PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell is Uncle Toby anyway?

geoepee
Nov 30th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Is it just me or does the name 'Uncle Toby's Hardcourts' sound a little too lax to be the name of an international tennis tournament? It sounds like the players are actually playing in 'Uncle Toby's' backyard. http://216.40.249.192/mysmilies/cwm/cwm/face85.gif

What type of company is Uncle Toby's? Is it a company at all?

Can any Australians help me out?

~RedRose~
Nov 30th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Uncle Tobeys make food products ... like porridge and ... im not sure wat else ... but it is a food company!!

~|Naomi|~
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:30 AM
They also make Muesli bars!!!!!!

Joseosu19
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:49 AM
Sound's like a pancake house.

bwguy
Dec 1st, 2002, 01:05 AM
OK, is this going to be one of those never-ending threads that keeps answering one question, only to provoke another? Because now that I know a little bit about Uncle Toby, I want to know what the hell are Muesli bars? Must be good stuff if they warrant 6 exclamation points from kim&lleytonrule. ;)

And just to be certain, is porridge soup or something a little different?

Thanks.........

Jetta
Dec 1st, 2002, 01:13 AM
oh so Uncle Toby is like the Aunt Jemima of Australia? :o

Rasha
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:04 AM
Uncle Toby makes some of the nicest snack foods in Australasia, Im eating one of his Museli Bars at the moment, and it is simply devine.

http://www.femail.com.au/img/uncle-t01.jpg
http://www.lavasurfer.com/weeties.gif

Museli Bars are mainly a "Health Bar" filled with all sorts of Vitamins and produce, Most have Dried Fruit in them that a mixed with Wheats, Barley, Oats and they taste nice, Toasted Museli is better though.

bwguy
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:38 AM
Thanks, Rasha. Photo and everything! -- OK, so the next obvious question is "What (or where?) in the hell is Australasia?" That's like a combination of Australia and Asia, huh? Or did you just make that up to see if I'd keep asking questions?-- If it weren't the off-season, I wouldn't be learning all of this.

~RedRose~
Dec 1st, 2002, 03:36 AM
yep ... Australiasia is The Pacific region of Australia & Asia ect ...

geoepee
Dec 1st, 2002, 04:35 AM
thanks guys for the info :)

Experimentee
Dec 1st, 2002, 11:01 AM
So what do Americans call muesli bars? (thought i'd ask another question to keep this going :P)

bwguy
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:14 PM
Livestock feed.

bwguy
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:17 PM
But back to Uncle Tobys... Is that company named for a real person or is he just some ad agency creation like Betty Crocker?

TS
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:47 PM
So much ignorance in this thread, sheesh :rolleyes: ;)

TS
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:48 PM
I love the muesli bars by the way ;)

TS
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by bwguy
But back to Uncle Tobys... Is that company named for a real person or is he just some ad agency creation like Betty Crocker?

Ive never really bothered to find out, as its never been a pressing issue for me ;)

bwguy
Dec 1st, 2002, 12:55 PM
I can't imagine sleeping tonight without knowing. Hey, and don't knock ignorance. A lot of us find it blissful.

bwguy
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:45 PM
TS, by the way, just for you I posted a new Iva article over in her forum.

spiceboy
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:51 PM
That's what I call a glamour *ehem ehem*

TS
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:52 PM
Which Ive just seen ;)

Thank you!!!!!

TS
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:54 PM
Oh and bwguy....dont knock Livestock feed....some of us find it blissful :p

bwguy
Dec 1st, 2002, 02:59 PM
Gotta try some of that. Moooooooo! ;)

AleOrtu
Dec 1st, 2002, 11:48 PM
Mmhhhhhh.....
this thread is getting me HUNGRY:p :D :p

Rasha
Dec 1st, 2002, 11:52 PM
Australiasia is simply a continent in the South West Pacific, it also is formely known as Oceania and also Australia (Some like to cool it a Continent itself, but also includes, Paupa New Guinea, NewZealand, and the South Pacific Island ie: CookIslands, Fiji, Samoa and various other Islands) It consists of 3 based ethnic Island Types, Polynesia (Ie NewZealand, Cook Islands, Tahiti) Melanesia (Vanuati, Solomon Islands) and Micronesia (Which consists of Micronesia itself)

I have found a map of the whole Australasia, I hope you can atleast find it on a globe ;) ;)

http://www.ibrc.bschool.ukans.edu/country_resources/austral/Australasia%20Map.jpg

~|Naomi|~
Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:10 AM
Australia is a continent by itself. new Zealand is not part of Australia:eek:

TS
Dec 2nd, 2002, 02:58 AM
Yes Australia is both a country and a continent on its own, but I think Rasha was just providing info on what is said to constitute "Australasia"...which, I have to admit, has always confused me. I dont think 'Australasia' is a continent, the way I was always taught was that this country (Australia) is a continent on its own as it is one big mass of land :confused: Any geography majors in here? :o

Rasha
Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:40 AM
sorry, I may have confused some people with my wording, NewZealand is a part of a continent called Oceania, now from the 1998 Consice Atlas, this also Includes Papua New Guinea, Australia, Newzealand and the Island Nations of the South Pacific Regions.

Australasia I don't exactly know how you could use this word, but my best geuss is that Australians like to use this word as just Australia being it's own Continent, or a word specificly used for the Continent of only just Australia.

Most people realise as Australia just being its own continent, as the other countries that are also part of the continent are small and people mainly forget/don't realise that these are also part of Oceiana.

So if you are going to put Australia in term of a continent, you must also realise that other Republics/Monarchs in the region are also in the continent.

Beat
Dec 2nd, 2002, 10:05 AM
back to the initial question: yes, " Uncle Tobys Hardcourts" does indeed sound a litlle bit, well, shall we say, unglamorous... ;)

lmoon1
Dec 2nd, 2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Experimentee
So what do Americans call muesli bars? (thought i'd ask another question to keep this going :P)

I think they are like Kellogs Nutra Grain Bars:wavey: !

MartianJoeyWinson
Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:53 AM
NutraGrain bars are the greatest invention known to man. Other than beer, although if beer was made in bar form, which is nearly impossible, then that would be the greatest invention.

Rasha
Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:20 AM
You can always use alcahol instead of Olive Oils etc :)

tennisIlove09
Dec 4th, 2002, 07:35 AM
I don't like the name. It sounds a little weird. :o

Rasha
Dec 5th, 2002, 06:16 AM
It's quite an old Brand, Now it's only starting to go International .

King Aaron
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:15 PM
I love Muesli bars!!!!!! :drool: :lick: :)

The name does sound weird but we'll get used to it! ;)

Kirt12255
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:46 PM
To the Original Question.

Uncle Toby's is a company that continually support sport in this country (mainly swimming) and especially junior development.

The tournament in question was originally called the "Danone Womens Hardcourts" which is a yoghurt company...guess cereals and muesli bars are better than mouldy milkLOL

Kirt12255
Dec 5th, 2002, 01:49 PM
Although they do have yoghurt covered muesli bars...perhaps they could put resources together and make it a higher tier event :-)

Freefall
Dec 5th, 2002, 06:16 PM
I'm sure the other countries would have to be on the same Continental shelf as Australia, to be part of the Australian continent. Being close by doesn't mean a thing. Look at an Ocean floor map & that should tell you if they're part of it or not. Many of those could be part of Asia or just islands.

Rasha
Dec 6th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Science or Continental Shelfs have nothing to do with it being a continent it self, omg that must mean the Chatam Islands are a continent it self? The Continent is known is Oceana and also supports NewZealand and South Pacific Islands

~|Naomi|~
Dec 7th, 2002, 02:09 AM
I always thought Australia was its own continent, at least that was what I was always taught in school

Rachel
Dec 26th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Kirt12255
To the Original Question.

Uncle Toby's is a company that continually support sport in this country (mainly swimming) and especially junior development.

And some good bloody swimmers at that! :D ;)

I love their ad's too ;)

kick it to me!! :p

BK4ever
Dec 26th, 2002, 06:49 AM
and what about the draw