PDA

View Full Version : Taliban shoot 14-year-old Pakistani schoolgirl campaigning for peace

fifty-fifty
Oct 11th, 2012, 02:27 AM
By Jibran Ahmad

PESHAWAR, Pakistan, Oct 9 (Reuters) - Taliban gunmen in Pakistan shot and seriously wounded on Tuesday a 14-year-old schoolgirl who rose to fame for speaking out against the militants, authorities said.

Malala Yousufzai was shot in the head and neck when gunmen fired on her school bus in the Swat valley, northwest of the capital, Islamabad. Two other girls were also wounded, police said.

Yousufzai became famous for speaking out against the Pakistani Taliban at a time when even the government seemed to be appeasing the hardline Islamists.

The government agreed to a ceasefire with the Taliban in Swat in early 2009, effectively recognising insurgent control of the valley whose lakes and mountains had long been a tourist attraction.

The Taliban set up courts, executed residents and closed girls' schools, including the one that Yousufzai attended. A documentary team filmed her weeping as she explained her ambition to be a doctor.

"My friend came to me and said, 'for God's sake, answer me honestly, is our school going to be attacked by the Taliban?',"

Yousufzai, then 11, wrote in a blog published by the BBC.

"During the morning assembly we were told not to wear colourful clothes as the Taliban would object."

The army launched an offensive and retook control of Swat later that year, and Yousufzai later received the country's highest civilian award. She was also nominated for international awards for child activists.

Since then, she has received numerous threats. On Tuesday, gunmen arrived at her school and asked for her by name, witnesses told police. Yousufzai was shot when she came out of class and went to a bus.

Taliban spokesman Ehsanullah Ehsan said his group was behind the shooting.

"She was pro-West, she was speaking against Taliban and she was calling President Obama her ideal leader," Ehsan said by telephone from an undisclosed location.

"She was young but she was promoting Western culture in Pashtun areas," he said, referring the main ethnic group in northwest Pakistan and southern and eastern Afghanistan. Most members of the Taliban come from conservative Pashtun tribes.

Doctors were struggling to save Yousufzai, said Lal Noor, a doctor at the Saidu Sharif Teaching Hospital in the Swat valley's main town of Mingora. (Writing by Katharine Houreld; Editing by Robert Birsel)

http://www.trust.org/alertnet/news/taliban-shoot-14-year-old-pakistani-schoolgirl-campaigning-for-peace/

fifty-fifty
Oct 11th, 2012, 02:30 AM
_8TBa278v1Y

fifty-fifty
Oct 12th, 2012, 02:48 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/11/world/asia/pakistan-erupts-in-anger-over-talibans-shooting-of-malala-yousafzai.html?_r=0

Pakistanis Unite in Outrage Over Girl’s Shooting by Taliban

The Crow
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:44 AM
This is utterly despicable. If this won't turn the general opinion in Pakistan against the Taliban, I don't know what will.

Sammo
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Is anyone slightly surprised? Talibans should be erradicated from Earth, and I think Obama's doing a great job with that.

Really hope she recovers

tennismaster8820
Oct 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM
I hope she will survive and recover.
It's very sad, such a brave girl!
I can't believe anyone could justify it. :(

Super Dave
Oct 12th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Subhumans...:fiery:

Melange
Oct 12th, 2012, 04:55 PM
This is utterly despicable. If this won't turn the general opinion in Pakistan against the Taliban, I don't know what will.

The two are basically the same thing. Pakistan considers Afghanistan to be its own territory. So if you think of what is happening, America is giving aid to Pakistan, which funds the Taliban, who are supposedly at war with America. Bad news for American tax payers and soldiers. Great news for American military industry. :yeah:

Melange
Oct 12th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Which is why America should stop allowing idiot president to get into deadend wars designed to enrich his interest groups

Londoner
Oct 12th, 2012, 05:34 PM
This thread could seriously go off topic and become a political slangathon.

Let's focus on this poor girl's situation. I heard on Radio 4 a (male) supporter say that when she recovers (and surely we all hope she does) she will continue to campaign. I remember reading The Handmaid's Tale - the most prophetic novel I have personally ever read. War won't solve the situation, education, enlightenment, and the actual population of these countries are the only real solutions.

Melange
Oct 12th, 2012, 07:03 PM
education is a big factor or the taliban would not be trying so hard to stop it

adam_ads_n
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:46 PM
I know that this region is quite radical, but how can anyone (simply anyone) hurt a 14-year-old girl.

I hope she will recover fast, but her story is heartbreaking, really.

saint2
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Trying to kil somebody bc of political views is sick. And I hope we all agree on that. Shooting at underaged girl is sick. And I hope we all agree on that.

But WHAT THE HELL 14 years old girl was doing at political manifestation ???
In civilised countries voting age is 18. Why the children are supposed to "protest" ?

Shvedbarilescu
Oct 13th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Trying to kil somebody bc of political views is sick. And I hope we all agree on that. Shooting at underaged girl is sick. And I hope we all agree on that.

In civilised countries voting age is 18. Why the children are supposed to "protest" ?

Because she had plenty to protest about. She was being deprived the right to go to school and listen to music just for starters. If I was a 14 year old girl being denied these basic rights I'd protest too.

Beat
Oct 15th, 2012, 09:34 AM
despicable, low and purely evil.

having an opinion? fighting for a better life? just because voting age is generally 18 doesn't mean a 14 y.o. girl can't have a political stance. yousufzai has been writing a much-noticed blog since the age of 11.

madonna ... :facepalm:

Londoner
Oct 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1183099!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/madonna15f-1-web.jpg

Madonna strips down to support Pakistani girl

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/madonna-strips-support-malala-article-1.1183100#ixzz29Jp4jmsi

Madonna took a break from stripping on stage for her fans’ cheers on her “MDNA” tour to baring her flesh for a cause.

The Material Girl addressed the plight of 14-year-old Malala Yousafzai - the Pakistani girl who was shot twice in the head by a Taliban thug for being an activist for women’s education - during her concert Wednesday night at Los Angeles’ Staples Center.

Then the 53-year-old pop-star put an exclamation point on her political protest by dedicating an on-stage strip tease to the girl, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"This made me cry," Madonna told the crowd, "The 14-year-old Pakistani girl who was shot on a schoolbus for writing a blog about how important education was to her. The Taliban stopped her bus and shot her ... Do you understand the sickness and absurdity of this?”

She then shouted to the Los Anglinos: "Support education! Support the people who support women!”

That message wasn’t enough, however, for Madonna.

Later in the show, she dedicated her song, “Human Nature” to the young Pakistani hero - but not before stripping down into a black bra and panties.

Turning around, she revealed the name “Malala” scrawled across her back, NBC’s “Today” reported.

I have a concern with celebs like Madge using such cases to raise their own profile, oops I mean celebs thinking they are being supportive by stripping off to their knickers. I'm sure this is not what the women of Pakistan are striving for.

Pops Maellard
Oct 15th, 2012, 10:50 AM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1183099!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/madonna15f-1-web.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/madonna-strips-support-malala-article-1.1183100#ixzz29Jp4jmsi

:unsure:

Rocketta
Oct 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM
This little girl is a true hero and I hope she gets better and her family are able to get out of there for her safety. :hug:

If anyone's interested in reading or watching stories about other female hereos around the world should read the book 'Half the Sky' by Kistoff and WuDunn There is a DVD documentary which is very powerful.

Rocketta
Oct 15th, 2012, 10:54 AM
and I agree Madonna stripping in support of this girl is kind of idiotic..... there's a lot more educational things she could have done for her concert crowd than showing her body... we get it madonna you have a very nice body for an old person.... it's now to the point where that's a big old who cares. :yawn:

Bijoux0021
Oct 15th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Madonna could have shown her support for Malala without the stripping part. It would have been more effective.

The little is a hero. Tears came to my eyes when I first read about her story last week. Those cowards men who attempted to assassinate her said they will try again if she doesn't die. :devil:

I hope she fully recovers and is kept safe. The world needs her voice.

Bijoux0021
Oct 15th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Malala Yousafzai: Girl attacked by Taliban sent to UK for treatment

Malala Yousafzai will require prolonged care to fully recover physically and psychologically, says military spokesman

Reuters in Islamabad
guardian.co.uk, Monday 15 October 2012 02.55 EDT

http://i45.tinypic.com/1y7lvn.jpg
Malala Yousafzai was shot and wounded by Taliban gunmen in Swat on 9 October. Photograph: T Mughal/EPA

The Pakistani schoolgirl who was shot by Taliban gunmen for pushing for girls to be educated has been sent to the UK for medical treatment, a military spokesman said on Monday.

The spokesman said in a statement that 14-year-old Malala Yousafzai, whose shooting has drawn widespread condemnation from within Pakistan and abroad, will require prolonged care to recover fully physically and psychologically.

The spokesman said an air ambulance transporting Malala, provided by the United Arab Emirates, had departed from Islamabad and was heading for Britain.

"The panel of doctors recommended that Malala be shifted abroad to a UK centre which has the capability to provide integrated care to children who have sustained severe injury," said the spokesman in a statement.

Malala has become a potent symbol of resistance against the Pakistani Taliban's efforts to deprive girls of an education.

Pakistanis have held protests and candlelight vigils but government officials have refrained from publicly criticising the Taliban by name over the attack, in what critics say is a lack of resolve against extremism.

Opponents of Pakistan's government and military say the shooting is another reminder of the state's failure to tackle militancy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/15/malala-yousafzai-treatment-uk

*JR*
Oct 15th, 2012, 03:06 PM
This little girl is a true hero and I hope she gets better and her family are able to get out of there for her safety. :hug:

I agree, as I don't think she could be safe there except in a military garrison, which (her being a defacto prisoner) defeats the purpose to begin with. I also don't think the continued American military presence helps (especially as the Taliban can point to many innocent civilian killings in US drone attacks) as the occupation increases the incentive for them to go after "soft targets" like such dissidents. Have we learned nothing from the Iraqi and Afghan guerrilla wars against us and our sympathizers?
:confused:

Sammo
Oct 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM

http://animalderuta.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/mark.gif

HippityHop
Oct 15th, 2012, 08:27 PM

While I agree with you, the premise is very culture centric. The fact is that there are cultures in this world that don't think that political freedom is a value that should be respected. There are cultures that don't believe that women should be educated. That conflicts with Western values in particular. But unless you are willing to go to war with these cultures to impose your beliefs on them(as they are willing to impose their beliefs on you) well...........

Melange
Oct 15th, 2012, 08:50 PM
I have a concern with celebs like Madge using such cases to raise their own profile, oops I mean celebs thinking they are being supportive by stripping off to their knickers. I'm sure this is not what the women of Pakistan are striving for.

at the same time, society is at a point where this is the only way to get people's attention

Pops Maellard
Oct 15th, 2012, 10:53 PM
She didn't die :cheer:. Hopefully she recovers in Britain and it's probably in her best interest to stay there.

Halardfan
Oct 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM
There are reports that some people have tried to gain access to the hospital in Britain claiming to be relatives of hers. Thankfully they didn't get far.

They were arrested though its thought they were just ghoulish, curious types rather than actual threats.

I do wonder whether this poor girl can be safe anywhere.

Bijoux0021
Oct 16th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I doubt she's going to be safe anywhere. The Taliban says it's not done with her, and has threatened her family and vowed to kill her.

We can only imagine how angry those cowards are that she's still alive. They definitely want to finish her off. Even if she fully recovers, she'll never be able to live a normal life. :sad:

fifty-fifty
Oct 18th, 2012, 12:40 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/shot-pakistani-girl-responding-well-treatment-184336861.html

BIRMINGHAM, England (AP) — A teenage Pakistani girl shot in the head by the Taliban for promoting girls' education has responded well to treatment and impressed doctors with her strength, the British hospital where she was being treated said Tuesday.

Experts are optimistic that 14-year-old Malala Yousufzai, who was airlifted Monday to Britain to receive specialized medical care, has a good chance of recovery because unlike adults, the brains of teenagers are still growing and can adapt to trauma better.

"Her response to treatment so far indicated that she could make a good recovery from her injuries," the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in central England's Birmingham said in a statement.

Despite the early optimism, the full extent of Malala's brain injuries has not been made public and outside experts cautioned it is extremely unlikely that a full recovery of all her brain's functions can be made. Instead, they could only hope that the bullet took a "lucky path" — going through a more "silent," or less active — part of the brain.

"You don't have a bullet go through your brain and have a full recovery," said Dr. Jonathan Fellus, chief scientific officer at the New Jersey-based International Brain Research Foundation.

Malala was returning home from school in Pakistan last week when she was targeted by the Taliban for promoting girls' education and criticizing the militant group's behavior when they took over the scenic Swat Valley where she lived. Two of her classmates were also wounded in the attack and are receiving treatment in Pakistan.

She arrived Monday in Britain, where she can be protected from follow-up attacks threatened by the militants. The Taliban have threatened to target Malala again because she promotes "Western thinking."

There was some concern for the teenager's safety Tuesday when police stopped and questioned two people who tried to visit Malala, but hospital officials and police stressed there was no threat to the girl's safety. The two people, who claimed to be Malala's relatives, were turned away.

"We think it's probably people being over-curious," hospital spokesman Dr. Dave Rosser said.

Pakistani doctors at a military hospital earlier removed a bullet from Malala's body that entered her head and headed toward her spine. The military has said she was able to move her legs and hands several days ago when her sedatives were reduced. They have not said whether she suffered any brain damage or other permanent damage.

On Monday, the military said damaged bones in Malala's skull will need to be repaired or replaced, and she will need "intensive neuro rehabilitation." The decision to send the girl abroad was taken in consultation with her family, and the Pakistani government will pay for her treatment.

Doctors say Malala has an advantage because teens are generally healthier and their bodies have a stronger ability to react to the disruption that the injury causes.

"It helps to be young and resilient to weather that storm," Fellus, at the International Brain Research Foundation, said. "Because her brain is continuing to develop at that age, she may have more flexibility in the brain."

There's also a psychological aspect to why youngsters have a better shot at recovery. While injured adults often mourn the loss of what they had, teens don't know what they are missing.

"They have an amazing capacity for hope," Fellus said. In Malala's case, her strong personality would also help her recover, he added.

Still, experts cautioned that it is impossible to say how Malala will do without knowing the path of the bullet and what damages it caused, details that have not been released.

"The brain is like real estate," said Dr. Anders Cohen, chief of neurosurgery at The Brooklyn Hospital Center in New York. "Location is everything.

"Based on the information we have, it appears that Malala was shot from the front down diagonally, but we don't know what part of the brain the bullet went through, whether it crossed the midline and hit any vessels, or whether the bullet passed through the right or left side of the brain."

The attack on the girls horrified people in Pakistan and across the world. Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari said Malala had become "a symbol of all that is good in us."

"The work she did is far higher before God than that which is being done by terrorists in the name of religion," he said at the Economic Cooperation Organization Summit in Baku, the capital of Azerbaijan. "We will continue her bright work."

Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik has announced a $1 million bounty for Pakistani Taliban spokesman Ahsanullah Ahsan, saying he was the one who announced that the Taliban carried out the attack on Malala.

___

Associated Press Writers Cassandra Vinograd and Jill Lawless in London, Aida Sultanova, in Baku, Azerbaijan, and Sebastian Abbot in Islamabad, Pakistan, contributed to this story.

Pops Maellard
Oct 18th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Wow, didn't know she was shot in the brain before...:eek:.

*Nefertiti*
Oct 18th, 2012, 05:25 AM
The sad thing about being terrorized by Islamists only because you are a female, something that I went through, is observing the whole world not helping you.
I just hope the UN, at least say it loud and clear that they stand with females in middle-east against discrimination from Islamists.

Islamists intentionally terrorize females on all levels. I will never forgive them for frightening me just because I am a female. Taliban is the natural end product of the Islamists "ideas" or whats called political islam "ideas".

Taliban tried to kill Mallala cause she's an example of a female who can say no. Lol You are not even allowed to say yes, according to them you are only allowed to be born, to go from your father's house to marry, and then be berried. I know you'll think I am exaggerating, but they actually believe the underlined is a guideline from the prophet about "good" women. If for some reason this woman wants to get out of the house, she has to wear like all the cloths in her closet, preferably black!

I will give you examples of what they consider guidelines from the prophet that they keep telling us:

1- A married woman made her father go to heaven, why? Because while he was dying she asked her husband to see her father, but her husband refused, she obeyed her husband, that was a proof that her father raised her so well so he went to heaven!

2- Dont ask men why they beat their women! :confused:

3- Most people in hell are Women!! :rolleyes:

4- Every Muslim man has virgin wives in heaven, and if the earthy wife makes him sad, the heaven wives will curse her all the way while she's sleeping. :lol:

5- Every woman is allowed to have one husband, every man is allowed to have 4 wives and endless number of sex slaves. A man can divorce his wife immediately even by sending a letter while abroad, women need to file for a divorce and wait for mercy.

I dont know if Mallala is going to have her full brain functions again, I just hope she finds peace and happiness again.

kwilliams
Oct 18th, 2012, 06:00 PM
So shocking and reprehensible. I hope for every young girl they try to intimidate or attack, 10 others rise up to take their place. I'd like to know what happened to the bystanders too! This young girl is admirable and completely newsworthy but she wasn't the only one hurt in the attack!!

HippityHop
Oct 18th, 2012, 07:20 PM
The sad thing about being terrorized by Islamists only because you are a female, something that I went through, is observing the whole world not helping you.
I just hope the UN, at least say it loud and clear that they stand with females in middle-east against discrimination from Islamists.

Islamists intentionally terrorize females on all levels. I will never forgive them for frightening me just because I am a female. Taliban is the natural end product of the Islamists "ideas" or whats called political islam "ideas".

Taliban tried to kill Mallala cause she's an example of a female who can say no. Lol You are not even allowed to say yes, according to them you are only allowed to be born, to go from your father's house to marry, and then be berried. I know you'll think I am exaggerating, but they actually believe the underlined is a guideline from the prophet about "good" women. If for some reason this woman wants to get out of the house, she has to wear like all the cloths in her closet, preferably black!

I will give you examples of what they consider guidelines from the prophet that they keep telling us:

1- A married woman made her father go to heaven, why? Because while he was dying she asked her husband to see her father, but her husband refused, she obeyed her husband, that was a proof that her father raised her so well so he went to heaven!

2- Dont ask men why they beat their women! :confused:

3- Most people in hell are Women!! :rolleyes:

4- Every Muslim man has virgin wives in heaven, and if the earthy wife makes him sad, the heaven wives will curse her all the way while she's sleeping. :lol:

5- Every woman is allowed to have one husband, every man is allowed to have 4 wives and endless number of sex slaves. A man can divorce his wife immediately even by sending a letter while abroad, women need to file for a divorce and wait for mercy.

I dont know if Mallala is going to have her full brain functions again, I just hope she finds peace and happiness again.

This won't happen. However you will probably be denounced by the usual suspects.

fifty-fifty
Oct 19th, 2012, 09:14 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/doctors-shot-pakistani-girl-improving-104128047.html

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/fYoD9wp8.VUoYRPB5mRYxA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9MTEyNDtjcj0xO2N3PTE1MDA7ZHg9MD tkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcDtoPTQ3MztxPTg1O3c9NjMw/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2012/10/19/AP715482184053-jpg_141334.jpg

LONDON (AP) — The British hospital treating a 15-year-old Pakistani girl shot in the head by the Taliban raised hopes for her recovery Friday when doctors said she was able to stand with some help and to write.

Malala Yousufzai appeared with her eyes open and alert as she lay in a hospital bed, in the first photographs released by the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham since she arrived from Pakistan on Monday.

It was a series of positive developments since the shooting, which was a brazen bid by the Taliban to silence the girl, who has been an outspoken advocate for girls' right to education.

Still, doctors said she shows signs of infection and faces a long, difficult recovery with uncertain prospects.

"She is not out of the woods yet," hospital medical director Dr. Dave Rosser said. "Having said that, she's doing very well. In fact, she was standing with some help for the first time this morning when I went in to see her."

He said Malala had agreed to the release of medical information and photos, and wants to thank people throughout the world for their interest and support in the difficult days since she was gunned down in Pakistan.

He said her bullet wound has become infected.

A large bruise beneath her left eye could be seen in the photo released Friday, showing Malala in her hospital bed with a toy bear. The upbeat report galvanized Malala's many backers, who had feared the worst.

Bakhtawar Bhutto Zardari, daughter of the late Pakistani leader Benazir Bhutto, described Malala's progress as wondrous.

"Miracles of today: Malala able to stand," she tweeted.

Canadian writer and journalist Irshad Manji celebrated the girl's progress on Twitter: "So listen up world; Miracle Malala has more 2 say."

Brain injury experts stressed, however, that she is at the start of what will be a long process.

Dr. Jaime Levine, medical director of brain injury rehabilitation at the Rusk Rehabilitation unit at NYU Langone Medical Center in Manhattan, said Malala's ability to stand with assistance and move her arms was a "wonderful sign," but the doctor said it was too soon to say whether she would make a complete recovery.

"For some, recovery from a brain injury is a lifelong process," Levine said. "Some people are left with limitations for the rest of their lives. We speak about recovery in terms of goals and function. For a 15-year-old girl attending school with the promise of her whole life in front of her, goals for her are to finish school and to have a job one day and to have a family. ... But we're not talking about those goals yet. We're talking about short-term goals."

Malala has come to be a symbol for a girl's right to education.

At the age of 11, she began writing a blog under a pseudonym for the BBC about life under the Taliban in the Swat Valley. After the military ousted the militants in 2009, she began publicly speaking out about the need for girls' education. She appeared frequently in the media and was given one of the country's highest civilian honors for her bravery.

Malala was shot and critically wounded on Oct. 9 as she headed home from school in the northwest Swat Valley. The Taliban said they targeted Malala, a fierce advocate for girls' education, because she promoted "Western thinking" and was critical of the militant group.

The Taliban attack was widely condemned.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon condemned the shooting as a "heinous and cowardly act," and U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said the "attack reminds us of the challenges that girls face, whether it is poverty or marginalization or even violence just for speaking out for their basic rights."

Malala was flown from Pakistan to Birmingham on Monday for advanced medical treatment and for security protection. She was in a medically induced coma when she arrived, and regained consciousness on Tuesday, the hospital said.

The medical briefing Friday offered the first real indication of her progress. Earlier briefings were quite limited out of respect for the girl's privacy.

She is in Britain alone. Hospital officials have been in touch with her family in Pakistan.

Rosser said the girl "is communicating very freely, she is writing" but not speaking because she has a tracheotomy tube in her throat.

"We have no reason to believe that she would not be able to talk once this tube is out, which it may be in the next few days," Rosser said.

Scans have revealed some physical damage to her brain, but "at this stage we're not seeing any deficit in terms of function," Rosser said.

"She seems able to understand. She's got motor control, she's able to write.

"Whether there's any subtle intellectual or memory deficits down the line is too early to say," he added.

"It is possible she will make a smooth recovery, but it is impossible to tell I'm afraid."

Malala needs time to recover her strength before surgery to reconstruct her skull, either with her own bone or a titanium plate, the hospital said in a briefing note. That could be weeks or months in the future.

The bullet, which was removed by surgeons in Pakistan, hit Malala's left brow. It traveled beneath the skin and into the neck, damaging soft tissue at the base of the jaw and base of the neck, the note said.

"There is every sign that she understands why she's here," Rosser said.

"It's a very difficult position for her, clearly, because she has gone from being on a school bus and the next thing she will be consciously aware of is being in a strange hospital in a different country."

Officials in the Swat Valley originally said Malala was 14 years old, but officials at her school confirmed that her birthday was July 12, 1997, making her 15, as the U.S. public broadcaster NPR reported earlier.

Bijoux0021
Oct 20th, 2012, 12:39 AM
Great news.

Keep making progress, Malala. :hug:

Pops Maellard
Oct 20th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Getting shot in the head and living...the chances must be like 1 in a million :speakles:.

fifty-fifty
Oct 20th, 2012, 01:18 PM
http://www.fff.org/comment/com1210o.asp

The Malalas You Will Not Hear About
by Wendy McElroy, October 18, 2012

Some news stories break your heart. On October 9, in Pakistan, 14-year-old Malala Yousafzai was shot twice in the head by Taliban gunmen. She is being treated in a hospital in Birmingham, England, where she was moved for specialized care and personal safety. Doctors say they expect a “good recovery.”

Malala was targeted for assassination because of her prominent role in promoting education for girls in the Swat Valley in northwest Pakistan, which has served as a base for the Taliban. Several times, as power flowed back and forth, the Taliban outlawed the education of girls in the Swat.

Malala became prominent in 2009, at 11 years old, when she wrote a series of blog posts for the BBC in which she chronicled life under the Taliban and pleaded for peace. On January 9, 2009, she wrote,

I had a terrible dream yesterday with military helicopters and the Taliban. I have had such dreams since the launch of the military operation in Swat. I was afraid going to school because the Taliban had issued an edict banning all girls from attending schools. Only 11 students attended the class out of 27. The number decreased because of Taliban's edict.

On my way from school to home I heard a man saying “I will kill you.” I hastened my pace … to my utter relief he was talking on his mobile and must have been threatening someone else over the phone.

The brutal shooting has united Pakistan in a backlash of rage against the Taliban. The Pakistan newspaper Dawn (Oct. 12) declared,

The reaction to the attack on Malala Yousafzai is significant not just because of its scale and outrage, but because it is marked by something that is depressingly rare — across-the-board condemnation of the Taliban.

Overnight, Malala has become an international symbol of women's fight against Islamic extremists and for the education of girls. At rallies around the world, demonstrators now hold signs reading “We are all Malala.”

I do not mention these reactions as an upside or a “positive” outcome, because there is no positive to a child being shot. And the outpouring is long overdue. If people in Pakistan and elsewhere had been unwilling to tolerate the brutalization of children for so many years, then Malala's shooting might not have occurred.

The other Malalas

The West still tolerates the wounding and murder of children when it is done by the United States in the name of the war on terror.

In September, Stanford Law School and New York University's School of Law released a joint study entitled “Living Under Drones: Death, Injury, and Trauma to Civilians From US Drone Practices in Pakistan.” (PDF)

Since 2004, the United States has used unmanned aerial vehicles or drones to make hundreds of attacks within northwest Pakistan, despite the nation's protests. Drones have been heralded as being surgically precise in targeting terrorists while causing little “collateral damage.” Collateral damage generally refers to the maiming and killing of civilians.

The joint study declares, “This narrative is false.” The study was released after “nine months of intensive research,” including 130 interviews in Pakistan with victims as well as humanitarian and medical-aid workers. It also incorporates findings from an independent journalist organization based in London: the Bureau of Investigative Journalism (TBIJ).

According to TBIJ's best estimate based on available data, from June 2004 through mid-September 2012, drone attacks in Pakistan killed 2,593 to 3,365 people; 474 to 884 were civilians, including at least 176 children. 1,249 to 1,389 people were injured. Evidence of other deaths is offered but not confirmed.

The study goes on to document the harm caused by drones even to uninjured people.

Drones hover twenty-four hours a day over communities in northwest Pakistan, striking homes, vehicles, and public spaces without warning. Their presence terrorizes men, women, and children, giving rise to anxiety and psychological trauma among civilian communities.

People have become fearful of gathering in groups, even for funerals or religious rites. The American habit of striking the same target multiple times has made rescuers and medical personnel reluctant to help the wounded. “Some parents choose to keep their children home, and children injured or traumatized by strikes have dropped out of school.”

Peter Bergen, a CNN reporter who is often on the ground in Pakistan, reported on the “efficiency” of the drone attacks. He wrote,

Since it began in 2004, the drone campaign has killed 49 militant leaders whose deaths have been confirmed by at least two credible news sources. While this represents a significant blow to the militant chain of command, these 49 deaths account for only 2% of all drone-related fatalities.

Meanwhile, there is evidence that the constant bombardment of largely civilian areas has led to a spike in recruitment into terrorist or extremist groups.

In a New York Times article entitled “Secret ‘Kill List’ Proves a Test of Obama’s Principles and Will,” investigative reporters Jo Becker and Scott Shane maintained,

Drones have replaced Guantánamo as the recruiting tool of choice for militants; in his 2010 guilty plea, Faisal Shahzad, who had tried to set off a car bomb in Times Square, justified targeting civilians by telling the judge, “When the drones hit, they don’t see children.”

Selective outrage

America's mainstream media does not seem to see the children either — at least, not the ones victimized by American drone attacks.

Fouzi Slisli, Assistant Professor at St. Cloud State University, Minnesota stated,

If Malala had been killed in a drone attack, you would neither have heard updates on her medical status, nor would she be called “daughter of the nation,” nor would the media make a fuss about her. General Kayani would not have come to visit her and neither would the world media be constantly reporting on it. The pliant Western media and its liberals do not give even 1% of this attention to the Pakistani and Yemeni girls their government kills with drones everyday. Even humanitarian outrage, they only express it when it serves the interests of their snake governments.

Why have the children killed by U.S. drones received so little attention? The drone strikes are no less vicious than the shooting of Malala, and every true victim deserves to be acknowledged. Both the Taliban and the United States government have the blood of children on their hands, and those hands can never be wiped clean.

Conclusion

The cause of the selective rage for Malala and the selective silence for the 176 Pakistani children killed by American drones is purely political. American lives matter; Pakistani children’s lives do not … unless, of course, their lives and deaths can contribute to the narrative of terrorism and war being spun out of the White House. The fact that politicians, the military, and the media consider some dead children to matter while consigning other dead children to an Orwellian memory hole merely spotlights the depth of their depravity

saint2
Oct 23rd, 2012, 01:41 PM

Madonna took a break from stripping on stage for her fans’ cheers on her “MDNA” tour to baring her flesh for a cause.

The Material Girl addressed the plight of 14-year-old Malala Yousafzai - the Pakistani girl who was shot twice in the head by a Taliban thug for being an activist for women’s education - during her concert Wednesday night at Los Angeles’ Staples Center.

Then the 53-year-old pop-star put an exclamation point on her political protest by dedicating an on-stage strip tease to the girl, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

"This made me cry," Madonna told the crowd, "The 14-year-old Pakistani girl who was shot on a schoolbus for writing a blog about how important education was to her. The Taliban stopped her bus and shot her ... Do you understand the sickness and absurdity of this?”

She then shouted to the Los Anglinos: "Support education! Support the people who support women!”

That message wasn’t enough, however, for Madonna.

Later in the show, she dedicated her song, “Human Nature” to the young Pakistani hero - but not before stripping down into a black bra and panties.

Turning around, she revealed the name “Malala” scrawled across her back, NBC’s “Today” reported.

Should be "Madonna strips down for attention whoring"....What this girl will gain from Madonna strip ?

I hope girl will survive...

fifty-fifty
Oct 25th, 2012, 12:54 AM
Arrests made in shooting of Pakistani schoolgirl Malala

http://fox6now.com/2012/10/24/arrests-made-in-shooting-of-pakistani-schoolgirl-malala/

Londoner
Nov 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
UK Muslim radicals announce fatwa on Malala Yousafzai

http://india.nydailynews.com/newsarticle/ad9a089b585f7028d027b223a500dcf5/islamic-hardliners-announce-fatwa-on-malala-yousafzai

British-based Islamic radicals are preparing to announce a fatwa on Malala Yousafzai, the 15-year-old girl shot by the Pakistan Taliban, for her role in standing up to extremists.

The story of Malala, who is recovering at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, has touched millions of people around the world since she was attacked by a gunman on her way home from school last month.

She had dared to defy the Pakistan Taliban by promoting girls education and by documenting their abuses in a blog written in 2009.

Later this month, hardliners plan to gather at the notorious Red Mosque in Islamabad to denounce her as an apostate, accusing her of turning her back on Islam.

Anjem Choudary, who lives in East London and is one of the founders of al-Muhajiroun, which was banned in 2010, said the conference would announce the fatwa.

Although apostasy carries the death sentence according to Islamic law, he insisted he was not calling for Malala’s death.

"It's not a death sentence," he said. "It's about what is the reality of what's taking place and how she is being used as a tool for propaganda by the US and Pakistan, and for the crimes they are committing."

Malala has been recovering in Birmingham for the past five weeks.

It is understood that she could spend as long as two years in the UK, undergoing surgery, rehabilitation and counseling.

Last weekend her supporters marked "Malala Day" around the world, calling for better access to education for girls.

If they announce the Fatwa or even threaten it they should be arrested and jailed for life or deported and stripped of their British passports and Nationality. It really is time to take a stand regardless of 'proper processes'.

M.S.F
Jul 14th, 2013, 05:35 AM
QRh_30C8l6Y

Shvedbarilescu
Jul 14th, 2013, 10:05 AM
What as incredible speech. That has to be as courageous, compassionate, wise, and moving as any speech I have ever heard. That it came from someone so young who has been through so much makes it just that much more remarkable. I wish Malala Yousafzai every success in forefilling all her hopes and dreams. Not just for hersake but for the world's sake.

In the years to come, this is a woman who really could make a huge very positive difference to this crazy planet we live in. I wish her all the best in doing just that.

wild.river
Jul 14th, 2013, 04:20 PM
amazing. i can see her winning the nobel peace prize 30 years from now if she continues this. or maybe she just wants to be a regular person. either way, god bless.

Williamsser
Jul 14th, 2013, 10:42 PM
amazing. i can see her winning the nobel peace prize 30 years from now

She deserves it more than Nobel peace prize winner Obama.

kwilliams
Jul 22nd, 2013, 05:34 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/17/the-taliban-s-letter-to-malalayousafzai.html?source=upworthy1

The response from the Taliban!

M.S.F
Jul 22nd, 2013, 06:13 PM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/17/the-taliban-s-letter-to-malalayousafzai.html?source=upworthy1

The response from the Taliban!

How insecure and sick do you have to be to shoot a 14 year old girl?
Because of education or propaganda, there is no reason for them to attack innocents.
Just goes to show that such people know only one way to resolve differences.

kwilliams
Jul 22nd, 2013, 10:21 PM
^ There's little to no reason to attack anyone at all!

More like silence the next generation, the masses and the intelligent than resolve differences. They may have tried to silence her but in failing to do so, the whole world has taken note of her! You can't silence progress!

kwilliams
Sep 17th, 2013, 10:46 AM
http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/teen-shot-by-taliban-malala-yousafzai-to-receive-award-in-dublin-29584723.html