PDA

View Full Version : Music: Nightwish replaces Anette Olzon with Floor Jansen!

NoppaNoppa
Oct 4th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I know they are not big band across the pond, but this is HUGE news here.

In short
Nightwish is female fronted metal band (founded about decade before Evanscence)
Bands composer is Tuomas Holopainen. He writes all music and lyrics. Band has been active for about 15 years. First singer was Tarja Turunen and second Anette Olzon. Those are only major lineup changes in bands history. Wait.. who is this Floor Jansen?

ZVKO1JwlKf0

King Halep
Oct 5th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Bring back Tarja just to stop the whining

Gilas.
Oct 5th, 2012, 06:14 AM
They can try but no one can replace Tarja. I stopped listening to them shortly after Tarja era anyway.

Michalka
Oct 5th, 2012, 06:40 AM
OMG? it is surely big news for Nightwish fans like me :sobbing:

What is the exact reason stated for the replacement of Anette? I know Tarja was fired from the band due to attitude issues and stuff, but Anette?

MaBaker
Oct 5th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Much better than Britney Olzon.

Still waiting for Tarja to come home though :sigh:

NoppaNoppa
Oct 5th, 2012, 11:19 AM
What is the exact reason stated for the replacement of Anette?

She became a diva, so they kicked her out... :confused: Just kidding. In Dutch radio interview Floor said that she was scheduled to replace Anette after Helsinki concert (November 10th). Also Anette was not kicked out, nor did she just leave. I believe official version that bands and Anettes interest were not met. As a result both parties were happy not to continue working together. Afterall she is 41 years, mother of two very young ones, and likely wants to spend time with them.

Floor is not official singer of NW. She is replacement for remaining days of World Tour, that ends in January. Im not being asked, but Floor should be hired as frontwoman of the band asap. Last time it took nearly two years to find a new singer. Sort of test period for her to tour 4 months. If boys dont like her, then find another. Floors caliber singers dont grow in trees. Very happy that she agreed to be part of the band :)

Lord Choc Ice
Oct 5th, 2012, 12:36 PM
Much better than Britney Olzon.

Still waiting for Tarja to come home though :sigh:
It usually happens in the end if other bands are an indicator.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 8th, 2012, 04:39 PM
It usually happens in the end if other bands are an indicator.

I can safely say that in Nightwishes case it will never happen :wavey:

Floors singing is combination of both previous singers and gives Tuomas nearly limitless opinions for future. Now he has pretty much every tool that composer can imagine. Male basso only one of quartet of bace voices missing. But if needed that can be arranged, rather easily as we have some world class bassoes here. Have not read any of "new fans" to abandon ship. But I have read numerous comments that "old folk" is climbing back onboard! (Including me)

Floor gets better and better as she learns the songs dynamics. Compare that OP performance and that of last night or next night, any night :D In short. Nightwish situation is like watching child learning to walk - for second time!

edit: afaik Holopainen never moshed at gigs. Nor did lead vocalist. Now?

Chip.
Oct 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Bye bitch :wavey:

Super Dave
Oct 8th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Cool ass band :rocker2:

saint2
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Nightwish is a parody...

MaBaker
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I can safely say that in Nightwishes case it will never happen :wavey:
How can you safely say that?

NoppaNoppa
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Nightwish is a parody...

...of ?

Band finally found replacement to original singer. She is that good that after hearing her nobody cares of that original singer! (just like Maiden) One basist change and couple vocalist changes in 15 year history. That is one solid band! Like Iron Maiden, whose Blaze Bailey replacement of The Bruce was as catastrofical as this.

MaBaker
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:16 PM
...of ?

Band finally found replacement to original singer. She is that good that after hearing her nobody cares of that original singer! (just like Maiden) One basist change and couple vocalist changes in 15 year history. That is one solid band! Like Iron Maiden, whose Blaze Bailey replacement of The Bruce was as catastrofical as this.
You are delusional.

NoppaNoppa
How can you safely say that?

Im suicidal? No seriously. I have been around... Take it what its worth :D

saint2
...of ?

