PDA

View Full Version : Martina Hingis 2013 Hall of Fame

Trey
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Along with Helena Suková & Michael Stich nominees for the Hall of Fame
Martina Gotta get in for sure :bounce:

http://www.tennisfame.com/martina-hings-helena-sukova-michael-stich-among-nominees-for-2013-induction

Sir Stefwhit
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Yeah she's a total no brainer for entry- well deserved!

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Bridesmaids get in now too (Sukova) :lol:

Gangstress
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:06 AM
Well if Capriati is in

Brad[le]y.
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Bridesmaids get in now too (Sukova) :lol:

14 doubles slams. :shrug:

Zvereva is in the HoF for her doubles achievements even though her singles career wasn't necessarily HoF worthy.

Petronius
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:56 AM
14 doubles slams. :shrug:

Not only that.

1) Helena helped Hingis to become the youngest slam champion of all time (1996 Wimbly doubles)

2) In 1984, Helena snapped Navratilova's 74-match winning streak, the longest winning streak ever

3) In 1990, she and Novotna fell just one match short of the calendar grandslam in doubles

4) she appeared in four singles slam finals

5) she and her mother Věra are the only mother and daughter in the history of tennis to reach TOP 5 in singles

Helena rocks :wavey:

irinska
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:06 PM
It was a high time for Martina! She truely belongs there unlike other people who were chosen in the past, the standart is qusetionable to say the least.

Sammo
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:17 PM
I hope she gets it :hearts:

Raiden
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:22 PM
As far as women's singles is concerned - in 2014 it'll possibly be Pearce, in 2015 Davenport, in 2016 Venus Mauresmo.

barmaid
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Well deserved and she should have no trouble getting in, certainly been one of the best tennis players in the last 15 years in both doubles and singles!!:hearts::worship::kiss:

Barmaid:wavey:

erschloy214
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Well if Capriati is in

Capriati deserves to be in there. Grand slams, Olympic gold, #1 in the world....are you kidding me?

NashaMasha
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:51 PM
they should establish Hall of Fame of Hall of Fame.

mistymore
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:15 PM
I hope Hingis, Stich, Sukova, and Tiriac are all inducted. Former journeyman player and awful commentator Cliff Dudsdale has no place.

ptkten
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:33 PM
I hope Hingis, Stich, Sukova, and Tiriac are all inducted. Former journeyman player and awful commentator Cliff Dudsdale has no place.

Cliffy is awesome! :fiery:

I doubt Sukova will get in. She would have a chance if she were American but we know there's a bias against non-Americans at the HOF.

Shivank17
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:46 AM
:yeah:

tennisbum79
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I hope she gets it :hearts:
What is wrong with you?

Why wouldn't she get it?

Personally, I think nominees should be 40 years old or more.

metamorpha
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:52 AM
She's a shoe-in since 15 years ago.

wildemu
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:03 AM
I feel so old. I remember watching her when she was a teen and now she is going to be in the hof. :facepalm:

Thirty All
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Legend!

égalité
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:23 AM
Formalities

http://i.imgur.com/iiZEH.gif

Sombrerero loco
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:08 AM
well deserved, Legend. So sad she is not IN yet

Mynarco
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:10 AM
She has this award lined up for her. Oh wait....

Vespertine69
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I really hope they induct Hingis - I had feared that cocaine-gate might cause her to be overlooked, at least until people had had more time to forget about it. Many people tend to horrifically over-react to the topic of "DRUGS!!!!" that it can cloud all other reasonable judgement.

Sammo
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:32 AM
What is wrong with you?

Why wouldn't she get it?

http://img.neeerd.com/38395/38395-0-tirate-un-paso--cover-acustico--wtf.gif

Uh... cause she didn't get it yet? :unsure:

Trey
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Congratulations Martina Hingis

Trey
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:05 PM
http://www.tennisfame.com/class-of-2013-martina-hingis-thelma-coyne-long-cliff-drysdale-charlie-pasarell-ion-tiriac

Trey
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Tennis Hall of Fame 2013 inductees announced: Martina Hingis, Cliff Drysdale, Charlie Pasarell, and Ion Tiriac.

lenas warriors
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Nice thats it two woman and one man this time around. Hopefully both women make it.

Hopefully Lena D will at least get a nomination :bigcry:

Trey
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:13 PM
Thelma Coyne Long was also elected

Trey
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Nice thats it two woman and one man this time around. Hopefully both women make it.

Hopefully Lena D will at least get a nomination :bigcry:

Yeah I hoping Lena Get in as well, also Dinara Safina & Anastasia Myskina

Juju Nostalgique
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Supa happy for Helena!!! :hearts: :rocker2:

hingis-seles
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:26 PM
Never in doubt, Martina! :)

NashaMasha
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:45 PM

the status of HOF will significantly drop if they all join it ... despite i would like to see Nastia inducted

brickhousesupporter
Mar 4th, 2013, 04:00 PM
the status of HOF will significantly drop if they all join it ... despite i would like to see Nastia inducted
Although, Nastia might have a slight chance if they consider her the first Russian to win a major.

Petronius
Mar 4th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Helena :hug:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00382/Hingis_Sukova_382491a.jpg

http://img.blesk.cz/img/2i_article/1447669-img-sport-tenis-wimbledon-martina-navratilova-helena-sukova.jpg

Always in the shadow of the two Martinas :awww:

Trey
Mar 4th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Shock Helena Suková didn't get in the Hall of Fame with Martina Hingis

moby
Mar 4th, 2013, 05:06 PM
There are 100+ Hall of Famers, but only one Legend. We don't give a shit about this award either way.

iWill
Mar 4th, 2013, 05:08 PM
:cheer: Martina
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7us2z0OlP1r60v6do1_500.gif

Lena D may get in on her Olympic GOld win and Myskina for being the 1st Russian woman to win a slam. Dinara better not come near the HOF though she hasn't won anything IMO that would put her there.

JLG
Mar 4th, 2013, 05:09 PM
"The Legend" headbutts her way into the hall of fame. :)

égalité
Mar 4th, 2013, 05:27 PM
NID

She is the queen.

The Dawntreader
Mar 4th, 2013, 05:37 PM
There are 100+ Hall of Famers, but only one Legend. We don't give a shit about this award either way.

That's true, but just because Steffi Graf has been included, doesn't mean everyone else isn't deserving.

alfonsojose
Mar 4th, 2013, 05:39 PM
It's official now. She's a LEGEND :yeah: :lol:

petkoan
Mar 4th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Well done, Legend. Who would have thought this little girl would have go on to do what she did - so much, in such a short space of time.

"At any rate, what her Hall of Fame induction should let us remember is Hingis’ tennis. She was the last true artiste to rule the WTA. Her game, simply put, was sublime, defined not by power but by a supreme intelligence. She moved the ball around, changed the spin and always knew how best to make her opponent hit the shot she didn’t want to hit. She remains the last woman to win a calendar-year Grand Slam, having taken all four doubles majors, with two partners, in 1998. The women’s tour today would be a better place with a few players like Hingis around."

saint2
Mar 4th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Is this hall of fame holds any meanings ?

Anyway, she deserves to be in. Shes a MAJOR bitch, but she was the symbol of tennis in late 90s/early 00s

lloyders76
Mar 4th, 2013, 06:02 PM
if fernandez is in, then sukova should be a shoe-in. she has a comparable doubles resume to fernandez but was a far, far more successful singles player, US bias seems to be at work

hingis-seles
Mar 4th, 2013, 06:24 PM
''She obviously had a Hall of Fame career,'' said Serena Williams, who beat Hingis in the 1999 U.S. Open final. ''She achieved so much at such an early age and did so much for the sport, inspired me a lot to play.''

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/hingis-enter-international-tennis-hall-151853339--ten.html

Sombrerero loco
Mar 4th, 2013, 06:58 PM
serena :bowdown: nice words on legend :)

Trey
Mar 4th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Martina Hingis is the first Swiss player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame

Petronius
Mar 4th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Martina Hingis is the first Swiss player to be inducted into the Hall of Fame

Yeah, the first 'Swiss' player who is a native Czech speaker and whose parents were top Czechoslovak tennis players. :lol:

Jokes aside, well deserved :yeah:

NashaMasha
Mar 4th, 2013, 07:47 PM
if fernandez is in, then sukova should be a shoe-in. she has a comparable doubles resume to fernandez but was a far, far more successful singles player, US bias seems to be at work

they snubbed former #1 , two-time in singles, 4-time in doubles GS Champion , Olympic Champion, winner of Davis Cup with total 26 singles and 27 doubles ATP titles Kafelnikov in 2012......

and we all know that Roddick will be inducted very soon

fnuf7
Mar 4th, 2013, 07:57 PM
I've always wondered with the Hall of Fame, does the player - assuming they've had a clear HoF worthy career - have any choice of accepting it or not? I mean if they retired & just wanted a quiet retirement with no speeches & events etc can they be inducted even if they won't show up for the ceremony? Or is part of the deal you only get in if you've had a good enough career & you're willing to do the ceremony & media stuff around it all etc?

cn ireland
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Congrats Martina:D!

LoveFifteen
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:20 PM
They probably snubbed Kafelnikov because he seems shady as hell and people assume he was involved in match fixing. :shrug:

Alejandrawrrr
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:28 PM
Thank you Vika :hearts:

http://www.tennisfame.com/class-of-2013-martina-hingis-thelma-coyne-long-cliff-drysdale-charlie-pasarell-ion-tiriac

Martina Hingis, 32, of Switzerland, was the world No. 1 singles player for 209 non-consecutive weeks and the No. 1 doubles player for 35 non-consecutive weeks. She is in the elite company of Martina Navratilova, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, Lindsay Davenport, and Kim Clijsters as one of just five players in history to have held both the singles and doubles No. 1 WTA ranking simultaneously.

:rolleyes:

moby
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Thank you Vika :hearts:

:rolleyes:Maybe they were talking about retired players. But then in that case I don't know why Venus was left off the list? :shrug:
Oh it's because she never did it. :oh:

Buitenzorg
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Congrats Hingis :bounce:

HRHoliviasmith
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:37 PM
aweaome! well deserved.

Nicolás89
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Lengendtina. :hug: :hearts:

Ana'sProcess
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Guys, which players do you think will make it to the Hall of fame in next 10 years? :)

thrust
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:45 PM

Neither Stich, Sukova or Cliff deserve to be in the HOF. Neither do, at least, half the players who are already in.

NashaMasha
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:49 PM
They probably snubbed Kafelnikov because he seems shady as hell and people assume he was involved in match fixing. :shrug:

sure, sure ..... it's not like Martina doesn't have shady background either......

Talula
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Does anyone actually care about the HoF? I think players are remembered for their titles and slams.

Trey
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Guys, which players do you think will make it to the Hall of fame in next 10 years? :)

1. Lindsay Davenport

2. Conchita Martínez

3. Mary Pierce

4. Kim Clijsters

5. Justine Henin

6. Anastasia Myskina

7. Amélie Mauresmo

Ana'sProcess
Mar 4th, 2013, 08:58 PM
I hope my Anci will be there one day!

One more GS... I dream about one more GS for Ana! God only knows how much that would make me happy...

Ana... The one and only. :)

ZeroSumGame
Mar 4th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Congrats Martina!!

The greats of the game (10+ slams) do not need a vote to get into the HoF, while everybody else does ...dunno the criteria :confused:

Trey
Mar 4th, 2013, 09:05 PM
I hope my Anci will be there one day!

One more GS... I dream about one more GS for Ana! God only knows how much that would make me happy...

Ana... The one and only. :)

Ana Should make the Hall Of Fame

petkoan
Mar 4th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Is Martina the youngest of the accomplished players to get into HOF?

Ana'sProcess
Mar 4th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Ana Should make the Hall Of Fame

Thank you. I hope she will.

:angel:

Sombrerero loco
Mar 4th, 2013, 10:47 PM
legend :bowdown:

lloyders76
Mar 4th, 2013, 11:58 PM
ivanovic really shouldn't based on her career so far, i don't really think sabatini should be in there either. they both reached 3 slam finals, winning one, but at least she was an elite player for almost a decade

Lin Lin
Mar 5th, 2013, 12:44 AM
NEWPORT: Former World No. 1 Martina Hingis and Australian legend Thelma Coyne Long were among five people named Monday as 2013 inductees into the International Tennis Hall of Fame.

Two ATP co-founders, Americans Cliff Drysdale and Charlie Pasarell, and Romanian star Ion Tiriac, were also elected to the sporting shrine by a selection panel. A person needs 75 per cent support from the group for election.

All five will be enshrined on July 13 during ceremonies at the ATP Hall of Fame Championships grass-court event, joining 224 previous honourees from 19 nations.

"Being inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame is a tremendous honour," Hingis said. "It is truly a privilege to be part of such an exclusive group of tennis icons."

Retired Swiss star Hingis, 32, topped the rankings for 209 weeks and won 43 career WTA titles and five Grand Slam singles crowns, including Wimbledon, US and Australian Open titles in 1997 and the 1998 and 1999 Australian Opens.

Hingis, who went 548-133 in WTA singles matches, also won nine Grand Slam women's doubles titles and one mixed doubles title. She retired in 2003 at age 22 due to injury, made a comeback in 2006 and won three titles before retiring for good in 2007.

She became the youngest Grand Slam champion at 15 years and nine months when she joined Helena Sukova to win the 1996 Wimbledon women's doubles crown and the youngest World No. 1 in 1997 at 16 years, six months and one day.

Only Hingis, Martina Navratilova, Kim Clijsters, Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario and Lindsay Davenport have topped the WTA singles and doubles rankings at the same time.

"Martina Hingis is undoubtedly one of the world's elite tennis players and we're glad to pay tribute to her among the legends of the sport," Hall of Fame President Stan Smith said.

Long, 94, played from 1935 to 1958. She won the 1952 and 1954 Australian Open women's singles titles and was a runner-up in the event four other times. In 1952 she also won women's and mixed doubles titles at the Australian event.

During World War II, Long became a captain in the Australian Women's Army Service and was awarded the Australian War Medal and Australian Service Medal.

"During the Australian Open, we had the opportunity to notify Thelma Coyne Long of the good news of her enshrinement and she was delighted," Smith said.

South African-born Drysdale, 71, played in the 1960s and 1970s and won 35 career singles titles. After helping form the ATP and serving as its first president, he has worked as a tennis commentator for ESPN.

Puerto Rican-born Pasarell, 69, is the past director and managing partner of the ATP and WTA event in Indian Wells, California. He won 18 singles titles and helped the US win the Davis Cup in 1968 before becoming a tennis executive.

Tiriac, 73, paired with countryman Ilie Nastase to form a formidable 1970s doubles partnership but as more recently served roles ranging from coach to player management to tournament promoter.

- AFP
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_sports/view/1257859/1/.html

Utautai
Mar 5th, 2013, 01:47 AM

:awww:

Martina :cheer:

Brad[le]y.
Mar 5th, 2013, 01:52 AM

This is what really kick-started her career along with her run to the finals in Roma where she upset World No. 1 Graf; all as a fifteen year old. She continued this success with a run to the SF of the USO that year defeating Sanchez Vicario and Novotna on the way.

She developed a lot of confidence but sometimes too much confidence can be a bad thing :p

LoveFifteen
Mar 5th, 2013, 02:08 PM
sure, sure ..... it's not like Martina doesn't have shady background either......

Shady background? Honey, even if she did cocaine, if the Hall of Fame didn't accept players who used cocaine, the entire 1970s and 1980s wing of the building would be empty. :lol:

barmaid
Mar 6th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Martina's induction into the 'Hall of Fame' was always a 'shoo-in' based on her wonderful career, what she accomplished as a player was more than adequate, her style, guile and grace was exceptional and so unique, in fact based on today's calibre of WTA players she will always be a standout as one of the most gifted players to ever play the game of tennis.:worship:
Barmaid:wavey:

theseekers
Jul 12th, 2013, 08:38 PM
TENNIS CHANNEL TO COVER MARTINA HINGIS’ HALL OF FAME INDUCTION CEREMONY SATURDAY

tomorrow is the martina hingis day in Newport with live tv ( tennischannel )

Sombrerero loco
Jul 12th, 2013, 09:34 PM
tomorrow is a great day in tennis´history :hearts:

PleaseZayn
Jul 12th, 2013, 10:38 PM
One of my favorite players. Well-deserved.