PDA

View Full Version : After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face men

shoparound
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:28 AM
"After 6-1, 6-2 loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face men"

http://www.startribune.com/sports/168979556.html?refer=y

:eek:

jrm
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:33 AM
i don't see why

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:35 AM
She should face Tomic.:oh:

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:39 AM
I read the article, putting it in full context, she did not mean it with malice.

Rather, she just wants Serena to represent women because she has had enough with men saying women are worse.
She wants Serena to become the BJK of the modern era.

NEW YORK - The latest woman to absorb a lopsided loss against Serena Williams thinks the 14-time Grand Slam champion should take on a new challenge.

"Given that men are always quick to say women are a lot worse ... I'd love to see her play in a (lower-level) men's tournament and see how they deal with her. It's easy to talk. On the court, it would be different," the 10th-seeded Sara Errani said.

"I've practiced with a lot of guys ranked 400th or 500th," Errani explained. "I've never played with a man who hits as hard as she does."

FattyKid
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:04 AM
Sara Sara Sara :o

Morrissey
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Errani is a sore loser her comment is a backhanded one just like Cibulkova is a sore loser and Jankovic. All three of these ladies use the man comment to criticize women who are just superior tennis players to them. Errani needs to get on the practice court and learn how to serve. Serving 80 to 90 miles per hour is NOT going to get it done against the top women. Serena just destroyed Errani it was a complete joke how weak Sara game is.

ptkten
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Errani is a sore loser her comment is a backhanded one just like Cibulkova is a sore loser and Jankovic. All three of these ladies use the man comment to criticize women who are just superior tennis players to them. Errani needs to get on the practice court and learn how to serve. Serving 80 to 90 miles per hour is NOT going to get it done against the top women. Serena just destroyed Errani it was a complete joke how weak Sara game is.

:unsure: She was complimenting Serena. People need to stop being so sensitive. It's clear she was saying she wanted Serena to show the guys up to prove that the top women are just as good as some of the rank and file ATP players.

Nicolás89
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Context people. Context.

I completely agree with Sara.

LindsayRulz
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:14 AM
She's already beaten Roddick. :oh:

lbrdC5W07aE

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:16 AM
:unsure: She was complimenting Serena. People need to stop being so sensitive. It's clear she was saying she wanted Serena to show the guys up to prove that the top women are just as good as some of the rank and file ATP players.
That is my understanding as well, and said so in my earlier post above

I don't think it is the same as Jankovic or Cibulkova

Cajka
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:19 AM
I read the article, putting it in full context, she did not mean it with malice.

Rather, she just wants Serena to represent women because she has had enough with men saying women are worse.

Actually, it's a great quote from Sara, she's complimenting her opponent, defending WTA players and she has proven already that she's not a sore loser after the RG final. People should sometimes read the interview before commenting. ;)

producer88
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:20 AM
I see it as a compliment!

She's saying women deserve the same respect, because of amazing players like Serena

FoxyliciousKhat
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:20 AM

This.

Foxy

producer88
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:22 AM

lbrdC5W07aE

Hahaha love this video!

practiceboy
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Uhhh it's pretty clear she meant it as a compliment. Reading comprehension, people.

Jesus.

shoryuken
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:26 AM
She lists beating Roddick as one of her top 5 matches of all time :lol:

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Hahaha love this video!
Serena gona miss Andy

I wish they had played mixed doubles

IceSkaTennisFan
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Given Djokovic's recent comments, it would be nice to see them play an exhibition match.

producer88
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Given Djokovic's recent comments, it would be nice to see them play an exhibition match.

She aced Djokovic twice in a mixed doubles match :oh: hahaha

I really want to see how Serena would handle Murray's 85mph 2nd serve!

Mrs. Peel
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:48 AM
GREAT compliment from Errani. She sounds like one of those girl's girls. She's basically saying the men are always running their mouth how bad women's tennis is and Serena would kick some of their asses. I'm a new fan. Got to love those Italian women.

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:50 AM
She aced Djokovic twice in a mixed doubles match :oh: hahaha

I really want to see how Serena would handle Murray's 85mph 2nd serve!
...and she also won a couple of face-off at the net going at each other.

This was during the Hopman Cup, USA (Marty Fish/Serena Williams) vs . Serbia(Novak Djokovic/Jelena Yankovic)
The USA won it.

Serena showed no fear at the net even if the ball comes straight at her from Novak

Commentators are French, they love Serena duals against Novak
95z07BWzyEg&feature=related

b2b
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:03 AM
i want to see her serve against men.that's all

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:10 AM
i want to see her serve against men.that's all
Look at the video above, she aced Novak twice.
This was not exhibition, ant it was serious match.

doktor
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Definitely a compliment.

GOATrena

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:12 AM
GREAT compliment from Errani. She sounds like one of those girl's girls. She's basically saying the men are always running their mouth how bad women's tennis is and Serena would kick some of their asses. I'm a new fan. Got to love those Italian women.
Especially Italian and Spanish men.

thrust
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:16 AM

Errani VS Serena is like a light weight boxer against a heavy weight. For a woman her size, Errani does about the best she is physically capable of. I am amazed she even got the the semis at the USO. GOOD FOR HER!!

Thirty All
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:51 AM

This was during the Hopman Cup, USA (Marty Fish/Serena Williams) vs . Serbia(Novak Djokovic/Jelena Yankovic)
The USA won it.

Serena showed no fear at the net even if the ball comes straight at her from Novak

:spit: @ Jelena not winning any point by herself :lmao:

Hardiansf
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Great comment from Sara.
Bless her

Cajka
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:53 AM
:spit: @ Jelena not winning any point by herself :lmao:

She was injured. :sad:

Drake1980
Sep 8th, 2012, 07:47 AM
She was being nice! Geesh

Israel
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:10 AM
That's the greatest compliment any WTA player would like to get I think.

RVD
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:25 AM
It was pretty clear that if read within context, what Errani said was inarguably a compliment.

The USA won it.

95z07BWzyEg&feature=relatedThank you for posting this.
That was supremely entertaining, and shines a whole new light on how close the women are to the men. :cool:
Serena is fearless & fierce!! :lol:
She had Djokovic shaking his head in disbelief. :haha:

spiritedenergy
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:29 AM

The USA won it.

Serena and Djokovic doing all the play:lol:

mdterp01
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Good grief...it was a compliment folks!! :rolleyes:

Sam L
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Serena can be top ten on ATP, easily.

oh yeah i guess
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:14 AM

It would be like facing a taller variant of Radwanska with the appearance of a malnourished elf.

donniedarkofan
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:17 AM

But she's not as good as some of the ATP players. After all those years of discussions, some people still believe she would be able to beat an ATP player. :hearts:

Sombrerero loco
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:11 AM
:lol: she just want so see serena being destroyed as a revenge

Sombrerero loco
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:12 AM
But she's not as good as some of the ATP players. After all those years of discussions, some people still believe she would be able to beat an ATP player. :hearts:

only an idiot would think so :o

doomsday
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:17 AM

Serena would crush Simon.

Sombrerero loco
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Serena would crush Simon.

:spit: no words

StoneRose
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Errani is a sore loser her comment is a backhanded one just like Cibulkova is a sore loser and Jankovic. All three of these ladies use the man comment to criticize women who are just superior tennis players to them. Errani needs to get on the practice court and learn how to serve. Serving 80 to 90 miles per hour is NOT going to get it done against the top women. Serena just destroyed Errani it was a complete joke how weak Sara game is.Wrong :no:.

:unsure: She was complimenting Serena. People need to stop being so sensitive. It's clear she was saying she wanted Serena to show the guys up to prove that the top women are just as good as some of the rank and file ATP players.Right :yeah:.

Mary Cherry.
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:32 AM
I really don't understand how anyone could interpret this as an insult :facepalm:

kris719
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:43 AM
People actually think that because Serena aced Djokovic twice that she would be able to beat him :facepalm:

These are the same people that didn't read the article and assumed Errani's comment was an insult :facepalm:

Start da Game
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM
errani is right, serena is just truly great......one of the rare women in sports who is very strong and at the same time hasn't lost her womanly look all that much......

romismak
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:03 AM
There is thread on this at MTF

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=209696

Errani was nice - it was compliment, but don´t get overexcited, besides serve, maybe power even very low ranked guys have adnvatage in speed, movement, deffense and truly the difference between men´s and woman´t tennis is biggest in history right now, maybe 20-30years ago the difference wasn´t as big, but with the slowing conditions and physically demanding era of tennis the difference is huge.

Marcoo
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:21 AM
What's the point of that ?

Lilowannabe
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Huge compliment from Sara!! I hate the women v men debate, but its a great statement from Errani.

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:14 PM
I see it as a compliment :shrug:.

thrust
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:20 PM

NO WAY!

NoppaNoppa
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:21 PM
She might beat McEnroe!

First?

mykarma
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:28 PM

lbrdC5W07aE
That's when they were youngsters. In early youth many time girls are stronger than boys.

mykarma
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:30 PM

This

C. Drone
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Sarita complimenting the Lord :worship:

Not sure she is entirely right though.

Look at the video above, she aced Novak twice.
This was not exhibition, ant it was serious match.

lol, even Wozniacki aced Fish this year. Girls do it many times. :lol:

NoppaNoppa
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:42 PM

No. Every player in current ATP Top 100 would drop at most 2 games against her. Sorry ladies, you are not at same level :wavey:

Adrian.
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:50 PM
No. Every player in current ATP Top 100 would drop at most 2 games against her. Sorry ladies, you are not at same level :wavey:

Serena would win against mugs like Ungur and all the other wannabe top 100 vulture ITF players :bigwave:

KV
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:59 PM
That's it. Why should people pay attention to someone who's very unnoticed in the area where I live in. Errani is very much unnoticed, and I agree people rather talk about something else.

NoppaNoppa
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Serena would win against mugs like Ungur and all the other wannabe top 100 vulture ITF players :bigwave:

Sure SHE can, but why we have diffirent tournaments for men and women? In this equlity world, why not have one tournament for all. Just like in Chess!

VS Fan
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:04 PM
And yet Errani advanced to the semifinals of a major tennis tournament. What does this say about the state of womens tennis currently. A 31 year old star is mopping them up.
However I do not think it is as bad as this looks. Serena sometimes plays what I call an "in the zone" match. These used to occur only a few times a season. This year since after the first week of Wimbledon she has had about a dozen of these performances. When Serena is in this mode, I do not think anyone can beat her.
An example of this was Wimbledon 2004 vs Jennifer Capriati. 6-1, 6-1. These two most of the time battled in three set matches that were very close. Too bad she lost the final to Maria. Maria was the one in the zone that day.

Kworb
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:04 PM
If you watch some $15K streams on the men's tour then it's easy to see Serena could beat men's players ranked around #500.

JN
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:08 PM

This. It's not at all sour grapes.

Michalka
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Sara stanning for the queen! :lol:

Grinder
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:02 PM
lmao @ anyone thinking that Serena would be competitive against a top ATP 100 player

Absolutely moronic comment by Errani

Love Serena but I also understand the gap between men's and women's tennis. A few clips from a mixed doubles match doesn't prove anything.

Nicolás89
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I think she could definitely be competitive against some men, I can see her holding serve & punishing some weak serves. :lol:

AcesHigh
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM
I think she could definitely be competitive against some men, I can see her holding serve & punishing some weak serves. :lol:

Maybe some juniors

Destiny
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Fire starter thread starter

Context boo

nevetssllim
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:23 PM

I also saw Dulko ace Bryan at Roland Garros and Youzhny at the Olympics this year. :tape: Even so, I think Serena at her best could probably hold serve a few times and make a mildly(ish) competitive match against someone outside the top-100 on grass.

HippityHop
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM
I really don't understand how anyone could interpret this as an insult :facepalm:

Because some people are perpetually angry and they are always looking for something that they can be outraged or offended by. Pitiful, just pitiful. :sad:

Jane Lane
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:34 PM

This is TF.

:hysteric: Dulko aced Bob Bryan and Youzhny. With her serve. That is all.

Ntosake
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Errani paying a compliment is what I get from this.

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:42 PM
This was a positive comment from Errani. She like everyone on this board is familiar with the men's nonstop negative comments about all things related to the WTA tour. There is a poll on the men 's forum that says Serena could not beat a top 500 male player.

I am a member on the men's forum and I am so sick of their chauvinistic comments and biased attitudes towards all the women. If you think Tipsarevic is bad, then go to the men's forum. His opinions prevail over there.

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:44 PM
If you have not done so, go and join: http://www.menstennisforums.com/

See what the other side thinks.

NoppaNoppa
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I think Serena at her best could probably hold serve a few times and make a mildly(ish) competitive match against someone outside the top-100 on grass.

I do too.. She can only manage 16 16 against men in Top300. At best! That is how huge the gap is! Grass, make that 26 26...

Diesel
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:28 PM

Errani meant it as a compliment. True. But it never tires having Serena marked as the women's savior/representing the women's field when necessary, especially when men are bashing women for play/equal pay and then she's bashed by those who make her the women's destroyer because of her serve/domination/physique.

Fuzzylogic
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:41 PM

Learn to read before mouthing off like a pressed stan :rolleyes:

heyitsme
Sep 8th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I've seen topics like this come up before on this board and I find them incredibly insulting. For the record, I don't think Errani meant to offend Serena and taken at face value her comment is complimentary. That being said, I feel like it's ultimately a cop out. When someone beats you 1 and 2 and all you can do is sit there and contemplate who would be stiffer competition for her says something about you. It's not Serena's fault that she seems to beat players so handily as of late. She's playing with a renewed purpose in the twilight of her career and it is truly a thing of beauty to see. The women simply need to get better to catch up with her, that's the bottom line. The idea that Serena should play against men is ridiculous and it's just another dig at her. Was anyone having this conversation when Justine was decimating players left and right or when Azarenka had that impressive run at the start of the year? The minute Serena strings together some wins and utilizes her power game and godly serve all of a sudden she's too much for her contemporaries and would be better suited playing men, why is that? She has the same tools every other player on the WTA tour has, so why does this conversation come up? I don't want to think that there is a deeper rooted issue as to why she is always thrown into this conversation but ultimately there is. All these scenarios taking men's ranking and surface into account and saying she might win a few games are insane. Serena is a woman and plays woman's tennis. That is why there's 2 different tours, there's no grey area.

Roookie
Sep 8th, 2012, 06:37 PM
"I've never played with a man who hits as hard as she (Serena) does." - Sara

:lol: :oh:

Yonexforever
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:19 PM
It was a compliment but the context wont get reported as widely..Female tennis players good or bad should never compare male vs female. It's silly. She get s a pass since English isnt her native language.

Yonexforever
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I've seen topics like this come up before on this board and I find them incredibly insulting. For the record, I don't think Errani meant to offend Serena and taken at face value her comment is complimentary. That being said, I feel like it's ultimately a cop out. When someone beats you 1 and 2 and all you can do is sit there and contemplate who would be stiffer competition for her says something about you. It's not Serena's fault that she seems to beat players so handily as of late. She's playing with a renewed purpose in the twilight of her career and it is truly a thing of beauty to see. The women simply need to get better to catch up with her, that's the bottom line. The idea that Serena should play against men is ridiculous and it's just another dig at her. Was anyone having this conversation when Justine was decimating players left and right or when Azarenka had that impressive run at the start of the year? The minute Serena strings together some wins and utilizes her power game and godly serve all of a sudden she's too much for her contemporaries and would be better suited playing men, why is that? She has the same tools every other player on the WTA tour has, so why does this conversation come up? I don't want to think that there is a deeper rooted issue as to why she is always thrown into this conversation but ultimately there is. All these scenarios taking men's ranking and surface into account and saying she might win a few games are insane. Serena is a woman and plays woman's tennis. That is why there's 2 different tours, there's no grey area.

Couldn't have said this any better myself!

:worship::worship:

Diesel
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:22 PM

Exactly

RVD
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:40 PM
I've seen topics like this come up before on this board and I find them incredibly insulting. For the record, I don't think Errani meant to offend Serena and taken at face value her comment is complimentary. That being said, I feel like it's ultimately a cop out. When someone beats you 1 and 2 and all you can do is sit there and contemplate who would be stiffer competition for her says something about you. It's not Serena's fault that she seems to beat players so handily as of late. She's playing with a renewed purpose in the twilight of her career and it is truly a thing of beauty to see. The women simply need to get better to catch up with her, that's the bottom line. The idea that Serena should play against men is ridiculous and it's just another dig at her. Was anyone having this conversation when Justine was decimating players left and right or when Azarenka had that impressive run at the start of the year? The minute Serena strings together some wins and utilizes her power game and godly serve all of a sudden she's too much for her contemporaries and would be better suited playing men, why is that? She has the same tools every other player on the WTA tour has, so why does this conversation come up? I don't want to think that there is a deeper rooted issue as to why she is always thrown into this conversation but ultimately there is. All these scenarios taking men's ranking and surface into account and saying she might win a few games are insane. Serena is a woman and plays woman's tennis. That is why there's 2 different tours, there's no grey area.Great post!!

NashaMasha
Sep 9th, 2012, 01:55 PM

not true .... In Madrid she mught even reach a TB against a servebot with mediocre ROS.. Just give Serena fast low bouncing surface and with her placement of serve she can hold her serve even playing versus men... There won't be any rallies. I am absolutely sure that 4 aces in row vs Radwanska would have been 4 aces in a row vs a half of top 100 ATP players . Federer with the speed 115-125mph is making aces in ATP tour with ease , because of the placement of serve

of course, on plexicushion Serena won;t have any chance, but these super slow surfaces were made intentioanlly to decrease power factor in tennis.

RVD
Sep 9th, 2012, 05:38 PM
not true .... In Madrid she mught even reach a TB against a servebot with mediocre ROS.. Just give Serena fast low bouncing surface and with her placement of serve she can hold her serve even playing versus men... There won't be any rallies. I am absolutely sure that 4 aces in row vs Radwanska would have been 4 aces in a row vs a half of top 100 ATP players . Federer with the speed 115-125mph is making aces in ATP tour with ease , because of the placement of serve

of course, on plexicushion Serena won;t have any chance, but these super slow surfaces were made intentioanlly to decrease power factor in tennis.Thank you for this gem of a post!

By far the most salient points made on this topic, IMHO.

I purposely remained on the sideline in order to read the pervading opinions on this topic, and again, as is so often the case on TF.com, there are more posters speaking from a position of "belief" than "facts".

From my point of view, I see no reason why Serena couldn't hang with ATP players well above the 500 rank. I also do not think people understand just how close female athletes are to the male counterpart of today...in any sport in general... either.

From my own experience, I've watched my 16 year old daughter, who was 14 at the time, put both of her Kung-Fu and Kick-Boxing senseis (master, teacher, instructor) on the mat clutching at the area she nearly broke bones at. And this, after I warned them not to underestimate her.
What does that have to do with this discussion?
Well, it means that she kicked master's ass because he underestimated her ability and potential.
JUST like people in this thread are doing with Serena.

And by the way, no male student wants to face her.

In my 'opinion', the question isn't really whether Serena can defeat or hang with ANY ATP player, but that the question, in and of itself, is being asked once again at this stage in Tennis history. (BJK being the first).

I just read an incredible quote today, written in an equally incredible article, posted by SerenaMJ: http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost.php?p=22172953&postcount=185...
The difference between Serena live and Serena on TV is greater than the difference between Roger Federer live and Roger Federer on TV; I'm not kidding. She is just — and I mean, you can spot this with one eye closed from the top row of a stadium — playing a different sport from her opponents. This is true to the point that I kept taking that famous Bobby Jones quote about Jack Nicklaus ("[He] plays a game with which I am not familiar") and applying it to her in more and more general ways, trying to find the right level ("She occupies an order of being with which I am [explodes]").
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8343811/serena-williams-conqueror?fb_action_ids=4691176600243&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582Who other than Federer and possibly Nadal could possibly garner such praise from the media on the mens side, let alone womans side?
All this isn't to suggest that Serena could defeat the best ATP players, of course. But I could easily see her racking up a respectable number of games per set.

Just one man's two cents, and 'NO', I am not looking to debate this topic, as there is no realistic answer unless Serena does in fact play some of the male players.

Aside:
Anyone who still operates under the misguided notion that Serena is embraced by America at large should give the above posted article a good long leisurely read. :angel::devil:

kris719
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:12 PM

of course, on plexicushion Serena won;t have any chance, but these super slow surfaces were made intentioanlly to decrease power factor in tennis.

It also decreases her power factor though, not just the men's power factor.

faboozadoo15
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Serena and Djokovic doing all the play:lol:

Mardy was much better than Novak in this match...

danieln1
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:34 PM
She should thank Serena that she didnt receive another Golden Set :oh:

chuvack
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Where are all the usual suspects who come into these threads foaming at the mouth, shouting, "Serena couldn't even win a single point against the 1000th ranked male!!" and so on and so on... it's obvious to anyone who knows tennis that Serena's serve would cause plenty of problems for ATP players, and she would win some service games against them, although I don't think she could win any return games.

One point thats worth marking: McEnroe, Borg, and Connors did not serve as hard as Serena today. They topped out at 115, and 110 was a fast serve for them.

kris719
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Where are all the usual suspects who come into these threads foaming at the mouth, shouting, "Serena couldn't even win a single point against the 1000th ranked male!!" and so on and so on... it's obvious to anyone who knows tennis that Serena's serve would cause plenty of problems for ATP players, and she would win some service games against them, although I don't think she could win any return games.

One point thats worth marking: McEnroe, Borg, and Connors did not serve as hard as Serena today. They topped out at 115, and 110 was a fast serve for them.

everybody knows that rackets were twigs back then compared to what they are now.

moby
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:14 PM
She'd probably get a game even against some top 100 players simply because it's hard to stay mentally focused for a double bagel win. Men are not used to playing all their return games with full intensity, and Serena has the serve to take advantage of that sort of lapse.

I think outside of the top 500, there might be some well-competed (by not necessarily competitive) sets, but the result will still be NID.

NashaMasha
Sep 9th, 2012, 08:51 PM
It also decreases her power factor though, not just the men's power factor.

yes I mean the same , Serena will have a chance vs men only on grass and "blueclay" All the surfaces slowed down against ATP's servebots will be too slow and too high bouncing .. Djokovic at US Open was able to return all balls back with ease coming from Del Potro's forehand with increadible speed . It's more like red clay of 90s now . Now even RG looks faster

everybody knows that rackets were twigs back then compared to what they are now.

Ferrer top speed 123 MPH , average 110 mph , average 2nd serve 91 MPH
Djokovic top speed 127 MPH , average 112 mph , average 2nd serve 92 MPH
Serena top speed 124 MPH , average 111 mph , average 2nd serve 89 MPH

yes i know about kick serve, more spin with serve etc, but Serena has perfect placement of her serves and her serves wide and in T are unpredictable ......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ap62qw6mrc

smarties
Sep 9th, 2012, 08:56 PM
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1360/1618999-her_name_is_rio_aw_jeez_not_this_shit_again2.jpg

MariaKirilenko95
Sep 9th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Hahahahaha. She wouldn't beat anyone in the top 500. She probably wouldn't even beat a retired Agassi or Sampras.

Serena = GOAT
Sep 9th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Everyone who thinks Serena could be competitive against a top 1000 male is bad at watching tennis and should consider pursuing an activity they actually can comprehend.

Adrian.
Sep 9th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Everyone who thinks Serena could be competitive against a top 1000 male is bad at watching tennis and should consider pursuing an activity they actually can comprehend.

you say this as Serena fan? :unsure::spit:

some of the top 1000 guys would be bageld by Rena on grass/fast hardcourt :bigwave:

Serena = GOAT
Sep 9th, 2012, 10:26 PM
you say this as Serena fan? :unsure::spit:That should say something, no?some of the top 1000 guys would be bageld by Rena on grass/fast hardcourt :bigwave:Two questions: have you seen Serena play live? Have you watched a male Futures match live?

I'm guessing you can't answer yes to both questions, otherwise you would think different about this.

KeysisGOAT
Sep 9th, 2012, 10:36 PM
I've seen topics like this come up before on this board and I find them incredibly insulting. For the record, I don't think Errani meant to offend Serena and taken at face value her comment is complimentary.

Did you read what she said in context?

That being said, I feel like it's ultimately a cop out.

Except that it wasn't a cop out at all. She said that male tennis players bitch about women's tennis (factual observation), that Serena hits harder than any men she practices with (complimentary joke) and that it would be interesting to see Serena play a top-500 ranked man (which it would be. Especially if a spectacle was made). She made no excuses for getting beaten.

When someone beats you 1 and 2 and all you can do is sit there and contemplate who would be stiffer competition for her says something about you.

And saying someone said something that they actually didn't says something about your readong comprehension.

It's not Serena's fault that she seems to beat players so handily as of late. She's playing with a renewed purpose in the twilight of her career and it is truly a thing of beauty to see. The women simply need to get better to catch up with her, that's the bottom line.

Riiight, it's not Serena's fault that she's the best player on tour. She deserves no praise for being the dominant player when she's on form. Nope, it's everyone else's fault for not being good enough and stepping up. :rolleyes:

The idea that Serena should play against men is ridiculous and it's just another dig at her.

No, it's not. It's Errani saying something that's been taken out of context such that it looks like a dig at Serena. Not everything is an insult.

Was anyone having this conversation when Justine was decimating players left and right or when Azarenka had that impressive run at the start of the year?

For Henin, probably in the same way that people do now about Serena (read: never seriously and with the overwhelming majority saying she'd get creamed). For Azarenka, she was content to say she'd like to play with herself.

The minute Serena strings together some wins and utilizes her power game and godly serve all of a sudden she's too much for her contemporaries and would be better suited playing men, why is that?

Because you're taking a quote out of context literally.

She has the same tools every other player on the WTA tour has, so why does this conversation come up?

Because Serena's the most powerful, dominant player on tour. The latter mostly because of the former.

I don't want to think that there is a deeper rooted issue as to why she is always thrown into this conversation but ultimately there is. All these scenarios taking men's ranking and surface into account and saying she might win a few games are insane. Serena is a woman and plays woman's tennis. That is why there's 2 different tours, there's no grey area.

Yes, and the reason there are two separate tours (other than the political/financial/historical reason) is the fact that physically, men are better suited for sports such as tennis. They are able to move faster, hit the ball harder and with more spin. The people saying Serena would struggle to win points and games are right. For better or for worse there's not a relevant man on the ATP tour that wouldn't dominate Serena.

TheHangover
Sep 9th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Hahahahaha. She wouldn't beat anyone in the top 500. She probably wouldn't even beat a retired Agassi or Sampras.

a retired agassi beat the number 500

rockbottom
Sep 9th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Trust me on this, #500 is the same as #1400. The only diff between top 20 and top 1000 is mental and confidence. The power and speed is pretty much the same. Do you think guys in the top 20 serve any harder than top 1400? they're just more consistent and mentally tough with their placement. But the power and speed is the same..in fact if anything the younger guys in college that are in the top 1400 are even quicker and faster than the older guys in the top 20.

I know it seems like Serena is GOAT out there but it's only because she's playing "other" women. But she won't fare well at all even with a top rank college player simply because she won't be able to handle the men's serve but importantly it's the quickness and speed of men's play that NO women can overcome at the moment. Maybe in the next century when the game continues to evolve, just maybe.

Direwolf
Sep 9th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Cant even defeat Azarenka...

dencod16
Sep 10th, 2012, 12:07 AM
It depends on what Serena comes in, she can top 100. If she comes out in the zone like Olympics i can see her being competitive with some guys around 150-300 even top 100, though with her it's hard to expect it TBH.

rockbottom
Sep 10th, 2012, 12:16 AM
^ ^ ^ You have no clue about tennis. There's guys in the ATP top 50 like Olivier Rochus, Nishikori who don't have big serves and don't hit the ball hard nearly as some in the top 800 who have serves like Roddick and Isner ok do you understand??? GAME OVER!!! there's no chance for her to return 135+ miles serves.

charmedRic
Sep 10th, 2012, 12:29 AM

bahahahahahahahahahaha