PDA

View Full Version : When did they change Super Saturday and why ?

LightWarrior
Sep 6th, 2012, 11:12 PM
The women's final used to be sandwiched between the 2 men's semis.

Infiniti2001
Sep 6th, 2012, 11:16 PM
The women's final used to be sandwiched between the 2 men's semis.

what planet have you been on? The women's final have been in prime time from 2000 :shrug:

LightWarrior
Sep 6th, 2012, 11:27 PM
what planet have you been on?

Are you some redneck on meds or what ? Thanks for the info though.

babsi
Sep 6th, 2012, 11:51 PM
How about the women had no idea what time their GRAND SLAM FINAL would start?

Or the ATP complained as the 2nd semi had to wait for the women to finish.

Or CBS wanted to show the final in primetime

edificio
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:20 AM
How about the women had no idea what time their GRAND SLAM FINAL would start?

Or the ATP complained as the 2nd semi had to wait for the women to finish.

Or CBS wanted to show the final in primetime

:yeah:

But I still don't understand why they have this Thursday such a nothing day tenniswise. Why not have the women play the semis on Thursday and the final on Saturday? Seems dumb.

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I am wondering, have the semis and finals always been back-to-back? I really do not like this. I think the tennis often suffers from a lack of recovery time for some or both players.

In The Zone
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Started in 2001. Men and the women wanted more comfort with knowing when their matches would be played. Plus, women's tour was peaking and CBS wanted to take advantage of a weak night (Saturday) and put a spectacle on. At the time, it was a great idea. It looked as though Venus and Serena would be playing all the time. Too bad we've had some shit finals recently.

With the news of the finals moving, getting rid of the Saturday night final seems likely.

Wiggly
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Started in 2001. Men and the women wanted more comfort with knowing when their matches would be played. Plus, women's tour was peaking and CBS wanted to take advantage of a weak night (Saturday) and put a spectacle on. At the time, it was a great idea. It looked as though Venus and Serena would be playing all the time. Too bad we've had some shit finals recently.

With the news of the finals moving, getting rid of the Saturday night final seems likely.

There's much more atmosphere during a night session.
If both Serena and Maria win tomorrow, the ratings will be massive even if the public knows it will be a massacre.

Infiniti2001
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:41 AM

That's right is was 2001... 2000 (Venus vs Lindsay) ended up in prime time , because of rain delay...

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:47 AM

What is the news of the finals moving exactly? Are you talking about the men's final being pushed to Monday and the women on Sunday? Has that been decided?

TheDream
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:51 AM
I wonder why the women's SF's aren't played at night like that one year.

In The Zone
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:57 AM
What is the news of the finals moving exactly? Are you talking about the men's final being pushed to Monday and the women on Sunday? Has that been decided?

Nothing is set in stone but that's the most likely. It's all about TV and I doubt they'll be able to take the men's semifinals off Saturday. So to give them a day off, they'll put the men on Monday - likely at night. CBS airs reruns, they might agree to that.

The women's final would then be Sunday at 4pm.

I wonder why the women's SF's aren't played at night like that one year.

I know! That was an incredible night. Because of all the rain, they had to play all the men during the day and create a new session for the women on Friday night. Even Kim beating Lindsay easily was fun - it felt great to watch two important matches back to back. Obviously Jen and Justine dazzled us all and may be unfairly modifying our opinion of a doubleheader night semifinal session. :lol:

Craig.
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:59 AM
In the Zone, had it not been for the rain delays, the women's final would have been played Saturday night, right?

Gdsimmons
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:11 AM
I like the womens final at night. I think its so much fun and epitomizes NYC so much. I do think they need to make changes. They should cut the mens 1R down to 2 days and then have the men play SF on Friday night. They should either have the women SF on Thursday night or keep them at Friday afternoon. But I dont like the idea of a Sunday final. No slam has a final on Sunday and I dont think the open should have one either.

In The Zone
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:16 AM
In the Zone, had it not been for the rain delays, the women's final would have been played Saturday night, right?

Huh? The women's final is still slated for Saturday night. They are talking about the future to have the final on Sundays permanently and to move the men to Monday to allow the men to have a day off in between matches. Aka, whiners Federer and Nadal.

The 08, 09, and 11 finals were on Sunday due to rain.

Craig.
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Huh? The women's final is still slated for Saturday night. They are talking about the future to have the final on Sundays permanently and to move the men to Monday to allow the men to have a day off in between matches. Aka, whiners Federer and Nadal.

The 08, 09, and 11 finals were on Sunday due to rain.

Oh :rolls: So the women's semis have always been on Friday? Pardon my ignorance :lol:

In The Zone
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:21 AM
Yes. :lol:

dencod16
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:46 AM
It has been like this since the all Williams finals in 2001. It's just with all the rain delays, the schedule has been busted.

darrinbaker00
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:39 AM
:yeah:

But I still don't understand why they have this Thursday such a nothing day tenniswise. Why not have the women play the semis on Thursday and the final on Saturday? Seems dumb.

You obviously weren't watching today.

darrinbaker00
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Nothing is set in stone but that's the most likely. It's all about TV and I doubt they'll be able to take the men's semifinals off Saturday. So to give them a day off, they'll put the men on Monday - likely at night. CBS airs reruns, they might agree to that.

Willingly go head-to-head with Monday Night Football? There's no way, NO WAY, CBS would ever agree to do that.

xzchief
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Willingly go head-to-head with Monday Night Football? There's no way, NO WAY, CBS would ever agree to do that.

Especially since the final would fall against the opening-week MNF doubleheader. The only way a Monday U.S. Open final works is for the match to end before 7 p.m. eastern. Perhaps a 4 p.m. start.

edificio
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:50 AM
You obviously weren't watching today.

:rolleyes: