PDA

View Full Version : Should US cable news still rerun 9/11/01...

*JR*
Sep 11th, 2012, 01:49 PM
footage as it happened then, every September 11th? I kind of thought that last year (the 10th anniversary) might be it, but I guess not. The JFK assassination coverage from November 22, 1963 is still re-aired on the anniversaries, but only as part of specials or brief news stories. Whereas with 9/11, its treated on TV in the US like "this is unfolding now". @ what point will it be treated like history? (Brits: do your news channels treat 7/7 the same way?)

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 11th, 2012, 01:56 PM
No. We all know it's a tragedy but it's part of the history now, I don't wish to see this kind of thing being repeated every year.:o

stromatolite
Sep 11th, 2012, 02:45 PM
No disrespect to the victims and their families, but it's starting to wear a bit thin now. It was a terrible tragedy, but there have been far worse tragedies in recent history that were practically forgotten two weeks after they happened, because they happened in poor countries nobody much cares about. Time for a bit of perspective.

edificio
Sep 11th, 2012, 07:29 PM
No. A memorial show is fine. But reshowing the footage is not necessary.

9/11 was on a beautiful Tuesday morning. I still remember how incongruous it seemed and probably will never forget.

Wigglytuff
Sep 11th, 2012, 08:39 PM
i do not think we need to air the entire 5 or 6 hours of that day every year. a memorial show is fine. every year i forget that thats what they are going to do and every year i wake up to this and its just not how i want to memorialize that day.

Talula
Sep 12th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Yes. It was a deliberate act of the most inhumane terrorism in my lifetime which made the World a worse place. I think we should remember all the people affected by this.

As for what happened in London, the British media tend to ignore it which I think is very sad.

Bismarck.
Sep 12th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Yes. It was a deliberate act of the most inhumane terrorism in my lifetime which made the World a worse place. I think we should remember all the people affected by this.

I think people would still remember it even if it weren't replayed for them every year.

Bismarck.
Sep 12th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Also, I would add that the US networks that do replay it (I don't know which channels in question actually do this) do this as an act of remembrance, it's more a way of providing a shocking spectacle that can be excused as a tribute, IMO.

Nicolás89
Sep 12th, 2012, 05:54 PM
I think people would still remember it even if it weren't replayed for them every year.

You think? Even the young ones?