Of music obviously. Is this rock'n'roll ? Polite music for good kids, with good grades at school who doesn't know how the beer tastes in the park :devil::devil::devil:

MaBaker
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Im suicidal? No seriously. I have been around... Take it what its worth :D
You've been around what? You don't make sense.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:17 PM
You are delusional.

You have not heard Floor sing older songs yet :wavey:

NoppaNoppa
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM
You've been around what? You don't make sense.

I dont? Scene in Finland isnt that huge.

MaBaker
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:18 PM
You have not heard Floor sing older songs yet :wavey:
I heard enough. She sounds like Tarja. She will never be Tarja. That's it.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM
I heard enough. She sounds like Tarja. She will never be Tarja. That's it.

Solid opinion. Never? She is already better! Oh btw OP clip is from one of first gigs. When she had a flu and did not know the words! How about 5 days later?

6ZJdJ445F5U

MaBaker
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Solid opinion. Never? She is already better! Oh btw OP clip is from one of first gigs. When she had a flu and did not know the words! How about 5 days later?
I still have the same opinion. But it's definitely better than Anette. Anyway, what do you mean by the scene in Finland is not that big? That doesn't mean anything, unless you know Tuomas, you can't say that you can be sure of Tarja not coming back at some point.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Anyway, what do you mean by the scene in Finland is not that big?

You are pulling my leg? As you hail from country that has population of 65 million and Im from country that has only 5 million. I say it this way. In small scenes people tend to know eachother. Satisfied? I add that I have no direct connection to any of the Nightwish family members. Rumours, rumours, friends gossip, rumours...

MaBaker
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:47 PM
You are pulling my leg? As you hail from country that has population of 65 million and Im from country that has only 5 million. I say it this way. In small scenes people tend to know eachother. Satisfied? I add that I have no direct connection to any of the Nightwish family members. Rumours, rumours, friends gossip, rumours...
I'm not from a country with 65 million of people. But you saying something for sure just because of rumours/friends gossip, doesn't make sense.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 8th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I'm not from a country with 65 million of people. But you saying something for sure just because of rumours/friends gossip, doesn't make sense.

Well, maybe I should have added a clauce? Here it is. Not sure, but as I have been around the scene for two decades I kinda know whose word to trust and whose not. Happy?

Timariot
Oct 8th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Really, this got me all excited for Nightwish. Anette was good in studio albums...but live, she was just pretty average. Nightwish visited my hometown couple of times but despite being big fan of the band, I just couldn't get excited over their live show. Anette lacked the voice and presence of a metal singer. Tarja was also not that great live performer. Floor, OTOH, is crazy over with the crowds already.

You know, it is pretty funny when NW fans have been fighting Tarja vs Anette battle for 5 years, then when Anette was sick, Elize Ryd filled her in with 30 minutes preparation and sounded better live than Anette OR Tarja ever:

EFT9w0Aw1UU

And now there is Floor acing the songs with few weeks preparation. It begs the question, why the hell was NW handicapping itself with average singers for so long??

NoppaNoppa
Oct 8th, 2012, 07:33 PM
It begs the question, why the hell was NW handicapping itself with average singers for so long??

Only one man can answer. He who is taking all hits! Last album cost 1.2 million and brough in 500 thousand. Roughly. I have no idea of real numbers. I think they broke even, at best.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 8th, 2012, 07:36 PM
It begs the question, why the hell was NW handicapping itself with average singers for so long??

After Forever was still active then.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM
When replacement singers twitter says occupation - Singer/songwriter/vocal teacher Im sold.

King Halep
Oct 9th, 2012, 04:14 AM
lead singer wars

http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Popcorn-03-Scarlett-Johanssen.gif

Lord Choc Ice
Oct 9th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Nice name BTW. The opening act for Nightwish at their concerts can always say "the Floor is now yours" :oh:.

Timariot
Oct 10th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Nice name BTW. The opening act for Nightwish at their concerts can always say "the Floor is now yours" :oh:.

Best thing is of course that she wipes the floor with her predecessors!

Ho ho, I kill me.

Danči Dementia
Oct 10th, 2012, 09:00 PM
I gotta say when I heard the news I got pretty exited, even knowing its not something permanent (as of yet :angel:)

I dont think Tarja will be back in Nightwish, unless she divorces Marcelo :oh:

I LOVE Floor, shes one of my favorite metal godesses, shes got the voice (and sings as good live) and shes got a badass headbanger attitude, and what I love the most about her is that whenever shes giving a concert she looks comfortable singing metal, her headbanging and performance are natural, it looks like she belongs there, nothing looks forced, not even her air guitar moves:lol::hearts: She is the whole package, shes a queen.

I hope shell stay, she will be good for the band, many fans didnt even give Nightwish a shot after Tarja was gone, but now with Floor theyll definitely do it (of course taking out those die hard Tarja fans that see her as the victim and see the rest of the band as the devil of everything that went on), afterall Floor is not a nobody in the metal scene, she happens to be one of the most loved and respected ladies out there.

now when hearing the old Nightwish songs sang by someone else other than Tarka, I wont be nearly in tears. and there wont be this Tarja vs Floor as it was Tarja vs Anette, which got very annoying.

I do love Tarja (only with Nightwish though!) but for me Floor>>>>>>>Tarja (and just about 90% of the female headbangers bunch):)

While Floor has her band and work, she does sound quite exited about being singing for Nightwish:
What do you do when Nightwish asks you to join them on tour? Stay calm and say, well OK….? Or does your heart start beating twice as fast instantly, hands start to sweat and your mouth is unwilling to pronounce words like “that sounds amazing”.,

which gives me a hope shell stay. Of course if shes asked to, I hope Tuomas wont be a fool and not ask her, or even if he doesnt (:() at least get a girl that will do justice to the band and their songs (someone like Lori Lewis :worship:), Annete did her thing, but for me Nightwish was way too big for her.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
... one song tells it all (Dark Chest of Wonders)

With Tarja
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3sgXMnVmao

With Anette
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKvN041uN3s

With Floor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZJdJ445F5UWtf

Wtf was Anette doing in this band?!

CatTs
Oct 12th, 2012, 07:19 PM
:eek:

Even though I don't really care.

pov
Oct 12th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Best thing is of course that she wipes the floor with her predecessors!

Ho ho, I kill me.

Yeah. I'm floor-ed by your humor. ;)

Timariot
Oct 13th, 2012, 10:16 PM
They brought back Ghost Love Score to their live set, their probably most beloved song! And it sounds GREAT :eek:

xP-vwBqCTxg

5kGe-1L2Ogc

If Tuomas doesn't sign her in, he's mad.

MaBaker
Oct 15th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Even her pronunciation of English is good. Maidz me sik.

NoppaNoppa
Oct 18th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Someone commented "Best newcomer Ive seen since Kiss -75" :eek:

Monzanator
Oct 19th, 2012, 06:41 PM
If a band looks for a carbon copy of the original piece, it usually fails. HW needs to find a new style for it's NEW lead singer :shrug:

NoppaNoppa
Oct 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM
If a band looks for a carbon copy of the original piece, it usually fails. HW needs to find a new style for it's NEW lead singer :shrug:

No! They used to be awesome. Then they tried to go "BlazeBailey" and failed miserably. Floor is best that they could have come with. She is awe-so-me!

Band that recently replased original with updated version. Queensryche (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_asEAwWVQ) :) Who was Geoff Tate? :p 30 years legacy spitted away. Fans hope he never again sings in QR! Tarjas legacy is as long as Anettes. Neither is missed now that we have Floor :bounce:

Monzanator
Oct 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
OK, die-hard fans will embrace every new singer but to most people the real Nightwish ended after the split with Tarja :shrug:

Timariot
Oct 22nd, 2012, 07:29 PM
OK, die-hard fans will embrace every new singer but to most people the real Nightwish ended after the split with Tarja :shrug:

Nonsense. It's actually most people who accept Nightwish with a new singer, and only few diehards who hold into Tarja - just like there were bunch of people who refused to accept Iron Maiden with Dickinson singing.

Tarja was always very polarising figure, she sounded good on early albums but was awful on Once, and pretty terrible live performer.

Nightwish sold much more records during Anette era than during Tarja era.