PDA

View Full Version : How was your first time ... flying?

Mistress of Evil
Sep 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Gosh, so obviously I was months away from the menopause but yay got my flying cherry popped right before it actually took place.

The taking-off was just ecstatic, definitely the best part of it. The whole other part was like meh; nothing really happened bar a minor turbulence towards the end. I was not particularly nervous and didn't get a panic attack while in the air neither. So share your experience?

Super Dave
Sep 18th, 2012, 07:38 PM
I've flown about 35 times, roughly. I don't remember the first one.

I do NOT like takeoffs. Everything else is fine as long as there isn't major turbulence. I don't like the "deafness" you get when coming down and when the ears pop, it's a welcome relief.

How old are you, Svetlio?

Mikey.
Sep 18th, 2012, 08:06 PM
My first time flying (that I have any recollection of) was pretty boring as you would probably expect. Not to mention painful since I am a giant and airline companies don't really cater for the average Goliath. :( It was a budget flight from Sydney to Fiji on this small Virgin Pacific airplane. TBH I was freaking out a little at take off because I'm a big worrier, I worry about just about everything so this was no different. But once we were up in the air I was fine and as I said it was just boring. :tears:

I guess most of these stories will sound exactly the same, though I wonder if anyone on TF has survived a plane crash or something! That could liven this thread up a little. :lol:

Julian.
Sep 18th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I was so excited and in awe :spit: That was like almost 20 years ago though when I was 4 or 5. A flight from Perth to Bali :lol:

delicatecutter
Sep 18th, 2012, 08:33 PM
I wasn't really scared but I was very excited! This was May 2000. If I flew now, I would be a nervous wreck and would need need serious meds and/or alcohol to even get on a plane.

GoofyDuck
Sep 18th, 2012, 08:40 PM
My first time flying I can't remember because I was too little but I know it was with Iberia :p

flying and taking off gets me excited everytime though. Once you're in the air it can get boring unless you have PTV's or get some turbulence :lol:

Last time I flew I filmed during take-off, I still watch it back now and then. :D

KournikovaFan91
Sep 18th, 2012, 08:46 PM
I was like 8 months old going to Amsterdam so don't remember and have flown maybe 2-3 times a year since. Last year was a particularly active flying year for me.

I love flying, as I kid I wanted to be a flight attendant (gay alert I know) and occasionally I still consider it.

saint2
Sep 18th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Crappy, didn't liked it. Every time I have a choice between travelling by ship and by plane, I choose ship.

ptkten
Sep 18th, 2012, 09:25 PM
It doesn't scare me at all and from what I recall I don't think it ever did. I don't get excited about it either though, I sort of look at it as a necessary evil because I love traveling. I kind of like the entertainment things they have, some of these flights have like 80 movies now so I get to catch up on some ones that I've missed and I don't mind the food as much as most people do. I have to be on the aisle seat though, I hate being in the middle on a long flight!

Sammo
Sep 18th, 2012, 09:56 PM
It was just 2 years ago, I was 16. I was a bit nervous with the take-off and a baby was crying and, well, just a bit nervous, apart from that, everything was fine. Although I discovered I have a... small phobia to flying at night :o Second time flying (this year, to Paris) I enjoyed it a lot, you know, listening to lounge music, jazz, funky jazz, while looking at the clouds below you, it really is a great experience ;)

nevetssllim
Sep 18th, 2012, 09:57 PM
I remember my 45-minute flight from Plymouth to Jersey (:o :o :o) was delayed by about six hours (felt like six days seeing as I was about 5-6yo) so yeah, wasn't great on any level. :p

edificio
Sep 18th, 2012, 10:09 PM
I was 8 months old, so I don't remember. Probably my first memory of flying was when I was three years old, and it is vague. As a more cognizant human, I'd say I don't like takeoffs/landings and the ear popping sensation. Also, when I was a bit older child, upon landing, I always felt like my stomach was still up in the air. Now I hate the TSA, so prefer not to if possible. I loathe flying in small prop planes, as I feel it is more likely to crash.

Blu€
Sep 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
I can't remember, I live on a small island so I have to take planes all the time. So far nothing major, but between islands, planes are pretty small and if the weather is bad.... oh boy, :lol: it feels like it's going to crash any minute. What I do remember is that when I was little, I couldn't eat or drink anything because I'd puke. Now I can tolerate food much better.
I'm flying out on Friday and Saturday, fingers crossed. I'm flying Ryanair despite all the bad press lately :lol: I hope they prove them wrong :p

flareon
Sep 18th, 2012, 10:49 PM
My first time was awful I was about 9 and My ears would not pop so I was in a lot of pain, 2nd time was amazing apart from the women who decided to take a crap everywhere in the bathroom, except for in the toilet.

delicatecutter
Sep 18th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Also on the flight back home I was sitting to a really cute guy and when I got up to get off the plane, everything fell out of my carry-on bag I was holding. So embarrassing. :o

Sean.
Sep 18th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Don't remember, I love flying though. :cheer:

Julian.
Sep 18th, 2012, 10:57 PM
One more thing, I think farting should officially be banned from the plane during the flight. We have nowhere to run away :sobbing:

flareon
Sep 18th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I enjoyed the last time but I am tall and it gets uncomfortable....

delicatecutter
Sep 18th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Also I had bottomed for the first time the night before my flight back home so I was a little *uncomfortable* to say the least. :tears:

shap_half
Sep 19th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I'm not a fan of flying at all, but I do it all the time. The first time I flew I was 11, and it was pretty uneventful, because I was moving to the US, and most of my thoughts really revolved around that.

I'm ok now. (I still hate it, but I've given up wasting time worrying.) But I used to be a disaster. I'm still pretty much a horror to be at the airport though as I find that everyone is an idiot traveler. Seriously, sir? You're in America. Why did you decide to get in this security line with four layers and a tiara, you dumbass.

WowWow
Sep 19th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I don't remember.

The take off is orgasmic always.

Tripp
Sep 19th, 2012, 12:30 AM
I flew in a tin plane for a local Argentinian Airlines flight from Buenos Aires to Mendoza. I was scared out of my mind, not because of the flight itself, but because the plane looked like it wouldn't make it out of the airport.

Cajka
Sep 19th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I traveled by Jat Airways (Serbian company) and it was awful. The plane was very old it was so claustrophobic inside of that, I wanted to scream when I came in. The flight itself was fine, but I don't think I'll fly by Jat ever again.

Mary Cherry.
Sep 19th, 2012, 12:40 AM
Flying is awesome because it means you're out of the airport. Airports are the closest thing to hell on earth.

swissmr
Sep 19th, 2012, 01:34 AM
I despise flying and actually seem to get more scared with each flight I go on :lol: I'm never fully convinced I won't die until the plane has safely landed :tape:

MH0861
Sep 19th, 2012, 02:38 AM
I despise flying and actually seem to get more scared with each flight I go on :lol: I'm never fully convinced I won't die until the plane has safely landed :tape:

Me too :lol: I thought 18 hours of flying to India would do the trick but it really has gone further downhill since then :o :lol:

Cajka
Sep 19th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Me too :lol: I thought 18 hours of flying to India would do the trick but it really has gone further downhill since then :o :lol:

Was it really so scary? I want to go to Brazil (maybe even next year :scared:), but the thought of spending so much time in a plane scares me so much.

delicatecutter
Sep 19th, 2012, 03:00 AM
Was it really so scary? I want to go to Brazil (maybe even next year :scared:), but the thought of spending so much time in a plane scares me so much.

Ever since I heard about the increased chances of getting a pulmonary embolism I am terrified to go on a flight that long. :scared:

Cajka
Sep 19th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Ever since I heard about the increased chances of getting a pulmonary embolism I am terrified to go on a flight that long. :scared:

I thought that those chances are increased only if you travel frequently? :unsure:

But, you know, I'm a smoker and smoking increases the chances of getting................ So, I shouldn't really worry about long flights. I don't even think that I'm gonna die in a plane crash. I'm more scared that my anxiety attacks are gonna be so severe that I'll die from heart attack. :crying2:

SilverPersian
Sep 19th, 2012, 04:01 AM
I may or may not have pooped all over my seat. Luckily I was too young to remember it now :unsure:

shap_half
Sep 19th, 2012, 04:10 AM
I've just told myself to stop worrying, because once you're in your seat, there's nothing you can do that's going to change what will happen to a million ton machine for the next however many hours...

PhilePhile
Sep 19th, 2012, 04:31 AM
I've flown about 35 times, roughly. I don't remember the first one.

I do NOT like takeoffs. Everything else is fine as long as there isn't major turbulence. I don't like the "deafness" you get when coming down and when the ears pop, it's a welcome relief.

How old are you, Svetlio?

Especially when the pilot is showing off to the passengers :lol: . Here, a steep takeoff is follow by a hard bank to the left leaving Las Vegas (not my video but what I experienced).

XphuRJsOc2g

Shivank17
Sep 19th, 2012, 04:52 AM
I don't remember the first time. But I don't like take-offs, since I have acrophobia. Rest all, I pretty much love flying.

stromatolite
Sep 19th, 2012, 06:46 AM
My only memory of my first ever flight (Sydney-Auckland, too long ago) was that I spent most of the flight with the audio headphones upside down. At the time I had a walkman with headphones that rested on the top of the head with the speakers drooping down to the ears and I thought the ones in the plane worked the same way.:oh:

Mikey.
Sep 19th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Flying is awesome because it means you're out of the airport. Airports are the closest thing to hell on earth.

:lol: Yes, I concur!

Hayato
Sep 19th, 2012, 09:17 AM
I've been on well over 100 flights, in every continent bar Antarctica, though I still don't particularly enjoy flying :p

Just Do It
Sep 19th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I remember my 45-minute flight from Plymouth to Jersey (:o :o :o) was delayed by about six hours (felt like six days seeing as I was about 5-6yo) so yeah, wasn't great on any level. :p

:haha:

I was 7 and it was a 45min flight from Tivat to Belgrade, for some reason I remember boarding like it was yesterday, I was excited.

Shivank17
Sep 19th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I once remember a 1 and a half hour Mumbai-Delhi flight, 5-6 years ago, getting delayed by 7 hours and I had to wait at the airport. :lol: Since then I know every inch of the Mumbai domestic airport. :lol:

flareon
Sep 19th, 2012, 11:18 AM

This so much I despise Airports.

I went to Johburg last year 11 hours, it was ok just get up every hour or so and stroll :) I slept most of the time as well as it was a night flight.

I never knew that :scared:

KournikovaFan91
Sep 19th, 2012, 11:33 AM

Honestly Ultra-long haul isn't that bad, I did Dublin-Dubai-Auckland (28/29 hours) and yeah it takes away basically a day of your life in the air but I find it fine. Actually in some ways long haul flying is a lot better than short haul.

Like short haul airlines are shit. Like from Dublin you can fly to Tenerife with Ryanair or Dubai with Emirates, sure Dubai is maybe double the time but its still way more enjoyable.

Kon.
Sep 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM
My first flight was Athens-Paris.
I loved the take-off, the rest part was okay, nothing exciting. I spend my time eating, listening to music and looking out of the window like a good kid.

Mary Cherry.
Sep 19th, 2012, 11:59 AM

I think it can happen partly because you're sat in a tiny, cramped space for so long, the inactivity & whatnot. It's one of those highly unlikely things but there's plenty of things you can do to help prevent it anyway - get up & out of your seat often, stretch while you're in your seat, take plenty of fluids. They say to drink a litre of water for every hour you're in the air.

Who "they" is, I don't know.

Mateo Mathieu
Sep 19th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I don't like spending too long sitting on the seat :o Imagine myself travelling to Europe :scared:

Super Dave
Sep 19th, 2012, 01:42 PM
I think it can happen partly because you're sat in a tiny, cramped space for so long, the inactivity & whatnot. It's one of those highly unlikely things but there's plenty of things you can do to help prevent it anyway - get up & out of your seat often, stretch while you're in your seat, take plenty of fluids. They say to drink a litre of water for every hour you're in the air.

Who "they" is, I don't know.

You can "pump" your feet while you're sitting, also. I do that every once in awhile, even at my desk at work. Just point your toes up and down like you're pressing a lever with your foot.

I'd love to drink more in the air but they don't offer many drinks. On a 2 hour flight, you get a 6 ounce cup of something :rolleyes:

KournikovaFan91
Sep 19th, 2012, 01:59 PM
The only cases I've directly heard of a guy getting a pulmonary embolism was someone who took a sleeping pill for an Ultra-Long Haul flight and thus didn't move for the duration of the flight and picked up an embolism. He was fine though, it didn't kill him or anything.

Which is one reason why I avoid sleeping pills on long haul flights.

Sammo
Sep 19th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I've just told myself to stop worrying, because once you're in your seat, there's nothing you can do that's going to change what will happen to a million ton machine for the next however many hours...

You can always bring a parachute as your hand baggage :oh:

Blu€
Sep 19th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Like short haul airlines are shit. Like from Dublin you can fly to Tenerife with Ryanair or Dubai with Emirates, sure Dubai is maybe double the time but its still way more enjoyable.

Comparing Tenerife with Dubai, that's fair :rolls:

Shafanovic.
Sep 19th, 2012, 03:59 PM
The first time was when I was just 1 so I didn't remember that but the first that I remembered was when I was 10 coming back to Australia, take off was scary because I'm a scared kid (still am) but after that it's fine. I fall asleep best during take off actually, which is a good thing because I wake up whenever they served food :lol:

I love having 2 or more seats to myself which was the case flying back from Italy last week :) It was just comfortable and I slept like a baby.

Michalka
Sep 19th, 2012, 06:06 PM
was scared of flying originally...but i love the experience while being on a plane. it's contradictory, but its exactly how i feel whenever i fly...i remember during my first flight as a kid i kept on sweating furiously and grabbed the seat handles intensely when the plane was increasing its speed for takeoff :lol:

donellcarey
Sep 19th, 2012, 06:14 PM
My first time flying was when I was 7 and I basically threw up all over my dad:o

Now I've been flying all over the world for almost 100 times, totally get used to it. Here in Quito, because of its altitude, the take-offs and landings are SCARY (the wind is huge). But I've already got used to it.

azdaja
Sep 19th, 2012, 06:49 PM
my first flight was when i was like 5 and i don't remember much apart from being curious. then my next flight was when i finished school and i flied something like 50 times since. i never felt any discomfort, i have to say. the thing i like about flying is when i am sitting next to a window and the weather is fine i get to see the land underneath which is nice from the take off until the landing. i also like being in different planes. i remember my first flight to helsinki was funny because the plane (canadair jet) was so small, like a bus with wings :lol:

i hate everything else about flying, though, starting with airports (they are a part of flying). i prefer taking an overnight train to flying if the place i want to visit is not too far. some small airports are kinda fun, though, because they are the complete opposite of your airport experience. the smallest airport i've ever flied to was on the island of flores in the açores. i think they don't even have a landing and a take-off every day.

MH0861
Sep 20th, 2012, 12:06 AM

Most of it was OK, but going there halfway through when it was dark and everyone was sleeping it was non-stop turbulence for several hours (not anything crazy but really noticeable) :sad: I couldn't sleep, and all I could think about was how many more hours I had to go enduring this :lol:

Super Dave
Sep 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM
My stupidest experience in a plane was when I was flying to Los Angeles in the late '80s. It was not a good flight, and during an especially rough bout of turbulence, the stewardess announced in a really shaky voice, "Ladies and gentleman, we regret to inform you..................(long pause)................that drinks will no longer be served on this flight. Thank you!"

I thought she was going to say something horrible when she paused, and then got all cheery and finished her sentence. I felt like I was on a sitcom; no one else reacted and I sat there looking around, saying, "Didn't anyone just hear that?" :mad:

shap_half
Sep 20th, 2012, 03:47 PM
This thread has done nothing to ease my discomforts.

Sammo
Sep 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM
My stupidest experience in a plane was when I was flying to Los Angeles in the late '80s. It was not a good flight, and during an especially rough bout of turbulence, the stewardess announced in a really shaky voice, "Ladies and gentleman, we regret to inform you..................(long pause)................that drinks will no longer be served on this flight. Thank you!"

I thought she was going to say something horrible when she paused, and then got all cheery and finished her sentence. I felt like I was on a sitcom; no one else reacted and I sat there looking around, saying, "Didn't anyone just hear that?" :mad:

:lol: That's hilarious...

- Ladies and gentlmen... we regret to inform you....
-OH GOD THE PILOT AND CO-PILOT ARE BOTH DEAD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!

GoofyDuck
Sep 20th, 2012, 04:08 PM
This thread has done nothing to ease my discomforts.

hey, everyone here is still alive after their flights :lol:

McPie
Sep 20th, 2012, 04:31 PM
it hurt my ears :lol:

kwilliams
Sep 20th, 2012, 10:18 PM
:lol: I must have a filthy mind. I thought the first four or five posts were about losing your virginity. I thought people were being so creative with their euphemisms!! Then I started to think some posters weren't getting what the thread was really about...until the penny dropped and I realised how lecsivious

I can't remember the first few times I flew because I was so young but I remember the first time I experienced (bad) turbulence. It was seven or eight and on a flight to Portugal. As I remember it, it was some pretty bad turbulence. I was sitting with my sister and my parents were a few rows away with my brother but there was a nice man sitting beside us who reassured me and explained to me what caused the turbulence.

I've been on a million flights since then - some have been quite interesting. I've definitely experienced some rough landings. Every once in a while, when it's very windy landings in Dublin can be very shaky. I've seen people get quite agitated and heard people let out cries but I kind enjoy the ride because I know that pilots landing in Dublin know what they're doing.

I was on my first propeller plane this year though from Siem Reap to Ho Chi Minh. I was a bit unsure about that!

It's taken me years but I've gotten a bit better at being able to sleep on planes. Earlier this year I had to take a midnight flight from Hong Kong to Doha, have an 8 hour layover in Doha Airport (which is devoid of facilities) I landed just before 6am and paid for a visa just so I could take a quick tour of the city and then continue on to Athens for about 6 hrs. I slept for almost the entirety of the first flight and for an hour or two on the second.

I'm going to Istanbul next month. The direct flights were a bit expensive so I'm going through Amsterdam and the flights were only 300 euros!!

shap_half
Sep 20th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Istanbul is so amazing. I was trying to get in on a work trip there next month, too, but I don't think that's gonna be happening.

I flew to Istanbul earlier this year (February) during that patch when Europe was having some pretty severe frosts, and when we finally started on the European leg of the flight (I flew form New York), that plane could not sit still. I was trying my best not to start sobbing, and nothing could get my mind off it. Oy.

Super Dave
Sep 21st, 2012, 02:10 PM
During turbulence I just try to imagine that I'm in a vehicle on a bumpy road, not suspended in mid-air. :)

I also try to force my ass down into the seat because it helps to lower my center of gravity. I may even pick my feet up off the floor when I do it. Same thing as when I'm on a fast ride/rollercoaster. The movement doesn't bother me as much :lol:

WhoAmI?
Sep 21st, 2012, 06:36 PM
It was great. The take-off is certainly the most exciting part, so I prefer the window seat. I can't really stand it if people by the windows pull down the covers, so there's no way to see out. Makes me feel like I'm in some box.

Also, once I saw some person beside me pray before the take-off, it made me feel better, so I'm not worried about flying really. Besides, there's nothing I could do should something happen (odds are bigger to be in a car crash).

Longer flights are definitely more entertaining (depending on a person though, I guess). But if the plane is full there's really no room to stretch, because at one point the aisle is full of people standing up.

I like the airports too, there's a different vibe to it than say a port or a bus station does.

Morning Morgan
Sep 21st, 2012, 08:31 PM
What are these "flying" and "plane" things that you speak off?

The Dawntreader
Sep 21st, 2012, 11:51 PM
Flying is so dull. Like seriously. It's the safest form of travel I've ever participated in.

Sammo
Sep 22nd, 2012, 12:21 AM
Flying is so dull. Like seriously. It's the safest form of travel I've ever participated in.

I think that bus is even safer

kwilliams
Sep 29th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Istanbul is so amazing. I was trying to get in on a work trip there next month, too, but I don't think that's gonna be happening.

I flew to Istanbul earlier this year (February) during that patch when Europe was having some pretty severe frosts, and when we finally started on the European leg of the flight (I flew form New York), that plane could not sit still. I was trying my best not to start sobbing, and nothing could get my mind off it. Oy.

Yeah, I love it there. I went for a few days last August. I was the first person in the Hagia Sophia the morning that I visited. Had the whole place to myself for a few moments!! It was amazing!!

I'll probably be going to Ephesus/Efes this time too, which has been a long-held dream of mine :D Can't wait to strike that one of my list!!

Barrie_Dude
Sep 30th, 2012, 12:30 AM
First time flying was in 1972 from Detroit to Baltimore and back. I have since been on many different passenger jets, small 2 and 4 seaters. Amphibious planes and helicopters

Stamp Paid
Sep 30th, 2012, 01:15 AM
I don't remember, I was very young the first time I flew.
I always loved flying until I had a few consecutive bad flights 3 years ago. A flight from Miami to Rio was very turbulent, and I got a massive, throbbing headache for the last hour and a half of it. Then a few months later on a flight from Denver to Atlanta the plane lost altitude quickly during the landing, it was terrifying. Now I have somewhat of a phobia, particularly bad during takeoff. But I have to travel so much that I just deal. :lol:

Keegan
Sep 30th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I have been flying for the vast majority of my life so I don't remember when I first flew. I remember I used to love flying, and would fight my sister for the window seat constantly. As I've grown up I've developed a massive fear of flying, particularly when I'm on a smaller plane (A320/B737 etc) and I've actually cried during turbulence before. On larger jets I'm generally okay, particularly by myself. On smaller planes though I hate flying. When I flew around India (Delhi-Bangalore, Bangalore-Hyderabad, Hyderabad-Bangalore, Chennai-Mumbai) the turbulence was so bad and scary, particularly over the Deccan Plateau and coming into land in Mumbai where the plane just kept dropping instead of descending slowly. Naturally, I freaked out, haha. Oddly, I'm better on long haul flights, no idea why.

Barrie_Dude
Sep 30th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Wow! I feel safer in smaller planes and by smaller I mean little 2 and 4 seaters!