PDA

View Full Version : Has this US Open lived up to your Expectations?

Maria rocks
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:49 PM
I think its been wonderful and if Maria could win it on Saturday night it would just be the icing on the cake:)

Christinawww
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:17 PM
My two faves, Vika and Serena both in SF, and then another top player, Maria, also in the SF line-up. Not sure I would have picked Errani as the fourth player in SF before the tournament, but 3 of 4 aren't bad. Also, we have had some good matches here and there, which is also to be prefered. So yes I would say it has

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Yes for once it actually did. All we need now is a three setter in the final:shrug:.

The favorites to win Serena-Maria-Vika are in the semifinals :yeah:.

Tenis Srbija
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Not really. But Vika - Sam match was just :drool:

supergrunt
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM
No, not really. And for the same old reasons: lack of competitive matches and real rivalries.

kiwifan
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:46 PM
3 of the 4 I'd most want playing in the finals are present...

...and I pretty much knew my 4th, Venus, wouldn't be here, so...

...:yeah: :yeah:

Sammo
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Please, Errani is in the semifinals...

tennisfan5
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:59 PM
No, not really. And for the same old reasons: lack of competitive matches and real rivalries.

Sharapova d. Petrova
Sharapova d. Bartoli
Azarenka d. Stosur

but I'll give you the lack of real rivalries

AcesHigh
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:11 PM
As usual, the quality has been subpar. Men's tournament has been interesting though I'm upset Fed lost.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:42 PM
In some respects yes.

Good
Vika in Semis :yeah:
Sesil Qualifying :cheer:
High quality Vika-Sam match makes a change from what we're used to
Ivanovic back in a QF :)

Bad
Makiri losing before Serena :sad:
Sesil not making Thundercheva vs Sugarpova happpen :sobbing:
Robson's run :o
Makiri/Petrova losing after beating WS

Roookie
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:42 PM
After Maria-Vika match I'm done with it.

Michalka
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Yes :hearts: the three best players of the year in the semifinals, Vika and Serenka being two of them :hearts:

but again there was some disappointment since kvitty and na lost so badly :sobbing:

Maria4Ever
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Thought it would be ordinary and it has, conclude by silly 3rd set tie breakers and the rain. I have found this slam the least interesting. I guess at all the other slams we had SOMEONE making a big run to the semi's/finals.

StoneRose
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Happy sofar but we're not done yet.

Renalicious
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:59 PM
For some reason this year it doesn't feel like a real US Open. I feel like I've been watching a Premier Mandatory tournament... :unsure: I don't really know how to explain it.

erschloy214
Sep 6th, 2012, 05:00 PM
I think it's been a good Open....the three clear best players this year are in the semis - Serena, Maria, Vika. A few US women made strides as well. Also it was nice to see a young talent like Robson playing well. I agree maybe there could have been some more exciting matches, but when you have some really dominant athletes...it can happen.

2Black
Sep 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Yep... I knew all that winning by Na Li & Kvitova would mean nothing come grand slam time. Now, all I want is a Azarenka/Serena final. I think for once it would be a great match because Serena's serve is not as on this slam. We shall see!

KournikovaFan91
Sep 6th, 2012, 05:02 PM
For some reason this year it doesn't feel like a real US Open. I feel like I've been watching a Premier Mandatory tournament... :unsure: I don't really know how to explain it.

Believe me when your watching Beijing in a few weeks then you'll now what a premier mandatory feels like :tape:

Olórin
Sep 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I think it's a bit silly asking this before the semis and final. The three most anticipated and three most watched matches. If they are all blowouts (which is hypothetically possible) then that would put a serious dampner on the tournament for a lot of people.

HippityHop
Sep 6th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Please, Errani is in the semifinals...

And why is she there? Because she's beaten everyone she's faced so far. That's how it works.

miffedmax
Sep 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM
There have been some crappy matches and a few good ones, and some players I would have liked to see do better, but in the end you have arguably four of the top five players of 2012 in the semis with three of them in a position to cement their claim as the best player of the year (Vika, Serena, Masha). If Errani wins it, it's still good because it throws the decision to the YEC and extends the drama for the rest of the season, as well as forcing everyone to take it seriously. Radwanska might have been a stronger candidate than Errani going in, but she failed to make it this far so it seems we must proclaim Errani the deserving candidate.

Secondly, that Vika has made a run to the SF may not have restored the luster of the #1 ranking, but it has certainly scraped away several layers of tarnish and muck. Her run of regular WTA titles, coupled with a major record of W/4r/SF/SF and BR medal is really only tarnished by her losses to Serena on grass.

There was a time when being #1 meant something, and Vika has done a great deal to bring us back to that point, love her or hate her (Martha did her bit winning the French to hold the ranking for a while, too).

Hopefully, the ladies will come out with guns blazing and the matches will be of high quality and exciting. 2012 could end on a really strong note.

Joe.
Sep 6th, 2012, 06:30 PM
On the whole, YES, because Maria and Vika are in the semi's and Laura's run gave me life :cheer:

But Kiri and Tamira lost so early :sobbing: AND Paula didn't make the MD :awww:

Heather got a shitty draw and Bojana didn't take her opportunities against Cibulkova :sad:

TheLegendof
Sep 6th, 2012, 06:38 PM
It's definitely lived up to mine. I assumed the big three would get to the semis and I'm excited to see who's going to take it all and claim POY (fingers crossed for Serena)

Jimmie48
Sep 6th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Not really, no. The only one not letting me down is Vika, the rest was an utter disappointment, starting with the German girls in qualifiers.

Right now there has been little that is really memorable. Vika vs. Stosur was good and the Baroli vs Kvitova match was a hoot but other than that, this isn't really a tournament that I'll remember for long.

Tezuka.
Sep 6th, 2012, 06:56 PM

This.

ptkten
Sep 6th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Overall, it's been sort of dull, it's hard to explain why but there seems to be something missing. The crowds haven't been as good as they usually are in my opinion.

However, the QF were great for the women and it should be good from here on out.

I think this is the first time the women have the chance to outshine the men in the later rounds in a long time. The men's event was great in the beginning with all those five setters but without Nadal and Federer in the semis, there's definitely something missing.

Break My Rapture
Sep 6th, 2012, 07:13 PM
I think it's a bit silly asking this before the semis and final. The three most anticipated and three most watched matches. If they are all blowouts (which is hypothetically possible) then that would put a serious dampner on the tournament for a lot of people.
Pretty much. That aside we've had a total of three good quality matches: Robson/Clijsters, Azarenka/Stosur and Sharapova/Bartoli. So yeah not the best tournament quality-wise so far.

DragonFlame
Sep 6th, 2012, 07:19 PM
No faves for me, total disappointment. Especially Li Na.

nazzac
Sep 6th, 2012, 08:53 PM
It's been okay i guess. A few good matches, but i haven't got into this tournament like i did RG and Wimbledon, even the Aussie open. Maybe it's because Slava and Tsonga went out early, but when i think about it, even when they were still in, i wasn't really into it.

TBH, i've never been into the US Open as much as the other slams. Don't know why though

marineblue
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Yes, lots of flops and not that many interesting match ups. I'm off to watch mens event.

NashaMasha
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Pretty much. That aside we've had a total of three good quality matches: Robson/Clijsters, Azarenka/Stosur and Sharapova/Bartoli. So yeah not the best tournament quality-wise so far.

+ Sharapova/Petrova , Venus/Kerber drama-wise

the main problem of this US Open is that Serena wasn't challenged and all who really can challenge were either in the other part of draw or failed to go deep in the draw. This Cakewalk is really spoiling the impression

longtin23
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:18 PM
The USO is my least favourite slam of all year. Faves do as bad as they did as before :o Na losing R3, Zheng in R2 and Peng in R1 while Zhang didnt qualify...

The White Whale
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Before the Tipsarevic-Ferrer and Djokovic-Delpotro matches, the USO was interesting only because of the women's side.

rnwerner
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I can't live with Errani in the semifinal.
As a Radwanska fan I have to admit/say that she played so bad that she would not be the right person to be in the Semifinal from that quarter.

But I'd prefer Shvedova over Errani.
Shvedova had matchpoints against Vinci, could have beaten Radwanska and Errani as well.
She played good against Serena at Wimbledon and she would be the better competitor against Serena.

With the three other Semifinalists,
i'm ok. But Petrova or Bartoli could have won against Sharapova.

I am very disappointed from Na Li and Petra Kvitova.
It is so annoying to see to two best players of the US Open Series Tournaments to play this bad and without any fire or passion.

Kerber and Pavlyuchenkova were very disappointing as well.

All in all, it's an ok Slam Tournament.
I think we can have a good final with Azarenka- Williams.

Errani played well but again: She did not play Top 10 tennis.
She had an easy draw with no ballbasher. Kerber made her a dangerous and tricky opponent and Vinci did play utterly bad.

Maria rocks
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I really can't see anything else but 6-0, 6-0 to Serena against Errani in the semi's. So annoying as i really don't want Maria to have to face Serena in the Final.

Maria Croft
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:16 PM
It depends on the next two rounds.
It happens too often these days on the WTA that the best matches happen early on in the tournament, and blow outs often happen in the SF's and Finals. So with Serena in such devastating form, she could very well sweep the next few rounds as well, and that would leave for a very anti-climactic finish, unless you're a Serena fan of course.

RVD
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Not sure yet.
So far, there haven't really been any outstanding matches.
A few have been interesting to me, but the sheer excitement of out-and-out rivalries are missing. And the whole atmosphere of the touney seems strangely subdued.

Plus the draw seemed peculiar and particularly biased (or strangely off) to me.
One side seemed curiously far heavier than the other. Almost as if the execs didn't want a few of the top players meeting Serena too early, in order to capitalize on as many of the fan favorites moving forward.
Probably just my imagination though.

The US Open has always been a bit sketchy to me anyway.
HORRIBLE officiating for years and years. A total lack of fan support for Serena (who is American...except, this year at least appears to be different, thank goodness).
But as far as Slam tournaments, it's still far better than the FO in every way possible.

We still have a Semi-final and Final to go though, so a lot can happen between today and Saturday.

My hopes for the rest of the tourney are:

1) Better officiating for the Semi and Finals for once. Some calls or lack of calls have still been ridiculous!

2) Continued fan support for Serena.
(It's an American Tourney and she's an American for pete sakes)

3) No Serena meltdowns (as the media will attempt to negate all she's accomplished for America and herself this year).

4) Some high quality top 3 level competition.

5) Serena lifting the trophy to cap a stellar and banner year for her 15th slam title.

random fan
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM
If Maria if going to get bageled in the first set of the final again vs You-Know-Who she should just do murder suicide, seriously...

18majors
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Yes, Maria is still in the tournament.

metamorpha
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:16 PM
The US Open has always been a bit sketchy to me anyway.
HORRIBLE officiating for years and years.

1) Better officiating for the Semi and Finals for once. Some calls or lack of calls have still been ridiculous!

Yeah, the quality of the calls has been very poor so far.