PDA

View Full Version : JMAC Pushing The Envelope Over The Edge: Players Making Their Own Line Calls

tennisbum79
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:53 PM
... proposing penalty if they miss the call after review

He did not provide detail on how it would actually work.

tennisbum79
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:57 PM
He is on a roll now.

Adding no-warm-ups, just like boxers

duhcity
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I think it's quite clear - players make the calls, and their opponent or the chair can challenge them, would make for some tasty drama, but would really lead to too many mistakes.

I am a fan of playing let serves though.

ToopsTame
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Players often call their own lines at amateur events. But on the SEWTA it would just turn into a mess.

ShiftyFella
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:59 PM
then nobody would want to play against Cake:haha:

JeMa
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:59 PM
That's a terrible idea. Especially for singles, how can you focus on the ball and call your own lines. That's called being fucking cheap.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Sep 4th, 2012, 11:00 PM
tennisbum79, they're just talking to pass the time. Randomnly throwing ideas out there.
Don't take it seriously

tennisbum79
Sep 4th, 2012, 11:02 PM
tennisbum79, they're just talking to pass the time. Randomnly throwing ideas out there.
Don't take it seriously
That is how JMac usually brings up ideas.

He has never been real serious

Sean.
Sep 4th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Anyone who's played tennis themselves can tell you how hard calling your own lines can be, and how open to cheating it is!

Can you imagine a Rodionova/Huber confrontation?

... Oh wait! On second thoughts that would be EPIC! :drool:

n1_and_uh_noone
Sep 4th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Love it. Tennis players today are such an entitled bunch, abusing officials, flouting rules. Would be so much drama!

tennisbum79
Sep 4th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Anyone who's played tennis themselves can tell you how hard calling your own lines can be, and how open to cheating it is!

Can you imagine a Rodionova/Huber confrontation?

... Oh wait! On second thoughts that would be EPIC! :drool:
Jen Cap would come out of retirement to cut herself a slack for all the calls that went against her over the years:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:That is how Capriati reacted when asked about the bad calls that went against Serena and benefited her in their 2004 USO :lol::lol::lol:

mauresmofan
Sep 5th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Oh God John McEnroe and his non stop ranting. I've realised over time that the best commentators are those that don't feel like they have to fill the void of every silence. Davenport, Jo Durie and Sam Smith are really good at giving insight in small doses whereas John McEnroe, Chris Evert, Chanda Rubin and Chris Bradnam haven't a clue when to shut up and don't seem to remember the history of the players they're ranting on about often getting their facts wrong.

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 5th, 2012, 12:31 AM
I'm against the idea. Some players would definitely cheat and feel entitled to it. What I am for is the umpire instructing the players at the beginning that if she/he (the umpire) sees a shot is out, then it will be called. But the players should NOT ask me the umpire if its out or in. Challenge the call or continue play.

I am all for playing a let call.

JMac would have been one of the biggest cheaters with his loud mouth.

KournikovaFan91
Sep 5th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't have major issues with how the game is constructed.

Like I heard Navratilova a few years back suggests they play let serves, not allow players catch the ball on a toss (Ivanovic's career would be over in that case) and other such shit in order to make the game better for fans.

Since when have fans been complaining about how the game is constructed :shrug:

No warm ups :rolleyes: Yeah cause the warm-up is really ruining the players enjoyment of the game. I mean do these people think before speaking.

perseus2006
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:19 AM
... proposing penalty if they miss the call after review

He did not provide detail on how it would actually work.

Brilliant idea! I mean, the experience with Hawk Eye clearly shows the players rarely are mistaken on line calls...

Jane Lane
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:26 AM
:hysteric: The best bit was the "What do we need umpires for?"

tennisbum79
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:50 AM
:hysteric: The best bit was the "What do we need umpires for?"
To him, the umpires role will be reduced to that of a care taker, administrator of the hawkeye.
Giving the post-challenge verdict and dispensing the penalty.

Lord Choc Ice
Sep 5th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Am I the only one who doesn't have major issues with how the game is constructed.

Like I heard Navratilova a few years back suggests they play let serves, not allow players catch the ball on a toss (Ivanovic's career would be over in that case) and other such shit in order to make the game better for fans.

Since when have fans been complaining about how the game is constructed :shrug:

No warm ups :rolleyes: Yeah cause the warm-up is really ruining the players enjoyment of the game. I mean do these people think before speaking.

I don't think they should do that. But maybe if a second serve clips the net and goes out, it shouldn't be a double fault.

As for catching tosses, no way! Not only for Ana but for me. I do that a fair bit as well :lol:.