PDA

View Full Version : Why "Cake" for Bartoli?

tkutsaar
Sep 5th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Ever since I joined the board some two years ago I became aware that “cake” is the nickname for Marion Bartoli that is accepted by most posters herein. It seems to be pejorative as well and perhaps that might explain that I’ve never ever heard a broadcast commentator use this moniker for Marion. However, I’ve never seen any poster explain the origin or why this has become her reference. So I just opened this thread in hopes of soliciting an explanation.

eyecandy
Sep 5th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Marion stated in a interview some years back (she was little more chunky) that she has a sweet tooth and "cake" is her favorite dessert. I like Marion and will be rooting for her tomorrow.

NashaP
Sep 5th, 2012, 05:59 AM
"Cake" should be a nickname reserved only for Serena now :oh:

Mana
Sep 5th, 2012, 07:35 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03J91o50hMgpf/340x.jpg

Due to this famous picture, that did the rounds a few years ago now.

Maddox
Sep 5th, 2012, 08:06 AM
:facepalm: this thread, I swear

Lord Choc Ice
Sep 5th, 2012, 08:24 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03J91o50hMgpf/340x.jpg

Due to this famous picture, that did the rounds a few years ago now.
In general she seems to love stuffing her face.

http://www.womenstennisblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/sushi-2-2823080_5c46ae4dab_m.jpg

Plus late last year:

Bartoli was then asked what she enjoys about playing in Moscow. "I love the Russian food. I think especially your pancakes... I had some in the morning, I had some at lunch, I had some at tea time and some at dinner!" she said. "I came here for the first time in 2004 for the Fed Cup final. I love everything here. I love the snow, it's beautiful. I love the food. And I'm trying to read the language too. It's great to discover new places and I'm really enjoying my time so far."

Juju Nostalgique
Sep 5th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Phat? :oh:

Cosmic Voices
Sep 5th, 2012, 08:55 AM
My friend actually watched one of Marion's matches court side and said she wasn't even fat (to what she'd seen on screen :oh:)
I think as anonymous tennis commentators were just quick to judge

laurie
Sep 5th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Ever since I joined the board some two years ago I became aware that “cake” is the nickname for Marion Bartoli that is accepted by most posters herein. It seems to be pejorative as well and perhaps that might explain that I’ve never ever heard a broadcast commentator use this moniker for Marion. However, I’ve never seen any poster explain the origin or why this has become her reference. So I just opened this thread in hopes of soliciting an explanation.

Most posters?? I don't think so, most are not disrespectful to post comments like that.

By the way, Marion always looks in great condition over the last few years.

Calypso
Sep 5th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Phat? :oh:

:oh:
Marion:hearts:

JN
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:02 PM

Why? If you can form a coherent answer, that is.

thegreendestiny
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:12 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg821/scaled.php?server=821&filename=birthday03.jpg&res=landing

Leave her alone

pov
Sep 5th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Most posters?? I don't think so, most are not disrespectful to post comments like that.

You're both correct. You because yeah most do have respect for the players and don't post that crap. The OP because yeah most do accept the many disparaging nicknames and comments that are posted on here.

King Halep
Sep 5th, 2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.sinaimg.cn/dy/slidenews/2_img/2011_39/794_514052_429517.jpg

Salve
Sep 5th, 2012, 05:14 PM

I think bagel is more fitting :oh:

Mary Cherry.
Sep 5th, 2012, 05:30 PM
My friend actually watched one of Marion's matches court side and said she wasn't even fat (to what she'd seen on screen :oh:)
I think as anonymous tennis commentators were just quick to judge

I wouldn't say she's fat either. The same way Petra isn't really a paedophile.

Here at TF we just like to take a joke and run with it :oh:

King Halep
Sep 5th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Its relative. She might not be fat compared to the average person, but put her next to some tennis players and she looks relatively larger. It does not help that she has said she prefers to eat what she likes so its impossible to know whether she follows a sports diet like other players.

Infiniti2001
Sep 5th, 2012, 05:35 PM
I never got the cake reference either, considering I've seen her up close and personal... Anyway Allez Marion :hysterical:

n1ko0
Sep 5th, 2012, 05:59 PM

:spit:

Direwolf
Sep 5th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Player Forum.

King Halep
Sep 5th, 2012, 07:12 PM

By the way, Marion always looks in great condition over the last few years.

People always say this but she cant play two three setters in a row without running out of energy, and she actually had an extra day rest because of the rain.

Archer16
Sep 5th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I've always found this nickname childish, stupid, derogatory and not the least bit funny, and I'm not even a fan.
And these pictures as "proof" :facepalm:
You could find similar from most players' birthdays :rolleyes:
People always say this but she cant play two three setters in a row without running out of energy, and she actually had an extra day rest because of the rain.
She won three 3-setters in a row last month, 3 in a row at RG last year, then 2 straight ones at Wimbly, and to top it all 3 consecutive ones - all from a set down - at the tournament of her life.
Not saying all of the recent ones were against top notch competition, but it's pretty clear that theory of her stamina doesn't hold water, and her 3 set win ratio is more than respectable.

blongislong
Sep 16th, 2012, 04:22 PM

Serena's nicname should be The Baker for all the breadsticks and bagels she gives out.

Chip.
Sep 16th, 2012, 04:34 PM

:crying2:

Sammo
Sep 16th, 2012, 04:36 PM

Exactly, Petra is just an ephebophile and Marion is just chubby :oh:

hurricanejeanne
Sep 16th, 2012, 04:46 PM

Exactly. Once a nickname or "in joke" sticks, it sticks forever around these parts.

CatTs
Sep 16th, 2012, 06:12 PM
I think this nickname is cute. Even my Mom knows her as Cake :oh:. She's a unique player and personality and deserves to get a distinctive nickname :p.

Marcoo
Sep 16th, 2012, 06:16 PM
haha Cake, she definitely likes cakes, and it's nice she has a nickname no matter what it is ;)

Halepsova
Sep 16th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Cake should be nicknamed after Sharapova in every grand slams.

matty
Sep 16th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Marion stated in a interview some years back (she was little more chunky) that she has a sweet tooth and "cake" is her favorite dessert. I like Marion and will be rooting for her tomorrow.

Also, she has said that her father/coach use to bribe her with sweets/candy to get her to play when she was a little kid

DMD
Jul 6th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Was there a Wimbledon cake for Marion today?? :eek:

DMD©