PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest MGM star?

fantic
Sep 29th, 2012, 03:04 AM
Columbia has Jean Arthur & Hayworth,
Warner of course has Bette Davis.
Fox? Temple, Tierney, Monroe..
RKO has Ginger Rogers
Universal? Margaret Sullavan.
Stanwyck was independent.

How about MGM? Hard to pick who :hehehe:

Imperfect Angel
Sep 29th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Only heard of Judy Garland, so I guess she's the greatest.:oh:

Sam L
Sep 29th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Greta Garbo or maybe Joan Crawford.

fantic
Sep 29th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Funny, top MGM female stars are practically all from the 1930s :lol:

fantic
Sep 29th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Only heard of Judy Garland, so I guess she's the greatest.:oh:

Don't know Joan?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m623yqt7c21r0a4hso1_1280.jpg

Joan with her fan letters :oh:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRoJHIEqyJhuuqi9T93svUDi0K5iCCjQ q-TELccJBBca3ht3JkbWocmEHLU

Joan was a true star; she thought it was her DUTY to reply to all those letters.

fantic
Sep 29th, 2012, 03:52 AM
Greta Garbo or maybe Joan Crawford.

intelligent answer :clap2: but you picked Greta :lol:

But she didn't make too many movies, and the real money maker(although movie qualities were doubtful) of the studio was Joan. And of course when she was phased out of the studio due to age, she revived her carrier in 'Mildred Pierce'. A true survivor.(Greta was of course as you all know a famous recluse)

Bayo
Sep 29th, 2012, 03:55 AM
So tough. I went with Judy Garland for the legend, but Garbo was a goddess.

fantic
Sep 29th, 2012, 04:04 AM
in the 30s the TWO TOP of the studio was probably Shearer and Crawford.

Of course both had intense rivalry, as evidenced in numerous behind the scene episodes

of that blockbuster in 1939, 'The Women' :oh:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2zOhdHhVb1M/UGDF4zXS7zI/AAAAAAAAB1U/VyUYC2-xVBA/s1600/the_women_the_cast.jpg

Tennis Fool
Sep 29th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Fantic, how do you know so much about the old studios?

fantic
Sep 29th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Fantic, how do you know so much about the old studios?

because I'm interested :devil: I love history, by the way :lol: Anyway my knowledge is elementary :lol: If you luv and watch old films, then you naturally gravitate to reading bios of stars and Hollywood history books.

Those certainly were the days!

fantic
Sep 29th, 2012, 04:29 AM
should've added the 'Sweater Girl' Lana Turner?

Sammo
Sep 29th, 2012, 11:54 AM
Greta Garbo I guess. Jean Harlow is my favourite though.

Vf3w9V6Y2lk

Wikipedia describes her very well, with her ''laughing vamp'' face :hearts: Did you know that she was the original platinum blonde and that that term was made because of her?

I've started discovering old movies :hearts:

fantic
Sep 29th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Greta Garbo I guess. Jean Harlow is my favourite though.

Vf3w9V6Y2lk

Wikipedia describes her very well, with her ''laughing vamp'' face :hearts: Did you know that she was the original platinum blonde and that that term was made because of her?

I've started discovering old movies :hearts:

Nice choice :) Yes, I think that's the scene (was it 'Little Caesar'? with Cagney) when Jean made THE 'debut'. Before Monroe there was Jean. A mega star, SHE was like the Williams sisters, made an immediate impact as THE sex symbol. Too bad she died so early(uremic poisoning?).

Barrie_Dude
Sep 29th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Greta all the way!

Michalka
Sep 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I just LOVE Judy Garland so obviously I'm biased and I voted for her :lol: But Crawford and Shearer were HUGE in the 30s as well.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 29th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Ann Miller was the greatest dancer at MGM, followed closely by Vera Ellen :hearts:

*JR*
Sep 30th, 2012, 01:06 AM
NecK4MwOfeI <><><><> THbY7EL8k5w

tennisboi
Sep 30th, 2012, 01:34 AM
Judy all the way

Shvedbarilescu
Sep 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Myrna Loy for sure.

fantic
Sep 30th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Loy! Nice suggestion but no :lol:

And Eleanor Powell was the greatest dancer, comparable to Astaire!

The Dawntreader
Sep 30th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Garland was the star, but Garbo was the artist.

Cineast
Oct 1st, 2012, 01:26 AM
Nice choice :) Yes, I think that's the scene (was it 'Little Caesar'? with Cagney) when Jean made THE 'debut'.
Actually, it's The Public Enemy. Little Caesar starred Edward G. Robinson. (Also, both were made at WB, not MGM. Harlow wound up at MGM later.) Harlow is also not the one to get the grapefruit in the face; that was Mae Clarke.

ranfurly
Oct 1st, 2012, 01:29 AM
Garland was the star, but Garbo was the artist.

Agreed.

Cineast
Oct 1st, 2012, 01:30 AM
Universal? Margaret Sullavan.
I'd pick Deanna Durbin for Universal.

How about MGM? Hard to pick who :hehehe:
One name not mentioned yet is Marie Dressler. It's she who got top billing in Dinner at Eight. She also gets the best line at the very end, when she responds to Harlow's comment that she [Harlow] was reading a book.

Halardfan
Oct 1st, 2012, 02:24 AM
I think Jean Simmons was great though I don't know her studio affiliation.

It's amazing how many great movies she plays her part in, she was an emotional underrated actress and a great beauty too.

fantic
Oct 1st, 2012, 03:09 AM
Actually, it's The Public Enemy. Little Caesar starred Edward G. Robinson. (Also, both were made at WB, not MGM. Harlow wound up at MGM later.) Harlow is also not the one to get the grapefruit in the face; that was Mae Clarke.

Yeah, I was doubtful about it, thought it might be PE.
And yes, both were made at WB, home of the gang movies(Muni, etc.).
Didn't say Harlow got hit by the grapefruit either.
The 'street-pickup scene' was her 1st scene methink.

fantic
Oct 1st, 2012, 03:13 AM
I'd pick Deanna Durbin for Universal. 'The lesser Garland'? Maggie was
the better accomplished actress :devil:

One name not mentioned yet is Marie Dressler. It's she who got top billing in Dinner at Eight. She also gets the best line at the very end, when she responds to Harlow's comment that she [Harlow] was reading a book.

Dressler was good, no doubt. But she's not..pretty :lol:

Cineast
Oct 1st, 2012, 01:11 PM
Judy Garland is overrated. And I believe Durbin was a bigger box office draw than Sullavan.

Funny that you use better actress to support Sullavan, but not Dressler. (And, as I noted, Dressler got billing well above Harlow -- even above John Barrymore! -- in Dinner at Eight.)

fantic
Oct 1st, 2012, 01:13 PM
I think Jean Simmons was great though I don't know her studio affiliation.

It's amazing how many great movies she plays her part in, she was an emotional underrated actress and a great beauty too.

Jean was indeed beautiful, but dunno her studio affiliations. Later on from the 50s it's kinda meaningless (major studios had to be broken up because of the loss of Paramount cases; Distribution, Production, Theatre -couldn't own those all 3 any more. Now it's all about Stars)