PDA

View Full Version : Planning to visit US Open 2013

Maria rocks
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Anybody know the best places to stay? Best places to book tickets? Any help would be much appreciated:)

producer88
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:09 PM
I live in NYC, and I went to the Open this year for the first time, and it was AWESOME! I recommend going for the first week if you want to see A LOT of tennis! If you want to see great matches go the 2nd week. If you can do both! To be honest I don't buy my tickets directly from Ticketmaster, I get mines from Ticketmaster-Exchange, for the 1st week it's A LOT less expensive (paid $25 for ground admission, and $100 for level 100 seating at Arthur Ashe). Second week on ticket exchange isn't a good idea, because the prices tend to be higher than on Ticketmaster.

Now NYC, is a HUGE city! There's millions of things to do, at whatever hour! The 7 train which takes you from Manhattan to Flushing (where the US Open takes place) is a 20 minute ride (the express, local about 40 minutes). I always recommend staying in Manhattan, because it's usually safer, and that's where all the fun is located!

Maria rocks
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I live in NYC, and I went to the Open this year for the first time, and it was AWESOME! I recommend going for the first week if you want to see A LOT of tennis! If you want to see great matches go the 2nd week. If you can do both! To be honest I don't buy my tickets directly from Ticketmaster, I get mines from Ticketmaster-Exchange, for the 1st week it's A LOT less expensive (paid $25 for ground admission, and $100 for level 100 seating at Arthur Ashe). Second week on ticket exchange isn't a good idea, because the prices tend to be higher than on Ticketmaster.

Now NYC, is a HUGE city! There's millions of things to do, at whatever hour! The 7 train which takes you from Manhattan to Flushing (where the US Open takes place) is a 20 minute ride (the express, local about 40 minutes). I always recommend staying in Manhattan, because it's usually safer, and that's where all the fun is located!

Thanks very much for your help, I have noted all this down xx

mdterp01
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Producer88 pretty much laid it down well, but when u r talking about NY and the US Open it really depends on your budget (and I don't want to be nosey and get into your finances) so it's so hard to give that kind of advice without having a ballpark figure. The info regarding booking tickets was spot on, but when you are talking "best places to stay" I'm a Four Seasons lover so that's what's going to come to mind for me. It overlooks Central Park and is close to the best shopping area in NY. Manhattan has an array of nice hotels with varying prices depending on amenities. If u don't want to spend much money on a hotel then there are options there as.well. I do agree that Manhattan is the best place to stay, but how old are u? Do u want to go clubbing at night and/or interested in a wide array of restaurants? Are u one of those people who just wants a clean hotel in a safe area that doesn't cost much because u won't be in the hotel room that much? Are u going for the whole 2 weeks? I mean there's so many options when you are talking about New York.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:47 PM
Don't forget that Qualies are free, and you get to see great tennis as well.

Hotels in Manhattan are expensive, so don't be surprised by sticker shock. If you want somewhere cheaper, investigate maybe hotels near the airport.

Maria rocks
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Producer88 pretty much laid it down well, but when u r talking about NY and the US Open it really depends on your budget (and I don't want to be nosey and get into your finances) so it's so hard to give that kind of advice without having a ballpark figure. The info regarding booking tickets was spot on, but when you are talking "best places to stay" I'm a Four Seasons lover so that's what's going to come to mind for me. It overlooks Central Park and is close to the best shopping area in NY. Manhattan has an array of nice hotels with varying prices depending on amenities. If u don't want to spend much money on a hotel then there are options there as.well. I do agree that Manhattan is the best place to stay, but how old are u? Do u want to go clubbing at night and/or interested in a wide array of restaurants? Are u one of those people who just wants a clean hotel in a safe area that doesn't cost much because u won't be in the hotel room that much? Are u going for the whole 2 weeks? I mean there's so many options when you are talking about New York.

Im 32 but will be attending with my mother. We just want a hotel near to shopping and restaurants that kind of thing. Hoping to spend most of our time at the tennis. Im not rich or anything but this is a once in a lifetime trip so not going to be doing things on the cheap.

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Anybody know the best places to stay? Best places to book tickets? Any help would be much appreciated:)

If you want the best combination of price, HOTEL, being very close to Manhattan, but close to interesting parts of kool and "en vogue" Brooklyn, while still taking the train to the National Tennis Center (F to 7 train), stay at the Brooklyn Marriott. I think the Offical name is Brooklyn Bridge Marriot, or some sorts. :lol:

Needless to say, there a kazillion nice hotels to stay at in the city, all depending on your your price, style, planned activities and vicinity/proximity. But that hotel is at a nice location-walk able to the Brooklyn Bridge, should be cheaper than comparably priced hotels in Manhattan, and has a reputation for excellent service (especially if you plan to be there a week or two).

The Hotels around Times Square, Grand Central, Lexington, Park Ave Ave-near the 50's, and anything close to the E, F and 7 Train, will get you there quite easily.

Only you know what type of hotel you want to stay at and close to where. So call in advance, or make the best deal, then book it.

Just check some of the Zagats, Tripadvisor, Yelp, City Search, etc. customer and editorial reviews as you do your search to help.

Some of the advice you got previously received on the 1st week vs the 2nd week of the tournament, was good advice.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM
^ Brooklyn Marriott - A train around the corner (Jay St.) Will take you directly to 42nd in Manhattan. There, you can take the 7 train to Met Stadium/Willet Pt. Arthur Ashe is on the other side. This will take about 1 hr to 90 minutes.

Maria rocks
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:03 PM
If you want the best combination of price, HOTEL, being very close to Manhattan, but close to interesting parts of kool and "en vogue" Brooklyn, while still taking the train to the National Tennis Center (F to 7 train), stay at the Brooklyn Marriott. I think the Offical name is Brooklyn Bridge Marriot, or some sorts. :lol:

Needless to say, there a kazillion nice hotels to stay at in the city, all depending on your your price, style, planned activities and vicinity/proximity. But that hotel is at a nice location-walk able to the Brooklyn Bridge, should be cheaper than comparably priced hotels in Manhattan, and has a reputation for excellent service (especially if you plan to be there a week or two).

The Hotels around Times Square, Grand Central, Lexington, Park Ave Ave-near the 50's, and anything close to the E, F and 7 Train, will get you there quite easily.

Only you know what type of hotel you want to stay at and close to where. So call in advance, or make the best deal, then book it.

Just check some of the Zagats, Tripadvisor, Yelp, City Search, etc. customer and editorial reviews as you do your search to help.

Some of the advice you got previously received on the 1st week vs the 2nd week of the tournament, was good advice.

Thank you very much just looked up Brooklyn Bridge Marriott looks nice and reasonably priced and it had a link to other Marriott's round the same area too so thanks very much xxxxxx

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM
^ Brooklyn Marriott - A train around the corner (Jay St.) Will take you directly to 42nd in Manhattan. There, you can take the 7 train to Met Stadium/Willet Pt. Arthur Ashe is on the other side. This will take about 1 hr to 90 minutes.

He/she can also take the F to 74 St/Roosevelt Ave (in Queens), and that will transfer her directly to the 7 train.

I just figured, depending on what he/she was looking for, they could get both the benefits of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and a decent hotel at a decent price (though that hotel is certainly not cheap). :lol:

It all depends on what they're looking for, that's why I said check some of the trip adviser, City Search, Zagat, Yelp, Urban Spoon, etc., ratings.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:11 PM
MariaRocks:

This map will be your guide during your stay. Memorize it :p

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Arthur Ashe is in the big green section (Flushing Meadows) on the mid right of the page, in Queens.

Jimmie48
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Make sure to bring an umbrella...

Maria rocks
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:12 PM
He/she can also take the F to 74 St/Roosevelt Ave (in Queens), and that will transfer her directly to the 7 train.

I just figured, depending on what he/she was looking for, they could get both the benefits of Manhattan, Brooklyn, and a decent hotel at a decent price (though that hotel is certainly not cheap). :lol:

It all depends on what they're looking for, that's why I said check some of the trip adviser, City Search, Zagat, Yelp, Urban Spoon, etc., ratings.

Its cheaper than the four seasons ha ha

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Make sure to bring an umbrella...
But not a huge one-- USTA will make you dump it before entering.

Maria rocks
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:15 PM
MariaRocks:

This map will be your guide during your stay. Memorize it :p

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

Arthur Ashe is in the big green section (Flushing Meadows) on the mid right of the page, in Queens.

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Thank you very much just looked up Brooklyn Bridge Marriott looks nice and reasonably priced and it had a link to other Marriott's round the same area too so thanks very much xxxxxx

Yeah, and it's in close proximity to Dumbo, Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Boreum Hill, all some of the best neighborhoods in the entire City, with interesting dining or walking.

Plus, it's a quick train ride or walk into Manhattan, lower Manhattan, and the neighborhoods/business/historical districts there.

It's not as quick a ride as the midtown hotels to the US Tennis Center. But it's not nearly as crowded or expensive as comparably priced hotels in midtown. And the F train (which you can catch behind) is a nice train (cleaner and more spacious than the 7, though the 7 is not dirty, just slightly older, smaller trains). The F trains are brand new, mostly and wider.

The Hotel has two towers. They just built a new, taller second one (I think it's the one with the Morton's steakhouse at the bottom). There's a bridge that connects the two.

Maria rocks
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:16 PM
But not a huge one-- USTA will make you dump it before entering.

I don't bother with brollies. They are a nuisance i just put my hood up if it rains.

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:22 PM
@Maria Rocks

Some of the more expensive midtown hotels, like the Hemsley Palace, and others on the Eastside (between 5th and 2nd Ave, from 42nd to 59th st), many times have specials, if you watch/follow them. But my guess is (unless you book way in advance) you wouldn't get the best deals around US Open time. Lol But you can check that as well.

tonybotz
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:25 PM
ugh save your money. i've been going since i was a kid, and only went once this year. it's become all about getting every dollar they can out of you. it's really a disgrace the way they treat the "customers". and it's become a total police state. very sad to see. but thats america for you.

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Its cheaper than the four seasons ha ha

OH.

I forgot to mention (if you didn't notice when you looked it up), there's a TKTS Booth, right behind the hotel where you can get discounted tickets on Broadway shows, etc. :eek: :lol: :eek:

And it's never nearly as crowded as the one in Times Square (and there's a Starbucks next door to it). The one in Times Square, you got to stand out in the elements, in the middle of the square.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:28 PM
If you plan to attend Arthur Ashe, bring binoculars. Also, remember to pack a jacket for night sessions, as it tends to get very cold.

Maria rocks
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:55 PM
@Maria Rocks

Some of the more expensive midtown hotels, like the Hemsley Palace, and others on the Eastside (between 5th and 2nd Ave, from 42nd to 59th st), many times have specials, if you watch/follow them. But my guess is (unless you book way in advance) you wouldn't get the best deals around US Open time. Lol But you can check that as well.

Im looking to book up as soon as possible. Hopefully next week if i can. Very exciting. Won't be able to go out for a whole year so i can afford it but oh my word going to be sooooooooooooo worth it.

Maria rocks
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. Ive noted it all down. Much appreciated:):) xx

ptkten
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:31 PM
If this is a one time thing, my advice is to spend a couple extra bucks to be in Manhattan. Brooklyn's nice, but it's no Manhattan and there's no substitute to being able to walk right outside your hotel into the madness that is Manhattan. There are cheaper options in Manhattan as long as you don't mind having less amenities. If you go back a second or third time, then you can stay in other neighborhoods and travel into Manhattan on the subway. For the tennis, as others have said, the 7 train is cheap and easy and gets you to the tennis in about 40 minutes or so.

Either way, have a great time. New York is one of the, if not the best city in the world.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:36 PM
If this is a one time thing, my advice is to spend a couple extra bucks to be in Manhattan. Brooklyn's nice, but it's no Manhattan and there's no substitute to being able to walk right outside your hotel into the madness that is Manhattan. There are cheaper options in Manhattan as long as you don't mind having less amenities. If you go back a second or third time, then you can stay in other neighborhoods and travel into Manhattan on the subway. For the tennis, as others have said, the 7 train is cheap and easy and gets you to the tennis in about 40 minutes or so.

Either way, have a great time. New York is one of the, if not the best city in the world.
You mean, a couple of extra $$$ :tape:

Brooklyn Marriott is right on the East River, and the trains take you right to the heart of Manhattan in 30 minutes.

kris719
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:22 PM
ugh save your money. i've been going since i was a kid, and only went once this year. it's become all about getting every dollar they can out of you. it's really a disgrace the way they treat the "customers". and it's become a total police state. very sad to see. but thats america for you.

don't listen to this guy, the only thing that sucks about the USO is having to pay $15 for a bad meal and being hungry again an hour later :tape: they should really lower ticket prices a bit since everyone is forced to pay a fortune to eat.

But really, the USO is an incredible event, you're going to have a blast.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:25 PM
don't listen to this guy, the only thing that sucks about the USO is having to pay $15 for a bad meal and being hungry again an hour later :tape: they should really lower ticket prices a bit since everyone is forced to pay a fortune to eat.

I paid $18 for a burger, fries and Coke.

Heinekens will cost you $8.

Vaidisova
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I just got back from NY and the Open.

I stayed at the Westin in Times Square and had tennis tickets for Friday and Sunday. :)

kris719
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:28 PM
I paid $18 for a burger, fries and Coke.

Heinekens will cost you $8.

I don't get why the US Open special beer cost more than heineken :lol:

18majors
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Don't be scared by the prices, it's worth it.

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:06 PM
You mean, a couple of extra $$$ :tape:

Brooklyn Marriott is right on the East River, and the trains take you right to the heart of Manhattan in 30 minutes.

Thiry?

Try 2-5min (depending where you're going of course)? But I know what you mean.

And you can walk into Manhattan, and have the view from your hotel.

Plus it all depends what you want. Some people may not want "the madness" of Manhattan at their door step, while still being a few minutes away.

And depending on what you want, need, looking for (and how often you been to NY), staying near Brooklyn Heights, Dumbo, Cobble Hill, may be an ever better experience.

Though I would agree what the other poster meant for a "first time visitor" staying in Manhattan. I do. But you can walk into Manhattan from the Brooklyn Marriott. And for the level of service and amenities your going to get, it's a lot cheaper than an equivalent Manhattan Hotel.

It all depends on what people want/deem important.

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:07 PM

Agreed!

Maria rocks
Sep 16th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hey Guys, Just to let you all know ive booked the flights and Hotel. We will be staying at a hotel 15 mins walk from Flushing Meadows tennis called Paris Suites. Really can't wait now!!:):) Gonna book the tennis tics with Ticketmaster i think when they go on sale on November 6th. Thanks for all your help guys:):) xx

knoxt
Sep 16th, 2012, 01:42 PM
dont stay in broooklyn....

Excelscior
Sep 16th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hey Guys, Just to let you all know ive booked the flights and Hotel. We will be staying at a hotel 15 mins walk from Flushing Meadows tennis called Paris Suites. Really can't wait now!!:):) Gonna book the tennis tics with Ticketmaster i think when they go on sale on November 6th. Thanks for all your help guys:):) xx

OK Maria, Congrats.

That Hotel is near the highway (Long Island Expressway) and 108 st.

If you like Italian, there's an excellent/famous Italian Restaurant nearby called Parkside. You may want to check it out. If you do plan to go, make reservations. It can get very crowded, and you'd have to wait a decent time, if you have a decent sized party.

And if you're into ethnic foods (or if you're a foodie in general), there a lot of authentic Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, Indian-Pak-Bangladesh, Korean, Vietnamese, Columbian/South American, etc., restaurants in the surrounding neighborhoods of Flushing, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights and Corona.

You can also find some good American or fusion style restaurants in Forest Hills, near Queens Blvd and Ascan Ave.

Just go to Google, Yelp, City Search and Urban Spoon (NYC), and look them up.

But that Parkside Restaurant could be within walking distance of your hotel.

Tennis Fool
Sep 16th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Curious as why you choose Paris Suites (besides the obvious being right at Flushing Meadows)?

How long are you staying?

Excelscior
Sep 16th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Curious as why you choose Paris Suites (besides the obvious being right at Flushing Meadows)?

Come on, that's not nice to ask on the open board, unless you plan on making a similar trip yourself.

Obviously she had her reasons to choose that hotel, plus her reservations are already booked (though probably not payed for obviously).

LoveFifteen
Sep 16th, 2012, 04:17 PM
If you're going almost exclusively for the tennis, then staying in Queens in a cheap hotel makes a lot of sense. It can take a long time to get home from a night session.

Tennis Fool
Sep 16th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Come on, that's not nice to ask on the open board, unless you plan on making a similar trip yourself.

Obviously she had her reasons to choose that hotel, plus her reservations are already booked (though probably not payed for obviously).
Why? Just curious. :shrug: It's a fair question after asking for all the input.

pov
Sep 16th, 2012, 05:20 PM

IMO there's a lot that - from the perspective of enjoying tennis - sucks about the USO :shrug: Ashe stadium for one thing. The emphasis on spectacle rather than tennis for another.

That said - I think the first week rocks. Less people, less spectacle and more good tennis on courts other than Ashe. I like the quali days also. You get to see many top players practicing.

pov
Sep 16th, 2012, 05:22 PM
:eek: Holy crap. I don't think I've ever booked anything a year in advance.

kris719
Sep 16th, 2012, 06:38 PM
IMO there's a lot that - from the perspective of enjoying tennis - sucks about the USO :shrug: Ashe stadium for one thing. The emphasis on spectacle rather than tennis for another.

That said - I think the first week rocks. Less people, less spectacle and more good tennis on courts other than Ashe. I like the quali days also. You get to see many top players practicing.

Agreed for the most part, I usually stay away from Ashe.

shoparound
Sep 16th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Do not stay in Canal St!! Made the mistake of staying at the Sheraton there, and I arrived around 2AM in the morning, thought i was gonna get mugged

Maria rocks
Sep 17th, 2012, 04:40 PM
If you're going almost exclusively for the tennis, then staying in Queens in a cheap hotel makes a lot of sense. It can take a long time to get home from a night session.

This is what i thought. Thats why im staying there:)

Maria rocks
Sep 17th, 2012, 04:43 PM

Because i could afford it :lol:

Im staying for the whole of the first week:) Saturday 24th till Sat 31st. On the Sunday 25th i can do all the touristy things before the tennis starts:)

Maria rocks
Sep 17th, 2012, 04:44 PM
:eek: Holy crap. I don't think I've ever booked anything a year in advance.

Had to as all the Hotels are selling out already.

Maria rocks
Sep 17th, 2012, 04:46 PM
OK Maria, Congrats.

That Hotel is near the highway (Long Island Expressway) and 108 st.

If you like Italian, there's an excellent/famous Italian Restaurant nearby called Parkside. You may want to check it out. If you do plan to go, make reservations. It can get very crowded, and you'd have to wait a decent time, if you have a decent sized party.

And if you're into ethnic foods (or if you're a foodie in general), there a lot of authentic Chinese, Japanese, Malaysian, Indian-Pak-Bangladesh, Korean, Vietnamese, Columbian/South American, etc., restaurants in the surrounding neighborhoods of Flushing, Elmhurst, Jackson Heights and Corona.

You can also find some good American or fusion style restaurants in Forest Hills, near Queens Blvd and Ascan Ave.

Just go to Google, Yelp, City Search and Urban Spoon (NYC), and look them up.

But that Parkside Restaurant could be within walking distance of your hotel.

LoveFifteen
Sep 17th, 2012, 05:11 PM
This is what i thought. Thats why im staying there:)

That's a great idea. You'll get sick of riding the 7 train from Manhattan to Queens every day, and when a night match ends at 1:30 AM, you're going to want to sleep ASAP, not spend an hour on an extremely crowded train. If you're really doing the Open all day, you won't have time or energy for Manhattan anyway.

Also, Ashe stadium is nice. Ignore the haters. I assumed that it was a monstrosity because that's what I've read all these years on TF.com, but it's actually a very nice stadium, and you can see the tennis just fine even from the final row of seats. There are always some empty seats during both day and night sessions so it's pretty easy to pay for the cheapest seats, then move down to the great seats, especially at a night match that's going late.

Court 17 is fantastic. If you have a chance to see a good match there, you'll love it. I got to see Kim's final mixed doubles match there. The love was palpable and the atmosphere was amazing.

Tennis Fool
Sep 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM
That's a great idea. You'll get sick of riding the 7 train from Manhattan to Queens every day, and when a night match ends at 1:30 AM, you're going to want to sleep ASAP, not spend an hour on an extremely crowded train. If you're really doing the Open all day, you won't have time or energy for Manhattan anyway.

Also, Ashe stadium is nice. Ignore the haters. I assumed that it was a monstrosity because that's what I've read all these years on TF.com, but it's actually a very nice stadium, and you can see the tennis just fine even from the final row of seats. There are always some empty seats during both day and night sessions so it's pretty easy to pay for the cheapest seats, then move down to the great seats, especially at a night match that's going late.

Court 17 is fantastic. If you have a chance to see a good match there, you'll love it. I got to see Kim's final mixed doubles match there. The love was palpable and the atmosphere was amazing.
:rolls:

kris719
Sep 17th, 2012, 06:00 PM
anyone who says you can see tennis from the top of ashe is delusional or has never seen tennis before, sure you can see a little yellow thing flying around down there but I don't feel like I'm at a tennis match at all.

Also, I usually stay on the UWS and am at both day and night sessions. If you like just being part of the city like I do, nothing beats staying in Manhattan.

LoveFifteen
Sep 17th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I go to Legg Mason in DC every year, so I've seen plenty of tennis up close. You can see the match just fine from the highest seats in Ashe. I had read on TF.com for years that you could barely see the ball and the experience was a joke. That's completely the opposite of my experience. I could see the ball and players perfectly, and it was so much closer that what I had imagined based on reports. My tickets were never in the final row, but they were in the upper area of the stadium. I went back to the final row specifically to test the view during the Azarenka vs Zie match. You see everything fine.

Tennis Fool
Sep 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Yeah, looks great!

http://images.wikia.com/armchair-new/images/2/29/Arthur_Ashe_Stadium.jpg

LoveFifteen
Sep 17th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah, looks great!

http://images.wikia.com/armchair-new/images/2/29/Arthur_Ashe_Stadium.jpg

The camera image is nothing like the view in person. Your eyes aren't like a camera, which makes the court appear farther away. The court does not appear that far away in person, only in photos. Have you actually been in the upper seats in Ashe?

Charlatan
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM
:rolls:

:confused: There is nothing wrong about it. It's true that u can still have a very good view even from the top seats in ashe. The camera images are deceiving.

duhcity
Sep 17th, 2012, 08:11 PM
If you're interested in the nuance of the game - the true pace, spins etc., the upper tier is not for you. For most fans of the sport however, seeing the ball go back and forth, who makes the winner who makes the error etc. is enough. I find it a good lunch spot - take a break, talk to your friends, with tennis in the background.

I always make lists of these things so I'm lazy to type a new one out but here's some key stuff

1. No backpacks.
2. Bring a water bottle, a large one preferably - you can refill them.
3. If it's what you want, you can get a stamp on your hand and go outside the tennis center to eat. There's cheap food in flushing a 2 minute ride away, and there are carts in the park selling park food. This year, I particularly liked the Tomato, Mozzarella, Pesto panini that was 9.50.
4. You can easily enter Ashe stadium after the first night match - ask someone who looks like they are leaving for their ticket and you can catch the second match. Obviously be discrete about it.
5. Avoid labor day weekend. Really.
6. Bring a phone charger if you plan on being there all day. This year, the Chase booths had outlets if you asked very nicely.
7. New York is hot and humid when you're in the sun. It can be just as hot as the Australian Open on some days if you're sitting right in the sun.
8. Reentry ends at 6pm.
9. Ashe ushers get off work at 9:45pm during night sessions. Varies depending on night and crowd control generally, but 9:45 is a good jump-off point.

And yes - the US Open is a particularly expensive sporting event. If you like to drink, you can easily spend 200 dollars a day on top of your tickets.

shoparound
Sep 17th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Also remember the general tennis etiquettes:
Don't walk in a court's stands during a point.
Wait till changeover before getting up and leaving in front of everyone.
Be patient with the lines, but try to go in the stadiums as fast as you can (or you might get cut off when time is called)

tonybotz
Sep 18th, 2012, 01:15 AM
:confused: There is nothing wrong about it. It's true that u can still have a very good view even from the top seats in ashe. The camera images are deceiving.

ridiculous. i've been going to the open since 1995, pre-ashe, and i've spent many nights up in the last row of ashe stadium. the view sucks, but you still feel the electricity of the crowd. and there's a great view of the city from there. but you do feel like you're being ripped off.

aside from just the terrible view, where the players look like ants, the trek up to the last row is exhausting.

kris719
Sep 18th, 2012, 02:42 AM
we clearly have a disagreement here, to the OP: just don't expect too much if you're sitting at the top of ashe. maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't. to me, it's not tennis but it can still be an enjoyable atmosphere at night. I just would much rather go to 4,6,7,13 etc. and be right next to the court.

Charlatan
Sep 18th, 2012, 03:12 AM
ridiculous. i've been going to the open since 1995, pre-ashe, and i've spent many nights up in the last row of ashe stadium. the view sucks, but you still feel the electricity of the crowd. and there's a great view of the city from there. but you do feel like you're being ripped off.

aside from just the terrible view, where the players look like ants, the trek up to the last row is exhausting.

http://oi48.tinypic.com/2cggfus.jpg
This is how the view is from Pova-Bartoli match this year :wavey:

Believe me, the row I was sitting in is the same as this photo (http://images.wikia.com/armchair-new/images/2/29/Arthur_Ashe_Stadium.jpg) Tennisfool posted

kris719
Sep 18th, 2012, 04:29 AM
^looks like you're in the middle section to me, or maybe you zoomed in from the first coupe rows of the top.

Charlatan
Sep 18th, 2012, 04:45 AM
No, I wasn't in the middle section! I did zoom in the pic a bit if I could recall, but here is the pic without being zoomed during the rain break. Not much of a difference :shrug:
http://oi45.tinypic.com/157gbbb.jpg

But really, the view is not as bad as people make it out to be

doomsday
Sep 18th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Seems to be a good plan I really hope for you the weather will be OK otherwise :help:

Maria rocks
Sep 18th, 2012, 06:45 AM

Im planning to do a day session on ashe, Two night sessions on ashe and the other days get a ground pass. So when i book for ashe book the cheapest seats yeah???

shoparound
Sep 19th, 2012, 03:19 AM
I don't understand the ushers at Ashe, one day they told me to sit in the lower boxes, and the next they were asking for tickets when I sat there.

What is their policy on that?

Trey
Sep 19th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Is it easy too get Autograph from your favorite tennis players or do they have Autograph stands and sessions, and is it true too see Qualies Players Play are free ?

kris719
Sep 19th, 2012, 06:03 AM
I don't understand the ushers at Ashe, one day they told me to sit in the lower boxes, and the next they were asking for tickets when I sat there.

What is their policy on that?

Usually if the session has run long and a lot of people have left they tell people to sit lower, was it a late match when they told you that?

Is it easy too get Autograph from your favorite tennis players or do they have Autograph stands and sessions, and is it true too see Qualies Players Play are free ?

Qualies are indeed free, qualies week and day 1 and 2 are the best days of the tournament imo. I don't recall any special autograph sessions, but it is not difficult to get autographs from players around the grounds. but of course the top players always have 200 ppl following them everywhere and i don't really know if they sign, but you won't have any problem approaching a less popular player.

shoparound
Sep 19th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Usually if the session has run long and a lot of people have left they tell people to sit lower, was it a late match when they told you that?

It was the Venus - Kerber match

kris719
Sep 19th, 2012, 07:50 AM

Yeah I was there too, I think a lot of ppl left after Federer's match so they had some extra room in the lower seats.

Tennis Fool
Sep 19th, 2012, 12:10 PM
The camera image is nothing like the view in person. Your eyes aren't like a camera, which makes the court appear farther away. The court does not appear that far away in person, only in photos. Have you actually been in the upper seats in Ashe?
Yes, and it looks like this.

Anyway, OP wants the cheapest seats, which will probably be the top nosebleed, so this is all academic.

Trey
Sep 19th, 2012, 01:08 PM

Qualies are indeed free, qualies week and day 1 and 2 are the best days of the tournament imo. I don't recall any special autograph sessions, but it is not difficult to get autographs from players around the grounds. but of course the top players always have 200 ppl following them everywhere and i don't really know if they sign, but you won't have any problem approaching a less popular player.

Thanks I plan on going next year as well & Indian wells hopefully it will be mush easy too get autograph at Indian Wells

Excelscior
Sep 19th, 2012, 04:47 PM

OK. Kool.

Have fun. And if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

And on restaurants in Forest Hills, it's not just on Queens Blvd and Ascan, but also some of the side streets in between, 71st ave, 70th rd, 69th ave, etc,. Some of those restaurants are, Cabana, Nicks Pizza, Tuscan Hills, to name a few on those side streets.

The Taco King, for decent priced, but good Tex Mex is withing walking distance from your hotel as well.

As I said, you can look up many of these places on Yelp, Citysearch, Trip Advisor, Urban Spoon (NYC), and Google.

As you may know already, on Yelp and Urban Spoon (and maybe Google), you can look up these places by Restaurant, Type of Restaurant or neighborhood.

Urban Spoon, even has a top 100-200 list (citywide) and you can pick out the places in Queens near you. If you don't see anything near you (don't worry-there just so many good restaurants in NY), just search by neighborhood or Queens.

And that Parkside Restaurant, is a cool place for you to relax and enjoy the sights and sounds (as well as food) of a "Authentic" NYC Italian restaurant, that's also close to your hotel.

And if you're into ICES, there's a longtime favorite across the street from Parkside, called "The Lemon Ice King Of Corona".

Pio Pio, is a good for family style Peruvian Chicken or fish, with some good Sangria, in a large festive settings. It gets crowed though, so choose the right time or plan to wait. Not sure if it's a straight bus or train ride, or both. But it's not physically far from your hotel (though not walk-able), but they also have locations in Manhattan as well (so does Cabana-in Forest Hills, near the South Street Seaport).

Good luck and have fun, where ever you go, and most importantly, ENJOY THE TENNIS during your stay in NY.

LoveFifteen
Sep 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Im planning to do a day session on ashe, Two night sessions on ashe and the other days get a ground pass. So when i book for ashe book the cheapest seats yeah???

Are you going the first week or the second week? If you're going the first week, just get the cheapest seats on Ashe that you can find. You'll be able to move forward to an empty seat easily, especially if it's just you and one other person. I was able to move down to the second section for the second night match every time. Just observe carefully from above which seats are remaining empty for the entire first match, then make your move. The ushers do not ask for your tickets or care.

And when you go next year, I'm sure you'll agree with me and not Tennis Fool that you see everything fine from even the upper level.

Olórin
Sep 19th, 2012, 05:21 PM
The view from the top of Ashe doesn't look that bad at all for such a huge stadium. It's quite distant from the last rows of CC Wimbledon and Chatrier at RG as well. You can't really see players' expressions after a shot or the spins on the ball; but you're in these HUGE atmospheric stadiums seeing the legends of the game on the stages where the history of tennis has been written. Surely that's what you come for.

At these flagship stadiums even if you're courtside, it's still not the same as being on a smaller court. But the Grand Slams are about these larger than life stages. Why go to a Grand Slam at all if you don't want that :lol:

kris719
Sep 19th, 2012, 05:22 PM
^lol this guy is so hellbent on being right about the view.

just make your own opinion on the seats, doesn't really matter what we think.

Excelscior
Sep 19th, 2012, 05:40 PM
The view from the top of Ashe doesn't look that bad at all for such a huge stadium. It's quite distant from the last rows of CC Wimbledon and Chatrier at RG as well. You can't really see players' expressions after a shot or the spins on the ball; but you're in these HUGE atmospheric stadiums seeing the legends of the game on the stages where the history of tennis has been written. Surely that's what you come for.

At these flagship stadiums even if you're courtside, it's still not the same as being on a smaller court. But the Grand Slams are about these larger than life stages. Why go to a Grand Slam at all if you don't want that :lol:

This.

I tried not to get involved in this. But you brought up excellent points.

Go to Ashe Maria Rocks.

Maria rocks
Sep 20th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Now just awaiting the tickets going on sale. Isaw on the official US Open site they do ticket plans i might see if i can get them from there. If not i shall just get them from ticketmaster. I hope i get to see Maria. Thats why im alternating between day and night on ashe to give myself the best possible chance.:)

LoveFifteen
Sep 20th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Now just awaiting the tickets going on sale. Isaw on the official US Open site they do ticket plans i might see if i can get them from there. If not i shall just get them from ticketmaster. I hope i get to see Maria. Thats why im alternating between day and night on ashe to give myself the best possible chance.:)

If you join the USTA, you get access to tix earlier. It's like $25 per year to join.

Maria rocks
Sep 20th, 2012, 05:53 PM
If you join the USTA, you get access to tix earlier. It's like $25 per year to join.

Ok, cool thanks for letting me know that:)

duhcity
Sep 20th, 2012, 06:43 PM

The official policy is that you can only sit there if you're ticketed. The ushers were probably leaving soon, so he let you go. At one point, and it's quite funny if you're looking for it, but they all just simultaneously leave.

bjurra
Sep 21st, 2012, 08:21 AM
This thread cracks me up!

The second poster replying recommends the Four Seasons and the OP proceeds to book a whore house in Flushing...

Booking a year in advance because hotels are selling out...

People recommending taking the subway to Flushing to save money on food. (Maybe if it rains for two hours...)

Some poster rejecting the USO because it is part of a police state...

Maria rocks
Sep 21st, 2012, 02:40 PM
To be honest i prob won't go for the really cheap seats but i can't afford mega expensive seats either. What are the price ranges? Does anyone know?

bjurra
Sep 21st, 2012, 05:07 PM
To be honest i prob won't go for the really cheap seats but i can't afford mega expensive seats either. What are the price ranges? Does anyone know?

This year the cheapest AA tickets were 60 dollars, how close you get to the court is probably a matter of how early you buy them.

kris719
Sep 21st, 2012, 05:14 PM
People recommending taking the subway to Flushing to save money on food. (Maybe if it rains for two hours...)

how would you advise one get to flushing?

shoparound
Sep 21st, 2012, 07:23 PM
When people say go to flushing do they mean just take the subway one stop past Mets Willets (the last stop)?
Because as soon as I get off that last stop I'd have no idea where to go

Tennis Fool
Sep 22nd, 2012, 12:26 AM
^ No, we are talking about Flushing Meadows, the park.

Maria rocks
Oct 16th, 2012, 04:40 PM
For anyone that was concerned re me staying in Paris Suites there is good news ive changed hotels will now be staying in the Hampton inn by JFK Airport xx

Excelscior
Oct 16th, 2012, 04:50 PM
For anyone that was concerned re me staying in Paris Suites there is good news ive changed hotels will now be staying in the Hampton inn by JFK Airport xx

OK. Lol.

If you can, try to stay by the Holiday Inn--in flushing, or the Crowne Plaza (or one of those hotels) near Laguardia Airport or the National Tennis Center.

They're closer.

They're also this big enough hotel on Queens Blvd (forgot the name, though it's not hard to find--The Skyline?), thats near the Subway and not to far from the 7 train.

At the Hampton Inn JFk, you may have to take a shuttle Bus to the airport (unless there's one directly to the Subway), to the Monorail, to the subway--enroute to the USTA. Not the worst thing to do (if that's the case). But certainly not the easiest. See if a shuttle driver can take you to the nearest subway (or a Cab or City bus). I did read on Trip Advisor, a very happy family that stayed at the hotel during the US Open (you may had as well). Alas, you can't have everything.

It's actually not that far from the Van Wyk, Jamaica--Vanwyk and Union Tpk/Kew Gardens subways stops via car or cab (and maybe bus).

But yes, it's a decent, spacious enough (and I'm sure reasonably priced) hotel--connected to it's sister Hilton JFK and it's restaurant.

Maxxpowerr
Feb 11th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Hi Maria rocks I hope its ok that I 1.resurrected this thread and 2.bandwagoned your thread. :wavey:

I am also attending the us open this year. I bought my plane tickets this weekend.

i have never attended any sort of professional tennis event and I am very excited. I am also grateful for the useful tips and information posted in this thread so far.

Sam L
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM
I'm going too hopefully.

LoveFifteen
Feb 11th, 2013, 07:57 PM
If you're going to do an airport hotel, why not one near La Guardia ... you know, the airport that's one subway stop away from the US Open? Gurl, your decisions baffle me sometimes.

Maria rocks
Feb 12th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Hi Maria rocks I hope its ok that I 1.resurrected this thread and 2.bandwagoned your thread. :wavey:

I am also attending the us open this year. I bought my plane tickets this weekend.

i have never attended any sort of professional tennis event and I am very excited. I am also grateful for the useful tips and information posted in this thread so far.

Hi yourself, and yes course it is:) Im just going to get the tennis tickets when they go on General sale in June.