PDA

View Full Version : YEC 2012 iSTANBUL Mission: Beat Vika/Rena, humiliate Haga and win the title.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I have no idea how she'll do here. Here's hoping for an easy group.

ziros
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I think she'll do well,then get destroyed by Vika/Serena again I guess in the playoffs...

Cosmic Voices
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:21 PM
haha the title. it's the only way though, she has no gameplan vs either on this surface (or any surface vs rena :oh:) its just disappointing that as the number 2 seed she can't make anything competitive against these two. Bar stuttgart and the USO semifinal, in terms of final performances this has been abysmal from her. Maybe she'll surprise us at the YEC, but I'm sick of hoping :rolleyes:

Mexicola
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Just you watch. Serena will step on some glass, Vika will get dizzy, and Maria will still find a way to lose to Radwanska in the final. :lol:

JoPova
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:28 PM
I want Kerber, Errani and Radwanska! :help: No Serena or Vika please!

domon17th
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Just you watch. Serena will step on some glass, Vika will get dizzy, and Maria will still find a way to lose to Radwanska in the final. :lol:

:o No don't go there. Not with the Rena fans lurking around.

Cosmic Voices
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I think Maria will get drawn Serena in her group, but I don't really mind. I mean, it's better to face her in the RR than in the SF and get a beatdown or something? I mean, In 2012 Martha is 1-7 vs fellow Top-4 players and 9-1 vs the four other YEC participants. So realistically I'd rather her face Serena in the RR, so she doesn't face her in the SF? (Of course assuming Serena makes it to the SF)

this!

PimpMePova
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM

Lol :lol: So true though after watching this match I really can't help but feel so negatively..still can't believe she lost like that:(

domon17th
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:47 PM
I think Maria will get drawn Serena in her group, but I don't really mind. I mean, it's better to face her in the RR than in the SF and get a beatdown or something? I mean, In 2012 Martha is 1-7 vs fellow Top-4 players and 9-1 vs the four other YEC participants. So realistically I'd rather her face Serena in the RR, so she doesn't face her in the SF? (Of course assuming Serena makes it to the SF)

I smell a Maria-Serena-Kvitova-Li group just for the shits and giggles. Sooo going to happen.

NashaMasha
Oct 7th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Masha should take WC for Kremlin Cup, because after this Final will be hard to get mentally ready for YEC. And Masha has lack of game practice vs decent players

Shivank17
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Just one wish: Radwanska in her group pls.

Mexicola
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Maybe not in time for the YEC, but I believe Kvitova will be back to top 3 form soon. And that will be another huge problem for Maria in 2013 and beyond, to go along with her mental blocks with Serena and Vika. When Petra's on her game, Maria can't handle her. We saw that at Wimbledon in 2011 and in the 2nd set of the Aussie semi.

Just something else to think about on this bleak day. If Maria is stuck in a group with Serena/Kvitova, for example, I don't see her getting out of RR. She has to be demoralized at this point, after what happened today.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Masha should take WC for Kremlin Cup, because after this Final will be hard to get mentally ready for YEC. And Masha has lack of game practice vs decent players

She's not gonna do that, she's not that desperate. It's better for her to rest up and be ready for YEC.

Kon.
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:25 PM
I just want her to have a good finish to such a good year.

Jack89
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Can you imagine if one group ends up being Maria/Serena/Petra/Li and the other Vika/Aga/Kerber/Errani. :help:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Can you imagine if one group ends up being Maria/Serena/Petra/Li and the other Vika/Aga/Kerber/Errani. :help:

i don't really mind that tbh? she can handle petra and li, and it'd be good to get rena out of the way early :shrug:

Crux Squall
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Believe in yourself Maria

JamieOwen3
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:45 PM
at least she'll be fully fit there this year.

jameshazza
Oct 7th, 2012, 03:01 PM
I think she has a gameplan vs. Vika, she just never executes it. But when she does she bosses. I just want the off-season and all the improvements that come with it to happen tbh.

jameshazza
Oct 7th, 2012, 03:09 PM
The one thing I have a MAJOR issue with is that Joyce was always talking about moving forwards and ending the points on the swinging volley but under Thomas I feel there's been a real decline in that area.

Jack89
Oct 7th, 2012, 03:16 PM
The good thing about this YEC is that it'll be indoors and she seems to play well indoors. She played some of her best tennis this year at Stuttgart.

Plus she did get her last win against Vika indoors so if they do play each other here, which I think Maria will have to do to win it, that should give her some confidence hopefully.

Lachy
Oct 7th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I accidentally watched highlights of Masha vs. Justine AO 2008 today. Mistake :sobbing: :lol:

domon17th
Oct 7th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I like that Thomas has introduced more margin for the benefit of Claypova's emergence. But I take issue in Maria playing too conservatively on hardcourts and carrying that form over, where she can't defend as well, and doesn't have the luxury of time as with clay. Once she realised the superior players will not tolerate her topspin up the middle of the court shots, she'll go into her frantic maniac ballbashing mode again.

Stonerpova
Oct 7th, 2012, 03:26 PM

It would be in the tradition of what's happened this year:

-Maria and Petra always together
-Vika gets a cakewalk
-Radwanska vultures her way to another big SF

JoPova
Oct 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM
I like that Thomas has introduced more margin for the benefit of Claypova's emergence. But I take issue in Maria playing too conservatively on hardcourts and carrying that form over, where she can't defend as well, and doesn't have the luxury of time as with clay. Once she realised the superior players will not tolerate her topspin up the middle of the court shots, she'll go into her frantic maniac ballbashing mode again.

So true! Moreover, there's no net game. She doesn't attack the net anymore. She just plants her feet on the baseline and stays there. One more thing: after every serve she lands two metres inside the baseline.. how can you possibly hit Vika's deep ROS back if it always gets past you? :o

Cherry.
Oct 7th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Oh we all know it's SOOOOO gonna happen. :lol:
But I don't really mind tbh.

Crux Squall
Oct 7th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Oh i don't like the name of thread at all

NashaP
Oct 7th, 2012, 04:47 PM
:o No don't go there. Not with the Rena fans lurking around.

LOL, exactly. Serena fans are the most sensitive bitches ever.

the Serena-Maria group is NID im afraid.......I mean if shes going far in the tourny, shes gonna have to face her sometime....

swissmr
Oct 7th, 2012, 07:16 PM
The one thing I have a MAJOR issue with is that Joyce was always talking about moving forwards and ending the points on the swinging volley but under Thomas I feel there's been a real decline in that area.

Agree! Drive volley used to be one of Maria's best assets and now she barely uses it, and when she does it's a disaster :o

Trih
Oct 7th, 2012, 07:46 PM
NID.
That's exactly what I think, and I also think that Thomas is prepared enough to see that and after all the work they put in to win on clay, they will do the same thing about hardcourts for 2013, at least I hope so.

And I wanted to make an YEC thread titled "From Russia with Love" like the 007 movie where they are in Istanbul... :crying2:

NashaMasha
Oct 7th, 2012, 08:46 PM
She's not gonna do that, she's not that desperate. It's better for her to rest up and be ready for YEC.

She is doing everything between tournaments, but getting ready for next tournaments. All her first rounds look like warm-up and training of serve and groundstrokes...

She took a break between FO and Wimbledon just to play "claygame" on grass:sad:

as for me Hogsted = decline in everything , except what concerns clay. Shoulderpova was a better grass court player than HogstedPova and she never tried to play so defensive as she sometimes do now

That's exactly what I think, and I also think that Thomas is prepared enough to see that and after all the work they put in to win on clay, they will do the same thing about hardcourts for 2013, at least I hope so.

as for me FO 2013 is more important than the rest of the 2013 season... It's a pleasure to watch Claypova on red clay.

Reptilia
Oct 7th, 2012, 09:02 PM
I'm just here for the glammed up group pic tbh!

Charlatan
Oct 7th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Svetlio, bish, get your ass on here and start making a thread again! You know, you have two tournament-winning streak going :mad:

Anyway, just to refresh memory :oh:
http://oi45.tinypic.com/1wutc.jpg

Make a SF at least please :)

NashaMasha
Oct 7th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Svetlio, bish, get your ass on here and start making a thread again! You know, you have two tournament-winning streak going :mad:

it's time we stopped requiring Semis or Finals from Masha.... She has plenty of them this year....

Masha, pls win it again!!!:)

ziros
Oct 7th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I think we've got to remember to not take all this for granted,her consistently going deep in tournaments. Remember back in '09/'10 the chances of her ever getting back to the top didn't look very good at all...

Marilyn Monheaux
Oct 7th, 2012, 09:41 PM
WTA Championships 2012 iStanbul Mission: Win the title by not facing Rena/Vika

:o WOAT title? :o

What happened to beat the best to be the best? :rolleyes:

tennis-insomniac
Oct 8th, 2012, 02:57 AM

:awww: Serena looked so sad here, if she wasn't injured, Maria would have had no YEC title in her resume (just to speak the truth).

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing Maria competing with the best players in the world and that includes Serena and Vika.

So bring it bitches! :fiery:

I expect Maria to reach at least SF in this year YEC, no more less; the final and even the championship are also possible with some luck.

Good Luck Mashy :yeah:

Cherry.
Oct 8th, 2012, 04:45 AM

What happened to beat the best to be the best? :rolleyes:This.

C. Drone
Oct 8th, 2012, 09:30 AM

What happened to beat the best to be the best? :rolleyes:

True.
We want Maria to show her best, not being defeated from first point, but then thread title says exactly that...
How do you guys expect anything from her when even we fail here?

doomsday
Oct 8th, 2012, 09:47 AM
The thread title is beyond embarrassing.
Find your best serve Maria and destroy the field a la YEC 2007.

Shivank17
Oct 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM
YEC 2007 was also after a loss to Vika right? :scratch: :oh:

And I agree, title change pls. I still want her to face and beat Vika at least. Serena can out-hit Maria, but Vika just pushes, and Maria self-implodes. Pls play like 2007 YEC! :cheer:

Shivank17
Oct 8th, 2012, 10:18 AM

Svetlio is a smart bish, only makes thread where Maria is almost assured of winning. :lol:

domon17th
Oct 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM
To be fair the thread starter was probably just frustrated after the nth loss to Vika in a final.

I do agree that at some point we need to change it though.

I think bitch would be motivated enough this time to not play shit again. Especially after her non-performance last year.

gc-spurs
Oct 8th, 2012, 06:47 PM

What CareerSlamPova said... Slutlio doesn't want to mess up the streak!

Mistress of Evil
Oct 8th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Y'all little bitches discussing me behind my back. I have taught you well

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5elym2xQQ1r11s4xo1_r2_250.gif

There is already a thread and and idea behind it that is to be open by me in 2013. You should just all wait and see!

MM_1257
Oct 8th, 2012, 11:29 PM
I am so sorry but I wouldn't blame Hogstedt... In my opinon he actually brought some freshness into her mental state... She was stagnating in 2010. I am glad she has a coach like Thomas, he believes in her endlessly. And goes through everything with her. And is prepared to work with her.
She is better on clay, yes, but all in all she seems kind of fragile to me, still... And I have a feeling she can fall appart any time. Like a house of cards. 2012 has been one of her best years, if not best... Azarenka has improved dramatically, Serena will always be an unclimbable mountain for her... And this year next to Serena and Vichka is Maria... Unfortunately she has become a mental-midget against Vichka.. Due to Vichka's improved movement, mentality, fitness (read game) and due to herself (her mindset since AO).
Maria will never be the old player she was... And this I think is actually close to the maximum she can give..

So true! Moreover, there's no net game. She doesn't attack the net anymore. She just plants her feet on the baseline and stays there. One more thing: after every serve she lands two metres inside the baseline.. how can you possibly hit Vika's deep ROS back if it always gets past you? :o

100 coaches cannot help you if you are not willing / don't know how to do it. She practices net game, yet she never plays it in matches and when she does she fails... There is a part of Maria's mind also involved in it. I think she is too insecure to attack the net. In the past, when she was full of confidence, like that AO 2008, she did it great. But then again, she is bad at moving forward-backward, and there are a lot of great defenders now..
And yes, well, that is Vichka's specialty against Maria, taking the ball early and deep, not giving her any time at all to react. Maria won't change her landing because of Vichka now, and Maria's reaction time is longer than Vichka's... Serena outpowers/outserves Vichka, Maria can't... So she will always be in the loosing position... Unless Vichka becomes a mental midget again, like she was in the past..

Maybe not in time for the YEC, but I believe Kvitova will be back to top 3 form soon. And that will be another huge problem for Maria in 2013 and beyond, to go along with her mental blocks with Serena and Vika.

Honestly? I think, too, that sooner or later Petra will rise up again... I do not want to sound pessimistic, but I do expect an improvement to Petra, she will overcome her growing pains... While Maria... Well she is not younger day by day... + her game does not have varitey, never did in full and it won't have... Changing it now would ruin her confidence... We will see how long she'll be able to keep it up. I am a bit afraid for 2013... :scared:
So I think I should cherish what I get from her this year, despite her constantly loosing to Vichka. :o :mad: :fiery:

Mexicola
Oct 9th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Will Serena be a true vulture and just swoop in and take this title after sitting on her couch since the US Open, while the other ladies were playing their guts out in Asia?

I hate to think so, but whatever Serena wants, Serena gets. And I honestly can't see this championship final being between anyone other than Serena and Vika. They've been light years ahead of everyone this season. I can hope for a Maria miracle of her at least getting to the title match. I'll still be nervous and rooting for her to the bitter end. But, then again, do I really want to experience ANOTHER finals loss in 2012? In a sick way, it would be an appropriate finish to Maria's year.

ziros
Oct 9th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Will Serena be a true vulture and just swoop in and take this title after sitting on her couch since the US Open, while the other ladies were playing their guts out in Asia?

I hate to think so, but whatever Serena wants, Serena gets. And I honestly can't see this championship final being between anyone other than Serena and Vika. They've been light years ahead of everyone this season. I can hope for a Maria miracle of her at least getting to the title match. I'll still be nervous and rooting for her to the bitter end. But, then again, do I really want to experience ANOTHER finals loss in 2012? In a sick way, it would be an appropriate finish to Maria's year.
Yes,but I'd like to think it won't be that way for too much longer. Surely somewhere along the line Kvitova or Azarenka can turn that 7-6,6-3 loss into a 7-6,6-3 win

doomsday
Oct 9th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I am so sorry but I wouldn't blame Hogstedt... In my opinon he actually brought some freshness into her mental state... She was stagnating in 2010. I am glad she has a coach like Thomas, he believes in her endlessly. And goes through everything with her. And is prepared to work with her.
She is better on clay, yes, but all in all she seems kind of fragile to me, still... And I have a feeling she can fall appart any time. Like a house of cards. 2012 has been one of her best years, if not best... Azarenka has improved dramatically, Serena will always be an unclimbable mountain for her... And this year next to Serena and Vichka is Maria... Unfortunately she has become a mental-midget against Vichka.. Due to Vichka's improved movement, mentality, fitness (read game) and due to herself (her mindset since AO).
Maria will never be the old player she was... And this I think is actually close to the maximum she can give..

100 coaches cannot help you if you are not willing / don't know how to do it. She practices net game, yet she never plays it in matches and when she does she fails... There is a part of Maria's mind also involved in it. I think she is too insecure to attack the net. In the past, when she was full of confidence, like that AO 2008, she did it great. But then again, she is bad at moving forward-backward, and there are a lot of great defenders now..
And yes, well, that is Vichka's specialty against Maria, taking the ball early and deep, not giving her any time at all to react. Maria won't change her landing because of Vichka now, and Maria's reaction time is longer than Vichka's... Serena outpowers/outserves Vichka, Maria can't... So she will always be in the loosing position... Unless Vichka becomes a mental midget again, like she was in the past..

Honestly? I think, too, that sooner or later Petra will rise up again... I do not want to sound pessimistic, but I do expect an improvement to Petra, she will overcome her growing pains... While Maria... Well she is not younger day by day... + her game does not have varitey, never did in full and it won't have... Changing it now would ruin her confidence... We will see how long she'll be able to keep it up. I am a bit afraid for 2013... :scared:
So I think I should cherish what I get from her this year, despite her constantly loosing to Vichka. :o :mad: :fiery:

There is a lot of truth in this but the blockage to me seems to be on HC and solely on HC even in US when she took the lead, had game points to go 2-0 in the second set she blew them away and then she only won 1 game in that second set.
Maria doesn't seem to believe in her chances on HC anymore and that sucks but after all those finals lost on HC it's obvious that her mind is quite fucked up. There are just too many losses in finals on HC this year its beyond pathetic.

Joelina
Oct 9th, 2012, 08:42 AM
I know, but I said 'at least' ;)

Please play like it's YEC 07 all over again :drool: She used to do so well here since 04 to 07, bar last year! It's about time

IKR. but look at the USO 2012, wasn´t in SF from 2006, so hopefully she will do the same in Istanbul ;)

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 9th, 2012, 12:36 PM
What's up with all the moaning about the thread title. I wrote that in a moment of anger :oh: Changed it now :oh:.

sfan
Oct 9th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I want her to thrash them so bad

Trih
Oct 9th, 2012, 12:53 PM
the new title reminds me of the Beijing one :sobbing:

Effy
Oct 9th, 2012, 01:14 PM
I want her to thrash them so bad

and i want you to shut up in GM...please :help:

Kon.
Oct 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM
and i want you to shut up in GM...please :help:

+1.

Crux Squall
Oct 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Maria needs to serve well when faces Serena and Azarenka

Kon.
Oct 9th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Btw, I liked the previous title better. :oh:
It was more realistic. :sobbing:

Abuttons
Oct 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I just hope Maria plays a good tournament and is able to give all she's got to win it. It is her last chance to win a HC tournament in 2012 (she always won at least one each year since 2003) and to finish the year at n. 1. She will need her best game and a bit of luck.

All the best, Maria!

Crux Squall
Oct 9th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Btw, I liked the previous title better. :oh:
It was more realistic. :sobbing:

I think the title would be Incredible year, No pressure Let's go Pova or something like that

Break My Rapture
Oct 9th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Get RADWANSKA in Maria's group or else....:fiery:

zigga
Oct 9th, 2012, 08:35 PM
I can't wait for YEC to begin, it is always one of the most exciting tournaments of the year for me. I really want Maria to do well there, but whatever happens it was a great year, so I won't be to disappointed.

slamchamp
Oct 10th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I hope she has Serena in her group..better there than a beatdown in the semis or final :lol:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 10th, 2012, 02:06 AM
I'm just happy she's fit and healthy to compete this year. Davai

Reptilia
Oct 10th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Premium :oh:

Stonerpova
Oct 10th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Nice crowns :lol:

Reptilia
Oct 10th, 2012, 03:40 AM
:hysteric:

Charlatan
Oct 10th, 2012, 03:49 AM
MrProdigy lurking :dance: THEY love us :hearts:

Reptilia
Oct 10th, 2012, 04:13 AM
MrProdigy lurking :dance: THEY love us :hearts:

I wonder if he has got laid yet :tears: his posts just reek of sexual frustration.

doomsday
Oct 10th, 2012, 10:59 AM
I know it will feel like i'm not over the loss in Pekin but I am I just wanted to add that I'm not that butthurt about her losses to Vika this year Maria had lost 4 times in a row against Na Li IIRC.
She found a way to turn the H2H and its not like she can't do anything about it like her matchup vs Serena where most of the times Serena outhit/ outserves Maria off the court.
Maria is just trying too hard against Vika, it should be a moment where Maria thinks about doing things not that quickly, I really feel like she only takes her time on clay these days and that on HC she is way too stubborn, and doesn't want to think on the surface.
Anyway like I said this is a matchup where there is sth to do, it could be a great rivalry and certainly they both can give us more entertaining matches so Maria, get your shit together.

Cosmic Voices
Oct 10th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I know it will feel like i'm not over the loss in Pekin but I am I just wanted to add that I'm not that butthurt about her losses to Vika this year Maria had lost 4 times in a row against Na Li IIRC.
She found a way to turn the H2H and its not like she can't do anything about it like her matchup vs Serena where most of the times Serena outhit/ outserves Maria off the court.
Maria is just trying too hard against Vika, it should be a moment where Maria thinks about doing things not that quickly, I really feel like she only takes her time on clay these days and that on HC she is way too stubborn, and doesn't want to think on the surface.
Anyway like I said this is a matchup where there is sth to do, it could be a great rivalry and certainly they both can give us more entertaining matches so Maria, get your shit together.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6r1z28PVL1rqfbkq.gif

Lachy
Oct 10th, 2012, 12:14 PM

:lol: That tennis scene was so fierce and epic :hysteric:

MashaFan01
Oct 10th, 2012, 03:12 PM
So here is my theory and analysis about Masha and her surprising losses in finals this year - and I'm sure lotsa people won't agree with me - On what is Masha's game build on? - Yes - her ground strokes and fantastic returns but most of all it's build on her serve - Masha once said that after her surgery - she lost the "feel" for her serve - I've also read somewhere that if Masha's serve doesn't work well - she loses confidence and her whole game falls apart

During 2009 until the end of 2011 - she lost matches because of her serve and people have been mocking her for all her DFs - In 2009 and 2010 many "experts" doubted that she would ever make it back to the top 10 - she ended 2010 ranked #18 - In 2011 she ended the year as #4 - but then people were questioning if she ever would win another slam - which is exactly what she did this year - mainly because her serve has been working well most of the time

Masha is however still not comfy with her serve and under pressure - like playing a top player like Victoria and Serena - she has to focus to much on serving well and that maybe is the main reason why the rest of her game deteriorate - ie loads of unforced errors - According to what I've read about a rotator cuff operation in the shoulder - it's a wonder that she plays tennis on such a high level at all - 'cause one loses strength in that shoulder which never can be rebuild again - Masha once said that returning to tennis was like starting all over again and we've seen how slow her come back has been - It took her from 2009 until this year to have some decent results - Her FO 2012 victory this year was mainly because she served well through the whole tournament - So many people - "experts" included - have all sorta well meant advices today - like she needs a plan B whatever that means - Trust me - Masha doesn't need a plan B - she needs to be comfy with her serve - All the pieces in Masha's game are in place except for a "natural coming" serve - I'm sure she's working hard on it - and my hope is that she'll get that "feel" back someday - so that she suddenly just knows that her timing and her hits in the serving moment come natural again and that she doesn't need to think about it that much during a match against a top player and that can trust her serve again - Until that happens - I fear that all Masha can hope for is to be a top 5 player - the #3 at best

BTW - I reviewed the AO QF from 2008 vs Justine Henin the other day and I was amazed by how confident her whole body language was through the entire match - She looks different today when she enters the court to face Victoria or Serena

Cosmic Voices
Oct 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM
my eyes burn when reading that text ^ :hysteric:

doomsday
Oct 10th, 2012, 03:39 PM
So here is my theory and analysis about Masha and her surprising losses in finals this year - and I'm sure lotsa people won't agree with me - On what is Masha's game build on? - Yes - her ground strokes and fantastic returns but most of all it's build on her serve - Masha once said that after her surgery - she lost the "feel" for her serve - I've also read somewhere that if Masha's serve doesn't work well - she loses confidence and her whole game falls apart

During 2009 until the end of 2011 - she lost matches because of her serve and people have been mocking her for all her DFs - In 2009 and 2010 many "experts" doubted that she would ever make it back to the top 10 - she ended 2010 ranked #18 - In 2011 she ended the year as #4 - but then people were questioning if she ever would win another slam - which is exactly what she did this year - mainly because her serve has been working well most of the time

Masha is however still not comfy with her serve and under pressure - like playing a top player like Victoria and Serena - she has to focus to much on serving well and that maybe is the main reason why the rest of her game deteriorate - ie loads of unforced errors - According to what I've read about a rotator cuff operation in the shoulder - it's a wonder that she plays tennis on such a high level at all - 'cause one loses strength in that shoulder which never can be rebuild again - Masha once said that returning to tennis was like starting all over again and we've seen how slow her come back has been - It took her from 2009 until this year to have some decent results - Her FO 2012 victory this year was mainly because she served well through the whole tournament - So many people - "experts" included - have all sorta well meant advices today - like she needs a plan B whatever that means - Trust me - Masha doesn't need a plan B - she needs to be comfy with her serve - All the pieces in Masha's game are in place except for a "natural coming" serve - I'm sure she's working hard on it - and my hope is that she'll get that "feel" back someday - so that she suddenly just knows that her timing and her hits in the serving moment come natural again and that she doesn't need to think about it that much during a match against a top player and that can trust her serve again - Until that happens - I fear that all Masha can hope for is to be a top 5 player - the #3 at best

BTW - I reviewed the AO QF from 2008 vs Justine Henin the other day and I was amazed by how confident her whole body language was through the entire match - She looks different today when she enters the court to face Victoria or Serena

Frankly I didn't feel like Maria's confidence was shattered when she entered in the court to play Vika in Stuttgart final, au contraire she was quite pumped up there are just surfaces where you know you're confident and clearly playing on clay lately bring a fierce Maria(the way she cameback from 6-4 4-0 against Na li in Rome final :eek: I just don't see this happening on HC times have clearly changed) on HC it's a whole different situation she still has doubts.
Look the first major that she won happened to be on clay it's not a coincidence, Maria's confidence and game is great on clay; on HC she is for now a mess when it matters.

cautiouslip
Oct 10th, 2012, 04:43 PM
It's not that her game isn't good enough, its just that she loses all of her confidence in finals. Look at her attitude in her 3 slam wins before the surgery there is a huge difference, and that is belief. She can still play an amazing game on hard courts, just look at the match against Kerber.

Fighterpova
Oct 10th, 2012, 05:44 PM

That scene :hysteric:

cB6sdTk3usQ&feature=related

Shivank17
Oct 10th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I wonder if he has got laid yet :tears: his posts just reek of sexual frustration.

:rolls:

And Sickfalsetto your sig :rolls:

Stonerpova
Oct 10th, 2012, 06:16 PM
It's not that her game isn't good enough, its just that she loses all of her confidence in finals. Look at her attitude in her 3 slam wins before the surgery there is a huge difference, and that is belief. She can still play an amazing game on hard courts, just look at the match against Kerber.

Yep.

MM_1257
Oct 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM
[I've read about a rotator cuff operation in the shoulder - it's a wonder that she plays tennis on such a high level at all - 'cause one loses strength in that shoulder which never can be rebuild again

MashaFan01, in general I agree with what you wrote. It is a confidence issue. Like I said in my previous post, I still think she is fragile in a way.
In the quoted part of your post- I disagree. There are many articles (medical) that describe patients returning to the previous level of performance after a rotator cuff surgery.
Those who don't rebuild the strength ever again, are usually those who have a full thickness tear, which, thanks God, I think Masha didn't have. Unless they haven't told us the whole truth.

I agree MashaFan01. It's all about her confidence. Also I always wondered, if she's ambidextrous, why not just ditch that bum right shoulder and play lefty? I mean...we know she can do it, it'd just be learning how to serve again :oh:

:lol: that train is gone, she cannot play lefty on pro tour... But she could use the underarm serve. :oh:

Yup! I totally agree. When she feels confident, she can do amazing things with the ball (all those winners :drool:), with her A game. But when she doubts. Huh.. She is frozen then, and mainly stuck in one place (her footwork betrays her) and she is too passive and playing to the middle too much, not moving the opponent at all. Besides, Vichka will always outrun her.

Besides what can one expect when you see her this tight when the match hasn't started yet --- https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/669023772.jpg?key=30002209&Expires=1349895723&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=ghrHo1jPv~NMrUaTvJFp91aJb4dsAyn6cN5rTE~e 4xw-xcxkkSpQAf1dp1zEMGV8G0pUr~tbsKsUdFVRFsS3t6Z9VPWUhu 1BsuH8sA7h1d63KL7SdNt6v5Z4xTosymaOoPncceYKyFrPcT6k DEGSzzz2otL4rxiirvpQqqDB4wY_
It's like Roger vs. Nadal, so pale, so tight...

I am trying to gather courage to watch the Beijing final... Should I do it? :help:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 10th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Is the underarm serve even legal these days?

MM_1257
Oct 10th, 2012, 07:25 PM

No idea. :lol:

Kon.
Oct 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Pretty sure it is, like it's always been.
How amazing would it be if someone randomly decided to serve underarm a la Hingis RG '99 final. :hearts:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 10th, 2012, 07:41 PM
Pretty sure it is, like it's always been.
How amazing would it be if someone randomly decided to serve underarm a la Hingis RG '99 final. :hearts:

I don't know which year it was, but I'm sure a girl did it mid-match at Wimbledon, probably in the juniors. I was watching and everyone in the crowd was like :eek: "did that bitch really just do that"

Shafanovic.
Oct 10th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Subscribe :wavey:

jameshazza
Oct 11th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I was watching AO highlights too, the reason Maria was so successful there was because she had implemented the spins and the angles on her shots. I think we have to appreciate that Maria started from scratch to go from zero to number 1 in the world in 3 years is pretty amazing. How many juniors do that? :shrug: And that's what Maria just coming back could almost be compared to.

The main thing that she needs to work on is her serve which she will continue to do that. It is the catalyst for her game. She really needs to get a natural feel for it because that's what gives the variety and she doesn't have that at the minute. If she can get that fully back then her HC tennis will likely comeback, even though Maria in 2005/2006 was all out flat bashing and it was amazing, it led to very erratic performances which is why her spins and angles could be a good thing in the long run. I mean look at some of the shockers she's game us this year, imagine if she was trying to bash every ball (in fact many shocker have been because of that).

Yeah, she needs her confidence back again, that killer unshakable belief but realistically even the toughest don't have unlimited strength. The past couple of years will have taken a lot out of her but seasons like this one should go a long way to getting that back. I know it's frustrating to see her lose to players like Vika/Aga who an AO 2008 Maria would have bagelled and breadsticked but it's a process. She's came leaps and bounds these past two season, the time for worrying will be if we're still here this time next year.

JoPova
Oct 11th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Have I already said that I want a Radwanska rematch at the YEC? Maria needs to beat her as soon as possible! She has to! :fiery:

domon17th
Oct 11th, 2012, 04:31 PM
Have I already said that I want a Radwanska rematch at the YEC? Maria needs to beat her as soon as possible! She has to! :fiery:

I'm not sure if I'd like to see her lose to Aga if her game isn't there yet.

But otherwise, give it your all, Maria. Withdraw from all your exhos

JoPova
Oct 11th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure if I'd like to see her lose to Aga if her game isn't there yet.

But otherwise, give it your all, Maria. Withdraw from all your exhos

So true! Another loss to Radwanska would be too much to handle! :help:

Kon.
Oct 11th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I don't know which year it was, but I'm sure a girl did it mid-match at Wimbledon, probably in the juniors. I was watching and everyone in the crowd was like :eek: "did that bitch really just do that"

Now imagine if a top pro did it. :lol:

domon17th
Oct 11th, 2012, 04:58 PM
So when will the groups and draw be made? It starts next week right? :unsure: Or not? Oops

JoPova
Oct 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM
So when will the groups and draw be made? It starts next week right? :unsure: Or not? Oops

The tournament start on the 23rd, I think! But I'm not sure when they'll reveal the draw :shrug:

domon17th
Oct 11th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Thanks ^^

I know I probably posted this sometime back but I'm quite sure it'll be Maria, Sarin, Petra and Li Na. :sobbing:

JoPova
Oct 11th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks ^^

I know I probably posted this sometime back but I'm quite sure it'll be Maria, Sarin, Petra and Li Na. :sobbing:

I have this very same feeling! :sobbing: The Vika-Aga-Sara-Angie group is NID! :help:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 11th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks ^^

last year it was

Red Group
1st Seed
3rd Seed
6th Seed
8th Seed

White Group
2nd Seed
4th Seed
5th Seed
7th Seed

should this occur again it'll be:

Red Group
Vika
Rena
Kerber
Errani

White Group
Masha
Aga
Petra
Na

(I'd love if that happened btw :oh: it's a nice balance. Plus masha has a winning h2h against everyone in her group, whilst vika and rena will respectively take out kerber and errani)

Hopefully its:
Vika/Rena
Masha/Petra
that get through to the semifinals

Cosmic Voices
Oct 11th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Hopefully if that happens, Vika beats Serena so theres no beatdown in the final :tape:

knowing our luck masha would probably lose worse to vika than rena :tape:

domon17th
Oct 11th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Or something random like Peak Kvitty would emerge and slay all :hysteric: Most random outcome of all

Kon.
Oct 11th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Or something random like Peak Kvitty would emerge and slay all :hysteric: Most random outcome of all

I don't know what to expect from Kvitova. :lol:
She might go 0-3 in RR. She might reach the final.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM

:hysteric: Love it.

Cosmic Voices
Oct 11th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Hipster what did you do to your avi/sig :hysteric:??

Stonerpova
Oct 11th, 2012, 06:44 PM
TBH I want another Azarenka match at the YEC. If Serena withdraws that will probably be the final, and the only way for Maria to beat her is to play her. I say bring it on :shrug:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM
how do you change your name btw? i've never known how to do that :confused:

rafeclarke123
Oct 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Hello, new Masha worshipper here! I hope her group is Kerber, Radwanska, Errani, they are both easy opponents for her based of past results except for a tricky Radwanska. Last year was so disappointing, she needs a win first match defo.

Cosmic Voices
Oct 11th, 2012, 09:23 PM
:facepalm:

There's a thread for it under the bugs and errors bit.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=22308865#post22308865

Just requested a name change, say goodbye to serbian_siren :sobbing: and hello to Cosmic :cheer:
it'll feel like getting a new haircut

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7c5fkt1nS1rr7gmw.gif

jameshazza
Oct 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Surface is slow and indoors, Maria has a great chance if she turns up prepared.

Cosmic Voices
Oct 12th, 2012, 11:47 AM
ok so it turns out Cosmic was taken as a username :sobbing:
which bitch took my name! even my twitter and blog is named after that (a florence + the machine song)

anyway, if it's available from now on I shall be named:
Cosmic Voices

it's my website name :oh:

Trih
Oct 12th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Surface is slow and indoors, Maria has a great chance if she turns up prepared.
I think so too, hope she's resting. ;)

anyway, if it's available from now on I shall be named:
Cosmic Voices

That sounds like an important nickname :p

I just booked my tickets for the Milan exhibition in december, can't wait. :rocker2: :hearts:

PimpMePova
Oct 12th, 2012, 12:03 PM
ok so it turns out Cosmic was taken as a username :sobbing:
which bitch took my name! even my twitter and blog is named after that (a florence + the machine song)

I love florence + the machine it's one of my favourite bands :yeah:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 12th, 2012, 03:59 PM
New and improved name :oh: <<<<<------

Cosmic Voices
Oct 12th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I feel like a TF virgin again :lol:
noones gonna recognise us when they reply back to our posts :sobbing:
I like your new name though hipster, are you changing your twitter?

Kon.
Oct 12th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Improved title for the thread I see. :oh:

jameshazza
Oct 12th, 2012, 07:15 PM
The title edit. :hysteric:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 12th, 2012, 07:20 PM
YES to the title change :armed:

Jamrock,20
Oct 12th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Is there supposed to be a capital "I" in Istanbul?

Trih
Oct 13th, 2012, 12:02 AM
seems like Apple made the thread title :help:

MM_1257
Oct 13th, 2012, 12:26 AM
I. do. not. like. the. thread. title!!!!! What IF (God forbid) Agatha beats her again?? Great material for her fans to attack us... But please, do not complain then here- "how cruel they are"...

Trih
Oct 13th, 2012, 12:40 AM
I. do. not. like. the. thread. title!!!!! What IF (God forbid)

Pretty much this, not only about Agatha. :rolleyes:

Fighterpova
Oct 13th, 2012, 12:48 AM
I. do. not. like. the. thread. title!!!!! What IF (God forbid) Agatha beats her again?? Great material for her fans to attack us... But please, do not complain then here- "how cruel they are"...

This :lol:

Reptilia
Oct 13th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Have a little faith, peepz :angel:

Fighterpova
Oct 13th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Have a little faith, peepz :angel:

I have faith and I love this tournament, but what are the chances of her beating Vika and Serena in the same tournament? :lol:

Charlatan
Oct 13th, 2012, 01:20 AM
I have faith and I love this tournament, but what are the chances of her beating Vika and Serena in the same tournament? :lol:

I know right? Crapova should have withdrawn from this event already!

MM_1257
Oct 13th, 2012, 02:24 AM

The same as mine are for becoming the Queen of England. 0

ziros
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:32 AM
The same as mine are for becoming the Queen of England. 0
Such positivity from her diehard fans...

doomsday
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Such positivity from her diehard fans...

:lol: I don't wanna sound negative, not my habit but first I think we should hope for a competitive match first before thinking of Maria beating any of them on HC. I think some people are just being realistic.

doktor
Oct 13th, 2012, 08:45 AM
C'mon Martha :cheer:

Fighterpova
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I know right? Crapova should have withdrawn from this event already!

Those are your words, not mine :shrug:

By the way, are you always this frustrated? :lol:

Chillax.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Is there supposed to be a capital "I" in Istanbul?

Nope.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:31 AM
seems like Apple made the thread title :help:

iStanbul is written with a non capital I :lol:.

Cosmic Voices
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:32 AM
The way I look at it is everyone's human :shrug:
Anyone, on any given day can defeat their nemesis. I just pray we see good, quality tennis. Though this will be debatable after such an arduous season. As Masha fans we should be celebrating the fact that she's back at the YEC after the injury last year :sobbing: Out of the 7 players joining her at the YEC, only 2 have positive H2Hs. A lot of posters forget to mention that Vika is 1-10 vs Serena, and just because they had close matches she's now in contention to finally beat her again. Well, didn't Masha have SP at Wimbledon 2010? Or took her to three sets on green clay, or was in an inch of winning at the Australian Open. Nothing is impossible. Everything about Masha these days is about self-belief, and lawd if we don't believe in her then we're just giving into the trolls who post in GM daily. Lets fight for our fave people and snap out of it!

http://curezone.com/upload/Members/trapper/fun/spock_slap.gif

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:36 AM

:lol: Why so serious. We in SS love it when we're wrong in all the right ways :oh:.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Improved title for the thread I see. :oh:

:rolls:

The title edit. :hysteric:

YES to the title change :armed:

:rocker2::oh:.

Kon.
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:55 AM
iStanbul is written with a non capital I :lol:.

Isn't it supposed to be a capital but dotted I? Turkish has both a dotted and dotless I each having their own uppercase and lowercase letter.
I thought in turkish it's spelled like this: İstanbul
I could be wrong though. :lol:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:57 AM
^ the courts had a smaller i in comparison to the uppercase letters
http://www.sportspromedia.com/images/sized/images/uploads/blogs/istanbul-510x316.jpg

maybe the OP should change it to YEC 2012 iSTANBUL :shrug:

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Isn't it supposed to be a capital but dotted I? Turkish has both a dotted and dotless I each having their own uppercase and lowercase letter.
I thought in turkish it's spelled like this: İstanbul
I could be wrong though. :lol:

I have no idea. I just googled some pictures of the court in Istanbul and in all of them Istanbul was written as iStanbul.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 13th, 2012, 11:02 AM
^ the courts had a smaller i in comparison to the uppercase letters
http://www.sportspromedia.com/images/sized/images/uploads/blogs/istanbul-510x316.jpg

maybe the OP should change it to YEC 2012 iSTANBUL :shrug:

Will do :yeah:.

Kon.
Oct 13th, 2012, 11:03 AM
^Didn't remember that.
At first I hadn't understood why it wasn't a capital in the title then I remembered the dotted I and all and googled it. Well, I learnt something today. :lol:
The title looks fine anyway. :yeah:

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 13th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Can't believe that Petra was the one who won the YEC last year:sobbing:.

Crux Squall
Oct 14th, 2012, 11:28 AM
In Shanghai Fed serve 3 DF in a row, make me remember Maria :tears:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 14th, 2012, 11:39 AM
In Shanghai Fed serve 3 DF in a row, make me remember Maria :tears:

I know, me and hipster were joking about it on twitter :lol:

Roger Shrapova
Roger Dementieva

and such

claypova
Oct 14th, 2012, 12:24 PM
iSTANBUL :hysteric:

domon17th
Oct 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM
I know, me and hipster were joking about it on twitter :lol:

Roger Shrapova
Roger Dementieva

and such

There's a reason why both of them are my favourites :sobbing:

Azarenka's consistency and durability is staggering (Despite being extremely injured sometimes :oh:), she played so many tournaments and won so many matches coming into the YEC. I can't help but hope feel she'll have a letdown.

MM_1257
Oct 14th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Because in Turkish i is written with a dot, capital or small.. I (without a dot) has a different kind of pronunciation.

Cosmic Voices
Oct 14th, 2012, 01:35 PM
^ sorry I meant Jamie :hysteric:

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Vika now has won 5 titles now :sobbing:. She'll be tough to beat :sobbing:.

Cosmic Voices
Oct 14th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Vika now has won 5 titles now :sobbing:. She'll be tough to beat :sobbing:.

i thought it was 6 titles?
anyway, she's had an incredible year. but the proof will be if she can back it up next season. congrats to her anyway :cheer:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 14th, 2012, 01:53 PM
also, by vika's age, masha had around 21-23 titles so it just shows how consistent Masha was (and hopefully still is)

MM_1257
Oct 14th, 2012, 02:18 PM
If Serena is serious and in form, she will eat them all alive!! She is 35:5 against the "top players" http://www.wtatennis.com/news/20121012/istanbuls-elite-eight-head-to-head-records_2256076_2946618 in her career!
If she won't be feeling in form, she'll probably WD... And yes, Vichka will win it.

Trih
Oct 14th, 2012, 02:27 PM
And yes, Vichka will win it.

:sobbing: :bigcry: :crying2: Not even a little faith? :sad:

Mexicola
Oct 14th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I realize it was against 3rd rate talent in Linz, but Azarenka did what you're supposed to do against inferior opponents as a top ranked player, which is destroy them. Another easy title. No dropped sets this week. No dropped sets last week. Vika is in the same kind of zone in the middle of October that she was in back in January-March. So where's her fatigue? That's why I don't want to hear that excuse when it comes to Maria. Maria's game has deteriorated more and more as the year has gone on and she should be called on it, especially when her biggest rival is excelling.

With the exception of the occasional match like she had against Kerber, Maria continues to unload with the DFs, errors, and sloppiness against all opponents, no matter where they're ranked. Always playing down to the competition, instead of wiping the floor with scrubs, which is what she used to do.

It's good to have confidence in Maria and try to be positive, as shown with the changed thread title. But there can be a fine line between confidence and delusion. And the way these two are playing, it's delusional to think Maria will beat Vika, if they play, at the YEC. As much as I loathe Azarenka, I admire how ruthless and effortless she looks dispatching everyone lately. An amazing consistency day after day, match after match. Something we never get any more from Maria.

Maybe I am waving the white flag early, but after seeing what's happened these past two tournaments, I don't even see Serena beating Vika this time. Serena has had too long of a layoff and Vika will be hungry and confident after that tough US Open loss. Seeing her dominate like this makes me even more frustrated with Maria. She needs a great, and I mean REALLY GREAT offseason that she needs to take seriously or she will be in danger of being left in the dust permanently by Vika. I wonder if Maria and her team realize this.

dsanders06
Oct 14th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Feel like it's the 10th time I've said this in recent weeks, but this tournament is literally the best chance Maria has to beat Serena. No wind to trigger the doublefaults, a slow surface to give her more time to get a hold on Serena's serve.

I honestly feel this has potential to be a monstrously good tournament for Maria (we all saw her great her serve could be in Stuttgart if she doesn't have to worry about the outdoor elements), and to me Beijing gave me the conclusion that she's not so fatigued that she's not capable of playing good tennis. But with that said it won't matter one jot if she's as headcasey as she's been lately.

jameshazza
Oct 14th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Your post just pretty much sums it up.

dsanders06
Oct 14th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I realize it was against 3rd rate talent in Linz, but Azarenka did what you're supposed to do against inferior opponents as a top ranked player, which is destroy them. Another easy title. No dropped sets this week. No dropped sets last week. Vika is in the same kind of zone in the middle of October that she was in back in January-March. So where's her fatigue? That's why I don't want to hear that excuse when it comes to Maria. Maria's game has deteriorated more and more as the year has gone on and she should be called on it, especially when her biggest rival is excelling.

With the exception of the occasional match like she had against Kerber, Maria continues to unload with the DFs, errors, and sloppiness against all opponents, no matter where they're ranked. Always playing down to the competition, instead of wiping the floor with scrubs, which is what she used to do.

It's good to have confidence in Maria and try to be positive, as shown with the changed thread title. But there can be a fine line between confidence and delusion. And the way these two are playing, it's delusional to think Maria will beat Vika, if they play, at the YEC. As much as I loathe Azarenka, I admire how ruthless and effortless she looks dispatching everyone lately. An amazing consistency day after day, match after match. Something we never get any more from Maria.

Maybe I am waving the white flag early, but after seeing what's happened these past two tournaments, I don't even see Serena beating Vika this time. Serena has had too long of a layoff and Vika will be hungry and confident after that tough US Open loss. Seeing her dominate like this makes me even more frustrated with Maria. She needs a great, and I mean REALLY GREAT offseason that she needs to take seriously or she will be in danger of being left in the dust permanently by Vika. I wonder if Maria and her team realize this.

I feel like this is another thing I've said before :lol: but for me, Maria's situation right now feels like pretty much the exact opposite of this time last year. Last year, her game was a shadow of what it's been even at her relatively mediocre tournaments in 2012 (e.g. her level at the US Open, while probably barely in her top half of best tournaments in 2012, would've been comfortably among her best performances in 2011) and consequently I was worried about the YEC simply because I wasn't sure if she could play well enough to beat the top girls, but mentally she seemed almost as tough as ever and would atleast give 100% mentally in matches even if her game wasn't up to the task. Whereas this year, I really do feel gamewise she's at a level that can beat anyone, but mentally I don't trust in her anywhere near as much as I did last year. I'm actually inclined to say her head has been a net liability for Maria's results this year (one of the only times that's been true for Maria, except maybe at times in 2010) -- what big matches can we really say her mental toughness saved her this year, her matches against Kvitova at the AO, Stosur in Stuttgart and against Lisicki at the Olympics? Compared to the countless big matches where she's crapped herself after playing like a boss in the previous rounds.

I dunno, I guess if I had to choose between her having problems with her game or her mind, I'd choose having problems with her mind, purely because she's such a mentally-tough character in general that I'd back her to overcome them even if it takes her a while. I do think it might be worth her while having a couple of sessions with a sports psychologist in the offseason though, just to get her to calm down and not put SO much pressure on herself as she has done at times this year -- this is just my gut instinct, but I still feel that the root of her problems is that in a way she almost wants success TOO much, and something I've learnt myself is that, sometimes, the more you want something, the less likely you actually are to succeed purely because of the pressure you're suffocating yourself with (as paradoxical as that sounds).

MM_1257
Oct 14th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Mexicola, Maria and her team are one of best in sports. Yes, she is aware of a lot of things, but the big question is - how much does she have in her? How much more can she give? She is a human, too. And one thing is for sure, she cannot control the forms and achievements of other players... She is not the best ever that has picked up a racket, but she is giving her best, training hard, trying to improve day by day, operating with what she has and knows... If she wasn't serious about the sport and if she wasn't prepared to work hard, she wouldn't have been where she is today. She hasn't had it all on a silver plate (like many of WTA players haven't in fact, not to do them unjustice by saying that Maria hasn't had it all pink and gold..) and surely she fought as hard as she could after the shoulder surgery. And for that I am proud of her. She has come a long road... And like I once said - every title since the surgery is a bonus for her, and in general I still think so...
And maybe it is time to simply accet that this Vika is simply a better player than Maria.

Cosmic Voices
Oct 14th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Vika is a different style of player to Masha so I wouldn't consider her 'better'. IMO Vika is a defensive baseliner with an excellent return game and great balance. Whereas Masha is eternally offensive, something which posters haven't given Masha enough credit for as over the clay season she mixed defence with offence.

However, if you compare Masha vs Rena, then ofc Rena is the more talented player. Masha herself isn't naturally gifted at tennis but my God she has worked so hard to utilise the best of her abilities. Her CCBH is the best in the game IMO and her mentality too is sensational, you cannot train self-belief. Like you said MM, any title post shoulderpova is an achievement, but I think we as fans are expecting way more than to just be 'grateful' at another title because she's been so consistent this year and come so close to winning titles only to fail at the last hurdle. I think 2013 will be a different year, I don't think she'll win as many matches but I think she'll win the important ones.

This year has been excellent proof of her consistency, don't you all agree?

Mexicola
Oct 15th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Mexicola, Maria and her team are one of best in sports. Yes, she is aware of a lot of things, but the big question is - how much does she have in her? How much more can she give? She is a human, too. And one thing is for sure, she cannot control the forms and achievements of other players... She is not the best ever that has picked up a racket, but she is giving her best, training hard, trying to improve day by day, operating with what she has and knows... If she wasn't serious about the sport and if she wasn't prepared to work hard, she wouldn't have been where she is today. She hasn't had it all on a silver plate (like many of WTA players haven't in fact, not to do them unjustice by saying that Maria hasn't had it all pink and gold..) and surely she fought as hard as she could after the shoulder surgery. And for that I am proud of her. She has come a long road... And like I once said - every title since the surgery is a bonus for her, and in general I still think so...
And maybe it is time to simply accet that this Vika is simply a better player than Maria.

I know Maria is only human and is a flawed tennis player. And I brought up the possibility that Maria may have already peaked and that we've seen the best she can give. And I long ago accepted that Serena Williams is far superior in every aspect of tennis compared to Maria. She probably is the greatest of all time.

However, after watching both Maria and Vika for years, I flat out don't believe she is a more talented player than Maria. A better player now? Certainly, without question. But more talented and with more potential? No, I don't think so. And that's why the lopsided rivalry with Vika upsets me a lot more than Maria's one-sided head-to-heads with Serena. Maria has the ability to beat Vika. She's just had a horrible time harnessing her ability and performing to a consistent level. Vika isn't blowing Maria off the court like Serena does. She just uses her speed and accuracy to drive Maria into errors and frustration most of the time. That's something Maria can counteract if she plays properly, which she isn't doing. We saw her do it in Stuttgart and in the first set of the US Open. It's there. She can do it.

It wasn't that long ago that we were talking about the laughable headcase Vika who had as many withdrawals and retirements as titles. She was the butt of jokes for YEARS. And she was never known as someone with supernatural talent. Yeah, she was hyped as a potential champion, but not the second coming of Serena or Navratilova. There's nothing about her that is intimidating. But she worked HARD in the 2011 offseason, and entered 2012 a completely different player. And that time and effort paid off. So if a lesser talented player like her can take her game to the next level, there's no reason to believe Maria can't do the same. And that's where Maria and her team come in. Following a loss, she always talks about being motivated to get better. Well, let's see that commitment, that attention to detail, that drive to be the best.

I just want to see a leap forward in her game and confidence next year. If Maria comes into 2013 and we see the same DFs, the same error-prone groundstrokes, and the same all power, all the time gameplan, then it probably will be time to accept that Maria has already shown the best she'll ever show and that a distant number 3 behind Serena and Vika will be the most she can hope for in the years to come.

effedcamel
Oct 15th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I know Maria is only human and is a flawed tennis player. And I brought up the possibility that Maria may have already peaked and that we've seen the best she can give. And I long ago accepted that Serena Williams is far superior in every aspect of tennis compared to Maria. She probably is the greatest of all time.

However, after watching both Maria and Vika for years, I flat out don't believe she is a more talented player than Maria. A better player now? Certainly, without question. But more talented and with more potential? No, I don't think so. And that's why the lopsided rivalry with Vika upsets me a lot more than Maria's one-sided head-to-heads with Serena. Maria has the ability to beat Vika. She's just had a horrible time harnessing her ability and performing to a consistent level. Vika isn't blowing Maria off the court like Serena does. She just uses her speed and accuracy to drive Maria into errors and frustration most of the time. That's something Maria can counteract if she plays properly, which she isn't doing. We saw her do it in Stuttgart and in the first set of the US Open. It's there. She can do it.

It wasn't that long ago that we were talking about the laughable headcase Vika who had as many withdrawals and retirements as titles. She was the butt of jokes for YEARS. And she was never known as someone with supernatural talent. Yeah, she was hyped as a potential champion, but not the second coming of Serena or Navratilova. There's nothing about her that is intimidating. But she worked HARD in the 2011 offseason, and entered 2012 a completely different player. And that time and effort paid off. So if a lesser talented player like her can take her game to the next level, there's no reason to believe Maria can't do the same. And that's where Maria and her team come in. Following a loss, she always talks about being motivated to get better. Well, let's see that commitment, that attention to detail, that drive to be the best.

I just want to see a leap forward in her game and confidence next year. If Maria comes into 2013 and we see the same DFs, the same error-prone groundstrokes, and the same all power, all the time gameplan, then it probably will be time to accept that Maria has already shown the best she'll ever show and that a distant number 3 behind Serena and Vika will be the most she can hope for in the years to come.

Since we're on the topic of mentality (sort of...), can someone explain why she looked SO agitated early on in the 2nd set of her USO SF? I didn't catch the entire match, but it seemed like she was edgy as hell. Did something else happen as well? She's at her best when she's stoic, not flipping her hair over her face or hitting her racket

Stonerpova
Oct 15th, 2012, 01:15 AM
Feel like it's the 10th time I've said this in recent weeks, but this tournament is literally the best chance Maria has to beat Serena. No wind to trigger the doublefaults, a slow surface to give her more time to get a hold on Serena's serve.

I honestly feel this has potential to be a monstrously good tournament for Maria (we all saw her great her serve could be in Stuttgart if she doesn't have to worry about the outdoor elements), and to me Beijing gave me the conclusion that she's not so fatigued that she's not capable of playing good tennis. But with that said it won't matter one jot if she's as headcasey as she's been lately.

Completely agree. I'm still not convinced Serena will show up though.

Maria's level of play against Kerber in Beijing showed me that the powerhouse hitting of pre-surgery Pova is still there, and like you said in your other post it's all about her head. The good news is that she'll be a huge underdog if and when she faces Vika and Serena, which means she can take that opportunity to open up her shoulders and let it rip. She's taken enough beatings from the pair of them this year so I'm thinking this tournament could be the moment when she says, "enough is enough." If Serena doesn't show up I won't be satisfied with anything less than a title, as crazy as that sounds :lol:

MM_1257
Oct 15th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Maybe I didn't express myself well. I think Maria slowly reached/is reaching her mental peak... There is a lot of physical and mental effort invested in her tennis since 2008... And I think she is starting to crack up slightly... She is much more expressive, gets nervous and impatient and unsatisfied more easily than before surgery... This year even more evident than before... But maybe I am wrong.. Maybe I have just forgotten how it was before...
But if I am right, IDK how much has MAria left in the tank... If Vika goes on with this form and if Maria keeps a good form (hope so!!) she will need another mental boost to confront Vika... Right now, she is lacking that...
Besides, Vika is better than Kerber, so Kerber's match was so good to see, but it means nothing for the Maria vs. Vika matchup... In the latter Maria ends up being frustrated because Vika takes her game away from her and Maria is forced to do more even better in order to beat her and that is where the errors and impatience come in.

Trih
Oct 15th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I admit I didn't completely read every wall of text you all wrote... (sorry! :p) but reading here and there I just feel sometimes too much optimism or too much defeatism...
It's october, the season has been long and exhausting for everyone, maybe even more for Maria who didn't have such a good year from january to october since, IDK, 2007?
Well, we saw ups and downs for everyone during this year, not a single player has been totally consistent in every tournament and on every surface, so I don't see the point of a discussion on who is better than who at this moment.
For example, look at how things looked after 2011 for Novak and Maria: he was looking unbeatable and she was looking like she couldn't improve anymore after the injury.
But what has 2012 told us? Novak returned "on earth" and he still had an awesome year with 70 wins, last year was something he probably could never ever top again in his career. Maria suddenly came out making 2 finals and 1 semi at slams, completing the slam, winning on clay, playing her best year after the injury.
The fact is that yes, at this moment Vika's game has something that Maria cannot figure out and she's losing every time to her on hardcourts, but we're talking about #1 and #2 players in the world (let's leave Serena out of this discussion - that's a whole different story) so it's not like she's struggling to beat nobodies like some she lost to when she had just returned from the shoulder injury.
I'm not saying she'll suddenly come out of nowhere beating Vika soon at YEC (of course I'd love to :hysteric:) but not even saying she's a worse player overall and she's not going to beat her again. I have faith enough to believe it's a thing within her reach, if she works on her confidence and her gameplay to beat her on hardcourts and not only on clay.

Mexicola
Oct 15th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Since we're on the topic of mentality (sort of...), can someone explain why she looked SO agitated early on in the 2nd set of her USO SF? I didn't catch the entire match, but it seemed like she was edgy as hell. Did something else happen as well? She's at her best when she's stoic, not flipping her hair over her face or hitting her racket

I first noticed this side of Maria during her Lisicki match at the Olympics. I've never seen her so visibly angry and frustrated during a match. I just chalked it up to Maria REALLY wanting to beat Sabine badly after what happened at the Wimbledon. But, at you said, the irritaed Maria returned at the US Open. And we also saw it again in Tokyo and Beijing.

I think part of the reason we're seeing this is that she just wants to win so much and is trying too hard. She really wanted to build on that clay success and it hasn't happened. And when the old DFs and errors return, she can't contain the frustration anymore, especially against someone like Vika. Just my theory.

Part of me likes seeing the demonstrative, passionate Maria, but classic, confident Maria mastered the poker face. As the commentators always loved to point out, no matter if Maria was winning or losing, her expression never changed. And that was the best Maria.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 15th, 2012, 05:24 AM

Completely agree. Slow indoor court, no wind, Serena hasn't played since USO. I so want her in her group. To get Maria going from the start if she indeed intends to win this tournament.

Reptilia
Oct 15th, 2012, 07:22 AM
I need these groups, ASAP :sobbing:

claypova
Oct 15th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I really want Aga, Kerber and Li in her YEC group :lol:

cautiouslip
Oct 15th, 2012, 11:49 AM
She's a human being guys, things happen, people change. Who knows what is going on in her tennis life as well as personal life that could effect the way she plays. I also noticed she has been getting angrier lately on court as opposed to her usual cool persona. Of course I'm hoping she will come out firing at the YEC a la 2007 but we will see. I'm staying optimistic, theres no doubt she is capable of beating Vika, and also at least giving serena a good match.

MM_1257
Oct 15th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I first noticed this side of Maria during her Lisicki match at the Olympics. I've never seen her so visibly angry and frustrated during a match. I just chalked it up to Maria REALLY wanting to beat Sabine badly after what happened at the Wimbledon. But, at you said, the irritaed Maria returned at the US Open. And we also saw it again in Tokyo and Beijing.

Hmmm... The Olympic Maria was totally different from Tokyo Maria and Tokyo was different from Beijing, not the same kind of frustration and not because of the same reasons. In my opinion.

dsanders06
Oct 15th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Maybe I didn't express myself well. I think Maria slowly reached/is reaching her mental peak... There is a lot of physical and mental effort invested in her tennis since 2008... And I think she is starting to crack up slightly... She is much more expressive, gets nervous and impatient and unsatisfied more easily than before surgery... This year even more evident than before... But maybe I am wrong.. Maybe I have just forgotten how it was before...

I agree with you saying that this year she's been more nervous/expressive/unsatisfied.

What I DON'T agree with is that it necessarily has to stay that way. Players are able to work on mental blocks -- look at Federer, he was choking matches left and right for most of 2011, and then he took a couple of months off working with his coach on how to stay calm in matches, and since then he's been able to stay mentally tough enough to win 2 of 3 matches against his bogeyman Nadal and has generally held his nerve in crunch matches.

(And no, I'm not saying Maria is anywhere close to Federer in terms of tennis talent, but I DO think she's mentally tougher in general than Federer has ever been, so the analogy stands I think.)

Besides, Vika is better than Kerber, so Kerber's match was so good to see, but it means nothing for the Maria vs. Vika matchup... In the latter Maria ends up being frustrated because Vika takes her game away from her and Maria is forced to do more even better in order to beat her and that is where the errors and impatience come in.

At the risk of sounding like a sore loser, there really is no doubt in my mind that Maria would've beaten Azarenka had she played like she did against Kerber :lol: Yes, Vika's better than Kerber, but not so much that she would've been able to hang with Maria in that form.

MM_1257
Oct 15th, 2012, 06:54 PM
What I DON'T agree with is that it necessarily has to stay that way. ple of months off working with his coach.
That is true. I agree. We will have to wait and see.

At the risk of sounding like a sore loser, there really is no doubt in my mind that Maria would've beaten Azarenka had she played like she did against Kerber :lol: Yes, Vika's better than Kerber, but not so much that she would've been able to hang with Maria in that form.

Um.. But the problem is that Maria doesn't play her game when playing Vika; her game is taken away from her by Vika.

jameshazza
Oct 15th, 2012, 09:21 PM
That is true. I agree. We will have to wait and see.

Um.. But the problem is that Maria doesn't play her game when playing Vika; her game is taken away from her by Vika.

Her game isn't taken away though IMO. :shrug:
I mean even from her Beijing match it was clear that whenever she blasted the ball into the corners she won a point. However, that only happened towards the end of both sets. What Maria was doing was 3/4 her shots back and force with no real angle or direction, presumably she was waiting to come in on the shorter ball but even when she got that chance she didn't come in (something that's been a big problem this year). Even though she hit some sizzlers to end those rallies 9/10 times she made the error. Instead of waiting for her chance to take a kill shot she should be blasting it CC with an angle. Because it ONLY take ONE big shot like that to end the point with Vika, especially if you hit it to her FH.

Oh, and BH DTL is essential also. Plus the serve, I mean she served like Vika in Beijing, flop pace with mediocre placement. :facepalm:

Trih
Oct 15th, 2012, 09:54 PM

I agree on this, when she plays Vika she somehow makes a lot of UE mainly because of Vika's game rather than herself.

Trih
Oct 16th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I wish I had video editing skills to transform this

VqAOf66o1Wg

into the YEC trailer :lol:

But I tried with a pic

http://i.imgur.com/FrAo8.jpg

what do you think? I need to complete it :oh: :lol:

karub
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Maria is coming to Istanbul today :)

NashaMasha
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I wish I had video editing skills to transform this

VqAOf66o1Wg

into the YEC trailer :lol:

But I tried with a pic

what do you think? I need to complete it :oh: :lol:

Tennisforum presentS

StarRing
Adaptation

Good idea, go ahead

Trih
Oct 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Tennisforum presentS

StarRing
Adaptation

Good idea, go ahead

Those words sounded weird to me too, I just copied the last part of the video :help:
But I don't know which SS members to put in the spaces :lol:

Kuzzy24
Oct 16th, 2012, 11:50 PM
I think Maria has a good chance to beat Serena here, because the times Serena has come to the Y.E.C with no preparation she doesn't do we'll.
Then again I feel like whenever Maria has a chance to beat Serena something always comes up to stop it. Like at the AO this year and at Rome and RG

JoPova
Oct 17th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I'll miss it. Every single match of this tournament to study all day (and night) long. I'll probably fail most of my exams nontheless :sobbing:

Slampova
Oct 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM
What if Sasha comes to watch her play :unsure:

PimpMePova
Oct 17th, 2012, 05:05 PM

I doubt it..it probably would be too awkward but I was also thinking about this.
Do you think this would distract her if it was to happen?:tape:

MM_1257
Oct 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM

Oh, do not worry. The woman broke his heart, he won't come to watch her free-willingly. Unless they have settled things,which I think is impossible. The city might have some sentimental value for her,but she is able to cope with that + her mum is with her.

ziros
Oct 17th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Oh, do not worry. The woman broke his heart
The rumour was that he cheated wasn't it? So I think it's more likely the other way round,but if he didn't then of course she would have been the one to end it as the pants-wearer of the relationship

killerqueen
Oct 17th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Any idea when the group draw is revealed? I think the ladies are all heading to Turkey around about now aren't they?

JoPova
Oct 18th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Indeed the rumours are that he cheated, but she'll never admit it and he's bound by contract not to embarrass the queen.

Nothing has been confirmed though. We just know that they were spending so much time apart, so they decided to break up. I don't know but I just can't picture Sasha doing something like that to Maria, but I may be wrong! :tape:

PimpMePova
Oct 18th, 2012, 10:08 AM
The rumour was that he cheated wasn't it? So I think it's more likely the other way round,but if he didn't then of course she would have been the one to end it as the pants-wearer of the relationship

I have never heard that rumour could you tell me where you read that??

Joelina
Oct 18th, 2012, 10:20 AM
i am so looking forward to this tournament, i want to see 2007 YEC Sharapova and then AO 2008 :hearts: C´mon girl!

JoPova
Oct 18th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I put it down to him not having a way to erm...release himself.

:lol: That's probably a part of it too, since they used to see each other every now and then! Anyway, I don't want a new BF too soon for Maria, so that she can focus full time on her career! :hearts:

domon17th
Oct 18th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Silver that signature banner :hearts:

MM_1257
Oct 18th, 2012, 04:03 PM

It was a rumour without names in it, neither was named. And rumours are not always true. We do not know what happened and why they broke up, but I am 98% sure it was her who ended the relationship. And he was heartbroken after it and still is, TBH. Was it by his fault or not, that I do not know.

Indeed the rumours are that he cheated, but she'll never admit it and he's bound by contract not to embarrass the queen.

There are no contracts. LOL. He is a private person, he has never spoken about any of his relationships publically, and probably won't do it now either.

Nothing has been confirmed though. We just know that they were spending so much time apart, so they decided to break up. I don't know but I just can't picture Sasha doing something like that to Maria, but I may be wrong! :tape:

Like you said, I agree. But like I always use to say, with famous people... I leave all the doors open not to end up too surprised. Anything is possible.. Sometimes your closest people surprise you, let alone strangers who are in the world of money and fame.

I have never heard that rumour could you tell me where you read that??

The posters are reffering to this:
http://www.crazydaysandnights.net/2012/07/four-for-friday-easy-ones.html

Cosmic Voices
Oct 18th, 2012, 05:44 PM
she did WHAT?
hhMgmkYHlM8

Break My Rapture
Oct 18th, 2012, 06:02 PM
She gave her Porsche away? :crying2: I also think Sasha would be quite loyal, he certainly looked to be very passionate about Maria and her tennis during 2011.

AnyWHO, when are these groups coming out damnit?

Shivank17
Oct 18th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Ok someone like Sasha cheating on someone like Maria just doesn't make sense. :lol: But well stranger things have happened(yes, I am looking at you, Stepanek. :tape: )

Draw on Sunday, can't wait. Just get Aga in your group.

MM_1257
Oct 18th, 2012, 07:32 PM
She gave her Porsche away? :crying2: I also think Sasha would be quite loyal, he certainly looked to be very passionate about Maria and her tennis during 2011.

AnyWHO, when are these groups coming out damnit?

NO!
Who said that?
You read it in those comments?? It is a speclation since on Eurosport the commies kapt telling when she won it how her fiancee wouldn't mind having it -- pure speculation, I am sure that they barely knew how he looked like. :lol:

As for Aga:

Twitter:
Ozan Arslan ‏@ArtofFart
My personal opinion, from both trainings today, if Radwanska matches up with Sharapova, Radwanska has greater chance then Sharapova has

jameshazza
Oct 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Maria must have been messy in training. Alos, I'm sure I seen her mention that the Porsche is in a garage somewhere and that she's given it to Yuri.

Shivank17
Oct 18th, 2012, 08:08 PM
And who is that person whom we must all believe? :spit: :unsure:

He might well be an Agatha fan. :shrug:

Oh well I don't want another loss to Aga though :hysteric:

Break My Rapture
Oct 18th, 2012, 08:30 PM
If Maria dares fuck up against Agatha again, I.....

:tape::tape:

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 18th, 2012, 08:47 PM
I'm confident that Maria would give Haga a smack in her butt if they were to meet here. She would be motivated enough to break through Haga's defense.

But what I really really want is Serena in her group.

Craig.
Oct 18th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Lord, is it the offseason already? :yawn:

MM_1257
Oct 18th, 2012, 09:24 PM
I'm confident that Maria would give Haga a smack in her butt if they were to meet here. She would be motivated enough to break through Haga's defense.

But what I really really want is Serena in her group.

-first bold - I hope so, but since Miami I cannot say I believe so (I used to consider the matches vs Aga a granted thing, something like - she surely is going to bet her); we will see- defenseQueen can be a WALL.

-secpnd bold - NO; NO NO NO!!!! The matches against Serena kill her, and another beatdown in RR woun't do her any good.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 18th, 2012, 09:29 PM
-first bold - I hope so, but since Miami I cannot say I believe so (I used to consider the matches vs Aga a granted thing, something like - she surely is going to bet her); we will see- defenseQueen can be a WALL.

-secpnd bold - NO; NO NO NO!!!! The matches against Serena kill her, and another beatdown in RR woun't do her any good.

But imagine what a win against her would do to her confidence :drool:

MM_1257
Oct 18th, 2012, 09:33 PM
But imagine what a win against her would do to her confidence :drool:

eemmmm?? http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/15400000/Barbie-A-Fashion-Fairytale-barbie-a-fashion-fairytale-15465285-800-600.jpg :devil: :p ;)
Fantasising too much?

JoPova
Oct 19th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't have high expectations for the tournament? :o I think it's going to be another Vika-Serena final with Serena winning. Don't get me wrong, that would be a great final indeed, but I'd love to see something different, like a Petra-Maria final with Maria winning! :hearts:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 19th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't have high expectations for the tournament? :o I think it's going to be another Vika-Serena final with Serena winning. Don't get me wrong, that would be a great final indeed, but I'd love to see something different, like a Petra-Maria final with Maria winning! :hearts:

we all would :oh:

mc8114
Oct 20th, 2012, 12:20 AM
I'm excited about the tournament overall :bounce::lol:

Marilyn Monheaux
Oct 20th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Thread title still sucks. "Humiliate"? "Haga"? What happened to having (and showing!) some respect for the opposition? :rolleyes:

Crux Squall
Oct 20th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Thread title still sucks. "Humiliate"? "Haga"? What happened to having (and showing!) some respect for the opposition? :rolleyes:

I agree

Mexicola
Oct 20th, 2012, 02:02 AM

I agree. I said a couple of weeks ago that I couldn't envision anything other than a Vika/Serena final at the YEC. The other six girls are just fodder. You look at what Serena did this summer and Azarenka's form in the beginning and now end of the year and there's no question they've been head and shoulders the two best players this year on tour. That Maria effort against Vika in Beijing spoke volumes. Of course I'll be hoping against hope that Maria can somehow find the inner strength to elevate her game one more time in 2012 for this tournament, but Serena and Vika are in a whole other class than Maria right now. She'll need a miracle to win.

One thing I'm not so sure of is Serena winning if she meets Vika. Serena has to have some rust after such a long layoff and Vika will be extremely motivated to beat her after coming so close at the US Open. Plus, her game is really sharp right now.

jameshazza
Oct 20th, 2012, 02:53 AM
:lol:
I came up with a theory earlier but am too tired to post now. I will tomorrow, not that anyone reads my essays or essay posts in general anyway. :hysteric:

ziros
Oct 20th, 2012, 04:06 AM
I agree. I said a couple of weeks ago that I couldn't envision anything other than a Vika/Serena final at the YEC. The other six girls are just fodder. You look at what Serena did this summer and Azarenka's form in the beginning and now end of the year and there's no question they've been head and shoulders the two best players this year on tour. That Maria effort against Vika in Beijing spoke volumes. Of course I'll be hoping against hope that Maria can somehow find the inner strength to elevate her game one more time in 2012 for this tournament, but Serena and Vika are in a whole other class than Maria right now. She'll need a miracle to win.

One thing I'm not so sure of is Serena winning if she meets Vika. Serena has to have some rust after such a long layoff and Vika will be extremely motivated to beat her after coming so close at the US Open. Plus, her game is really sharp right now.
Oh no,now even Maria fans are overrating Vika to ridiculous proportions

cautiouslip
Oct 20th, 2012, 08:52 AM
getting really close to putting mexicola on the ignore list :sobbing:

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 20th, 2012, 09:09 AM

Bitchy Maria doesn't have respect for opposition on court. We want determined Pova out there not respecting others and welcoming others to the slam club Pova :oh:.

Crux Squall
Oct 20th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Tomorrow the draw ceremony will begin, i want Maria and Radwanska in same group

Lachy
Oct 20th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Rat rat rat rat rat wanskaaaaaa

Effy
Oct 20th, 2012, 12:49 PM

please..there is little such thing on this board in general

JamieOwen3
Oct 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM
On one level I agree with the showing respect to the opposition, then I see how much respect Maria's getting from most and I turn to couldn't care less mode about the title of the thread.

Trih
Oct 20th, 2012, 04:55 PM
please..there is little such thing on this board in general

On one level I agree with the showing respect to the opposition, then I see how much respect Maria's getting from most and I turn to couldn't care less mode about the title of the thread.

I don't think it's a good reason to lower to their level.

JamieOwen3
Oct 20th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I'm not saying that, I'm saying I don't care :shrug: It's like "the norm" on TF these days anyway....

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 20th, 2012, 06:07 PM
We are making such a big deal out of this.

heelsrule1988
Oct 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Would be better if Serena was next to the "humiliated" part.

Craig.
Oct 20th, 2012, 06:57 PM

No such thing on TF.

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 20th, 2012, 07:01 PM
The draw is tomorrow right :cheer:?

MS17
Oct 20th, 2012, 07:25 PM
^
yes :)

WTA‏@WTA

The #WTAChamps draw is scheduled for Sunday, October 21st at 6pm Istanbul/4pm London/11am New York. Stay Tuned!! #WTA #tennis

Good Luck Maria :bounce:

I want a group with Serena , Kerber and Errani for her :angel:

Trih
Oct 20th, 2012, 07:31 PM
will they broadcast the draw somewhere or we just have to wait the outcome? :o

Ollie.
Oct 20th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Maria's the player I'm rooting for at the YEC! :cheer:

Mr.Sharapova
Oct 20th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Maria's the player I'm rooting for at the YEC! :cheer:

:cheer:.

Anyways I want Rena and Aga in her group :angel:. But I especially want Rena in there. I think that a good showing against her would do Maria good. Snatch that YE1# gurl :cheer:.

Ollie.
Oct 20th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Anyways I want Rena and Aga in her group :angel:. But I especially want Rena in there. I think that a good showing against her would do Maria good. Snatch that YE1# gurl :cheer:.

A win against Serena would be amazing. :hearts: And she really has to get revenge on Aga tbh...there is no way that Aga has the weapons to beat Maria on a good day!

Effy
Oct 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM
No such thing on TF.

i meant this :lol:

^

I want a group with Serena , Kerber and Errani for her :angel:

nah, not Serena their match will end up as usual.
Aga, Kerber and Errani would be perfect :p :angel:

Jeffery
Oct 20th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a match against Serena...I think her best chance to see where she's at, and hey, if Serena puts in a rusty performance, playing well against her would surely give Maria lots of confidence.

This.

Maria, Aga and Rena in the same group. :lick:

It's time for some revenge.

Kon.
Oct 20th, 2012, 08:38 PM

This.

Maria, Aga and Rena in the same group. :lick:

It's time for some revenge.

Serena and Aga can't be in the same group though, can they? They're seeded 3rd and 4th.

MS17
Oct 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM
i meant this :lol:

nah, not Serena their match will end up as usual.
Aga, Kerber and Errani would be perfect :p :angel:

I think a match with Serena in the groups round is way better than SF or F !
and Maria never faced Serena twice in a small period of time before :p so it will give her a good chance to do better in the second at least if it does happen ! :lol:

JamieOwen3
Oct 20th, 2012, 10:09 PM
:lol:

http://i49.tinypic.com/21cwozn.gif

Cosmic Voices
Oct 20th, 2012, 10:33 PM
left handed embarrassedpova :lol:

toyec1
Oct 20th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Hey Guys, sorry to intreupt the flow of this forum, but tonight is probably going to be my last tennis order before the Australian Open and I was wondering what I should buy for Maria to autograph. Nothing too expensive please!

What do you think? With the low class players, I will just get them to sign a photo, but Maria deserves something special! ;)

Cosmic Voices
Oct 20th, 2012, 10:53 PM
buy her a large poster of Camilla Belle to sign :oh:

Stonerpova
Oct 20th, 2012, 10:56 PM
buy her a large poster of Camilla Belle to sign :oh:

:sobbing:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 20th, 2012, 11:04 PM
GRIFFIN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR NAME??? lawd :sobbing:
I've changed, hipster has...we're all bi-polar

Effy
Oct 20th, 2012, 11:08 PM
long and hard should change his, thats for sure :rolls: :hug:

Craig.
Oct 20th, 2012, 11:13 PM
:sobbing:

WTF is this name? :o

Reptilia
Oct 20th, 2012, 11:47 PM
long and hard should change his, thats for sure :rolls: :hug:

this :lol:

Reptilia
Oct 21st, 2012, 12:00 AM
Ahhh just had my first trip to GM in a loong time :crying2: That place is a freakin' zoo. I don't know how people can actually read through, and post in those troll threads on a regular basis

JamieOwen3
Oct 21st, 2012, 12:19 AM
People argue about the same thing in different threads there, it's annoying when you go there and see the same argument going on.... Like a broken record.

Stonerpova
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:15 AM
GRIFFIN WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO YOUR NAME??? lawd :sobbing:
I've changed, hipster has...we're all bi-polar

Idk I was ready for a change. We studied chromium, which is a metallic element, in geo lab freshman year and I thought it was pretty badass. Plus it's the name of a character in a video game by buddies and I played when we were younger :lol:

WTF is this name? :o

Should you really be talking? :p

I appreciate the support guys :lol: :wavey:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:24 AM
It'll just take a little getting used to thats all :sobbing:

Trih
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:24 AM
Everytime you guys change sig + nickname I'm lost. :sobbing: I'll never know who I'll be reading or writing to. :rolls:

Reptilia
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:26 AM
It is really confusing! I only just figured out Silver Slam is Hipster :lol::o

Cosmic Voices
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:29 AM
Well for anyone whose lost:

HipsterPova is now SilverSlam
I was serbian_siren
and Griffin (:hysteric: I loved that name) is now Chromium

Stonerpova
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:31 AM
Well for anyone whose lost:

HipsterPova is now SilverSlam
I was serbian_siren
and Griffin (:hysteric: I loved that name) is now Chromium

My name is actually Griffin, so you can still call me it :lol:

Cosmic Voices
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:33 AM
My name is actually Griffin, so you can still call me it :lol:

i'll only confuse everyone if i did that, i still call silverslam hipster, and accidentally call (and mix up) jameshazza with jamie :sobbing:

it's too much

Cosmic Voices
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:36 AM
btw I love how we have a kinda of Charlie's Angels group going on. Povas Angels :oh:
http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j420/cosmicvoices/ss-3.jpg

Reptilia
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:44 AM
Moustachepova still makes me LOL :hysteric:

Craig.
Oct 21st, 2012, 01:52 AM
Moustachepova still makes me LOL :hysteric:

:angel:

domon17th
Oct 21st, 2012, 06:23 AM
Guys I just watched a bit of KvittyGOAT's highlights on Youtube of her win at Istanbul last year. I'm just not sure if I'll want Maria to face her too :unsure::hysteric:

Stonerpova
Oct 21st, 2012, 06:42 AM
Guys I just watched a bit of KvittyGOAT's highlights on Youtube of her win at Istanbul last year. I'm just not sure if I'll want Maria to face her too :unsure::hysteric:

Kvitova isn't at the level she was a year ago. Even if she was, better her than Aza or Serena :unsure:

Shivank17
Oct 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM
It would be so awesome if Kvitova, Serena and Vika are in the same group. And Petra turns all GOAT like last year and sends Vichka packing back to Belarus in group stage. :oh: And then folds like a cheap tent in the semis against Maria :angel: