to be sterile so she went to jewish "healer" and then she had a baby which, well, looked a lot like him. From father´s side I don´t know that much, but at least the last few generations they were Slovaks.

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 28th, 2012, 09:43 PM
From mother´s side Rusyns´ (aka Carpatho-Russian) and probably jewish, but this was never confirmed as far as I know. The story is that my grandmother was claimed to be sterile so she went to jewish "healer" and then she had a baby which, well, looked a lot like him. From father´s side I don´t know that much, but at least the last few generations they were Slovaks.

Very interesting story ;)

Mary Cherry.
Oct 28th, 2012, 09:52 PM
I have no idea. Don't you have to pay to use the websites that tell you?

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 28th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I have no idea. Don't you have to pay to use the websites that tell you?

Just look up Delta Burkes ancestry, we know Mary has some deep southern roots :lol:;)

Mary Cherry.
Oct 28th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Just look up Delta Burkes ancestry, we know Mary has some deep southern roots :lol:;)

A real Texan beauty queen was Cherry Cherry :hatoff:

SVK
Oct 28th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Very interesting story ;)

The most amusing thing for me is that from my father´s side I inherited a surname Frank which is kinda German. And having both german AND jewish origins would be kinda ironic. But once again, no one of these two things were confirmed and I would be curious once to see the track of my origins from father´s side.

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 28th, 2012, 10:04 PM
A real Texan beauty queen was Cherry Cherry :hatoff:

:lol:

Dementieva_Dude
Oct 28th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Canadian with Polish/Greek/Dutch ancestry

Milito22
Oct 28th, 2012, 11:03 PM
mediterranean 75% Native 15% Black African 10%

:cool:

Pops Maellard
Oct 29th, 2012, 12:57 AM
British (all of it, except Wales I think).

Number19
Oct 29th, 2012, 03:07 AM
Scottish/Irish/German

Don't know anything how and when they came to Canada, except the Scottish were in Ireland for some reason before coming to Canada.

Fantasy Hero
Oct 29th, 2012, 02:03 PM
I come from north-east of italy, my family from mum's side comes from the land near Venice and they were peasants, so nothing really exciting about them. My dad's family is half friulan, so part of the descendence of alpine population speaking Romantsch, the other half comes from a mix of coincidences so that I have some swiss and some Austrian blood, even though my grandma was born in German-speaking part of France. :lol:

Mattographer
Oct 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM
English/Irish/Scottish/German.

Super Dave
Oct 29th, 2012, 02:28 PM
German / Russian

égalité
Oct 29th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I'm half Greek Macedonian and half Ashkenazi Jew (mostly by way of Russia and Belarus). :cheer:

miffedmax
Oct 29th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Scottish/Irish/German

Don't know anything how and when they came to Canada, except the Scottish were in Ireland for some reason before coming to Canada.

That's because they British government encouraged emigration to Ireland at one point (esp. from Scotland) to keep the Catholic natives in line, and it's why Northern Ireland has a Protestant majority.

A number of my ancestors came to the U.S. the same route. In the U.S. they're called "Scotch-Irish" and are considered to have played a major role in developing the culture of the Appalachians and the South--for better and for worse.

Bart
Oct 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Flemish/Dutch

ptkten
Oct 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM

My father's side of the family is also Rusyn, from right on the Slovakia/Poland border. My mother's side is Scottish/Irish/German.

hellas719
Oct 30th, 2012, 12:34 AM
I'm so boring I wish I had something else mixed with Greek :hysteric:

miffedmax
Oct 30th, 2012, 02:10 AM

Greek is cool!

Actually, all of the above are cool.

The Witch-king
Oct 30th, 2012, 06:10 AM

I don't know what's interesting about bragging about how you're a mix of English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh and British tbqf :lol:

A Magicman
Oct 30th, 2012, 10:37 AM
German with some good share of Baltic heritage (Old Prussian / Lithuanian)

Cajka
Oct 30th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I don't know what's interesting about bragging about how you're a mix of English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh and British tbqf :lol:

:rolls:

To answer, my grandparents are from Bosnia. :)

KournikovaFan91
Oct 30th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Irish - no mix that I'm aware of.

Tripp
Oct 30th, 2012, 08:09 PM
My great-grandparents were Jews from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. They came to Argentina in 1890 and were granted some lands in the province of Entre Ríos (they were one of the first waves of what they later called the "Jewish Gauchos") by Baron Maurice von Hirsch.

My dad still owns the original lands they were given, and there is a very old jewish colony nearby.

My mom's family was from Italy, as it happens with most people from Argentina.

Dominic
Oct 30th, 2012, 08:24 PM
French with some Italian

Michael!
Oct 30th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Just 100% German as far as I know, how boring :eek: :oh:

miffedmax
Oct 30th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Just 100% German as far as I know, how boring :eek: :oh:

Yes, but what parts of Germany?

My German ancestors are from Hesse (yes, they came here after getting letters from relatives who fought for the British telling them "Hey, come over here!) and Saxony.

I studied enough German history to know Germans have all sorts of opinions based on what kind of German you are! ;) :p

(My mother is a huge genealogy buff is how I know all this shit).

Michael!
Oct 30th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Yes, but what parts of Germany?

My German ancestors are from Hesse (yes, they came here after getting letters from relatives who fought for the British telling them "Hey, come over here!) and Saxony.

I studied enough German history to know Germans have all sorts of opinions based on what kind of German you are! ;) :p

(My mother is a huge genealogy buff is how I know all this shit).

Southwest part from Germany!
Mother´s family is from Swabian, near Stuttgart, where I also was born and live, father´s family is from South-Baden, near to Switzerland, some ancestors from Bavaria as well probably :lol:

McPie
Oct 31st, 2012, 02:11 AM
1/16 Khmer
1/32 Laotian

all the rest are Thais :p

Pump-it-UP
Oct 31st, 2012, 03:55 AM
Irish, Scottish, German

ArturoAce.
Oct 31st, 2012, 04:46 AM
75% Vietnamese, 25% Unknown European

Gonna get a DNA test one day- when I can fork up my own money. :lol:

Andy.
Oct 31st, 2012, 08:04 AM
Part Italian part English.

Yoncé
Oct 31st, 2012, 08:44 AM
Mainly Welsh, English, Finish and German.

GoofyDuck
Oct 31st, 2012, 09:02 AM
50% Dutch/ 50% German

Ashi
Oct 31st, 2012, 02:48 PM
South dravidian/kannadiga from Karnataka in South India.

BARBIE
Oct 31st, 2012, 03:59 PM
100% Aryans, as far as I know :shrug:

Sergius
Oct 31st, 2012, 07:32 PM
British (all of it, except Wales I think).

You're FlameOn, right?

IIRC, you once said that you were Orthodox. How is that possible if you're of British origin? I'd like to know the story, if that's not smth personal.¨
[OFF/]

Mistress of Evil
Oct 31st, 2012, 08:17 PM
a Savage Princess with not a 100% set in stone origin

The Dawntreader
Oct 31st, 2012, 09:01 PM
English, Irish and German.

Number19
Nov 1st, 2012, 08:59 PM
That's because they British government encouraged emigration to Ireland at one point (esp. from Scotland) to keep the Catholic natives in line, and it's why Northern Ireland has a Protestant majority.

A number of my ancestors came to the U.S. the same route. In the U.S. they're called "Scotch-Irish" and are considered to have played a major role in developing the culture of the Appalachians and the South--for better and for worse.

Thanks.

Just started reading How The Scots Invented the Modern World, and just read about this today. A couple a Scottish noblemen encouraged the settlement first then James I took advantage of the idea for the reason you stated. There was two waves of emigration: Scottish Highlanders from the western islands, then Lowlanders (which my family would part of) and some English.

400 years ago this happened.

Its always been weird that since I was a kid the Scottish in me is the only one I feel any connection to. Even before I knew. Anything of Irish or German culture just feels foreign. Got some serious Scotch running through my veins, I guess.

*JR*
Nov 2nd, 2012, 12:38 AM

Them orange bastards! :fiery: :devil: :armed:

kaO4XeHhwo8

Brena
Nov 2nd, 2012, 08:25 AM
Serbian, but my grandmother was from the north of Serbia and looked suspiciously like Attila the Hun (minus facial hair).

Princess Fiona
Nov 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
Welsh, English, Scottish, Irish and Italian.

rrfnpump
Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:49 AM
75% German, 25% Polish

dont speak Polish though.

McPie
Nov 3rd, 2012, 03:19 PM

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/9/9c/Vw_beetle.jpg

BARBIE
Nov 3rd, 2012, 04:08 PM

What does the pic represent ??? :scratch:

*JR*
Nov 3rd, 2012, 06:17 PM

That's an (original version) Volswagen Beetle. Piya was highlighting that the term Aryan is used differently in Europe, etc. than in India; referring to "blonde-haired, blue-eyed" Germanic ppl, hence the famous German car shown.

BTW, I'm of Eastern European (ethnically Jewish) ancestry, aka Ashkenazi.

miffedmax
Nov 3rd, 2012, 06:38 PM
75% German, 25% Polish

dont speak Polish though.

You're like the anti-Sabs. ;) (3/4 Polish, 1/4 German, speaks Polish).

ancestry, I know she is 100% German nationally.

BARBIE
Nov 3rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
That's an (original version) Volswagen Beetle. Piya was highlighting that the term Aryan is used differently in Europe, etc. than in India; referring to "blonde-haired, blue-eyed" Germanic ppl, hence the famous German car shown.

I don't know about that. I only know that the Aryans were people who migrated from central Asia to different parts of Europe and India. They settled in north India driving the Dravidian people to the south. So I may not be "blonde-haired, blue-eyed, white-skinned" but I am still Caucasian :shrug:

I am not so good in history, so I can also be wrong. But one thing I know is that none of my ancestors were Dravidian :shrug:

*JR*
Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:06 PM
I don't know about that. I only know that the Aryans were people who migrated from central Asia to different parts of Europe and India. They settled in north India driving the Dravidian people to the south. So I may not be "blonde-haired, blue-eyed, white-skinned" but I am still Caucasian :shrug:

I am not so good in history, so I can also be wrong. But one thing I know is that none of my ancestors were Dravidian :shrug:

Technically you're correct, but Piya was too, in humorously referring to the modern, common usage of the term Aryan (@ least in te West). It was made better known by Hitler having called the blond-haired, blue-eyed ppl of Northern Europe (probably including Scandinavians, but not Russians or other Slavs) "the master race". And Caucasian has become more of a commonly used term for white ppl in general, like the local area Philly band below, who are hardly Teutonic:

http://www.flamincaucasians.com/images/Flamin_Caucasians__Mirror.jpg

BARBIE
Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
Technically you're correct, but Piya was too, in humorously referring to the modern, common usage of the term Aryan (@ least in te West). It was made better known by Hitler having called the blond-haired, blue-eyed ppl of Northern Europe (probably including Scandinavians, but not Russians or other Slavs) "the master race". And Caucasian has become more of a commonly used term for white ppl in general, like the local area Philly band below, who are hardly Teutonic:

I don't care what Hitler said. Is it really that important what he said ???

So if people of the West don't think that I am an Aryan or Caucasian, then what exactly am I ??? How are they going to define me ???

Anyway, we were discussing about whether I am correct or not in thinking that I am an Aryan. And as I have said that Aryans have migrated to north India from central Asia, so I think technically, historically and scientifically, I was right to think that I am a descendent of the Aryans.

Keegan
Nov 3rd, 2012, 07:27 PM
Afrikaans and English. Further down the line it becomes more Dutch, English, Welsh and Scandanavian

Singleniacki
Nov 3rd, 2012, 08:26 PM
Not sure on 1 side, probs Irish/English or something, other side is an intersting mix, Canadian and Singaporean

*JR*
Nov 3rd, 2012, 09:16 PM

So if people of the West don't think that I am an Aryan or Caucasian, then what exactly am I ??? How are they going to define me ???

Anyway, we were discussing about whether I am correct or not in thinking that I am an Aryan. And as I have said that Aryans have migrated to north India from central Asia, so I think technically, historically and scientifically, I was right to think that I am a descendant of the Aryans.

I agree that you're technically correct, but in a "common usage of words in the West" sense, so is Piya, and so am I. BTW, I despise Hitler... but he did greatly increase Western usage of the "blond-haired, blue eyed" meaning of the word Aryan.

In terms of Caucasian, the Russians use the word differently than either you or I did above. To ppl there, it means somebody from the "southern rim" of the USSR, in outside of Russia's borders. Some of their territory (like Chechnya, South Ossetia, etc) are commonly called part of the Caucasus region.

How would most Americans, etc. define you? I guess mainly as Indian. :shrug: (Yes I know... a lot of Americans think an Indian is Apache, Cherokee, Iroquois, Sioux, etc). :o

kwilliams
Nov 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
To those with Scots-Irish heritage, your ancestors almost certainly didn't consider themselves Irish just as the descendants of the other Scottish settlers of that time don't consider themselves Irish today.

My father's family were originally from Fermanagh in what is now Northern Ireland but like many other families at that time were driven out (but thankfully not killed!) by the British. After centuries under British rule there is likely some English or Scottish blood in me but I shudder to think of the possibly tragic circumstances whereby it did...and that I might not even be here if it weren't for some kind of coercive or forceful act!

My father's family are quite dark, definitely black Irish, so I've often wondered if there is Spanish blood in me...possibly from the sunken armada!

I'm often mistaken for a local when I travel in Europe - in the Netherlands, Sweden, Germany, Austria (amongst others) and especially in France, Italy and Turkey. My skin's quite light but my hair is dark and I do tan (though not as much as I used to) but my eyes are blue, though quite a deep blue. Anyway, it's weird that I'm mistaken for a local all over Europe. I think I must be fairly mixed. I wonder if I have Hun/Mongol in me. I'd love to find out one day!!

BARBIE
Nov 4th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I agree that you're technically correct, but in a "common usage of words in the West" sense, so is Piya, and so am I.

Yes, so all the three of us are correct.

In terms of Caucasian, the Russians use the word differently than either you or I did above. To ppl there, it means somebody from the "southern rim" of the USSR, in outside of Russia's borders. Some of their territory (like Chechnya, South Ossetia, etc) are commonly called part of the Caucasus region.

Thank you for the lesson, but I didn't want to know what Russians think of the word Caucasian. It's common knowledge that they would use it differently.

How would most Americans, etc. define you? I guess mainly as Indian. :shrug: (Yes I know... a lot of Americans think an Indian is Apache, Cherokee, Iroquois, Sioux, etc). :o

I am curious. So if they are not gonna define me as Caucasian (which people think of as white-skinned, which is actually incorrect), then what race are they gonna define me ??? :unsure: If it is Indian, then how are they gonna define someone from Pakistan or Bangladesh ??? :confused:

debopero
Nov 4th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Thank you for the lesson, but I didn't want to know what Russians think of the word Caucasian. It's common knowledge that they would use it differently.

I am curious. So if they are not gonna define me as Caucasian (which people think of as white-skinned, which is actually incorrect), then what race are they gonna define me ??? :unsure: If it is Indian, then how are they gonna define someone from Pakistan or Bangladesh ??? :confused:

As Pakistani or Bangladeshi...

*JR*
Nov 4th, 2012, 02:34 PM

Let them find Pakistan and Bangladesh on a map first. :tape: BTW, there's another definition of Aryan, related specifically to Iran. Here are some Google links (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=aryan+iran&gbv=2&oq=aryan+iran). (Pakistan does get Western attention, as a nuclear nation next door to Afganistan). And the former East Pakistan (Bangladesh) was the subject of the first big relief rock concert in the US, in 1971:

mUVSz6ZrVWQ

miffedmax
Nov 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I think a lot of people in the West are well aware that Hitler's definition of "Aryan" is spurious.

I remember learning in high school even that they were a group that pushed down into India and Persia in ancient times and never went anywhere near Western Europe, nor where they the originators of "Western" culture.

BARBIE
Nov 4th, 2012, 02:53 PM
As Pakistani or Bangladeshi...

No, I didn't mean it in that way. I meant what race they would be. I guess I didn't express myself properly :unsure:

Let them find Pakistan and Bangladesh on a map first. :tape: BTW, there's another definition of Aryan, related specifically to Iran. Here are some Google links (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=aryan+iran&gbv=2&oq=aryan+iran). (Pakistan does get Western attention, as a nuclear nation next door to Afganistan). And the former East Pakistan (Bangladesh) was the subject of the first big relief rock concert in the US, in 1971

Interesting, thanks for the links :)

I think a lot of people in the West are well aware that Hitler's definition of "Aryan" is spurious.

I remember learning in high school even that they were a group that pushed down into India and Persia in ancient times and never went anywhere near Western Europe, nor where they the originators of "Western" culture.

Really ??? This is new information to me :unsure:

Ashi
Nov 4th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I was thinking about whether I am of the Aryan race. I definitely know for sure that my ancestors originated in Goa as Hindus but then migrated to Karnataka when they were converted to Christianity by the portuguese.

I even know my Hindu name & community which I ancestrally belong to. Some could have been forced to renounce christianity and convert to Islam under the reign of Tipu Sultan.

Here is a wiki page on the diaspora (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalorean_Catholics)

Since, my ancestors are from Goa I'd categorize myself as South Dravidian. My parents speak Kannada which is a dravidian langauge.

But, Indo-Aryans also migrated in to Goa.
So, as such I could be Aryan/Dravidian.:shrug:

This will have no bearing on the discussion, but Aryan is a very popular & common name in India. I swear atleast one or two kids are named Aryan in each of the classes I teach. :lol:

BARBIE
Nov 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I was thinking about whether I am of the Aryan race. I definitely know for sure that my ancestors originated in Goa as Hindus but then migrated to Karnataka when they were converted to Christianity by the portuguese.

This will have no bearing on the discussion, but Aryan is a very popular & common name in India. I swear atleast one or two kids are named Aryan in each of the classes I teach. :lol:

Ashi, in terms of looks also you don't look at all like a Dravidian, in fact, you look like a north Indian, maybe from the Himachal or Kashmir ;)

And yes, I agree about the name Aryan (or it's another form, Arya) being quite common :lol: :lol: :lol:

*JR*
Nov 4th, 2012, 04:08 PM

I'll bet you have a lot more Patels, though. :p (There's a joke in the US about "Patel Motels", that the Patels have more hotel-motel rooms than the Hiltons). ;) And I still say reverse the partition already, 65 years of it regardless. :shrug:

Ashi
Nov 4th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Ashi, in terms of looks also you don't look at all like a Dravidian, in fact, you look like a north Indian, maybe from the Himachal or Kashmir ;)

And yes, I agree about the name Aryan (or it's another form, Arya) being quite common :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: I've been told I could pass off as Irani or Parsi.

Ashi
Nov 4th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I'll bet you have a lot more Patels, though. :p (There's a joke in the US about "Patel Motels", that the Patels have more hotel-motel rooms than the Hiltons). ;) And I still say reverse the partition already, 65 years of it regardless. :shrug:
Well, Patel is a surname. :p There are more Shahs than patels though.
Why? What are your reasons in favour of it?

BARBIE
Nov 4th, 2012, 04:23 PM

I totally agree with them :hi5:

Also, you can be easily passed off as a Kashmiri :cool:

BARBIE
Nov 4th, 2012, 04:27 PM
And I still say reverse the partition already, 65 years of it regardless. :shrug:

You are not an Indian or a Pakistani living in the Indian subcontinent, so I think you should not comment on anything like that.

*JR*
Nov 4th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Why? What are your reasons in favour of it?

I guess I can't answer that, as Barbie has asserted PP (err, Postwhores Privilege) :rolleyes: to say that "outsiders" must not openly discuss this. :awww: So I'll just post the link to that 2009 NDTV debate (http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/the-big-fight/an-undivided-india/100356) on this stuff.

BARBIE
Nov 4th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I guess I can't answer that, as Barbie has asserted PP (err, Postwhores Privilege) :rolleyes: to say that "outsiders" must not openly discuss this. :awww: So I'll just post the link to that 2009 NDTV debate (http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/the-big-fight/an-undivided-india/100356) on this stuff.

It's only polite to answer someone, so if you want to answer Ashi's question, then go ahead and answer it.

Who am I to stop you from doing anything ???

*JR*
Nov 4th, 2012, 06:07 PM
It's only polite to answer someone, so if you want to answer Ashi's question, then go ahead and answer it.

Who am I to stop you from doing anything ???

Exactly my point, regarding...

You are not an Indian or a Pakistani living in the Indian subcontinent, so I think you should not comment on anything like that.

Ashi and I have discussed that B4, and I think she meant for me to state my rationale in a post. Which I don't feel like doing now, even if "Bossy Barbie" :shrug: now says its OK. You must be descended from Gandhi... Indira, not Mahatma.

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/southasia/History/Independent/Indira.html

"...and shrewd political leader. However, by 1973, Delhi and north India were rocked by demonstrations angry at high inflation, the poor state of the economy, rampant corruption, and the poor standards of living. In June 1975, the High Court of Allahabad found her guilty of using illegal practices during the last election campaign, and ordered her to vacate her seat. There were demands for her resignation.

"Mrs. Gandhi's response was to declare a state of emergency, under which her political foes were imprisoned, constitutional rights abrogated, and the press placed under strict censorship. Meanwhile, the younger of her two sons, Sanjay Gandhi, started to run the country as though it were his personal fiefdom, and earned the fierce hatred of many whom his policies had victimized..."

:shout: You cannot give or deny others the permission to discuss public issues like flipping a goddam lightswitch, your 25K posts a year here notwithstanding. If I had a kid in India, I'd be happy for Ashi 2B his or her teacher, but not you. :rolleyes:

BARBIE
Nov 4th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I am so happy that you don't want me to be your kid's teacher :)

Yay, that made my day !!! :)

brickhousesupporter
Nov 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Black Afican (Caribbean), Puerto Rican and Danish

McPie
Nov 4th, 2012, 11:36 PM

and besides, the words Aryans, most used by whom ;) the thinker of this car ;)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Cye_0dhZ2EM/TqlzTGtBqUI/AAAAAAAAA5M/1VwEU_cxLY8/s1600/918349-the-great-dictator.jpg

yeah, not this person, but I think you know the reference ;)

McPie
Nov 4th, 2012, 11:38 PM

Anyway, we were discussing about whether I am correct or not in thinking that I am an Aryan. And as I have said that Aryans have migrated to north India from central Asia, so I think technically, historically and scientifically, I was right to think that I am a descendent of the Aryans.

I hate to say this but those 'academician' referred us as a "mongoloid" :lol:

don't worry I have half-German cousin and half-American-Jewish cousin also :oh:

I agree that you're technically correct, but in a "common usage of words in the West" sense, so is Piya, and so am I. BTW, I despise Hitler... but he did greatly increase Western usage of the "blond-haired, blue eyed" meaning of the word Aryan.

this is sad, but true :spit:

there is some 'subtle answer' already, but read above then also ;)

McPie
Nov 4th, 2012, 11:43 PM

people mistaken me as American by my accent :p

McPie
Nov 5th, 2012, 02:05 AM
re-think again, about Aryan words used by Hitty, he maybe knew our languages :lol: as it means "civilized people", because of whities do have much more innovative than Asians in that time, so he might choose this word to describe Caucasians, that they are "Arya" now, nd you sir are still "hillbilly" :spit:

it's just a flipside thinking, you know :p

Ashi
Nov 5th, 2012, 12:32 PM
people mistaken me as American by my accent :p
I was talking about physical looks. My accent is totally Indian.;)

bulava
Nov 5th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Those who wish to watch and learn about the roots and past may get this one. This helps a lot to clear the confusion:

http://www.covershut.com/covers/BBC-The-Story-Of-India-Front-Cover-50613.jpg

http://www.pbs.org/thestoryofindia/about/episode_summaries

That's an excellent DVD series (PBS and BBC), almost 80% accurate work by Michael Wood. He may not be completely unbiased, but he doesn't suffer with Obsessed Prejudice Syndrome such as this idiot from BBC who covered the 2012 Formula 1 Indian Grand Prix. I wonder what this has to do with racing :rolleyes: Sky Sports were lame too:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2utp99c.jpg

BARBIE
Nov 5th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I hate to say this but those 'academician' referred us as a "mongoloid" :lol:

But aren't Thai people really Mongoloid ??? :unsure: If not, then what are they ??? I am curious :)

BARBIE
Nov 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM

:hi5:

BARBIE
Nov 5th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Those who wish to watch and learn about the roots and past may get this one. This helps a lot to clear the confusion:

http://www.covershut.com/covers/BBC-The-Story-Of-India-Front-Cover-50613.jpg

http://www.pbs.org/thestoryofindia/about/episode_summaries

That's an excellent DVD series (PBS and BBC), almost 80% accurate work by Michael Wood. He may not be completely unbiased, but he doesn't suffer with Obsessed Prejudice Syndrome such as this idiot from BBC who covered the 2012 Formula 1 Indian Grand Prix. I wonder what this has to do with racing :rolleyes: Sky Sports were lame too:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2utp99c.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion :)

And OMG please don't tell me they were referring India as "Land of snake-charmers" again :facepalm:

miffedmax
Nov 5th, 2012, 07:12 PM
http://s1.aecdn.com/images/models/VOLKSWAGEN_Passat-B4-1996_main.jpg

Otto and

http://img2.findthebest.com/sites/default/files/844/media/images/2012_Volkswagen_Golf_2-Door__1.png

Sabine prefer to think of this guy as their progenitor.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Ii6kdI6KbZY/Sjds4F6IKoI/AAAAAAAAV94/pI_Yzj5rXyc/s400/VW-Beetle_05.jpg

As did Marlene, Manfred and Sylvia, may they rev forever on that great Autobahn in the sky.

ToopsTame
Nov 5th, 2012, 07:34 PM
The negroid/caucasoid/mongoloid division of races doesn't have a lot of evidence to support it. It's a 19th century way of looking at people. Even if it were correct, Dravidians would still be classified as caucasoid. Indo-Aryan and Dravidian are only language groups. It is not possible to extrapolate genetic differences based on that, as much as people want to claim.

Novichok
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM
West African and French

DeucesAreWild
Nov 5th, 2012, 08:35 PM
German & Irish.

Kairi
Nov 5th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Black African (Caribbean), and East Indian.

antonella
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Armenian/Bulgarian(Varna/Essex,UK).

dybbuk
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:43 AM
French and Cherokee from my father's side, and full German from my mother's side.

DemWilliamsGulls
Nov 6th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Most African Americans over here are not 100% African (obviously, thats why we come in so many sexy shades of chocolate) but from talking with my kinfolks, we have cherokee indian in our bloodline and of course caucasian down the line as well. But on my job application, I choose BLACK or African American.

McPie
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:20 AM
But aren't Thai people really Mongoloid ??? :unsure: If not, then what are they ??? I am curious :)

Mongoloid, it is, couldn't be Negroid :spit:

do you know 'teasing' , Ashie? :p

McPie
Nov 6th, 2012, 06:22 AM

And OMG please don't tell me they were referring India as "Land of snake-charmers" again :facepalm:

PxjeL_et8ig

bulava
Nov 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM

You are welcome. I'm not pushing it, but one should watch that series to discover amazing past. Having said, I'm not the one who rests in the glories of the past. Anyway, this Harvard Institute of Economics Research paper concurs what was shown in that series:

India’s De-Industrialization Under British Rule: New Ideas, New Evidence
http://www.economics.harvard.edu/pub/hier/2004/HIER2039.pdf

One British employee remarked that a good section of media/politicians from some countries are like that. They whine about dust, dogs, cattle and try to put down by selective highlighting of the poverty levels, disease, road deaths etc. But they forget their own backyards! Remember, the pot calling the kettle black? :tape:

But why blame others? For sure we have a lot of work to do because the nation on the whole is still in developing state mainly because of the failed leadership since decades.

goat
Nov 7th, 2012, 12:37 PM
I am Hungarian, that is all. Hahaha no my father is Australian!

The Witch-king
Nov 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM

IKR I was like :o :o :o :o

wild.river
Nov 8th, 2012, 03:00 PM

:eek::eek: