PDA

View Full Version : Rivalry between countries

tennislover
Sep 6th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I think that rivalry between countries is something stupid.
Said that, how to explain the origin of this rivalry (Italy-France, Argentina-Spain, England-Scotland etc)?

saint2
Sep 6th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Don't know the origins, but I think that as long as no one dies, its not stupid...

ranfurly
Sep 6th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Aussie - New Zealand,

Most of it is sporting,

more of a Sister-Brother relationship.

tennislover
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Don't know the origins, but I think that as long as no one dies, its not stupid...

why?

tennislover
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Aussie - New Zealand,

Most of it is sporting,

:) nice

saint2
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:30 PM
why?

Like I know...Some people needs a rival. If they didn't had an opponent, they'd invent him...

tennislover
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Like I know...Some people needs a rival. If they didn't had an opponent, they'd invent him...

true

kwilliams
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Aussie - New Zealand,

Most of it is sporting,

I think it might stem from sports or manifest most during sporting events but I have a few Australian friends and one Kiwi friend (they never met each other) and the Australians really seem to look down on NZ in some ways and my Kiwi friend sees Australia, especially the big cities, as having quite a few grave flaws. Of course, my experience is limited though and I've never travelled to either country.

pierce85
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Greece - Turkey rivalry has a history of thousands of years.

ranfurly
Sep 6th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I think it might stem from sports or manifest most during sporting events but I have a few Australian friends and one Kiwi friend (they never met each other) and the Australians really seem to look down on NZ in some ways and my Kiwi friend sees Australia, especially the big cities, as having quite a few grave flaws. Of course, my experience is limited though and I've never travelled to either country.

It's a love hate relationship, and alot of tongue and cheek, if any do seriously look down on us or have some personal vice, then they havwe a few grave flaws themselves, we are infact, politically, very close friends and work well together.

Also because alot of Kiwis cross the ditch, I don't blame them, better weather, lifestyle, and wages.

McPie
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:05 AM
ARG - GBR

Falkland Island issue :shrug:

Julian.
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Indonesia - Malaysia

I read that Malaysia keeps stealing Indonesia's cultures and various things and claims them as their :spit:

*JR*
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:20 AM
Britain - Ireland, and within Britain, England - Scotland. (I don't think the Welsh are that involved in either, as they're too busy tending sheep). :tape:

France - Germany

Japan - China

India - Pakistan

Vietnam - Cambodia

Thailand - Burma

Iran - Israel

Ethiopia - Eritrea

Uganda - (Democratic Republic of) Congo

Armenia - Azerbaijan

North Korea - South Korea :help:

Pops Maellard
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:51 AM
Norway-Sweden.

Martian Jeza
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:54 AM
Belgium vs France and Belgium vs The Netherlands

LeonHart
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Japan - China

and more recently

China - USA

Ziggy Starduck
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Australia - England (just mention the word 'cricket') :lol:

Just Do It
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:27 AM
All countries in the Balkans :shrug:

doktor
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Aussie - New Zealand,

Most of it is sporting,

Definitely a top way to describe it.

We might take great pleasure in beating each other but much rather see NZ win if we can't.

It's definitely a healthy rivalry, there's no malice.

Harry.
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Indonesia - Malaysia

I read that Malaysia keeps stealing Indonesia's cultures and various things and claims them as their :spit:

LOL YES. The Indonesians have accused the indigenous population of Malaysia, the Malays, of stealing most of their cultures, traditions, food, etc. and claiming them as their own. And it's not without basis.

Halardfan
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Britain - Ireland, and within Britain, England - Scotland. (I don't think the Welsh are that involved in either, as they're too busy tending sheep). :tape:

France - Germany

Japan - China

India - Pakistan

Vietnam - Cambodia

Thailand - Burma

Iran - Israel

Ethiopia - Eritrea

Uganda - (Democratic Republic of) Congo

Armenia - Azerbaijan

North Korea - South Korea :help:

The bit about England is only half-true...

Often the rivalries you refer to are pretty one-sided...most English don't have a great problem with any of the countries you mention in a sporting context or even beyond that

Most English people like to see the other parts of the UK do well. Certainly I always root for the other UK if England aren't involved. Moreover Ireland are viewed more affectionately than ANY other foreign country in England, and when it comes to World Cup's etc are almost seen as an unofficial 'home nation'. Doubtless that somewhat patronising attitude annoys some Irish people. But equally Im aware that some Irish people equally hate the patronising cliched view of the Ireland that some Americans have! :p

In the national game, football (soccer) the team England most want to beat I think would be Germany. Followed I think by Argentina. But it varies from sport to sport, in Cricket it would be the Aussies, in some other sports it might be the Americans.

Lin Lin
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM
China-Russia is underrated:lol:

Sam L
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:06 AM
Rome and Carthage.
Ottoman and Byzantine Empires.
England and France.

Bart
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Belgium vs France and Belgium vs The Netherlands

Make that Flanders vs The Netherlands and Wallonia vs France :shrug:

Sam L
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:13 AM
I thought it was Flanders and Wallonia? You guys really hate each other? :eek:

pierce85
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:19 AM
There's no bigger hatred than the one that exists between Turkey- Greece. Hatred that goes back to the Byzantine empire and the fall of Constantinople in 1453, the greek independence in 1821, the destruction of Izmir in 1922 and the turkish invasion in northern Cyprus

tennislover
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:26 PM
China-Russia is underrated:lol:

:lol: true

Ashi
Sep 8th, 2012, 05:23 AM
India and Pakistan in Cricket & Field Hockey is insane! :lol:
More recently India & Australia in Cricket.

Fantasy Hero
Sep 8th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Belgium vs France
UK vs France
Germany vs France
Italy vs France

seems like the true common feeling in Europe is the hate towards France :oh:

Sam L
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Italy and France rivalry seems to be just one on cultural terms not military or hostile terms. I thought Italians and French really get along well?

ViceUltramontain
Sep 8th, 2012, 08:18 AM
France and Germany rivalry ended in 45 and it's pretty much a very nice relationship now. Living on the border, I've never noticed any ounce of rivalry left in people's mind.

Natural Joe
Sep 8th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Austria vs Germany of course

Also Germany vs The Netherlands (mainly because of football I think)

GoofyDuck
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Austria vs Germany of course

Also Germany vs The Netherlands (mainly because of football I think)

For sure.

saint2
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Poland has a rivalry with Montenegro...

pla
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Greece - Turkey rivalry has a history of thousands of years.

Oh, strange. The Ottoman Turks appeared in the region only in the 13th century or if you stretch it to the most 11th century, and I've tried couple of times to count but can't go up to thousands ;). Hundreds would be correct if you change Turkey with Turks because Turkey only exists under this name from 1923.

Ottoman and Byzantine Empires.

They didn't coexist for such a long time to be counted as rivals. Let's face it, the Turks wiped out every country on the Balkans quite easily as they were shadows of themselves. ;)

matthias
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Belgium vs France
UK vs France
Germany vs France
Italy vs France

not against Germany ?
I guess Angie Merkel is the most hated women in europe right now

pov
Sep 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Said that, how to explain the origin of this rivalry (Italy-France, Argentina-Spain, England-Scotland etc)?
How did you avoid that in your history classes? There's been a lot of historical conflict(warfare) between those nations. Hopefully nowadays the rivalry is on more or less friendly terms.

tennislover
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Belgium vs France
UK vs France
Germany vs France
Italy vs France

:lol:

tennislover
Sep 8th, 2012, 10:50 PM
not against Germany ?
I guess Angie Merkel is the most hated women in europe right now

true

Martian Jeza
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:17 AM
I thought it was Flanders and Wallonia? You guys really hate each other? :eek:

I'm a french speaking Belgian who can talk very fluently in Dutch and a bit of Flemish and I don't hate at all Flemish people : I admire and respect them :)

Sam L
Sep 9th, 2012, 03:25 AM
I'm a french speaking Belgian who can talk very fluently in Dutch and a bit of Flemish and I don't hate at all Flemish people : I admire and respect them :)
I know. I was just joking. It was hilarious when that internet hoax appeared about Belgium splitting in two. :)

Shivank17
Sep 9th, 2012, 04:41 AM
India-Pakistan

Obviously due to partition.

After partition, it was decided that some territories will go to Pakistan(the Muslim population ones) and some to India. The princely states could decide which country they want to join or remain independent. Kashmir was one of the princely states, which decided to join India. But Pakistan wanted Kashmir since it's population is dominated by the Muslims, so it wrongly acquired some parts of Kashmir(called PoK: Pakistan occupied Kashmir) and that resulted in a war(and more followed for the same.)

tennislover
Sep 9th, 2012, 10:36 PM

nice approach

ptkten
Sep 10th, 2012, 12:58 AM
I guess USA-China :unsure:

I don't know if most Americans consider any country a "rival" but I guess more and more people want to beat out China at the Olympics etc.

Dani12
Sep 10th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Definitely a top way to describe it.

We might take great pleasure in beating each other but much rather see NZ win if we can't.

It's definitely a healthy rivalry, there's no malice.

Tell that to the Aussie's that travelled to the Rugby world cup in NZ.

Nicolás89
Sep 10th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Chile-Perú, Chile-Bolivia, Chile-Argentina, Argentina-Uruguay, Argentina-Brazil, Perú-Ecuador, Ecuador-Colombia. To name a few in South America. :)

Wert.
Sep 10th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Azerbaijan vs Armenia
Serbia vs Croatia
Serbia vs Albania
Croatia v Slovenia
Greece v Turkey
Greece v Macedonia FYR.

rrfnpump
Sep 10th, 2012, 05:30 PM
France and Germany rivalry ended in 45 and it's pretty much a very nice relationship now. Living on the border, I've never noticed any ounce of rivalry left in people's mind.

I agree. Germans usually like French people and like to make vacations in France. At least I do. :lol:

August
Sep 10th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Finland-Sweden. That's especially important in ice hockey, even if I personally think it's greater when Finland beats Canada. On the other hand, losing to Canada isn't that bad as losing to Sweden, you can say Canada is too good, but Sweden is a country Finland should be able to beat.

azdaja
Sep 10th, 2012, 06:16 PM
I guess USA-China :unsure:

I don't know if most Americans consider any country a "rival" but I guess more and more people want to beat out China at the Olympics etc.
well, you can't build a proper rivalry when the most popular sports in the us are for the most part not popular anywhere else. there is some rivalry between the us and mexico when it gets to football (not the american version of it which is pretty much irrelevant everywhere else).

austria vs germany will be relavant once again tomorrow.

Wiggly
Sep 10th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Canada doesn't need a rivalry with anyone, the fighting within the provinces is already such a mess.