PDA

View Full Version : Moscow | Kremlin Cup

MK Ultra
Oct 13th, 2012, 03:40 PM
http://img.championat.com/news/big/u/x/marija-kirilenko_13501360711403892186zag.jpg
Kiri did the draw. Didn't make it easy for herself.

[1]S.STOSUR v BYE
[Q] v A.CORNET
K.ZAKOPALOVA v A.CADANTU
[WC]M.GASPARYAN v [8]L.SAFAROVA

[4]A.IVANOVIC v BYE
[Q] v [Q]
G.VOSKOBOEVA v [Q]
S.HALEP v [6]N.PETROVA

[5]D.CIBULKOVA v E.MAKAROVA
V.LEPCHENKO v T.PIRONKOVA
U.RADWANSKA v F.SCHIAVONE
BYE v [3]C.WOZNIACKI

[7]M.KIRILENKO v E.VESNINA
Y.SHVEDOVA v A.PAVLYUCHENKOVA
B.JOVANOVSKI v S.ARVIDSSON
BYE v [2]M.BARTOLI

Hopefully she'll do great at least in doubles.

peterlein
Oct 14th, 2012, 02:44 PM
not the easiest draw for kiri, tough quarter

vesnina is a tricky opponent and is in a good shape at the moment

it's their third meeting, maria won both matches in three sets

btw., what a lovely pic :inlove:

Ollie.
Oct 14th, 2012, 04:14 PM
If Maria beats Elena, her R2 could be very tough too...:sad:

King Aaron
Oct 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM
All the best Maria, Moscow has always been tough. :kiss:

Phesto
Oct 15th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Does anyone (perhaps someone who knows Russian) know what Maria sometimes says after she wins a big point? I don't mean "Davai!" -- I understand that one. It looks like "Nishu" or "Misho" or something hopefully similar. Elena Dementieva used to say it a lot as well after she won a point.

Thanks in advance if you can help me out here!

MK Ultra
Oct 15th, 2012, 05:58 PM
You mean otlichno? Kiri doesn't really say it much, though.

peterlein
Oct 15th, 2012, 10:42 PM
You mean otlichno? Kiri doesn't really say it much, though.

...and what does that mean?

btw., kiri and nadia won their doubles match against the pliskova twins, but it was a really close one. They won the first set after 0-3* down 6-4, lost the 2nd 4-6 and eventually won it in the super tiebreak, 11-9....puhhh ;)

next are Lee-Waters/Moulton-Levy from the USA, DAVAI!! :cheer:

Phesto
Oct 16th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Yes, that must be it! I think the "Ot" part is not stressed sometimes, so it sounds more like "lichno".

MaKiri rulezzz: looked it up on an old thread called "Otlichno" on the forum -- it means "excellent".

Thanks MK Ultra, I've been wondering what it was for a while.

NYKiriFan
Oct 16th, 2012, 02:59 PM
...and what does that mean?
btw., kiri and nadia won their doubles match against the pliskova twins, but it was a really close one. They won the first set after 0-3* down 6-4, lost the 2nd 4-6 and eventually won it in the super tiebreak, 11-9....puhhh ;)
Yikes. They really are just squeaking by in every match. I assume Maria is not close to 100%. Their American rivals for the YEC are clearly playing better at this point, so those rooting for Maria not to qualify could get their wish soon. But I think it'd be great if they can still pull this off.

Remix13
Oct 17th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Maria won 7-5 6-1 after saving a SP at 4-5*

Next is Shvedova.

peterlein
Oct 17th, 2012, 05:36 PM
ok, so nearly a perfect day for kiri, had groenefeld/peschke won their match against kops-jones/spears....but they wasted 3 mp's in the super-tiebreak, from 9-6 to 9-11 :mad:

nice win for maria in singles, she played pretty well in the 2nd set :yeah:

next is slava shvedova, it's their third meeting. Slava won 2 years ago on clay, but maria won 2009 in cincinnati, in two sets.

They will play as the 2nd match on the centre court tomorrow, DAVAI Maria!!! :cheer:

in doubles, kiri/nadia had no problems in set 1, taking it by 6-1. Then they lost the 2nd set 3-6, and in the super-tiebreak they finally won 10-7! :cheer: very close again, but a win is a win :p

well, kops-Jones/spears will have to win other two matches to go to istanbul now..

the cat
Oct 18th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Tough singles draw for Kiri. :mad: This is a much tougher field than Moscow had in 2010 when Maria last played there.

Time for Kiri and to split up as a doubles team but stay friends of course. :)

Remix13
Oct 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
OK Maria won 7-5 6-4 after being 1-5 down in first set :worship:

Next is Arvidsson who slaughtered the Big Barto.

peterlein
Oct 18th, 2012, 02:06 PM
OMG, what a match, I am dead :D

huge comeback from kiri to win the first set after 1-5 down, EPIC!! :worship:

she was totally on fire, that's the kiri from this summer!!

next is arvidsson, who beat kiri in their only meeting at the begin of the season in Sydney Q...will be another tough one

DAVAI MARIA!! :cheer:

Celeborn
Oct 19th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Today was the first match i could watch this week... Maybe it's my fault...

She played without any energy :(. I don't know, but she wasn't herself today. Such a big wasted chance. Arvidson did nothing except keeping the ball in play, somehow this was enough. Wasted opportunity.

peterlein
Oct 19th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Today was the first match i could watch this week... Maybe it's my fault...

She played without any energy :(. I don't know, but she wasn't herself today. Such a big wasted chance. Arvidson did nothing except keeping the ball in play, somehow this was enough. Wasted opportunity.

yeah, apparently, something was wrong with her. She didn't find the right weapons to disturb arvidsson's game. Still, Maria had her chances in the 2nd set, when she broke back to *2-3, and when the netcord helped her saving a matchpoint at 30-40. Then, she even had a breakpoint for *4-5, but she unfortunately couldn't convert it. Could have been a turnaround..
or not...it just wasn't her day

let's hope for more luck tomorrow in the doubles

Protoss
Oct 20th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maria/Petrova hold for 7-5 6-4 at 40-30 from 30-0 to 30-15 to 40-15 (2nd serve there). :) Great job Maria/Petrova. :) The match was 1 hour 38 minutes long.

Maria/Petrova were down 3-1 2nd set and I believe led 5-3 1st set.

Congrats on making it to the YEC Maria!!! :)

peterlein
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:11 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maria/Petrova hold for 7-5 6-4 at 40-30 from 30-0 to 30-15 to 40-15 (2nd serve there). :) Great job Maria/Petrova. :) The match was 1 hour 38 minutes long.

Maria/Petrova were down 3-1 2nd set and I believe led 5-3 1st set.

Congrats on making it to the YEC Maria!!! :)

so deserved!!! :banana:

I hope they can grab the title in moscow too now!!

so maria plays 2 YEC's this season, who would have thought that? :worship:

Ollie.
Oct 21st, 2012, 04:30 PM
Yay MaKiri! :cheer: It would be amazing if she won Sofia...keeping my fingers crossed. :D

Protoss
Oct 21st, 2012, 04:56 PM
Maria/Petrova win the 2nd set 6-1. :) Please win the super tiebreak Maria/Petrova. The match is 1 hour 6 minutes long.

Maria/Petrova lost the 1st set 6-3.

Protoss
Oct 21st, 2012, 05:12 PM
No. Makarova/Vesnina win the super tiebreak 10-8 from 8-4 (2 minibreaks) to 8-5 (2nd serve) to 8-7 to 9-7 to 9-8 (2nd serve). :( :sad: The match was 1 hour 22 minutes long.

the cat
Oct 24th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Nice Moscow tournament for Maria. :rolleyes: She loses to Arvidsson in her hometown on her home court? Unreal. :mad: Kiri's singles game has been a disaster since the Olympics. And Kiri and Nadia lost the Moscow doubles final in a close match. Gee what a surpise. :rolleyes: But they made the doubles YEC so good luck to them there.

As for Kiri's offseason I hope she gets away from tennis because she needs a good start to 2013 to make up for her terrible finish to 2012. She has alos played 10 years on the WTA Tour so I would like for her to hire a personal trainer to travel with her and help her recover from the physically draining matches and travel. The rigors of the tour have to be so hard to deal with.

Maria's major events this year deserve the grades of C (Australian Open), F (French Open), B+ (Wimbledon) and F (U.S. Open). I think those are fair grades. Kiri sure had some highs and lows this year.

MK Ultra
Oct 24th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Dude relax. She has a back and knee injury. She was sick against Arvidsson. She played 3 tournaments after the USO and only completed 1 match before Moscow. She exceeded my expectations in Moscow by winning 2 matches and she played great against Shvedova. Arvidsson also almost beat Wozniacki. As for the doubles, Kiri and Nadia's goal wasn't to win the tournament. The SF was the real final for them. And now she's going to Istanbul.

Celeborn
Oct 25th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Yeah, she played a very good tournament in Moscow, nothing to be worried about. I think this season was her best so far, both in achievements as in her level of play. For me that was top 10 worthy whenever she was fully healthy. Perhaps minus the clay season.

Personally I think she should cut down her doubles schedule and totally focus on singles. I think a berth into the top 10 is not out of question then, although of course she would need some luck as well.

peterlein
Oct 26th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I do agree with you, MK Ultra and Celeborn!

...it's maria's best season ever, she probably will end it in the top 15! That's awesome!!
and her game hasn't been a disaster since the olympics, not at all!
Let's look back:
her first tournament after these amazing olympics was cincinnati, where she had to play venus williams in R1. Yeah she lost, but it was close, and it's not a shame to lose to venus.
Then she easily reached the final in new haven, and she really had chances to win it against an in-form petra kvitova.
At the USO, she played great against scheepers, and in R3 against hlavackova she didn't feel well and there were first signs of an injury (she wore a knee tape)
In september, she had to withdraw from seoul and tokyo due to a back injury. Her comeback match at beijing was tough, makarova is a tricky opponent

Yeah and at moscow, she showed some great tennis and a big fight in the first two rounds. Unfortunately, she picked up a cold right for the QF against arvidsson. So she was without energy and lost it. She still managed to secure a place at the YEC in the doubles.

So I guess her season after the olympics wasn't that bad, considering her injuries and some bad luck.

the cat
Oct 28th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Fair points. But if Kiri has been injured and sick this past fall with knee and back issues and an illness then she should cut back on her schedule in the future. No doubt the grind of the tour after 10 years is wearing on Maria. It would anybody.

Umshyi
Nov 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM
yeah, apparently, something was wrong with her. She didn't find the right weapons to disturb arvidsson's game. Still, Maria had her chances in the 2nd set, when she broke back to *2-3, and when the netcord helped her saving a matchpoint at 30-40. Then, she even had a breakpoint for *4-5, but she unfortunately couldn't convert it. Could have been a turnaround visit this (http://www.niceledlights.com)..
or not...it just wasn't her day

let's hope for more luck tomorrow in the doubles

If she had used key moments it would have been easy win for her