PDA

View Full Version : Wrong tactic: Errani´s coach told her to defend

Beny
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:49 PM
:tape:
If only she came up agressive and going for her shots, the match would have been more interesting.

Errani coach :facepalm:

rnwerner
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I disagree.

Her tactics were just right, absolutely brillant.

But Serena is so much better that you could not see it.

But the tactics were right.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Doesn't matter what she did. Serena's weight of shot is too much for her. You can hear the difference on the strings.

ShiftyFella
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:58 PM
Errani would lose it anyway, why spend energy when you have double final?

Sammo
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Errrani's coach looks retarded

edificio
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:02 AM
I thought she should have been a little more aggressive, but then she might have seen the ball whizzing by her into the court and out more often. Tough matchup for her.

lloyders76
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:05 AM
was never going to out-hit serena,

only real hope was frustrating serena with her defense and capitalising on her becoming frustrated/missing. makes tactical sense to me

manu32
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:08 AM
Errani is a bad looser,btw..she should be happy ? Bad news today

dencod16
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:12 AM
She only got aggressive in the end because Serena let her, if you see the final game she was missing a lot cause she doesn't have it in her to hit winners. She was just told to do her best game which is defense and against Serena that's the best tactic, because ti might annoy her and make her miss.

azinna
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:14 AM
That would have meant giving Serena just enough pace -- Sara can't do more -- to make it easier to hit winners.

The only kind of aggressive shot that could have troubled Serena were Sara's occasional angled and heavily spun forehands. But she needed time to set those up and make them. Serena never let her have any, even when hitting at 80%, which is likely what Venus recommended.

Beny
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:15 AM
was never going to out-hit serena,

only real hope was frustrating serena with her defense and capitalising on her becoming frustrated/missing. makes tactical sense to me

Disagree.

Stosur wasnt going to outhit Serena last year, but she did.

Errani today, when she went for her shots, she hit winners.
She didnt take many risks returning Serena´s 2nd serves (because her tactic was to keep the ball in play and make Serena miss, which is obviously not going to happen when Serena is in a form like this, not enough to win at least) but when she did, she was winning.

Even Errani (who has a similar style to Stosur) can put pressure on Serena and go for her shots. She should have done that, try to come forward and attack with her forehand. Instead she decided to stick to 2 metres behind the baseline and wait for Serena to hit....... a winner

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:18 AM
Wait!
There is a school of though that gave birth to this idea.

It was recently given new life and credibility by Ricardo Sanchez.
This school of thought argues, when playing Serena, you need to do everything possible to keep the rallies as long long as possible.

Taken to the extreme, some players would rather keep the rallies going than hit and winner where there is chance.
After all, the coach says, the longer the rally, the higher your chance is to win the point.

To these players, attempting to hit a winner is equivalent to take a chance, to hit a low percentage shots, something coaches also advise against.
So they opt for prolonging the rallies

Miracle Worker
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Agree.

I mean, Sara was able to keep ball in play, but Serena even didn't have to run at all :o

TheHangover
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:21 AM
what are you talking about, how you can be aggressive if your opponent's ball is twice faster? The only thing she could have done was o bit more of bh slices as serena doesn't like them, vinci could have won more games

sweetadri06
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:22 AM
That's a good tactic, get Serena into rallies were she typically can become frustrated. But there really was no chance, Errani does not have much pace on her shots so most of the time that won't hurt Serena.

lloyders76
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Disagree.

She didnt take many risks returning Serena´s 2nd serves (because her tactic was to keep the ball in play and make Serena miss, which is obviously not going to happen when Serena is in a form like this, not enough to win at least) but when she did, she was winning.

Even Errani (who has a similar style to Stosur) can put pressure on Serena and go for her shots. She should have done that, try to come forward and attack with her forehand. Instead she decided to stick to 2 metres behind the baseline and wait for Serena to hit....... a winner

come on now!

jameshazza
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Well, can she attack?

b2b
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Agree.

I mean, Sara was able to keep ball in play, but Serena even didn't have to run at all :o

sarin did run on quite a few rallies, i say 10+

again, like most posters said, sara did what was best for her, going deep with top spin to generate errors in sarin.it's just not working today.

if she tried to be more aggressive more often, UEes would easily flush in. Sarin wouldn't have really to run by then.

Morrissey
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Disagree.

Are you insane? You CANNOT compare Stosur to Errani because Samantha has a huge serve, and powerful groundstrokes. Sara has a crappy junior bush league serve and doesn't have the power game to bother Serena.

young_gunner913
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:55 AM
:spit:

She played the right tactics today to try and get Serena into long rallies and frustrate her but Serena was focused, determined and disciplined for the most part which lead to a beat down. If Sara had actually tried to be more aggressive, she probably would've had a worse scoreline. She was never going to beat/test/trouble Serena. The best thing she could do was try and annoy Serena into hitting some errors to get a few games on the board.

roguedandelion
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:02 AM
I don't understand why she didn't try more slices and drop shots. They were all highballs right in her strike zone.

roguedandelion
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Well, can she attack?

That too :rolls:

TennisSLO
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Errani did a good job, didn't get bagelled. :hatoff:

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:08 AM
I don't understand why she didn't try more slices and drop shots. They were all highballs right in her strike zone.
If this was Davenport, this match would have lasted 40 minutes.

That is Lindsey wheel house, short high balls with nothing on them.

Trih
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:11 AM
... :facepalm:

JamieOwen3
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:16 AM
OMG this thread ACTUALLY exists :hysteric:

faboozadoo15
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:17 AM
She had the right tactics probably. It was her best bet to try to junk ball and mix the pace and go for her shots when she has the chance. Did she serve into the body enough?

Even if everything was clicking for her, it was always going to be a huge uphill battle where she would have needed to knock Serena off her game and make her uncomfortable.

The Dawntreader
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:19 AM
What was she going to do with her pedestrian game? Hit aces and crack early-ball winners? Even junk like people seem to be suggesting, wasn't going to work today.

faboozadoo15
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:33 AM
What's a winning tactic against Serena Williams playing her best anyway? Play like a legend.... or play like Henin or Capriati.

TennisSLO
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Btw is Errani's serve getting worse and worse? Cause in 2008 AO R1 against Davenport she hit 5 aces, now I never see her serve a single one...

Chim
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:41 AM
Disagree.

This is really the first time I hear someone comparing Stosur's game with Errani. You must be a huge fan of Errani. What an insult!!! :help: :lol:

Beny
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:48 PM

German commentator said that Errani´s coach told Sara not to try to make any "theatre" (shots). He allegedly told her not to play dropshots, tricky shots, try to outsmart Serena. Anything like that.
He told her to (try to) beat Serena with Sara´s weapons and Sara´s natural game, what she does the best, which is the opposite of attacking according to him.

To translate it into real language - he basically told her she is too weak to beat Serena, she shouldnt even try to hit through, try hit any winners, that´s what Serena will do because she is the best at it, you just stay back and defend, try to get some chances and take them, dont expect too much.

I´ve seen Sara attack. She can do it. It was worth trying, rather than the coward tactic...

Sammo
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:48 PM
This is really the first time I hear someone comparing Stosur's game with Errani. You must be a huge fan of Errani. What an insult!!! :help: :lol:

Or a huge Stosur hater

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:50 PM
If only she came up agressive and going for her shots, the match would have been more interesting...

...It would have made no difference.

Beny
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:52 PM

Look at my sig. Im actually a big fan of Sam.

To me, Errani is like a wannabe-Stosur. Trying too hard smetimes to play or look like playing like Stosur. That serve and forehand (only difference is Stosur´s have way more weight on them and top spin of course).

When I first saw Errani play I thought it was ridiculous and thought she would never win anything because her game is so useless.

But that RG semifinal, I will never forgive it Sam (Im sure she cares a lot :lol: ). Anyway, Sam - the one with the genuine Stosur shots, heave serve and forehand, gets beaten by a player with those same (-looking) shots only 90 % weaker....?! It´s like a very bad fake Stosur beats the real Stosur.

So yeah, Errani defeated Stosur, she is putting more and more topspin on her shots. Their games look similar, only Sara´s is like million times softer (...and still she manages to beat so many people :facepalm: )

Miracle Worker
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:09 PM
German commentator said that Errani´s coach told Sara not to try to make any "theatre" (shots). He allegedly told her not to play dropshots, tricky shots, try to outsmart Serena. Anything like that.
He told her to (try to) beat Serena with Sara´s weapons and Sara´s natural game, what she does the best, which is the opposite of attacking according to him.

To translate it into real language - he basically told her she is too weak to beat Serena, she shouldnt even try to hit through, try hit any winners, that´s what Serena will do because she is the best at it, you just stay back and defend, try to get some chances and take them, dont expect too much.

I´ve seen Sara attack. She can do it. It was worth trying, rather than the coward tactic...

Seriously? :weirdo:

Of course she wouldn't win with different game, but still she had chance to win more than 2 games :o

doomsday
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Well, she can't do anything else.:lol:

tejmeglekvár
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Thread sounds like Sarita has full armory with tactics and weapons, and can do anything she wants on court.

Well, not really. :spit:

Sammo
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:47 AM
Look at my sig. Im actually a big fan of Sam.

To me, Errani is like a wannabe-Stosur. Trying too hard smetimes to play or look like playing like Stosur. That serve and forehand (only difference is Stosur´s have way more weight on them and top spin of course).

When I first saw Errani play I thought it was ridiculous and thought she would never win anything because her game is so useless.

But that RG semifinal, I will never forgive it Sam (Im sure she cares a lot :lol: ). Anyway, Sam - the one with the genuine Stosur shots, heave serve and forehand, gets beaten by a player with those same (-looking) shots only 90 % weaker....?! It´s like a very bad fake Stosur beats the real Stosur.

So yeah, Errani defeated Stosur, she is putting more and more topspin on her shots. Their games look similar, only Sara´s is like million times softer (...and still she manages to beat so many people :facepalm: )

Oh sorry Beny I didn't see it was you lol

égalité
Sep 9th, 2012, 01:20 AM
And when she saw that it wasn't working, she just kept doing the same thing? :spit:

Hitting some slices and drop shots would have at least made the match closer. Playing defensively doesn't have to mean hitting a high loopy ball on the service line right in Serena Williams's strike zone every time.

bobcat
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Yeah, she had to use things like slices, drop shots, high lobs, and sneak attacks into the net if she wanted to have any chance of bothering Serena. She needs to watch old footage of ASV boring her opponents to death using these kinds of tactics.

Marcoo
Sep 9th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Errani played really good, just like she should play, but Serena was just too good.

Sombrerero loco
Sep 9th, 2012, 10:26 AM
how can she be agressive against serena with that serve? also when serena serving, she cant be agressive too, plus she is not a really agressive player so...

sammy01
Sep 9th, 2012, 11:25 AM
only thing errani could have done which would have helped her was serve better. yep her serve is wank, but she could have at least gone for her serves and tried to earn some cheap points. spinning 1st serves in might work against 95% of the erratic wta returners but this was serena she was against.

jj74
Sep 9th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Wait!
There is a school of though that gave birth to this idea.

It was recently given new life and credibility by Ricardo Sanchez.
This school of thought argues, when playing Serena, you need to do everything possible to keep the rallies as long long as possible.

Taken to the extreme, some players would rather keep the rallies going than hit and winner where there is chance.
After all, the coach says, the longer the rally, the higher your chance is to win the point.

To these players, attempting to hit a winner is equivalent to take a chance, to hit a low percentage shots, something coaches also advise against.
So they opt for prolonging the rallies

And that school of thought is totally right. You need to keep Serena moving, and long rallies increase the posibilies to defeat her.
Unfortunately (for her rivals) make long rallies against her is not that easy, you need to be fast, and a good defensive players, and of course you need ofensive weapons.
To have a real chance, you need to be more like Henin and less like Errani, who has a weak serve, wich means easy points on the return for Serena, and not enough power to make the rallies long

Lord Choc Ice
Sep 9th, 2012, 12:41 PM
If only she came up agressive and going for her shots, the match would have been more interesting.

Errani coach :facepalm:

As if she has any shots to go for :oh:.

marineblue
Sep 9th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I think the coach was right. At Wimbledon Radwanska took a set of Serena with her defensive approach,compared to that Sharapova who plays aggressively was crushed by Serena at the OG.

tennisbum79
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:04 PM
I think the coach was right. At Wimbledon Radwanska took a set of Serena with her defensive approach,compared to that Sharapova who plays aggressively was crushed by Serena at the OG.

I don't think Maria's situation is comparable to any other.
it is almost personal on Serena's part. She is resolute that Maria will never another set if she can help it

tennisbum79
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:30 PM
And that school of thought is totally right. You need to keep Serena moving, and long rallies increase the posibilies to defeat her.
Unfortunately (for her rivals) make long rallies against her is not that easy, you need to be fast, and a good defensive players, and of course you need ofensive weapons.
To have a real chance, you need to be more like Henin and less like Errani, who has a weak serve, wich means easy points on the return for Serena, and not enough power to make the rallies long

But it has not worked.
Henin was very competitive against Serena not she was keeping rallies, but because she was simply talented and many other goin for her.

Great players are always offensive minded, it is in their DNA.
Show me a good defensive player, and I'll show you a "one-slam wonder" or "the best player who never won a major"

look at the graat players, Maria, Vika, Venus, Serena, Davenport, Jencap, Seles, Pierce, Graf, Hingis, Martina Nav, etc...
All agressive