PDA

View Full Version : Berlin Travelling Tips

azmad_88
Sep 23rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Dear guys. Im planning to go to Berlin. But if i have a full day or two free, is there any suggestions where I can go for a day trip by bus or train to nearby city or country??

Hope you guys can suggest cheap excursions. Thank you very much!:);)

Soliloque
Sep 23rd, 2012, 03:59 PM
You have Potsdam that is just next to Berlin (like 25 kms). Very beautiful city with the park and palaces of Sanssouci where the kings of Prussia used to live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potsdam

azmad_88
Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
thanks..will consider it as well!

kwilliams
Sep 23rd, 2012, 05:47 PM
I concur about Potsdam. It's the best day trip from Berlin.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/keithmaguire/sets/72157629502106406/

NoppaNoppa
Sep 23rd, 2012, 06:01 PM
Dear guys. Im planning to go to Berlin. But if i have a full day or two free, is there any suggestions where I can go for a day trip by bus or train to nearby city or country??

Go to Auschwitch, Poland! Too heavy? That would be unmemorable. Anyways, free day gets you anywhere on Europe. Paris, even London. Nearby cities that I can fully recommend are Kobenhagen and Hamburg :wavey:

NAT
Sep 24th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Hi, Oswiecim (Auschwitz) is indeed worth seeing, but not too close to Berlin. I would suggest Szczecin, or Gorzow. Both Polish cities about 140km from Berlin. Less than 2 hrs travelling each way, and not very expensive. Szczecin is the bigger city, but Gorzow is ok too.

knoxt
Sep 24th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Go to Auschwitch, Poland! Too heavy? That would be unmemorable. Anyways, free day gets you anywhere on Europe. Paris, even London. Nearby cities that I can fully recommend are Kobenhagen and Hamburg :wavey:

Do the Third Reich tour if you are interested in Nazi history.

And also, if you can, go to Auschwitz. But that would involve flying to Krakow, which is 20 miles away from Auschwitz, since a day trip will be impossible to do from Berlin.

shap_half
Sep 24th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Denmark is not a plausible day trip from Berlin. And Copenhagan (and Hamburg) are larger cities that would make no sense to do in a day.

Anyway, I've heard of people doing overnights in Dresden from Berlin. So that could be fun. But in general Potsdam seems to be the most popular day trip option from Berlin.

Personally, I love Berlin and would just stay there.

azmad_88
Sep 24th, 2012, 10:11 AM
THanks for all those suggestion. Would definately be going to Poland for a day.

Ive just found out i have an extra two days. And was thinking of travelling to another city, and go back home from there. Maybe via a budget flight or bus. Any suggestion which city should i go from Berlin. Rome?? anything

Mary Cherry.
Sep 24th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Denmark is not a plausible day trip from Berlin. And Copenhagan (and Hamburg) are larger cities that would make no sense to do in a day.

Anyway, I've heard of people doing overnights in Dresden from Berlin. So that could be fun. But in general Potsdam seems to be the most popular day trip option from Berlin.

Personally, I love Berlin and would just stay there.

This, this and this. In fact, I'd recommend booking another holiday just for Hamburg.

Mynarco
Sep 24th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Day trip to Poland? Seriously?

I didn't go to Potsdam :sobbing:

Bartosh
Sep 24th, 2012, 02:15 PM
THanks for all those suggestion. Would definately be going to Poland for a day.

Ive just found out i have an extra two days. And was thinking of travelling to another city, and go back home from there. Maybe via a budget flight or bus. Any suggestion which city should i go from Berlin. Rome?? anything

Poznań is just 3 hours away from Berlin by train and it's one of the biggest cities in Poland, fully recommended for a day trip :)

http://www.wypozyczauto.pl/images/Wypoyczalnia_samochodw_Pozna_htm_5d901fd1.jpg
http://poznan.culturowo.pl/static/places/5226/stary_rynek_poznan.jpg
http://www.pascal.pl/baza/polska/wielkopolskie/01/poznan_fara_zand.jpg
http://www.blooms-hostel.pl/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/z10342524XZ-perspektywy-trykajacych-sie-koziolkow-Poznan-wyglada.jpg
http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/5/4524/z4524825X.jpg
http://www.polskiekrajobrazy.pl/images/stories/big/17022Kalisz_Poznan_Halszki_ShiftN.jpg
http://img.national-geographic.pl/images/1005/pics/Stary_Rynek_Poznan_ad3731b3ad.jpg

:)

Mynarco
Sep 24th, 2012, 02:18 PM
but 6 hours solely on transport is too much for a day trip. I would rather go there separately. Or stay there for a night or two

Bartosh
Sep 24th, 2012, 02:23 PM
You can arrive in Poznan at 09:26am and leave at 8:21 or 9:21pm so it's not that bad ;) Old town is just 10 minutes away by bus from train station so you have a whole day for whatever you want :)

ps and the trip Berlin-Poznan actually takes 2h40 minutes :p

azmad_88
Sep 24th, 2012, 02:40 PM
Any tips of travelling to Rome or Amsterdam after Berlin? Bus/Train/Flight?

Mixal
Sep 24th, 2012, 04:17 PM

I hope you are not from Europe :help:

azdaja
Sep 24th, 2012, 04:29 PM
Any tips of travelling to Rome or Amsterdam after Berlin? Bus/Train/Flight?
flight is the only reasonable option for that. i wouldn't recommend it since you will waste half a day or more on it. you could go to vienna from berlin by an overnight train. you would leave berlin late in the evening and arrive to vienna early in the morning, city centre to city centre. i would definitely recommend looking into which places you can reach from berlin by an overnight train since you save a lot of time by sleeping while travelling. other than that you can also go to prague but you will lose many hours no matter how you go.

i would also say dresden is alo an option for a day trip from berlin if you get up early and return late.

knoxt
Sep 25th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Overnight train. It will save you $$$ rather than flying.

Also, not sure why you want to do a day trip in Poland. I would recommend setting two days aside. Go to Auschwitz if you can.

Kim's_fan_4ever
Sep 25th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Well, Berlin is definitely not my favourite city, to me it's pretty boring, but that's me. I was there 4 years ago and aside from the obvious tourist choices, we had some underground tour, which we found very interesting, so if you're a bit into history, you could do that. I revisited Berlin a couple of weeks to go, we were supposed to go to Potsdam but we stayed there and went to the zoo. It's a very big object and also pretty nice to visit :lol:

But if you want a one day trip then go to Potsdam, from what I've seen it's nice.
I don't know what's so cool about Dresden, I saw everything in two hours :shrug: I mean, it's nice but there are better place to see :shrug: Maybe Leipzig?

Poznan, as somebody said, is also nice :) Death @ Szczecin and Gorzow.

If you want to take a flight, then going to Rome for one day is pointless, this city needs at least 3 days.
As for Amsterdam, I only hear opinions, that it's not a nice city and the only reason to go there is to visit the famous coffee shops.

So, my vote goes to Potsdam, it's really like 20-30minutes by S-Bahn.

Btw. Deutsche Bahn has a lot of special tickets offers and depending on which day you travel and with how many people you can save a lot of money :)

i would also say dresden is alo an option for a day trip from berlin if you get up early and return late.

Nah, it's just a 2h trip :) no need for "early" and "late" :lol:

azdaja
Sep 25th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Nah, it's just a 2h trip :) no need for "early" and "late" :lol:
it depends. i know dresden is not far from berlin but i also think dresden can keep you busy for longer than just 2 hours ;) plus wasting precious 4 hours of your short trip for just a 2 hours visit would be, well, a waste of time.

GrandMartha
Sep 26th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Poland has only two cities that are worth seeing: Krakow i Danzig. Otherwise don't waste your time going to Poland.

Mixal
Sep 26th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Poland has only two cities that are worth seeing: Krakow i Danzig. Otherwise don't waste your time going to Poland.

Are you Russian?

azmad_88
Sep 30th, 2012, 12:35 AM
Thanks everyone!

Dave.
Sep 30th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Poznań is just 3 hours away from Berlin by train and it's one of the biggest cities in Poland, fully recommended for a day trip :)

:)

Thank you, looks amazing. :hearts: I am in Poland the first week of November and was looking for places to add to the trip, definitely considering Poznań now.

Any more recommendations? :p

Sam L
Oct 1st, 2012, 12:02 AM

I'd love to go to Krakow next time I'm in Europe. These are the places I haven't been that I want to go: Athens (Greece in general), Madrid, Stockholm and Krakow. Yeah a bit all over the place.