View Full Version : USTA: Junior #1 Townsend too fat to play on our dime

CTSEMT
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:47 AM
She won 2 matches today to reach the girls QF. :oh:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444273704577635530959121916.html

misty1
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:51 AM
thats disgusting really

this is a 16 year old girl and they are telling her she's to fat to get funding. You need to be in shape to play this sport but its way to early to be talking like this about her

kris719
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:55 AM
in the long run, she's probably going to have to lose some weight, but at this stage she is the best junior in the world and deserves the same treatment as any other american junior in the draw. i'm sure she'll be encouraged to slim down if she wants to make it later on tour.

misty1
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:58 AM
yeah but she's 16 and the point is she's got time, she doesnt need these people coming after her calling her fat

ptkten
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:59 AM
That's really awful. The USTA and Pat McEnroe should be ashamed of themselves. I understand she needs to get in shape, but cutting off funding, denying wildcards etc. to the number one junior in the world? I hope Taylor wins this title and shoves it down their throat.

Wiggly
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:02 AM
The White Californian Coco Vandeweghe isn't the fittest player out there but who many, many WCs? :angel:

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:02 AM
"Our concern is her long-term health, number one, and her long-term development as a player," said Patrick McEnroe, the general manager of the USTA's player development program. "We have one goal in mind: For her to be playing in [Arthur Ashe Stadium] in the main draw and competing for major titles when it's time. That's how we make every decision, based on that.":o

Eating disorder time.

ptkten
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:04 AM
The White Californian Coco Vandeweghe isn't the fittest player out there but who many, many WCs? :angel:

I don't want to bring race into this, I really don't, but I seriously doubt that a number one ranked in the world white junior player that was in similar shape would be denied the ability to play at the U.S. Open qualifying. It's just so shocking that they did this, I don't know what to say.

brickhousesupporter
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:05 AM
The USTA is full of shit....the end.

dragonflies
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:08 AM
This is totally disgusting. Patrick McEnroe is a jerk, a closeted racist, and the USTA deserved to be sued over this travesty.

edificio
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Fuck them! She's a 16 year old girl. She will be losing that weight as she grows.

She needs to win this tournament and tell them to go hang.

This really pisses me off.

Did they tell Melanie Oudin this and cut off her funding?

brickhousesupporter
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:11 AM
You see why Richard Williams did not want to be beholding to those motherfuckers.

blackandblue
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:12 AM
:o

Eating disorder time.

She might already have an eating disorder.

*JR*
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:20 AM
http://ladyvenoms.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/taylor.jpg

Sure she's hefty, but it may be "baby fat" that she'll lose in the course of things. Besides, Serena won Oz one year with such a huge butt that she was (then) built like an offensive lineman in the NFL. :o Its results that count, and Taylor is producing them. To paraphrase Dawn Marie, Patrick McEnroe needs fired! :fiery:

ranfurly
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:31 AM

Hey look who it is.

http://genderben.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/tinky-winky-tutu.jpg?w=540

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:35 AM
I can see them telling her to go back to training after San Diego-- which she did-- but then to deny her any type of WCs to the USO, or tell her NOT TO PLAY THE JUNIOR TOURNAMENT AT ALL :o :confused:

PhilePhile
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:35 AM
Hey look who it is.

Obviously, you don't sense the seriousness of the issue.

So Disrespectful
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:36 AM
USTA have no business in saying that at all. I seriously hope this doesn't give the girl an eating disorder or knock her self-confidence too much. Obviously Taylor's training load will increase as she becomes an adult, and her current results aren't indicating a fitness issue, so why put more pressure on her? They're commenting on her appearance alone and pressuring her to change, which is disgusting.

It's so hypocritical too when they're handing out WCs to other girls who appear to be the same size and fitness.

wildemu
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:39 AM
this is the same crew that pumped millions in donald young so nothing surprises me.

*JR*
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:39 AM
Hey look who it is.

Did the Rooskies cut off a young Alisa Kleybanova? Did the Germans cut off a young ALG, whose youth was B4 their current Top 5 emerged? Did the Suissies (whose tennis program "I know a little something about") cut off Myriam Casanova, which would have been B4 her thyroid disorder was diagnosed? :rolleyes:

erschloy214
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:52 AM
I can see both points of view. I think it's awful they did not grant any of her wildcard requests being that she is the number one junior in the world. She obviously has had good results, so it confuses me.

Conversely, if the USTA is funding her training, coaching, etc., I can see where they think it is justified to push her in the direction they feel is necessary. She's an investment and if she doesn't want the help, she has the talent to go it alone I'm sure. I do feel at her age, the comments McEnroe made are a bit much.

PhilePhile
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:14 AM
I can see both points of view. I think it's awful they did not grant any of her wildcard requests being that she is the number one junior in the world. She obviously has had good results, so it confuses me.

Conversely, if the USTA is funding her training, coaching, etc., I can see where they think it is justified to push her in the direction they feel is necessary. She's an investment and if she doesn't want the help, she has the talent to go it alone I'm sure. I do feel at her age, the comments McEnroe made are a bit much.

:bs:

dragonflies
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:16 AM

I can see your point of view.

However, refuse her a WC into qualified draws spelled prejudice, especially when they did give out WCs to other white girls who were in similar shapes before. I doubt they love Taylor that much over other girls. At the AO years ago, a local girl named Adamzack (?) was handed a WC into both Main Draws and Junior draws despite showing little promises. She was double bagelled by Justine in the MD, then again double bagelled by Peer in both of her first matches. That was what other countries did for their junior players and they were far away from being the number one Junior in the world. If we think about that, then there will be no proper explaination. A Wc could be an opportunity to break through for her. You never know. Just look at what Serena did when she was about the same age ( Not to say she is the new Serena, but still you can't shoot your own soldiers).

If they are really concern about her fitness, then after she won the AO junior, they could tell her if she get toned up by the time the US Open coming, then they will give her a MDWC. Now that would be the right thing to do, not finding excuses to block people out just right before the games.

brickhousesupporter
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:19 AM
The USTA has yet to prove they know or have what it takes to groom a champion. Until they do, they really have no right to pretend that they do.

miffedmax
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:27 AM
What a sick, stupid joke.

Taylor is just fine the way she is. She clearly has a larger frame that some girls--but so what? Abby Wambach has a larger frame than Alex Morgan and they both seem to do fine on the football pitch.

Go Taylor.

Pump-it-UP
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:31 AM
This is beyond shameful. I can't even put my thoughts into words. Hopefully she'll win here and get the last laugh since they didnt even want her playing. :facepalm:

Jolene
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:45 AM
It's ridiculous. They should base their decisions on her results and nothing else. There have been players whose results suffered when they lost weight, haven't there? Ivanovic is one who comes to mind as having been debated here, I think.

sammy01
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:53 AM
this is the same crew that pumped millions in donald young so nothing surprises me.

Of course there are several posters in this thread who will totally ignore this and are already talking about her colour.

anyway, I'm not sure why people are shocked. I'm sure the USTA have said to her get fit or they will cut/stop her funding and she obviously hasn't. Yes she is 16, but these people are investing money into her and she has to show willing back. Being number 1 at 16 means nothing, careers can go either way from there.

At 16 in the UK a person has finished school and if they haven't got supportive parents they might be out there in the real world having to earn a living. Here is a girl being given money to have a career and the people giving her the money may very well feel she isn't pulling her weight (no pun intended) to keep up her end of it.

If she has to pay her own travel, expenses ect for a while she may well soon realise that the money from the USTA is not only invaluable but a not a given. Yes it may well be a harsh lesson to learn at 16 but when has tennis ever been a soft sport?

If the talk in the inner circle of british tennis i have heard is true, laura robson (who is only 18 herself) her and her team asked to work with zelko a while before he started working with her and he said he wouldn't until she had lost a certain amount of weight.

selesbooz
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:06 AM
She's fat, there's no way around it. the girl has not dropped a pound sine the beginning of the year. it sad that this is what they are basing it on but so be it. I think that funny part is how everyone calls Bartoli cake because she fat but telling a fat girl to lose wait it wrong. If I was the USTA i would not be putting money in her and funding Duval and Vickery.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:23 AM
USTA is gonna get major heat on this one.

Martina just commented on Twitter: Just read about it. Horrible. seems as I was heavy when I was Taylor 's age, Usta would have benched me too...wrong decision

Vincey!
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:24 AM
Wow this is disgusting! Okay let's face it she's fat. She knows that tho, she knows that she'll need to get fitter to be a good pro. But she's 16 ffs! Her body is probably not even adapted yet to lose all that weight. I understand that they believe that it will be good for her long term career to get fitter but it's not gonna happen in 2 months. Let her body get mature first then you can start to panick. MOREOVER punishing her because she's not fit? WTH why would someone do that, it doesn't make any sense, you want a future champion but THEY big hope that you have, you're gonna private her from playing one of the biggest tournament. Instead of making her pursue her dream of becoming a big tennis force for the future, she might get discourage and choose to go to college and get a scholarship and never turns pro. Stupid act by the USTA. Give her all the ressource to get fitter, give her the tools to do it. If the results don't show then you can cut the fund, not when she's still the best juniors. Disgusting.

bobito
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:25 AM
Without knowing the full background to this story, I would hesitate to judge either the USTA or Miss Townsend. If the USTA has set her resonable goals regarding her fitness levels and she has made little attempt to meet them, then Townsend is at fault and withdrawing her funding would be a reasonable last resort. If the USTA haven't set reasonable goals and offered assistance with fitness training or given her reasonable time to improve in this regard then that is no way to develop young players and a deplorable way to treat a young person.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:30 AM
Vania King weighs in on Twitter: Interesting article about Taylor Townsend, I started consistent fitness at 19-matches are necessary for young players

Lindsay: I'm really disheartened by this Taylor Townsend news :( makes me sad. Also makes me wonder if any females were involved in decision making.

Trey
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:36 AM
Brett Haber Commentator for Tennis Channel on Twitter For the record, Taylor Townsend is 16. Do we really want to make judgements about her body at this age. Where's the humanity? She's a kid.

steni
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:37 AM

this!

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:38 AM
I liked this Twitter msg: Bigger USTA blunder: Taylor Townsend or Adam Sandler & Kevin James on Ashe? Discuss. #notagooddayforusta

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:40 AM
I wonder how Disney Owned ESPN is going to feel about this one, knowing that Patrick McEnroe is telecasting their events, and savvy US Open participants can razz him while he's on the air. :eek: :eek:

Maybe they'll pull him off, rather than ignoring (which is what their more likely to do) it or addressing it? :confused: Well, these are the things that can happen when you have these type of incestuous on air relationships (active USTA Player Develop Chief on air broadcasting).

As far as the issue at hand, I can certainly see both sides. But it does seem a little harsh to tell a 16 yr old young lady (no matter how many times they may have before), that she has to "lose weight or else", while she's still winning tournaments all over the place. It just seems so harsh and cold.

But I guess it's tough luck/love, in big time tennis circles. :shrug:

keithb1961
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:44 AM
This is totally disgusting. Patrick McEnroe is a jerk, a closeted racist, and the USTA deserved to be sued over this travesty.

Not everything comes down to race....come on....

kris719
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:44 AM
took 6 whole posts to cry racism :tape:

this is wrong, but i feel like i'm reading the political subforum again :tape:

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:46 AM
Looking into the Tennisforum Crystal Ball:

http://www.bloguin.com/crystalballrun/images/stories/crystalball.jpg

WTA #1: Taylor Townsend
Residence: KAZAKHSTAN

Meanwhile, new Wall Street Journal report on Where are all the talented US juniors?

mdterp01
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Disgusting...and as a USTA member I just sent a scathing email to them and plan to contact Jon Vegosen, the USTA Chairman of the Board and President over this foolishness!!

brickhousesupporter
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Tweet ESPN about Patricks involvement in this issue.

PhilePhile
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Looking into the Tennisforum Crystal Ball:

http://www.bloguin.com/crystalballrun/images/stories/crystalball.jpg

WTA #1: Taylor Townsend
Residence: KAZAKHSTAN Canada

Meanwhile, new Wall Street Journal report on Where are all the talented US juniors?

:wavey:

dybbuk
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:06 AM
So some posters in here are seriously going to look at Coco Vandeweghe or Lindsay Davenport who were CLEARLY overweight when they were 16 yet still got USTA support, and they're going to tell me that Taylor would have been denied funding and wildcards if she was white?

Infiniti2001
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Ya'll see why Richard said a big "no thank you" to them and did things his way?? Disgusting!! She's a child for crying out loud :rolleyes:

ranfurly
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Did the Rooskies cut off a young Alisa Kleybanova? Did the Germans cut off a young ALG, whose youth was B4 their current Top 5 emerged? Did the Suissies (whose tennis program "I know a little something about") cut off Myriam Casanova, which would have been B4 her thyroid disorder was diagnosed? :rolleyes:

ok.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:10 AM
Taylor needs to give Pat the finger, get an investor, private coaching and rub PMacs nose in it after she's won her major.

dragonflies
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:13 AM

I'm already awared about the fact that some black people could find racial issue where there isn't, but racial prejudice is an actual issue that still existed in the US and are still the concern of general public. Is closing your eyes and deny the problem would make it go away? How could you explain the case of Coco with her shape would get the WCs into the US tournaments while Taylor couldn't ? What's the difference between them?

dragonflies
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:18 AM
took 6 whole posts to cry racism :tape:

this is wrong, but i feel like i'm reading the political subforum again :tape:

Did you go to any school/ college/ university in the US to learn that racism is still existed in America, albeit in different forms? Just saying random things without any supporting details doesn't help your arguement, but would make you look foolishly.

producer88
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Taylor's body isn't even done changing! How can they add so much pressure to such a young girl!?! Look at Kvitova, she isn't fit, but she has won a slam, and does extremely well (making it to the quarters multiple times at the GS, and winning the US Open Series.

Taylor should get match experience now, because it will benefit her to mentally ready, and prepared on what to expect when she turns pro. In my opinion, if she's #1 in the world, winning junior slams, then adding that weightless pressure is too soon! At least wait until she's 18 to worry about her fitness!

TheLegendof
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:34 AM
She's at the age where she should start caring, she is carrying "girth", Life isn't just about candy, and the sun's not just a ball of butter.

You just had to go to Popeyes :rolleyes:

dragonflies
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:46 AM
Of course there are several posters in this thread who will totally ignore this and are already talking about her colour.

anyway, I'm not sure why people are shocked. I'm sure the USTA have said to her get fit or they will cut/stop her funding and she obviously hasn't. Yes she is 16, but these people are investing money into her and she has to show willing back. Being number 1 at 16 means nothing, careers can go either way from there.

At 16 in the UK a person has finished school and if they haven't got supportive parents they might be out there in the real world having to earn a living. Here is a girl being given money to have a career and the people giving her the money may very well feel she isn't pulling her weight (no pun intended) to keep up her end of it.

If she has to pay her own travel, expenses ect for a while she may well soon realise that the money from the USTA is not only invaluable but a not a given. Yes it may well be a harsh lesson to learn at 16 but when has tennis ever been a soft sport?

If the talk in the inner circle of british tennis i have heard is true, laura robson (who is only 18 herself) her and her team asked to work with zelko a while before he started working with her and he said he wouldn't until she had lost a certain amount of weight.

Perhaps you assume that the funding for US players is as generous as in England to draw such conclusion.

First, Donald Young was hyped up for a few years at a time when American men tennis was in drought of promising youngsters while Roddick already showed signs of decline. As soon as John Ishner,Querrey, Harrison came up and the resurgence of Fish, Young is now totally ignored. ( It's not like Young is my favorite player at all. I personally really dislike Young and his antics). And no, there weren't millions put in Young. He was given MDWCs though. One thing to remember, racism is not the only problem in America society, there is also another things called Sexism. The combination of these two is deadly.

Second, most tennis players are relying heavily on their families on financial matter. Even in gymnastics, swimming, are sports that make little money in tournaments comparing to tennis, Gabby Douglas and Ryan Lochte had their families gone bankrupted in order to support for them to compete for their country's fame. And those sportmen don't have the chance to make money from tournaments, unlike tennis players. Yet they have to use their own money for their training and expenses.

The add from the Federation wasn't as much as you like to think. In this case, Taylor's mom offered to carry all her expenses at the US Open in order to get her a Qualy WC, but her request was still denied, just because they think Taylor is too fat to play and CoCo Vanderweghe is thin enough to play in the main draws. How could you explain that?

shoparound
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:01 AM
USTA have no business in saying that at all. I seriously hope this doesn't give the girl an eating disorder or knock her self-confidence too much. Obviously Taylor's training load will increase as she becomes an adult, and her current results aren't indicating a fitness issue, so why put more pressure on her? They're commenting on her appearance alone and pressuring her to change, which is disgusting.

It's so hypocritical too when they're handing out WCs to other girls who appear to be the same size and fitness.

With less talent too!:tape:

DeucesAreWild
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:02 AM
You cannot be serious! :tape: :help:

You deny the #1 Junior in the world a WC spot in her home country's Slam because she's too fat? Yet, is fit enough to be #1? And given the state of US tennis after the Sisters you think you can afford to rob promising prospects of valuable experience? And we are to wonder why the USTA develops duds? :lol:

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:08 AM
You cannot be serious! :tape: :help:

You deny the #1 Junior in the world a WC spot in her home country's Slam because she's too fat? Yet, is fit enough to be #1? And given the state of US tennis after the Sisters you think you can afford to rob promising prospects of valuable experience? And we are to wonder why the USTA develops duds? :lol:
Even worse, they didn't want her showing up at the USO Juniors :o

darrinbaker00
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:35 AM
In my opinion, Mr. McEnroe proved that there is a wrong way to say the right thing. Being the #1 Junior in the world is no guarantee of success at the next level, and one need look no farther than the aforementioned Donald Young as proof. I agree with the USTA's long-term approach to developing junior talent, and anyone with two eyes and a brain should conclude that Taylor Townsend does need to improve her fitness. Also, as someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, we don't know the whole story; maybe the USTA coaches did give Taylor an off-court training program that she didn't follow. I can understand not automatically giving her a wild card into the main draw and telling her to earn it by winning the Girls 18 Nationals (which Victoria Duval did), but asking the #1 Junior in the world not to enter the Junior Girls draw is beyond inexcusable. I sincerely hope that this does not do irreparable harm to the relationship between the USTA and the Townsend family, because they really do need each other.

xzchief
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:41 AM
Here's how I would have handled the situation.

Give Taylor Townsend the main-draw wild card she requested. Better her than some journeywoman who the USTA knows will never win a major.

Then draw her against Serena Williams, Victoria Azarenka or Maria Sharapova. Someone who will drum her 6-0, 6-1. Put the match on Arthur Ashe Stadium on the first Monday or Tuesday night so the maximum audience can see it.

A few days later, meet with Taylor and her family. Say the following:

"Taylor, some people will look at your age and say you're a kid. As far as we're concerned, you stopped being a kid the day you started accepting our money. If you'd rather be a kid than a champion, then good luck on your own.

"Now then, we believe in you. We believe you can win majors. That's what we've supported you. However, you have to understand that we're not interested in funding age-group phenoms. We have those. We want major titles. And, no, junior majors don't count.

"You saw in your last match just how far you have to go. We think you can get there. The question is, do you want to get there? If so, are you willing to do what's required to get there?

"A lot of players will have one good week and reach a major quarterfinal. Is that all you want for yourself? We believe you can be the best. Do you believe it? What are you willing to do to get there?

"Sure, it'll be hard. That's why most don't make it. It'll be worth it though. You had a small taste of big-time tennis the other night. Now imagine being on the other end of that score. It's possible but you have to work every day, starting now, to do it. Are you ready?"

If Taylor Townsend really can be a champion, she'll accept the challenge. If she crumbles, better to know now than later.

JamieMU30
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Hey look who it is.

Lmfao...Omg hilarious...I laughed at this for 10 minutes straight...Isn't that Tinky Winky? Too fuckin good...Tinky Winky was good at tennis, too :haha: But I am sure he is the gay teletubbie who carried that "purse"(magic bag) :haha:

jameshazza
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:07 AM
You see why Richard Williams did not want to be beholding to those motherfuckers.

This. He did it the right way. As others have said, she's still playing Juniors and it isn't an issue, so she shouldn't be treated like this until it becomes one.

LadyLil
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:34 AM

This.

Ziggy Starduck
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Great way to improve a young female's self-esteem :facepalm:

Jimmy Dragoon
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:56 AM
Hey look who it is.

Jesus Christ I wet myself :lol::lol::lol::lol:

thegreendestiny
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:08 AM

More of like this

http://www.rumblebee.org/files/barney_300_897.jpg

Whitehead's Boy
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Obviously a very sensitive issue as she is 1) a woman 2) young. However I can only applaud their decision. Check her photo on her wikipedia page; she needs to stop now and lose weight, period. This is what Davenport and others like her should have done back then. It would take her 12 weeks max, so what is the big deal? If she can't do it, then she has issues and it needs to be sorted out. It's not like she needs to look like Ivanovic; looking like Bartoli would be just fine for now.

With the stress of playing tournaments and travelling, it can be pretty hard to lose weight. It's easy to eat too much in those conditions. It's far better for her to entirely focus on fitness with proper exercices to lose weight (as opposed to tennis which isn't optimal for weight loss) and diet.

Drake1980
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:50 AM
disturbing :sad:

Brena
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Taylor's body isn't even done changing! How can they add so much pressure to such a young girl!?!

For these two reasons this just makes no sense to me at all. :unsure:

C. Drone
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Money talks (even if they have hidden reasons). Get a private sponsor or academy and then she can eat whatever wants.
And 16yo is not "a kid" in tennis.

Miracle Worker
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Why this girl doesn't play ITFs? :scratch:

binky-GOAT
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Maybe there's more behind to this than is told in the article?

For example maybe Townsend had denied extra training suggested by USTA to get fitter. Not because she wasn't fit enough, but refused to get fit. I've seen it done before, for example TA has always tried to change Tomic's attitude, they refused to fund him into junior Wimby after his QF at French Open.

jj74
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I find this ridiculous.
First, she is 16, her body is changing, sure she will lose that baby fat without making her weight the focus of attention.
Second, she is a teenage, and being called fat publicly is not the best way to rise her self esteem. If she ends having an eating disorder we know who is to blame.

Serena Willians won Australian Open 2007 (trashing Sharapova in the final) on the worst form of her life, so being a little fat (and Serena was a lot more that a little fat back then) is not such a problem.
Of course it's better being fit, but the girl is only 16, and denying her wcs, and trying to make her withdraw of the juniors, is a shame. Specially when she is the number one in the world.

paul_masterton
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I'm interested to know how many of the posters on this board were quite happy to label players like Naomi Cavaday "fat" but are outraged at this.

Cavaday who of course went on to suffer bulemia as a result of the slagging she got for her weight after appearing at Wimbledon.

The USTA are right to criticise if they don't think Taylor is doing sufficient fitness work, but they must handle the situation more sensitively. Their approach here is just awful, although at its core well intentioned (and correct - at 16 you should be putting in serious fitness work if you want to turn pro rather than go to college).

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I'm interested to know how many of the posters on this board were quite happy to label players like Naomi Cavaday "fat" but are outraged at this.

Cavaday who of course went on to suffer bulemia as a result of the slagging she got for her weight after appearing at Wimbledon.

The USTA are right to criticise if they don't think Taylor is doing sufficient fitness work, but they must handle the situation more sensitively. Their approach here is just awful, although at its core well intentioned (and correct - at 16 you should be putting in serious fitness work if you want to turn pro rather than go to college).

I probably wasn't on TF at the time. But with all do respect, don't you think there's a big difference with what a bunch of internet Smart Alec's, fanatics, know it all's and wannabees say vs the people who are actually training, nurturing and sponsoring you? :scratch:

Just saying? :shrug:

NoChokes
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:32 PM
I probably wasn't on TF at the time. But with all do respect, don't you think there's a big difference with what a bunch of internet Smart Alec's, fanatics, know it all's and wannabees say vs the people who are actually training, nurturing and sponsoring you? :scratch:

Just saying? :shrug:

I think the point that is being made is that if Cavaday had have been told to lose weight by the authorities, the general consensus on here would have been 'quite right too'.

I think that's the difference in the two cases.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Jon Wertheim on Twitter: And oh yeah, taylor townsend, no.1 junior so unfit that usta makes her come here on own dime, played for 213m yesterday, winning twice.

Wording suspiciously parrots this thread title and OP -- :hehehe:

Uranium
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:53 PM
I agree with the eating disorder comment. It is disgusting to do that to her. Meanwhile, Taylor's doubles partner at last year's US Open, Jessica Pegula, was given a QWC, when she is not skinny either. Talent should not be overlooked because you're young and carrying a few extra pounds around the middle. Give them that experience at the top level and they'll hopefully see 'Shit, I need to do so much more to stand a chance at even ITF level'. She has more potential than a few players that were given WCs.

MJF initially said Taylor was injured and now says she is anemic. I hope she is and it is not a story USTA is making ESPN spread to cover up why the #1 Junior got no love. USTA has done a few cover-ups for Fed Cup with MJF as captain. Clearly she has no issue with lying.

Tenis Srbija
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:06 PM
:bigclap: USTA!!!

They are really doing the best to be Slamless nation after Williams retires. Well done.

CoryAnnAvants#1
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Even though this is NOT the right move by the USTA, I have been wondering about Taylor. I assumed the reason she only played six tournaments between the AO and US Open was because she was putting in an extreme amount to devote herself to fitness. But after watching her play yesterday, it's clear that is not the case. There's either some sort of thyroid issue or her diet is crap when she's not being monitored by the USTA. There is no way you should be running around for five hours a day and have a gut like that.

SantaBabyTennis
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Taylor Townsend is winning so much because Ash Barty is cleaning up on ITF. Why is she still playing Juniors? Don't compare her to seniors like Coco. Taylor won't play Coco. Or Sloane, Christina or Varvara. Or Ash Barty, whose record this year at the Slams is the example of the difference between being a Junior and a Senior.

Townsend is a 16 year old young woman that wants to be a professional tennis player and believes very much she'll be a highly successful one. Yet she is very obviously overweight with seriously debatable fitness, and no it's not an issue so long as she keeps playing Juniors. Has anyone paid for Taylor to play, to get as good as she is, only for her to stop playing when she's no longer eligible to play Juniors? Is anyone wrong for encouraging or expecting her to do more than has been necessary for her to beat other Juniors going forward in her career?

It's doubtful the USTA decided to do this whimsically or without considering how it might look. Townsend reminds me of Tomic and Young, a lot of talent with a lot of entitlement to go right along with it. She isn't going to be able to play Juniors much longer, and sooner or later she's going to have to play women that can cover the court without running out of gas after 3 hours. Do you honestly believe, if USTA did nothing about it, they wouldn't get blamed for mishandling her and for not emphasizing the importance of fitness to her? You bet they would, the same way USTA is blamed for Oudin and Young.

We don't know how long USTA has been trying to get her to take fitness seriously. We don't know what conversations they've had with her in the past. We don't know whether they created a reasonable fitness expectation and program for her she refused to do. We don't know they didn't give her clear, fair warning that if she didn't improve her fitness, they wouldn't foot her bill.

What is certain is, if the USTA didn't believe Townsend can go far on the Senior tour, they wouldn't bother.

Pureracket
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Agree or disagree, but this young lady is going to have a complex about every single thing she puts in her mouth for the rest of her life.

SantaBabyTennis
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Agree or disagree, but this young lady is going to have a complex about every single thing she puts in her mouth for the rest of her life.

The fittest players on tour eat like horses. She can have whatever diet she does and meet fitness goals if she does the work.

SophiaTennis
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM
So wait, the USTA's logic is:

-Taylor needs to be in better shape, so we won't support her playing tennis. Even though tennis is an activity that can help her lose weight. Why can't she play and work on her fitness?

-Even though Taylor is #1 in the world, we won't give her any WC or even support her playing in the juniors tournament. We don't want her to play, even though she's the best in the world in her group. If she's winning, let her play and win and add in more fitness to her regimen.

-But we'll give a WC to Coco Vandeweghe, who is clearly out of shape, because fitness matters more for Taylor than Coco???

Stupid. The article clearly states that she knows she has to work on fitness (and has done so). She looks alot slimmer now than she did at the AO. This is the USTA playing favorites and using whatever excuses they have at their disposal. Townsend played 2 matches yesterday and won them both. She even bageled a player in one set.

She can work on her fitness while playing tennis. To exclude her is extreme and frankly, Patrick McEnroe is power-tripping. The wisdom of Richard Williams in avoiding the USTA junior circuit looks even better in retrospect.

Yonexforever
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:28 PM
The USTA and Patrick AND John have their nerve. They have been responsible for talking up Donald Young for far too long.
Her fitness will come, but i enter into evidence Petra Kvitova!
Case fuckin closed rascist bastards!

GoofyDuck
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Poor girl :awww:

ptkten
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Taylor Townsend is winning so much because Ash Barty is cleaning up on ITF. Why is she still playing Juniors? Don't compare her to seniors like Coco. Taylor won't play Coco. Or Sloane, Christina or Varvara. Or Ash Barty, whose record this year at the Slams is the example of the difference between being a Junior and a Senior.

Townsend is a 16 year old young woman that wants to be a professional tennis player and believes very much she'll be a highly successful one. Yet she is very obviously overweight with seriously debatable fitness, and no it's not an issue so long as she keeps playing Juniors. Has anyone paid for Taylor to play, to get as good as she is, only for her to stop playing when she's no longer eligible to play Juniors? Is anyone wrong for encouraging or expecting her to do more than has been necessary for her to beat other Juniors going forward in her career?

It's doubtful the USTA decided to do this whimsically or without considering how it might look. Townsend reminds me of Tomic and Young, a lot of talent with a lot of entitlement to go right along with it. She isn't going to be able to play Juniors much longer, and sooner or later she's going to have to play women that can cover the court without running out of gas after 3 hours. Do you honestly believe, if USTA did nothing about it, they wouldn't get blamed for mishandling her and for not emphasizing the importance of fitness to her? You bet they would, the same way USTA is blamed for Oudin and Young.

We don't know how long USTA has been trying to get her to take fitness seriously. We don't know what conversations they've had with her in the past. We don't know whether they created a reasonable fitness expectation and program for her she refused to do. We don't know they didn't give her clear, fair warning that if she didn't improve her fitness, they wouldn't foot her bill.

What is certain is, if the USTA didn't believe Townsend can go far on the Senior tour, they wouldn't bother.

What are you talking about? Taylor is 16 years old Coco is 21 and Sloane is 19, they are not in her age group at all. Almost all 16 year olds play the junior slams. Also, where do you get that she's entitled? Nothing in the article indicates any sort of behavior even close to Tomic or Young. Some younger women struggle with weight even if they work hard to keep it off, you have no idea what sort of situation she is dealing with. I agree we may not have the full facts but Pat McEnroe was interviewed for the article so he had the opportunity to explain himself more and did not.

SophiaTennis
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Taylor is 16 years old Coco is 21 and Sloane is 19, they are not in her age group at all. Almost all 16 year olds play the junior slams. Also, where do you get that she's entitled? Nothing in the article indicates any sort of behavior even close to Tomic or Young.

Totally agree with this. The article specifically says that the girl has a sunny disposition.

Is it really entitled for a junior world #1 from America to think that she should be supported by the USTA in a junior slam? :confused:

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Well, she lost. Now the USTA can send her to labor camp.

CTSEMT
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:49 PM
It will be interesting to see what's next for Taylor.

TTC interview with her is up online for those interested: http://www.tennischannel.com/video/

Slammer7
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I agree with the eating disorder comment. It is disgusting to do that to her. Meanwhile, Taylor's doubles partner at last year's US Open, Jessica Pegula, was given a QWC, when she is not skinny either. Talent should not be overlooked because you're young and carrying a few extra pounds around the middle. Give them that experience at the top level and they'll hopefully see 'Shit, I need to do so much more to stand a chance at even ITF level'. She has more potential than a few players that were given WCs.

MJF initially said Taylor was injured and now says she is anemic. I hope she is and it is not a story USTA is making ESPN spread to cover up why the #1 Junior got no love. USTA has done a few cover-ups for Fed Cup with MJF as captain. Clearly she has no issue with lying.

Totally agree. :worship: I remember hearing that Taylor was injured as well. I remember thinking when I saw that she was in the Junior Draw "Oh wow I guess she's better. :confused:" How awful of them to lie like that and now it's all revealed for the world to know. Good, good for them to be exposed as liars, but I do wish Taylor didn't have to deal with a media shitstorm because she has an issue so many girls/people in general face everyday. She doesn't deserve to be shamed and publicly embarrassed for being the I don't know how many thousandth junior tennis player to be overweight. :( And as I type this she just lost. :sad: Poor girl. Here's hoping that she can shake this nonsense off and that she can get the proper support she deserves in the future. Sadly that might not be from the USTA. :o

edificio
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:57 PM

-Taylor needs to be in better shape, so we won't support her playing tennis. Even though tennis is an activity that can help her lose weight. Why can't she play and work on her fitness?

-Even though Taylor is #1 in the world, we won't give her any WC or even support her playing in the juniors tournament. We don't want her to play, even though she's the best in the world in her group. If she's winning, let her play and win and add in more fitness to her regimen.

-But we'll give a WC to Coco Vandeweghe, who is clearly out of shape, because fitness matters more for Taylor than Coco???

Stupid. The article clearly states that she knows she has to work on fitness (and has done so). She looks alot slimmer now than she did at the AO. This is the USTA playing favorites and using whatever excuses they have at their disposal. Townsend played 2 matches yesterday and won them both. She even bageled a player in one set.

She can work on her fitness while playing tennis. To exclude her is extreme and frankly, Patrick McEnroe is power-tripping. The wisdom of Richard Williams in avoiding the USTA junior circuit looks even better in retrospect.

:yeah: This is exactly the problem I have with the USTA decision. The illogic is astounding.

Serena y Monica
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I have no words for the ignorance of this statement. Serena may not have been in top shape but she was not nor has ever been fat. To suggest it shows how distorted your world view is.

Slammer7
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Huh? She just turned 16 this summer, she is not fully physically mature. In tennis terms and by many American standards she is not a woman. I don't know if I've ever even heard that phrase before "16 year old woman." So was she a '15 year old woman' 3 months ago too? :unsure:

In response to the rest of your post, I don't think anyone is saying the USTA is wrong in encouraging her to be fitter, it's just the way they went about it from what we can see from the article. Is there more to the story? Maybe, but we don't know that right now and people are basing their opinions on what they do know. :shrug: She can play juniors for another 2 years, but I doubt she will be unfit even by next years U.S Open. I think it's only reasonable to give the girl at least 6 months to a year to get her fitness in order, but from what one can gather from the article the USTA didn't even give her that before they started implementing playing restrictions. :o

Also this is a totally unprecedented move. Navartilova and Davenport would have both been benched as Juniors by these standards. :o

supermod
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I'm not sure it's a good move from USTA but at the same time I don't understand the drama and outrage. They probably talked to her about her fitness for a long time, and think it's time to put a bit more pressure on her now.

Happens to juniors in other sports too.

KBdoubleu
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:54 PM

How exactly did you come to the conclusion that she is entitled? Quote from the article: Townsend, who possesses a sunny disposition, isn't holding a grudge against the USTA. "I've gotten a lot of great opportunities, great fitness, great coaching," she said. "I'm doing everything that they ask me to do and being professional about everything." Shelia Townsend, who moved to Florida with her daughter and works in the Palm Beach school system, agreed the USTA academy had been good for her daughter. "It has afforded her a lot of opportunities," she said. That doesn't come across as entitled at all to me.

blainec
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Just a note Taylor Townsend was in the players to watch in qualifying guide the usta puts out... so this was obviously something they decided last minute. They must not have been happy with what they saw in Vancouver. I'm shocked they asked her not to play usta 18s that's dissapointing. I like Taylor and want her to succeed but their is def more to the story... Racism please most of the girls the usta are supporting are mixed race...

matty
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Fuck them! She's a 16 year old girl. She will be losing that weight as she grows.

She needs to win this tournament and tell them to go hang.

This really pisses me off.

Did they tell Melanie Oudin this and cut off her funding?

Melanie Oudin was not this large. Taylor obviously needs to lose weight, but cutting funding seems really stupid and harsh for the #1 jr---still doubt race plays a part.

Rocketta
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Wow, what craziness! I'm so sick and tired of all these idiots in the USTA clique. If you want a job behind the scenes in tennis then you shouldn't also have a job behind the mic pretending to be an unbiased journalist. I mean sure American announcers are going to be pro USA players the general plubic expects that but what we don't expect is for our commnetators to lie, fabricate, shit and grin because of loyalties to others behind the scene as opposed to the general public.

Rocketta
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Just a note Taylor Townsend was in the players to watch in qualifying guide the usta puts out... so this was obviously something they decided last minute. They must not have been happy with what they saw in Vancouver. I'm shocked they asked her not to play usta 18s that's dissapointing. I like Taylor and want her to succeed but their is def more to the story... Racism please most of the girls the usta are supporting are mixed race...

and a lot of slave owners had mix-raced children so clearly they weren't racist either using that thinking... :clap2:

Slammer7
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure it's a good move from USTA but at the same time I don't understand the drama and outrage. They probably talked to her about her fitness for a long time, and think it's time to put a bit more pressure on her now.

Happens to juniors in other sports too.

What would you consider a long time? Was she encouraged/pressured to lose weight 6 months ago at 15? A little over a year ago at 14? How long have they given her to improve? See we don't know this. What if the girl has an underlying condition that's hindering her? They've already discovered she's anemic and they didn't know that before. I don't think the outrage would even be as bad if she was 17 (much closer to physical maturity) and less than a year out from being a full time pro, but she's 2 years away from that. :shrug:

Maybe so, but it's not the norm for tennis and that's what we're talking about here. By this standard 16 year old Lindsay Davenport? Benched. 16 year old Martina Navratilova? Benched. 16 year old Alisa Kleybanova? Benched. 16 year old Petra Kvitova? Benched. 16 year old Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova? Benched. All of these women have been top 20 players, 3 of them are GS champions and they have all won to varying degrees at below optimal fitness levels. Yet Taylor wasn't going to be allowed to play Juniors at a below optimal fitness level? :o If she's good enough to play and win she should be allowed to play. If she's insubordinate then the USTA can and should withdraw funding, but that doesn't appear to be the case at all. She has the results and from what we can tell she's doing what they ask, yet they still chose to punish her. That is what people are outraged about.

Rocketta
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Melanie Oudin was not this large. Taylor obviously needs to lose weight, but cutting funding seems really stupid and harsh for the #1 jr---still doubt race plays a part.

consider Oudin's game is based on her speed and ability to be a counterpuncher.... the weight that she was carrying the last time I saw her is more than limiting her talent and her possible good results. Isn't that the point? Not if two individuals weigh the exact same? For Melenie's frame and style of play she was indeed very much out of shape for tennis and that's the point.

Raiden
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:16 PM
The USTA is clearly obsessed (to the point of deliberately manipulating the schedule & forcing her play twice a day, in a quest to make her "sweat" extra pounds off and lose weight :rolls:

matty
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:17 PM

I agree--I mean his brother adores Serena--I doubt Patrick is racist.

matty
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:19 PM
consider Oudin's game is based on her speed and ability to be a counterpuncher.... the weight that she was carrying the last time I saw her is more than limiting her talent and her possible good results. Isn't that the point? Not if two individuals weigh the exact same? For Melenie's frame and style of play she was indeed very much out of shape for tennis and that's the point.

I think we can assume Melanie's weight gain later at age 19-20 was partly due to her family issues/parent's divorce/betrayal by her coach being splattered all over the news including the NY times.

StephenUK
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:21 PM
There seems to be a lot of knee-jerk defence of Townsend and criticism of the USTA but I think it is more complicated than that.

It is obvious that the issue of Townsend's fitness - and fatness - has been simmering throughout the year and the USTA's decision not to fund her to play the USO Juniors or allow her WCs into qualifying or main draw is due to this.

The USTA clearly believes that it is this lack of condition that has led to Townsend's declining form over the last few months and that this is down to Taylor herself, presumably down to poor diet. The fact that she is still junior No 1 is more a testament to her previous results and the inconsistency of her rivals than to her own achievements as she has not won a junior tournament since the spring and flopped at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, where she clearly looked out of condition. Meanwhile, her senior ranking has actually fallen this year from 428 to 583 and her only senior tournament was a 6-1 6-2 drubbing by junior rival Victoria Duval in the first round of Vancouver $100k qualies. Compare that to last year when she drove Laura Robson to a final set tiebreak in the US Open qualifying.

There is something not well in the world of Taylor Townsend this year. Given these performances, I don't think the USTA can be criticised for failing to award her wild cards into either main draw or qualifying at the US Open. Whether the USTA are right to use these shock tactics and try to bully her into getting fitter, is another matter. Here in Britain, the LTA withdrew funding and coaching from Naomi Broady over pictures appearing on Bebo, which is far harsher than the Townsend ban. I think that not funding her to go to the US Open juniors does seem petty, but the main thing is whether this wake up call works, or whether it will just lead to further insecurity and problems.

One sad consequence of her not receiving a wild card into US Open qualies is that she will lose 40 points from last year, so her ranking will fall several hundred places further, as she only has a qf of a $10k on her ranking from last year left, so she will practically have to rebuild her senior ranking from scratch if she doesn't get a protected ranking of some kind.

jj74
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I don't understand why she is being compared with Tomic or Young. In fact i don't understand why Tomic and Young are compared, maybe both have some issues, but Tomic is a lot more succesful than Young being younger than him.

Second, i don't think Taylor has any problem of attitude, she remained cool while Putintseva smashed her racket on her way to the handshake.

Nobody is saying that USTA is wrong in wanted her to be fitter, what it's wrong is banning her from getting wc, trying to make her not play in the juniors, and make public they think she is fat. That's not good at all.

And about Barty, i think she made a mistake not playing juniors. Lately girls need more time to become competitive, and Barty is simply too small to be competitive at 16 at the higher level. In my opinion she would do better in combine juniors and itf tournaments. By the way, she is doing great at itfs, she is simply not ready to be competitive at GS yet.

And i hope both, Taylor and Ashleigh do well in the future because i really like their games

matty
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM
I'm already awared about the fact that some black people could find racial issue where there isn't, but racial prejudice is an actual issue that still existed in the US and are still the concern of general public. Is closing your eyes and deny the problem would make it go away? How could you explain the case of Coco with her shape would get the WCs into the US tournaments while Taylor couldn't ? What's the difference between them?

Taylor seems chunkier than Coco.

young_gunner913
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I agree--I mean his brother adores Serena--I doubt Patrick is racist.

What the fuck? :lol: I don't think Patrick is racist either but John's likes/views have no bearing on Patrick's likes/views. Patrick is just a prick. He has no career of his own other than being John's little brother. Taylor needs a big sister to come shut Patrick's ass down like Venus had to do.

Rocketta
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I think we can assume Melanie's weight gain later at age 19-20 was partly due to her family issues/parent's divorce/betrayal by her coach being splattered all over the news including the NY times.

That is probably true. Doesn't really matter though does it in terms of tennis funding. I think the lengths they went to punish Townsend for her weight is what makes the comparrison to other athletes funded by the USDA relevent. It's one thing to not give wild cards (something that is more than a privilidge of being a american junior) as opposed to trying to stop her from competing in a tornament that is a right she has earned. Makes me think some people think too highly of their position and what they control. They can control the money BUT they never need to think they can control the person.

Volcana
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:31 PM
The long term problem for the USTA is getting yet another top player who plays the bare minimum Fed Cup to qualify for the Olympics. The kid may forget about this. The mother won't. And if I'm Nike, I swoop in and sign this kid to a contract that takes care of expenses, and suddenly the USTA has no leverage. You give no loyalty, you get no loyalty.

(BTW, notice that article Listed Davenport at 175lb. She was pushing 200 easy in the mid 90's.)

Joe.
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:31 PM
So ridiculous. She's the #1 Junior in the world- her weight is clearly not a problem.

BOEING 717
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:32 PM
1. I do not agree with the decision (if indeed this news article is true) Taylor is a very talented young player and there are not many juniors with more skill then her. Chubby or not it's her results that count.

2. I am amazed at how fast race or skin color got brought up. Anyone who really knows how the USTA is run knows that this is not a race issue. The USTA pushes hard to have a mix of color and sex with no racist overtones. I am sure there are those who look down on a player because of race but take a look at where they put their money for junior programs. If anything it seems like the USTA would bend over backwards to help out Townsend.

3. Her weight is an issue and at the junior level she does get away with it but the USTA and their coaching program has tried to work with her and her volume for over a year now. Taylor does need to take training and diet more seriously not just for her career but her health. McEnroe is a class act and is not trying to wreck a top US juniors career, anyone who thinks he is frankly is nuts.

4. The weight issue is not new and did not just suddenly raise it's head. Anyone who has been going to junior tournaments in the past year or two has herd all the comments on her size and lack of physical health. Her amazing talent will only take her so far in the professional tennis world, her lack of foot speed and stamina is a huge red flag that must be taken seriously. I would love to see her a top 10 player and really think she could be such. Don't let this knock you down Taylor

Rocketta
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:34 PM
What the fuck? :lol: I don't think Patrick is racist either but John's likes/views have no bearing on Patrick's likes/views. Patrick is just a prick. He has no career of his own other than being John's little brother. Taylor needs a big sister to come shut Patrick's ass down like Venus had to do.

and for a long time John and Patrick could barely stand each other and definitely didn't agree on how to cultivate the American Juniors to produce champions. :lol:

I don't know if Patrick is racist, a narcissist, or just a general male chauvenist prick... but I bet he's a least one of them. :help:

brickhousesupporter
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:36 PM
and for a long time John and Patrick could barely stand each other and definitely didn't agree on how to cultivate the American Juniors to produce champions. :lol:

I don't know if Patrick is racist, a narcissist, or just a general male chauvenist prick... but I bet he's a least one of them. :help:
Yes, not too long ago, Patrick sided with the USTA against his brother. Johnny boy was not too happy about that.

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM

What in the world do you mean by "mixed race".

So because one or two players, now there all "mixed race"; or do you mean the USTA is supporting a "mixture"? :tape:

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:46 PM
There seems to be a lot of knee-jerk defence of Townsend and criticism of the USTA but I think it is more complicated than that.

It is obvious that the issue of Townsend's fitness - and fatness - has been simmering throughout the year and the USTA's decision not to fund her to play the USO Juniors or allow her WCs into qualifying or main draw is due to this.

The USTA clearly believes that it is this lack of condition that has led to Townsend's declining form over the last few months and that this is down to Taylor herself, presumably down to poor diet. The fact that she is still junior No 1 is more a testament to her previous results and the inconsistency of her rivals than to her own achievements as she has not won a junior tournament since the spring and flopped at Roland Garros and Wimbledon, where she clearly looked out of condition. Meanwhile, her senior ranking has actually fallen this year from 428 to 583 and her only senior tournament was a 6-1 6-2 drubbing by junior rival Victoria Duval in the first round of Vancouver $100k qualies. Compare that to last year when she drove Laura Robson to a final set tiebreak in the US Open qualifying.

There is something not well in the world of Taylor Townsend this year. Given these performances, I don't think the USTA can be criticised for failing to award her wild cards into either main draw or qualifying at the US Open. Whether the USTA are right to use these shock tactics and try to bully her into getting fitter, is another matter. Here in Britain, the LTA withdrew funding and coaching from Naomi Broady over pictures appearing on Bebo, which is far harsher than the Townsend ban. I think that not funding her to go to the US Open juniors does seem petty, but the main thing is whether this wake up call works, or whether it will just lead to further insecurity and problems.

One sad consequence of her not receiving a wild card into US Open qualies is that she will lose 40 points from last year, so her ranking will fall several hundred places further, as she only has a qf of a $10k on her ranking from last year left, so she will practically have to rebuild her senior ranking from scratch if she doesn't get a protected ranking of some kind.

Good measured post.

I think one thing Patrick McEnroe could of done, was refrain from commenting to the media regarding this story (and if he did, be a lot more tactful and considerate of his audience).

He just came off as an unfeeling, inconsiderate ignoramus in his brief comments.

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:54 PM
1. I do not agree with the decision (if indeed this news article is true) Taylor is a very talented young player and there are not many juniors with more skill then her. Chubby or not it's her results that count.

2. I am amazed at how fast race or skin color got brought up. Anyone who really knows how the USTA is run knows that this is not a race issue. The USTA pushes hard to have a mix of color and sex with no racist overtones. I am sure there are those who look down on a player because of race but take a look at where they put their money for junior programs. If anything it seems like the USTA would bend over backwards to help out Townsend.

3. Her weight is an issue and at the junior level she does get away with it but the USTA and their coaching program has tried to work with her and her volume for over a year now. Taylor does need to take training and diet more seriously not just for her career but her health. McEnroe is a class act and is not trying to wreck a top US juniors career, anyone who thinks he is frankly is nuts.

4. The weight issue is not new and did not just suddenly raise it's head. Anyone who has been going to junior tournaments in the past year or two has herd all the comments on her size and lack of physical health. Her amazing talent will only take her so far in the professional tennis world, her lack of foot speed and stamina is a huge red flag that must be taken seriously. I would love to see her a top 10 player and really think she could be such. Don't let this knock you down Taylor

Everything you said is true and makes sense. I would have a tendency to agree.

Some posters just wondered why the USTA (who P. McEnroe may not been the head of Player Develop in the past) didn't do the same for Coco Vanderweighe, , Lindsay Davenport and others?

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:58 PM

Based off of what I know of the two of them, JOHN is the much more cooler brother (and would be if you met him).

John was very open-years ago by saying "The best future tennis players in America are playing point guard in the NBA, and we need to get them, when their young".

He was always open and never seemed to have a lot of hang ups about a lot of things. He was always a free spirit (minus his bad boy behavior as a player).

And he openly loved, admired and deified Arthur Ashe, even before he died, or it became en vogue.

Rocketta
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:02 PM

Some posters just wondered why the USTA (who P. McEnroe may not been the head of Player Develop in the past) didn't do the same for Coco Vanderweighe, , Lindsay Davenport and others?

but doesn't Coco, Melanie and all train at the USTA under some kind of training program currently????

colt13
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:07 PM
:o

Eating disorder time.

That is what scares me.

I just dont understand the timing. If she is #100, I can see changing training methods and putting funding elsewhere. But she already is #1. Just doesn't make sense.

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:12 PM
but doesn't Coco, Melanie and all train at the USTA under some kind of training program currently????

They do.

But we were talking about when they were Juniors, and the USTA never did anything like this to them (particularly Coco).

I don't think Oudin was that big as a junior. Vanderweighe, well that's another story (though she's slimmer/more toned now; while still a big girl). :lol:

colt13
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:19 PM
The long term problem for the USTA is getting yet another top player who plays the bare minimum Fed Cup to qualify for the Olympics. The kid may forget about this. The mother won't. And if I'm Nike, I swoop in and sign this kid to a contract that takes care of expenses, and suddenly the USTA has no leverage. You give no loyalty, you get no loyalty.

(BTW, notice that article Listed Davenport at 175lb. She was pushing 200 easy in the mid 90's.)

Now playing for Kazakhstan in the 2016 Olympics, Taylor Townsend.

I see some of the disdain is pointed toward Patrick McEnroe. Isn't he the one behind Bogomolov paying 75k to the USTA when he left them and became Russian?

matty
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:27 PM

Racism is often a learned behavior--my point was that they are brothers and grew up with the same parents and I doubt he is racist and that this has anything to do with racism.

matty
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:31 PM
That is probably true. Doesn't really matter though does it in terms of tennis funding. I think the lengths they went to punish Townsend for her weight is what makes the comparrison to other athletes funded by the USDA relevent. It's one thing to not give wild cards (something that is more than a privilidge of being a american junior) as opposed to trying to stop her from competing in a tornament that is a right she has earned. Makes me think some people think too highly of their position and what they control. They can control the money BUT they never need to think they can control the person.

Melanie had already proven herself with a slam qf, wimby 4th round and top 35 ranking. She got fat/unfit after those results and after the debacle with her coach and parents. My point is that the situation is not the same. I still think it was too harsh of a punishment for Taylor, but the two are not the same.

duhcity
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:06 PM
The way I read this is that it was a terrible PR move, but not a terrible one tennis wise.

Taylor clearly didn't deserve a WC this year because of her play - it would've ended up Ashleigh Barty like, a real waste even with the hype.

Taylor doesn't need to win the USO juniors to be on the USTA's radar - she'll be guaranteed USO WC's for several years. So they encouraged her work on her fitness.

guichard
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:18 PM

Maybe the issue is that USTA Player development is a new thing. They weren't around for young Vanderweighe/Davenport

From the article in the OP:

"Most American tennis prodigies have been developed by private coaches, academies and persistent parents, sometimes with supplemental help from the USTA. In 2008, though, the organization decided it needed to do more about the decline of American tennis and founded its first full-time academy in Boca Raton, Fla., where Townsend is one of 25 select juniors. The USTA also trains 41 juniors in Carson, Calif., and the National Tennis Center in Flushing, the site of the U.S. Open."

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Maybe the issue is that USTA Player development is a new thing. They weren't around for young Vanderweighe/Davenport

From the article in the OP:

"Most American tennis prodigies have been developed by private coaches, academies and persistent parents, sometimes with supplemental help from the USTA. In 2008, though, the organization decided it needed to do more about the decline of American tennis and founded its first full-time academy in Boca Raton, Fla., where Townsend is one of 25 select juniors. The USTA also trains 41 juniors in Carson, Calif., and the National Tennis Center in Flushing, the site of the U.S. Open."

Thanks.

However, by this time line, both Oudin and Vanderweighe would qualify.

Donald Young is 22 now, and had received helped, training and tutelage from them.

I think Coco and Melanie are 20, 21 now.

guichard
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Thanks.

However, by this time line, both Oudin and Vanderweighe would qualify.

Donald Young is 22 now, and had received helped, training and tutelage from them.

I think Coco and Melanie are 20, 21 now.
The program started in 2008, it probably took them a year to be in full operation mode. Vanderweghe and Oudin turned 18 in 2008.

In post 119 you said : "But we were talking about when they were Juniors, and the USTA never did anything like this to them (particularly Coco).I don't think Oudin was that big as a junior"

marineblue
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:01 PM
So USTA was whining about not having a new champion in sight and now they do this. Idiotic,really.:o

starin
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:14 PM
She really does need to lose weight so I'm kind of glad the USTA is giving her a wake up call. She needs to look at Alisa Kleybanova to see what her body type should look like to be successful on tour.

Meelis
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM
@zootennis (https://twitter.com/zootennis)

Mistake by ITF in putting Townsend & Andrews in tiny Interview area 5. Many ?s for Townsend about WSJ article & her relationship w/usta

Townsend said she hadn't read @tomperrotta's article in WSJ, but everything in it is true. Thanked family & friends for support.

guichard
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Davenport and Navratilova are ‘Livid’ About USTA Decision http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/09/07/tennis-legends-livid-about-usta-decision/

edificio
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:18 PM
She really does need to lose weight so I'm kind of glad the USTA is giving her a wake up call. She needs to look at Alisa Kleybanova to see what her body type should look like to be successful on tour.

She is in no way that tall.

Davenport and Navratilova are ‘Livid’ About USTA Decision http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/09/07/tennis-legends-livid-about-usta-decision/

So glad to hear that. I don't see how not playing helps anything at all. They could have given her a wild card into qualifying.

Sammo
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Putontseva is fatter

Sombrerero loco
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:27 PM
even being that fat she is winning. so imagine if she was fit...
i hope she can get slimmer so we can enjoy more her tennis

bad manners there anyway, she is so young to be that cruel from her team...

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Putontseva is fatter
Yulia isn't fat.

BillFromRichmond
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:49 PM
I agree with the USTA 100%. Her fatness shows a lack of discipline which will be fatal when she faces real tour talent.

Thanks USTA for telling the apologists for fat people to pound sand.

PhilePhile
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:54 PM
The conclusion: Fitness and health trump weight and body composition when it comes to long-term wellness. This is a notion Iíve been preaching for some time (check out my previous post about how to determine your ideal weight), and I think itís critical because Iíve seen many people worsen their health and fitness in the pursuit of thinness. Iíve also worked in oncology and cardiac rehab, and there were thin patients in both settings.

Unfortunately our society is programmed to believe that weight determines health, or that you canít possibly be obese and healthy, and neither it true. That doesnít mean you need to abandon your weight-loss goals if you truly want to shed pounds. But it does mean that at any size, fitness and health should be your primary goals.

- Friday, 9/7/2012 at 9:54:40 AM by Cynthia Sass, shape.com (http://www.shape.com/blogs/weight-loss-coach/can-you-be-obese-and-fit)

Sombrerero loco
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Putontseva is fatter

lol no way, she is so fit indeed

Slammer7
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I agree with the USTA 100%. Her fatness shows a lack of discipline which will be fatal when she faces real tour talent.

Thanks USTA for telling the apologists for fat people to pound sand.

Those 'apologists' include one of the fittest players of all time who happens to be many peoples pick as greatest of all time, Martina Navratilova. :wavey:

Lulu.
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Just awful.

Excelscior
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:11 PM
I guess Patrick knew he wouldn't be on the air with ESPN when this broke out. :tape:

Sombrerero loco
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Looking at this picture I think that McEnroe has a point. She needs to stay out of KFC.

http://www.wta96.com/wiki/images/f/f3/Taylor_TOWNSEND_3469.jpg
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1206/future-game-changers/images/taylor-townsend.6.jpg

Uranium
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Totally agree. :worship: I remember hearing that Taylor was injured as well. I remember thinking when I saw that she was in the Junior Draw "Oh wow I guess she's better. :confused:" How awful of them to lie like that and now it's all revealed for the world to know. Good, good for them to be exposed as liars, but I do wish Taylor didn't have to deal with a media shitstorm because she has an issue so many girls/people in general face everyday. She doesn't deserve to be shamed and publicly embarrassed for being the I don't know how many thousandth junior tennis player to be overweight. :( And as I type this she just lost. :sad: Poor girl. Here's hoping that she can shake this nonsense off and that she can get the proper support she deserves in the future. Sadly that might not be from the USTA. :o

Seriously. They are coming across incredibly shady and have always shown favoritism to certain girls. A few girls were given far too many WC chances the past few years, while others that deserve the opportunity get ignored. I'm still peeved over a few Fed Cup things with MJF too. They are just showing off how shady they are as an organization and how they like to pick favorites, really.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:19 PM
She looks like she's making strides here:
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2012+US+Open+Day+11+iVyPHNvtem4l.jpg

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/2012+US+Open+Day+11+WDLQYa5DblTl.jpg

The Dawntreader
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Even if she isn't in great condition, you don't actively penalise and withdraw someone from the team because of it. It sets up a very horrible and sinister precedent.

StephenUK
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I am sure the fatness would not be an issue if Townsend had won junior Wimbledon and Roland Garros and followed it up with a couple of ITFs in the summer, but her alarming slump in form since the spring has clearly been blamed on this. People have mentioned Coco and Lindsay but Coco has stormed up the rankings this year, whereas Lindsay's rise up the rankings was pretty seamless at both junior and senior level, despite her heftiness. Kvitova and Bartoli have retained places in and around the top ten despite love handles. The USTA is sending out the message that it does not think Townsend is taking her career seriously enough, is wasting her talent by bad eating/fitness habits, as the results are showing.

The fact is that the USA has a lot of good up and coming players - two of the four junior semi-finalists, Victoria Duval and Samantha Crawford, are American and have been in much better form than Townsend over the summer, so Townsend's star is clearly waning at the moment. Townsend will presumably lose her top junior ranking soon and her senior ranking is about to totally disappear, from 428 earlier in the year, unless she plays some more tournaments and wins some more matches in the next few weeks.

Tennis Fool
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I am sure the fatness would not be an issue if Townsend had won junior Wimbledon and Roland Garros and followed it up with a couple of ITFs in the summer, but her alarming slump in form since the spring has clearly been blamed on this. People have mentioned Coco and Lindsay but Coco has stormed up the rankings this year, whereas Lindsay's rise up the rankings was pretty seamless at both junior and senior level, despite her heftiness. Kvitova and Bartoli have retained places in and around the top ten despite love handles. The USTA is sending out the message that it does not think Townsend is taking her career seriously enough, is wasting her talent by bad eating/fitness habits, as the results are showing.

The fact is that the USA has a lot of good up and coming players - two of the four junior semi-finalists, Victoria Duval and Samantha Crawford, are American and have been in much better form than Townsend over the summer, so Townsend's star is clearly waning at the moment. Townsend will presumably lose her top junior ranking soon and her senior ranking is about to totally disappear, from 428 earlier in the year, unless she plays some more tournaments and wins some more matches in the next few weeks.
How can she do this if the USTA pulls her off the tour?

sweetadri06
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:42 PM
taylor does not look that big. I bet she will slim down some more as she gets older. She looks like Kvitova actually.

edificio
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:56 PM
Navratilova: No matter what, the kid is 16. It’s baby fat, it’s going to come off. She would have to starve to the point of where she can’t play to lose weight, so then she can’t compete. And she’s the No. 1 junior. It is absolutely insane what they did, so irresponsible. If anything, play more. Don’t go into the gym. Just watch [what you eat], but in a positive and constructive and long-term way. But to throw this on her at 16? I’m trying to be nice here, but they totally blew it on this one.

Davenport: I won the nationals at 15 [in the 18-and-under division]. My heaviest was more at 18, 19, when my parents were getting divorced. But I was never slim. I had an obese father, and we had a great childhood, but a good diet was not part of it, even though I was an athlete. I was not svelte at 15, and I was not fit at 15. If they had told me I could not play, I mean, that could have ruined my career.

There were definitely people within the USTA who didn’t think I had a chance to make it. I was very fortunate that I had Lynne, who was like, “This girl is doing great, she’s a nice girl, why wouldn’t we help her?” You just can’t turn your back on someone when they’re doing well and they’re a great kid. They’ve helped people with the worst attitudes, and that is way worse to me than someone’s body type.

These women know what they are talking about.

Slammer7
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:13 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m41811Gbfc1r1io7p.gif to Martina and Lindsay. :worship:

WowWow
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:38 PM
What they did is inexcusable.
Townsend's health is clearly not endangered by her weight, so I call bullshit.

Rocketta
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:54 PM
Yup, Lindsay and Martina laid it down... especially the part about the USTA rewarding athletes with horrendous attitudes with wild cards but have the gaul to punish a child because she's naturally hefty. <shakes my head> I'm with Martina, Everyone should be livid at this treatment of a child.

shoparound
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:55 PM

USTA didn't let her play during the summer...

Morrissey
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:58 PM
She won 2 matches today to reach the girls QF. :oh:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444273704577635530959121916.html

But when I read about Patrick McEnroe he's a real fucking asshole.

Imagine, if you are sixteen year old girl and someone said that you were too fat to become a great tennis player?

PhilePhile
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:40 AM
How can she do this if the USTA pulls her off the tour?

USTA didn't let her play during the summer...

She is not banned from playing (I hope not! That would be a civil right issue) ... just not on USTA's dime.

Vespertine69
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:42 AM
I don't think anyone would dispute that the girl is carrying a few pounds too many for optimum sporting performance, but as others have posted, it really isn't the point. I'm really quite shocked that this would be done so openly and in the public eye... I can understand the USTA pulling her aside to try and achieve improved fitness to give her better longterm prospects, but going about things in this way is a) awful PR and b) potentially really harmful to both Townsend and her future as a player.

Obviously, the USTA is free to make its decisions as it sees fit, but it has really screwed this up in a way that may prove hard to mend. I usually think that people seeing racism in tennis decisions are just projecting something that isn't there... but this is a case where it seems very very strange to make this decision versus how they have treated Vandeweghe and others. I think it's hard to understand from a perspective of living in the UK. We certainly have racist people here, but we have so so many more people who are offended by it and institutional racism like that seems unimaginable from a sporting body against one of your own best prospects.

Of course, it is possible there is more to the story than we know... hard to judge without knowing the whole story inside out. But I admit it does certainly seem shocking on the surface of things.

Motho
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:57 AM
Yup, Lindsay and Martina laid it down... especially the part about the USTA rewarding athletes with horrendous attitudes with wild cards but have the gaul to punish a child because she's naturally hefty. <shakes my head> I'm with Martina, Everyone should be livid at this treatment of a child.

I'm also with Lindsay and Martina as well. I don't have an issue with Taylor being denied a wildcard by some power mongers. However, what kind of adult (or so-called leader) tells a 16-year old kid (who has busted her butt to be #1 in THE WORLD) to skip a junior slam tourney on her home turf? To me, that's not heartless; it also indicates a lack of visionary leadership. Perhaps this makes sense why the visionary Richard Williams (the same guy who said Taylor is better than her girls at that age) never drank the "USTA-experts" kool-aid when it came to Serena and Venus. By the way, if you have never seen this girl play, check out some this video footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FamGXRhZ0A). This girl has an all around game - including a serve and volley - that will only get better. After I saw some of her matches, it made sense why she's #1 in the world.

young_gunner913
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:57 AM

USTA agrees too now that they've been getting a fire lit under their asses. They're now going to pay for Taylor's expenses. Too little, too late as far as I'm concerned. Hopefully they sack that piece of shit Patrick Mcenroe.

rafaelkafka
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:16 AM
[QUOTE=misty1;22161704]thats disgusting really

this is a 16 year old girl and they are telling her she's to fat to get funding. You need to be in shape to play this sport but its way to early to be talking like this about her

If you don't save her now... I said that she was very fat months ago here and many reacted with stupid things like "baby fat". There is no baby fat but there is Pizza, Doritos, fried crap, etc.

Morrissey
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Patrick McEnroe is a racist and he is a misogynist his comments about Taylor Townsend and the USTA are EXTREME and very OFFENSIVE! Taylor is only sixteen year old! The USTA really needs to get some perspective and class! So rude to talk to a teenage girl like this! Teen girls are vulnerable about body image I do not want Taylor to have problems with anorexia or bulimia. Young girls are under so much pressure! Totally out of line of Patrick McEnroe and the USTA he needs to pay for this kind of bigotry!

Morrissey
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I don't think anyone would dispute that the girl is carrying a few pounds too many for optimum sporting performance, but as others have posted, it really isn't the point. I'm really quite shocked that this would be done so openly and in the public eye... I can understand the USTA pulling her aside to try and achieve improved fitness to give her better longterm prospects, but going about things in this way is a) awful PR and b) potentially really harmful to both Townsend and her future as a player.

Obviously, the USTA is free to make its decisions as it sees fit, but it has really screwed this up in a way that may prove hard to mend. I usually think that people seeing racism in tennis decisions are just projecting something that isn't there... but this is a case where it seems very very strange to make this decision versus how they have treated Vandeweghe and others. I think it's hard to understand from a perspective of living in the UK. We certainly have racist people here, but we have so so many more people who are offended by it and institutional racism like that seems unimaginable from a sporting body against one of your own best prospects.

Of course, it is possible there is more to the story than we know... hard to judge without knowing the whole story inside out. But I admit it does certainly seem shocking on the surface of things.

This is about race and it is also about gender. As other posters have pointed out Coco is out of shape BUT she is white!

Taylor is a black girl and people need to be honest the USTA is very racist against black tennis players. I do not believe a white female American tennis player who is the number one junior in the world would be treated so harshly and with such disregard for her feelings!

Patrick McEnroe is a racist bigot along with the USTA!

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:40 AM
This is about race and it is also about gender. As other posters have pointed out Coco is out of shape BUT she is white!

Taylor is a black girl and people need to be honest the USTA is very racist against black tennis players. I do not believe a white female American tennis player who is the number one junior in the world would be treated so harshly and with such disregard for her feelings!

How long are you out for this time, Orville?

WowWow
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:41 AM

Yes, this is blatant racism and it shouldn't go unnoticed. Patrick, or anyone in the USTA, has no right to discriminate this girl like this.

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:56 AM
Melanie had already proven herself with a slam qf, wimby 4th round and top 35 ranking. She got fat/unfit after those results and after the debacle with her coach and parents. My point is that the situation is not the same. I still think it was too harsh of a punishment for Taylor, but the two are not the same.

The affair between Melanie's mother and coach actually happened BEFORE her '09 Open run:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/tennis/report-melanie-oudin-s-parents-in-ugly-divorce-1.1436087

njnetswill
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:05 AM
She is the number one junior player in the world and won matches last year in qualies as a 15 year old. She is good. And you fund good players. I don't understand the USTA at all. Wouldn't it make more sense for her to gain match play experience while simultaneously giving her access to a fitness coach? Ugh. I feel so sorry for Taylor.

Papi
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:09 AM
God forbid her career end at the age of 16 because of these harsh comments.

dany.p
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:32 AM
body shape is irrelevant. it all comes down to fitness. if she's not fit, then usta have every right to restrict her funding. the usta is not banning her from playing anywhere. tennis is a tough sport, and optimal physical conditioning is pretty much a requirement to get to the top. good fitness at a young age is only going to have positive benefits for someone later in life. if she's been half assed with her fitness, i commend the usta for taking this tough love approach. spoiling young prospects is not going to create champions. if they are doing this purley because she doesnt look fit, then shame on them. either way usta does need to show some tact when dealing with this, wrong choice of words could be detrimental to this girls health. and i've barely followed this issue, but i see no quotes of anyone in an official capacity at usta calling this girl fat. we really dont know the full story, so people should stop playing the blame game on both sides. we dont know whats going on behind the scenes. if davenport and navratilova are basing there comments on insider knowledge, then good for them for speaking out. if not, they really should be more cautious before making accusations against the usta.

Natash.
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:34 AM
:lol: Oh no at the racism claims with all the money they put on Donald Young.

It is, however, horrible the way they treated Taylor and it is awesome of Martina and Lindsay to speak out against it.

shoparound
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:35 AM
body shape is irrelevant. it all comes down to fitness. if she's not fit, then usta have every right to restrict there funding. the usta is not banning her from playing anywhere. tennis is a tough sport, and optimal physical conditioning is pretty much a requirement to get to the top. good fitness at a young age is only going to have positive benefits for someone later in life. if she's been half assed with her fitness, i commend the usta for taking this tough love approach. spoiling young prospects is not going to create champions. if they are doing this purley because she doesnt look fit, then shame on them. we really dont know the full story, so people should stop playing the blame game on both sides. we dont know whats going on behind the scenes. if davenport and navratilova are basing there comments on insider knowledge, then good for them for speaking out. if not, they really should be more cautious before making accusations against the usta.

Yes they can...

matty
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:36 AM
The affair between Melanie's mother and coach actually happened BEFORE her '09 Open run:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/tennis/report-melanie-oudin-s-parents-in-ugly-divorce-1.1436087

and was announced during the us open and then she lived with the fall out: her family breaking up and her coach (since she was a kid) helping to do the breaking.

young_gunner913
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Patrick McEnroe is such a fucking piece of shit. Now he's claiming that they never told Taylor and her mom it was about her weight but her "fitness" and acting like it's some small mistake that can easily be fixed by spewing some bullshit to a journalist. He needs to be fired. He's a disgrace.

dany.p
Sep 8th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Yes they can...

then i diasgree with there approach if this is the case. it would be silly to ban the no1 junior in the world from playing

Morrissey
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:16 AM
body shape is irrelevant. it all comes down to fitness. if she's not fit, then usta have every right to restrict her funding. the usta is not banning her from playing anywhere. tennis is a tough sport, and optimal physical conditioning is pretty much a requirement to get to the top. good fitness at a young age is only going to have positive benefits for someone later in life. if she's been half assed with her fitness, i commend the usta for taking this tough love approach. spoiling young prospects is not going to create champions. if they are doing this purley because she doesnt look fit, then shame on them. either way usta does need to show some tact when dealing with this, wrong choice of words could be detrimental to this girls health. and i've barely followed this issue, but i see no quotes of anyone in an official capacity at usta calling this girl fat. we really dont know the full story, so people should stop playing the blame game on both sides. we dont know whats going on behind the scenes. if davenport and navratilova are basing there comments on insider knowledge, then good for them for speaking out. if not, they really should be more cautious before making accusations against the usta.

You are an idiot and you obviously are a very INSENSITIVE PERSON. Melanie Oudin is out of shape and so is Coco Vandeweghe but I do not see them get bashed like Taylor. To pick on a sixteen year old girl in this manner is OFFENSIVE!

It seems to me the USTA has different standards of treatment for black women and white women.

Taylor is also African American and black women bodies are different than white women bodies.

Serena Williams does not look like Sharapova but she is an awesome tennis champion.

Glad Lindsay and Martina spoke out against the USTA and Patrick McEnroe.

You do realize TEEN GIRLS can get EATING DISORDERS the pressure Patrick and the USTA put on Taylor is out of line!

Taylor is still growing into her body totally classless of Patrick McEnroe and the USTA to pick on this girl!

dany.p
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:43 AM
You are an idiot and you obviously are a very INSENSITIVE PERSON. Melanie Oudin is out of shape and so is Coco Vandeweghe but I do not see them get bashed like Taylor. To pick on a sixteen year old girl in this manner is OFFENSIVE!

It seems to me the USTA has different standards of treatment for black women and white women.

Taylor is also African American and black women bodies are different than white women bodies.

Serena Williams does not look like Sharapova but she is an awesome tennis champion.

Glad Lindsay and Martina spoke out against the USTA and Patrick McEnroe.

You do realize TEEN GIRLS can get EATING DISORDERS the pressure Patrick and the USTA put on Taylor is out of line!

Taylor is still growing into her body totally classless of Patrick McEnroe and the USTA to pick on this girl!

are you f***ing kidding me?!! A point in my post was that body shape is irrelevant when looking at fitness. i.e. there are girls that are solidly built that may be very fit, and vice versa, skinny girls that are unfit. If the usta is doing this because purley from an aesethetic point of view she doesnt look fit then they are in the wrong. i am well aware of the fact that black women, in general, are built differently to white women, and nowhere in my post do i dispute this.

Please work on you reading comprehension skills. Get back to me when you get it above a 4th grade level.

pov
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:52 AM
I agree with them. I'd bench her myself. Its 16 not 6. Anyone who thinks 16yo is too young to be more in shape than she is is more concerned with being PC and "nice" than they are with physical development.

young_gunner913
Sep 8th, 2012, 03:54 AM
I agree with them. I'd bench her myself. Its 16 not 6. Anyone who thinks 16yo is too young to be more in shape than she is is more concerned with being PC and "nice" than they are with physical development.

Well it's a good thing you're stuck behind a computer talking about Taylor's career rather than actually having an impact on it.

bobcat
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Fitness is important, but at 16 it's more important to work on your game--developing a good serve, volleys, court sense. Fitness is easy to improve, but a better serve takes years to get. Many players never significantly improve their serves after turning 20.

Sweety Darling
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:05 AM
:lol: Oh no at the racism claims with all the money they put on Donald Young.

I've come to the conclusion this a racist forum.

bandabou
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:24 AM
If it was all about fitness...then cut the crap. No more money for Oudin/ Coco...otherwise it's all B.S. and we still live in a VERY racist world.

JonBcn
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sure I'm not the first person to say it, but I think it's disgusting that they're talking about her weight in public when she's 16. It's enough to seriously affect someone's self-esteem or even cause an eating disorder especially at such a delicate age. I seriously doubt if any bigwigs ever told Lindsay Davenport to shed a few pounds in public, and she did ok in the long run.

The bottom line is that they chose to publicly humiliate a 16-year old girl. If I was her, I'd win the tournament, then accept big bucks to go and represent Kazakhstan :lol:

dany.p
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:58 AM
I'm not very knowlegdable in which players are in the usta system, and which players aren't. Whatever the case may be, they need to be consistent in the approach they take when dealing with there players. It's a very bad look if they are using one standard for Townsend, and another for Oudin, Coco etc.

pesto
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:25 AM
It's not just body type, or age, or race. She is overweight.

She may well be an effective junior at that weight, but is unlikely to be an effective senior, and is likely to put undue strain on her joints, and increase her injury risk.

However, I think that the USTA are handling it very badly. They need to work with her, not against her. It can be dealt with, but it's probably best for her to take a long slow approach, which might take a long time to be visible. It can be hard for teens to adapt to rapid changes in bodyweight and height even without obesity. Making public comments and withdrawing support is a bad way to go.

Not only in the here and now. It's the sort of story that follows her throughout her career. An easy hook for rushed journalists: "Townsend, who was once benched for being fat..." etc.

Sweety Darling
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
If it was all about fitness...then cut the crap. No more money for Oudin/ Coco...otherwise it's all B.S. and we still live in a VERY racist world.

Can't compare them, Townsend is very overweight, the others are not. You are right, it is a still a racist world and it seems most of those people congregate on this forum.

bjurra
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Being overweight is no different from having a weak serve or a poor slice. If the talent and ambition is there, the USTA should help the player overcome her weakness, not ditch her and let work on it on her own.

M-K
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:56 PM
This is so sad. I can't believe the USTA.
I can't even imagine what Townsend must be going through right now, even though I sure do remember how it felt being a 16 year old girl. I really hope she does have a lot of good people around her who are going to help her deal with this.

Olůrin
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:58 PM

You don't seem to grasp that you can't separate those things from her weight, they're essential context. Very generally speaking if you want to achieve anything in life you work with someone, not against them by "sanctioning".

Destiny
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Bastards

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I seriously doubt if any bigwigs ever told Lindsay Davenport to shed a few pounds in public, and she did ok in the long run.

in this article Lindsey very much discusses how it would've effected her if they treated her like that but then a woman was in charge of the USTA when Lindsey was coming up... not an asshole. :tape:

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/09/07/tennis-legends-livid-about-usta-decision/

Raiden
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM
in this article Lindsey very much discusses how it would've effected her if they treated her like that but then a woman was in charge of the USTA when Lindsey was coming up... not an asshole. :tape:

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/09/07/tennis-legends-livid-about-usta-decision/Bullshit conspiracy theory by Lindsay.
When did she became a paranoid sexist kook anyway?

The Tylor Townsend scandal has nothing to do with Patrick McEnroe's sexual organs (and that is assuming that USTA's decision to cut-off the junior's funds was decided at the highest level by him and not by the appropriate USTA department that deals with juniors (which is both male and female).

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Bullshit conspiracy theory by Lindsay.

Actually you sound like the kook if what you got out of Lindsey's response is that she's a paranoid sexist? :cuckoo:

She relayed her concerns that she has based on her experiences as a large young lady dealing with the USTA... that's not paranoia but someone's opinion based on real life experiences... what's your opinion based?

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:32 PM

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/09/07/tennis-legends-livid-about-usta-decision/

Great article. :yeah: Thanks for posting it.

blackandblue
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:36 PM
But when I read about Patrick McEnroe he's a real fucking asshole.

Imagine, if you are sixteen year old girl and someone said that you were too fat to become a great tennis player?

I'm sorry, but professional athletes get told that all the time. Does she want to be treated like a kid or a professional athlete?

If the USTA thinks her weight is a hindrance to her becoming a viable player on the women's tour, then why waste money on her?

tucker1989
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:39 PM
USTA can give it up now, because Taylor just won her 3rd doubles Grand Slam of the year with Gabby!

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:41 PM
I'm sorry, but professional athletes get told that all the time. Does she want to be treated like a kid or a professional athlete?

Well since she's not a professional tennis player, I would say child.

If the USTA thinks her weight is a hindrance to her becoming a viable player on the women's tour, then why waste money on her?

Seeing as the USTA does not have the assistance of a crystal ball or a psychic, I don't how they can tell who will really become a viable player on the women's tour and who won't? Especially since said girl just turned 16 and due to the changes made in the age requirements it's taking much longer for prospects to develop, no I don't see how that assumption can be made about a player who is carrying some extra weight today.

BTW, what is the definition of a viable player?

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:42 PM
USTA can give it up now, because Taylor just won her 3rd doubles Grand Slam of the year with Gabby!

:aparty:

That sure is a lot of success for someone who is struggling with her fitness. :o :o :o

blackandblue
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:51 PM

Then why in the world would she expect a wild card into the women's event?

Seeing as the USTA does not have the assistance of a crystal ball or a psychic, I don't how they can tell who will really become a viable player on the women's tour and who won't? Especially since said girl just turned 16 and due to the changes made in the age requirements it's taking much longer for prospects to develop, no I don't see how that assumption can be made about a player who is carrying some extra weight today.

BTW, what is the definition of a viable player?

Probably by learning past mistakes.

Serenita
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:55 PM

Haven't she shown potential? i mean if this was a girl who didnt win anything and was just having fun i can see why they would bench her.

But no she's the no#1 junior in the world, have won junior GS and tournaments! instead of rewarding her hard work, they bench her.
Fucking idiots!! and P Mac needs to be fired about this. Also why embarrass her this way telling the whole world she's Fat. gosh heartless pigs. This makes me soo fricking mad!!

Motho
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:56 PM
:aparty:

That sure is a lot of success for someone who is struggling with her fitness. :o :o :o

-------------------
Best way to shut up critics is to :cool::cool:continue to deliver results...Great job by Taylor and Gabby:).

blackandblue
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Haven't she shown potential? i mean if this was a girl who didnt win anything and was just having fun i can see why they would bench her.

But no she's the no#1 junior in the world, have won junior GS and tournaments! instead of rewarding her hard work, they bench her.
Fucking idiots!! and P Mac needs to be fired about this. Also why embarrass her this way telling the whole world she's Fat. gosh heartless pigs. This makes me soo fricking mad!!

They wasted countless sums of money on Donald Young using this thinking. Talent is enough to win you junior events. It is not enough to win you matches at the pro level in the absence of dedication to the craft. Young has shown an obvious lack of dedication. And frankly, being in that kind of shape makes it seem like Towsend lacks that dedication too.

She's an ATHLETE. It's a privilege to have people pay for your expenses while you go around the world to play what at the end of the day is a game. The wild cards and money can be spent on someone willing to show they want it.

Slammer7
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:01 PM

That's not biggest thing most people are upset about. Also they gave her a Qualifying WC last year (when she was actually bigger than she is now) and she won a couple of rounds. :shrug:

What like future hall of famer, former world #1 and 3 time GS Champion Lindsay Davenport? :confused:

bobcat
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM

Good for her, although I'm not sure doubles success is a good barometer of fitness in singles. I've seen some players do well in doubles who are too out of shape to make it in singles.

Slammer7
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Can't compare them, Townsend is very overweight, the others are not. You are right, it is a still a racist world and it seems most of those people congregate on this forum.

As said by the poster that talked about Taylor and staying away from KFC? :facepalm:

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:14 PM

because they gave in the past and still give WC to kids who are not professional players to see what it's like.? It's not a new thing in sports for juniors to play on the professional level to test their skills, they do it many sports.... but it doesn't change the fact that they are still juniors and if they are 16 they are still kids.

past mistakes like what? When did they continue to fund a tennis player who carried too much girth who turned out to be a complete failure that they wished they had benched and cut off funding?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BTW, why is everyone throwing up Donald Young like he is the only young American player that the USTA spent money on? So it was ok to spend the money on the others who did basically nothing more than win a few rounds here and there in the Open... but Donald that's somehow a travesty. I get that they may have spent more money on him than others in the past but Donald did when they were spending the money rule the Juniors and won many titles as a Junior. Did/does he have attitude issues, yes but as Lindsey and Martina eloquently pointed out many of the juniors have attitude issues and the USTA is still funding them. I find it disengenuous for people to continue to point to Donald Young as a defense of why they would pull this young lady's funding?

Petkorazzi
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I personally didnt like the way USTA put it, but their point is pretty clear. They are putting money into her, the only thing she has to take care of is her fitness and diet. I'm sure they have constantly told her to work on her fitness, but has there been any change since last years open? This is the real world of professional tennis, sorry but the she's just 16 excuse does not cut it here for me.

Slammer7
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM
They wasted countless sums of money on Donald Young using this thinking. Talent is enough to win you junior events. It is not enough to win you matches at the pro level in the absence of dedication to the craft. Young has shown an obvious lack of dedication. And frankly, being in that kind of shape makes it seem like Towsend lacks that dedication too.

She's an ATHLETE. It's a privilege to have people pay for your expenses while you go around the world to play what at the end of the day is a game. The wild cards and money can be spent on someone willing to show they want it.

Donald was too small/short and didn't have a good enough attitude to be successful on the pro circuit. Taylor does not have those problems, even the USTA people don't think that, so why do you? She has shown she wants it because she actually has lost weight and appears fitter in just the last 3 months, so they punished her when she actually did what they said. She's female and losing weight quickly in a healthy manner will take longer for her than it would for a male or even an adult (which she is not physically) female. Even those criticizing her fitness have not said she isn't dedicated. See here is the problem with this thinking if they did this to other girls at this stage for reasons like this we would be minus how many successful pros? Did the Czechs sanction Kvitova because she was overweight as 16 year old? Did the Russians sanction Pavlyuchenkova because she was overweight as a 16 year old? Did the Czechs sanction Navratilova because she was overweight as a teen? This is unprecedented for a reason, if the other Federations made judgments on future viability based on fitness levels at 15 and 16 they would have been scraping numerous future successful pros. The girl has talent and game, she has desire and passion for the sport. To keep her from playing because of an issue that she may not even have in a year or two when her body is actually mature and fully developed (which it isn't yet) is foolish.

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:27 PM

well that's a stretch.. considering IF Donald's problem is a lack of dedication it was never manifested as being overweight, which just goes to show you over looking attitudes can be displayed in many forms. As Lindsey and Martina pointed out the USTA is still funding many Juniors with very poor attitudes til this day. Carrying added girth does not point to a poor attitude when someone's weight has very little to do with someone's attitude, someone's will power, etc... and much more to do with their diet, not only eating the right food but eating them at the right times of the day, your metabilism/genetics, your fitness regimine, which again depends on not only what you do but when you do it,emotions, most people eat emotionally so harassing someone about their girth is only going to promote the emotions that make people run to comfort food. So I don't understand if fitness is an issue how limiting time playing actual tennis matches as opposed to doing what staying at the academy and stewing over the fact that she's not playing tennis when her peers are... how exactly does that motivate, inspire, build up the self-esteem of anybody much less a teenager?

tucker1989
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Good for her, although I'm not sure doubles success is a good barometer of fitness in singles. I've seen some players do well in doubles who are too out of shape to make it in singles.

She also won the Aussie Open singles and is the number 1 ranked junior in the world, so I wouldn't raise any red flags about her as a singles player yet. Sloane never won a junior singles slam and won 3 doubles slams in one year too.

Slammer7
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I personally didnt like the way USTA put it, but their point is pretty clear. They are putting money into her, the only thing she has to take care of is her fitness and diet. I'm sure they have constantly told her to work on her fitness, but has there been any change since last years open? This is the real world of professional tennis, sorry but the she's just 16 excuse does not cut it here for me.

Yes there have, just look a couple of pages back. :o It's not healthy or wise for her to lose weight quickly at this stage in her life, she won't be able to keep it off. The best way for a teen to lose weight is slowly over time if it's going to be a lasting change. The USTA expecting it quickly is unreasonable. If they had been on her for a full year one would think they would have sanctioned her sooner rather than this summer. It's pretty fare to conclude that this demand for her to lose weight has only come at sometime this year. If that's true then to expect quick changes to her body in such a short period of time is unreasonable at best and cruel at worse.

If they did this before and if they were doing it to others then there wouldn't be so much outrage. The reason people keep talking about her being 16 (and this whole thing apparently started when she was 15) is because she has not finished developing physically and to expect her body to change quickly while she is still developing is unreasonable. Don't you think actual female tennis players (who disagree vehemently with this decision) have a good frame of reference when it comes to issues like this? It's not an 'excuse' it's a reason and even if it doesn't cut it for you it does for many many other people.

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM

explain to me how a 16 year old can be responsible for her own diet and fitness? What would be the point of locating yourself at an academy? Shouldn't they be responsible for her fitness and diet? She's not the one with the experience or the money to do either. I mean what are they doing with her all day at that academy?

BTW, diet and fitness is great but if you have bad genetics and a slow metabilism, the general diet and fitness that everyone else is participating in may not be the right one for her.

My question in all the time she's been at the academy they are just now worried about her fitness? What have they been teaching her in the last year and what have they been feeding her or letting her have access to while she's at the academy?

If 16 year olds were capable of adult thought and reasoning they would be able to drive as much as they wanted, they would be able to vote, serve in the military, drink, smoke, etc... but there's a reason they can't do those things because their reasoning capability is not mature yet...it's one of the reasons we treat children differently than we do adults.

Rocketta
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Donald was too small/short and didn't have a good enough attitude to be successful on the pro circuit.

Exactly they always knew Donald was going to struggle if he didn't have a growth spurt, which they all hoped for, but it didn't happen. However, the people acting like Donald is the only American junior sponsored by the USTA that has bombed out... are ridiculous. :lol: BTW, they may have spent more money on Donald than others but there is no mention that they are spending more money on Taylor than any other female junior in their academy?

darrinbaker00
Sep 8th, 2012, 11:30 PM
BTW, why is everyone throwing up Donald Young like he is the only young American player that the USTA spent money on? So it was ok to spend the money on the others who did basically nothing more than win a few rounds here and there in the Open... but Donald that's somehow a travesty. I get that they may have spent more money on him than others in the past but Donald did when they were spending the money rule the Juniors and won many titles as a Junior. Did/does he have attitude issues, yes but as Lindsey and Martina eloquently pointed out many of the juniors have attitude issues and the USTA is still funding them. I find it disengenuous for people to continue to point to Donald Young as a defense of why they would pull this young lady's funding?

Actually, Donald was being coached by his parents when he was #1 in the Juniors. They turned him pro at age 15, took every wild card they could get their hands on, and as you might expect, took beating after beating after beating. The USTA practically got on their knees and begged Mr. and Mrs. Young to let Donald come to their High Performance facility, but they repeatedly declined. When Donald finally did leave his parents to work with the USTA, he got up to his career-high ATP ranking of #38 in February of this year. Then, for reasons only the Youngs can explain, he went back to his parents, and he's only won one of his last 18 matches since. Donald Young isn't a bust because of the USTA; Donald Young is a bust because of Donald Young.

Mind you, I'm not trying to defend the USTA's handling of Taylor Townsend; as I stated earlier in this thread, Patrick McEnroe somehow found the wrong way to say and do the right thing. If it had been me, I wouldn't have given her a wild card for the Open main draw, but I would have paid for her to play the Girls 18 Nationals so she could have the opportunity to earn it on the court, which Victoria Duval wound up doing. After that, I would have brought her to to the Open, shut her down afterwards, and worked on her fitness for the rest of 2012.

ptkten
Sep 9th, 2012, 01:04 AM
Actually, Donald was being coached by his parents when he was #1 in the Juniors. They turned him pro at age 15, took every wild card they could get their hands on, and as you might expect, took beating after beating after beating. The USTA practically got on their knees and begged Mr. and Mrs. Young to let Donald come to their High Performance facility, but they repeatedly declined. When Donald finally did leave his parents to work with the USTA, he got up to his career-high ATP ranking of #38 in February of this year. Then, for reasons only the Youngs can explain, he went back to his parents, and he's only won one of his last 18 matches since. Donald Young isn't a bust because of the USTA; Donald Young is a bust because of Donald Young.

Mind you, I'm not trying to defend the USTA's handling of Taylor Townsend; as I stated earlier in this thread, Patrick McEnroe somehow found the wrong way to say and do the right thing. If it had been me, I wouldn't have given her a wild card for the Open main draw, but I would have paid for her to play the Girls 18 Nationals so she could have the opportunity to earn it on the court, which Victoria Duval wound up doing. After that, I would have brought her to to the Open, shut her down afterwards, and worked on her fitness for the rest of 2012.

Agreed, the USTA have gotten a lot of things wrong, including this situation, but Donald Young is not one of them. They actually were rather successful with him on the pro tour and then as you said inexplicably he keeps going back to his parents.

AnomyBC
Sep 9th, 2012, 01:41 AM
I blame the age eligibility rules. Best way to get this girl in better shape is have her play a tournament every week.

binky-GOAT
Sep 9th, 2012, 01:47 AM
I blame the age eligibility rules. Best way to get this girl in better shape is have her play a tournament every week.

She only has played 1 senior tournament this year. I don't like AER but it has nothing to do in this case.

matty
Sep 9th, 2012, 02:10 AM

Can't have it both ways--if she wants a wildcard to play with the big girls she's got to be one of them.

chingching
Sep 9th, 2012, 02:14 AM
You actually get fatter playing tournaments, because you train less and eat more, overcompensating :(
That's why players like Kanepi used to be fat: Overcompensating :)

matty
Sep 9th, 2012, 02:19 AM
Her mom says she is 5'6" and 170 lbs--that seems to be rather heavy--not good for her joints-- it would probably increase her likelihood of injuries.

CrossCourt~Rally
Sep 9th, 2012, 02:21 AM
Less than 1 page in and the predictable "white CoCo Vandeweghe" comment was paraded out true to form :help:

Practice what you preach... :wavey:

Rocketta
Sep 9th, 2012, 02:36 AM

but I'm not really using him as an example of anything when it comes to the USTA, it's everyone else that said he was the USTA's waist of money... I personal don't think he has anything to do with Townsend case??? which is what I was trying to say. Good to know the USTA didn't finance him during the juniors... just proves further he has nothing to do with Townsend. :shrug:

Rocketta
Sep 9th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Can't have it both ways--if she wants a wildcard to play with the big girls she's got to be one of them.

actually you can have it both ways.... and that's evident by the fact that eventhough a junior gets a wildcard they still can't accept any of the prize money because they are a JUNIOR. Giving a wildcard doesn't mean a junior is ready to be one of the big girls at all. It's a way to give them experience as to what the pro tour is about but that doesn't mean that every wildcard is given to players that they feel are physically or emotional ready for the pro tour.

Tennis Fool
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Taylor Townsend was on ABC News this morning:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/top-ranked-junior-tennis-player-told-overweight-17190087

Uranium
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:20 AM
It really is sad. She won her 4th slam this year of the 8 Junior Slams at 16. And yet no love at all from USTA.

Tennis Fool
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:37 AM
Matt Cronin is reporting that the USTA didn't want her to play out of medical concerns:

Australian Open junior champion Taylor Townsend of the United States didn't have medical clearance to play, which is why the USTA declined at first to send her to the U.S. Open, TENNIS.com has learned. Townsend was recently diagnosed with low iron, and the USTA did not feel it was safe for her to play until her doctors gave her the go-ahead.

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/09/medical-concerns-prompted-ustas-stance-townsend/39352/#.UEwOrIXwG_F

Slammer7
Sep 9th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Bullshit conspiracy theory by Lindsay.

The Tylor Townsend scandal has nothing to do with Patrick McEnroe's sexual organs (and that is assuming that USTA's decision to cut-off the junior's funds was decided at the highest level by him and not by the appropriate USTA department that deals with juniors (which is both male and female).

Patrick McEnroe being called a sexist has nothing to do with his 'sexual organs' Mary Carillo is one of the biggest sexists in all of tennis and as far as we know she has a vagina. :scared:

Excuse me while I go stab my eyes out and vomit. :hysteric:

ptkten
Sep 9th, 2012, 04:41 AM
Matt Cronin is reporting that the USTA didn't want her to play out of medical concerns:

Australian Open junior champion Taylor Townsend of the United States didn't have medical clearance to play, which is why the USTA declined at first to send her to the U.S. Open, TENNIS.com has learned. Townsend was recently diagnosed with low iron, and the USTA did not feel it was safe for her to play until her doctors gave her the go-ahead.

http://www.tennis.com/news/2012/09/medical-concerns-prompted-ustas-stance-townsend/39352/#.UEwOrIXwG_F

Oh come on, they're making shit up now. If that was the reason they had denied her the opportunity to play, they would have said so originally. They were quoted as saying it was because she was out of shape in the original article and now after the backlash they're coming up with alternate reasons so they don't look so bad.

Slammer7
Sep 9th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Oh come on, they're making shit up now. If that was the reason they had denied her the opportunity to play, they would have said so originally. They were quoted as saying it was because she was out of shape in the original article and now after the backlash they're coming up with alternate reasons so they don't look so bad.

Yep, totally agree. I call major Bullshit.

AnomyBC
Sep 9th, 2012, 05:08 AM
It really is sad. She won her 4th slam this year of the 8 Junior Slams at 16. And yet no love at all from USTA.

There are 8 junior slams? What are the other 4? :confused:

darrinbaker00
Sep 9th, 2012, 05:58 AM
actually you can have it both ways.... and that's evident by the fact that eventhough a junior gets a wildcard they still can't accept any of the prize money because they are a JUNIOR. Giving a wildcard doesn't mean a junior is ready to be one of the big girls at all. It's a way to give them experience as to what the pro tour is about but that doesn't mean that every wildcard is given to players that they feel are physically or emotional ready for the pro tour.

Actually, Rocketta, you can be a professional and still play Junior events.

LadyLil
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:12 AM

Bull. Shit.

That is all.

Petkorazzi
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Doubles. :facepalm:

shoparound
Sep 9th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Whoever the PR at the USTA needs to go, complete BS and not even a good excuse...

Rocketta
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Actually, Rocketta, you can be a professional and still play Junior events.

Where did I say otherwise? :confused:

WowWow
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Taylor Townsend was on ABC News this morning:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/top-ranked-junior-tennis-player-told-overweight-17190087

"... apologize for the miscommunication..." ?!?

They're trying to downplay it now?
Miscommunication, my ass.

I'm glad the story is out through the major networks. Show the USTA for what it is.

Morrissey
Sep 9th, 2012, 05:27 PM
I think Taylor and her mother need to find outside funding and tell the USTA to GTFO!!!

Glad this is getting media attention because the way how Patrick McEnroe and the USTA treated Taylor is so offensive and abhorrent!

Glad that Taylor's mother spoke up and told the WSJ how the USTA and Patrick McEnroe are harassing her daughter. Taylor is the number one female junior in the world she's also sixteen years old. People are so insensitive, imagine, you are a sixteen year old girl and a federation is telling you are overweight. It probably hurts. This could affect Taylor's self esteem she's at a vulnerable age and eating disorders are also a problem for some female athletes. Not saying that's going to happen to Taylor I sincerely hope not but it does happen. I remember Zina Garrison saying she was a bulimic during her tennis career.

Patrick McEnroe and the USTA should be ashamed of themselves! Taylor's mother needs to pull her daughter out of the USTA program and do it themselves!

Morrissey
Sep 9th, 2012, 05:31 PM

She may well be an effective junior at that weight, but is unlikely to be an effective senior, and is likely to put undue strain on her joints, and increase her injury risk.

However, I think that the USTA are handling it very badly. They need to work with her, not against her. It can be dealt with, but it's probably best for her to take a long slow approach, which might take a long time to be visible. It can be hard for teens to adapt to rapid changes in bodyweight and height even without obesity. Making public comments and withdrawing support is a bad way to go.

Not only in the here and now. It's the sort of story that follows her throughout her career. An easy hook for rushed journalists: "Townsend, who was once benched for being fat..." etc.

You are more ignorant than I thought it is all three combined this is about race, gender, and yes weight.

Black women are consistently TOLD they got to conform to Eurocentric beauty and body image standards!

People bitch about Serena Williams all the time saying she's out of shape!

However, Serena has a different body type than a bean pole like Sharapova.

The thin, white, blonde, body type is a damaging and also a very racist body image that is imposed on women of colour.

Melanie Oudin is out of shape a lot of people have complained on this board she is overweight has she lost USTA funding?

Coco is out of shape too has she lost funding or got attacked by Patrick McEnroe like Taylor Townsend?

Taylor is ONLY SIXTEEN a vulnerable age for a teenage girl Patrick McEnroe is a friggin SOB and the USTA are disgraceful in the way they handled this situation!

Morrissey
Sep 9th, 2012, 05:33 PM

Exactly, Patrick McEnroe is such a racist scumbag! Glad the news is out about this SOB!

miffedmax
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Even in broken english, this is still the stupidist post I've seen. :rolleyes:

You shouldn't be able to see it any more.

Rocketta
Sep 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM
You shouldn't be able to see it any more.

:rocker2:

Tennis Fool
Sep 13th, 2012, 04:53 AM
Finally, Serena speaks:

"If that happened, that's obviously a tragedy, because everyone deserves to play," Williams said Monday, a day after winning the U.S. Open.

"She's so sweet and she works so hard," she added. "For a female, particularly, in the United States, in particular, and African-American, to have to deal with that is unnecessary. ... Women athletes come in all different sizes and shapes and colors and everything. I think you can see that more than anywhere on the tennis tour."

Townsend played at the Open, winning the junior doubles title and reaching the quarterfinals in singles.

"She's still No. 1," Williams said. "That's saying something."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/11/serena-williams-taylor-townsend-usta-held-out_n_1874759.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

Bleeth
Sep 13th, 2012, 10:22 AM
O tempora, o mores! Stop funding someone because they are too fat, were they funding her to become a Victoria Secret's angel or a tennis player ? For god sake, give her some tennis goals and if she's not able to reach them than you can cut her funding.

duhcity
Nov 25th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Taylor tweeted that she won't be taking the the Qualie WC for the Australian Open as the Girl's Champion because it's too expensive. Guess the USTA is helping her, and she won't be going at all on her own dime?
I understand partly if she thinks she can't qualify, but I feel like that's something she earned and should take advantage off :shrug:

guichard
Nov 25th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Taylor tweeted that she won't be taking the the Qualie WC for the Australian Open as the Girl's Champion because it's too expensive. Guess the USTA is helping her, and she won't be going at all on her own dime?
I understand partly if she thinks she can't qualify, but I feel like that's something she earned and should take advantage off :shrug:

It seems that what she thinks, she said "not going there just for quallie"

As of the USTA hard to know what's going on

Sent from my iPod touch using VS Free

*JR*
Nov 26th, 2012, 12:45 AM

Technically the other 4 are called Grade A, like the Orange Bowl. Grade in the Juniors = Tier in the WTA, as in the old Tier I, II, III, and IV system. So a Grade I = a Tier I, with the Grade A's having the status IW and Miami alone used to have (and PM's Madrid and Beijing somewhat now do).

I agree (as posted earlier ITT) that Taylor is being treated in a heavy handed way. Is race a reason, I don't know; but I've never thought Patrick was doing this job well anyhow. Here's a list of the USTA executives (http://www.usta.com/About-USTA/Organization/Board-of-Directors/Bio/ExecutiveStaff), who generally use an email address of lastname[@]usta.com (no first initial, etc).