PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning of "Expensive Cities"

Geisha
Sep 18th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I am having trouble understanding why people say: "Oh, don't move there. It's sooo expensive to live there" - I understand cost of living in some cities is more than in other cities, but are people not getting paid pretty much the equivalent everywhere? And doesn't the type of currency even it out, anyways?

My brother moved to Sydney four months ago and he said McDonald's there costs him like $10 or $11 for a combo. But he also gets paid $5 more per hour than he did here.

I'm just confused, so if anyone has clarification...

Thanks ;)

King Halep
Sep 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM
McDonald's combo is under A$8, not that I would eat that junk. Rather have Burger King for same price, and you can get KFC combo for $6. If you know the right places, you can get a meal for under $9.

Geisha
Sep 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM
McDonald's combo is under A$8, not that I would eat that junk. Rather have Burger King for same price, and you can get KFC combo for $6. If you know the right places, you can get a meal for under $9.

Okay. That adds to my point then. Nothing is that much more expensive and everyone seems to be getting paid as much or better.

The 2nd Law
Sep 18th, 2012, 02:24 PM
I can't really be sure but here is an Australian perspective: I live in Melbourne which is rated as the world's most liveable city according to the economist magazine this year (a load of shit really but let's not go there :p). Large multi-national corporations use these rankings to assess how much they need to compensate their workers for sending them to such places. So for example, Melbourne is quite attractive to such companies because they can effectively justify paying their workers less to relocate there because it is the world's most liveable city. Sydney always ranks lower than most Australian cities on these polls because of the "cost of living" factor.

I don't know exactly what makes Sydney more expensive though, but it's probably property/rent. Australia in general is quite expensive though, we have some of the highest electricity prices in the world, and many of my friends have noted that food is considerably more expensive here than in many other places.

I think you are right about people being paid more in cities like Sydney - this ties back to the point I was making about the ranking system. I know that in the AFL (Australian Football League) players are generally paid more to go to a Sydney team because of the cost of living factor.

This is actually a really interesting topic, I study urban planning so I'm fascinated by this stuff. I'd be interested to hear about the experiences any of you guys have, hopefully some of you are from Moscow or London :p

King Halep
Sep 18th, 2012, 02:37 PM
You can say that a city is "expensive" but it all depends on how much you want to keep your costs down. Rent and transport can be kept to an affordable level if you dont have to live in a trendy inner city location and go out getting wasted every weekend. Its all about lifestyle.

Geisha
Sep 18th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I can't really be sure but here is an Australian perspective: I live in Melbourne which is rated as the world's most liveable city according to the economist magazine this year (a load of shit really but let's not go there :p). Large multi-national corporations use these rankings to assess how much they need to compensate their workers for sending them to such places. So for example, Melbourne is quite attractive to such companies because they can effectively justify paying their workers less to relocate there because it is the world's most liveable city. Sydney always ranks lower than most Australian cities on these polls because of the "cost of living" factor.

I don't know exactly what makes Sydney more expensive though, but it's probably property/rent. Australia in general is quite expensive though, we have some of the highest electricity prices in the world, and many of my friends have noted that food is considerably more expensive here than in many other places.

I think you are right about people being paid more in cities like Sydney - this ties back to the point I was making about the ranking system. I know that in the AFL (Australian Football League) players are generally paid more to go to a Sydney team because of the cost of living factor.

This is actually a really interesting topic, I study urban planning so I'm fascinated by this stuff. I'd be interested to hear about the experiences any of you guys have, hopefully some of you are from Moscow or London :p

Actually, I'm planning to move to London in approximately six months. My friends gasped and said it was so expensive. I was left confused. Thanks for the post.