PDA

View Full Version : Paralympics: Vergeer wins 4th gold in a row! def. van Koot 60/63

Elwin.
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:13 PM
This match was broadcasted live on Dutch tv. It was hard to see the ball, but Vergeer was just better at every aspect.
Aniek :hug: 3 games :yeah:

Gold, silver and bronze for The Netherlands :drool:

Tenis Srbija
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:14 PM
GOAT. :worship:

Mary Cherry.
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:14 PM
VerGOAT.

lloyders76
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:22 PM
watching on uk channel 4, the ball is only the slightest bit visible, i can make out its shadow more than the ball itself, court has too much glare in the sun. why use this surface for a televised paralympic event??

Effy
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:22 PM
amazing :yeah:

chingching
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:28 PM
What surface???
Why couldn't they just use Wimbledon???

Elwin.
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:31 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A2MKBuBCQAI9j5U.jpg:large

lloyders76
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:32 PM
it's played on a specially erected hard court stadium

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I guess they don't want the grass to be destroyed.:oh:

chingching
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Don't they use it for Wimbledon though???

Kon.
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Congrats! :yeah: Legend.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Don't they use it for Wimbledon though???

I don't think you can play singles on grass.

Yashal
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:29 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown:

Linguae^
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:55 PM
You can't play wheelchair tennis on grass, it's too slippery. :awww:

lloyders76
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:08 PM
You can't play wheelchair tennis on grass, it's too slippery. :awww:

no, they play at wimbledon

Jane Lane
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM
You can't play wheelchair singles on grass.

GOAT of all GOATs :worship:

Serious question, any particular reason why the Netherlands is so dominant in WC tennis? Not just Vergeer, I mean they swept the podium and I feel like she's always beating her countrywomen in finals.

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Seriously someone needs to stop her already :lol:.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Esther ;) :hearts: :)
4th Olympic Gold !!!!

tonybotz
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:53 PM
i'm sorry but the other girls must be horrible if this woman has never lost in years

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:26 PM
GOAT :bowdown:

Wintermute
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:27 PM
:worship: The incredible win streak continues.

Wintermute
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:33 PM
What surface???
Why couldn't they just use Wimbledon???

There was an article about this just before the Olympics which we were talking about in the Interesting Pics thread (someone posted a photo of the wheelchair venue). To summarise what LOCOG said:

Wimbledon is the only tournament out of over 170 on the wheelchair calendar that is played on grass and they only play doubles on it.

For the Olympics the singles players are big enough stars to attract people to the other side of London. But because the feeling is that the Paralympic competitors aren't as well known then it's better to hold their tournament within the Olympic Park where spectators will go for the day and watch several sports.

This new Eton Manor site will be open to the public after the games.

Meelis
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:47 PM
"Wimbledon is the only one of more than 170 wheelchair tennis tournaments to be played on grass," said Mark Bullock, wheelchair tennis manager at the International Tennis Federation.

"Integration and evolution in to the Grand Slams has been relatively recent, and only since 2009 have the Slams been considered the pinnacle of the sport. With Wimbledon, as the sport evolves, maybe singles will come in the future.

"The grass courts are certainly a factor. It is more difficult to push, on grass. You can't really push and then glide, in the way you can on hard courts. You have to push the whole time. The chair moves more slowly and you have a slower bouncing ball."

While tennis in the Olympics will be contested at the All England Club, for the first time since 1908 (tennis was not an Olympic sport at the last London games in 1948), the Paralympic competition will be played on specially built hard courts on the Olympic Park at Eton Manor.

As well as singles and doubles, wheelchair tennis has a separate category called "Quads", for quadraplegic athletes who have limited use of their hands and arms. Electric wheelchairs are permitted, and players often have the rackets strapped to their arms. So far this category has only been contested on hard courts.

"Having the Paralympics at Wimbledon was never seriously considered," said Mr Bullock. "The vast majority of the Paralympics is within the Olympic Park at Stratford, we wanted to be part of the main cluster. People will go for the day and watch several sports – that's good for us. At this stage in the game's evolution our players are not well known enough for spectators to make the trek across London. Hopefully in the future that will change."

treufreund
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Esther is the GOAT no doubt. I hate it how she gets almost no attention for her AMAZING career.

FedererBulgaria
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Love her!

Dave.
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:37 PM

Is that supposed to be funny? :confused:

laurie
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:34 PM
What a player :hatoff:

laurie
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:35 PM
i'm sorry but the other girls must be horrible if this woman has never lost in years

Your avatar looks like a streaker in there.

killerqueen
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Congrats Esther. It's a shame that she's virtually unknown, because her record is something that should be celebrated.

Golden_Slam1
Sep 12th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Yeah she is a goddess and what a role model. She seems like a genuinely beautiful person too. Heard her in this podcast: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/tennis-weekly-roland-garros/id532708891?i=116358041 (the second one down). Yeah alright, the rest of the field must suck to some extent, but to keep going for 9 years without going crazy?! GOAT!