PDA

View Full Version : First week of University

Ciarán
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:06 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only one here. I was just wondering if any of you guys who have experienced it can give any tips on how to make the most of your first few weeks? Getting involved, making friends, budgeting and all that jazz. Everything appreciated :)

kwilliams
Sep 6th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Well, I sooo didn't get involved (I'm lazy), I started college with friends from school and then my friends multiplied all through college and I lived at home and had a part-time job, so I didn't really have to budget...so I can't give you too much advice on those fronts but put yourself out there, have fun but don't let your studies go completely by the wayside and most of all, grow, intellectually, socially and personally. Make the most of the experience because college is a really great time in your life! I hope it goes well for you :)

KournikovaFan91
Sep 6th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Your lucky to be starting im going into final year and I'd reiterate what kwilliams said, just put your self out there and do as much as possible.

Where are you going to college btw?

Ciarán
Sep 6th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Well, I sooo didn't get involved (I'm lazy), I started college with friends from school and then my friends multiplied all through college and I lived at home and had a part-time job, so I didn't really have to budget...so I can't give you too much advice on those fronts but put yourself out there, have fun but don't let your studies go completely by the wayside and most of all, grow, intellectually, socially and personally. Make the most of the experience because college is a really great time in your life! I hope it goes well for you :)

Great advice, thanks! I'll be living away from (though not too far) home. I have for the past two years, but I had my best friend with me. This time I'm doing it all on my own, so I'm a little nervous! Everyone I know says I shouldn't be because I'm apparently very social and always the ice breaker. I guess like with any new experience though; I'm anxious!

Your lucky to be starting im going into final year and I'd reiterate what kwilliams said, just put your self out there and do as much as possible.

Where are you going to college btw?

Everybody says that! I'm going to UUC. Spent two years in Belfast and fancy something different now. Ideally, I would have loved to have gone overseas, but because of those two years in Belfast; I have to pay my own fee's for first year. £3,500 was hard enough to save; never mind £9,000! :lol:

vanillalatte
Sep 6th, 2012, 07:13 PM
i will have my first week of university soon, too :) yay i'm so excited :D

borrowedheaven
Sep 6th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I'm also starting university this year. I'm really excited as I think it'll suit me much more than high school.

Dave.
Sep 6th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Good luck. :bounce: I have no advice as I hated the start of university. :tears:

miffedmax
Sep 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM
I think you've gotten good advice--it's better to overcommit and cut back than not get involved. This is a time in your life when you will not only find out which of you're old interests are your true passions, you'll probably find at least one new passion to pursue. And if your grades take a slight hit, you can pull them back up over the next three years as you figure out how much you can balance and still get good grades.

Looking back on it many years later, I won't give you the old cliche that these are the best years of your life. But they are certainly SOME of the best years.

Have fun, and make sure your learning is not limited to the classroom. Your peers, your lovers, the odd volume that catches your eye in library (for God's sake pick it up and read it!) the concerts you go to on a whim--these are more important to your education than any class. (Although those classes are good, too).

Keegan
Sep 6th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I loved Freshers Week. Just throw yourself into it and enjoy it. You're only a fresher once! (Technically)

Also, take lots of vitamins. Alcohol, late nights and sometimes crappy nutrition or exposure to unfamiliar germs or viruses can bring you down and make you feel crappy. Dissolvable ones are cheap and easily available at any supermarket :)

miffedmax
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I loved Freshers Week. Just throw yourself into it and enjoy it. You're only a fresher once! (Technically)

Also, take lots of vitamins. Alcohol, late nights and sometimes crappy nutrition or exposure to unfamiliar germs or viruses can bring you down and make you feel crappy. Dissolvable ones are cheap and easily available at any supermarket :)

Take into account he has not been exposed to Caca.

wild.river
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:35 AM
talk to as many people as possible (including nerds...those are the people you'll probably want to study with or borrow notes from later ;))
try to keep yourself from getting carried away with booze and partying

Wiggly
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:45 AM
talk to as many people as possible (including nerds...those are the people you'll probably want to study with or borrow notes from later ;))
try to keep yourself from getting carried away with booze and partying

This. Becoming best friends with a nerd is mandatory.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:52 AM
I'm also starting university this year. I'm really excited as I think it'll suit me much more than high school.

It suits everyone WAY better than high school believe me it is astronomically better. :yeah: Shame mine is ending soon :sobbing:

Adal
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:34 AM
I knew absolutely no one going to study in Denmark, so I know how you feel. Oddly enough, the first people I talked to during the introduction activities still remain some of my closest friends here.

But yeah, don't be afraid to talk to people, a lot of them are in the same position as you are. I remember I used to ask for a cigarette and then the conversation started. That's if you smoke, of course.

And party hard during the freshers week, those are some of the best times of uni life. You know that.

Good luck!

Sean.
Sep 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Be sociable, as in don't lock yourself in your room (or even if you are in your room, leave the door open) and you'll be fine. Everyone's in the same boat and looking to meet people so it's easy.

If you're in a flat or something, don't be afraid just to go and knock on the door of other flats and introduce yourself. They're not going to shut the door in your face.

Definitely try things out (the Uni will let you know what's going on), but don't go wild signing up to clubs and stuff, I spent ridiculous amounts on joining fees to societies I never went to.

Also, go easy on the alcohol on the 1st few days, it's tempting to go a bit too hard, because you're at Uni, but you don't want to be "that" drunk one.

Can't really think of anything else right now. Did you have any particular questions?

Mary Cherry.
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Good luck. :bounce: I have no advice as I hated the start of university. :tears:

This.

Just be prepared to share a kitchen with vile people who don't know what washing up liquid is.

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 7th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Awwww....Ciaran has grown up.:hug:
Have fun!:cheer: :oh:

Adrian.
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:24 PM
This.

Just be prepared to share a kitchen with vile people who don't know what washing up liquid is.

:haha::hug:

Julian.
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I hated the start of university too :sobbing:

I felt so overwhelmed with everything. Everything was new and I felt totally clueless and had to learn and did a lot of things within a couple of days :tears:

Keegan
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Take into account he has not been exposed to Caca.

Don't be silly. Anyone who comes into contact with the beast dies a horrible death after seven days as she shows them her private tapes. :sad:

Fantasy Hero
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I know it may sound like a cliche, but my advice is: Be yourself and enjoy the most your time there, without losing the focus on what's your main goal (=graduating).
Be yourself, because I think that it's the only way to make true friendships, the ones that may last forever and they can only been those kinds if you are who you are ;)
the second one is more about "how" to have fun, living away from home with a lot of chance for parties (even every night) makes it really easy to lose the focus on your real goal, which is to get a good preparation and likely to score good marks and graduate the sooner possible ;)

have fun :yeah:

The Dawntreader
Sep 8th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Be scared and be happy.