PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think Serena

ziros
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:21 AM
changed tack somewhere along the line from "When I'm fit and healthy,no one can beat me" to "Oh,I've got nothing to lose. She's the favourite".

TheLegendof
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:24 AM
I think it helps her mentally -- she tries really hard to take the pressure off lately, especially after the French. But her former position still applies (most of the time)

moby
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Because the competition she has now sucks, and she's not pressed.

Serena has often said things contrary to the reality to play mental games.

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:33 AM
I think it helps her mentally -- she tries really hard to take the pressure off lately, especially after the French. But her former position still applies (most of the time)
I feel deep down, she still feel when she is playing her best, no one can beat her.

But when she came back from her illness, she probably took as step back and made a concerted effort not to say that.

With that said, "I have nothing to lose" line actually shifts the pressure to the opponent.
It gives them a false sense that Serena is not confident about her chances, therefore lowering expectations

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Because the competition she has now sucks, and she's not pressed.

Serena has often said things contrary to the reality to play mental games.

I disagree. What you said is true most of the times.

But I do think she meant it when she first came back from her illness.
As TheLengendOf said earlier, It was a way to alleviate the pressure of expectations that has followed her throughout most of her career.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:42 AM
changed tack somewhere along the line from "When I'm fit and healthy,no one can beat me" to "Oh,I've got nothing to lose. She's the favourite".

Older. Wiser.

Volcana
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Keeps the media off her case.

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Keeps the media off her case.
That too.

metamorpha
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:02 AM
She's older and probably tired of being cocky. She also finds that at this point of her career, it feels better mentally to be a little more #humble :angel: