PDA

View Full Version : ~ The Figure Skating Season 2012-2013~

M2k
Sep 30th, 2012, 02:42 AM
Well kids it has arrived !!

Another year ! Another season!

Only three weeks left before the start of the Grand Prix Series.

But for now We have the results from Nebelhorn Trophy:

Oda won the gold medal. IMO the best I have ever seen him skate. His skating has improved a lot! :eek:

*Disaster for Sotnikova as she gets upset at the very last moment, by a Canadian woman no less! :eek:

Chock & Bates won after a great skate, and for the first time hit 90 points in the FD. Evan needs to watch it in the short dance though, as he is prone to mistakes. By far the catchiest SD we have seen. Great to see some energy and spark.

QcPZsmumxb4

Volosozhar/ Trankov were unmatched of course and rightfully won the tittle. They look much more polished than last year, and their packaging is more sophisticated. Those darn spins are still their undoing though. :tape:

Sir Stefwhit
Sep 30th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Yeah BABY!! really excited about the start of a new season. It sucks that my area got rid if Universal Sports, i guess I have to subscribe to some online nonsense.

http://web.icenetwork.com/images/2011/09/14/m9PRCAYD.jpg
http://img2.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/v/f/vf5l8oadlmcsvs5l.jpg
http://nimg.sulekha.com/sports/original700/miki-ando-2009-12-27-11-10-13.jpg
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID20118/images/Mao_Asada_FS_3.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XOy6Gy9F8t8/TR2z6ZafzzI/AAAAAAAABjA/4-qJVPliuGY/s1600/virtue%2Bmoir.jpg
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/.a/6a00d8341c60fd53ef0120a803464f970b-800wi
http://mimg.ugo.com/201002/37174/clowns.jpg

Things I'd love most to happen this season:
*Davis/White to beat Virtue/Moir
*both Marai and Zhange to be consistent all year long and both to make it to worlds
*I want to see Elizaveta have a great season
* Mao and Miki return back to the top

IceSkaTennisFan
Sep 30th, 2012, 04:07 AM
I'm going to US Nats in 2014 when they come here to Boston :bounce: Anyone else thinking of going?

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 1st, 2012, 12:11 AM
I'm going to US Nats in 2014 when they come here to Boston :bounce: Anyone else thinking of going?

Seeing Nationals was one of my all time favorite sports memories! U can even hear me scream in Michele Kwans short program..lol (wasn't too far from the mic). I think I got really lucky and saw one of the best US Nationals ever!

This was back in 2002 (Los Angeles)- and on night one all the big names nailed their routines, they each got better one after the other. That period was probably a peak for US talent, we were so damn deep back then. Michelle Kwan, Sarah Hughes, Sasha Cohen, Angela Nikidinov, and Jennifer Kirk. I saw Alissa Czisny earlier that day, although she wasn't a big name then.

Nikidinov :sad: ...So sad first she loses her coach to cancer then has a car accident that kills her mother. I understand why she never skated again, sad we didn't get a chance to see her live up to her potential:

TRZwjvMaVaQ

dybbuk
Oct 1st, 2012, 12:54 AM
Let's not forget one of the most beautiful short programs of the past several years, from a girl knocked for being "unartistic." :hearts:

WtazJH-amd8

And YUZU-CHAN is coming to snatch all your favorite's wigs this year. I suggest you all convert now so his Gold Medal snatching rampage this year will ba pleasant rather than terrifying experience for you all.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma27wx5sqz1rqqvu8o4_r2_250.gif

M2k
Oct 1st, 2012, 02:54 AM
Here are the winning performances of this week's Nebelhorn Trophy:

C/B

zm3r2utNDbc

V/T

CGGlJ_qfNxk

Osmond

duHhEVNQRWU

Oda

tQNgHJ_uAaI

Speaking of Hanyu he's going head to head with some major competitors.

Next week's "Finlandia Trophy" will have very notable skaters.

Men:

Yuzuru Hanyu
Javier Fernandez
Johnny Weir
Richard Dornbush

* This is mouthwatering :drool: I think the title is between Hanyu & Fernandez, but omg by all accounts Johnny is looking exceptional! :hearts: Plus USFSA seems to be politiking* hardcore for the old guy which is nice to see for a change. I'll go with Weir!!!!

Dance:
Virtue/Moir
Capellini/Lanotte
Bobrova/Soloviev
Hubbel/Donohue

V/M and C/L will go 1-2, but the real battle is between B/S and H/D. Right now B/S's stock has taken somewhat of a hit, however they are better known/respected (than H/D) at this point. Too close to call imo*

Women:
Lipniskaya
Nagasu
Korpi

It'll be interesting to see what Lipniskaya is able to do as a first time senior. I'm not sure what to make of Nagasu and Korpi at this point. :confused:

edificio
Oct 1st, 2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the links, OP. Interesting to see the skaters all working out their new programs. If Oda can get it together, I just love his skating, and I would be happy.

Universal Sports got killed where I am, so I doubt I'll see much figure skating competition, except YouTube clips. :sad: Sometimes it seems as if figure skating is moribund in the U.S. Probably just seems that way because of poor television coverage.

I am also curious to see what Johnny Weir has to offer after so many years.

GoofyDuck
Oct 1st, 2012, 06:50 PM
Volozoshar/Trankov & Davis/White Good luck! :hearts:

Yashal
Oct 2nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
Hopefully this season:
Mao will get her shit together again :sad:
Miki will come back to the top :cheer:
Tukty will have a great season :cheer:
Fernandez will perform well in both SP and FS at Euros and Worlds :sobbing:
Brezina won't finish always fourth at big events :hysteric:
Chan will win silver medals :rolleyes:
Rippon will have his amazing curly hair back :sobbing:
Davis&White will win in Canada over the Canadians :unsure:
Cappellini&Lanotte will overtake some russian couple and medal at Euros :armed:
Volosozhar&Trankov will win a World gold medal :bounce:
We won't have to watch hundreds of programs on Black Swan music :mad:

delicatecutter
Oct 2nd, 2012, 07:39 PM
Poor Adelina. Looks like puberty got her. She seems to have lost her amazing jumping ability. :sad: I'm not sure she's even doing a lutz anymore, let alone her amazing lutz-loop combo.

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 3rd, 2012, 06:41 PM
I didn't bother commenting on the men because I can't take them seriously. Watching the over-hyped and OVER-SCORED P.Chan fall and stumble his way to an all time high score is not my idea of fun. He's got those judges in his back pocket... I just don't get it- even with all of his so called elevated artistic and technical elements ...sorry I'm not a believer. I feel the same way but to a lesser extent with Carolina Kostner as well.

dybbuk
Oct 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM
Well kids it has arrived !!

Another year ! Another season!

Only three weeks left before the start of the Grand Prix Series.

But for now We have the results from Nebelhorn Trophy:

Oda won the gold medal. IMO the best I have ever seen him skate. His skating has improved a lot! :eek:

*Disaster for Sotnikova as she gets upset at the very last moment, by a Canadian woman no less! :eek:

Chock & Bates won after a great skate, and for the first time hit 90 points in the FD. Evan needs to watch it in the short dance though, as he is prone to mistakes. By far the catchiest SD we have seen. Great to see some energy and spark.

QcPZsmumxb4

Volosozhar/ Trankov were unmatched of course and rightfully won the tittle. They look much more polished than last year, and their packaging is more sophisticated. Those darn spins are still their undoing though. :tape:

I just remembered. Don't you hate Johnny? :lol: I just seem to remember you hating on him a lot. Why are you cheering him comeback.

M2k
Oct 5th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Results just in
1)Fernandez 80.77
NbDfhulAmWk
2)Hanyu 75.57
KFBk1ujPhVA
3)Dornbush 71.19
L5XjY3EReFo
4)Weir 69.03
XaCdSZ-sZJc

Thats fantastic! :worship: Nothing beats nationals right before the Olympics!!!

It's such a longshot for me though(I wish it were in the West coast instead) but who knows there is still time to save some money.:lol:

I just remembered. Don't you hate Johnny? :lol: I just seem to remember you hating on him a lot. Why are you cheering him comeback.
:confused:
I disliked his attitude in the latter part of his career. It was such a turn off for me, however I never stopped being a fan.

Poor Adelina. Looks like puberty got her. She seems to have lost her amazing jumping ability. :sad: I'm not sure she's even doing a lutz anymore, let alone her amazing lutz-loop combo. Remember that sometimes it takes more than a year to recover from puberty. Adelina should take comfort that, at the very least, her body is not falling apart like Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's. Now that's someone that should be worry about her prospects for next year.
----
Ondrej N. Trophy is also underway
live stream: http://live.huste.tv/stream/04-10-12-z-ondrej-nepela-trophy-2012

W/P SD

3s4tixqY9aw

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 6th, 2012, 02:57 PM
^Dornbush in 3rd after the short- good for him. I remember him skating at the US Nationals where he ended up winning the free skate and out of nowhere landed on the podium. That was an amazing free skate (Sherlock Holms). I figured that was a fluke cuz his showing at worlds wasn't too great but maybe he's legit after all, we shall see...

skanky~skanketta
Oct 6th, 2012, 05:41 PM
Maxim Trankov is fucking gorgeous. I. Want. Him.

dybbuk
Oct 6th, 2012, 11:24 PM
FIRST GOLD OF MANY THIS YEAR FOR YUZU-CHAN. Bye to all the flops he slayed this week.

M2k
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Kiira's [beautiful] brand of skating brings tears to my eyes. :hearts: Her upper body looks more relaxed now, gone are the days when it looked like she was skating with a neck brace or something. Her grace, costuming, music, choreography, femininity, and natural beauty are the perfect blend that makes someone stand out. She's a wonderful talent and that 69+ score is well deserve.

SP

AGV7RI2XHso

Lipnitskaya, not bad for her first competition. Right now it's all about getting experience as a senior competitor and feedback for the things she needs to work on in the future. I may be wrong but I think she's going through a growth spurt at this time, so my only concern is that her extreme flexibility might bring her [negative] long lasting effects. This is definitely the time where her coach should advise her to water down her routines. As impressive as her variation of a biellmann spin is (imo her spin is entirely different from a Biellmann so it should be called after her, a Lipnitskaya.) I can't help but think it's going to mess up her back really bad. Her coach is not thinking long term.

Wow Yuzuru put up a clinic out there!!! When he finished he fell to the ice exhausted. Was his leg cramping? It looked painful.

Dornbush took down Fernandez. I was not expecting that! A clear message to USFSA for sure.

Weir needs to absorb all the valuable feedback he got from this comp and put it to good use on the Grand Prix. The US is doing a good job in sending their skaters to all these tier two comps to get them ready for the GP. :clap2:

Congrats to Ashley Wagner and Daisuke Takahashi for winning the Japan Open with phenomenal performances. Wow. A lot of skating going on this week!

I'm really impress by W/P and P/B progress. Little by little they are inching closer two D/W & V/M territory. :eek: Those are some serious programs imo.

W/P from Ondrej N. Trophy

A1cStJKvN54

P/B from French Masters

nbqu60DwfoE

dybbuk
Oct 7th, 2012, 02:06 AM
^^

Yuzuru has been injured, that's probably why he was so exhausted. He had an ankle injury that he almost had to pull out of the event because of, and he has asthma that has been bothering him.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 13th, 2012, 07:34 PM
NEWS: Lyscacek has withdrawn from Skate America..... again

Skate America starts Friday night :wavey:

Notable People:
Men: Hanyu, Kozuka, Verner, Brezina, Abbott
Ladies: Leonova, Sotnikova, Wagner
Pairs: Pang/Tong, Volosozhar/Trankov, Denney/Coughlin
Dance: Davis/White, Weaver/Poje, Bobrova/Soloviev

M2k
Oct 14th, 2012, 07:04 PM
---> :tape:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 20th, 2012, 01:22 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/globetrotting/chi-live-figure-skating-coverage-disappears-20121018,0,4345651.column

I think this is a great article.
The fading out of figure skating from the US conscious is due to the deteriorating coverage of the sport. It's pretty pitiful, two hours for your home Grand Prix.
In Canada, for Skate Canada we get every event live on TV.

M2k
Oct 20th, 2012, 03:26 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/globetrotting/chi-live-figure-skating-coverage-disappears-20121018,0,4345651.column

I think this is a great article.
The fading out of figure skating from the US conscious is due to the deteriorating coverage of the sport. It's pretty pitiful, two hours for your home Grand Prix.
In Canada, for Skate Canada we get every event live on TV.

I hate Universal Sports for screwing my skating viewing :fiery:

In the mean time here's a streaming link for SA. Skating is about to start in 11 mins.
http://www.hahasport.com/v-4/6/46/v-464766.html

dybbuk
Oct 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Yuzu-chan is first after the free skate with a world record of 95.07, 10 full points ahead of second place Kozuka. Beat everyone when he was hobbled, now he's massacring them when he's healthy. BYE TBH.

n1HEaBWec80

SLAYED DESU YO.

PhilePhile
Oct 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM
^^^ It's a free skate in a sense that he was not doing "figure eights" :lol: .

M2k
Oct 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I hate that there's practically no skating coverage on tv. For god's sake it's our home grand prix event!!!! :eek:

It's so bad that Ice Network is throwing us a bone by giving us a freebe: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121002&content_id=39362564&vkey=ice_news

(coverage starts at 3 ET/12:30 PT)

This is the last year I follow skating. This is ridiculous that we have to hunt for streams because Universal Sports is hungry for more money. Fuck You Universal Sports!!! And Fuck you USFSA for being so incompetent! I will not renew my usfs membership and I hope I'm not the only one!!

*up yours*

dybbuk
Oct 20th, 2012, 06:42 PM
^^^ It's a free skate in a sense that he was not doing "figure eights" :lol: .

I meant short program. I wrote that at a like 12 AM, ok. :o

M2k
Oct 20th, 2012, 07:00 PM
I just need to say that Jeremy Abbott's SP was the highlight of the night :hearts: I think he's breaking new interpretative ground here. I mean the hand gestures, the outfit, the whole program, and his interpretation of it is something so rare in today's skating. Hanyu might be the king of code-whoring, but his skating gets too frenetic and sloppy to be scoring so high. Did he get +'s for that last spin? I hope not. His jumping skill are exceptional though.

7a1FSoeW4W0

Well Ice Network coverage starts in 30 mins!

dybbuk
Oct 20th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Stay pressed, hunty.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbha58bthb1ruvofro1_500.jpg

M2k
Oct 20th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Who you talking to li' punk! :(
;)

The ladies event was actually rather good. Ashley is really getting the top marks now.

IMO Christina Gao should have been first.

dybbuk
Oct 21st, 2012, 12:12 AM
I thought Gao did well. But there's something so lifeless about her skating that prevents me from really ever liking her. :o Technically she can be lovely to watch, but I don't think she ever connects very well emotionally.

I loved Sotnikova's and Meite the best. I haven't been able to watch Wagner yet, so I can't say anything about her. I've decided to stan Sotnikova along with Yuzu-chan, so be forewarned.

delicatecutter
Oct 22nd, 2012, 09:54 PM
Oh dear, Alex. What happened to Yuzuru in the long program? :tears:

I haven't watched the ladies yet, but I adore Takahiko Kozuka's skating. So smooth! :inlove:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 23rd, 2012, 02:00 AM
:worship: Ashley.
The program was amazing, I really hope she makes the podium or better this season :hug:
All she needs is a clean triple lutz(sans flutz) :)

+ Adelina needs to change her music, I had to mute my tv after the first minute :tape:

dybbuk
Oct 23rd, 2012, 02:04 AM
Oh dear, Alex. What happened to Yuzuru in the long program? :tears:

I haven't watched the ladies yet, but I adore Takahiko Kozuka's skating. So smooth! :inlove:

I don't know. He's literally coming off an injury a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping he was just not ready still. :o Whatever, he still has the World Record for SP score and is on his way up.

delicatecutter
Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:13 AM
Strange to see no Japanese ladies contending for the title. I'm not overly enthusiastic about Wagner or Gao and Adelina is wasting her talent with this LP. :o Glad to see her land a 3z3t though. :hearts:

dybbuk
Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:32 AM
I like Wagner. She's not unique or elegant enough for me to stan, but imo she's an improvement over most of the white girls America has been producing the past 7 years or so. She's at very least a step up from Hughes the Lesser and Flatt in terms of watchability.

Gao however bothers me and I don't even know why. She just doesn't have the It Factor.

delicatecutter
Oct 23rd, 2012, 04:54 AM
Wagner is OK. I was rooting for her to win the bronze at Worlds last year. But I'm not going to stand up and clap for her or anything.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 26th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Kaetlyn Osmond in 2nd after the short program :eek: :D

Most of the ladies under-rotated their jumps which allowed Elene and Kaetlyn to rise up with clean programs.

IceSkaTennisFan
Oct 27th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Wagner is OK. I was rooting for her to win the bronze at Worlds last year. But I'm not going to stand up and clap for her or anything.
Yeah, her music choices leave something to be desired. She thought Black Swan was such an amazing program that could not be outdone, but it was just warmed over Swan Lake. She has potential to try other stuff and I guess I just appreciate it more when skaters try to be more original. I was admiring Buttle's Ararat LP when he won Worlds. It was absolutely amazing to see something fresh and up to date. She's a fun skater to watch for a minute, but then you realize she doesn't seem as confident with her jumps as she does with her other elements. Maybe it's just a phase...

fifty-fifty
Oct 27th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Current Overall Standing

Pl. Name Nation Points SP FS
1 Kaetlyn OSMOND:rolleyes:
CAN
176.45 2 2
2 Akiko SUZUKI
JPN
175.16 5 1
3 Kanako MURAKAMI
JPN
168.04 4 4
4 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA
RUS
168.00 6 3
5 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI
GEO
160.52 1 5
6 Ksenia MAKAROVA
RUS
154.11 3 9
7 Gracie GOLD
USA
151.57 9 6
8 Amelie LACOSTE
CAN
151.44 7 7
9 Caroline ZHANG
USA
149.87 8 8
10 Polina SHELEPEN
RUS
124.29 10 10

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 27th, 2012, 04:52 PM
:bounce: Yay for Kaetlyn and CDN Women's skating. After last season's horrendous ladies' showings, it's nice to have a woman that can contend :)

fifty-fifty
Oct 27th, 2012, 04:59 PM
:bounce: Yay for Kaetlyn and CDN Women's skating. After last season's horrendous ladies' showings, it's nice to have a woman that can contend :)

Do you honestly believe she deserved to win?

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 27th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Do you honestly believe she deserved to win?

Goodbye hater :wavey:

fifty-fifty
Oct 27th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Goodbye hater :wavey:

Look buddy, I don't even know this girl. But she clearly didn't deserve gold today. The only reason she's fist is because she's Canadian. This is not just my opinion, just visit other skating forums.

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 27th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Man I was hoping w.all my might that Zhang was going to have a turn around season, she got so much potential. Very disappointing that she can't get out of her own way and I'm afraid she's spiraling into irrelevance. She's currently in 9th place ::(

KoOlMaNsEaN
Oct 27th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Look buddy, I don't even know this girl. But she clearly didn't deserve gold today. The only reason she's fist is because she's Canadian. This is not just my opinion, just visit other skating forums.

I'm tired of Canadians being criticized for their good results, it's getting old :rolleyes:

fifty-fifty
Oct 27th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I'm tired of Canadians being criticized for their good results, it's getting old :rolleyes:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?38448-Should-the-ISU-carry-out-an-enquiry-into-the-result-of-Ladies-FS-at-Skate-Canada

dybbuk
Oct 27th, 2012, 09:27 PM

Gurl, I haven't watched this result to comment on it, but can you blame us when Patrick Over Score Chan regularly gets ridiculously high scores even for error strewn programs? I can't even count how many times he has fallen and had several mistakes in one program, but still out scores everyone else. At the very least there is a problem with Chan's scores, and literally everyone I've ever seen speak about this agrees, unless they are Canadian.

And it's not some witch hunt against Canadians anyways. I can only remember goodwill towards Buttle, for instance.

fifty-fifty
Oct 27th, 2012, 11:20 PM
men's has LP started

http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpcan2012/SEG002.HTM

Crazy Canuck
Oct 28th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Gurl, I haven't watched this result to comment on it, but can you blame us when Patrick Over Score Chan regularly gets ridiculously high scores even for error strewn programs? I can't even count how many times he has fallen and had several mistakes in one program, but still out scores everyone else. At the very least there is a problem with Chan's scores, and literally everyone I've ever seen speak about this agrees, unless they are Canadian.

And it's not some witch hunt against Canadians anyways. I can only remember goodwill towards Buttle, for instance.
There were people that complained about Buttle's scores, too.

Not that I think this is a "witch hunt against Canadians"; that's nonsense.

fifty-fifty
Oct 28th, 2012, 01:11 AM
SURPRISE

1 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP 168.07 85.15 83.92 8.18 8.14 8.43 8.57 8.64 1.00 #10
2 Patrick CHAN CAN 160.91 75.13 86.78 8.89 8.50 8.39 8.79 8.82 1.00 #9
3 Nobunari ODA JPN 156.20 78.48 77.72 7.93 7.36 7.89 7.79 7.89 0.00 #8
4 Ross MINER USA 144.19 73.91 70.28 7.36 6.68 7.07 7.07 6.96 0.00 #3
5 Florent AMODIO FRA 144.11 69.41 74.70 7.68 6.89 7.57 7.50 7.71 0.00 #6
6 Takahito MURA JPN 137.64 72.00 66.64 7.14 6.32 6.64 6.61 6.61 1.00 #2
7 Artur GACHINSKI RUS 129.84 63.40 67.44 7.25 6.29 6.68 6.86 6.64 1.00 #4
8 Denis TEN KAZ 128.44 58.74 72.70 7.39 7.25 6.89 7.39 7.43 3.00 #7
9 Elladj BALDE CAN 127.48 61.56 65.92 6.71 6.00 6.93 6.57 6.75 0.00 #5
10 Liam FIRUS

Smith Saybrook
Oct 28th, 2012, 04:50 AM
There were people that complained about Buttle's scores, too.

Not that I think this is a "witch hunt against Canadians"; that's nonsense.

Aww Jeffrey Buttle. Swoon.

delicatecutter
Oct 28th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Wow I love Tessa & Scott's Carmen! The last two lifts are amazing!! :inlove:

meruvien
Oct 28th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Wow I love Tessa & Scott's Carmen! The last two lifts are amazing!! :inlove:

Well I think this program is flat. Except for the great lifts at the end, this FD has an obvious lack of creativity and originality and emotions. For me White/Davis and Pechalat/Bourzat have both a far superior FD. But we all know they'll be overscored all season long like the last 2 years. Of course they're technically good but i think W/B and P/B are way better.
They have a nice short dance.

edificio
Oct 29th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I really only like Moir, because he has a nice physique (shallow). I hate Virtue/Moir as a team. I find them so dull. I can see they have skills and technique, but I've never felt anything watching their performances. Their Carmen carried little emotion, and I preferred the other team's version. At Skate Canada I found the judging of ice dancing so suspect that I just ended up shaking my head (not that Virtue/Moir shouldn't have won, obviously they were the best this week). Ice dancing judging sucks...still.

I only saw Fernandez skate in the long program. Nice to see him coming back. Still, he's no Jeffrey Buttle. Wish that kid could have pull it all together at the crucial competitions.

IceSkaTennisFan
Nov 3rd, 2012, 02:25 AM
Check out the extension on the I-spin at 2:45 :tape:

IRjy0QxLkVA#t=2m45s

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:38 PM
Check out the extension on the I-spin at 2:45 :tape:

IRjy0QxLkVA#t=2m45s

I'm such a sucker fgoods skater who has great spins and she's definitely mastered spinning. On the whole though it felt like she rushed through her moves and never let them have the proper finish, that obviously wasn't the case for her spins and foot work sequence. In those two areas I rather enjoyed her.

delicatecutter
Nov 3rd, 2012, 05:49 PM
I love Lipnitskia. She could break Tara Lipinski's record of being the youngest Olympic champion.

Mao Asada won Cup of China! :cheer: #TeamMao

penkku
Nov 3rd, 2012, 06:14 PM
GP-KILPAILUT, SHANGHAI, KIINA

Naiset, lopputulokset

1. Mao Asada JPN 181,76 :cheer:
2. Julia Lipnitskaja RUS 177,92 :D
3. Kiira Korpi FIN 169,86 :hearts:
4. Mirai Nagasu USA 163,46
5. Zijun Li CHN 160,06 ;)
6. Amelie Lacoste CAN 135,46
7. Joshi Helgesson SWE 134,43
8. Ying Zhang CHN 130,65
9. Sofia Birjukova RUS 127,36

edificio
Nov 3rd, 2012, 11:21 PM
Poor Nan Song.

So nice to see this more mature Mao Asada. love her.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 4th, 2012, 02:45 AM
I was surprised to hear that Mao was considering retirement this summer :eek: It would be such a great waste.

imo, Weaver/Poje need to change their free dance. Twice they've beaten Bobrova/Soloviev in the short dance, twice they've been beaten in the free dance. I just don't think the judges like it.

hellas719
Nov 9th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I know nothing about figure skating, but can anyone tell me if Georgia Glastris has a chance to make the Sochi Olympics? Thanks :)

delicatecutter
Nov 9th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Poor Nan Song.

So nice to see this more mature Mao Asada. love her.

Of course I'm incredibly biased, but I love her Swan Lake program. :inlove:

Too bad it seems like her 3A and 3-3s are gone for good. :sad:

Here is her winning performance, for those who didn't see it.

EVAAgy5Zk1o

penkku
Nov 10th, 2012, 08:35 PM
ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Rostelecom Cup Moscow

Ladies:

1. Kiira Korpi FIN 177,19 :D

2. Gracie Gold USA 175,03

3. Agnes Zawadzki USA 166,61

4. Kanako Murakami JPN 166,34 :)
5. Adelina Sotnikova RUS 157,98 :hug:
6. Alena Leonova RUS 157,27
7. Polina Korobeinikova RUS 153,32
8. Viktoria Helgesson SWE 152,48
9. Valentina Marchei ITA 148,67
10. Caroline Zhang USA 138,21

hurricanejeanne
Nov 11th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I drank when I read "Patrick Over Score Chan" in this thread. Oh it's that time of year again. :lol:

I hope my scrubs don't suck this year, especially Agnes.

delicatecutter
Nov 12th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Patrick Chan Overscore lives. :hearts: Who cares if he doubled his axel, loop, and salchow... He is THAT much better than everyone else. You don't believe me? Cause the commentators will tell you. Constantly. Clearly Javier beating him at Skate Canada was an anomaly; I'm still shocked that was ever allowed to actually happen. Russian men's is looking more dire by the day. :tears:

The ladies. Gutted messes. I'm not the biggest Korpi fan but she did enough.. hit the 3t3t, 3z, 3f. It was a good skate. Gold medal worthy in this field. Gracie Gold gave it away but she seemed please with silver, so good for her. :yeah: I really like her basic jump technique so now she just needs to work on her presentation. I'm still a bit verklepmt why she was still skating junior at 16 but hopefully her coaches know what they're doing. Agnes was a hot cautious mess but she landed most of it. Good for her. Murakami has the same technique issues. And my Russian girlies really dropped the ball in front of their home crowd. I had such high hopes for Adelina, but the puberty monster has taken its toll. I hope she can recover in time for Sochi with much better programs for the Olympic year. And I've always had a soft spot for Leonova, but she needs to prove that last season wasn't a fluke.

Pairs and dance were ignored agen so can't comment on them.

cowsonice
Nov 12th, 2012, 08:28 PM
Agnes was so slow. :o
Gracie skated with a junior mentality. :|
Caroline dead last :tears:

Weak top 3 performances imo.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Nov 13th, 2012, 12:39 AM
How did Bazarova/Larionov beat the Americans in the free skate?? I'm still scratching my head about that one.

+ I :hearts: Kiira's free program. The best choreographed FS of the year imo :D

delicatecutter
Nov 23rd, 2012, 04:49 PM
UNREAL short from Yuzuru at NHK. New world record score!

1wr3Yr3kQLc

Mao was also lovely with her Level 4 footwork!! #TeamMao

sLw84XanbWI

GoofyDuck
Nov 23rd, 2012, 04:57 PM
only 17 :eek:

love the program

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 23rd, 2012, 08:57 PM
NHK 2012

Ladies SP standings:
Asada - 67.95
Mirai Nagasu - 61.18
Li Zijun - 59.62
5. Suzuki - 58.60
7. Agnes Zawadzki - 55.02

Men's SP standings:
Yuzuri Hanyu - 95.32
Daisuke Takahashi - 87.47
Javier Fernandez - 86.23
Ross miner - 72.40
Reynolds
Dornbush - 70.05
8. Adam Rippon - 67.89

Ice Dancing SP standings:
Davis/White 69.86
Shibutani's 60.84
Ilinykh/Katsalapov

dybbuk
Nov 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Yuzu-chan swatting away these local ho's without even trying yet again. :hearts: Was so nice of him to give them one win in Skate America before he cleans up the rest of the season. His quads are so crazy high. The first one was easily one of the most secure quads I've ever seen; there was no way he wasn't landing it perfectly with the height he had.

Asada isn't boring me for once this season; her programs are good. When is Kim Yu-Na coming back so Mao can snatch her overrated wig again?

delicatecutter
Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:06 PM
Asada isn't boring me for once this season; her programs are good. When is Kim Yu-Na coming back so Mao can snatch her overrated wig again?

It looks like Yu-Na Overscore is competing at some flop meet at the beginning of December.

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:43 PM
Oh no u didn't!! Y'all trying to come for Yu Na Kim and I ain't having it! How dare y'all put her in the same category as the over hyped and overly scored Patric Chan. Yu Na deserves and works hard for her marks and unlike pathetic Patric who usually lands on his butt 2-3 times per routine, Yu Na rarely displays the inconsistency w.her jumps that Chan does. She is both artistry and athleticism! ...and as u can see I'm a stan and miss her dearly!

edificio
Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:44 PM
Hanyu's short program was just unbelievable. He was so relaxed. Thanks to being 17 I suppose. :) Really enjoy watching him skate, and he is definitely better than last year.

Also, enjoyed Daisuke's skate, even though he had a bit of a mistake. The top three men were very good. I do not understand what has happened to Adam Rippon. At the least, he could grow his curls back.

Mao's short was so much fun. She might have been slightly overscored, though. Still loved it.

hwanmig
Nov 24th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Yuzu-chan swatting away these local ho's without even trying yet again. :hearts: Was so nice of him to give them one win in Skate America before he cleans up the rest of the season. His quads are so crazy high. The first one was easily one of the most secure quads I've ever seen; there was no way he wasn't landing it perfectly with the height he had.

Her jumps are absolutely awful, only thing keeping her afloat is her PCS. I think Mao is done, I really thought she was gonna dominate after Yu Na went AWOL. Oh Well:o.

Bismarck.
Nov 24th, 2012, 11:55 AM
It looks like Yu-Na Overscore is competing at some flop meet at the beginning of December.

funny how a Mao fan is calling another skater overscored given what's happened this weekend.

tennisbear7
Nov 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Anyone who says that ice skating is a sport continues to kid themselves. Seriously.

Poor Akiko, she must be gutted.

GoofyDuck
Nov 24th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Don't worry :)

Kim Yuna will set aside her singing, acting and tv career and come back to snatch a gold medal at the 2014 olympics.

edificio
Nov 25th, 2012, 02:15 AM
The ending of the NHK Cup was just bizarre. How the judges gave Mao a higher score than Mirai, even though she doubled almost every single jump, I'll never understand. That's skating. All their efforts to make the judging less subjective have failed. :lol:

The look of shock on Mao's face when she saw her score was hilarious. At least, Suzuki was better mannered in defeat than some skaters have been in the past (Surya, I'm talking about you. :lol: She always did get short-changed in the scoring, though).

Well I'm happy for Mirai. She kept it together through both her programs. Now she just has to work on speed and improving her jumps so she doesn't get downgraded ALL THE DAMN TIME!

The men's final was weird, too. Hanyu melted on the ice and yet he was so far ahead after his brilliant short program, it didn't even matter. :lol: I don't know what happened to Javier, but I enjoyed Daisuke's skate.

Like I said, very weird end to the event.

I didn't see the pairs event at all. In the dance, I find that I really hate the music by the Russian team of Ilynkh and Katsalapov, with all the voice overs, and the excessive dramatics from the two skaters. Also, it seems as though they should be in the pairs competition. I still hate that one spin invented by Tamara Moskvina that I call the egg beater. Some of that should be left to pairs skating and not dance. Blecch.

delicatecutter
Nov 25th, 2012, 03:03 AM
funny how a Mao fan is calling another skater overscored given what's happened this weekend.

I haven't seen the entire competition yet. I just watched Mao's long program and yes she missed a lot of the jumps but her overall quality of skating is first-rate. Once I see Akiko and Mirai's programs and see the protocols I will be better able to overall assess the competition. Mirai is known for underrotating her jumps and Akiko was way down after the short program..

It doesn't change the fact that Kim was consistently overscored..

dybbuk
Nov 25th, 2012, 04:26 AM
As someone who thinks both Kim and Asada suck most of the time, I think Kim definitely sucks a little bit more.

delicatecutter
Nov 25th, 2012, 04:32 AM
As someone who thinks both Kim and Asada suck most of the time, I think Kim definitely sucks a little bit more.

Which ladies do you like, then? :sobbing:

delicatecutter
Nov 25th, 2012, 01:30 PM
You guys, US Nationals are in Omaha this season (where I live). I HAVE to find out a way to go to at least one session because when will I have an opportunity like this again? But I'm sure the tickets are ridiculously expensive and I'm beyond destitute. :bigcry:

PhilePhile
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:13 AM
You guys, US Nationals are in Omaha this season (where I live). I HAVE to find out a way to go to at least one session because when will I have an opportunity like this again? But I'm sure the tickets are ridiculously expensive and I'm beyond destitute. :bigcry:

Volunteer as an arena gatekeeper (not admission)? From the layout below, they might need about 50 gatekeepers per session. Email them for more details here http://www.2013uschampionships.com/volunteer/.

http://www.centurylinkcenteromaha.com/Libraries/CenturyLink_Images/SeatingLayout_ViewSeatSmall.sflb.ashx

delicatecutter
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:32 AM
Aww thanks for the help but I'm not trying to work. :rolls:

Hopefully my bf wins the lottery and can buy us some tickets.

dybbuk
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Which ladies do you like, then? :sobbing:

That's the thing. I don't really have a female skater I adore at the moment and haven't for years. Of the current crop I like Ando, a few of the Russians and hope they keep improving, and I liked Nagasu and Zheng before puberty hit them like bricks and they nosedived. The 2006 Olympics were the last female competition I was really into.

delicatecutter
Nov 26th, 2012, 04:46 AM
You like Miki Ando? :unsure: :scared:

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 26th, 2012, 06:09 AM

What's wrong w.Ando:confused: the last year she competed she won two Grand Prix assignments and won the gold at Worlds that year. She took off the entire 2011-2012 season and she supposedly delayed her return cuz she's looking for a new coach. I'm not really sure what the very latest is w.her, but if shes not hurt and she's motivated she's definitely a factor.

dybbuk
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:16 PM

Yes. You know this. I love Miki. She's so Michelle to me, but I appreciate Miki's full use of her talent. She may not be as gifted as some of her competition, but Miki outfought 98% of them and now has two World titles to her name. I respect that immensely. Plus there is no doubt she was improving artistically before her hiatus. I maintain her winning short program is one of the best in the last half-decade.

delicatecutter
Nov 26th, 2012, 07:20 PM
Sorry, you know I have the memory of a goldfish. :help: She has had some good short programs, but most of her long programs are jump-jump-jump. :o And she doesn't have the beautiful basic skating or good posture either.

I was happy when she denied Yu-Na Overscore a World title two seasons ago. :bounce:

cowsonice
Nov 26th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Caroline Zhang ftw!!! :rocker2:

:sobbing:

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 27th, 2012, 08:18 AM
With NHK being the last event before the Grand Prix final, the top 6 skaters are officially all qualified now. *

Ashley Wagner comes in first place raking up the most points over the two events she competed at with the overrated P.Chan coming in first place for the men. *The highest scored ice dancing couple was Davis/White they comfortably beat out Virtue/Moir.

Qualifying placements for the Grand Prix Final (2012)

Women:
1. Ashley Wagner
2. Mao Asada
3. Akiko Suzuki (her free skate at NHK was sublime!)
4. Elizaveta (finally a female Russian skater I actually like!)
5. Julia.L
6. Kira Korpi
Fist alternate: Marai Nagasu
Second alternate: Gracie Gold

Men:
1. Chan
2. Yuzuri
3. Javier Fernandez (he's so damn sexy!)
4. Takahashi
5. Kozuka
6. *Oda
Second Alternate: Ross Miner

Ice Dancing:
1. Davis/White (178.48)
2. Virtue/Moir (173.99)
3. Pechalat/Bourzat (169.73) ...they are permanently stuck at three no matter what for years! *Will they ever break up the dominance of the other two teams??

GoofyDuck
Nov 27th, 2012, 10:14 AM
What about pair skating?

delicatecutter
Nov 27th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Mao has such a presence and a command over the ice. Her footwork sequences and skating skills are top notch. :bowdown: And Swan Lake suits her beautifully. :inlove: If you look at the protocols for NHK you can see why she won. She had a pretty big lead over Akiko after the short and that was the difference. :shrug:

[/fanboyrant]

Sir Stefwhit
Nov 27th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Mao has such a presence and a command over the ice. Her footwork sequences and skating skills are top notch. :bowdown: And Swan Lake suits her beautifully. :inlove: If you look at the protocols for NHK you can see why she won. She had a pretty big lead over Akiko after the short and that was the difference. :shrug:

[/fanboyrant]

Akiko's program was beauty personified...it was effortless and everything I want my figure skating to be but she was behind opts after the SP so to move up from 5th to almost winning is a testament to how well she skated. Mao was probably the most surprised she won and her home crowd didn't even support the win. I think skating has been a lot better since the 6.0 system has been gone but her street cred did play a role IMO. I'm okay with the results but in my eyes the best performance of the competition belonged to Akiko.

What about pair skating?

Sorry I hate pairs skating, well I don't hate it but it's my least favorite but I do root for Savchenko/Szolkowy and Kavaguti/Smirnov I have no idea who the rest of them are.

Tatiana/Maxim
Savchenko/Szolkowy (kinda surprised they finished second)
Vera Bazarova / Yuri Larionov
Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford
Pang Qing / Tong Jian
Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov

delicatecutter
Nov 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Akiko did have the best free skate. I'm a bit surprised that Mao has been getting good marks again because for the past few seasons she has not been getting the benefit of the doubt.

GoofyDuck
Nov 27th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Ice Dancing:
1. Davis/White (178.48)
2. Virtue/Moir (173.99)
3. Pechalat/Bourzat (169.73) ...they are permanently stuck at three no matter what for years! *Will they ever break up the dominance of the other two teams??

It took me a little while to realise the Americans were in the lead and not the Canadians! keep this up Davis/White :cheer:

Sorry I hate pairs skating, well I don't hate it but it's my least favorite but I do root for Savchenko/Szolkowy and Kavaguti/Smirnov I have no idea who the rest of them are.

Tatiana/Maxim
Savchenko/Szolkowy (kinda surprised they finished second)
Vera Bazarova / Yuri Larionov
Meagan Duhamel / Eric Radford
Pang Qing / Tong Jian
Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov

Thanks! I like pairs skating, especially Volozoshar/Trankov. It's alot more exciting to watch than Icedancing, where only the top teams can interest me.

Yashal
Nov 27th, 2012, 10:35 PM
Where did you find those stats about pair skating? They are wrong. Unfortunately Aliona&Robin won't be part of the GPF as they had to withdraw from TEB because of Aliona's sinus infection :sad: So they ended up with only 15 points and couldn't qualify for Sochi.

Moore-Towers/Moscovitch qualified as sixth.

GoofyDuck
Dec 11th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Kim Yu-Na first tournament after 19 months hiatus scoring over 200 points :worship:

SP
EjyPBsFl-BA

LP
Ye0u0lM9IP4

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c0.0.403.403/p403x403/530418_433391656716124_1493288559_n.jpg

delicatecutter
Dec 11th, 2012, 05:36 PM
I can't bear to watch that overscored mess.

http://popledge.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/RACHEL-CROW-GIF-1323447731.gif

delicatecutter
Dec 11th, 2012, 05:39 PM
In better news, Mao Asada won her third Grand Prix Final with a fantastic skate!!

Qo6U9FUGk5I

dybbuk
Dec 11th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Daisuke and Yuzu-chan also SLAYED Chan. :wavey:

IceSkaTennisFan
Dec 12th, 2012, 02:02 AM
I wanted to invite anyone interested to FSVids (http://fsvids.net/) where I'm the moderator of the montage forum. We are planning to have a montage contest soon. If you're interested, please check it out. Let me know if you want more information.

Also, here's a christmas video by the forum's most winningest video editor.

All I Want For Christmas by Karpenko
re8VjMNc82E

KoOlMaNsEaN
Dec 12th, 2012, 03:38 AM
it says you need an invitation code

IceSkaTennisFan
Dec 12th, 2012, 01:05 PM
it says you need an invitation code
I've PMed it to you. Sorry about that. For anyone else interested in joining FSVids.net, please PM me for the invitation code. The website decided to make it open by invitation only because of a spammer problem.

IceSkaTennisFan
Dec 13th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Not that people didn't know, but Jeff Buttle just quietly came out of the closet :bounce: http://outsports.com/jocktalkblog/2012/12/11/olympic-skating-medalist-jeff-buttle-now-suits-up-for-toronto-gay-hockey-club/

One of the best skates ever by anyone in skating :worship:

5vJFdEfGk3w

delicatecutter
Dec 13th, 2012, 03:10 AM
He's been out for a few years.. :confused:

IceSkaTennisFan
Dec 13th, 2012, 03:41 AM
He's been out for a few years.. :confused:

Do you have an article? I know he's been out, but I never saw anything publicly.

Sir Stefwhit
Dec 13th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Real happy Davis/White beat out Virtue/Moir... Now they just have to beat em' at Worlds then the Olympics!!

Yashal
Dec 13th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Real happy Davis/White beat out Virtue/Moir... Now they just have to beat em' at Worlds then the Olympics!!

This. Hopefully things won't end up like last season, I was devasteted :sobbing:
Speaking of devasteted people, I was so so sad for Dmitri Soloviev :awww: After that FD I wanted to run to Sochi and hug him :hug:

Oh and I really can't with the overscoring of V/T in spite of their mediocre performances! That score even more ridicuolous than the 0.04 difference between Chan and Fernandez :fiery:

GoofyDuck
Dec 13th, 2012, 10:19 AM
V/T always go for highest difficulty.. the rest of the field have too easy programs. they fell like 3 times in Paris and still easily won :lol:

Yashal
Dec 13th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I know, but if they don't skate cleany they shouldn't get 8.64 or even higher in Performance/Execution.

delicatecutter
Dec 13th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I love Patrick Chan's long program this season. :inlove: It's so glorious and filled with artistry. And I live for his triple flip+half loop+triple salchow combination.

fifty-fifty
Jan 6th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Yu Na's back with amazing performance and Korean Nationals

2gn98iKAK2U

Sir Stefwhit
Jan 7th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Wowzers!! Anyone who dare says Yu Na is Like P.Chan and over scored know nothing about skating. While P.chan is flip-flopping and landed on his (cute) ass, Yu Na executes with sublime perfection every time she skates. She's the only skater to make me feel her the way that Kwan used to.

In that video my only criticism would be her speed, she was way too slow, but other than that- SPOT ON! So nice to have the Queen back to take her rightful place; let us adorn her in Gold (medals)!

penkku
Jan 9th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Kiira Korpi out of European Champs, she has an inflamed achilles tendon :hug:
Should be okay for the worlds ;)

delicatecutter
Jan 9th, 2013, 07:17 PM
What happened to Lepisto? :unsure:

Nvm, just read on Wiki that she retired. :sad:

IceSkaTennisFan
Jan 10th, 2013, 05:20 AM
What happened to Lepisto? :unsure:

Nvm, just read on Wiki that she retired. :sad:
Lepisto had a good 3-3, but Poykio "Euro Kwan" was nice to watch.

Yashal
Jan 10th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Poor Kiira :sad: Last year she had to skip Words, now Euros. Hope she'll be injuries-free for the whole next season :hug:

BTW, now hopefully LizaT and EleneG will join Carolina on the podium :cheer:

Daruma.
Jan 10th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Carolina Kostner's free program at Italian Nationals: Bolero. Check out the step sequence, and the choreographic sequence, they are certainly the best in this season. That final triple salchow is :eek: She lands it just before the music ends! Magnificent.

She also has the triple lutz back ;)

gc5CQgFC0YE

delicatecutter
Jan 10th, 2013, 10:07 PM
As long as Yu Na Overscore doesn't win Worlds, I'm happy. :D

penkku
Jan 25th, 2013, 06:01 PM
EuroChamps, ladies SP

EM-KISAT, ZAGREB

1. Adelina Sotnikova RUS 67,61 :hearts:
2. Carolina Kostner ITA 64,19
3. Valentina Marchei ITA 58,22
4. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva RUS 57,18
5. Joshi Helgesson SWE 55,04
6. Viktoria Helgesson SWE 54,77
7. Lenaelle Gilleron-Gony FRA 53,32
8. Nathalie Weinzierl GER 52,28
9. Elena Glebova EST 51,90
10. Juulia Turkkila FIN 51,47 :)

edificio
Jan 25th, 2013, 07:41 PM
They just screwed Luca Lanotte and Anna Capellini on the scoring. :fiery:

GoofyDuck
Jan 25th, 2013, 07:43 PM
As long as Yu Na Overscore doesn't win Worlds, I'm happy. :D

prepare for the inevitable :lol:

edificio
Jan 25th, 2013, 07:51 PM
I wonder why Savchenko and Szolkowy did not compete. I saw a Russian transmission, so I didn't really have English commentary. :D

edificio
Jan 25th, 2013, 07:51 PM
EuroChamps, ladies SP

EM-KISAT, ZAGREB

1. Adelina Sotnikova RUS 67,61 :hearts:
2. Carolina Kostner ITA 64,19
3. Valentina Marchei ITA 58,22
4. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva RUS 57,18
5. Joshi Helgesson SWE 55,04
6. Viktoria Helgesson SWE 54,77
7. Lenaelle Gilleron-Gony FRA 53,32
8. Nathalie Weinzierl GER 52,28
9. Elena Glebova EST 51,90
10. Juulia Turkkila FIN 51,47 :)

Kostner is perfectly positioned to take the win...again.

GoofyDuck
Jan 25th, 2013, 07:54 PM
I wonder why Savchenko and Szolkowy did not compete. I saw a Russian transmission, so I didn't really have English commentary. :D

Wasn't one of them injured?

the field at the these champs are not very impressive..
Uusually i don't want Kostner to win but she has no competition :lol:

delicatecutter
Jan 25th, 2013, 07:55 PM

At Europeans? They did complete. They finished second.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2013/CAT003RS.HTM

edificio
Jan 25th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Oh, damn, I missed the pairs. I kept forgetting to watch. Thanks!

GoofyDuck
Jan 25th, 2013, 07:57 PM

Oh yes, Volozoshar/Trankov.. so gutted when they lost the worlds last year to Savchenko team :o
I hope they can win the olympics next year in homecountry.

edificio
Jan 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM

Did you see the competition? Were James and Cipres 4th place worthy? Love to see them get better and do well.

delicatecutter
Jan 25th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I haven't seen any of it and I barely watch pairs as it is. :lol: I did just watch the top two Canadian pairs from Nationals though. That was good stuff.

edificio
Jan 25th, 2013, 08:03 PM
Pairs can be so dull. True. I loved Shen/Zhao. Miss them.

fifty-fifty
Jan 26th, 2013, 03:52 PM
http://www.isuresults.com/results/ec2013/CAT001RS.HTM

Men's EURO Final Result

1 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP 274.87
2 Florent AMODIO FRA 250.53
3 Michal BREZINA CZE 243.52
4 Brian JOUBERT FRA 232.47
5 Maxim KOVTUN RUS 226.57

Rerun
Jan 26th, 2013, 06:49 PM
Brian is gone as competitive athlete :sad:

JackWalker
Jan 26th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Brian is gone as competitive athlete :sad:

so sad.

live stream of the women's free skate anyone?

ps-kostner landed a triple flip/triple toe and triple lutz/triple toe in practice

~{X}~
Jan 26th, 2013, 07:23 PM
All my last generation guys are leaving. :lol:

I don't know any of these new people.

fifty-fifty
Jan 26th, 2013, 07:28 PM
so sad.

live stream of the women's free skate anyone?

ps-kostner landed a triple flip/triple toe and triple lutz/triple toe in practice

http://www.ltv7.lv/files/player-licensed.swf?file=ltv7_2_lv&streamer=rtmp://stream.ls.lv/ltv7_2_lv&type=rtmp&autostart=true

fifty-fifty
Jan 26th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Ladies EURO final result

1 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 194.71
2 Adelina SOTNIKOVA RUS 193.99
3 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS 188.85
4 Valentina MARCHEI ITA 171.06
5 Viktoria HELGESSON SWE 155.72

M2k
Jan 27th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Watching US Nationals on NBC right now.

Wow, that Philip Warren is a looker... I hope he becomes a top US skater in the future.

Go Jonathan Cassar! :bounce:

Crater718
Jan 27th, 2013, 08:20 PM
The women's national championship yesterday was a hot mess, especially from the last 3 skaters who performed.

fifty-fifty
Jan 27th, 2013, 09:08 PM
The women's national championship yesterday was a hot mess, especially from the last 3 skaters who performed.

ZTPaiGuMTM8
I feel so bad for Mirai. I hope she comes back stronger.

edificio
Jan 28th, 2013, 06:26 AM
I guess several of the U.S. women were sick or had recently been sick. Yeah, it was a mess. I felt so bad for Mirai and also Jeremy Abbott today. Such a beautiful skater, he is, but he can't do two clean programs for the life of him. So sad. Dornbush is kind of a boring skater. That kid Max (I forget his last name) who skated to West Side Storey did a great job. Congrats to him, but I can't see him making the top ten at Worlds.

Crater718
Jan 28th, 2013, 08:21 PM
I guess several of the U.S. women were sick or had recently been sick. Yeah, it was a mess. I felt so bad for Mirai and also Jeremy Abbott today. Such a beautiful skater, he is, but he can't do two clean programs for the life of him. So sad. Dornbush is kind of a boring skater. That kid Max (I forget his last name) who skated to West Side Storey did a great job. Congrats to him, but I can't see him making the top ten at Worlds.

It seems the media is desperate for a new/another Michelle Kwan. Yes, we're a spoiled lot :lol:

delicatecutter
Jan 28th, 2013, 09:30 PM
I was outraged with Ashley being held up. Those PCS were ridiculous considering she fell twice and skated tight. :o

Sam L
Feb 8th, 2013, 11:03 AM
Wow I didn't know Michelle got married:

http://news.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/kwan0119.jpg

http://news.providencejournal.com/breaking-news/2013/01/olympian-michelle-kwan-marries-clay-pell.html

Congrats! We miss you Michelle. :crying2: Enjoy marriage.

delicatecutter
Feb 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Hottie Ricky Dornbush is in 3rd after the short at 4CCs ahead of the US World team, Ross Miner and Max Aaron. I hope he skates a good long! :hearts:

cowsonice
Feb 9th, 2013, 06:21 AM
Mirai looks awful. She's 19 and looks like a 28 year old with that 'do.

fifty-fifty
Feb 9th, 2013, 02:33 PM
FCC LADIES SP

http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2013/SEG003.HTM
1 MAO
2 AKIKO
2 KANAKO

delicatecutter
Feb 9th, 2013, 03:20 PM
MAO'S FIRST CLEAN TRIPLE AXEL SINCE 2010 WORLDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :cheer: :cheer: :woohoo:

So proud of my girl!!!!!!!! What a program!!!!!!! :hearts:

penkku
Feb 9th, 2013, 03:28 PM
MAO'S FIRST CLEAN TRIPLE AXEL SINCE 2010 WORLDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: :cheer: :cheer: :woohoo:

So proud of my girl!!!!!!!! What a program!!!!!!! :hearts:

Great :D

Yashal
Feb 9th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Mao was amazing indeed :worship: The 3A was great and I really loved her step sequence :hearts:
Akiko, Kanako and Christina skated lights out as well!

Men free program otoh :facepalm:
Daisuke has to escape from Morozov asap!

delicatecutter
Feb 9th, 2013, 04:08 PM
If Mao keeps skating like this she can win her third World title!!! :hearts: I love her so much!

Yashal
Feb 9th, 2013, 04:29 PM
She can indeed! Can't wait for worlds! Looks like ladies won't be anymore ladiezzzz!

KoOlMaNsEaN
Feb 9th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Holy shitballs, Reynolds wins the 4CC :eek::D Good for him to land his 3 quads and 3axel cleanly :yeah:
+ can't wait to see Mao's 3axel :D

delicatecutter
Feb 9th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Here is Mao's GORGEOUS short program! Notice how improved her facial expressions are!! I DIE!!!!!!!

g5MMw-a-Jc0

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 9th, 2013, 10:50 PM
^boo...the video isn't playing :(

Did they have the finals for Ice Dancing yet? The Davis/White vs. Virtue/Moir rivalry is the single best rivalry in all of figure skating right now. There's nothing really separating them- just personal taste. I'm hoping Davis/White make a comeback and continue their winning streak over VM.

delicatecutter
Feb 9th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Try it now! This one is working for the moment.

It looks like the Free Dance hasn't been skated yet. I really hope Tessa & Scott can maintain their lead. I love their Carmen!! :hearts:

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 9th, 2013, 11:06 PM
:cheer::yeah:

U rock babe! ...thanks!

delicatecutter
Feb 10th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Mao won with an inspired free-skate!! She turned out of the axel and it was deemed underrotated (as were 2 of her other triples). But she also went for her 3flip-3loop which she hasn't attempted in FOREVER!! Her long program has 8 triples on paper, which is just amazing!! I really admire her fighting through all this adversity. She is such an inspiration!

Disappointing to see that Tessa and Scott lost their lead after the short dance. :( It looks like Marlie are the favorites to reclaim their World title.

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 10th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Woohoo!!! Go Marlie!!! I think the pattern we're starting to see is Moirtue takes the lead in the short then Marlie edges them out in the long. If that pattern persists it will slightly favor Marlie.

I said it before but it's worth repeating, they have the single best rivalry in the entire sport right now...wish I can see it on tv. Sucks balls they got rid of Universal Sports in my area.

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 11th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Davis and White win third Four Continents title!

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/images/2013/02/11/20130211_21.jpg
TOKYO: The US duo of Meryl Davis and Charlie White came from behind to beat Olympic and world ice dance champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir of Canada at the Four Continents championships on Sunday. Davis and White, second in Friday's short dance behind the Canadians with a gap of 0.44 points, topped the free dance on 112.68 points and won the title with a two-day total of 187.36. Virtue and Moir marked the second best free-dance score of 109.20 to finish second overall on 184.32. Another US couple of Madison Chock and Evan Bates came in third on 160.42. Davis and White, the runners-up to the Canadian couple at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics as well as the world championships and the Four Continents last year, also knocked them into second spot at the Grand Prix Final in December.

Yp9ivB0NAqU

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 11th, 2013, 11:38 PM
So next stop is Worlds does anyone know how many men and women the USA gets? It seems like they always used to get three but lately I can't remember the last time they both sent three...by the way when is it?

delicatecutter
Feb 11th, 2013, 11:53 PM
We get to send 2 men (Max Aaron, Ross Miner) and 2 ladies (Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold). Worlds are March 13 - 17.

Sir Stefwhit
Feb 12th, 2013, 12:30 AM
We get to send 2 men (Max Aaron, Ross Miner) and 2 ladies (Ashley Wagner, Gracie Gold). Worlds are March 13 - 17.

This is such strange time for me and the sport. I missed Nationals, don't know who Max Aaron is and I missed 4 Continents. I'm not a casual fan I'm pretty hardcore and been watching since the battle of The Carmens (Katarina Witt and Debbie Thomas). Yamaguci and Kwan are ranked in my heart just as high as Steffi and Serena are. I just feel so out of the loop these days and its strange that the only discipline I really seem to be on top of and following is Ice Dancing.

Ice Dancing used to be my least favorite discipline, I just didn't get it initially but now it's all I care about. I'm definitely making plans to see Worlds I feel like I missed the entire season. Maybe the return of Yu Na Kim will get me recharged...

penkku
Feb 20th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Kiira Korpi out of European Champs, she has an inflamed achilles tendon :hug:
Should be okay for the worlds ;)

But it ain't :sad: no worlds for Kiira :hug:

delicatecutter
Feb 20th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Too bad for Kiira. But that's one less competitor in the way of us getting three spots for the Olympics.

delicatecutter
Mar 13th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Worlds are underway!! The pairs short program just finished a couple hours ago and the men are getting ready to start!! :cheer:

GoofyDuck
Mar 13th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Volozoshar/Trankov leading :yeah: :cheer:

edificio
Mar 14th, 2013, 07:46 PM
The scoring of Carolina Kostner's skating remains ridiculous. :rolleyes: She should have been in fifth or sixth.

Murakami was excellent as well (better than Kostner!). Mao had a double foot on triple axle and then she singled a triple jump (I've forgotten which kind), but her footwork section is so adorable. :)

Felt so bad for the Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA with her fall. Things were going so well and then... The youngest Russian (Sotnikova) was good too, but Leonova wasn't as good as you expect.

Only saw the last two 1/2 groups, plus Katelyn Osmond. Need to see KimYun A's program on YouTube, because she had the best skate according to the commentators.

I saw Chan's 98 pointer too. He definitely deserved the highest score, but not sure about 98 points. :haha: Good luck, men, trying to overcome that score. Dennis Ten was excellent, but I haven't seen him do two good programs in a competition I ages. I hope he can.

edificio
Mar 14th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Mai Berenice Meite from France was also very good, but she lacks a teeny bit in finesse, and the crowd liked her but didn't love her. I didn't quite understand their minimal response. Maybe they are sick of Buble's music.

edificio
Mar 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM
You have to say that Yuna was almost perfect. I think they underscored her. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaokfxvpAE0)

Sir Stefwhit
Mar 14th, 2013, 11:34 PM
At this point I would be willing to change cable providers to have Universal Sports back... I'm dying w.out it!

delicatecutter
Mar 15th, 2013, 01:45 AM
Yu-Na's reaction when her score came up. :spit:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Mar 15th, 2013, 03:51 AM
I wish Kiira was still in it this year :sad: Could've gotten a medal if she was healthy and skating like she was in the fall.
Anyway good on Osmond to get 4th so far with that exciting number, will be tough to keep such a position though with Mao and Akiko behind her.

I kind of have mixed feeling with Yuna Kim, yes it's like she's never left but I don't like skaters that just show up at the worlds... It shows me that they don't really respect the GP circuit and come and go as they please.

PhilePhile
Mar 15th, 2013, 09:35 AM
You have to say that Yuna was almost perfect. I think they underscored her. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaokfxvpAE0)

Yu-Na's reaction when her score came up. :spit:

Yu-Na is wearing Fila (I have never seen Fila involved in figure skating).

bMurkqtaKVo

A Canadian woman that can jump :lol:.

tzP8BqVrpro

GoofyDuck
Mar 15th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Maxim and Tatiana world champs :cheer:

delicatecutter
Mar 15th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Mens FS underway now

http://lapti.tv/rossiya-2-online.html

delicatecutter
Mar 16th, 2013, 02:00 AM
Oh dear. Patrick Chan got held up like never before. :bigcry: Is it ever going to end????

Congrats to Denis Ten, the real world champion!

edificio
Mar 16th, 2013, 02:04 AM
I knew you would be first in line and so happy about the result. ;) :lol:

Yeah, they really wanted him to win. Definitely should have been Denis's title. But, nevermind, he was thrilled to get second, AND two clean programs in one competition! :woohoo:

I also thought Hanyu and Fernandez were somewhat underscored. Hanyu needs to get physically stronger, though. Perhaps by Sochi.

It was a pretty good competition nonetheless. Simon Reed was such a baby, though. He loves Reynolds and Hanyu like a proud papa. :help:

edificio
Mar 16th, 2013, 02:05 AM
Jeffrey Buttle was so good interviewing the pairs champs. :) I wish he was still skating.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Mar 16th, 2013, 04:37 AM
Maxim and Tatiana world champs :cheer:

Going back to the pairs, Duhamel/Radford were robbed. The Germans had multiple errors in their program and were held up against the Canadians who only had one minor flaw. Bulls#it.

Patrick winning again = no real surprise

DemWilliamsGulls
Mar 16th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Man I sure do miss figure skating....I think the last time I followed it faithfully was back in the late 90's when Kwan was skating. I remember ABC use to always cover it on TV, now I rarely see it on. Is it Worlds championship time now? Usually the Nationals are in december I believe. I can still tell the different jumps by the take off...but MAN I've been out of the skating loop for many many years..i lost interest in it some way. It seems when Kwan left...a lot of her fans left as I did....I think it will be the same way with me and the Williams SIsters when it comes to tennis lol

JackWalker
Mar 16th, 2013, 11:32 PM
live stream of the women's free anyone with non-russian commentary? :)

edificio
Mar 17th, 2013, 02:02 AM
live stream of the women's free anyone with non-russian commentary? :)

A bit late, but here is one. (http://88.80.5.80/w00t/20130129/vv5107c6c24acb3898761799-493142.html)

The last group is ready to go on.

edificio
Mar 17th, 2013, 02:30 AM
I had Carolina on the podium, but at the last moment, she fell. The judges love her, though. So who knows.

edificio
Mar 17th, 2013, 02:41 AM
Gosh, Mao and Li were just too far behind.

edificio
Mar 17th, 2013, 02:55 AM
:bigclap:

No contest. Queen Yuna in the house! :)

Some nice skating this worlds. Too bad so few people in the U.S. got to see it as it is happening rather than a week down the road. :rolleyes:

Vaidisova
Mar 17th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Yuna :D

njnetswill
Mar 17th, 2013, 03:00 AM
I'm not a Patrick Chan hater like most here but his win proves that the current system is just as likely to be abused by judges as the old 6.0 system.

What is the point of a 1 point deduction for a fall when it is so easy to erase it by inflating program component scores? A fall should be a 4 or 5 point deduction, I'm sorry. We need to stop giving fall-ridden performances gold medals. In what other sport do people fall/screw-up and still come in first?

JackWalker
Mar 17th, 2013, 03:01 AM
how did asada get 136? she failed her triple axel and triple flip/triple loop combo. ridiculously overscored.

sad carolina made the two mistakes. damm nosebleed.

Sir Stefwhit
Mar 17th, 2013, 03:04 AM
Man I sure do miss figure skating....I think the last time I followed it faithfully was back in the late 90's when Kwan was skating. I remember ABC use to always cover it on TV, now I rarely see it on. Is it Worlds championship time now? Usually the Nationals are in december I believe. I can still tell the different jumps by the take off...but MAN I've been out of the skating loop for many many years..i lost interest in it some way. It seems when Kwan left...a lot of her fans left as I did....I think it will be the same way with me and the Williams SIsters when it comes to tennis lol

As much as i love Kwan and Serena my love for the sport will help me endure their absences. I couldn't imagine not following either sport although I can relate that when your favorite retires its hard to find that same joy u did when they played.

I was lucky in tennis I went from Chris Evert to Steffi Graf then to Serena. And each time I never saw myself caring as much as I end up. I thought tennis died in 99 when Graf retired. I liked Rena but in my mind at that time I could never have guessed that I would eventually come to like her every bit as much as I did Steffi.

As for skating I came in during the battle of the 'Carmens' and was a huge Debbie Thomas fan then I was all about Yamaguci, Kwan, and now Yu Na. I do miss Kwans era that was my favorite time being a fan of ladies skating. But this is by far my favorite time in figure skating for Ice Dancing. I care more about that discipline now than ever before and suggest you start checking it out. The battle between Virture/Muir and Davis/White is the best thing happening in the sport right now.

Patric Chan is the sole reason I can't bother with the men, just can't take them serious.., same complain to a lesser degree with Karolina

edificio
Mar 17th, 2013, 03:05 AM
Well, at least, Yuna had two beautiful, win-deserving programs,

:secret: Carolina, in my view, is consistently overscored. However, I thought her long program was very nice, and she skated extremely well until the fall. Awful lot of posing, though. I hate standstill posing in skating.

Korea, Japan, and the U.S. get three skaters for the Olympics. :woohoo:

I wish they had shown the ice dancing. I guess Eurosport will tomorrow.

Bismarck.
Mar 17th, 2013, 03:07 AM
The final group tonight was awesome. I also thought Yuna was better tonight than at the Olympics.

PhilePhile
Mar 17th, 2013, 11:17 AM
I'm not a Patrick Chan hater like most here but his win proves that the current system is just as likely to be abused by judges as the old 6.0 system.

What is the point of a 1 point deduction for a fall when it is so easy to erase it by inflating program component scores? A fall should be a 4 or 5 point deduction, I'm sorry. We need to stop giving fall-ridden performances gold medals. In what other sport do people fall/screw-up and still come in first?

Jumps differentiate and draw crowds. Remember, the sport is called figure/artistic skating ... not stunt skating.

Patrick excels at figure skating and is pretty good with the rest.

Compulsory Figures ('figure eights')

31-yn9XYq0k

Note the discriptions/explanations in this demonstration video of 'figure eights':

6EE1bZ3jewc

DemWilliamsGulls
Mar 17th, 2013, 02:07 PM
Sir Stefwit, the problem I have is that I can hardly EVER catch it on a major network anymore. It isn't advertised as much as it use to (probably because there isn't may Americans doing as well in it anymore) but I do miss watching figure skating. The only time I really catch up on it is during the Olympics, but outside of that...I rarely see it on TV. ABC use to always cover the Nationals and the World Championships....I think they dropped coverage on it.

edificio
Mar 17th, 2013, 05:15 PM
Sir Stefwit, the problem I have is that I can hardly EVER catch it on a major network anymore. It isn't advertised as much as it use to (probably because there isn't may Americans doing as well in it anymore) but I do miss watching figure skating. The only time I really catch up on it is during the Olympics, but outside of that...I rarely see it on TV. ABC use to always cover the Nationals and the World Championships....I think they dropped coverage on it.

Yes, ratings rule, and the U.S. networks have failed to support a sport that gets lower ratings even if showing the events live would increase interest. NBC is planning to show a summary show on the 23rd, I believe. If you had Universal Sports you could have watched, but my cable provider doesn't have it. If you had some other providers, you might have seen it. Apparently, next year there will be better coverage, but I will believe it when I see it.

I usually just try to find a stream for the big events. Sometimes I can't find one that works, but usually I can.

delicatecutter
Mar 17th, 2013, 08:12 PM
So proud of my beloved Mao! :hearts: Finally back on the podium after three years. She fought so hard after missing the first two passes. Her Swan Lake is to die for!

I love Kostner's Bolero as well and the nosebleed added even more drama! The crash on the salchow was scary as hell though!

So proud of Ashley and especially Gracie for getting us back 3 spots for Sochi. It had been way too long.

Kanako had the skate of her life and ensured Japan 3 spots as well. Sadly their Down's sister Akiko had an off night. And Aliona Leonova went from reigning silver medalist to virtually no chance to go to Sochi. My Russian babies redeemed themselves but not enough to keep 3 spots. My beloved Adelina fought like a tigress but she is badly in need of a better program for next season.

And finally congrats to Yu-Na! Both of her programs were great and it was so refreshing to finally see her being scored appropriately! No more overscore praise Jesus!