Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:46 AM
Yassssssssssssssss!!!!!!111111111111111111111111 :sobbing:

Haters, stay pathetic and pressed :oh:

Serenus Christ
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:46 AM
:lol:

cellophane
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:47 AM
Never in doubt. Azarenka or Serena will take care of her.

ACEof DIAMONDS
http://www.mtv.com/onair/jersey_shore/season_4/images/gifs/vp-fistpump-hi.gif

Simugna Help
I've never seen more disgusting behavior on tennis court. :tape:

Mashabator
yesssss into QF finally

Barktra
Lucky Bitch because of that rain

duhcity
Some of those come ons were amazing :lol:

young_gunner913
Rain delay. :o

Better match from Nadia then I thought it would be. But typical choke.

danieln1
Rain def. Nadia Petrova :facepalm:

Huntress55
:woohoo:

Maria :yeah:

hablo
Lucky Sharpie. :rolleyes:

miffedmax
Martha. The LOB rolls on.

jasonbloom
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:48 AM
Serena please double bagel her

Jane Lane
Nadia :rolleyes: 40-15 after the rain delay at *20 and then you go to shit.

:rolls: Pova's reactions and THAT HANDSHAKE :hysteric:

n1ko0
glad she got there in the end, but that was not pretty!

GrandMartha
Good enough to get through, not spectacular. Nadia played well, please keep playing well like that Nadia :sobbing::smooch::hug:
Glad that she didn't follow Kvitova after cruising in the 1st set.
Finally got the monkey off her back. Bartoli will be another tough match but very winnable.

pierce85
What an atrocious behaviour! I never believed I'd say that but I hope Azarenka kicks her ass

Serenita
Poor Nadia :hug:

Slampova
Thank you rain gods :cheer:

That second set :hysteric: From 0-4 to 4-4 and then losing 4-6 :weirdo:

First QF since 06 :bowdown:

dencod16
I have never been annoyed at her, but everything she does was just excessive. I don't like this i'll do everything to win even if it means unsportsmanlike conduct. She definitely beat Azarenka on that department tonight.

slamchamp
she really wanted to win this:lol:

hingisGOAT
What an endlessly lucky fucking CHEATER she is. I really, really hope Serena is not upset in this tournament early, just so she can be waiting for Sharapova to humiliate her 6-1 6-0 for the 10th consecutive time. Anyone catch all the illegal coaching going on in her box, telling her where to serve? LOL I have seen more shameless coaching and cheating this USO than any other year by far, and nothing has been done about it. Nothing! Pathetic.

pedropt
Not worthy.

COME THE FUCK ON!

swissmr
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:49 AM
Nice of Maria to finally fight her USO quarter allergy :lol: LOVED the intensity from her tonight, it was like TeenPova all over again :hearts:

GrandMartha

I'm so inlove with this kind of posts :inlove:
it can only mean: Sharapova is winning :inlove:
so keep them coming :cheer:

Bayo
Why do I still care? :sobbing:

Lachy
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:50 AM
OMG YESSS. I was praying that she would come back more intense from that rain delay. Where the fck was her intensity in this match? Thank FCK Petrova screamed 'come on' in Maria's face because after that point on she was P-U-M-P-E-D. Yeeeaaaaaaaaa

18majors
Maria, you're a true champion!

Libertango
:tape:

égalité

Is the Bartoli/Kvitova match really that distant of a memory already? :spit:

Vincey!
Nadia came back much stronger than I thought in that 2nd set! SO happy Maria came back so strong after the rain! She was SO intense, that was awesome! lol. She'll need to improve tho cuz she can't have a patch like that against Serena or else she'll lose fairly easily again. Even Azarenka could take her out with that kind of play! BUT She won and she's in the QF! So happy!

LindsayRulz
Fist pumping on every UEs of Petrova after the rain delay. :facepalm:

slamchamp
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:51 AM
Nice of Maria to finally fight her USO quarter allergy :lol: LOVED the intensity from her tonight, it was like TeenPova all over again :hearts:

ikr:hearts:

it-girl
Petrova:tape:

RenaSlam.
Rain delay certainly helped. As always, Sharapova's mental toughness gets her through. The Russians are all her bitches, it's almost laughable at this point.

Mrs. Dimitrova
Loved the intensity! :hearts: And the crowd really loves her tonight. She really wanted it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: at the amount of angry people.

Barktra
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:52 AM

Ummm Marion wasn't as bad as Sharapova

Mistress of Evil
Siberian Supremacy

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m94gk5S5F81qblp8lo1_500.gif

Thank you rain, cakewalk, weather deities, WTA officials and all the other pimps who work towards the WTA princess conspiracy. :sobbing:

Gosh, why does Maria has to go all BallBasher at the Open time and time again. :o After mastering pushing, junkballing & scrambling she should not have been so braindead in that second set making 16 UEs in first four games.

Yay, first QF at the Open in eternity. :cheer: 74th win over a Russian + 15-0 in night session matches. :banana:

peanuts
Woohoo! Masha! :bigclap: Some pretty good serving with those last few games. :yeah: Love her reaction in the end. :lol:

tennisrules
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:53 AM
Still can't believe this is Maria's first USO quarter since she won it all back in 2006.

Good for her to get there and break through again, but I also feel for Nadia - this was probably her last best chance to get to a Slam quarter.

dencod16
OMG YESSS. I was praying that she would come back more intense from that rain delay. Where the fck was her intensity in this match? Thank FCK Petrova screamed 'come on' in Maria's face because after that point on she was P-U-M-P-E-D. Yeeeaaaaaaaaa

Can you blame after what Sharapova has been doing.

Tezuka.
Can't believe that I will root hard for Vika. :lol:
The rain helped Maria but Nadia only has herself to blame. She had chances to lead 3-0.

HRHoliviasmith

absolutely. disgusting.

nadia i have no words for you. no hugs for you tonight. you should have won this. :o

Vincey!
What an endlessly lucky fucking CHEATER she is. I really, really hope Serena is not upset in this tournament early, just so she can be waiting for Sharapova to humiliate her 6-1 6-0 for the 10th consecutive time. Anyone catch all the illegal coaching going on in her box, telling her where to serve? LOL I have seen more shameless coaching and cheating this USO than any other year by far, and nothing has been done about it. Nothing! Pathetic.

Please refresh my mind cuz I haven't seen that at all lol. Sharapova is rarely looking at her box and never long enough to be coached on where to serve lol. BTW Sanchez is Petrova's coach not Sharapova's and he's the one who always seems to coach players.

Reptilia
Get those 3 set wins, BB. :inlove:

ACEof DIAMONDS
Haters were like

http://images.wikia.com/vampirediaries/images/3/36/Happy_gif.gif

Then they were like

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z97/JblakeW/hines-ward-crying-1.gif

Lord Choc Ice
:cheer:

mdterp01
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:54 AM
Nadia is useless. She would've lost without the rain delay :lol:

Simugna Help
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:54 AM

I didn't watch that match. Though obviously Marion can be quite obnoxious, she screams only after points but not during them. This 160dB shrieking was loud even for Sharapova's standards.

Vartan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:55 AM
Stay pressed haters.

pov
:haha: at the idjits talking about the rain delay. That's such an unusual occurrence in tennis. Like everything else in the game (wind, glare, etc) part of winning is handling that stuff. With an 8-1 H2H going in, this win was expected.

Rolling-Thunder
Nadia is truly a mental midget. She knows how to make errors just when its necessary to lose.

Again Maria's serve is such a non-weapon.

fluffyelloballz
I am a huge Maria fan but even I was put off by that display. I have so much respect for Nadia and Maria's gamesmanship was a little tasteless.
Let me tell you, Maria is meeting her match in Bartoli. Marion will hear about the shannigans in this match and she will get into Maria's face early and show her how it is done.

cautiouslip
1st set is the kind of tennis she needs to make it to the final....NOT 2nd and 3rd but her fighting spit was definitely in action. :hearts:

pierce85
Bartoli-Sharapova will be the unmissable tennis match of the century with Marion sweating all over the place and screaming Allez like a psychotic killer and Maria shrieking demonically till the spectators go deaf

moby
Nadia is useless. She would've lost without the rain delay :lol:So true. Masha haters are underestimating Nadia's choking abilities. :lol:

Hiko
Rain, no rain, Ghost Rider would've choked. She's done it so many times. She's good at it.

Steven.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:56 AM

Rain def. Nadia Petrova :facepalm:

Lucky Sharpie. :rolleyes:

What an atrocious behaviour! I never believed I'd say that but I hope Azarenka kicks her ass

Ummm Marion wasn't as bad as Sharapova

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwj241tGjF1r5frgno1_400.gif

Marion next. Should be routine.

hingisGOAT
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:56 AM
Please refresh my mind cuz I haven't seen that at all lol. Sharapova is rarely looking at her box and never long enough to be coached on where to serve lol. BTW Sanchez is Petrova's coach not Sharapova's and he's the one who always seems to coach players.

Then you must be blind, before she served he would nod his head left or right, she served that direction every time, it was not subtle at all :rolleyes: The officials turn a blind eye for their money-making darling though :tape: Fucking absurd

tennisrules
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:57 AM
Bartoli-Sharapova will be the unmissable tennis match of the century with Marion sweating all over the place and screaming Allez like a psychotic killer and Maria shrieking demonically till the spectators go deaf

Now I'm intrigued:lol: Your description alone seals the deal.

peanuts
Still can't believe this is Maria's first USO quarter since she won it all back in 2006.

Good for her to get there and break through again, but I also feel for Nadia - this was probably her last best chance to get to a Slam quarter.

Yeah I can't believe it either. :lol:

dencod16
I didn't watch that match. Though obviously Marion can be quite obnoxious, she screams only after points but not during them. This 160dB shrieking was loud even for Sharapova's standards.

I agree it had an echo with her grunt. Never seen anything like it before, what she did today. The more Vika is improving her sportsmanlike conduct, it's like Masha is draining, it sounded like they were in an indoor court, and some of her grunts/shrieks came after she hit the ball.

pov
Please . . just stop posting about tennis - on any board anywhere. You're way beyond the "just too stupid" level.

Julian.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:58 AM
Maria :hearts:

Patrick345
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:58 AM
The rain delay might have saved Sharapova, but regardless that was a great match and a super performance by Sharapova.

Vartan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:59 AM
:cheer:

moby
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:59 AM
The rain delay might have saved Sharapova, but regardless that was a great match and a super performance by Sharapova.Her two service games after she went a break up in the third were huge. Even though she made 2 DFs, it was because she was really going after the second serve. I think she hit a 100 MPH second serve on the line.

Vincey!
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:00 AM
Then you must be blind, before she served he would nod his head left or right, she served that direction every time, it was not subtle at all :rolleyes: The officials turn a blind eye for their money-making darling though :tape: Fucking absurd

Man you're crazy cuz they've never showed her coach often enough to make that kind of assessment even less before she was gonna serve lol. Pathetic attempt at hating. Unless you were there and fixing sexy hogstead (wtv that is spelled) every time Sharapova was about to serve.

pov
I agree it had an echo with her grunt. Never seen anything like it before, what she did today. The more Vika is improving her sportsmanlike conduct, it's like Masha is draining, it sounded like they were in an indoor court, and some of her grunts/shrieks came after she hit the ball.
:haha: Yeah there was an echo. But that wasn't Sharapova's doing. There was stuff going on with the mics. Wait . you do get that they mic the courts right?

Reptilia
:lol: At people thinking that Nadia would have won if the rain delay hadn't of happened. She would have shat her pants at the thought of beating Maria, like she always does.

Hiko
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:01 AM
I don't come here that often. Are there normally this many crybabies?

NashaMasha
actually she won 3d set with this non-weapon , which gave her a huge number of cheap points.

Sharapova's serve is a weapon , but it can be a weapon of self-destruction either

gc-spurs
To be fair, do you think Nadia would have won without the delay. Even if she was up by a break, the fact that they've played tight a lot before and she has never won and Marias 3 set record makes me think she still wouldn't have pulled through.

jameshazza
Messy for most of the second although Nadia played much better than I expected, even in the first set there were a lot of quality exchanges. Really brought it after the rain delay. Just what she needs to get into this tournament.

Serenita
Nadia is useless. She would've lost without the rain delay :lol:
This
I thought she was going to choke the 2nd set away. But i was wrong:lol:

Vikapower
:oh: That rain was really random and like it was programmed to save her tonight at that exact moment she seemed done and dusted. Anyways, if anybody had doubts this was Victoria's section of the draw to win or lose then I think it is clear -- if she stays serious and composed there's not a single player here touching her on this surface.

Good for Maria and the QF, I wouldn't risk predicting her next match though, Bartoli is in super-Great form at the moment and this win against Petra could really boost her up even more than she was already, we'll see.

Maria's game off clay against serious competition/opposition is extremely erratic, basically just like the start of the year on the slow hard-courts and she gets exposed with great facility like always when she's out of time and when a player can actually counter her power. This is just the normal continuation of her early 2012.

hingisGOAT
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:02 AM
At least the unsporting cheater getting through another round will potentially allow us the pleasure of watching Serena humiliate and embarrass her in front of millions. Again. In the history of tennis, has one top player ever been such a pigeon to another top player, only winning one or two games per match in numerous consecutive important matches? I don't think so. All other top players in WTA history found ways to make it competitive. It's like watching Graf humiliate that chick 6-0 6-0, except we get to watch it over and over again, and it happens to the most obnoxious, over-hyped and over-paid cheater in tennis. Thank God :)

pov
:haha: This board is getting more and more ridiculous. You want intrigue? Go watch Masterpiece Mystery Theater or something . . .

Shessh. Bunch of wankers.

itzhak
Did Sharapova celebrate the MP in front of Nadia's box or it was Her box? It looks like she shouted something to Nadia's box....

Libertango
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:04 AM
Nadia was NEVER winning, rain or no rain. Sorry but true.

Yes.

As ever on TF though, both "sides" make me laugh. The "haters" act as though some kind of moral injustice has taken place, whilst the "fans" wet themselves over people hatin on their faves and go on as though their player has saved the world. If you're neutral like me you just sit back and :tape:

hingisGOAT
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:04 AM
Man you're crazy cuz they've never showed her coach often enough to make that kind of assessment even less before she was gonna serve lol. Pathetic attempt at hating. Unless you were there and fixing sexy hogstead (wtv that is spelled) every time Sharapova was about to serve.

You are an idiot, he made gestures like that all throughout the match INCLUDING match point, this can all be watched on USOpen website btw, go rewind the tape and stop viewing it through your deluded stan goggles

Rolling-Thunder
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:06 AM
actually she won 3d set with this non-weapon , which gave her a huge number of cheap points.

Sharapova's serve is a weapon , but it can be a weapon of self-destruction either

Against a player who is a premier choker and mental midget, that serve just put a ball in play which Petrova netted.

Its still a hit and miss.

Lucemferre
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:06 AM
This is what Nadia does best; gagging when she's ahead. No reason to get upset. Sharapova bullied her into submission.

NashaMasha
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:07 AM
Maria can really talk about luck here, that rain was really random and like it was programmed to save her tonight at that exact moment she seemed done and dusted. Anyways, if anybody had doubts this was Victoria's section of the draw to win or lose then I think it is clear -- if she stays serious and composed there's not a single player here touching her on this surface.

Good for Maria and the QF, I wouldn't risk predicting her next match though, Bartoli is in super-Great form at the moment and this win against Petra could really boost her up even more than she was already, we'll see.

Maria's game off clay against serious competition/opposition is extremely erratic, basically just like the start of the year on the slow hard-courts and she gets exposed with great facility like always when she's out of time and when a player can actually counter her power.

Vika was broken today 3 times by nobody , and has a serve of a juniour (15 mph (24 kmh ) slower than Masha's or Nadia's)
so take care of Vika's QF , because Stosur is not that bad to speak about Semifinals NOW

dizoo
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:08 AM
life is so hard being a Petrova's fan :(

tennis-insomniac
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:08 AM

yes, you gotta face some mentally challenged people here, but hey that's what you need to deal since this is a free space where even the stupidest people are still welcome to express their opinions however unbearable they may present sometimes.

ExXotikal
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:09 AM
Seriously, HingisGOAT is on some shit :rolls:

Vincey!
You are an idiot, he made gestures like that all throughout the match INCLUDING match point, this can all be watched on USOpen website btw, go rewind the tape and stop viewing it through your deluded stan goggles

OH wow nicely done calling me names. You dare talk about Sharapova being a cheater and an obnoxious overpaid chicks. Sounds like you might see yourself in her and you're afraid of the competition? I wonder who's more idiot now? BTW Stop watching her match if you hate her so much cuz you've lost total sense of respect. You clearly are looking for shits to say and you're making all those little scenarios in your head and you're hallucinating all that drama. Stop taking crack!

Chance

I was thinking that during the match and was dreading that, but you've made it sound more appealing :lol:. Though Sharpy does own cake, and I doubt cake has the stamina to make the match competitive.

Nadia:banghead: you had game points to go up 3-0.... why are my favs so damn predictable:o

Regardless, Nadia did look good, so promising signs for the future. Congrats to sharpy for reaching her USOPEN QF since 2006

I want to see what happens between Sharpy and Azarenka:devil:

atominside
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:10 AM
hingisgoat :help:
http://i49.tinypic.com/os7sjc.gif

cellophane
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:11 AM
I don't even think Petrova being a mental midget has much to do with her losing

Her ground game is way too prone to breaking down...she doesn't possess the game to move Sharapova around effectively :shrug:

Mistress of Evil
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:13 AM
:oh: That rain was really random and like it was programmed to save her tonight at that exact moment she seemed done and dusted. Anyways, if anybody had doubts this was Victoria's section of the draw to win or lose then I think it is clear -- if she stays serious and composed there's not a single player here touching her on this surface.

Maria's game off clay against serious competition/opposition is extremely erratic, basically just like the start of the year on the slow hard-courts and she gets exposed with great facility like always when she's out of time and when a player can actually counter her power. This is just the normal continuation of her early 2012.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lskylcpPgP1qafrh6.gif

Only an Azarenka fan now. :banana:

Lachy
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:13 AM
Did Sharapova celebrate the MP in front of Nadia's box or it was Her box? It looks like she shouted something to Nadia's box....

Nadia's box. Ricardo Sanchez was clapping etc.. when Maria double-faulted so she threw it back in their faces :lol:

Vincey!
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:14 AM
Nadia's box. Ricardo Sanchez was clapping etc.. when Maria double-faulted so she threw it back in their faces :lol:

lol and some people dare say she's obnoxious? lol Sanchez is a TWAT and always has been, I remember when he was coaching Jankovic and he was timing the players time between their serve. I think it was Maria's and/or Venus lol

NashaMasha
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:25 AM
Nadia you had game points to go up 3-0.... why are my favs so damn predictabl

Martha has made 2 or 3 insane ROS in a row to make a break , it wasn't Petrova's fault....

Petrova's fault was to give one more break later ...

Andy.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:26 AM
Suck on in haters :p

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9mgiaoLTw1r4xlmuo1_500.gif (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9mgiaoLTw1r4xlmuo1_500.gif)

What a intense battle. Both of them competed so well. It was the dramatic night match we had been waiting for. Loved Masha's intensity and how she really 'brought it' when she needed too. Nadia servede so so well and its good to see her still playing at a high level after that period where it looked like her best days were long gone.

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:28 AM
I think this match was more commentary on sharapova's will to fight and straight up battle. I like Nadia, but she just doesn't have any real spine when the chips are down - no fire. in the face of Maria's fight, Nadia just went away.

gc-spurs
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:29 AM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lskylcpPgP1qafrh6.gif

Only an Azarenka fan now. :banana:

Thank the Queen!

Also shows how well Maria has managed her schedule. Not showing signs of a heavy season, knew she didn't need to play warmups, 3 set record going strong shows the fitness is up there...

Vikapower
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:30 AM
Only an Azarenka fan now.

:spit: Aren't you the person who consistently bashes Sharapova and fakes being her fan on a consistent basis ? Girl, boy etc. -- please.

Vikapower
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Vika was broken today 3 times by nobody , and has a serve of a juniour (15 mph (24 kmh ) slower than Masha's or Nadia's)
so take care of Vika's QF , because Stosur is not that bad to speak about Semifinals NOW

Serve has not much importance on hard-courts, this ain't grass anymore. The most important thing is to serve well enough and fast enough to start the points on a neutral position --

You need to stop consistently picking on her serve like some kind of big weakness on this particular surface, her placement isn't bad and her depth is alright, these are the primordial things in a serve like hers -- Speed in her situation is useless since she's not looking to hit tons of aces or else.

One last thing, using the first week to depict her serve is just lol -- if she has to deliver her best serves it wouldn't be against the scrubs but against the top players. Why would she force her serve against players who can't even put single consecutive returns inside ? Reason out logically.

As for Stosur she'll need to play like her F last year, possible, we'll see anyways.

égalité
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:32 AM
hingisGOAT is right. :lol: Gurls in this thread are stranded in

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v498/Darklingv20/mashastan.jpg

barmaid
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:33 AM
Well I've never been a fan of Maria's game thats no secret:eek: but I am a fan of Maria:hearts:...afterall she has won 4 GS and many tournaments certainly has become the most recognizable player on the planet:hearts: but her game does go awry from time to time:rolleyes:...and after a convincing first set...away it went.:p..some of that you had to attribute to Nadia who stepped up her game.:bounce:.but never mentally,:( however it did give her confidence to start the 3rd set 2-0 and she was full marks for that.:worship:..but God sent the showers to rescue Maria from falling further on her face...but what I do admire about Maria is her fighting spirit and she did regroup ..righted her ship and eeked out a win. :worship: Not pretty Maria, I suggest you do less shrieking and more accurate hitting! There's way bigger fish than Nadia out there.:lol:

Barmaid:wavey:

Let.them.talk
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:33 AM
Although i missed the rain delay part, saw the previous part of the match and the final, the match was really good, could have been for any of the parts. No one can deny that without the rain it would have been different! The fact is Maria wanted this so bad, and she reached it, i'm proud :hearts: And Nadia did so well and competitive :)

Maria's yelling :inlove:

NashaMasha
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:41 AM
Serve has not much importance on hard-courts, this ain't grass anymore. The most important thing is to serve well enough and fast enough to start the points on a neutral position --

You need to stop consistently picking on her serve like some kind of big weakness on this particular surface, her placement isn't bad and her depth is alright, these are the primordial things in a serve like hers -- Speed in her situation is useless since she's not looking to hit tons of aces or else.

One last thing, using the first week to depict her serve is just lol -- if she has to deliver her best serves it wouldn't be against the scrubs but against the top players. Why would she force her serve against players who can't even put single consecutive returns inside ? Reason out logically.

As for Stosur she'll need to play like her F last year, possible, we'll see anyways.

sure-sure, scrub breaking 3 times and having 9 BP vs your Vika :) if only Tati had a serve........

Vincey!
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:47 AM

I agree serve is not as important on HC than on grass or carpet for example, well the power of it at least. BUT it's a good thing to practice it in easy match so when you face players with bigger serves that are tougher to break you don't have so much pressure on having to serve differently than you've been in your fist 3 matches. It would only help her to hit her better serves against lower opponents, at least in a few game per match. NOt like if she would lose those games while trying better serves. If she can't do them against scrubs there's no way she'll do them against a better player in a tense moment. In no way tho the server hit serves to put them in a neutral position, they always want the serve to make them in an attacking position, to be able to control the point. Only players with an average to bad serve hope that their serve will neutralize the exchange or not put them on the defensive.

os400
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:59 AM
congratulations maria sharapova for this win.

congratulations for both player for giving us the most nail biting game so far in US Open 2012

nelsondan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:11 AM
You can tell somewhat by looking, but.....Maria consistently wins three set matches, I think because most players are not in the superb physical condition she is in. It remains to be seen whether that will be the case with Azarenka or Serena. Their policy of blowing her away early works well. Not sure how well it will work in a third set.

Johnbert
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:28 AM
Stupid rain-delay saved annoying screamer :thumbdown:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using VerticalSports.Com App

dany.p
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:41 AM
Some of you guys sound distressed that Sharapova won. You need to calm down, just breathe deeply and relax. It's only a tennis match. Plus there may be more opportunities for Sharapova to lose in later rounds. Always look on the bright side. Lol. In all seriousness, Petrova is a class opponent. I never really saw her as a gs winner, but her talents do not match her results, which is annoying. Despite the h2h, Sharapova still needed to play good tennis to win, and the second set was not good tennis on her part. When she was on, there wasn't a lot petrova could do. She needs to maintain her focus because better opponents will take advantage. Rain delay came at an interesting time. Yes, Petrova may have still choked even without the rain, but being down in the final set of a gs match is not a good position to be in.

hankqq
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:44 AM
Nadia :sad: :o Unfortunately I'm 99.99999 % sure she would have found a way to lose with or without the rain. For some reason she can't keep it together against Screampova even though she can obviously challenge her during the course of a match. I only saw until 6-1 4-6 so I can't comment on the 3rd set :lol: Having read the replies here, I'm not surprised Sanchez got involved. He has an overbearing personality. How was the handshake? :lol:

hingis-seles
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
I love it - hope there's insane screaming, complaining, fist-pumping, chest-bumping and gyrating in the QF with Bartoli. Maybe dry humping the court even?

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 3rd, 2012, 05:55 AM
Serve has not much importance on hard-courts, this ain't grass anymore. The most important thing is to serve well enough and fast enough to start the points on a neutral position
:spit:
that might be the most stupid thing I've ever seen posted here. no quality tennis player merely hopes that their serve starts them off in a neutral position. The serve is widely considered to be the most important shot in tennis because it is the one shot that allows you to start the rally on your own terms. That, by definition, is not "neutral. "

LUVMIRZA
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:00 AM
Maria Rain Saved Sharapova:lol: Nadia should be ashamed of herself for letting that go:o

égalité
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:02 AM

How did Serena win 8 hard court majors then? :oh:

perseus2006
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:04 AM
Nadia was just as tough as Pova predicted she would be in her interview last Friday. She played very well, especially the serve after the rain delay.

Pova was too strong for Nadia in the first set and too intense after the rain delay. A good win for Pova over a very competent and competitive opponent.

Nobody within three miles of Ashe Stadium doubted that Pova wanted it more!

Adrian.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:06 AM
Nadia :rolleyes::facepalm:

Fistpumbova really lucky again :oh::lol:

But a really good match :yeah:

PMBH
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:09 AM
Maria Rain Saved Sharapova:lol: Nadia should be ashamed of herself for letting that go:o

Don't know if the rain 'saved' Maria. But the stop in play definitely didn't help Petrova...

In any case I think the match underligned that Maria is a level or two below Serena and Azarenka on hardcourt. It's difficult to see her win the USO trophy again.

NashaMasha
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:18 AM
Don't know if the rain 'saved' Maria. But the stop in play definitely didn't help Petrova...

In any case I think the match underligned that Maria is a level or two below Serena and Azarenka on hardcourt. It's difficult to see her win the USO trophy again.

even without rain Maria managed to return back from 0-4 in second set, hence even without rain Maria might have won that 3d set.

And pls don't put together Azarenka and Serena in one sentence, the gap between them is wider and deeper than Pacific ocean

Stonerpova
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
Didn't see it, but what a fucking fighter :worship:

She did us proud, seeing how everybody is bitching about it :lol:

claypova
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:36 AM
QF in USO :bounce::bounce::bounce:

Nadia :bigwave:

MakarovaFan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:39 AM
At least the unsporting cheater getting through another round will potentially allow us the pleasure of watching Serena humiliate and embarrass her in front of millions. Again. In the history of tennis, has one top player ever been such a pigeon to another top player, only winning one or two games per match in numerous consecutive important matches? I don't think so. All other top players in WTA history found ways to make it competitive. It's like watching Graf humiliate that chick 6-0 6-0, except we get to watch it over and over again, and it happens to the most obnoxious, over-hyped and over-paid cheater in tennis. Thank God :)

Rightttt because Maria has "only been winning one or two games per match" against Serena.........NOT SINCE 2007 :rolleyes: The Olympics was the ONLY match in 5 years that Maria has gotten fewer than atleast 4 games in a match. Please move along and take your bitterness else where:wavey:

PMBH
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:49 AM
even without rain Maria managed to return back from 0-4 in second set, hence even without rain Maria might have won that 3d set.

