PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone just in complete awe of Serena Williams?

tennisbear7
Sep 6th, 2012, 11:53 AM
To break through at the tender age of 17, winning the USO, to winning Wimbledon and the Olympics back to back as a 30 year old veteran. Throughout all these years, winning the big titles, demolishing, fighting, scrapping her way to victories.

Even if she doesn't win the USO, to have a Wimbledon/Olympics/Charleston/Madrid/Stanford year is just phenomenal. Her game is still the best, and after all these years no one has taken that mantle from her. Sure she had brilliant rivals like Venus and Henin, but she's outlasted, and outshone them all.

Respect and admire while she's still here, folks. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Petersmiler
Sep 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Here here! I completely agree. We are very lucky to be tennis fans while she is still playing. Awesome.

danieln1
Sep 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
One of the best ever. And clearly with some yesrs ahead of her to get more slams.

Actually she won everything.possible in tennis, except a International event :oh:

oh yeah i guess
Sep 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Oh yeah she's very good I guess.

Lourdes27
Sep 6th, 2012, 12:19 PM
I'm certainly going to miss her when she retires. Glad I was around to see her dominate.

jj74
Sep 6th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I think to compete with Serena you need to have different weapons, that's the reason Henin was a great rival. But most players use exactly the same scheme, and nobody is better than Serena playing that way (and she even have more tricks than the rest of hard hitters).
If she stays fit, she will be the one to beat

IceSkaTennisFan
Sep 6th, 2012, 12:41 PM
It's been the Serena era in women's tennis.

Sent from my iPhone using VS Free

Cloon76
Sep 6th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Not the biggest Serena fan but boy I have to :worship:, she is killing everyone at the min and I dont see any end in sight yet !!!

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Only the haters don't.:oh:

pov
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Complete awe? Not me. Respect and admire her tennis, her career and her accomplishments? Without a doubt! Have been and still will be - even when she retires in 10 years or so.

barmaid
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Yesterday before her match against Ana the U.S. commentators were going on and on about Serena's skills and accomplishments ad naseum and yes, it does get a little "over the top" with all the accolades, derserving of them as she might be...she still had some "ugly" moments of degrading herself and other officials...she's been dominant for sure and has exhibited the most power of any player in her era.:worship:..but annointing her for "sainthood" :angel: ain't gonna happen!

Barmaid:wavey:

nelsondan
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I am a big fan of Maria sharapova. I am in awe of Serena. I think she is playing better than I have ever seen, and I think she looks prettier this year than ever. Most people do not give Maria a chance to make it to the finals, but if she does, there is still a small chance she could beat Serena. If she manages to win a set, then the third set could be a classic, and, overall, for tennis it would be a good thing.

Probably the thing most likely, we will have still another reason to be in awe of Serena, Maria has accomplished a few things, herself, so if she gets past azarenka...you never know.

Melly Flew Us
Sep 6th, 2012, 08:14 PM
Yesterday before her match against Ana the U.S. commentators were going on and on about Serena's skills and accomplishments ad naseum and yes, it does get a little "over the top" with all the accolades, derserving of them as she might be...she still had some "ugly" moments of degrading herself and other officials...she's been dominant for sure and has exhibited the most power of any player in her era.:worship:..but annointing her for "sainthood" :angel: ain't gonna happen!

ok. i think you should have sent this to the commentators who got on your tits.

because this thread is about respecting serena's greatness as a player.

which i do. yay serena

Annie.
Sep 6th, 2012, 08:20 PM
Yes! We are clearly not worthy. I praise her light as often as I can; we all should. :bowdown:

bushido brown
Sep 6th, 2012, 08:50 PM
i am, with the crap she has put on top of herself and thats been put on top of her and yet still be able to achieve so much is something i can only envy

edificio
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:05 PM
If she wins this title, overcoming her USO demons, I will definitely be in complete awe. In any case, her play is awesome, even if this tournament her serve hasn't been as super duper awesome bowl me over.

edificio
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:06 PM

Two negative incidents in her WHOLE career (and one of them was just childishness rather than much at all). If you want to remember that, so be it.

Volcana
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:14 PM
What I think is kind of amazing is, ten years ago, even in the midst of the Serena Slam, people (justifiably) called her 'Wild Thing'.

When you win matches in slams with 50 and even 60 UEs, People are justified in thinking your control is lacking. Ten years later, look at the unforced error totals in her first five matches.

9, 24, 16, 7, 14

winner/UE ratio for first five matches?

+7, +8, +15, +24, +12

Not remarkable for your average #1 against non-top ten opposition. But who could have imagined ten years ago that Serena Williams would turn into THIS player? A player who controls rallies and builds points, instead hitting everything as hard as she could, because enough of them went in that she could get away with it?

Cosmic Voices
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Two negative incidents in her WHOLE career (and one of them was just childishness rather than much at all). If you want to remember that, so be it.

Comparing attitudes between roger an serena is unparalleled
Rena's a champion but not a role model of how to promote the sport

edificio
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:25 PM

I made no such comparison.

In any case, she is a positive role model.

JN
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Indubitably. :worship::worship::worship:

TheLegendof
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:32 PM
I am in awe of her for sure. Her 2007 comeback at the AO is a huge inspiration for me, personally (as is the rest of her career, of course). I feel like we Serena fans have been very spoiled over the years and I want to enjoy her as much as possible while she's still playing.

ziros
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:45 PM
No,not really. Federer,Nadal can blow me away with what they're capable of on court. Serena never does this...

TheLegendof
Sep 6th, 2012, 09:50 PM

I disagree, just because I think Serena is a role model in a different way. Obviously, she's not perfect, she has flaws (though honestly, I don't think she has any more character deficits than Roger Federer or any other player), but when she and Venus started out, they were misfits. And when a misfit rises to the top of a sport or anything else, well I think that's inspiring to a whole lot of people and makes for a very positive role model.

Serena isn't the sum of her mistakes anymore than anyone else, so for me, a couple of bad incidents (and that they were) doesn't mean she isn't a role model. And the sport could have chosen to use her to promote the sport much more but chose not to, long before any US Open incidents. That is a loss for women's tennis, not Serena.

SerenaMJ
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Yes, I am in awe of Serena. Yes I am a fan, but everything she did this year has surpassed my expectations big time. The year didn't start promising, she sprained her ankle at the first tournament, just days before AO, so I knew she was going nowhere near the finals there. It took her long weeks to get it sorted but boy when she came back in Charleston, that was probably the best tennis I have seen and it only continued in Madrid. Then back pain made her withdraw from Rome SF. She entered French Open not in a very good form, she fell apart mentally there and the booing crowd didn't help either. She lost and bounced back beautifully in Wimbledon and then the Olympics. Boy that was a journey. I actually saw her play live at both events and this gave me a whole new experience and view on her game. It's just so much different to watch it on tv and to experience it live. She blew me away absolutely! Then she still played Cincy when everyone simply chose to rest and maybe she shouldn't have played too because it was painful to watch her dragging herself around the court fighting jet lag and stuff, but well. Now US Open, SF already. I am seriously thinking about going to Istanbul for WTA Championships just to see her play again.

RVD
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:04 AM
I've been in awe of Serena since September 1995.
First was Monica Seles, then Venus, and then Serena, who just freak'n put a stamp on my sporting heart.

What impressed me the most about Serena, in 1995, was how quickly she emerged from the shadow of big sister Vee (a mere 4 years later).
That, in and of itself, is by no means a small feat.

There was so much pressure and adversity she had to overcome. And even many of her original fans back in the day abandoned her when she mercilessly beat out big sis for the family's first slam title, and continued to outpace big sis when they met at slam tourneys.

However, more than anything, I admire and am in awe of her 'principled' stance against the Indian Wells tournament executives, fans, and commentators, who irrationally attacked her, and wrongly admonish and berated her for the very same (if not far worse) offenses committed by constituent male and female players.
She just never once thought of giving up.
Even when facing life-threatening injuries.
She's the perennial come-back player of tennis.
Now, to think that at 30 years old, she'd be better than her peak years...?
Setting serving records, then breaking them.
Seeking to constantly improve her overall game.
Playing more, not fewer, tournaments as she gets older.
Unquestionably a role model.

Yep...
Truly awe-inspiring. :worship: :cool:

Olórin
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:20 AM

Serena is the perfect role model. Yes, that's right. The only thing tennis players need to do is play good tennis and make it entertaining if possible while at it. That's it. When have sports stars ever provided a moral blue print or way to act and behave. The most famous ones are often the most controversial. David Beckham kicked a fellow player and got sent off the pitch. Muhammad Ali was incredibly arrogant and both he and Tiger Woods had affairs.

You think players watch Federer's tennis matches and say I want to walk on the court like him, or I want to cry like him in defeat? Aspiring players just want to play like them. Sports is about competing, it's aggressive by its nature.

brickhousesupporter
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:25 AM
I am glad the original poster is seeing what I have been seing since 98

b_o_r
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:35 AM
What I think is kind of amazing is, ten years ago, even in the midst of the Serena Slam, people (justifiably) called her 'Wild Thing'.

When you win matches in slams with 50 and even 60 UEs, People are justified in thinking your control is lacking. Ten years later, look at the unforced error totals in her first five matches.

9, 24, 16, 7, 14

winner/UE ratio for first five matches?

+7, +8, +15, +24, +12

Not remarkable for your average #1 against non-top ten opposition. But who could have imagined ten years ago that Serena Williams would turn into THIS player? A player who controls rallies and builds points, instead hitting everything as hard as she could, because enough of them went in that she could get away with it?

I wish we had witnessed that point in her career where her athleticism and tennis abilities were at their peak at the same time. Serena's athleticism peaked in the summer of 2003 while she didn't become a true "tennis player" until 2008. Serena would have approached Evert's record of double bagels if that scenario had played out. :worship:

Volcana
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:31 AM
No,not really. Federer,Nadal can blow me away with what they're capable of on court. Serena never does this...Your loss. Federer is beautiful tennis player. At his best, I almost don't care about the score watching him. Serena is an AWESOME tennis player.

She does things on the court that make you say things to the TV. Mostly 'Oh My GOD!!!!'

Mrs. Peel
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:35 AM
To break through at the tender age of 17, winning the USO, to winning Wimbledon and the Olympics back to back as a 30 year old veteran. Throughout all these years, winning the big titles, demolishing, fighting, scrapping her way to victories.

Even if she doesn't win the USO, to have a Wimbledon/Olympics/Charleston/Madrid/Stanford year is just phenomenal. Her game is still the best, and after all these years no one has taken that mantle from her. Sure she had brilliant rivals like Venus and Henin, but she's outlasted, and outshone them all.

Respect and admire while she's still here, folks. :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Even more so given the fact that she has risen above all the criticism and the wishes that she would fail. So much venom directed at her, that would destroy and discourage most people. She will never this, she will never that ad infinitum. The tennis world (and many here) never imagined that she would last this long, returning from major health issues to only bounce back fitter, faster and stronger than ever, destroying everyone in her wake. She is almost mythic. She is a rare breed. Nothing but respect and awe over here.

Volcana
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I wish we had witnessed that point in her career where her athleticism and tennis abilities were at their peak at the same time. Serena's athleticism peaked in the summer of 2003 while she didn't become a true "tennis player" until 2008. Serena would have approached Evert's record of double bagels if that scenario had played out. :worship:Tennis playing ability takes time to mature. Unless you're Martina Hingis, anyway.

Serena became a slam champion as a blaster. She wasn't even mature as an athlete, much less a tennis player, and certainly not as a person. To become this tennis player, she had to grow up all three phases. And honestly, her complete meltdown vs Kim Clijsters at the 2009 US Open was probably an important part of that. Also all the injuries she had to come back from, counting her first, Serena has been eligible for 60 slams, she missed 11 of them due to injury.

Basically, the person, and thus player she is now, is as much the product of adversity as anything else.

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:24 AM
It's special to watch :) so proud of her

JRena
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:42 AM
Can't wait for Lakeisha and Richard's offsprings to start playing grandslams. Gonna be loud as hell.

kyk710
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:59 AM
Your loss. Federer is beautiful tennis player. At his best, I almost don't care about the score watching him. Serena is an AWESOME tennis player.

She does things on the court that make you say things to the TV. Mostly 'Oh My GOD!!!!'

With me its 'JESUS!'.

I was awed in the 90s and am more in awe of her every year, every single match she wants to get better, she still thinks she can be more awesome. Serena is unmistakable, untamable, and sometimes, unbeatable. To not be in awe of her is fine, we don't all have to be fans. But not to be in awe of the career she has had is to be in denial.

kyk710
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:12 AM

Depends on what kind of role model you want. Some of us are just fine with a human role model. I prefer rooting for someone who has been down and out, publicly having to vanquish all demons (external and otherwise). It makes the redemption sweet as watermelon. A perfectly polished and polite role model is boring to me.

Serena has brought the sport of tennis to many people who never would have had any interest in it. Whether or not you like her, she has already had a lasting impact on the sport. Just look at the young girls coming up now, then try to say Serena isn't a role model with a straight face.

Ziggy Starduck
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I can't be in complete awe of Serena while she wears that thing on her head. Seriously I'm surprised she's got time for tennis what with international airports calling her all the time wanting wind updates :shrug:

ziros
Sep 7th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Can't wait for Lakeisha and Richard's offsprings to start playing grandslams. Gonna be loud as hell.
Who?

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Amazing for sure!

thegreendestiny
Sep 7th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Amazing athlete no doubt about that. Her game is a perfect combination of physical and mental supremacy. The best of all female tennis players in history.

Amazing person? That's for another debate which I would say NO to.

Kunal
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:08 AM
a timely thread.

we dont know what we've got until its gone. we should consider ourselves lucky to be watching one of the all time greats playing even now at 30 in her peak form.

nealcaffrey
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:24 AM
yes she is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Serena became a slam champion as a blaster. I disagree with this. I think even in the victory in 1999 over Hingis she showed savvy and headiness. she was clearly "thinking" out there. In fact, I will go as far as to say she was attempting to blast fewer winners then she would today.

Serena, from the very first, has always been under estimated in this regard.

bandabou
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:44 AM
agreed...Serena's always been very adaptable in her game, much moreso than Vee...but them being sisters, people think they play the same game.

SerenaSiren
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Serena gets no media time or praise whatsoever. Everything that is reported and recognized about her is the negative. She doesn't get the attention she deserves. Sure, she has had 2 outburst but so has many people in the sporting world but they still get a lot of appreciation. I'm glad she's here in the US but most of the time I wish she would move to Australia or the UK. She'll get more appreciation there.

I Love her so much
and I wont follow Tennis without her.. :)

C. Drone
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Never thought I'll stan her much, but her comeback and now the last couple of months making WTA as her playground, she got me on my knees praying she'll stay long.
She is a challenge, the rest of players just have to deal with it.

siempreneltenis
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Contrary to popular belief, she IS good for the game. She came "out of nowhere" this year after some rough patches like those losses against Wozniacki and Makarova and some scrub at the 1ts round of the French, and suddenly she looks LITERALLY invincible. That can only be good for the other gorls, who WILL need to figure her out and up their games BIG TIME if they ever want to win a title at a tournament she's (committed) in.

I'm confident she'll win this slam too and will embarrass one of the other gerls, but here's hoping they start reacting to these trouncings and develop their games further.

cautiouslip
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:07 AM
She is amazing. Hopefully she will encourage girl's everywhere and be the benchmark so the women's tour will continue to improve and reach new heights. I'm not a fan but it is indisputable

JN
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Serena gets no media time or praise whatsoever. Everything that is reported and recognized about her is the negative. She doesn't get the attention she deserves. Sure, she has had 2 outburst but so has many people in the sporting world but they still get a lot of appreciation. I'm glad she's here in the US but most of the time I wish she would move to Australia or the UK. She'll get more appreciation there.

I Love her so much

I prefer she stay right here and continue to throw it in their faces. Let them move if they can't deal. Lil Sis will be just fine with or w/o their appreciation. :)

RVD
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I disagree with this. I think even in the victory in 1999 over Hingis she showed savvy and headiness. she was clearly "thinking" out there. In fact, I will go as far as to say she was attempting to blast fewer winners then she would today.

Serena, from the very first, has always been under estimated in this regard.There you go again, making a butt load of sense and stamping the FACTS down in emphatic fashion. :worship:
You are freak'n GODLY!! :lol:

A "Blaster?!"

That poster is attempting to portray Serena as some dumb & ignorant cannon of a player, when the truth is that Serena beat Hingis at her own game, and with power and athleticism to boot. And not just hingis, but other top players in the process!!!! PLUS a Doubles title!!Williams was seeded seventh at the US Open, where she defeated world no. 4 Monica Seles, world no. 2 Lindsay Davenport, and world no. 1 Hingis to become the second African-American woman (after Althea Gibson in 1958) to win a Grand Slam singles tournament. The Williams sisters also won the doubles title at this tournament, their second Grand Slam title together.But she was simply a "Blaster", huh? :rolleyes:

Why can't Serena just be given her hard earned respect? :facepalm:

#1SteffiGraf#1
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Not really.

Most of the best women's athletes in the world play basketball. Very few bother playing tennis. Serena is an actual female athlete who could have been a great basketball player, but because of Richard, she played tennis.

She is one of the few actual great athletes playing women's tennis. She is just bigger, stronger, faster and more coordinated than most of the rest of the players.

tennisbum79
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Not really.

Most of the best women's athletes in the world play basketball. Very few bother playing tennis. Serena is an actual female athlete who could have been a great basketball player, but because of Richard, she played tennis.

She is one of the few actual great athletes playing women's tennis. She is just bigger, stronger, faster and more coordinated than most of the rest of the players.
Graf was also a excellent athelete, but is often overlooked.

In my estimation, with her body type, she could run short distances(100m, 200m, 400m) with her strong legs and strong back.

tennisbum79
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:31 PM

I Love her so much
Although I would not want her to move, I agree with you 100%, especially about Australia.

I can't put my finger on it, but watching her throughout the years, Aussies and Serena just seem to fit together.
She seem freer whne she is there, the crowd appreciates her more and she feels it, she is not as guarded as she is in the US, being careful not to offend someone.

She also gives her best effort in Melbourne , in appreciation of what she gets from the crowd.

Her goofy side does not seem to be out of place in Australia, in fact, it is an asset with the Aussies.

As for England, I am not so sure, although she is more apperciated than in US; the British crowd sometimes seems to be uneasy(and cringy) with the ruthlessness and easy she disposes of opponents.
OTH, they embrace her when she is vulnerable

Stamp Paid
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Lordrena. She is our mother and we are all her children.

Stamp Paid
Sep 7th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Although I would not want her to move, I agree with you 100%, especially about Australia.

I can't put my finger on it, but watching her throughout the years, Aussies and Serena just seem to fit together.
She seem freer whne she is there, the crowd appreciates her more and she feels it, she is not as guarded as she is in the US, being careful not to offend someone.
She also gives her best effort in Sidney, in appreciation of what she gets from the crowd.

Her goofy side does not seem to be out of place in Australia, in fact, it is an asset with the Aussies.

As for England, I am not so sure, although she is more apperciated than in US; the British crowd sometimes seems to be uneasy(and cringy) with the ruthlessness and easy she disposes of opponents.
OTH, they embrace her when she is vulnerableI think her 2007 run solidified their love for her, plus she always gives them great matches down under, and they know how much that slam means to her. Australian Open is Serena's favorite slam and I think the Aussie fans appreciate that.

Miss Atomic Bomb
Jun 8th, 2013, 04:35 PM
Keeping on adding to your legacy Lord!