PDA

View Full Version : Is the Ivanovic forehand the best since Steffi's?

Navratil
Sep 6th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Petrova said that Ivanovic still has the best forehand on tour.

On a good day: Fore sure. Overall: Not sure about Stosur, S. Williams and Sharapova. But probably same league.

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 6th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Who is this peasant Petrova again excuse me :scratch:?

skanky~skanketta
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:07 AM
No.

DrRena
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:09 AM
No. I think Serena has a superior forehand, weighing up reliability, return of serve and variety.

SilverSlam
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
No. I think Serena has a superior forehand, weighing up reliability, return of serve and variety.

:spit: Maybe not so much ROS.....

Anyways she has one of the best FHs, I guess Petrova has her own opinion who she thinks has the best.

DrRena
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:13 AM
:spit: Maybe not so much ROS.....

Anyways she has one of the best FHs, I guess Petrova has her own opinion who she thinks has the best.

:confused: You think Ivanovic has a better ROS than Serena on the forehand wing....

I'll agree to disagree there :lol:

SilverSlam
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:20 AM
:confused: You think Ivanovic has a better ROS than Serena on the forehand wing....

I'll agree to disagree there :lol:

:sobbing:

Raiden
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Petrova is right. It's the best multi wing (running round the backhand) forehand.

jasonbloom
Sep 6th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Ana's forehand is so inconsistent, not the best for sure

DefyingGravity
Sep 6th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Ana's forehand is so inconsistent, not the best for sure

So?

Name someone on the WTA whose forehand doesn't break down ever?

Serena? No.
Sharapova? No.

In the scope of an entire game being built around the forehand, Ana's is superior. A lot of the girls are much more balanced now and are more likely to take more shots off the backhand.

doktor
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Considering the rest of her game is a mess, she's top 15 on forehand alone.

Kinda speaks to how good it is IMO

Patrick345
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM

That doesn´t mean much. Is Wozniacki´s backhand that good, is Vinci´s forehand that good?

The backhand is not that bad. It´s more mental. Stosur always break out of her mentally induced backhand suckage every few months. Ana just stays there permanently, especially whenever she plays a top player. If Ana had the best forehand on the women´s tour she would have broken Serena at 3-4. All of the first seven points in that game were winnable. She missed two easy forehands and another rally forehand. There was a stat deep in the 2nd set yesterday that she hit as many backhand as forehand winners up to that point. Ana just crumbles under pressure.

If there really is an example of a player that couldn´t handle the mental pressure of being #1 and who´s downfall could mostly be attributed to that it would be Ivanovic. These days she is at least back to beating the players she is supposed to beat (from a ranking perspective), but as soon as she runs into a player, she feels is superior or won´t go away, she´ll lose it. Don´t think it´s a coincidence she always wins Bali, which nobody really considers a real tournament, so she might not feel any pressure or big resistance there.

The 2nd Law
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:28 PM

Yeah pretty much. As much as her game regressed, she's 12 in the world. Top 12 with an inconsistent serve, average at best movement (it's better on clay) and a very very average bh. It must be a good forehand :lol:

Patrick345
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:30 PM
To put it very simple: If you have the best forehand in tennis you automatically achieve more than Ana has over the last 3-4 years.

Pebbles
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM
On a very good day, probably. Trouble is those are few and far between for Ana. I think at its best, on par with how Dementieva was hitting hers 2004/2005

dencod16
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I think it;s up there, when it comes to power i would say yes, but when it comes to overall, i think her Serena match showed that she is still below Serena in that Department, Though it is getting better as she is not going for the lines and have more percentage with her forehand.

jasonbloom
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:51 PM
So?

Serena? No.
Sharapova? No.

In the scope of an entire game being built around the forehand, Ana's is superior. A lot of the girls are much more balanced now and are more likely to take more shots off the backhand.

So? I agree that everyone on the WTA whose forehand will break down sometimes, but not as frequent as Ana,
Her forehand is not that good now, always hit so many easy errors, hit one winner then hit two errors just like last night

chuvack
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:56 PM
I love me some Ajde, but Ana's FH is not close to being the best since Graf.

Henin, Serena, Dementieva, all had/have better.

Loungy
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:57 PM
I don't even think her fh is as powerful as it was 4 years ago, what even.

everythingtaboo
Sep 6th, 2012, 01:58 PM
On a good day that FH is just... :drool: I do see a lot of Steffi in it.

Sammo
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Serena > Stosur > Ivanovic

Ballbasher
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:22 PM
There were days, when I would have said Ana and Sveta were really up with the best in terms of forehand. But Sveta's has basically gone to nowhere and Ana's is a shadow of her former one, which just flashes through occasionally. :sad:

pierce85
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:39 PM
WTF, are you guys watching tennis or another sport? Ivanovic's forehand is the flashiest and produces many winners but it is not reliable, it breaks down too often. Better forehands than Ivanovic -----Davenport, Pierce, Serena, Justine

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 6th, 2012, 02:50 PM
nope

2Black
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:16 PM
I used to LOVE Ana's game but at this point, I'll take Venus' forehand over Ana. :lol:

Cajka
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:19 PM
So?

Serena? No.
Sharapova? No.

Yes, I agree. Those who say that Serena have a better fh, should try to imagine them without serve and backhand, because that's how Ana plays. Definitely, forehand is atm the only part of her game that works.

7f06GJIydH0

When her fh is off, it's scary to watch her. It happened against Vinci.

tennisbum79
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM
When she is on and it is working, it is one of the most demoralizing and disarming shots for the opponent.

Unfortunately, certainity of mental lapses in Aana's game (where the FH suddenly goes away) does not give this shot its full impact.

BTW, I prefer Ana's elegant follow thru hitting her FH to Graf's awkward jerky motion when hitting her FH.

remyremy
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Sure, it could be but it isn't consistent enough.
Don't forget Pierce forhand !!! :armed:

smarties
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:33 PM
NO

Power: Lucie Hradecka (NO ONE on the women's tour past or present hits a bigger ball)
Best overall: Serena

Craig.
Sep 6th, 2012, 03:49 PM
To put it very simple: If you have the best forehand in tennis you automatically achieve more than Ana has over the last 3-4 years.

This. Next.

shoparound
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM
If we take away these consistency issues between everyone, Venus would have a better forehand.

Roookie
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Yes it is.

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 6th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Honestly this is silly. After four years, Ana gets to a quarterfinal. But we are to believe she has the best forehand on the WTA. No she does not. She has a decent forehand, but it like her overall game is too inconsistent.

Who cares what the mentally challenged Petrova thinks.

BlueTrees
Sep 6th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Serena, Pierce and Clijsters all have/had better forehands, just to mention a few. Just because Ivanovic's backhand is utter crap her forehand is made to seem a lot better than it really is. :shrug:

Rome
Sep 6th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I think it;s up there, when it comes to power i would say yes, but when it comes to overall, i think her Serena match showed that she is still below Serena in that Department, Though it is getting better as she is not going for the lines and have more percentage with her forehand.

I agree with this she hits her forhand harder then most men when she wants too unload. However when you hit down the middle to her forhand she tends to spray the ball long but inside out forhands (when she has time)is the best and her cross court forhand (but if you hit very hard to it she can spray) is really great.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 6th, 2012, 06:20 PM
... :facepalm:

laurie
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:09 PM
To be the best at something you have to be consistent. Ivanovic's forehand is too hit and miss, unless the standards are that low at present.

edificio
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:11 PM
If the measure is, once-in-a-while-her-forehand-is-killer, then yes best since Steffi except for all those other players who have that same forehand once in a while.

laurie
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:16 PM
I agree with this she hits her forhand harder then most men when she wants too unload. However when you hit down the middle to her forhand she tends to spray the ball long but inside out forhands (when she has time)is the best and her cross court forhand (but if you hit very hard to it she can spray) is really great.

Last week, Chanda Rubin (ex American pro) was providing commentary for a match between Kvitova and Hercog. Her co-comentator (forget the name) were discussing the balls the women were using at the US Open, Chanda said the men are provided with heavy duty and the women with a lighter ball. Chanda said she actually preferred the heavier ball the men are provided with. I would be interested to know if this is only done at the US Open or at all of the major tournaments.

Sure Ivanovic's forehand looks fast but I would find it very hard to believe that Ivanovic can hit her forehand harder than any solid male player. In fact, it just wont be the case.

Viktymise
Sep 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM

Just because Ivanovic's backhand is utter crap her forehand is made to seem a lot better than it really is. :shrug:

Amen, and amen.

The minute she has some BS run half-deep into a slam and wins a few more games against Serena than Andrea Hlavackova did, threads like this start popping up trying to make VIP relevant again. Not going to happen.

ranfurly
Sep 6th, 2012, 11:23 PM
In rawness, it's up there,

though it's not like we get to see it that often do we?

TheLegendof
Sep 6th, 2012, 11:32 PM
No. No, no, no, no, no, no. No.

Navratil
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:00 AM

Oh, come on! There's no doubt - she's top 5 when it comes to forehand.

Serena, Sharapova and Stosur might be on the same level. But who else??? :confused:

Navratil
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Last week, Chanda Rubin (ex American pro) was providing commentary for a match between Kvitova and Hercog. Her co-comentator (forget the name) were discussing the balls the women were using at the US Open, Chanda said the men are provided with heavy duty and the women with a lighter ball. Chanda said she actually preferred the heavier ball the men are provided with. I would be interested to know if this is only done at the US Open or at all of the major tournaments.

Sure Ivanovic's forehand looks fast but I would find it very hard to believe that Ivanovic can hit her forehand harder than any solid male player. In fact, it just wont be the case.

Chanda actually had a fantastic forehand. She was top 5 with that shot mid nineties.

btw: Kvitova would be the other top 5 forehand.

Consider Clijsters as retired ;)

thegreendestiny
Sep 7th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Again with the Ana FH hype. Ana's "Graf" FH couldn't save her career. Her lone slam was a gift from Henin. :shrug:

JRena
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:12 AM
This is like saying JJ's backhand down the line is one of the best...on a good day. :confused:

Harry.
Sep 7th, 2012, 09:13 AM
To be honest, when she was at her peak, her forehand was the best on tour. Of course it's is prone to inconsistencies. I don't know how you can call any shot the best on tour because there is so much to pick from. But when she was in her stride from 07-08, her forehand was monstrous. When she's playing well, she takes it so early and spreads the court so well. It's hard to read where she's going with it. And also because she relies on it so much.

I don't know if you can call it the best on tour, but definitely one of the best for sure.

siempreneltenis
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:05 AM
http://i49.tinypic.com/2gvlou9.jpg

Setsuna.
Sep 7th, 2012, 10:11 AM
No.

Navratil
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Maybe her forehand is not as effective (cause of a lack of variaty) and consistent as Williams forehand but her when her forehand is on it looks so spectecular and she's hitting this sensational winners from all over the court.

pierce85
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Maybe her forehand is not as effective (cause of a lack of variaty) and consistent as Williams forehand but her when her forehand is on it looks so spectecular and she's hitting this sensational winners from all over the court.

Mary Pierce's forehand was much more spectacular and had more power and depth :)

Navratil
Sep 7th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Mary Pierce's forehand was much more spectacular and had more power and depth :)

Oh, yes! Pierce was sensationel at her best!

Marcus1979
Sep 7th, 2012, 01:06 PM
correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Capriati and Davenport have good forehands?

The Dawntreader
Sep 7th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Ana never had the best anything. And she still doesn't. And never will.

SerenaSlam
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Steffis forehand was more than just a damn forehand. Her entire game is what made her forehand so good. Ana doesn't get to have a forehand unless these bigger players allow for her to have one. It's not consistent. Serena sharapova even Lisiki can do what Ana Does and have that same forehand. But their game is much more than a discussion of one shot. Which to compare her to Steffi is an insult to the great. IMO

tennisbum79
Sep 7th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Ana never had the best anything. And she still doesn't. And never will.
Come on now! That was unncessarily harsh