PDA

View Full Version : 2012-13 NFL Thread

Archer16
Sep 25th, 2012, 06:31 AM
JR advised me to open this thread about a month ago, I've been busy doing other things but never for the life of me did I think that we'd be 3 weeks into the season and nobody else would open it :o
Hopefully some lively discussions soon just like previous seasons.

Those 3 weeks in a nutshell - parity. 20 out of 32 teams were 1-1 before this weekend (most this millenium), only 3 undefeated teams left after this week.
No QBs on 45 TD and 5000+ yards pace (well, maybe Eli with that 510 yd showing last week, but he's not likely to keep it up).

Some brief notes:

Atlanta have been the best team so far for my money, but not by a lot.
Arizona got a shocking but very flooky win at NE last week, but they still haven't got a decent QB since Warner retired and I don't think their D is good enough to carry them for the entire season (and their schedule for the second half is not easy). Despite the 3-0, I won't be surprised if they (again) won't make the playoffs.
San Fran look solid overall even taking into account the loss yesterday, and should once more take that pitiful division with ease.
The champs also picking up steam. As said Eli, bar the first half vs Tampa, is doing work.
Their rivals across town got a body blow yesterday with Revis done for the season with a torn ACL. It probably won't matter much which of their overhyped playcallers is going to start over the next few games.
Some powerhouses such as the Pats and the Steelers got off to a slow start, with some games that they had no business losing, but I'd be shocked if they're not a factor in January as always.
Philly's "Dreamteam" who missed the playoff last year were very lucky to start the season 2-0 despite a horde of turnovers. Vick is playing bad, but he had little protection last year and it got even worse. If they continue to play like that Reid won't be coaching them next year.
Out of the much anticipated draft choices, RG3 had outshone Luck to that point, but his D is letting him down. As noted by the ESPN crew, not once last year did the Redskins get to 30 points. They are averaging 33 this year (top of the league) yet they're only 1-2.
The Saints were always going to struggle without their head coach (and his interim), and it's not like they had much of a defence last year, but I didn't expect such a dropoff from Brees. I wonder if it's all Payton, or did his holdout affect his preparation for the season.

I'll edit this OP to give links to off-season threads and news.

Archer16
Sep 25th, 2012, 06:39 AM
And on purpose in a separate post: the replacement refs had been awful and embarrassing for the most part, blowing calls all over the place and not knowing half the rules, but what happened tonight in MNF was way beyond just bad officiating.
I'm not a fan of conspiracy theories, but that, all along the 4th quarter up to the unbelievable call on the final play, was a fix if I've ever saw one.
It's not just that this crew should never see any football field. There can't be any other explanation other than they were handed some $$$ so that the home team wins, and if so they should go to jail. We had one such corrupted ref (was it just one?) in the NBA not too long ago.
Goodell really like investigating players and teams actions. Well I hope he takes a good look at tonight's events and draw the right conclusions.

*JR*
Sep 25th, 2012, 11:09 PM
On the other controversial night game ending of Week 3, Belichick was clearly wrong, as Justin Tucker's game winning FG for the Ray-vens was clearly good. (See around 1:30 in the Youtube).

LEAF8Q80ojU

The Prophet
Sep 26th, 2012, 09:38 PM
A share of 1st place, a decisive win over the "best team in the NFL" 49ers...the Vikings are back, baby. ;)

pov
Sep 26th, 2012, 09:41 PM
On the other controversial night game ending of Week 3, Belichick was clearly wrong, as Justin Tucker's game winning FG for the Ray-vens was clearly good. (See around 1:30 in the Youtube).

I'm pretty sure that wasn't Belichick was upset about. No . that ain't so. I hope that wasn't it. There was a call a couple plays before that was way incorrect. I forget exactly what it was but at the time it happened I knew it would cost the Pats the game.

pov
Sep 26th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Other than the Pats, my interests this season are Peyton Manning, RGIII, Luck and on a lesser level Cam Newton.

The Prophet
Sep 26th, 2012, 09:56 PM
http://ll-media.tmz.com/2012/09/26/0926-nfl-refs-drew-brees-1.jpg

Archer16
Sep 27th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Yes, if the rule is that a kick over the upright is good then it was. If they were a a little longer I think the ball would hit it and wouldn't go in, just sayin'.

Surely you can say something about the MNF scandal...
Rodgers' response and some tweets (just picked a news site randomly):
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/09/25/aaron-rodgers-apologizes-for-nfl-replacement-officials/70001139/1#.UGOt4a7bLmc
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/09/25/reaction-seahawks-packers-ending-monday-night-football/70001065/1#.UGOwy67bLmc

Pack guard T.J. Lang tweets in particular broke some retweeting records:
"Got f***ed by the refs.. Embarrassing. Thanks nfl," Lang first fired off. Then, shortly after, the offensive lineman followed up with, "F*** it NFL.. Fine me and use the money to pay the regular refs."
And finally: "Any player/coach in Seattle that really thinks they won that game has zero integrity as a man and should be embarrassed".

I don't know if the income from Lang's fine is the deal maker :rolleyes: but it seems that finally even Goodell and company have had enough from the Div III refs and a deal with the real ones to come back this Sunday is very close.
Of course they didn't have the balls to change the outcome of the game, probably fearing making a precedent.

*JR*
Sep 27th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Of course they didn't have the balls to change the outcome of the game, probably fearing making a precedent.

Reminds me of how baseball commissioner Bud Selig didn't a couple of years ago, on a "safe" call that the umpire admitted he blew on the final out, denying Armando Gallaraga of the Colorado Rockies a perfect game.

NyCPsU
Sep 27th, 2012, 07:05 PM
Being a Jets fan is like a form of self torture. Its a complete fluke that we are 2-1 and I wouldnt be shocked for us to end up 2-14. A long, painful spiral begins now.

Archer16
Oct 14th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Well, the Jets did win another game today. ;)
The real "Matty Ice" of league leaders Falcons is the kicker Bryant. That guy is so money. :yeah:
And the Ravens nearly pulled today a choke for the ages against the Cowboys of all teams, but Dallas will be Dallas and they handed it back with the renowned "we're into FG range" (a.k.a. "coaching scared") and missed a potential winning kick from 51.
I wonder what would Bruce say, but Flacco really have very little to do with it and it was they usually great D who gave up 200+ rush yards (team record) for the second week running (double meaning intended).

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 15th, 2012, 07:45 AM
FINAL | MIA 17 STL 14

Stat Leaders:
QB Ryan Tannehill: 21-of-29 for 185 yards, 2 TD
WR Marlon Moore: 3 REC, 46 yards, 1 TD
DE Olivier Vernon: 4 TACKLES, 2 SACKS
WR: Davone Bess: 6 REC, 42 yards
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/185152_10151118521399611_829581110_n.jpg]

*JR*
Oct 15th, 2012, 03:16 PM
Ooh, I loved the Seabirds snatching Belichick's wig with that amazing late 4th Quarter comeback yesterday. :yeah:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000080220/article/russell-wilson-conjures-magic-for-seattle-seahawks?module=HP11_content_stream

And the Niners' "new Montana" Alex Smith did his best Joe Flacco imitation :tape: with bad INT's as they got stomped by the G-Men. :tape:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012101409/2012/REG6/giants@49ers#menu=highlights&tab=recap

NyCPsU
Oct 15th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Yesterday was an amazing day in the NFL. The Jets showed up finally. New England gets a loss they pretty much did to themselves. All teams in AFC East 3-3 :eek: I fear for the Jets next week in Gillete because the Patriots will be looking for blood.

Sir Stefwhit
Oct 15th, 2012, 07:50 PM
I love sitting around with beers on hand and watching the redzone all day! Wish I knew more gay guys that followed football, sadly I don't... I've been a Dolphin fan since I was a tiny tyke- back in 88. I honestly didn't follow much outside of my division AFC East, but since I started playing Fantasy Football I now enjoy the sport on a whole other level.

That Dallas game was crazy..,I'm not at all a fan but could imagine the heartache Cowboy fans felt with that game..lol

Archer16
Oct 16th, 2012, 12:37 AM
I love sitting around with beers on hand and watching the redzone all day! Wish I knew more gay guys that followed football, sadly I don't... I've been a Dolphin fan since I was a tiny tyke- back in 88. I honestly didn't follow much outside of my division AFC East, but since I started playing Fantasy Football I now enjoy the sport on a whole other level.

That Dallas game was crazy..,I'm not at all a fan but could imagine the heartache Cowboy fans felt with that game..lol
Usually I watch the games at home after work, but yesterday I was at a pub in Eilat and there were 3 old tourists from Baltimore (wearing Flacco shirts...). The excitement noises they've made, especially the woman :lol: And the cheer after the missed FG :lol:
The guys said they almost got a heart attack.

NyCPsU
Oct 16th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I go out almost every Sunday for football. Any excuse. :lol:

The Prophet
Oct 21st, 2012, 08:08 PM
--Saints look like they'll win their 2nd straight game. Wild card? Maybe.

--Vikings look shaky for the 2nd consecutive week. Thankfully, the Cards are awful (they were 4-0?).

--Texans beating down the Ravens. With Lewis gone, the Ravens might be done.

The Prophet
Oct 21st, 2012, 08:13 PM
The Bucs are rocking the throwbacks today. Is it me or are their old uniforms waaaay better than their current ones?

http://www2.tbo.com/mgmedia/image/0/354/23793/1108cliff4/

NyCPsU
Oct 22nd, 2012, 02:26 PM
Loved the Bucs throwbacks.

*JR*
Oct 22nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
Yesterday (10/14) was an amazing day in the NFL. The Jets showed up finally. New England gets a loss they pretty much did to themselves. All teams in AFC East 3-3 :eek: I fear for the Jets next week in Gillette because the Patriots will be looking for blood.

This time the Jets did it to themselves. I mean a 3-man rush on the Pats tying drive, letting Brady dink it downfield, slicing up Coach Fatso's team like a sushi chef?
:confused:

And (sorry Doni) the Steelers were lucky to beat the Bungles by 7 in a sloppy game last night. They won on physical dominance, but I don't think Big Ben has a brain; as in him having the ball tucked to merely take a sack, and then pulling it back, leading to a fumble. :rolleyes:

NyCPsU
Oct 22nd, 2012, 09:08 PM
The Jets played a game yesterday? I had blocked it from my mind. :sobbing:

doni1212
Oct 23rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
This time the Jets did it to themselves. I mean a 3-man rush on the Pats tying drive, letting Brady dink it downfield, slicing up Coach Fatso's team like a sushi chef?
:confused:

And (sorry Doni) the Steelers were lucky to beat the Bungles by 7 in a sloppy game last night. They won on physical dominance, but I don't think Big Ben has a brain; as in him having the ball tucked to merely take a sack, and then pulling it back, leading to a fumble. :rolleyes:

Who cares! We're 3-3 now instead of 2-4! :lol:
And it was amazing to see us enter halftime tied after all those mistakes we made. That came out of nowhere in the last couple minutes of the half! :yeah:

Archer16
Oct 29th, 2012, 01:11 AM
I'd never thought I'd say these words but I kinda of feel sorry for the Cowboys. To come back from 23 down (against their bitter division rivals and defending champs no less) and miss such a winning TD by so little is cruel.
3 receivers with 100+ yards is extremely rare and it was first such occurrence for Dallas in 49 years.
The Jets played a game yesterday? I had blocked it from my mind. :sobbing:
Seems like you'll be doing more blocking than an offensive lineman soon... Sanchez throwing >50 passes is not a good idea. Sure it was part of trailing early, but that's not the way to make a comeback, or anything for that matter.

JN
Oct 29th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Wow, the Panthers have got to be PISSED! :lol: I stopped watching during the 3rd quarter due to disgust.

DA BEARS.

Archer16
Nov 19th, 2012, 01:53 AM
Crazy game at Houston today. Matt Schaub through for 527 yards and 5 TDs, completing 43 of 55 passes, tied 2nd most for both yards and completions in a game. Andre Johnson (14-273-1) and rookie Justin Blackmon (7-236-1) marked the first time ever two opposing receivers had 200 yard games.
Although the new OT rule had been in place since last season, I think it was the first time ever that both teams scored in an NFL game (correct me if I'm wrong), and naturally the first 9 point OT for a team. Of course, the game could have easily ended in regulation: after trailing 20-34 early in the 4th, Schaub rallied the Texans back and Shayne Graham seemingly won it with a 42 yard FG, but that was called back for a false start, and he missed badly from 47 in the second try.
Lastly, what made this a game other than the Texans' usually great defence falling asleep, was Gabbert being knocked out of it early on :devil: Henne is erratic, but he's capable of an occasional big game (remember last year's opener vs Brady when he threw for 400 and Brady threw for 516?). Gabbert is just a bust.

Luck had an excellent start in Foxborough, but the rest of the way was a rough lesson for the rookie, turning it over 4 times including a couple of pick-sixes. Pats had a 2007 type game, scoring at will.
(edit: I've just read that Gronk broke his forearm and will be out for 4 to 6 weeks, but if he'll be okay for the playoffs they'll get over it.)
Wow, the Panthers have got to be PISSED! :lol: I stopped watching during the 3rd quarter due to disgust.
That was 3 weeks ago, but this year's Panthers can lose any lead no matter how much time is left on the clock ~searching for choking smiley~
That being said, props to Freeman and Tampa, and Doug Martin is really bursting into the scene. Best RB rookie season since AP in '07.

The Cards picked off Ryan 5 times, most of them deep in his own territory, and still found a way to lose (last time a QB won a game with 0 TDs and five picks: 1967). Told you their 4-0 start was a fluke and they won't be near the playoffs.

And last but not least, the Jets won a game and Sanchez was way over 50% completion percentage. Not exactly clear how much worse could have he been in previous weeks in order for the Pope to start a game :shrug: Saying that getting Tebow only for some trickery was stupid would be an understatement, and it worked wonders for Sanchez confidence, not that he was exactly elite to begin with.

jaredlikesbieber
Nov 19th, 2012, 04:03 AM
i wish the chargers would get it together instead of choking all the time :(

Super Dave
Nov 19th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Caught the Lions (LOLns) at Ford Field yesterday. I think Stafford was drunk or something. Looked horrible. Another "Same Ol' Lions" kick in the balls as Rodgers drove the Pack 80+ yards to erase a late Lions lead.

Here's a pic I took, anyway.

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5354/lionsol.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/lionsol.jpg/)

*JR*
Nov 19th, 2012, 01:10 PM
The Steelers 13-10 loss to the Ray-vens @ home last night was as ugly as the horizontally striped throwback uniforms they were wearing. :o If that wasn't the worst game in NFL history involving 2 teams with winning records this far into a season, it was close. :help:

NyCPsU
Nov 19th, 2012, 01:33 PM
The Pitt uniforms were atrocious. What the hell was that?

If the Jets want to turn around their season, a Thanksgiving victory over the Pats would be the way to do it. The schedule afterwards is so easy they could actually put together a playoff run.

Super Dave
Nov 19th, 2012, 01:38 PM
The Steelers 13-10 loss to the Ray-vens @ home last night was as ugly as the horizontally striped throwback uniforms they were wearing. :o If that wasn't the worst game in NFL history involving 2 teams with winning records this far into a season, it was close. :help:

The Pitt uniforms were atrocious. What the hell was that?

Yeah, the Steelers unis were the worst I've ever seen and Leftwich is a joke.

Archer16
Nov 19th, 2012, 03:33 PM
One more thing about the shootout in Texas: if it wasn't for a very odd decision by the Jags to go for it on 4th and 10 near midfield with about 4 minutes left in OT, we might've got a second tie in as many weeks.
Went to sleep at that point (4 am here, after all), but SB V, aka "Blunder Bowl", is always a candidate. Unless you were talking about regular season game only, then I have to think.
i wish the chargers would get it together instead of choking all the time :(
I kinda like them (although LT was the main reason for that to begin with) but no longer expect anything from them. I wish they would get a coach. :oh: And that Rivers would remember a pass caught by an opposing player is not a completion :p

JN
Nov 20th, 2012, 09:34 PM
http://www.thesurewinner.com/wp-content/uploads/leaguemanager/thumb_Sports_Logo_-_Chicago_Bears.png No comment.

Archer16
Nov 22nd, 2012, 10:23 PM
Redskins haven't had such a quarter pretty much since "The Quarter" :eek:
RG3 is off the charts :worship: The kid is scary good.
Not the the NFL passer rating is a very good measuring stick, but still it says something that very few QBs, most of them current or future HOFers, had two perfect passer ratings in their career, and he's with a real shot to do it in back-to-back games.

Archer16
Nov 23rd, 2012, 12:27 AM
Well, Romo made a game of it, but that's all he could do.
Anyone can explain why did DeAngelo Hall refrain from scoring on the onside kick return on the penultimate play? :confused:

*JR*
Nov 23rd, 2012, 03:40 AM
Redskins haven't had such a quarter pretty much since "The Quarter" :eek: RG3 is off the charts. :worship: The kid is scary good.

Well, Romo made a game of it, but that's all he could do. Anyone can explain why did DeAngelo Hall refrain from scoring on the onside kick return on the penultimate play?

Andrew Luck [edit: has basically] lived up to his hype, but Robert Griffin III is even better (especially as a leader) and Russell Wilson has made this a great year for new quarterbacks; with Colin Kaepernick, he didn't play enough games to say for sure yet.

The Pokes no longer have a credible running game (like in recent years, when Marion Barber and Julius Jones used to chew up yards). Even Dan Marino was hamstrung by the lack of one, only getting to one SB in an 18 year HOF career, with his Fins losing badly to the Niners.

Meanwhile the Lions and Texans competed 2C who could blow the early game, with Dee-troit finally getting that done in OT. The Jets reached a new level (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000099258/article/how-the-new-york-jets-lost-a-game-in-60-seconds) of embarrassment in the nightcap, giving up 21 points in less than a minute in a Pats blowout.

Hall did what you'd do up 1 point with little time left, so the other team couldn't get a runback touchdown and a 2 point conversion to tie a game. I agree that it made no sense not to score here, especially as point differential is like the 5th tiebreaker for a WC slot or a division title.

=============================================

Archer16
Nov 26th, 2012, 01:25 AM
Today's gamenotes:

Kaepernick was solid in his second start, and made some clutch throw on 3rd downs. His ceiling is almost certainly higher than Alex Smith's, but I'm not sure he's better than him right now. In any case, I like the new kid, but feel for Smith, who's played as well as he can for the last couple of seasons, and according to the crew today had won 25 out of his 26 last starts (edit: that number makes no sense, maybe it was 20 of 26?). No other coach would've made that change...
Saints are almost done, and although they did well to get back from 0-4 to 5-5, this murderous schedule is too much to overcome even for better defenses than their suspect one.
Ravens had no business winning today, in fact most of the way they were closer to being blanked than to winning. Luckily for them they were playing the San Diego Chokers. 4th and 29?! I mean 4th and 29?! How do you make that? (answer would be make a 2 yard pass and 28 yac having to break very few tackles.)
Of course, it won't be remembered as THE 4th and 26 (btw I have just discovered that Freddie Mitchell and I share the exact same birthday, m-d-y. Oh, the honor.) but might be an NFL record for a 4th down conversion. Anyone knows of a better one?

QOEq7p4r00U

The Steelers look more lost without Big Ben than the Bears without Cutler, and that's sayin' something. They've made the Browns (the Browns!) D look like, well, a good one. 8 turnovers will get you blown out by most teams, but any loss vs Cleveland is just as bad.
The top teams have been unconvincing lately, the Texans previous daunting defense making a no-show for the past two weeks, and Atlanta walking on thin ice for quite a while now. On the other hand, the Pats look increasingly like the 2007 team, and are even on pace to break the NFL scoring record they set that year. Whether they can carry that form into the postseason remains to be seen.

P.S. I don't know what do you have to smoke to make a comparison between Joe Flacco and Anne Hathaway (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000099054/article/likedislike-joe-flacco-on-the-road-bench-him), but I'm curious what does Bruce think about that one :p

Archer16
Dec 17th, 2012, 12:13 AM
If anyone had told me two weeks ago that the Seahawks would be the first team since 1950 to have back-to-back 50+ games I'd say he should be checked.
The Skins other rookie QB is pretty good, too.
And if AP gets to 2000 this season, let alone if he takes down Dickerson's rushing mark, he should get the MVP over Peyton.

*JR*
Dec 17th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Meanwhile, "Passenger Joe" Flacco set the art of playing QB in the NFL back to college level (about Division II) :o as the Rayless Rayvens got slaughtered by Denver. And poor Doni might see the Bungles actually win the AFC North. :tape:

Super Dave
Dec 27th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I never liked Lomas Brown to begin with, but him admitting he let a lineman get by intentionally to try to get Scott Mitchell out of a game in '94 is bush league. You mess with a man's livelihood and the integrity of the game. Just another black eye for this shitty franchise. I don't care what your differences are with a teammate, that's just sickening.

Melange
Dec 27th, 2012, 07:40 PM
"Obviously, Tim isn't happy with it, as you'd expect," Ryan said.

This was a surreal development even by Jets standards. Ryan opened his late-morning news conference by saying, "You're not going to believe this, but ... ."

Ryan said he was "stunned" when McElroy, with a towel wrapped around his head, walked into his office at 9:30 a.m. accompanied by trainer John Mellody.

"There's no way. I'm not going to play him," the coach said. "I don't care what the tests say. I'm going to err on the side of caution," which is why he will go with Sanchez.

Ryan defended the decision to start Sanchez.

"When you look at the circumstances we're in, I think without question this is the right decision," he said.

"Any competitor would be excited about getting another opportunity against Mark," Ryan said of Sanchez, whose future with the team is in doubt.

The Prophet
Dec 31st, 2012, 12:05 AM
Vikings-Packers = Game of the Year :worship:

Adrian Peterson: 348 carries - 2097 yards - 6.0 AVG
Eric Dickerson: 379 carries - 2105 yards - 5.6 AVG

31 less carries. Bow down, Dickerson.

*JR*
Dec 31st, 2012, 12:34 AM
Vikings-Packers = Game of the Year :worship:

Adrian Peterson: 348 carries - 2097 yards - 6.0 AVG
Eric Dickerson: 379 carries - 2105 yards - 5.6 AVG

31 less carries. Bow down, Dickerson.

O.J. Simpson: 332 carries - 2003 yards - 6.033 AVG
Adrian Peterson: 348 carries - 2097 yards - 6.026 AVG

16 less carries. Bow down, Peterson. :p

Archer16
Dec 31st, 2012, 01:22 AM
Vikings-Packers = Game of the Year :worship
And here we had to choose between 49ers-Cards and Seahawks-Rams :fiery: :ras:
O.J. Simpson: 332 carries - 2003 yards - 6.033 AVG
Adrian Peterson: 348 carries - 2097 yards - 6.026 AVG

16 less carries. Bow down, Peterson. :p
Barry Sanders: 335 carries - 2053 yards - 6.13 AVG

Bow down, O.J. (although where he's at, that might be something he wouldn't wanna do :p ).

Melange
Dec 31st, 2012, 02:51 AM
Cowboys are going out

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/Bigsteve87/Gifs/ByeBitch.gif

Melange
Dec 31st, 2012, 03:10 AM
Romo Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melange
Dec 31st, 2012, 03:36 AM
Skins draw Seattle. Hope RG3 tries to run on that defense :hearts:

JN
Dec 31st, 2012, 10:12 AM
Nice knowin' ya, Lovie! :wavey: Though it's the offense, from coaching staff down, that needs overhauling, not your position. Wake The Fcuk Up, McCaskeys!!! :(

http://www.thesurewinner.com/wp-content/uploads/leaguemanager/thumb_Sports_Logo_-_Chicago_Bears.png

Archer16
Dec 31st, 2012, 08:22 PM
Romo Time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep another "clutch" performance by Romo and the 'Boys with a playoff spot on the line. It's becoming a holidays tradition. :yawn:

RG3 wasn't even good yesterday (of course he was not 100%). Most of his passes were off, he was running at half speed at times but still made some key 1st downs with his legs.
But what a stellar showing from Alfred Morris. 200 yards, over 1600 for the season - 3rd all time for a rookie RB. And to think he's a 6th round pick. Some comparisons to another 6th rounder back who was coached by Shanahan - a guy called Terrell Davis - were made.

P.S. Dallas first TD was ridiculous. That was as clear a delay of game as you'll ever see. Don't all scoring plays get reviewed? And how is that s**t not challengeable? :(
In any case, having a ref note a clock violation is so stupid. What are we, in the 1950s? Ever heard of a buzzer?

*JR*
Dec 31st, 2012, 09:09 PM
Yep another "clutch" performance by Romo and the 'Boys with a playoff spot on the line. It's becoming a holidays tradition. :yawn:

RG3 wasn't even good yesterday (of course he was not 100%). Most of his passes were off, he was running at half speed at times but still made some key 1st downs with his legs.
But what a stellar showing from Alfred Morris. 200 yards, over 1600 for the season - 3rd all time for a rookie RB. And to think he's a 6th round pick. Some comparisons to another 6th rounder back who was coached by Shanahan - a guy called Terrell Davis - were made.

P.S. Dallas first TD was ridiculous. That was as clear a delay of game as you'll ever see. Don't all scoring plays get reviewed? And how is that s**t not challengeable? :(
In any case, having a ref note a clock violation is so stupid. What are we, in the 1950s? Ever heard of a buzzer?

Because delay of game would have been a penalty, and those can neither be called nor ovaturned from upstairs. I agree that its stupid, as are the first-down chains (how exactly do they prevent slight error bringing them in) and the use of whistles; which I think will be replaced with buzzers as soon as a fan @ an NFL, NBA, or NHL game stops a big play by blowing one.

(Wait, what's the NHL? :tape:)

Great first round matchup between 2 of the 3 standout rookie QB's (RG3 and Russell Wilson) next weekend.

Melange
Jan 6th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Houston offense starting to look like shit. Another second round exit

Melange
Jan 6th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Very close game between WASH-SEA. Wash started off 14-0 but Seattle are looking better now. RG3 needs to stop trying to run he can barely move now. Wilson is the one making the great runs

Archer16
Jan 6th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Very close game between WASH-SEA. Wash started off 14-0 but Seattle are looking better now. RG3 needs to stop trying to run he can barely move now. Wilson is the one making the great runs
RG3 and the Redskins looked fantastic in the opening quarter but his re-injury turned the game completely and Washington has no offense whatsoever since then, as the Seahawks know they only have to take care of Morris.
Either he or Shanahan should have admitted he's not himself anymore (can't throw properly either) and replace him with Cousins.
They are very lucky to be still leading after 3 but it won't last long if the game stays in this direction.

As for Houston, they completely dominated the weakest team in the playoffs, and should have won by 25, but did their utmost to keep it close with poor execution in the red zone and that pick-six by Schaub. Had they managed to somehow lose, it would've been the most WTF result I've seen in any game since "they are who we thought they are".

Melange
Jan 6th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Thats the end of RG3 and Wash. So who was the genius who told him he could run the ball in this game?

Archer16
Jan 6th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Hybris and Seattle d. Washington 24(?)-14

Schottenheimer lost his job in SD after a 14-2 season over one game for not handing it to a then unstoppable LT and Shanahan's decision to keep RG3 in the game is more detrimental to his team than what Marty did there.
Game is over now, and one can only hope for Washington this isn't serious and won't affect them next season.

Melange
Jan 6th, 2013, 11:23 PM
They better hope he has not done major damage to it. Just proves my theory that theres no such thing as running QBs in the NFL, theres just an injury waiting to happen.

Archer16
Jan 6th, 2013, 11:39 PM
They better hope he has not done major damage to it. Just proves my theory that theres no such thing as running QBs in the NFL, theres just an injury waiting to happen.
I don't agree with your theory. Sure it's a high risk but also high reward as it changes the entire defensive mindset of the opposing team.
These two teams would have not made the playoffs without their running QBs, and if you go back in time there were some QBs who ran it quite a bit and had long and illustrious careers, such as Tarkenton and Young.

Melange
Jan 6th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Do you think they will continue to let RG3 run like that, assuming he recovers completely? He's also a concussion waiting to happen. Before the season, he was already considered too undersized to be a consistent runner against NFL defenders. I dont think QBs from the past ran as much, with the same athleticism and as offensively as they do now. As far as I know, Young didnt run much for most of his time at SF. The QBs from last two seasons are taking it another level.

Archer16
Jan 7th, 2013, 12:41 AM
I don't know and only time will tell, but if I was a betting man I'd say yes, because that's who this team is.
You can't let fear dictate what you do, however you have to be honest with yourself about a gameday situation and Shanahan was simply lying to himself today. So was Griffin, but that's understandable with being a rookie and gametime adrenaline flowing, so I hold the veteran coach responsible for this.

I don't know that running QBs are getting injured more than passers. Brady and Manning went out for a year. Brees had a shoulder problem and his career was in jeopardy. Palmer ended his best season with a knee injury in the wild card and was never the same player since. On the other hand, Vick, certainly the most prolific running QB of the past decade, was relatively injury free in his days with the Falcons, and his injury problems started in Philly because he had no protection at all.
The quality of the offensive line is a major factor in a QB longevity potential.

Your last sentence is true, but that's part of the game's evolution. Today's rules are much more protective for QBs than 20 or 30 years ago.

Archer16
Jan 13th, 2013, 12:07 AM
John Fox is a wimp and he deserves to lose this game.
Disgusting playcalling on both sides of the ball. :o

Melange
Jan 13th, 2013, 01:29 AM
Elway is looking like a genius right now

*JR*
Jan 13th, 2013, 02:54 AM
Elway is looking like a genius right now

If you mean for hiring Fox, I guess so. Ironically Elway was the losing QB in Denver when 9-7 Jacksonville made their first playoff appearance in 1997; a squad under HC Tom Coughlin, facing his later NFC East rival Mike Shanahan.

So the Jags pulled off the Mile High upset, and the next year the Broncos were only a WC, finishing behind Schottenheimer-coached KC. So Elway promptly leads them to the first of their 2 straight SB wins (with great RB Terrell Davis carrying a lot of the load). :shrug:

The way Kapernick is playing, Rodgers may have a lot of time on his hands to do more doublecheck commercials. :help: And as the Pack knocked the Vikees out last week, it looks like the regular season MVP (Adrian or Peyton) will be a player whose team lost its first playoff game this year.

vFco7i-ICmE

Super Dave
Jan 13th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Bal / Den may be the best game I've ever seen. At least in recent memory. Has to rank up there with the Kellen Winslow game in '81 (Mia / SD)

mykarma
Jan 13th, 2013, 03:51 AM
Time for the underdogs to stop winning.

Go Pats!!!

Archer16
Jan 13th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I have so much to say about the Broncos-Ravens game...
I'm really sorry for the game's MVP (they don't have to automatically be picked out of the winning team), Trindon Holliday, to have such an amazing showing be outdone by his D and his coach :hug:

As for Fox, all that running up the middle in 3rd (and 4th) and short that was stuffed time and time again; giving Baltimore another shot when they only had to get one more first down to run out the clock, but he wouldn't let Peyton air it so to run another 40 seconds off the clock; taking a knee at the end of both halves with 0:30 and timeouts; leaving the vastly overrated Champ Bailey (who used to be burned by Peyton in the playoffs in years past) to be torched by Torrey Smith on the right side when you know Flacco can't throw left as effectively.
Put Belichick, Payton or Jim Harbaugh in his place and the Broncos win this game by double-digits.

As for "Passenger Joe", he's been the laughing stock around here for years, but the guy is building a bit of resume in the playoffs, and he was the better QB out there over Manning (seems unreal to write these words). He saved his team with two final minute TDs at each half.
And don't forget his should-have-been-winning-TD in the last minute of AFC championship game last year, wiped out by the oh-so-stupid "two feet down aren't enough, you have to make a move with the ball after the catch" rule.

As for Kaepernick and the 49ers, I'm really in a loss for words. :bolt: :eek:

JN
Jan 13th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Great NFL weekend! :woohoo:

mykarma
Jan 14th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Brendon Ayanbadejo rips Patriots
Updated: January 14, 2013, 11:17 AM ET
ESPN.com news services

Ayanbadejo Takes Shots At Pats

The war of words between the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots already is under way.

While New England was in the process of defeating the Houston Texans on Sunday to set up an AFC Championship Game rematch with Baltimore, Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo ripped the Patriots on Twitter, particularly criticizing their no-huddle offense.

"New England does some suspect stuff on offense. Can't really respect it. Comparable to a cheap shot b4 a fight," Ayanbadejo tweeted.

In tweets that followed he also called the Patriots' hurry-up offense "a gimmick" and made references to the Spygate scandal.

He apologized on Monday for comments with another tweet.

"I made selfish comments on twitter last night that reflected poorly upon myself, my teammates, and the organization. For that I apologize," he wrote.

Ayanbadejo will get an opportunity to see New England's offense in person next Sunday when the Ravens visit the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game for the second consecutive season. New England won last year's meeting, 23-20, thanks to a missed field goal by Baltimore's Billy Cundiff as time expired.

The Patriots gained 457 yards of total offense in Sunday's 41-28 victory over the Texans, as Tom Brady passed for 344 yards while orchestrating a hurry-up offense that confounded Houston throughout the contest.

But Ayanbadejo was unimpressed, referring to the Patriots' approach as "a gimmick" Sunday.

SportsNation: Ayanbadejo Calls Out Pats

SportsNationThe new Brendon Ayanbadejo called the Patriots' hurry-up offense a ''gimmick''. Is he talking trash, or does he have a point?
• Cast your votes!

"Are you watching the game pats vs texans?" Ayanbadejo tweeted. "If so you see the hurry snap offense catch em b4 they set up. It's a gimmick."

He later tweeted: "Their offense is good enough to be successful with out that."

Ayanbadejo proceeded to make a critical reference to the Spygate scandal and Patriots coach Bill Belichick's decision to cut wide receiver Tiquan Underwood one day before Super Bowl XLVI.

"You know the same organization that did spygate and cut a guy the day b4 the Super Bowl," he tweeted.

Ayanbadejo also referred to the Patriots' 2007 season, when they completed the only 16-0 regular season in NFL history but lost to the New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII.

"18-1," he tweeted.

Tom Brady, in his weekly radio interview with WEEI on Monday, took the high road when asked about the tweets.

Patriots in AFC Championship Game

Patriots:

"I think we've had a lot of people comment about our team and our players this year, and I think the best thing that we do is ignore the noise and we go out and try to prepare, and nothing really that anybody says or does is going to affect what happens next Sunday," he said. "I think it's best for us to just focus on what we can do and that's prepare and work and do what we've done all season. People want to say things, write things, they have the liberty to do that, but it doesn't really have any bearing on what we do."

Brady made it clear that he didn't need the remarks for motivation, instead focusing on the fact that his team is one win away from a return to the Super Bowl.

"That's the only motivation we need," he said. "That's the ultimate motivation."

Ayanbadejo, a standout player on the Ravens' special teams' unit, started three games this season and registered one sack.

The Ravens rallied past the Patriots for a 31-30 victory in Week 3 this season. Ayanbadejo, who did not record a tackle in that contest, posted several tweets stating that he "Can't Wait!" for the latest rematch between the rivals.

ESPNBoston.com's Field Yates contributed to this report.

Archer16
Jan 14th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Great NFL weekend! :woohoo:
Yeah it was :lick:
69 points per game (easily the most ever for this round), and at least 28 by all eight teams. So much for "defense wins championships"...

Falcons won a playoff game, would you believe it. Sure they preceded it with a monumental collapse (huge credit for Wilson and co. for that) but they did get the win.
The real "Matty Ice" of league leaders Falcons is the kicker Bryant. That guy is so money. :yeah:
Told ya. Both of them deserve this nick.

The Pats game wasn't as close as the score would suggest, and even without the Gronk (again), they once more look like the team to beat.
As for the stupid tweet, is there anything in the rules against hurry-up offense? And if it's so easy to catch the opposing D off-guard with it, why isn't everyone doin' it?

Melange
Jan 21st, 2013, 01:22 AM
NE offense really suck

Archer16
Jan 21st, 2013, 10:46 PM
NE offense really suck
As if their D was any better in the second half :o
That game reminded me of the Titans-Jags AFC champs in 1999/00 in that the hosts and favorites also dominated the first half there and should have gone into halftime with a much bigger lead, then failed to show up to the 2nd half.

But what about the Falcons finishing up the collapse they couldn't complete last week? :bigclap: Ryan was unstoppable in the first half, and I have to admit I was sure they were gonna put 40+, although with Kaepernick heating up after a slow start that wouldn't necessarily be enough...
As it was, the game shouldn't have even been as close as it was - only Akers' 14th miss of the season (NFL worst over the past decade and one have to fear for the guy's job, that is if he has a backup other than Billy "wide left" Cundiff) and that fluke fumble inches from the goal line deprived SF of 10 more points they could have easily had.

Anyway, onto the Harbaugh Bowl... I think Jim is the better coach and he has the better team, but who knows.
And again, first season in years no one is here to bash TF favorite passing pigeon and the guy outplays Manning and Brady back-to-back. Unbelievable.

Archer16
Feb 3rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
1000 Beyonce halftime show posts, zero (until now) actual football posts leading up to the big one... :tape:

Post predictions, people.
I'm pretty bad at these but 24-17 Niners, wth (Edit: Ditka, you copycat :p ).

Over/under 5 different posters on this thread tonight ;)

Dodoboy.
Feb 3rd, 2013, 11:53 PM
I was wondering where this was!

Archer16
Feb 4th, 2013, 12:00 AM
I was wondering where this was!
So are the Niners.

*JR*
Feb 4th, 2013, 12:13 AM
So are the Niners.

Would be interesting if Jim H has the guts to "go to the bullpen" and give Alex Smith a chance to take back the starting QB job he only lost because of an injury (despite being the highest rated QB in the NFC if not the entire league @ that point this season). I don't expect it, though.

Archer16
Feb 4th, 2013, 12:26 AM
Would be interesting if Jim H has the guts to "go to the bullpen" and give Alex Smith a chance to take back the starting QB job he only lost because of an injury (despite being the highest rated QB in the NFC if not the entire league @ that point this season). I don't expect it, though.
I'd be floored if he does that.
BTW, not looking for Crabtree for an easy first down at the 4 or so in the penultimate play was just as bad as the pick on Kaepernick's behalf.
And something big has to happen in order for Joe "TF passing pigeon" to not get SB MVP.

Archer16
Feb 4th, 2013, 12:34 AM
kthxbye :wavey:
Game Ova.

*JR*
Feb 4th, 2013, 01:07 AM
The league has been embarrassingly silent about the power outage. Goodell must have a concussion. :o And they could have been playing 10 minutes ago. Check out the conditions for the Bears - Eagles playoff game in 1988:

yLdGCHUbMCY

BTW, Bill Cowher agreed with me about the Niners going with Alex Smith now.

Archer16
Feb 4th, 2013, 01:34 AM
Out of the dark blue, suddenly we have a game :bolt:

Tennis Fool
Feb 4th, 2013, 01:37 AM
So... can a whole team choke?

Power outage was like an instant medical t/o :rolls:

Archer16
Feb 4th, 2013, 02:51 AM
What a waste of the potential mother of all SB comebacks :[
Very questionable playcalling at goal to go.
Congrats to the Ravens. Wonder if it'd have been a 25 point blowout if not for the power outage...

Tennis Fool
Feb 4th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Medical t/o still didn't quite save SF-- but awfully close!

Patrick345
Feb 4th, 2013, 03:10 AM
So... can a whole team choke?

Power outage was like an instant medical m/o :rolls:

Was Vika there? :angel:

Thank God the Ravens won.

Barktra
Feb 4th, 2013, 05:01 AM
Baltimore :cheer: wanted them to win.

The refs made the right call on the last 49ers possession during 4th down and like so little yards to go. I saw Crabtree use a facemask.

Super Dave
Feb 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM
So could they have called for a fair catch on the free kick and had a play from scrimmage? The announcers mentioned it, but then they ran it back. I don't know what the rule is.

Super Dave
Feb 4th, 2013, 04:13 PM
BTW that commercial with Bar Rafaeli making out with that gweeb was the sickest thing I've ever seen. I nearly threw up.

*JR*
Feb 4th, 2013, 04:39 PM
So could they have called for a fair catch on the free kick and had a play from scrimmage? The announcers mentioned it, but then they ran it back. I don't know what the rule is.

On any kickoff (or "free kick" after a safety) the clock doesn't start until after the catch; or @ all on a fair catch. SF would have had the 4 seconds left, but Sam Koch's punt was to about their 25. Kaepernick has a good arm, but couldn't have reached the endzone with a Hail Mary from (80 yards away, including the distance behind the line he'd have thrown from).

Its good that Ray Lewis retired, as he's a shadow of his former greatness, and couldn't run down anybody. And his team could have used its former "RB by committee" of Ray Rice, Willis McGahee, and occassionally FB LeRon McClain to grind out some long drives in the 2nd half. Baltimore WR Anquan Boldin was fantastic, pulling in anything Flacco got near him; he's sort of like a Tight End (in terms of strength) playing Wide Receiver.

Super Dave
Feb 4th, 2013, 04:49 PM
On any kickoff (or "free kick" after a safety) the clock doesn't start until after the catch; or @ all on a fair catch. SF would have had the 4 seconds left, but Sam Koch's punt was to about their 25. Kaepernick has a good arm, but couldn't have reached the endzone with a Hail Mary from (80 yards away, including the distance behind the line he'd have thrown from).

Its good that Ray Lewis retired, as he's a shadow of his former greatness, and couldn't run down anybody. And his team could have used its former "RB by committee" of Ray Rice, Willis McGahee, and occassionally FB LeRon McClain to grind out some long drives in the 2nd half. Baltimore WR Anquan Boldin was fantastic, pulling in anything Flacco got near him; he's sort of like a Tight End (in terms of strength) playing Wide Receiver.

Yeah, but they maybe could've tried one of those crazy nine-lateral plays :lol: I thought they'd do that on the kick return.

Boldin is amazing.

KournikovaFan91
Feb 4th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Congrats Ravens :cheer: Have a few friends in Baltimore so was happy.

Now Steelers get your shit together for next year. :p

Super Dave
Apr 29th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Tebow cut by the Jets. CFL? :shrug:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9222870/new-york-jets-cut-tim-tebow

Melange
Apr 29th, 2013, 06:13 PM
His fault for joining that team. How can he practise throwing that much and still be so bad at it. So the Jets are down to 5 QBs now?

Archer16
Apr 29th, 2013, 11:17 PM
His fault for joining that team. How can he practise throwing that much and still be so bad at it. So the Jets are down to 5 QBs now?
They're be better off using him as an extra RB and not throwing at all than having another season with Mark "butt-fumble" Sanchez behind center, and even more amazingly with Rex Ryan still on the sidelines. Clown team.

Tebow is erratic as a thrower, but he really deserves better than that. Worse QBs have started regularly over the past few years.

*JR*
Apr 30th, 2013, 12:50 AM
Where will Tim Tebow end up? (Psst: The Pats?)

Remember: It just takes one team. Now that he has been released by the Jets, there is one certainty as it relates to Tim Tebow: He will be in the NFL next season.

Now that the Jets’ futile attempts to trade Tebow have put him on the open market, available to any team that wants him, the reality is that — despite the naysayers — there will be interest from at least a handful of teams.

Meanwhile, that interest will increase dramatically if Tebow is willing to play roles beyond QB — something he was willing (if not dreaming) to do in New York. Remember: It just takes one team, a lesson that everyone should remember from the 2010 NFL Draft, especially as we identify the most likely landing spot for Tebow:

(1) New England Patriots. Not unlike before the 2010 draft, I think this is where Tebow ends up, for a couple of sensible reasons:

*Josh McDaniels, who drafted Tebow in Denver, is the offensive coordinator. No one is a bigger Tebow fan. McDaniels also has a vested interest in proving Tebow to be a solid NFL contributor.

*Bill Belichick loves to tweak — conventional wisdom, the media — almost as much as he loves a strategic advantage, which Tebow gives him.

Watch Belichick get Tebow 10 TDs, just to show he can. (And if you doubt that, just consider that Belichick got 8 receiving TDs for linebacker Mike Vrabel from 2002-2007, including 3 in 2005, which gave him more TDs than, say, Andre Johnson.)

Full article, various pics: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/04/where-will-tim-tebow-end-up-psst-the-pats

A negative take on his chances: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/04/why-tim-tebow-still-probably-wont-make-an-nfl-roster-in-2013

Melange
May 1st, 2013, 06:40 PM
OMAHA, Neb. -- The Omaha Beef have a job waiting for Tim Tebow if he wants it -- and the Nebraska indoor football team will even pay him $75 a game.

A day after Tebow was cut by the New York Jets, the Beef called the office of Tebow agent Jimmy Sexton to offer a standard player contract.

Beef assistant general manager Andrew Mather said Tuesday that he doesn't expect to hear back, but he thought it was worth asking.

Tebow went unclaimed on NFL waivers Tuesday.

The Beef's quarterback, James McNear, has led the team to a 5-1 start. He's completing 70 percent of his passes and has thrown for 21 touchdowns against just two interceptions.

McNear is anything but insulted by the Beef's wooing of Tebow.

"I think Tim can learn a lot from me," McNear said.

Cilla
Jun 10th, 2013, 10:08 PM
Tebow to the Pats :hysteric:

*JR*
Jun 10th, 2013, 11:51 PM
RIP (from a week ago) to perhaps the greatest pass rusher in NFL history, David "Deacon" Jones of the Los Angeles Rams. B4 the Steel Curtain, the Doomsday Defense, etc, LA had the Fearsome Foursome. (The other on that line 3 being Rosey Grier, the late Lamar Lundy, and the late Merlin Olsen).

The only reason the Deacon doesn't hold the sack records is that the stat wasn't kept then; in fact, he invented the term. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/legendary-defensive-end-deacon-jones-dies-74-052049616.html The only other defensive lineman I think was maybe "in his league" was Mean Joe Greene.

[Edit: no disrespect to great DL's like Reggie White and Bruce Smith, but IMO Deacon & Mean Joe were a cut above.]

Melange
Jun 11th, 2013, 03:21 AM
I was reading Tebow news yesterday and there was no mention that any team was talking to him. A good place to go to avoid the media and learn to throw, although apparently his throwing has already been corrected after a few days coaching with 49ers legend Chris Weinke. He just needed some adjustment to his footwork :yeah:

*JR*
Jun 16th, 2013, 03:25 AM
In 2005, New England Patriots owner "gave" his Super Bowl ring to Russian president Vladimir Putin as a gift. Except, the exchange wasn't copacetic. How would you react if Vladimir Putin put on your ring, said "I can kill someone with this ring," :scared: before leaving with three goons on his tail? Probably the same way Kraft did, if you're being completely honest. According to existing records, Kraft gave the ring to Putin "as a symbol of the respect and admiration," for Putin and the mother Russia during a June 2005 meeting of prominent business executives at the time. Putin "was clearly taken with [the ring's] uniqueness," Kraft said at the time.

But taken is the most important word in that statement, according to the story Kraft told at the Carnegie Hall’s Medal of Excellence gala, relayed in Saturday's New York Post. He now admits Putin took the ring without his consent: “I took out the ring and showed it to [Putin], and he put it on and he goes, ‘I can kill someone with this ring,’ ” Kraft told the crowd at Carnegie Hall’s Medal of Excellence gala at the Waldorf-Astoria. “I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out.”

The Patriots were coming off their third Super Bowl victory of the that decade, so it's not like Kraft is at a complete loss. He still has two other diamond encrusted rings keeping his hands properly flossed in with triumph. Kraft did try to retrieve the ring, with White House help, but the government had other ideas. "It would really be in the best interest of US-Soviet relations if you meant to give the ring as a present," the White House told Kraft. Sorry, Mr. Kraft, but your Super Bowl ring was not worth irking the country's relationship with Russia. What Putin wants, he gets.

People are now celebrating the fact that Putin has more Super Bowl rings than Tim Tebow, Mark Sanchez and Donovan McNabb combined. (Added by me: And more than Anna Kournikova has WTA singles titles, or Elena Dementieva has grand slam trophies). :tape: But, most importantly, this also means Putin has stolen half as many Super Bowl rings from the Patriots as the New York Giants. http://www.theatlanticwire.com/entertainment/2013/06/vladimir-putin-could-kill-someone-his-stolen-super-bowl-ring/66271

Melange
Jun 16th, 2013, 05:50 AM
He should have filmed the meeting

Archer16
Jun 16th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I eagerly anticipate the day someone puts something in his drink, and I don't mean a sleeping pill.
A modern day Stalin in a "democratic" regime.

SYnVYJDxu2Q

meyerpl
Jun 16th, 2013, 09:07 PM
Apparently Bill Belichick decided it was time to bring a circus to Gillette Stadium.

*JR*
Jun 17th, 2013, 03:33 PM
LONDON (Reuters) - Vladimir Putin's opponents often brand him a "thief" at street protests. Now the Kremlin is dismissing an American football team owner's account of how the Russian president ended up with his diamond-encrusted Super Bowl ring when they met eight years ago.

According to the New York Post, New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft told the audience at a recent awards ceremony that he had intended only to show Putin the ring, worth more than $25,000, but that Putin had pocketed it.

Putin's spokesman said that Kraft clearly meant the ring - around 70 of which are given to the winning team in the annual American football championship - to be a gift, and suggested Kraft should see a psychoanalyst.

"I was standing right behind the president, and I saw how he was given the ring," spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters on Sunday in London, where Putin met British Prime Minister David Cameron on the eve of a G8 summit in Northern Ireland.

Kraft met Putin in St Petersburg in 2005, after the Patriots beat the Philadelphia Eagles in the Super Bowl that February. In a statement at the time, he reportedly said he had decided to give Putin the ring as a gesture of goodwill.

But according to the Post, Kraft told the audience at an awards ceremony in New York that, after he had shown the ring to Putin and Putin put it on, "I put my hand out and he put it in his pocket, and three KGB guys got around him and walked out".

He said he had wanted the ring back but that the White House, then under President George W. Bush, had told him it would be better for relations with Moscow if he treated it as a gift, the newspaper reported on a society page.

"These words about how someone put pressure on him and so forth - I think this is an issue for a detailed discussion with psychoanalysts," Peskov said. Peskov said Putin was prepared to buy a ring and give it to Kraft, but he said nothing about returning the Super Bowl ring.

"This gentleman is experiencing such agonising pain from the loss that occurred in connection with an act of trust in 2005," Peskov said. "The president will be ready to send him as a gift some other ring, which he can buy with his own money."

Go Vlad! Field a team of Rooskies to play in the NFL, and win the Super Bowl. :boxing:

Melange
Jun 19th, 2013, 08:06 PM
"Keep opening your mouth, and I will frame your quarterback too."

- Putin to Kraft

That's why I stick to shooting myself.

- Plaxico Burress

"5 more TEs to go til I get to play!!"

- Tebow

"My back hurts" - Gronk
"Want me to kill you?" - Hernandez

Meanwhile: Andy Reid just murdered another meatball sub

"Tim Tebow's teammate isn't believed to be a murder suspect but a vehicle registered in Tim Tebow's teammate's name emerged as a key piece of evidence. A body was found less than a mile from Tim Tebow's teammate's house in North Attleboro. Si.com reports that a source acknowledged a connection between Tim Tebow's teammate and the case."

Belichick has listed Hernandez as doubtful for Week 1

My husband can't throw the ball, and catch the ball, and dispose of the bodies. - Giselle

Gronk SMASH, but Gronk no kill!
Gronk have feelings, too....
Gronk miss teammate *Frown*
Gronk just want have fun
Gronk dance, Gronk no shoot

that wasn't a cleaning service, it was a family reunion
Only if they mowed the lawn.

"I think I would definitely search the kitchen first"
-Andy Reid

Archer16
Jun 19th, 2013, 09:02 PM
:lol:
My husband can't throw the ball, and catch the ball, and dispose of the bodies. - Giselle
Of course he can. He's Tom Brady.

Seriously I don't think anything will happen on that front.
The guy who filed the lawsuit has just noticed he'd been shot 4 months ago?

Melange
Jun 21st, 2013, 12:44 PM
Tebow time to step up :bigclap:

Massachusetts State Police issued an arrest warrant Friday for New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez for obstruction of justice in connection with a homicide investigation, ABC News reported.

The warrant, first reported by WBZ NewsRadio 1030 and citing an anonymous law enforcement source, was issued after police discovered that the security system at Hernandez's home, along with his cellphone, were destroyed, sources told ABC News.

Police were at Hernandez's home again Thursday with another search warrant based on evidence that Hernandez "destroyed his home security system," an investigator close to the case told ABC News.

The investigator and other law enforcement sources confirmed the security system was smashed intentionally. Hernandez's cellphone was handed over to investigators "in pieces" by his attorneys, sources added.

Surveillance video from the North Attleborough, Mass., neighborhood of Hernandez shows him with Odin Lloyd and two other people hours before Lloyd was killed earlier this week, sources confirmed to ABC News late Thursday.

In addition, the Boston Globe reported that video images appear to show Hernandez and Lloyd together on Fayston Street in Boston early Monday morning.

Hernandez, 23, has been at the center of the investigation since the body of Lloyd, a 27-year-old semi-pro football player, was found shot in the back of the head Monday in an industrial park near Hernandez's home in North Attleborough.

Hernandez has not been ruled out as a suspect in the murder, law enforcement sources told ABC earlier Thursday.

Police also want to know why a team of house cleaners was hired on Monday to scrub Hernandez's mansion, sources told ABC News.

Police say Lloyd was dating the sister of the mother of Hernandez's daughter.

Meanwhile, a lawsuit has been refiled in Florida against Hernandez by a man the tight end allegedly shot in South Florida in February. The lawsuit contends Alexander S. Bradley was shot in the arm but the bullet traveled to his head, causing him to lose his right eye.

Video footage by a WCVB-TV chopper showed Hernandez traveling by car to Gillette Stadium on Thursday morning. He left the stadium shortly after noon, then was swarmed by reporters after he stopped at a gas station.

The Boston Herald reported that Hernandez was told to leave the stadium by staff, who were waiting for him when he showed up for a workout. Patriots spokesperson Stacey James told the newspaper that he had no idea why Hernandez came to the stadium.

"No coaches are here," said James, who declined further comment to the Herald.

Lloyd's body was discovered in a clearing near John Dietsch Boulevard, not far from a vehicle that had been rented by Hernandez. Police have ruled Lloyd's death a homicide.

"It has been widely reported in the media that the state police have searched the home of our client, Aaron Hernandez, as part of an ongoing investigation. Out of respect for that process, neither we nor Aaron will have any comment about the substance of that investigation until it has come to a conclusion," attorney Michael Fee said in a statement.

Police are asking for the public's help in locating a silver mirror cover believed to have been broken off a vehicle and might be visible along a route of travel between Dorchester, where Lloyd was from, and North Attleborough.

The NFL is not commenting on the Hernandez situation at this point, a league official told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. But the NFL is monitoring developments, as it would in any matter of this nature.

Bradley, the man who claims he was shot by Hernandez after the two argued upon leaving a Miami nightclub in February, is represented by New York attorney David Jaroslawicz.

Asked whether he has a police report of the incident, Jaroslawicz declined to provide information. According to USA Today Sports, his client was in the hospital for weeks, and "I'm sure the police were there."

A spokesman for Miami-Dade police told USA Today that he was checking to see whether a report was filed.

A police report from the Palm Beach County Sheriff describes a shooting incident involving a man named Bradley on Feb. 13. The sheriff's office deemed the case inactive because Bradley refused to cooperate. Hernandez was not named in the report.

In another development Thursday, police in Providence, R.I., said Hernandez was taunted in May by a man at a nightclub near the Brown University campus but walked away. The man followed Hernandez for three blocks and a crowd formed, held back by police while Hernandez got into his vehicle and left.

*JR*
Jun 26th, 2013, 04:55 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Video/__NEW/whdh_hernandez_arrest2_1306.vembedlarge456.jpg :eek:

New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez was taken from his home in handcuffs Wednesday, more than a week after a Boston semi-pro football player was found dead in an industrial park a mile from the player's house. (June 26)

Kevin Manahan, USA TODAY Sports 12:32 p.m. EDT June 26, 2013

NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH, Mass. — The Patriots' Aaron Hernandez has been arrested and taken into custody by police, who are investigating the homicide of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, who was found shot execution-style about a half-mile from Hernandez's home.

Hernandez, wearing red shorts and sneakers, was led out from his home handcuffed, his arms inside a white V-neck white T-shirt and behind his back, and placed in the back seat of a police cruiser. Hernandez has been at the center of a police investigation into Lloyd's death.

The 27-year-old's body was found on June 17 in an industrial park by a nighttime jogger, about a half-mile from Hernandez's home. Police ruled the death a homicide, and Lloyd's family members said Lloyd, who was shot in the head, and Hernandez were friends who had been together the previous day.

Just hours after the arrest, the New England Patriots announced in a statement that the team released Hernandez.

Full article: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/06/26/aaron-hernandez-handcuffed-police-custody/2458991

Melange
Jun 27th, 2013, 12:44 AM
The Bengals need a TE

Melange
Jun 27th, 2013, 02:05 AM
ATTLEBORO, Mass. -- Aaron Hernandez has been charged with murdering his friend after the two had a dispute during a trip to a nightclub.

Hernandez was arrested Wednesday and charged with the first-degree murder of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, a semipro football player whose body was found in an industrial park about a mile from the former New England Patriots tight end's home.

Hernandez, released by the Patriots less than two hours after his arrest, pleaded not guilty and has been ordered to be held without bail. He also faces five gun-related charges, which were revealed Wednesday afternoon in Attleboro District Court.

Lloyd's relatives said he was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancée, that the two men were friends and that the men were out together on the last night of Lloyd's life. Lloyd was shot multiple times in the back and chest, authorities said.

Hernandez, 23, also was charged with one count of carrying a firearm without a license, two counts of possessing a large-capacity firearm and two counts of possessing a firearm without an FID card. (An FID card is a firearms ID card and allows the holder to possess non-large-capacity rifles and shotguns in his or her home. It is not the same as a license to carry.)

Judge Daniel J. O'Shea ordered both prosecutors and Hernandez's defense attorneys to refrain from publicly commenting on the case.

"The reality is that this case is still an ongoing investigation," Bristol County District Attorney C. Samuel Sutter said. "Invariably it is in the best interest of an ongoing investigation for the district attorney's office not to comment."

Hernandez could get life without parole if convicted. He was transported to the Bristol County House of Correction and Jail in North Dartmouth, Mass.

"It is at bottom a circumstantial case. It is not a strong case," said Hernandez's attorney Michael Fee.

Lloyd's family members cried and hugged in the courtroom as prosecutor Bill McCauley outlined the killing. Two relatives were so overcome with emotion that they had to leave the courtroom.

McCauley said the crime stemmed from a night out at a Boston club called Rumor on June 14. He said Hernandez was upset about certain things, including that Lloyd had talked to some people Hernandez "had troubles with."

Two days later, McCauley said, on the night of June 16, Hernandez texted two friends from out of state and asked them to hurry back to Massachusetts.

Surveillance footage from outside Hernandez's home showed him leaving with a gun, and he told someone in the house that he was upset and couldn't trust anyone anymore, the prosecutor said.

The three men picked up Lloyd at his home around 2:30 a.m., according to authorities. As they drove around, they discussed what happened at the nightclub, and Lloyd started getting nervous, McCauley said.

Lloyd texted his sister, "Did you see who I am with?" When she asked who, Lloyd answered, at 3:22 a.m., "NFL," then, a minute later, "Just so you know."

Within a few minutes after that, people working the overnight shift at the industrial park reported hearing gunshots, McCauley said.

Investigators did not specify who fired the shots and did not identify the two other people who were with Hernandez.

In arguing unsuccessfully for bail, Hernandez's attorney said the athlete is unlikely to flee, is a homeowner, and lives with his fiancee and an 8-month-old baby. He also said Hernandez had never been accused of a violent crime.

A man filed a lawsuit last week claiming Hernandez shot him after they argued at a strip club in February in Florida. However, no criminal charges were filed, and the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office deemed the case, which did not name Hernandez, inactive because the alleged victim refused to cooperate.

Hernandez was wearing a white V-neck T-shirt with his arms inside the shirt and behind his back as he was led from his sprawling North Attleborough home at approximately 8:45 a.m. Wednesday. He casually spit into some bushes on his way to a police cruiser.

At about 10:20 a.m. Wednesday, the Patriots announced they had released Hernandez and expressed sympathy to Lloyd's family and friends.

"Words cannot express the disappointment we feel knowing that one of our players was arrested as a result of this investigation," the Patriots said in a statement. "We realize that law enforcement investigations into this matter are ongoing. We support their efforts and respect the process. At this time, we believe this transaction is simply the right thing to do."

The NFL also released a statement Wednesday, saying Hernandez's arrest is "deeply troubling."

"The involvement of an NFL player in a case of this nature is deeply troubling," the league's statement said. "The Patriots have released Aaron Hernandez, who will have his day in court. At the same time, we should not forget the young man who was the victim in this case and take this opportunity to extend our deepest sympathy to Odin Lloyd's family and friends."

The Patriots drafted Hernandez, originally from Bristol, Conn., out of the University of Florida in 2010. Last summer, the team signed him to a five-year contract worth $40 million.

Hernandez is one of 28 NFL players arrested since this year's Super Bowl on Feb. 3, according to a database kept by U-T San Diego.

During the 2010 draft, one team said it wouldn't take Hernandez under any circumstances, and he wasn't selected until New England took him in the fourth round.

Afterward, Hernandez said he had failed a drug test in college -- reportedly for marijuana -- and was up front with teams about it.

The Boston Globe also reported Hernandez lost his temper and threatened a teammate during an argument in the team's weight room shortly after he was drafted.

Hernandez became a father Nov. 6 and said he intended to change his ways: "Now, another one is looking up to me. I can't just be young and reckless Aaron no more. I'm going to try to do the right things."

In other news, Brady said he would also catch the ball if it was needed.

Sally Struthers
Jun 27th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Well at least in jail, Aaron Hernandez can continue being a receiving tight end. :oh:

Melange
Jun 30th, 2013, 05:57 AM
BREAKING NEWS:

Aaron Hernandez is being investigated for the disappearance of Manti Te'os girlfriend

Mark Sanchez tried to return his jersey, but he fumbled the exchange and it was returned for a touchdown.

i tried to exchange a gerald wallace and humphries nets jersey.. they said theres no other jersey with comparable value so they gave me a sticker

Can I exchange my "19-0" sweatshirt?
- Mtombe in Uganda :hysteric:

Robert Kraft - "Mr. Putin, do you want to try on this #81 Hernandez jersey ?"
Putin - "Wow, I can kill somebody with this thing". /walks out.

"I'll take the jerseys. Ain't easy trying to keep 18 kids clothed."
-Antonio Cromartie

Aaron Hernandez, Ray Lewis, and OJ Simpson walk into a bar.............. Nobody walks out

People shouldn't put so much importance in sports memorabilia. -OJ Simpson

blancopersempre
Jul 1st, 2013, 01:28 AM
Next season will be Tebow's time.

Melange
Jul 12th, 2013, 02:36 AM
:hysteric:

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was arrested and accused of drunk driving Thursday in Nebraska while on probation for assaulting a police officer, the second New England player to get in serious legal trouble this summer.

I just traded my Hernandez jersey for a Dennard jersey.....WTF?

You could have killed somebody! -Aaron Hernandez

A noon article is probably gonna pop up ' Tebow tried to take Dennard's keys'

Bill Bellichek at next Patriot press conference, "doesn't anyone have a Tim Tebow question?

Putin is sending the ring back. Even he wants to distance himself from the Pats these days.

"Bill B. has clearly lost control of his Team" - Rex Ryan

"Where did everybody go?" - Tebow and Brady at training camp

I know why he was really arrested. - Jemele Hill

"I'd rather go to prison than play with Tebow" --Patriots motto