PDA

View Full Version : WOW !!! - Single Molecule Images: IBM Scientists Capture Closest Photographs Showing

Pureracket
Sep 15th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Single Molecule Images: IBM Scientists Capture Closest Photographs Showing Chemical Bonds (PHOTOS)
The Huffington Post | By Sara Gates
Posted: 09/15/2012 12:55 am Updated: 09/15/2012 11:12 am

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/773297/thumbs/o-IBM-SINGLE-MOLECULE-CHEMICAL-BONDS-570.jpg?6

<snip>

A team of IBM scientists--known for capturing the first close-up image of a single molecule in 2009--now have revealed incredibly detailed microscopic images that show the individual chemical bonds between atoms.

How did they get such remarkable close-ups? Using an atomic force microscope, the scientists were able to capture two images, using two different contrast mechanisms. These images not only illustrate the structure of individual nanographene molecules but also how atoms are bound together.

The research, which published in the Sept. 14 issue of Science magazine, is significant in furthering the study of graphene devices, which could potentially be used to replace existing technologies like microchips. The findings may also contribute to research tracking the paths of electrons during chemical reactions.

"We found two different contrast mechanisms to distinguish bonds. The first one is based on small differences in the force measured above the bonds," IBM scientist Leo Gross said in a written statement. "The second contrast mechanism really came as a surprise: Bonds appeared with different lengths in AFM measurements. With the help of ab initio calculations we found that the tilting of the carbon monoxide molecule at the tip apex is the cause of this contrast."

The multi-colored images show the length of the atomic bonds along with the density of electrons --so darker spots reveal the densest part of the molecule. Pairing length and density together, scientists are able to determine the types of bonds and what chemical reactions are taking place within the molecule.

<snip>

More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/15/single-molecule-images-ibm-chemical-bonds_n_1884818.html

Sean.
Sep 16th, 2012, 12:20 AM
That's incredible. I'm not 100% sure what's what in the photo but I get what it's showing. :speakles:

edificio
Sep 16th, 2012, 03:44 AM
If you stare at it too long, it seems to be moving.

M2k
Sep 16th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Inspiring!

kwilliams
Sep 16th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Amazing!

Sammo
Sep 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Gorgeous.

BARBIE
Sep 16th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Wow :speakles: :speakles: :speakles:

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 16th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Looks like a beehive to me.:oh:

pov
Sep 16th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Pretty, and an interesting development in scanning, but IMO not quite what the wonk "scientists" are making it out to be. As is common nowadays they draw conclusions based on prior assumptions.

Srodgers
Sep 16th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Thats sweet! :speakles: