PDA

View Full Version : Gawker: Pedophiles Born that Way, Deserve Sympathy

Williamsser
Sep 11th, 2012, 10:58 PM
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/09/08/gawker-editor-pedophilia-sexual-orientation-and-illness-deserving-pub

The following headline actually appeared at Gawker Friday: "Born This Way: Sympathy and Science for Those Who Want to Have Sex with Children."

The article, written by Gawker West Coast editor Cord Jefferson, was even worse (emphasis added throughout):

In an ABC News article from 2003, a corrections officer from Los Angeles told reporter Michael S. James that imprisoned pedophiles "usually don't make it" without protective custody. Leslie Walker, a prisoner's rights activist, told James, "[Child sex offenders] are at risk of being murdered, having their food taken, having their cells defecated and urinated in. Their life is truly a living hell." Good, most people will say. But there is a growing number of researchers, many of them out of Canada, whose work suggests that pedophilia is an illness deserving of the public's sympathy the way any brain disorder is. Some of the scientists say pedophilia is a sexual orientation, meaning that it's unchangeable, regardless of how much jail time or beatings or therapy someone is dealt. Others have reason to believe that pedophiles are born that way, and that some of them will suffer through entire lives without hurting a single child. If this research proves to be correct, it should help shape both our public policy and our public attitude, so that we're protecting kids while also protecting pedophiles from angry mobs, cellmates, and themselves.

That bears repeating: "[P]edophilia is an illness deserving of the public's sympathy...pedophilia is a sexual orientation."

Scary stuff. But it got worse:

Currently, there is no significant longitudinal evidence that pedophiles can be made to not be attracted to children, and thus it can be defined as their orientation. And if pedophilia is a sexual orientation, that also means it's futile to send pedophiles to prison in an effort to alter their attractions. Doing so is akin to sending a homosexual child off to a religious-based institution that claims it can "pray the gay away."

Yes, the article really said "it's futile to send pedophiles to prison in an effort to alter their attractions."

But there was still more:

Imagine a world in which admitting your attraction to busty women or tall men led to alienation, jail time, or your murder. Older gay men can probably remember such an era, but nowadays most sexual appetites have been mainstreamed to the point of banality. Pedophiles, for obvious reasons, don't enjoy the same kind of tolerance, and thus it seems as if they may be locked forever in a sexual prison from the moment they're born.

Isn't it a shame that pedophiles "don't enjoy the same kind of tolerance?"

But the worst was still yet to come:

The old adage is that the true mark of a society is how it treats the weakest in its ranks. Blacks, women, Latinos, gays and lesbians, and others are still in no way on wholly equal footing in America. But they're also not nearly as lowly and cursed as men attracted to children. One imagines that if Jesus ever came to Earth, he'd embrace the poor, the blind, the lepers, and, yes, the pedophiles.

Wigglytuff
Sep 11th, 2012, 11:13 PM
sick. what about the children they molest? what do they get? a lump of coal. bastards.

and there is nothing futile about sending them to prison because thats time they dont spend molesting children (which the author (jefferson) doesnt seem give a shit about)

in fact sentences for all sexual crimes need to be double or tripled because they are far too light.

JJ Expres
Sep 11th, 2012, 11:35 PM
i can have sympathy for pedophiles who haven't molested anyone , but if you sexually abuse a child, that's just wrong, you probably fucked up some1 life and you just deserve to go to prison...

*JR*
Sep 12th, 2012, 10:46 PM
i can have sympathy for pedophiles who haven't molested anyone , but if you sexually abuse a child, that's just wrong, you probably fucked up some1 life and you just deserve to go to prison...

While actual predators clearly deserve real jail time, should not someone "caught in time" (lets say cruising the internet for kids, but who hasn't acted on the urges yet) be given the option of "chemical castration"? (Long-acting drugs that suppress sex drive and/or potency).

Do we really need ppl in prison as "preventive detention", or to punish them for "just looking"? :confused: And B4 someone brings up the incarceration of hard drug users, I've long said that the US "War on Drugs" has failed, and made violent drug wars profitable for the winners among smugglers and dealers.

Sgt.Timmykinz
Sep 12th, 2012, 11:11 PM
While actual predators clearly deserve real jail time, should not someone "caught in time" (lets say cruising the internet for kids, but who hasn't acted on the urges yet) be given the option of "chemical castration"? (Long-acting drugs that suppress sex drive and/or potency).

Do we really need ppl in prison as "preventive detention", or to punish them for "just looking"? :confused: And B4 someone brings up the incarceration of hard drug users, I've long said that the US "War on Drugs" has failed, and made violent drug wars profitable for the winners among smugglers and dealers.

Can anyone be chemically castrated or just pedophiles?

Nicolás89
Sep 12th, 2012, 11:56 PM
IDK if sympathy but people who have these urges but haven't molested anyone should be given an opportunity. Celibacy, chemical castration, are all options.

I, however, am very sympathetic for pedophiles who were themselves traumatized when they were childs, however the case of one particular pedophile all actions have consecuences & they all need to be accounted for what they have done.

*JR*
Sep 13th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Can anyone be chemically castrated or just pedophiles?

AFAIK, anyone can be. The uniqueness of pedophiles is that they have a compulsion that's kind of "hard wired", and a lot of them may just not be able to avoid acting on the urge.

Whereas a "typical rapist" may have more ability not to. But even rapists of "non-kids" are in some cases given less jail time if they agree to ongoing chemical castration while on probation.

We can't (and shouldn't try to) "lock up everybody for everything", and the suppression of sex drives that lead to serious crime are another "diversion program". (Like methadone, etc. for heroin addicts).

Of course Timmy, I'm a big "think outside the box" type. When Amy Winehouse died (somewhat as a result of drug abuse) I said she should have been forced into "aversion therapy" years earlier, and griffin called me a sadist. :help:

Alizé Molik
Sep 13th, 2012, 12:55 AM
To the extent that all people who are in prison deserve some chance at help/rehabilitation I agree with that. Not happy at all with that title or the obvious comparison to homosexuality. As is often over looked, the fundamental difference is two consenting adults v a mentally ill adult and a child. Not the same.

young_gunner913
Sep 13th, 2012, 04:06 AM
To the extent that all people who are in prison deserve some chance at help/rehabilitation I agree with that. Not happy at all with that title or the obvious comparison to homosexuality. As is often over looked, the fundamental difference is two consenting adults v a mentally ill adult and a child. Not the same.

That's the whole reason Williamsser posted this. Bigoted piece of shit.

stromatolite
Sep 13th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure if sympathy is the right word, but if you want to get any kind of handle on the problem some measure of understanding is essential IMO.

It's always going to be very hard to unconditionally trust anybody who has ever molested a child, but I think that offenders who show real remorse and a desire to change their behaviour should be given the chance to lead some kind of normal life. If for no other reason than the fact that marginalizing them pretty much removes any incentive they may otherwise have to behave like a civilized human being.

So Disrespectful
Sep 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
I actually do sympathise with pedophiles because I know what it's like to harbour an attraction that you might not necessarily want; in the same way I feel sympathy for homosexuals in conservative communities. They face the same sort of alienation and temptation, yet for something completely unharmful.

However, there is never any excuse for abusing a child. I know that many pedophiles are 'non-exclusive', meaning they do have some level of attraction to adults. If that's the case, they should see a psychiatrist or mental health professional to help them control their illegal and abusive desires while strengthening their desire to lead a normal life. Chemical castration, therapy or even mild hormone therapy (such as progesterone, dutasteride, spironolactone) should be able to help exclusive pedophiles control their urges.

And this is not a perfect analogy, but I'm sure some of us have some pretty fucked up fetishes that we know better than to act on.

Pureracket
Sep 13th, 2012, 11:42 AM
That's the whole reason Williamsser posted this. Bigoted piece of shit.I didn't even have to look. I already knew who posted this thread.

SilverPersian
Sep 13th, 2012, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure if sympathy is the right word...

I was going to start my small rant with exactly the same phrase :lol:

...but I think that what happens to convicted sex offenders in prison isn't acceptable. Not sure what can be done about this - my understanding is that most are already placed in isolation for protection, but that the other inmates end up specifically targeting those in isolation for this reason. Maybe entirely separate centres for convicted pedophiles is the way to go...

stromatolite
Sep 13th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I was going to start my small rant with exactly the same phrase :lol:

Yeah, it's risky to make any statement on a topic like this without some kind of pre-emptive disclaimer:lol:

Sgt.Timmykinz
Sep 13th, 2012, 04:13 PM
AFAIK, anyone can be. The uniqueness of pedophiles is that they have a compulsion that's kind of "hard wired", and a lot of them may just not be able to avoid acting on the urge.

Whereas a "typical rapist" may have more ability not to. But even rapists of "non-kids" are in some cases given less jail time if they agree to ongoing chemical castration while on probation.

We can't (and shouldn't try to) "lock up everybody for everything", and the suppression of sex drives that lead to serious crime are another "diversion program". (Like methadone, etc. for heroin addicts).

Of course Timmy, I'm a big "think outside the box" type. When Amy Winehouse died (somewhat as a result of drug abuse) I said she should have been forced into "aversion therapy" years earlier, and griffin called me a sadist. :help:

Thanks for the info, its a lot to think about and obviously this is a very touchy subject that requires long thought out discussions by lawmakers.