PDA

View Full Version : Bullied teenager commits suicide after leaving a YT video

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 04:09 PM
A teenager posted a heartbreaking video on YouTube chronicling years of bullying in school and online, cutting and humiliation up until she died this week.

Amanda Todd, 15, posted the video called "My story: Struggling, bullying, suicide, self harm" on Sept. 7 and was found dead in her home town of Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, just over a month later.

"Hello, I've decided to tell you about my never ending story," the black and white video begins. Todd can only be seen from her nose down for most of the video, occasionally moving around so that her face is visible. She silently tells her story through a series of white cards with black marker writing on them.

She describes using webcam chats to meet and talk to new people online as a seventh grade student. She said that people told her she was "stunning, beautiful, perfect" and a man pressured her to flash her chest. One year later, she did.

Todd received a Facebook message from a man she did not know saying that if she did not "put on a show" for him, he would send the photo of her chest to everyone. Over Christmas break, Todd said police came to her house at 4 a.m. to tell her that the photo had been sent to everyone.

"I then got really sick and got anxiety, major depression and panic disorders," she wrote. "I then moved and got into drugs and alcohol."

A year after moving, Todd said things were going better until the man on Facebook came back and used the photo of her chest as his profile picture. Todd said she "cried every night, lost all my friends and respect people had for me again."

"I can never get that photo back," she wrote. "It's out there forever."

She described being called names, eating lunch alone and resorting to cutting herself. She also told the story of an incident where she made a "huge mistake" and "hooked up" with a boy at her school who had a girlfriend, but who she believed really liked her.

A week later, she said she received a text message telling her to get out of school and then a group of students, led by the boy's girlfriend, surrounded her at school and said, "Look around, nobody likes you."

"A guy then yelled, 'Just punch her already,' so [the girlfriend] did," Todd wrote. "She threw me to the ground and punched me several times. Kids filmed it. I was all alone and left on the ground."

Todd said she "wanted to die so bad" when her dad found her in a ditch. She drank bleach when she went home and had to be rushed to the hospital to have her stomach pumped, she said.

"After I got home, all I saw was on Facebook--'She deserved it. Did you wash the mud out of your hair? I hope she's dead,'" she wrote.

Todd moved to another school in another city, but said the torture followed her through Facebook. Students posted photos of ditches and suggested she try another bleach.

"Every day, I think, why am I still here?" she asked towards the end of the video. "I'm stuck. What's left of me now? Nothing stops. I have nobody. I need someone. My name is Amanda Todd."

Authorities were called to a residence in Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, just before 6 p.m. on Oct. 10 to investigate the sudden death of the tormented teenager.

While authorities have not officially called the death a suicide, Cpl. Jamie Chung of the Coquitlam Royal Canadian Mounted Police said in a statement, "At this time it has been determined that the teen's death was not suspicious in nature and that foul play was not a factor."

The coroner is investigating the death, police said.

Teenager Documents Bullying and Abuse Before Her Death

Todd said in her video that she did not want to press charges against the girl who beat her up because she ?wanted to move on? when she moved to another city and school.

Police did not immediately respond to ABCNews.com's question whether there was a probe into the man who used Todd's Facebook photo in an effort to exploit her and then made it public.

Phoebe Prince's Mom Confronts Bullies Watch Video
Todd's family has declined to speak, but Cheryl Quinton, spokeswoman for the Coquitlam School District, told ABCNews.com, "The family was wanting to pass along that several supports were in place for their daughter on the school, home and community levels. There was a lot of intervention and a lot of support. I know that is the message that they want to convey."

Todd was in the tenth grade at the Coquitlam Alternate Basic Education School when she died. School officials would not release the name of her previous school.

Quinton said the death has been "very devastating" to the small school where resources are being provided to students in regards to suicide prevention and bullying.

"We typically, as a school district, don't talk about such deaths but with the family's endorsement we did choose to do so because it is important to point out the dangers associated with social media and cyber-bullying," Quinton said.

Source (http://abcnews.go.com/International/bullied-teen-amanda-todd-leaves-chilling-youtube-video/story?id=17463266#.UHmDkm8xptd)

The video :

ej7afkypUsc

... :sad: :sad:
No words. I legit thought it was a fake story but alas no. I can't believe it. Just for boobs ? JFC. Then just because you had an affair with a dude? Wow... The Youtube comments are even worse. Some are like "glad she died" , "well I can't blame them for beating her up because she slept with a taken dude blablah she deserved it". This world is so messed up.
Teens are so cruel...

Bismarck.
Oct 13th, 2012, 04:29 PM
A very, very tragic story. It sounds to me that the guy who blackmailed her was one of her teachers.

Steven.
Oct 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM
that's so heartbreaking, how can people be so cruel, fucks sake :sad:

Sammo
Oct 13th, 2012, 04:39 PM
That's fucking sick. It only proves that the only way to live a happy life is by not giving a fuck about what people think about you. May she rest in peace :sad:

pov
Oct 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM
If she'd gone Columbine most would be saying that the responsibility for her actions would be on her. IMO that she killed herself doesn't shift that responsibility. To me, that level of bullying is twisted but her response to it is on her. In fact, I think the fact that many people are acting like these suicides are an effect of bullying is partly why they're increasing. I'd guess that there has been no increase in bullying, HS has always been a place that was horrific for some. What I think would help is setting up programs that teach how to deal with it, how to be strong, what steps to take and most of all providing people that the kids trust to be in their corner.

And what's up with her folks? Some guy is posting things on Facebook about their 14yo and they don't handle it? They know about the photo and they don't take steps to set her up with help to get through the mental and emotional turmoil?

Bismarck.
Oct 13th, 2012, 04:48 PM
And what's up with her folks? Some guy is posting things on Facebook about their 14yo and they don't handle it? They know about the photo and they don't take steps to set her up with help to get through the mental and emotional turmoil?

How would they have known? Most parents don't check what their kids do on Facebook and there's no way that a 14-year-old will own up to something like that voluntarily. It seems like they did the most they could do by moving the family to a different place after the photo had spread.

silverwhite
Oct 13th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Disgusting. Those involved will be haunted by her death for the rest of their lives

A very, very tragic story. It sounds to me that the guy who blackmailed her was one of her teachers.

Interesting. What makes you think so?

Mary Cherry.
Oct 13th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Moral of the story: don't post your boobs on the interweb.

On a serious note, I'm hella glad everyone's life didn't revolve around Facebook and Skype when I was at school. All these kids on Twitter are posting about how terrible the story is but in reality, they probably post awful things on the Internet every day. Like One Direction fans who keep threatening to "cut" the "haters" :o

Bismarck.
Oct 13th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Interesting. What makes you think so?

In the Huffington Post article about this topic, it said that the blackmailer knew everything about her: address, phone number, school, names of close family members and other relatives, which is info that a teacher would have easy access to and probably isn't something she would reveal to some stranger online, nor is it something you would give randomly to an acquaintance of your own age. That would also explain how he could have spread it to everybody she knew so quickly.

Nicolás89
Oct 13th, 2012, 05:19 PM
OMFG I'm so glad I've never had to deal with facebook when I was growing up. I only started to care for it when I got to college.

silverwhite
Oct 13th, 2012, 05:20 PM
In the Huffington Post article about this topic, it said that the blackmailer knew everything about her: address, phone number, school, names of close family members and other relatives, which is info that a teacher would have easy access to and probably isn't something she would reveal to some stranger online, nor is it something you would give randomly to an acquaintance of your own age.

That would also explain how he could have spread it to everybody she knew so quickly.

It could be someone she chatted with regularly for a certain period of time? Look at TF :o Besides, there is so much personal data online nowadays. A few pieces of info is enough to lead you to more...

FB friends list? :scratch:

But yeah, definitely could have been a teacher or someone she knew IRL

Bismarck.
Oct 13th, 2012, 05:31 PM
It could be someone she chatted with regularly for a certain period of time? Look at TF :o Besides, there is so much personal data online nowadays. A few pieces of info is enough to lead you to more...

FB friends list? :scratch:

But yeah, definitely could have been a teacher or someone she knew IRL

Your suggestions are probably more likely, but I can't imagine somebody who she chatted with regularly would immediately be that threatening or malicious because they could probably have got what they wanted through an easier way of coercion. From the tone of that article (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/11/amanda-todd-suicide-bullying_n_1959909.html), it definitely made it seem like it was older guy with easy links to her who was doing this.

LeRoy.
Oct 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Too many young boys and girls trying to do things just to be popular in school. :o Sad story.

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 05:34 PM
True Silver.

After all, a few Serena fans threatened me by PM just because I was a Justine fan. :smash: They knew my full name, my city, etc.

Mary Cherry.
Oct 13th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Too many young boys and girls trying to do things just to be popular in school. :o Sad story.

This. Teenagers' lives basically revolve around validation they seek/get from the Internet these days. The fact the girl posted this video telling her story is proof of that.

LeRoy.
Oct 13th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Being popular in school is not that big of a deal. Eating lunch by yourself isn't the worst thing that can happen to a kid. Don't give into peer pressure just to be popular. Too many misplaced priorities among children in this era of facebook, twitter and instagram. :facepalm:

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Being popular in school is not that big of a deal. Eating lunch by yourself isn't the worst thing that can happen to a kid. Don't give into peer pressure just to be popular. Too many misplaced priorities among children in this era of facebook, twitter and instagram. :facepalm:

Loneliness can be very hard to deal with.

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM
This. Teenagers' lives basically revolve around validation they seek/get from the Internet these days. The fact the girl posted this video telling her story is proof of that.

Actually I don't understand, how is that different than publishing an autobiography book for instance ?

Mary Cherry.
Oct 13th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Actually I don't understand, how is that different than publishing an autobiography book for instance ?

Publishing a book would be for $$$.

Teenagers do things for attention.

EDIT: Normally the type of person to release an autobiography would be a celebrity. Plenty of teens these days think they can become some sort of online celebrities - more friends 'likes' on Facebook, more followers on Twitter, etc. It's too easy for them to attention seek these days...but it's also too easy for it all to go horribly wrong.

Nicolás89
Oct 13th, 2012, 06:17 PM

Everyone, everywhere at any age do any thing to get attention. That's why humans are categorized as social animals.

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Publishing a book would be for $$$.

EDIT: Normally the type of person to release an autobiography would be a celebrity. Plenty of teens these days think they can become some sort of online celebrities - more friends 'likes' on Facebook, more followers on Twitter, etc. It's too easy for them to attention seek these days...but it's also too easy for it all to go horribly wrong.

Not always.

I forgot her name but there was that woman in France who lived in the banlieues of Paris, and yeah she got burnt alive. She somehow survived, and yeah she wrote a book about her past and it. I don't think it's for $$$$, actually in most of these cases, the $$$ is given to organizations, etc...

And I don't think there's anything wrong with publishing a video online about your despair. It was a cry for help.... that has not worked sadly.

Mary Cherry.
Oct 13th, 2012, 06:35 PM
Everyone, everywhere at any age do any thing to get attention. That's why humans are categorized as social animals.

Like I said in the exact same post, the fact it's so easy for them (or anyone) to get attention means it's so easy for them to get the wrong sort of attention as well, and on a much bigger scale.

Not always.

I forgot her name but there was that woman in France who lived in the banlieues of Paris, and yeah she got burnt alive. She somehow survived, and yeah she wrote a book about her past and it. I don't think it's for $$$$, actually in most of these cases, the $$$ is given to organizations, etc...

And I don't think there's anything wrong with publishing a video online about your despair. It was a cry for help.... that has not worked sadly.

I'm not even slamming her for posting a video, I'm saying that's what kids do these days and that's partly why they have it so hard.

Feel free to keep going out of your way to disagree with me though.

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 06:46 PM
I'm not even slamming her for posting a video, I'm saying that's what kids do these days and that's partly why they have it so hard.

Feel free to keep going out of your way to disagree with me though.

The last sentence was not necessary :unsure: but yeah ok, I misinterpreted your post, sorry.

I thought that as you said "that's what kids do these days to have validation", it sounded like "well she made that video because she wanted to be popular".

Nicolás89
Oct 13th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Like I said in the exact same post, the fact it's so easy for them (or anyone) to get attention means it's so easy for them to get the wrong sort of attention as well, and on a much bigger scale.

That wasn't what I was refering to though, you were classifying this issue as a "teenage situation" I was just adding it happens to everyone.

DeucesAreWild
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:01 PM

My sentiments. Far too many looking for validation in and from things that really don't matter.

saint2
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Its sick what happen to the youth today.

Effy
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:16 PM
OMFG I'm so glad I've never had to deal with facebook when I was growing up. I only started to care for it when I got to college.

this.

what a cruel world we live in :sad:

saint2
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:22 PM
what a cruel world we live in

Its not world. Its screwed up kids. Wait till facebook generation will grow up.
Im glad Im going to die young, so I won't have to watch what will happen with the world then.

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Its not world. Its screwed up kids. Wait till facebook generation will grow up.
Im glad Im going to die young, so I won't have to watch what will happen with the world then.

Wut ? There are so many screwed up adults in this world :help:

wtf ? :confused: are you ill? :sad:

saint2
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Wut ? There are so many screwed up adults in this world

Sure they are, but these kids are worse... Bullying someone trough facebook ? Searching for friends by webcam ? In what world Im living ?

wtf ? are you ill?

Except 2 mental disorders Im no willing to talk about, I think im healthy.
Its just people like me don't live long.

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Sure they are, but these kids are worse... Bullying someone trough facebook ? Searching for friends by webcam ? In what world Im living ?

It's no worse than a dude raping and killing kids (Dutroux for instance).

Except 2 mental disorders Im no willing to talk about, I think im healthy.
Its just people like me don't live long.

Because of your mental disorders or is it totally unrelated ? Sorry for being so nosey :o :sad: I am sorry.

saint2
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:05 PM
It's no worse than a dude raping and killing kids (Dutroux for instance).

Screwed up people are everywhere. But current teens are more screwed up IMO. Im sure that if that girl wasn't that much into facebooks, webcams and other shit, she'd be alive...Maybe even happy.

Because of your mental disorders or is it totally unrelated ? Sorry for being so nosey I am sorry.

No one dies because of mental disorders... Not directly at least. However, they may have impact on certain life choices. So I don't know excatly how much related this is. One thing Im sure- my life is not "normal" by any means...

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Not sure if by mental disorders, you just meant mental or brain illnesses as well. I am a bit confused tonight :p

saint2
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Not sure if by mental disorders, you just meant mental or brain illnesses as well. I am a bit confused tonight :p

Im not a doctor, so I can't tell you. I basically don't even understand your post...Brain ilnesses, like cancer ? No, its not my case. Im pretty sure my disorders aren't lethal.

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Im not a doctor, so I can't tell you. I basically don't even understand your post...Brain ilnesses, like cancer ? No, its not my case. Im pretty sure my disorders aren't lethal.

Yeah or neuronal illnesses. Anyway.

saint2
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Yeah or neuronal illnesses. Anyway.

Well, doctor who diagnosed me was psychiatrist, not neurosurgeon. So here you have answer...

Certinfy
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Sad to read.

But really why do teenagers or anyone like this even post their personal stuff online, or have Facebook or anything if this is the case? Surely after a while deleting these social connections is the smart option or are people really that stupid?

saint2
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Sad to read.

But really why do teenagers or anyone like this even post their personal stuff online, or have Facebook or anything if this is the case? Surely after a while deleting these social connections is the smart option or are people really that stupid?

I still don't know what excatly facebook is used for ?
Never used it, I only have fake account, bc I wanted to vote in one of these dumb contests made by WTA, and I needed a FB to do it.

Wert.
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Why didn't she simply delete her facebook :tears:

RIP

Certinfy
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:30 PM
I still don't know what excatly facebook is used for ?
Never used it, I only have fake account, bc I wanted to vote in one of these dumb contests made by WTA, and I needed a FB to do it.
Same here mate, I only have an account as sometimes there's options for liking pages which then donates money to charity, which is too good to miss.

But from what I gather it's a social network where people want to share their pictures and life stories to hundreds (from what i've seen people seem to somehow have this many 'friends') of people. Also seems like a good stalking tool from what I've heard, seems many people use it to stalk people they like or whatever, too weird for my liking.

Never seen the need of it personally, all my friends (and thankfully we're not talking in the hundreds here) I speak too I call or text, simple as, and if I need to show them a picture I'll send it to them, not show everyone at the same time.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's the impression I've got from it.

adam_ads_n
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Oh God... this is just awful.

I must say that Internet is killing a lot of human feelings in people, this happens here as well. Many people use it to be popular for being controversial and this controversy leads to cruelty in many cases. I think that the more cruel they people were to her, the more satisfaction they got... just awful.

Girl was obviously very weak mentally and her parents did not know how to cope with this. Going to psychiatrist should be just one step of a few...

Helen Lawson
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:34 PM
I'm sorry she's dead, but when you bang some other chick's guy and get tormented as a result, especially in high school, that's pay-back, not bullying.

young_gunner913
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:35 PM
If she'd gone Columbine most would be saying that the responsibility for her actions would be on her. IMO that she killed herself doesn't shift that responsibility. To me, that level of bullying is twisted but her response to it is on her. In fact, I think the fact that many people are acting like these suicides are an effect of bullying is partly why they're increasing. I'd guess that there has been no increase in bullying, HS has always been a place that was horrific for some. What I think would help is setting up programs that teach how to deal with it, how to be strong, what steps to take and most of all providing people that the kids trust to be in their corner.

You're joking right? Bullying has not only increased in High Schools, it's also gained more power than ever before. With the internet age upon on us, bullying has become so much easier than the face to face combat it used to be. Now people can spread gossip, pictures, videos, etc. and it can be seen by hundreds or thousands of people instead of just a few tens of people at school.

Most schools have already set up programs for teachers to learn how to help students who are being bullied and how to recognize bullying when it's happening so they can put an end to it. Unfortunately, very few kids are stupid enough to bully another kid right in front of a teacher/adult and most victims are far too scared/embarrassed to bring it up to a teacher/parent/adult so it goes unnoticed.

And if you don't think these suicides are in correlation to bullying, what do you think they're in correlation too? :weirdo: School lunch on Friday wasn't pizza? Spirit week got canceled? They don't have a date to the pep rally? No, you moron. These kids are being bullied and terrorized in such ways thanks to the ever growing technology we have, that they don't know how to deal with things and automatically think killing themselves is the best way to get out of a tough situation.

What I pick up from your post is that you're old and out of touch with how things actually are today. Maybe instead of thinking everything is sunshine and a gallon of gas cost a dime, you should try looking at all the pressures high school students are dealing with these days. And it's not just high school students, it's elementary school students and even college students.

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:40 PM
I'm sorry she's dead, but when you bang some other chick's guy and get tormented as a result, especially in high school, that's pay-back, not bullying.

WHAT ????!!!

No, because actually she helped the girlfriend to find out her boyfriend was an asshole who just wanted sex behind her back. :shrug: Plus then... If I was the girlfriend, I would just dump his sad ass and stop speaking to the girl if we were friends. I would not beat her up. No one deserves it just for hooking up with a taken dude. Plus, it always happens IRL, cheatings are so common nowadays.

Helen Lawson
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:49 PM
WHAT ????!!!

No, because actually she helped the girlfriend to find out her boyfriend was an asshole who just wanted sex behind her back. :shrug: Plus then... If I was the girlfriend, I would just dump his sad ass and stop speaking to the girl if we were friends. I would not beat her up. No one deserves it just for hooking up with a taken dude. Plus, it always happens IRL, cheatings are so common nowadays.

That's an odd way to look at it. If some chick bangs one of the fags I'm usually stuck with, I don't view it as this dame doing me a favor. Anne didn't see it that way when Neely banged Lyon and Anne was dubbed "Loser of the Week" in the trade rags.

debby
Oct 13th, 2012, 11:07 PM
That's an odd way to look at it. If some chick bangs one of the fags I'm usually stuck with, I don't view it as this dame doing me a favor. Anne didn't see it that way when Neely banged Lyon and Anne was dubbed "Loser of the Week" in the trade rags.

The one guilty (when you don't know the chick and even if you do, it's not the most guilty one) is your boyfriend, period.

Helen Lawson
Oct 13th, 2012, 11:19 PM
The one guilty (when you don't know the chick and even if you do, it's not the most guilty one) is your boyfriend, period.

I don't think the chick needed to be branded with a scarlet "A" or anything, but when you screw some other broad's guy, you're sort of putting yourself out there for some harassment. The time I blew some guy in the men's room at the Cubbyhole, only to have his boyfriend come in and interrupt us, I sort of had it coming when my wig got torn off and I had to put a scarf on my head and sneak out through the back kitchen.

young_gunner913
Oct 14th, 2012, 12:04 AM
:hysteric:

Cajka
Oct 14th, 2012, 12:47 AM
But really why do teenagers or anyone like this even post their personal stuff online, or have Facebook or anything if this is the case?

They are not adults to think that way. They are very sensitive at that age and they will do many irrational things to be accepted among their peers. They don't think about consequences, they don't think that anything bad can happen.

As for those who said that it's not such a big deal to eat alone. Yes, when you're an adult, it's natural that you feel that way, but school kids are different, their biggest fear is to be without friends.

I remember my first day at high school. I was very shy and I was frightened because I thought I'd never make new friendships. When I found first friends it was a huge relief.

hablo
Oct 14th, 2012, 07:11 PM
I hope the pedo who convinced her to flash her breasts when she was in grade 7 gets caught. :rolleyes:

This is sad...

Fighterpova
Oct 14th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Omg I feel so sad for her :sad:

Dominic
Oct 14th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Absolutely disgusting ppl in this story, I hope they'll be haunted for the rest of their lives.

jameshazza
Oct 15th, 2012, 12:17 AM
I don't like how these videos are promoted more than success stories or credible anti-bullying campaigns. I really feel that all the attention these kids get when they kill themselves is NOT the message to be sending to insecure/mentally unstable teens who are crying out for help.

Ryan
Oct 15th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Amazed at how many assholes are in this thread. Nevermind, I'm not. This forum breeds bullies and idiots.

Lord Choc Ice
Oct 15th, 2012, 12:34 AM
:sad:

The Witch-king
Oct 15th, 2012, 11:57 AM
I don't think the chick needed to be branded with a scarlet "A" or anything, but when you screw some other broad's guy, you're sort of putting yourself out there for some harassment. The time I blew some guy in the men's room at the Cubbyhole, only to have his boyfriend come in and interrupt us, I sort of had it coming when my wig got torn off and I had to put a scarf on my head and sneak out through the back kitchen.

:facepalm:
mistake #1 : wearing a wig during oral exams

Sammo
Oct 15th, 2012, 02:05 PM
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/486801_446186575447420_1067558952_n.jpg

SilverSlam
Oct 15th, 2012, 02:54 PM
^ I hope you realise how stupid you sound.

Obviously you don't, though, otherwise you wouldn't post this photo.

The bullying she relieved was more than cyber bullying.

WhoAmI?
Oct 15th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Sad to read.

Well when she flashed she didn't use her real name (as I understand from the video), why else would she say Don't know how he knew me when she got the message on Facebook. And since this person somehow knew all the contacts of the people close to her, it's not as easy as pressing Ignore. If this message didn't come through Facebook, it could have come through phone, e-mail, plain mail, or whatever.

It's one big mistake she did to expose herself, but a very high price to pay. This picture is/was out there, and even if she moved past it, it would have probably haunted her all of her life. For example, applying a job to McDonalds could have been difficult with this picture to be the first thing to pop up about her on internet.

shap_half
Oct 15th, 2012, 06:53 PM

That's part of the point. Teenagers seeking validation from their peers is nothing new - there's just a brand-new format for it. The internet is making it increasingly fuss-free to be as hateful as you want to be to others. (You only have to look at threads in TF for examples.) These are not the same challenges that people who were born in the '80s and older had to face. It's not a question of toughening these kids up - nothing can prepare a teenager from being exploited like this girl was.

Cajka
Oct 15th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Well when she flashed she didn't use her real name (as I understand from the video), why else would she say Don't know how he knew me when she got the message on Facebook.

She showed it to her flashed in front of her "friends". Some of them were obviously not friends.

WhoAmI?
Oct 15th, 2012, 10:27 PM
She showed it to her flashed in front of her "friends". Some of them were obviously not friends.

She describes using webcam chats to meet and talk to new people online as a seventh grade student. She said that people told her she was "stunning, beautiful, perfect" and a man pressured her to flash her chest.
I suppose it worked like virtual club or something:shrug:, you go together but can also talk privately to someone you're interested in.

Cajka
Oct 15th, 2012, 10:45 PM
I suppose it worked like virtual club or something:shrug:, you go together but can also talk privately to someone you're interested in.

It makes sense.

Bismarck.
Oct 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM
According to Anonymous, the guy who blackmailed her was a Facebook employee.

debby
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:14 PM

wut

omg this is scary.

young_gunner913
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:20 PM

Anonymous is on the trail? :unsure: That guy is FUCKED. :tape:

debby
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Anonymous is on the trail? :unsure: That guy is FUCKED. :tape:

Yup I just read the story. Even more disgusting. I don't care, if he is indeed guilty (which is likely lbr), then I really don't care about what happens to him.

Anonymous was outraged at that, and decided to find the one who did that to the kiddo. So they tracked the sites, and hacked that dude's personal computer and they have found many many pictures of Amanda Todd when she was 12, including some that were not published on Facebook but on... pedophiles sites :help: :help: :help: :help:

So Anonymous has given away his name and his address, so the police is currently protecting him just in case people would actually hunt him down.

For me , there are two sad things :
- Anonymous has likely found the guilty before the police
- That happened AFTER her death.

young_gunner913
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Yup I just read the story. Even more disgusting. I don't care, if he is indeed guilty (which is likely lbr), then I really don't care about what happens to him.

Anonymous was outraged at that, and decided to find the one who did that to the kiddo. So they tracked the sites, and hacked that dude's personal computer and they have found many many pictures of Amanda Todd when she was 12, including some that were not published on Facebook but on... pedophiles sites :help: :help: :help: :help:

So Anonymous has given away his name and his address, so the police is currently protecting him just in case people would actually hunt him down.

For me , there are two sad things :
- Anonymous has likely found the guilty before the police
- That happened AFTER her death.

Holy fuck. :tape: What kind of position does this guy have at Facebook? :tape:

The scariest thing about Anonymous is that they have the power to plant evidence. I doubt they did this time but what's to stop them in the future from taking out people through their computers by planting shit like child porn or terrorism activity. :scared:

debby
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:33 PM

The scariest thing about Anonymous is that they have the power to plant evidence. I doubt they did this time but what's to stop them in the future from taking out people through their computers by planting shit like child porn or terrorism activity. :scared:

omg you are right ://////////// God, it's so scary.

PhilePhile
Oct 17th, 2012, 02:56 AM

But literally impossible to make it credible evidence because of they way computer communication works. However, everything on the net can be traced to its source (federal security laws).