PDA

View Full Version : Serena : "Vika IS the best player on the year"

doomsday
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:38 AM
In the final, I'll play against the most consistent player on the Tour and in my opinion the best player on the entire year.

http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/us-open/2012/demi-finales-declarations_sto3417051/story.shtml

Is this really true? I mean, Maria sure has a word to say, she reached 2 GS finals as well, the Olympic Final she won 3 titles and reached more BIG finals than Vika. Vika stayed N1 longer just because of her little tricks in Rome and wherever. Anyway I'm pretty sure Serena is trying to put al the pressure on Vika but if Vika wins the title then I will have to agree.

Michalka
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:42 AM
i think serenka said that because 1) she will be playing vika in the final and 2) vika has been ranked No.1 for the vast majority of the year so far

had maria been the one with the no.1 ranking and the player facing serenka in the final, you would have heard serenka saying the same thing about maria as well

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Well, you can look the other way round that Rena is praising Vika, which doesn't happen often.:oh:

jj74
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Well, Vika was dominant force the first part of the year. And apart of Serena post Wimbledon (well, she did dominate clay season apart from that RG big fail), the only one who really dominate the circuit.
I think Serena is the best player of the year, but Vika is not that far

doomsday
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Well, you can look the other way round that Rena is praising Vika, which doesn't happen often.:oh:

Really? She said she congratulated her after beating Maria in the semis but maybe she is happy she doesn't have to face Maria now.:lol:

hERi
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:54 AM
yes indeed

LightWarrior
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Yeah and she thinks she's the underdog for the final, she has nothing to lose...blah blah blah

hBence
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:56 AM
"I don't have anything to lose," Williams said. "I feel like I'm going up against the most consistent and the best player this year. It will be a good challenge."

Everybody knows what it means. :oh:

Marcus1979
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Really? She said she congratulated her after beating Maria in the semis but maybe she is happy she doesn't have to face Maria now.:lol:

why would she be afraid to face Maria its not like Maria has won many games let alone sets off Serena lately?

Sammo
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Indeed, she won Rome and Madrid :oh:

hBence
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Indeed, she won Rome and Madrid :oh:

who?

Marcus1979
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:01 AM
who?

I thought Serena won Madrid and Sharpie won rome?

GoofyDuck
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM
She always does this :lol:

Sammo
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM
who?

I was obviously referring to her comment about Dinara :lol: But anyway, Serena always tries to play weird mental games with her opponents.

hBence
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:06 AM

yes. that's right!

doomsday
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
why would she be afraid to face Maria its not like Maria has won many games let alone sets off Serena lately?

I can't believe you actually responded to this, I was obviously kidding. If anything she is not happy that Maria is not in the final.

pov
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
She called her opponent in the final, Victoria Azarenka, the most consistent player this year. But Serena made sure to mention that, “I always believe I’m the best obviously.”
:shrug:

eDonkey
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:19 PM
"I don't have anything to lose," Williams said. "I feel like I'm going up against the most consistent and the best player this year. It will be a good challenge."

Everybody knows what it means. :oh:

:lol:

Linguae^
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Whenever she says something like that, she crushes that opponent in the finals with no mercy. :oh:

Excelscior
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Serena just setting Azarenka up for the Demolition. :tape:

Plus, she would never nominate herself as the best player this year anyway.

This is the same woman, that totally excluded herself from the all time best player argument.

Move on now. :dog:

cehowardrx7
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Well, Vika was dominant force the first part of the year. And apart of Serena post Wimbledon (well, she did dominate clay season apart from that RG big fail), the only one who really dominate the circuit.
I think Serena is the best player of the year, but Vika is not that far

All Serena and most of you all around here is BACKING up what I stated a while back.(taking a bow). Vika is heir apperent to the throne when Serena starts declining and retires. Vika will be the next power to deal with and the best out there. I said this a while back. Serena has to be on her A game tonight..And I agree, even if Serena wins, Vika has earned the Player Of The Year!

aloeball
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Yes, Serena always says this not really to psyche her opponent out but to relax herself. Im always reminded of an episode of South Park about how Eric is lying to Kyle and Kyle says I believe you believe that that what you say is true.

I almost feel like thats the same for Serena, she kind of believes her own 'lies'. To calm her.

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:38 PM
The fact is Vika has been more consistent this year than Serena and because she has defeated 3/4 against Sharapova, this is correct. That does not mean she will win tonight. If Serena win's, she the player of the year with 2 slams and the Olympics.

vixter
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:58 PM
I was obviously referring to her comment about Dinara :lol: But anyway, Serena always tries to play weird mental games with her opponents.

I don't think she is playing mental games with her opponent though, she's playing them with herself. The biggest danger for Serena is if she puts too much pressure on herself to win.

I think she will crush Azarenka though. Azarenka will feel too much pressure to be the aggressor in this match and will go for too much too soon.

edificio
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Whether Masha or Vika, she was going to get praised by Serena prior to the final. It's tradition, and anyway, she has nothing to lose. :lol:

All Serena and most of you all around here is BACKING up what I stated a while back.(taking a bow). Vika is heir apperent to the throne when Serena starts declining and retires. Vika will be the next power to deal with and the best out there. I said this a while back. Serena has to be on her A game tonight..And I agree, even if Serena wins, Vika has earned the Player Of The Year!

:lol: No. If Serena wins, she is definitely player of the year. If she loses, she is arguably player of the year.

jameshazza
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:09 PM
We all know what this means. :bolt:

vixter
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Whether Masha or Vika, she was going to get praised by Serena prior to the final. It's tradition, and anyway, she has nothing to lose. :lol:

:lol: No. If Serena wins, she is definitely player of the year. If she loses, she is arguably player of the year.

If Azarenka would win I think she must be the player of the year since AO+USO beats W+Olympics, plus she is ranked no.1

Serena will win though and she should then be player of the year I think

Israel
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I think that Serena respects Azarenka for actually winning a slam (and not only Rome and Madrid) and thinks she's a good player which is true.
That's very nice of her to say that, although she knows herself that she's the best.

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:19 PM
It's not a good thing when Rena praises someone right before she has to face em :sobbing:. Vika :sobbing:.

TheHangover
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:20 PM
she is soo faaaaaaaaaaake, bad actressss

MrProdigy555
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Bad actress based on words you just read? Chile, shut up. :rolleyes:

FreeSchool72
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Rena has learned to never to underestimate any opponent.....Remember 2004 Wimbledon Final? She got burned for doing that.....I tell you, Serena plays like she is aloof but she is extremely aware.....Especially of her history and the game of others....Don't Be Fooled

shoryuken
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:41 PM

and yet if she says she's the best player we'll call her arrogant :rolleyes:

miffedmax
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Tonight's winner is POY. If Vika wins, we will also have our first true YE No.1 since 2008.

If Vika loses, her and Martha can sort out who's really No.2 at the YEC.

I just hope it's a good match, though of course I want Vika to win.

FreeSchool72
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Serena will Win......She is gonna make sure of this.....Straight Set VictoryFor Her 15th Major In Singles.....30th Overall!!!! I Love Vika But She Is Up Against An Inspired Champion Whose Willpower and Game Is More Massive Than Hers....Vika will be the year end #1 though....Good Effort

Kon.
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Shit Serena says.
She has nothing to lose, we get it. :lol:

Anyway, she just complimented Vika with a well deserved compliment.
I don't know if she exactly believes it but she always says things like this and it's no big deal.

Fuzzylogic
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Putting all the pressure on Azarenka :oh:

Diesel
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Shit Serena says.
She has nothing to lose, we get it. :lol:

Anyway, she just complimented Vika with a well deserved compliment.
I don't know if she exactly believes it but she always says things like this and it's no big deal.

Actually it is a big deal. If she doesn't say this, it's a big deal, if she says Vika is the best, it's fake/big deal. All her words are looked at closely for truth, falsehood and intention. A compliment isn't even a true compliment since some don't know if Serena believes her own words. A lot of verbal gymnastics off of something that isn't supposed to be a big deal :confused:

Stonerpova
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM
She's just setting it up so she can say she drubbed the best player of the year :lol:

Roookie
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I already said winner of Vika-Maria SF was the POY. 1st round losers at slams get disqualified. Serena is just stating the obvious.

FoxyliciousKhat
Sep 8th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Actually it is a big deal. If she doesn't say this, it's a big deal, if she says Vika is the best, it's fake/big deal. All her words are looked at closely for truth, falsehood and intention. A compliment isn't even a true compliment since some don't know if Serena believes her own words. A lot of verbal gymnastics off of something that isn't supposed to be a big deal :confused:

Couldn't have said it better.

Funny Rafa would going into matches not basically toting himself despite his positive H2H against his opponent and he's seen as real. Serena words are questioned. Different day same BS on this forum.

Foxy

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 8th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Tonight's winner is POY. If Vika wins, we will also have our first true YE No.1 since 2008.

I think the YE #1 was pretty deserving :shrug:

I already said winner of Vika-Maria SF was the POY. 1st round losers at slams get disqualified. Serena is just stating the obvious.
I disagree.

Serena has more titles than both Maria and Vika. Not to mention 2>1.

Also in 2001 Serena's sister lost in the first round of the French, but after cleaning up in the latter half of the year, she was widely regarded as the POY.

MakarovaFan
Sep 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM
At this point i don't see how Victoria is the "best player this year" nor "most consistent"

Serena since Miami has only lost 3 time and has won........but then again she would never outwardly claim herself
Soo Maria has played Finals on every surface:
Titles: Vika 4(only on hardcourts)-Maria 3(only on clay)......Vika
GS: Vika 2 Finals-1 Title-I SF(W-4-SF-F)-Maria 2 Finals-1 title(F-W-4-SF).....Tied
Finals: Vika 7-Maria 7....Tied
Finals OFF Winning Surface(important for showing diversity and consistency): Vika 1-Maria 4....Maria
Finals: Tournaments Played: Vika 7/13-Maria 7/11(!!)....Maria
Tournaments Played VS W/L: Vika 13(54/7)-Maria 11(49/8)...Vika
Losses VS Non Big "4": Vika 3*(Bartloi,Cibulkova)-Maria 2(Kerber,Lisicki)......Maria
Top 10 Wins:Vika 15-Maria 8*(she also beat Bartoli and Kerber as they had become top 10)....Vika
Pre SF losses: Vika 4* (2 were defaults)-Maria 2.......Tied

Maria has a Silver Medal and has played a Final every part of the year, Vika since Stuttgart(in May!) had only played one Final.

doomsday
Sep 8th, 2012, 06:35 PM

Sorry but Maria and Vika still have the exact same result at majors considering Vika is not gonna beat Serena. And Maria reached Olympic Gold final, Maria has the edge for now, the end of the season should tell us more about who is the POY but it's definitely between Vika and Maria.

MrProdigy555
Sep 8th, 2012, 07:34 PM
Doesn't matter.

2 Grand Slams and Olympics in the same year would make Serena the player of the year, as well as her victories over the other 2 players in contention.

treufreund
Sep 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
If Serena somehow loses, will she act happy and know that she was the underdog? Please, sit down and shut up, lying hypocrite.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM
and yet if she says she's the best player we'll call her arrogant :rolleyes:Exactly.

btw, Love your Av'. I miss the damn Cat suit! Serena looked like a Super Hero in it.

edificio
Sep 8th, 2012, 07:52 PM
If Serena somehow loses, will she act happy and know that she was the underdog? Please, sit down and shut up, lying hypocrite.

Are you the lying hypocrite? I can't tell from your fantasy scenario.

Nabalonge
Sep 8th, 2012, 07:52 PM
So Serena, when asked, should have said forget the rankings because everyone, me, Vika, other player, commentators, fans and pundits all know I am the best player?
You should sit your hypocritical, bitter and highly disgruntled self somewhere dark and quiet where you won't allow Serena to raise your blood pressure. You have no credibility or objectivity when you willingly find all avenues to bash Serena. Stick with players you like because you look foolish otherwise.

MrProdigy555
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:10 PM
So Serena, when asked, should have said forget the rankings because everyone, me, Vika, other player, commentators, fans and pundits all know I am the best player?
You should sit your hypocritical, bitter and highly disgruntled self somewhere dark and quiet where you won't allow Serena to raise your blood pressure. You have no credibility or objectivity when you willingly find all avenues to bash Serena. Stick with players you like because you look foolish otherwise.
*POW*

shoryuken
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Exactly.

btw, Love your Av'. I miss the damn Cat suit! Serena looked like a Super Hero in it.

yeah she looks amazing :hearts:

the player he likes retired twice. No wonder he's seething :lol:

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:46 PM
What is wrong with this reasoning? Your reasoning?

Maria just got humiliated at the Olympics in the most lopsided loss in Olympic history, why would Serena be afraid of Maria if Serena is the one who administered the humiliation?
And since when is Serena afraid of any one, let alone Maria?

I am afraid to say you did not put your time-off to good use... or are you rusty from having been away from the TF?
You totally lost your common sense.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:49 PM

A Sybille Bammer comeback would be the only thing that could worry Serena :lol:

MakarovaFan
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:53 PM
.......Or a peak 2006/2007 Henin return lol

doomsday
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:01 PM
What is wrong with this reasoning? Your reasoning?

Maria just got humiliated at the Olympics in the most lopsided loss in Olympic history, why would Serena be afraid of Maria if Serena is the one who administered the humiliation?

I am afraid to say you did not put your time-off to good use... or are you rusty from having been away from the TF?
You totally lost your common sense.

Shut up, tennis bum. I said one post after that I was kidding, I know you suck in French but I didn't know you were as bad in English.

Raiden
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Is this really true? I mean, Maria sure has a word to say, she reached 2 GS finals as wellSo did Vika - so that cancels each other out.

the Olympic FinalVika fared better against Serena + plus she won mixed gold. That is greater achievement than beating Kiri.

She won 3 titles and reached more BIG finals than Vika.But Vika won more BIG finals. It's winning that counts.

Anyway I'm pretty sure Serena is trying to put al the pressure on Vika but if Vika wins the title then I will have to agree.You have no choice anyway. The top-2've been Serena and Vika all year. What Pova can claim to be is the clay queen of 2012.

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Shut up, tennis bum. I said one post after that I was kidding, I know you suck in French but I didn't know you were as bad in English.
What a weak response! After you were reminded to address my post, this is with you came up with?
And you are not kidding, you created another thread with the same kind of reasoning

I know you are under stress from Maria's misfortune lately, but don't take it so hard. Be resilient.
She will recover from it.

BTW, I was pulling for Maria yesterday, and defending her... if that is any consolation to relieve your pain:lol:
Or you can always go back to the greatest hit, 2004 Wimbledon DVD if it still gets you up and is NOT too scratchy from overplay

doomsday
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:36 PM
So did Vika - so that cancels each other out.

Maria reached 2 GS finals in a row, that's a lil more impressive if you ask me.

Vika fared better against Serena + plus she won mixed gold. That is greater achievement than beating Kiri.

:lol: no comment.:lol:

And as for the rest, Vika only reached big finals on ONE surface(HC) unlike Maria who was overall more consistent on every single surface. OG final on grass, FO win on clay and OZ final on HC.

doomsday
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:41 PM
What a weak response! After you were reminded to address my post, this is with you came up with?
And you are not kidding, you created another thread with the same kind of reasoning

I know you are under stress from Maria's misfortune lately, but don't take it so hard. Be resilient.
She will recover from it.

BTW, I was pulling for Maria yesterday, and defending her... if that is any consolation to relieve your pain:lol:
Or you can always go back to the greatest hit, 2004 Wimbledon DVD if it still gets you up and is NOT too scratchy from overplay

And you have the nerve to say that I do my very best to get to you :help: of course I was kidding, Maria would have been lucky to win 5 games with Serena serving and returning like this. And no I'm not under any stress, this year was beautiful for Maria she was the most consistent at majors with Vika. Definitely a great year no matter what happens next.

And I know you were pulling for Maria, you're well aware that she had 0,0% chances to win the final unlike Vika who has let's say 5%.

C. Drone
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:38 PM

yesterday on Eurosport they called the final as "World #1 vs Best player of the world" :oh:

Vikapower
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Sorry but Maria and Vika still have the exact same result at majors considering Vika is not gonna beat Serena. And Maria reached Olympic Gold final, Maria has the edge for now, the end of the season should tell us more about who is the POY but it's definitely between Vika and Maria.

:lol: Sorry but this argument often makes me laugh though because if Serena was on Maria's side of the draw, Maria wouldn't have made the F -- it was either Maria or Victoria for Serena, it fell on Victoria and she logically didn't make the F, if it was the inverse, Victoria would have 100% made the F but wouldn't have won the Gold anyways.

I'm not certain this silver advantage over the bronze means anything -- to balance it out, if Venus was much better in singles on grass (also higher ranked) like in the past, then a Serena-Vika and Venus-Maria would have made it even/equal so that -- neither Maria and Victoria would have made the F and this discussion would have been non existent.

NashaP
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Serena talks so much shit, much like her fans :haha:

T-rex
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:13 AM
In the final, I'll play against the most consistent player on the Tour and in my opinion the best player on the entire year.

http://www.eurosport.fr/tennis/us-open/2012/demi-finales-declarations_sto3417051/story.shtml

Is this really true? I mean, Maria sure has a word to say, she reached 2 GS finals as well, the Olympic Final she won 3 titles and reached more BIG finals than Vika. Vika stayed N1 longer just because of her little tricks in Rome and wherever. Anyway I'm pretty sure Serena is trying to put al the pressure on Vika but if Vika wins the title then I will have to agree.

This is why sometimes athlete interviews are the biggest waste of time in all of media. Nobody in the room believed that statement.... including Serena.

doomsday
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:32 AM
:lol: Sorry but this argument often makes me laugh though because if Serena was on Maria's side of the draw, Maria wouldn't have made the F -- it was either Maria or Victoria for Serena, it fell on Victoria and she logically didn't make the F, if it was the inverse, Victoria would have 100% made the F but wouldn't have won the Gold anyways.

I'm not certain this silver advantage over the bronze means anything -- to balance it out, if Venus was much better in singles on grass (also higher ranked) like in the past, then a Serena-Vika and Venus-Maria would have made it even/equal so that -- neither Maria and Victoria would have made the F and this discussion would have been non existent.

Well we can't recreate draws like this, Maria this year was also not lucky to play Serena in Madrid QF. Vika was lucky to be on the other side of the draw it helped her to reach the final:lol:
Seriously, we can go on for weeks if we're arguing about the draws it's just the way it is, players have zero control on it beside are you sure Vika would be favored to reach Olympic final with Lisicki and Clijsters on grass courts, I mean, she had a lot of trouble already against Petrova of all people :lol: seriously, this is absurd to question the draw.

serenaforever
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:56 AM

Yeah, I'm sure that's it.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpmpg5pMTH1qc93th.gif

serenaforever
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:59 AM
I think the YE #1 was pretty deserving :shrug:

I disagree.

Serena has more titles than both Maria and Vika. Not to mention 2>1.

Also in 2001 Serena's sister lost in the first round of the French, but after cleaning up in the latter half of the year, she was widely regarded as the POY.

Y'all can be so mean. :lol:

dencod16
Sep 9th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Didn't Serena say this to Radwanska and Sharapova, not the exactly the same words but in line with this. The problem with this is it has huge chances of a whitewash as Serena has been praising her previous opponents, this statement means she's game face on from the first point.

tennisbum79
Sep 9th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Didn't Serena say this to Radwanska and Sharapova, not the exactly the same words but in line with this. The problem with this is it has huge chances of a whitewash as Serena has been praising her previous opponents, this statement means she's game face on from the first point.

Serena also went back to the new kiss of death expression: "I have nothing to lose".
This has left lot of devastation on its path as of late

roguedandelion
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Rena building her up to pop her.

Marcoo
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Vika isn't the best player this year for sure hahaha :D Good move Serena ;)

Lachy
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:41 AM
When did she actually start this 'I have nothing to lose' thing? She has been doing it constantly this year, going into matches the OVERWHELMING favourite and then tries to downplay that fact. :spit:

Drake1980
Sep 9th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Well Azarenka is ranked number one so......
Get it Ree! :hearts:

The Witch-king
Sep 9th, 2012, 11:25 AM

What?

MrSerenaWilliams
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM
yesterday on Eurosport they called the final as "World #1 vs Best player of the world" :oh:

I see no lies :shrug:

Galsen
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:18 PM

Since 2008? :spit:

HippityHop
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:40 PM
When did she actually start this 'I have nothing to lose' thing? She has been doing it constantly this year, going into matches the OVERWHELMING favourite and then tries to downplay that fact. :spit:

Well, she doesn't have anything to lose. Vika is the #1, a slam champion and has played very well this year. Her number one ranking really means something. Serena is the underdog here. To suggest that she is the OVERWHELMING favorite is an insult to the world's number 1.

slamchamp
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:48 PM
It's true:shrug:

Break My Rapture
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Well, she doesn't have anything to lose. Vika is the #1, a slam champion and has played very well this year. Her number one ranking really means something. Serena is the underdog here. To suggest that she is the OVERWHELMING favorite is an insult to the world's number 1.
Serena is the overwhelming favorite. Literally no one is giving Vika an ounce of a chance to make this competitive, let alone win this.

The amount of mind games Serena has been on lately are starting to remind me of Henin's constant pre-match mental warfare. :lol:

Michalka
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:59 PM
so basically you guys simply want serenka to admit she's the best player of the year instead of vika and then bash her for being arrogant? :confused:

coolfish1103
Sep 9th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Serena: "I am the best player over all cause I beat all you #1s."

NashaMasha
Sep 9th, 2012, 01:07 PM
it looks like Klitchko overhyping his next amateur opponent at press conference before knocking him down in 4th round

gmokb
Sep 9th, 2012, 01:28 PM
New diplomatic Serena.:)

gmokb
Sep 9th, 2012, 01:30 PM
so basically you guys simply want serenka to admit she's the best player of the year instead of vika and then bash her for being arrogant? :confused:

I didn't think it was arrogance, the truth never is:)