PDA

View Full Version : Sad scenes in modern cinema.

Pops Maellard
Oct 16th, 2012, 01:29 AM
Poor bastard.

Bx5NIlmOa0Y

Yeah it's just a cartoon, but wow. The crowd...first they're all nice and cheering, then one idiot throws a tomato and they all turn. Reminds me of Roland Garros :angel:.

The egging scene of Drew Barrymore on "Never Been Kissed" is another that gets me. Poor bitch thought she'd landed the hottest and most popular guy in school to take to the prom :sad:.

Stamp Paid
Oct 16th, 2012, 02:04 AM
wH6KUrZopME
uuzNohk5cYw
I2P2b6YEm4Q

delicatecutter
Oct 16th, 2012, 02:14 AM
So many sad scenes in Melancholia but the last one is pretty bleak.

fcZWZhUozr4

tommyk75
Oct 16th, 2012, 02:25 AM
The death scene in "Terms of Endearment" and the prom scene in "Carrie" instantly come to mind. Also, this one may sound stupid, but the scene in "Dumbo" when Dumbo's mom is locked up but cradles Dumbo back and forth with her trunk through the bars... Oh, and I actually thought the ending of "8 Mile" was sad in a bittersweet way because even though Eminem triumphed at that rap-off; in the end, he just goes home, and not much has changed.

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 16th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Lets not forget Bette and Babs Hershey at the final beach scene in Beaches :awww:

Sally Struthers
Oct 16th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Cdulwp-v_Kg

At 3:30ish ... I shed a tear each time I see all that money go into the ocean :sobbing:

Dani12
Oct 16th, 2012, 06:03 AM
woFXnpXNqb4

:bigcry:

$uricate
Oct 16th, 2012, 06:32 AM
Ye8G8cqu27U

I cried like a baby.

Anyone who knows true love and finds their soulmate, only to give them up and do the right thing, knows the power of this scene.

This type of certainty comes but once in a lifetime.

Helen Lawson
Oct 16th, 2012, 09:39 AM
The hospital scene between Nomi and Cristal in Showgirls.

Doully
Oct 16th, 2012, 10:47 AM
UHMD_EqM61I&feature=related89DExoaB_AI

Deserves a mention.

Grave of the Fireflies too if anybody has seen that. I physically cannot bring myself to watch it again. One scene in particular stands out but the entire film is so harrowing. I was upset for some time after watching it.

Reptilia
Oct 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM
uuzNohk5cYw

This one came straight to mind. It left me so numb. A movie had never made me feel like that before, and hasn't since.

égalité
Oct 16th, 2012, 03:40 PM
The ending of Dancer in the Dark. Never cried like that at a movie ever. :o

Spoiler alert (obviously)
yu5f_T2wcRI

Sally Struthers
Oct 16th, 2012, 04:15 PM
BFH9ulksHs8

:sobbing:

Mikey.
Oct 16th, 2012, 05:50 PM
uuzNohk5cYw

Yes, this! :o Oh my fuck, that movie...

Also several scenes of Brokeback Mountain got me quite emotional, like the one where he hugs the shirt in the closet.

dybbuk
Oct 16th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Yes, this! :o Oh my fuck, that movie...

Also several scenes of Brokeback Mountain got me quite emotional, like the one where he hugs the shirt in the closet.

What about that movie with the gay boy who talks around with a chicken's head in his mouth that made you depressed for like a month?

Mikey.
Oct 16th, 2012, 05:55 PM
What about that movie with the gay boy who talks around with a chicken's head in his mouth that made you depressed for like a month?

LBR, Any gay-themed film that involves some sort of tragedy will probably make me depressed.

Super Dave
Oct 16th, 2012, 06:14 PM
The first half of Monster's Ball?

Effy
Oct 16th, 2012, 06:23 PM

yu5f_T2wcRI

this!
amazing movie :hearts:

Cilla
Oct 16th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Also, this one may sound stupid, but the scene in "Dumbo" when Dumbo's mom is locked up but cradles Dumbo back and forth with her trunk through the bars...

Yes, "Baby Mine" :sad: Every time I cry without fail :sad:

y7JvL2ap3Cg

Helen Lawson
Oct 16th, 2012, 10:16 PM
BFH9ulksHs8

My finest hour! :worship::worship:

Bismarck.
Oct 16th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Grave of the Fireflies too if anybody has seen that. I physically cannot bring myself to watch it again. One scene in particular stands out but the entire film is so harrowing. I was upset for some time after watching it.

Same. Remains to this day the only film that has really upset me.

Pops Maellard
Oct 16th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Cdulwp-v_Kg

At 3:30ish ... I shed a tear each time I see all that money go into the ocean :sobbing:
It was rather shady how she kept the diamond the whole time they were looking for it...and could've taken care of her grandbabies' futures with that thing :sobbing:.

Too bad this was never made. It's a great trailer fake.
vD4OnHCRd_4

The Dawntreader
Oct 16th, 2012, 11:59 PM
_fgTSa9ViWY

I always find this scene very committed, poignant and very sad. Jessica Lange is incredible.

PetraReeMona
Oct 17th, 2012, 12:46 AM
i_DXIaPDwog

:hysteric:

dybbuk
Oct 17th, 2012, 12:59 AM
I didn't find Requiem for a Dream sad at all. The movie was so exploitive and emotionally manipulative that I was just angry at the end of it. When the writer was clearly trying to build one horrible thing after another for an entire movie the emotional effect wears off.

I can cry easily at films. I'm not sure what "modern cinema" is since people seem to be posting old films. But the ones I found the saddest are Tokyo Story and Pather Panchali. When the mother dies and the father is just sitting there alone in Tokyo Story killed me. :o

But even worse was Pather Panchali when the little girl gets sick and dies after dancing in the rain. The music that was playing and the mother crying. I was seriously ugly sobbing. :sobbing:

Stamp Paid
Oct 17th, 2012, 02:02 AM

yu5f_T2wcRI
You found this to be sadder than the Scatterheart scene?
Selma's execution was definitely sad, but I think I expected it, so the blow was softened. But the Scatterheart scene was just the absolute manifestation of the tragedy for me. :tears:

young_gunner913
Oct 17th, 2012, 05:15 AM
j1VL-y9JHuI

This whole movie literally destroyed me but the little girl in the red coat hit me the hardest. When they showed her dead body on the wagon, I burst into tears and had to get up and be excused from class. Such a great movie but I'll never, ever watch it again.

ziros
Oct 17th, 2012, 06:04 AM
NH-8L1iZq20

Pops Maellard
Oct 17th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Gobsmacked that nobody nominated Sophie's Choice yet :speakles:. I haven't even seen that movie but just knowing what it's about makes me sad :sad:.

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 17th, 2012, 10:17 AM
BFH9ulksHs8

:happy:

I'm not embarrassed to say i have this on dvd :oh:

CrossCourt~Rally
Oct 17th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Yes, "Baby Mine" :sad: Every time I cry without fail :sad:

y7JvL2ap3Cg

:awww: This is the 2nd saddest cartoon scene next to when Bambi's mom gets shot :sobbing:

I also bawled when Old Yeller had to be taken out back and shot :sad:

~Cherry*Blossom~
Oct 17th, 2012, 08:17 PM
The entire ending of Set It Off. From the moment the last bank robbery goes wrong. Cry everytime I watch it. The music makes it even sadder.

kwilliams
Oct 17th, 2012, 10:23 PM
http://youtu.be/03BPiyoab10

Sad...and then funny.

PetraReeMona
Oct 17th, 2012, 10:34 PM
j1VL-y9JHuI

This whole movie literally destroyed me but the little girl in the red coat hit me the hardest. When they showed her dead body on the wagon, I burst into tears and had to get up and be excused from class. Such a great movie but I'll never, ever watch it again.

Oh I know ... that was so painful to watch :sad:

young_gunner913
Oct 18th, 2012, 06:37 AM
dM60tZnG3i8

I love the book and movie so much. This part always tears me up. :crying2:

skanky~skanketta
Oct 18th, 2012, 10:10 AM
dM60tZnG3i8

I love the book and movie so much. This part always tears me up. :crying2: This broke my heart. It was the first time I cried out loud without caring what anyone thought.

skanky~skanketta
Oct 18th, 2012, 10:22 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGx4pF0yfPU&feature=related

Pops Maellard
Oct 18th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Another Disney heartbreaker :o.

R6gSiaAXz1c

tommyk75
Oct 18th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Word on "Schindler's List." The ending with the stones... simply no words. That scene in "Sophie's Choice" was indeed crazy cathartic, but the movie was so boring up til then. And I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in being less than impressed with "Requiem for a Dream." I found it overstylized, manipulative, and ultimately pointless. I mean, drug mess up people's lives, YOU DON'T SAY! And that whole double dildo scene, ugh.

As for movies to add to the list, gotta give a shout out to "Longtime Companion." Just breaks your heart. And there's a scene in one of my all-time favorite movies "Stand By Me" when Wil Wheaton's older brother (John Cusack) dies and then his asshole father tells him, "It should've been you." I remember, I literally JOLTED when I saw that scene.

ampers&
Oct 18th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I love this thread. I live for sad and unbelievably depressing cinema. :hearts:

The final scene of The Boy In The Striped Pajamas was sad:

5-bR1WBOttU

As was most of The Grave of The Fireflies. Hardest scene for me:

6mdYPBIuhJY

Then this in Angels in America:

zVaHCxyVx1c

And totally ditts on Schindler's List and Requiem for a Dream. :hearts:

égalité
Oct 18th, 2012, 04:05 PM
-13ScnosXAk

This scene was too much for me, too. :o

NoppaNoppa
Oct 18th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I win

http://www.onlygoodmovies.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/requiem-for-a-dream-ending.jpg

Hmmmm. Only mensioned about dozen times...

tennismaster8820
Oct 18th, 2012, 05:24 PM
OxnkdiCu_bs

When Ofelia dies in Pan's Labyrinth and all the scenes after were very sad to me.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 18th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Cdulwp-v_Kg

This :sobbing::crying2:.

Pops Maellard
Oct 19th, 2012, 04:39 AM
The movieclips channel on Youtube sorts videoclips by mood. Maybe "Sentimental" or "Emotional" will turn up some good ones :oh:.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8AE1595DDD821F0C

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD78913CC90EE75F2

Barktra
Oct 19th, 2012, 05:00 AM
Can't believe nobody has mentioned this

-eHr-9_6hCg

This one was just :sad:

y688upqmRXo

woFXnpXNqb4

:bigcry:

I cried for that one, but I cried for this

zCNgNkAZqg4

Stamp Paid
Oct 19th, 2012, 05:04 AM
Crying from Disney endings? :unsure:

Barktra
Oct 19th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Disney has some really sad scenes when your a kid, they have a lot of emotionally scarring scenes when your a kid

-aFV1r45sAQ

Barktra
Oct 19th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Crying from Disney endings? :unsure:

I saw them when I was a kid :sobbing:

But toy story, no, I grew up with it and seeing them almost die :sad: that was just heartbreaking

PhilePhile
Oct 19th, 2012, 08:03 AM
xRhCz0ELrKs

FRK_i5UcMmE

Mattographer
Oct 19th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Marley & Me :sobbing:

Cilla
Oct 19th, 2012, 02:15 PM
The final scene of The Boy In The Striped Pajamas was sad:

5-bR1WBOttU

I was a complete mess after this movie. I hadn't read the book at this point & when it dawned on me what was happening...:sobbing:

Huntress55
Oct 20th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Marley & Me :sobbing:

:sad: I get so sad when animals die or get hurt in movies.

Ive never cried in a disney movie and I didnt like Requiem for a Dream.. didnt find it that sad just annoying really. It has been a while since Ive seen it.

I have to admit I cry in alot of movies so I could name alot :lol: I even cry in the cheesy movies.

Pay it Forward gets me everytime. Also Freedom Writers.
And yeah Schindler's List. Stepmom too.

I also remember going to the movies to watch A Walk to Remember and just thinking the story was so sad and when Shane West's character goes to his dad ... yeah that gets me too.

Cried like a baby when I first saw My Girl too.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM
From iMDb Top250 (Needs to know backround)

Mystic River
http://www.leffatykki.com/static/content/image/d684b444401a59213a5b3e0c5487a5a3.jpg

In the Name of the Father
http://www.mentecritica.net/wp-content/uploads/dm-in-the-name-of-the-father00.jpg

Gran Torino end scene.
Cinema Paradiso "The moment".
Questionable, but I´d add "7th" scene of "Seven" to this as well.

jameshazza
Oct 20th, 2012, 03:08 PM
A very random one, but in Shallow Hal after the whole hypnosis things over and then he sees the sweet little girl in the hospital with all the burn marks. :sobbing:

jameshazza
Oct 20th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I think Disney's saddest scene is Mufasa dying. It's not technically modern but Gone With The Wind is the ultimate tearjerker.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 20th, 2012, 03:28 PM
http://greg.org/archive/esso_de_cherbourg.jpg

Les Parapluies de Cherbourg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbY5fEYZus)

Mattographer
Oct 20th, 2012, 03:41 PM
:sad: I get so sad when animals die or get hurt in movies.

Ive never cried in a disney movie and I didnt like Requiem for a Dream.. didnt find it that sad just annoying really. It has been a while since Ive seen it.

I have to admit I cry in alot of movies so I could name alot :lol: I even cry in the cheesy movies.

Pay it Forward gets me everytime. Also Freedom Writers.
And yeah Schindler's List. Stepmom too.

I also remember going to the movies to watch A Walk to Remember and just thinking the story was so sad and when Shane West's character goes to his dad ... yeah that gets me too.

Cried like a baby when I first saw My Girl too.
I also cried in Pay It Forward :sobbing: Never watched it again since then. Same with Life is Beautiful :lol: