PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 players on tour with the best net play

nazzac
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I saw Kanda's thread with the top 5 FH and BH, so i thought i'd make one about net play. Who are the Top 5 players on tour with the best net play? Doesn't have to be in any particular order

Marionated
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:29 PM
In no particular order, I would say

Vinci
Kirilenko
Martinez Sanchez
Radwanska
Schiavone

FORZA SARITA
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Vinci-Errani-Shvedova

NashaMasha
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Errani
Vinci
Kirilenko
Shvedova
Radwanska

danieln1
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Vinci
Radwanska
Venus
Kvitova
Schiavone

Scola
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Not sure if they're best, but I would say Martic, Kirilenko and Rybarikova. They have really great touch at the net. From current Top 10 players Radwanska and Stosur.

young_gunner913
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Queen Bethanie.

Her net play can be down right ridiculous at times.

FORZA SARITA
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:39 PM
Stosur is so overrated :tape: she has such a terrible net play.

ranfurly
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Gagliardi
Fendick
Schnyder
Hingis
Betty Stove

Joe.
Sep 4th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Venus, Kiri, Vinci, Kvitova, MJMS

goldenlox
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Right now or career?
Venus in her career, not as good now
Petrova has tremendous touch. Doesnt know how to get to net in singles
Azarenka is very good at net. I've seen a ton of her doubles with Chakvetadze & Kuznetsova & Kirilenko

Marcoo
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Errani, Vindi, Radwanska, Venus, and... I don't know, Stosur ? :)

LoveFifteen
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Are we talking singles players only? If not, then Lisa Raymond should be there.

AcesHigh
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:12 PM
These lists just show how bad the women's game has gotten at net.

Radwanksa? Venus?

tennisfan5
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Vinci is incredible based on what I've seen from her this Open

nazzac
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:15 PM
Vinci
Shvedova
Kirilenko
Errani

I don't know who to put as a 5th

smarties
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:16 PM

Does she ever come to the net anymore :confused:

ShiftyFella
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Kvitty
Kvitty
Kvitty
Kvitty
Vinci

LegionArgentina
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Vinci-Errani-Shvedova-Dulko-King-Pennetta. without a doubt.

Scola
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:39 PM

You named Errani. :lol:

FORZA SARITA
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM
You named Errani. :lol:

and so?:confused: you're talking of player #1 in doubles :wavey:

flareon
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I would say Vinci, Venus, MJMS, Kirilenko and Petrova is very solid at the net as well.

Patrick345
Sep 4th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Venus is the best. Its not even close. Her reach, positioning and wrist strength are just in a class of their own. Thereafter it becomes a question of definition. Players like Serena, Azarenka and Sharapova for example mostly come to the net to finish off points, which usually means easy drive volleys or easy regular volleys. So are they good at the net, because they know when to approach behind a heavy shot. Kvitova has very good volleys off both sides. Radwanska, Vinci and Kirilenko have great volleying skills, but are prone to get passed, because they are shorter and have less wrist strength than a Venus. Schiavone and Zvonareva Id say are also among the smartest approachers and solid finishers at the net. Then there are the real horrible ones like JJ or Wozniacki, who just have no touch. JJs forehand volley is probably the worst shot in the top 50. Id rather put my life on a Stosur cc backhand winner than a JJ forehand volley winner. :help:

A Magicman
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez

RobinT83
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM
1) Sharapova
2) Wozniacki
3) Gajdosova
4) Jankovic
5) Keothavong

timafi
Sep 4th, 2012, 10:40 PM
Schiavone
Errani
Vinci
Radwanska
Sanchez

Venus

Sveta

Sean.
Sep 4th, 2012, 11:57 PM

This! x 1000 :tape:

galit
Sep 5th, 2012, 03:12 AM
Vinci
Kvitova (if she ever feels like coming to net)
Shvedova
Raymond
Radwanska

Chakvenus
Sep 5th, 2012, 03:23 AM
Su-wei :hearts:

Also, Venus, Kirilenko, MJMS, Vinci, etc...

dencod16
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Kirilenko
Venus (if she can back to what it was)
Petrova
Radwanska

dencod16
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:14 PM
1) Sharapova
2) Wozniacki
3) Gajdosova
4) Jankovic
5) Keothavong

LOl like bottom of the pit.

dencod16
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM
and so?:confused: you're talking of player #1 in doubles :wavey:

And so was Stosur.:confused:

DefyingGravity
Sep 5th, 2012, 01:30 PM
1. Vinci
2. Errani
3. Venus
4. Radwanska
5. Kirilenko/Azarenka

TPlaya8
Sep 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Surprised about so few posts including Venus. Even with her atuo immune disease no one comes in on attack mode like Venus. All does legs and long arms. And it is still exciting.

Granted she does not posess the same speed, quickness, and reflexes she did before her disease but she is still darn good.

Maria4Ever
Sep 5th, 2012, 04:24 PM
1. Kirilenko
2. Venus
3. Vinci
4. Serena (incredibly underrated as a net player)
5. Radwanska

Excelscior
Sep 5th, 2012, 05:17 PM
There are so many. How can anyone come up with a definitive list. But I will try (but its' certainly not definitive). I know I'm leaving out a couple of junkballers. :lol:

Note, I'm only including players in their singles matches.

I'm not including doubles play, or good doubles players who rarely come to the net (or show good net play when they do) during singles matches. Stosur and Azarenka would fall in that category.

I wouldn't include Aga, cause she seems to volley when she has to (though she has the skills), but doesn't have the protracted aggression or full net coverage during some matches, even when she does.

My list (in no particular order) would be:

Vinci
Schiavone
Martic
Shvedova (when she does she's committed)
Zvonareva (at least she used to before hurt)

The above players have both the touch, commitment/aggressiveness and execution when they go to the net. Martic, Shvedova and Zvonareva are more in and out when they do it, compared to Vinci and Schiavone (who always seem ready/prepared any match). This may also depend on match ups and game flow of course. The others can also be a bit more aggressive than Vera.

Kvitty is the best of the current Big Hitters (not including Venus Patrick 345, cause Venus hasn't been volleying much lately, except for that Kerber match). Plus, I feel Petra has better overall touch; though I do like Venus's aggression toward the net, when she does vs Petra.

Kvitova has excellent touch around the net and mid court. But she's not always committed to going to the net (unless there's a short ball) some matches. Many times, when she does, she doesn't close the space fast enough (though she'll still make the volley). However, when she misses one, it's usually cause she wasn't committed from the start.

Nonetheless, she has excellent reach and touch on volleys, half volleys, short hops in front of and around the net. And when she's committed, she'll move in on every deep ball, stretch by the defender, lob and short ball. It's something she should incorporate even more often in her matches.