PDA

View Full Version : Obnoxiousness as a tennis strategy

mac47
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:13 AM
Imagine, if you will, someone who plays tennis TO the crowd. Someone who goes all Jimmy Connors after every great point. Who taunts the opponent after winners. Who doesn't give a fig about getting along or being liked by the other players. Who takes a bow after touch shots. Someone who behaves like a combination of Mansour Bahrami, McEnroe, Connors, Gilbert, Robin Soderling and Yulia Putintseva.

I'm imagining the sort of person who would kick over Nadal's water bottles; who would imitate Nadal's butt-picking; who would imitate Pova's and Azarenka's shreiking to their faces; who would imitate Pova's stutter-step and fist-pump, or Petra's dog-yip; who would shush a hostile crowd like Berdych did once after beating Nadal, or tell the hecklers "Allez up your effing ass" like Pova once did; who would stand at the service line to receive, like Aga once did to Pova; who would bump into the opponent like Spirlea did to Venus, or Nadal did to Rosol this year at Wimbledon. Or who would say something during the changeover just to wind the opponent up.

And I don't mean someone who does these things only after mighty provocation. I mean someone who comes out intending to do these things, looking for an opportunity to mess with the opponent's concentration and temper. Someone who would break out Serena's crip walk not only after winning a tournament, but after hitting a winner. Someone who would make each match a crazy circus that would drive the opponent nuts and entertain the crowd royally.

Wouldn't it be great?

Why isn't there some great heel to make tennis entertaining? I don't care if it's on the ATP or WTA. I think it would work wonders, be incredibly entertaining, and have great results. It should preferably be someone who has great touch and a top 10 game.

Charlatan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:21 AM
May be you could add 'barking like an obnoxious fucking dog' in your list as well :hearts:

Simugna Help
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:22 AM
Well it certainly worked tonight.
But it's not entertaining, it distracts the opponent and the audience and leads to lower quality of tennis.

Tennis Fool
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:22 AM
Is this a joke thread? :unsure:

In The Zone
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:23 AM
After the rain delay, I'm almost positive that was one of the strategies employed by the Sharapova camp and rightfully so. It made Nadia get nervous and initimidated.

Setsuna.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:23 AM
mac47 :hearts:

JeMa
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:26 AM
Imagine, if you will, someone who plays tennis TO the crowd. Someone who goes all Jimmy Connors after every great point. Who taunts the opponent after winners. Who doesn't give a fig about getting along or being liked by the other players. Who takes a bow after touch shots. Someone who behaves like a combination of Mansour Bahrami, McEnroe, Connors, Gilbert, Robin Soderling and Yulia Putintseva.

I'm imagining the sort of person who would kick over Nadal's water bottles; who would imitate Nadal's butt-picking; who would imitate Pova's and Azarenka's shreiking to their faces; who would imitate Pova's stutter-step and fist-pump, or Petra's dog-yip; who would shush a hostile crowd like Berdych did once after beating Nadal, or tell the hecklers "Allez up your effing ass" like Pova once did; who would stand at the service line to receive, like Aga once did to Pova; who would bump into the opponent like Spirlea did to Venus, or Nadal did to Rosol this year at Wimbledon. Or who would say something during the changeover just to wind the opponent up.

And I don't mean someone who does these things only after mighty provocation. I mean someone who comes out intending to do these things, looking for an opportunity to mess with the opponent's concentration and temper. Someone who would break out Serena's crip walk not only after winning a tournament, but after hitting a winner. Someone who would make each match a crazy circus that would drive the opponent nuts and entertain the crowd royally.

Wouldn't it be great?

Why isn't there some great heel to make tennis entertaining? I don't care if it's on the ATP or WTA. I think it would work wonders, be incredibly entertaining, and have great results. It should preferably be someone who has great touch and a top 10 game.

Could you try this in your league or club matches and let us know how it goes. :D

Hiko
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:29 AM
After the rain delay, I'm almost positive that was one of the strategies employed by the Sharapova camp and rightfully so. It made Nadia get nervous and initimidated.

And there I thought that was Nadia's brain that got her nervous and intimidated.

Because we certainly know that only some kind of nefarious activity would make HER choke.

b2b
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:31 AM
:facepalm: you can't be serious about this. intentionally? going nowhere. if oppo knows your intention, he could file a complaint or choose to ignore, you either get warning or spend your mind on how to irate him futher more, you lose your concentration on the game first, then your oppo get the upper hand.

Even though Pova wass annoying today, you might as well stay cool-minded. Angry lower one's IQ

mac47
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:31 AM
Could you try this in your league or club matches and let us know how it goes. :D

If you had ever seen me play at my club, you would not have bothered to suggest this. I fistpump after netcords. :devil:

mac47
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:32 AM
:facepalm: you can't be serious about this. intentionally? going nowhere. if oppo knows your intention, she could file a complaint or choose to igore, you either get warning or spend your mind on how to irate him futhert more, you lose your concentration on the game first, then your oppo get the upper hand.

Even though Pova wass annoying today, you might as well stay cool-minded. Angry lower one's IQ

Nah, it's not about Pova. She didn't do anything deliberate tonight.

In The Zone
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:32 AM
And there I thought that was Nadia's brain that got her nervous and intimidated.

Because we certainly know that only some kind of nefarious activity would make HER choke.

Of course and it urged it on more. It was the right play.

mac47
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:33 AM
May be you could add 'barking like an obnoxious fucking dog' in your list as well :hearts:

Yes, by all means.

Oh, and change one's "come on!" to "pome", "allez," "vamos," or "pojd" depending on the language of the opponent.

mac47
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:40 AM
:facepalm: you can't be serious about this. intentionally? going nowhere.

There are some players who really feed on energy from the crowd, and it is in their interest to work the crowd and get them excited by being extra-demonstrative or even engaging in dialogue with the crowd. For such players, a small investment in crowd interaction would pay dividends in the match.

cowsonice
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:08 AM
Yulia Putintseva doesn't employ obnoxiousness as a strategy. That's just how she is.

Other than that,
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9mhik8QJF1rtjju7o5_250.gif

Serenita
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:24 AM
If you had ever seen me play at my club, you would not have bothered to suggest this. I fistpump after netcords. :devil:
That i need to see:lol:

moby
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:30 AM
Someone who had the personality to pull that off would probably also lack the personality to be disciplined enough to practice and learn tennis at a high enough level to have the opportunity to display said strategy.

NashaMasha
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:41 AM
This thread is

http://i49.tinypic.com/os7sjc.gif

bobbynorwich
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:52 AM

Wouldn't it be great?

Whoa, you need to commit yourself immediately to the nearest psychiatric unit lest there's another mass murdering. Get help now!

Seriously. :rolleyes:

perseus2006
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:21 AM
Even more grandstanding for attention, eh, mac47?

Potato
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:25 AM
go to a 14 and unders tournament

NashaMasha
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:33 AM
mac47 has nothing to do now as his/her fave ate a tasty bagel and escaped from becoming total Pova's punchbag tanking to Bartoli. Therefor he/she is writing these retarded post in this delusional thread

Stay pressed

metamorpha
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:40 AM
It's well known already. Even Federer was astonished by those over-the-top intensity from some of WTA players.

King Halep
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
Spirlea did nothing of the sort. Dont make things up

bobito
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM

Wouldn't it be great?

I think you've named the very player. Connors' finest/foulest moment was surely shoving a racquet between his legs and jerking off on the handle while eyeballing the opponent. He was undoubtedly a thoroughly foul individual but I can't help having a grudging admiration for his ability to get away with some of the crap that he did and even make the opponent look like the bad guy when they lost their rag because of his antics. Appalling tactics but executed to perfection.

stromatolite
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM
I don't think tennis players should be expected to be saints, but tennis came back from the bad old years of Connors/McEnroe and is the better for it. Feistiness can be entertaining, but true obnoxiousness is just :facepalm:

Gilas.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:33 AM
No, I couldn't imagine someone doing a dance or whatever antics in-between points. There's already so much lenience given to delaying the game it's ridiculous :o Although yes it can be entertaining especially between top players.

Lord Choc Ice
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:34 AM
Classic moment :drool:.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6rxt0kIpe1rvr01vo1_250.gif

Raiden
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:12 AM

Wouldn't it be great?

Why isn't there some great heel to make tennis entertaining? I don't care if it's on the ATP or WTA. I think it would work wonders, be incredibly entertaining, and have great results. It should preferably be someone who has great touch and a top 10 game.Not sure wuy you're lumping unrelated stuff together. Imitating opponent's obnoxious antics (like what Soderling did to Nadal) is nothing bad, certainly not compared to physcial violence (bumping, kicking waterbottles... etc).

Classic moment :drool:.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6rxt0kIpe1rvr01vo1_250.gifThat was wonderfully hilarious (not obnoxious at all, as the OP claims).

The center court crowd was enjoying every minute of it.

StoneRose
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
I'm imagining the sort of person who would kick over Nadal's water bottles; who would imitate Nadal's butt-picking

Wouldn't it be great?
:lol: Mac. Let's start here and take it from there.

Shivank17
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM

:hearts:

ACEof DIAMONDS
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:42 AM
No, I couldn't imagine someone doing a dance or whatever antics in-between points. There's already so much lenience given to delaying the game it's ridiculous :o Although yes it can be entertaining especially between top players.

How does a fist pump delay the game? I'll wait...

Nadal is the only clear abuser of the rules and the officials are too intimidated to say anything.

LUVMIRZA
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Obnoxious as a tennisforum strategy sounds goood:lick:

ACEof DIAMONDS
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
I don't think tennis players should be expected to be saints, but tennis came back from the bad old years of Connors/McEnroe and is the better for it. Feistiness can be entertaining, but true obnoxiousness is just :facepalm:

The "bad" years of Connors and McEnroe? Please go find some pine. They helped build tennis into what it is doll baby. But go ahead eliminate any personality from tennis like you desire and see how quick the sport ceases to exist.

stromatolite
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
The "bad" years of Connors and McEnroe? Please go find some pine. They helped build tennis into what it is doll baby. But go ahead eliminate any personality from tennis like you desire and see how quick the sport ceases to exist.

Did I say anything about eliminating personality? Acting like a spoilt 13-year old your whole life doesn't equate to personality. Anything those guys contributed to building tennis was based on their level of play, which I'm more than happy to concede was very high. But Federer exhibits more personality just walking onto court than Connors and McEnroe ever did.

Kipling
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:23 AM
Did I say anything about eliminating personality? Acting like a spoilt 13-year old your whole life doesn't equate to personality. Anything those guys contributed to building tennis was based on their level of play, which I'm more than happy to concede was very high. But Federer exhibits more personality just walking onto court than Connors and McEnroe ever did.

There's a difference between 'class' and 'personality'. Tennis likely would not have survived as a major sport were it not for polarizing figures like Connors, McEnroe, Nastase, Gerulaitis, who contrasted with the "Federers" of their time--i.e., gentleman players like Borg and Ashe. While tennis has become a very international sport, in the 1970's, like it or not, tennis had to have America and all of its brashness to survive--from a proliferation of hardcourt tennis to loudmouth players. I don't think anybody would seriously argue that they'd want their kids to adopt Connors or McEnroe as role models, but it is undeniably true that tennis moved forward as a major sport and became as universally popular as it is today largely because of them.

That said, I don't think anyone needs to go out and purposely adopt a copycat persona just for the sake of entertaining the crowd, or trying to draw audiences to tennis. That's tom foolery. With Nastase, Connors and McEnroe, it was innate, part of their characters, and what ultimately drove them as players and complicated personalities. If someone came along like that--i.e., Safin was pretty close--that's fine. But I don't think tennis needs to be actively recruiting *ssholes just for the sake of bringing people through the gate.

stromatolite
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
There's a difference between 'class' and 'personality'. Tennis likely would not have survived as a major sport were it not for polarizing figures like Connors, McEnroe, Nastase, Gerulaitis, who contrasted with the "Federers" of their time--i.e., gentleman players like Borg and Ashe. While tennis has become a very international sport, in the 1970's, like it or not, tennis had to have America and all of its brashness to survive--from a proliferation of hardcourt tennis to loudmouth players. I don't think anybody would seriously argue that they'd want their kids to adopt Connors or McEnroe as role models, but it is undeniably true that tennis moved forward as a major sport and became as universally popular as it is today largely because of them.

Like I said in my first post on the thread I don't expect tennis players to be angels. A bit of cut and thrust is good for any sport. I wouldn't even dispute your claim that the bad-boy antics of Connors and McEnroe contributed to the popularity of the sport in the short term. What I do claim is that it's not in tennis' interests to continue down that road, and I think most subsequent players and officials have realized that.

Like all sports tennis needs to find its niche to flourish in the long term. There are plenty of sports in which brash and obnoxious behaviour is the norm, and is appreciated by the core fans of those sports. If tennis goes down that road it will compete, likely with limited success, for the favours of such fans, but at the cost of alienating the more civilized folks that have always constituted the core fanbase of the sport.

tkutsaar
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:47 PM
I have not noticed any truly obnoxious player as imagined in the OP, but there certainly have been a plethora of players that resort to euphemistically “gamesmanship” to try to disrupt and annoy opponents. The worst offender of this that comes to my mind was Pam Shriver and she was unapologetic for her antics. As a commentator nowadays she does not hesitate to suggest that a player losing ought to try some “gamesmanship” to try to upset the winning player’s edge. Such strategy might prove to provide fruitful results but it seems to me a player would be better served to try and concentrate playing better rather than thinking of ways to distract her opponent mentally to get her off her game.

Perhaps Pam’s predilection for thinking of ways to best her opponents mentally as opposed to concentrating on winning in more traditional ways might explain her career. As a sixteen year old and presumably a novice at trying to win tennis matches surreptitiously, she reached the USO finals beating Navratilova in the semis and being very competitive against Evert in the finals. Despite such a promising start in her career she never managed to get into another slams finals.

Jose.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:06 PM
IMO, if you wanna win then you do everything you can do and its allowed to win, mental tactics are allowed so I don't disrespect anybody that uses them, it's part of the game and adds drama to the match, anybody can use them, if they don't do it's because they don't want to do it. :shrug:

We would have many different results in sports if it was only about talent and mental strategies wouldn't be a part of it... We are not robots so we have emotions...

bandabou
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
But this thread is made for whom specifically?!

Larrybidd
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Is this a joke thread? :unsure:

It's a joke alright.

This is a game, not a funeral. It's supposed to be exciting. The more excited the players get, the more fans can get excited for them. Nowhere more than in New York.

Larrybidd
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Like all sports tennis needs to find its niche to flourish in the long term. There are plenty of sports in which brash and obnoxious behaviour is the norm, and is appreciated by the core fans of those sports. If tennis goes down that road it will compete, likely with limited success, for the favours of such fans, but at the cost of alienating the more civilized folks that have always constituted the core fanbase of the sport.

Boy, that would be fine with me. I've been a fan of tennis for a lot of years and have been frustrated with how out of step SOME tennis fans are with the rest of the sport watching public. This is a sporting even, not a piano recital. Most sports fans love to see players excited about what they do, because we would love to be down there with them..being excited. If a player being excited with how they are a playing is a "hindrance" to an opponent. I want to root against that opponent. Who wants to watch robots play?

hobahobaspirit
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
I think you've named the very player. Connors' finest/foulest moment was surely shoving a racquet between his legs and jerking off on the handle while eyeballing the opponent. He was undoubtedly a thoroughly foul individual but I can't help having a grudging admiration for his ability to get away with some of the crap that he did and even make the opponent look like the bad guy when they lost their rag because of his antics. Appalling tactics but executed to perfection.

:hysteric: I must see that :hysteric:

Fuzzylogic
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
Well you can certainly tell the players the OP is obsessed with disliking by the people he repeatedly mentions in the first post.

The thing is, unless the proposed obnoxious player was really good like Soderling in that match, which he ended up losing anyways:rolleyes:, most of the players will remain unbothered and theur antics will be merely for entertain rather than match winning tactics. So he/she wouldn't make friends, neither would he be a winner. Sucks for him/her.

Cosmic Voices
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Surely Hingis was a pro at this?

mac47
Sep 4th, 2012, 02:48 AM
Well you can certainly tell the players the OP is obsessed with disliking by the people he repeatedly mentions in the first post.

The thing is, unless the proposed obnoxious player was really good like Soderling in that match, which he ended up losing anyways:rolleyes:, most of the players will remain unbothered and theur antics will be merely for entertain rather than match winning tactics. So he/she wouldn't make friends, neither would he be a winner. Sucks for him/her.

Pova is on record saying that she isn't out to make friends on the tour. I hate her, but she uses the crowd really well, and she is great at whipping herself up with self motivational yelling and fist pumping.

Incidentally, the OP wasn't about hating on anybody. Yes, I hate Pova and Nadal, but I actually like Soderling, Berdych, and Johnny Mac, as well as most of the other players I mentioned.

It's not just about messing with your opponent's head. It's also about engaging with the crowd, involving them in the match so that they track with your emotions, and ultimately give you a little extra boost or energy. Some extroverted players would benefit from that.

Don't get me wrong: I admire the gentlemanly behavior and good sportsmanship shown by our modern greats on the ATP.