And pls don't put together Azarenka and Serena in one sentence, the gap between them is wider and deeper than Pacific ocean

I agree there's a wide gap between Serena and Azarenka on grass. But on HC I'm not so sure. Vika's looking pretty convincing so far in the USO and her results in the early part of the hardcourt season were very impressive.

Belmont Lad
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Masha :worship: QF's in NY again finally! Now roll over Cake and onward to the semis! :armed: :kiss:

Yashal
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:33 AM
I won't even post any I can't gif because this was so predictable :rolleyes:
Guys it's Nadia, chokes GOAT :hysteric:

Petry :hug:

Joelina
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Masha won and haters gonna hate as always :kiss: thanks for every of these moments Maria!

Marion should not be a problem for Maria, something like 6-2 6-4

bandabou
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:37 AM
Finally QF's again..but man, man...the last time Maria had so luck with raindelays was Wimbledon ' 04! :scared:

graffite
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:50 AM
Yay, Masha. :cheer:

NID. Even during the second set, you just knew Maria was going to fight back. Am really glad ThirdSetPova's record is preserved. MentalGOATMash.

Loved the intensity of FistpumpPova in the end. It was passionate, hilarious and dramatic all at the same time.

The handshake, lol...signifies the end of a "friendship", yeah?

Bronx19
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:55 AM
Why does the WTA allow Maria to disgrace the sport?

Kasey
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:56 AM
Ugh, shitfest in its prime.

Both Nadia's choking abilities and Sharapova's gamesmanship were predictable, yet so disgusting to see.
Sad day for tennis.

Maria Croft
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:11 AM
I didn't see the match, but by the scoreline I could guess how GM would respond.
The haters are out in full force because they smelled the upset and it didn't happen. You can pretty much just look at the posts to see who's overreacting, bitter or an actual real tennis fan. The haters must feel devastated, so predictable :lol:

Glad she's finally back in the QF's here :D

dsanders06
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
Yessssss :sobbing:
Sharagassi continues her march towards destiny :inlove:

NashaMasha
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:16 AM
The haters are out in full force because they smelled the upset and it didn't happen.
haters spent about an hour watching how it rains on Arthur Ashe. They were just burning of anticipation of an upset ....

Now of course they are pressed , some feels themselfs raped by the rain and Masha

Hiko
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:18 AM

Yeah, I can't understand why they don't suspend her indefinitely for whatever it is that you're pissed about.

They'd clearly be better off without one of their top 2 stars.

She's a disgrace. All those fans watching her live and the ratings she fetches must be driven by torture.

os400
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:29 AM
i dont get it, why some people hate to see Maria Sharapova won against Nadia ? what she do to make people hate her so much ?

cant people just congratulate the winners and console the losers ? spouting hate toward a specific players shows more about your hate or jealousy inside..

Bronx19
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I can't understand why they don't suspend her indefinitely for whatever it is that you're pissed about.

They'd clearly be better off without one of their top 2 stars.

She's a disgrace. All those fans watching her live and the ratings she fetches must be driven by torture.

Good looking girl in a mini. If she were ugly, she'd be out.

Libertango
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Now of course they are pressed , some feels themselfs raped by the rain and Masha

:tape:

Deary me.

tejmeglekvár
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Yess Queen! :worship:

Glad to see someone has to really work her way into QF/SF unlike some cakewalk-p. :rolleyes:

Kon.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
Maria. :yeah:

So many pressed souls, what else is new.

Beat
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:17 AM
nadiaaaaaaaargh :fiery: this really sucks for her.

Angelus87
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
rain dalay on that time was deadly. i was so sleeppy not because of match but overall tired. but even if Petrova played good start in 3 set it s was matter of time when she will start fail. this happen a lot with players who play against top 5.

humanabstract
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:34 AM
I need to download and watch full match. I was watching this match from 0-4 in the second on mute cause my relatives were sleeping. I actually don't understand what was so bad about Maria's behaviour, cause she fistpumps and screams comeons in every tight match. Actually I don't find anything criminal in screaming come on, allez, etc on errors, a lot of girls use this thing to pump themselves up, and if it really detracted opponents there would be a lot of complaints from them. To me it's definitely better than match of robots with no emotions, it's a fight, competition and such things make it more dramatic.

As for the rain delay and some people calling Maria lucky (and Nadia herself :oh:), no one could tell how this match would end without it. And everyone seems to forget that Cincinatti final vs Kim when Maria lost after the rain delay. I highly doubt someone called Kim lucky or Maria said smth like that in her presser.

Overall, it was spectacular match, but not so good in terms of quality. But some shots both from Nadia and Masha were awesome. Nadia served her best in the 3rd set with 78% of 1st serve and 4 aces, but Maria's several returns esp in 3rd game and good serving brought her to win. Too bad they played against each other on this stage. :sad: I think some players from this half which have already lost their matches would beat most players that made R4 from bottom half.

nealcaffrey
Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:37 AM
what she do to make people hate her so much ?

she is beautiful,well loved,popular and successful. that's what.
and dont give me that grunting bullshit since a lot of maria haters are vika fans.

Miss Amor
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Martha!

zigga
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:33 AM
Well, a win is a win for Maria :cheer:

ACEof DIAMONDS
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:37 AM
Why are Rena fans so worried about a player, who according to them serves no threat? Just speaking truth

Kind of funny when through their hate they are unintentionally showing concern over one of the only players left in the field capable of beating their Queen. She's a huge fav and yet they are pressed. Awesome!

bandabou
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:38 AM
I need to download and watch full match. I was watching this match from 0-4 in the second on mute cause my relatives were sleeping. I actually don't understand what was so bad about Maria's behaviour, cause she fistpumps and screams comeons in every tight match. Actually I don't find anything criminal in screaming come on, allez, etc on errors, a lot of girls use this thing to pump themselves up, and if it really detracted opponents there would be a lot of complaints from them. To me it's definitely better than match of robots with no emotions, it's a fight, competition and such things make it more dramatic.

Welllll..I guess you haven't been around for the Olympic final..:lol: ;)

ArmAroundYou
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Hm, there was a lot of come on'ing from Petrova herself when Sharapova was sending those forehands to the stands. Plus, something was CLEARLY going on with Ricardo Sanchez, who is well known for taunting and taking jabs at his players' opponents. It seems people have forgotten the Snezana-Sanchez duo when he was coaching Jankovic; "that bordered on the offensive", quoting one of last night's commentators who gave up on commenting on the tennis and kept yabbing about Maria's come-ons and fistpumps as if she was some newcomer.

Nevertheless, kudos to Sharapova. She should've closed it out in the 2nd set with a 64 but whatever. Her first 3 rounds were routine beatdowns and I guess it's easy for one to get bored and apathetic with those kinds of matches. She really woke up in that 3rd set. Rain had nothing to do with; Petrova was never gonna win that match.

Sharapova underwent a similar 4th round at both the French Open and Australian, where she went into those matches on the back of bagels and breadsticks from her 1st three matches, much like she did here at the USO; it seems to be her mental hurdle in recent years, and she did pay for it at Wimbledon against Lisicki. Glad she got it out of her system so we can get the much awaited semi against Azarenka. Could be a classic if both bring their A-games and their intensity.

JamieOwen3
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
it rained oh well tough shit, Maria won! :banana:

Don't even get me started on Ricardo stopwatch Sanchez!!!

flareon
Reading through it seems all the masha dislikers are saying that her behaviour was appaling what did she do

Nadia :hug: I really think if this rained had stayed off she would of won this because she was timing the ball so sweetly.

Maria :yeah: get toughness :)

Kasey
Glad to see someone has to really work her way into QF/SF unlike some cakewalk-p. :rolleyes:

OMG don't you dare stop writing EVER, Trolling-bearer :angel:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m45a8ny8qP1qipps1.gif

ACEof DIAMONDS
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
What was appalling about Maria's behavior?

What did she do outside of any other tour player?

This one might not ever get answered

JamieOwen3
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Nothing different from Marion's loud Allez's or Petra's loud screeching POJD's and I like all three. It's just this is MARIA.

Nicolás89
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Awful, awful match. By both.

homogenius
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
Poor nadia.Maria seemed lost at the begining of the 3rd, before the rain delay.But Nadia is so fragile mentally...
Rain won't be enough to escape against players like Vika or Serena though :oh:

StoneRose
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:09 PM
Maria :yeah: :cheer:.

SilverSlam
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:23 PM
Maria :cheer:

Didn't see any of the match, but 3 set and night match streak continues :)

Good luck in the QFs.

GoofyDuck
Sep 3rd, 2012, 12:58 PM
I wish Nadia had a brain :sobbing:

Maria rocks
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:02 PM
I love the rain!!!! Love Maria though would definately want her on my side in the war how she fights!!!

Maria for the title. Got the champers ready:)

Simugna Help
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Nothing different from Marion's loud Allez's or Petra's loud screeching POJD's and I like all three. It's just this is MARIA.

She took it to the extreme plus she was EXTREMELY loud during points.

GoofyDuck
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:05 PM
She took it to the extreme plus she was EXTREMELY loud during points.

Apparently shriekers' way of competing harder is screeching louder/ distracting the opponent more.

Tenis Srbija
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:11 PM
Saved by the rain :lol:

ElusiveChanteuse
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM
Nadia :( :o

Cosmic Voices
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:45 PM
I went to sleep at 2.08am during the rain delay and the bitch actually won :hysteric:
Absolute idol Masha

Vikapower
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
I agree serve is not as important on HC than on grass or carpet for example, well the power of it at least. BUT it's a good thing to practice it in easy match so when you face players with bigger serves that are tougher to break you don't have so much pressure on having to serve differently than you've been in your fist 3 matches. It would only help her to hit her better serves against lower opponents, at least in a few game per match. NOt like if she would lose those games while trying better serves. If she can't do them against scrubs there's no way she'll do them against a better player in a tense moment. In no way tho the server hit serves to put them in a neutral position, they always want the serve to make them in an attacking position, to be able to control the point. Only players with an average to bad serve hope that their serve will neutralize the exchange or not put them on the defensive.

Serving strategies vary with the players game style. Super-offensive players want to start the point on the front-foot regardless if they play a counter-puncher or aggressive base-liner, the same cannot be said about a counter-puncher or an offensive player like Victoria whose game is oriented around a fair amount of rallies who doesn't specifically look to gain immediate control of the point like Serena, Sharapova etc.

Her serve isn't bad, it's a good enough serve just not to start the points from behind and that's her main objective against aggressive returners. She doesn't look for aces etc. many people accuse her of ; against counter-punchers etc. style like these, she knows she's too good off the ground to actually force anything of her serve, against average aggressive players same thing.

If she can take control immediately I'm not saying she willn't but that's not her obsession like players like Petra Kvitova ; I mean you can not have it both ways when she has a serving strategy that is in line her style of play. I don't agree, when she'll face bigger returners she'll be more focused in that department, this is a major, it's very long and you don't peak in every department of your game in the first week lol.

that might be the most stupid thing I've ever seen posted here. no quality tennis player merely hopes that their serve starts them off in a neutral position. The serve is widely considered to be the most important shot in tennis because it is the one shot that allows you to start the rally on your own terms. That, by definition, is not "neutral. "

Serve is important in certain (generally super-offensive) players game because of their strategies/tactics to try and take immediate control of the points, not in others and because they also have strong other assets to compensate for it. Kerber for example doesn't serve to start the point on the offense roflmao, she serves good enough just for her not to be too much behind that's about all and how the majority of the points actually go with her.

It doesn't mean Kerber isn't a quality player it just means that she has qualities that are just different.

JamieOwen3
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
Saved by the rain :lol:

yeah :lol:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9rxn66wix1rvr01vo1_400.gif

Tenis Srbija
Sep 3rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
yeah :lol:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9rxn66wix1rvr01vo1_400.gif

;)

Matt01
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:07 PM

I guess it's because they think she is pretty...which she is not.

Sombrerero loco
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
sugarpova was so lucky petrova is a real mess... her head sucks so much

Cosmic Voices
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
Bronx19 - Maria disgracing the sport?
Maybe you need to check the archives for the Shino death threats :oh:

ArmAroundYou
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:19 PM
Sharapova's reaction to winning was frightening. She really wants this title.

BuTtErFrEnA
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Why are Rena fans so worried about a player, who according to them serves no threat? Just speaking truth

Kind of funny when through their hate they are unintentionally showing concern over one of the only players left in the field capable of beating their Queen. She's a huge fav and yet they are pressed. Awesome!

how did "rena fans" get in this? you assume the only people who don't like the obnoxious one are "rena fans"? :lol: someone needs a reality check

Mr.Sharapova
Sep 3rd, 2012, 02:27 PM

http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad151/Milot_Sheremeti/tumblr_m2a8mxIgqJ1qmqiow.gif

Vincey!
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:06 PM
Serving strategies vary with the players game style. Super-offensive players want to start the point on the front-foot regardless if they play a counter-puncher or aggressive base-liner, the same cannot be said about a counter-puncher or an offensive player like Victoria whose game is oriented around a fair amount of rallies who doesn't specifically look to gain immediate control of the point like Serena, Sharapova etc.

Her serve isn't bad, it's a good enough serve just not to start the points from behind and that's her main objective against aggressive returners. She doesn't look for aces etc. many people accuse her of ; against counter-punchers etc. style like these, she knows she's too good off the ground to actually force anything of her serve, against average aggressive players same thing.

If she can take control immediately I'm not saying she willn't but that's not her obsession like players like Petra Kvitova ; I mean you can not have it both ways when she has a serving strategy that is in line her style of play. I don't agree, when she'll face bigger returners she'll be more focused in that department, this is a major, it's very long and you don't peak in every department of your game in the first week lol.

I wasn't speaking of Vika's serve as being bad or average. I think she can serve pretty well. Not as powerful as Sharapova or Serena but in her match she usually place her ball to put herself in an advantageous position. The days were a player could win match without aggressive serves are pretty much over. That's why Radwanska is not winning big titles more often and that why Kerber ain't either. Their serve they only put them in a neutral position at best, you can't expect to win big titles against many top 10 players if you can't get some easy points on your serve. Specially if you're facing a big server who does get a few free points on their serve. Of course you can win matches and title, but not as many. Wozniacki was a good exeption for a while but she never won a GS. But again, I don't think Vika does that, she wants to be on top and aggressive right from the first strike on serve or on return. Doesn't mean she has to go crazy on every balls like Kvitova lol. What's disappointing tho is that she is clearly content with not doing much against lower ranked players when she could actually try to "practice" bigger serve like she can do during matches.

Craig.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:27 PM
''Disgracing the sport.'' :haha: Goodness me.

SAEKeithSerena
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM
Nadia choked.

Ryan
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
:rolleyes: So many fools in here. 2-0 in the 3rd is not even close to a choke, and the rain may have helped but it was in no way a deciding factor. Also, what special feed are some of you getting where you get to watch the coaches every point? I want that, so I can say everyone is cheating too!

nealcaffrey
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:47 PM

being beautiful and appealing is not a concept and not just something you can push if it's not actually there
i can tell people a million times that my dog is a beautiful blonde woman and you should buy tennis racquets,cameras, bottled water,candy, tennis dresses from her but that won't work

of course beauty is always in the eye of the beholder but the consensus of the world is sharapova is conventionally beautiful. it's not a myth

anyway, it's SO ridiculous to reduce a female athlete who works so hard to her looks anyway!! she's not a model,she is a world class athlete . and people calling her disgrace the sport:facepalm: what did she do so bad anyway? i wonder how many people who bash maria are naDULL fans (timewasting,grunting, medicaltimeouts,coaching from toni), serena fans (threatening linespeople), justine fans(the hand), vika fans (grunting), etcetera etcetera---i do not dislike any of ppl i mentioned except naDULL but point is most likely ur players also have done someting they are not proud of in their career and calling maria a disgrace for what???i am still not sure what people are pointing at here... SO ridiculous!!!

anyway, i am happy maria is back in quarterfinals,this is good for women's tennis to have the stars like maria and serena shining again and is good support to push other up and coming stars into the headlines :)

fluffyelloballz
Sep 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
Credit to Maria though. She did not win on gamesmanship alone. She served brilliantly and went for broke on her groudies. And let's face it, were Nadia a real threat, she could have overcome Maria's antics, the break in momentum and Maria's form to win.
I wrote this about the match if anyone is interested.

http://fluffyyellowballs.com/?p=365

dsanders06
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:16 PM
:haha: at all the delusion in here. I like Nadia, but she's one of the Tour's leading headcases, and Maria hasn't lost a 3-setter all year. Rain break or no rain break, there was always a less than 5% chance Nadia was ever going to win a deciding set. Her realistic chances of winning the match were already dead once Maria stormed took the first set so easily (and while we're on that topic, why does only Nadia's "choke" count? completely ignoring the fact Maria could've won this match in straights with her level from the 1st set?).

Matt01
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:21 PM
:haha: at all the delusion in here. I like Nadia, but she's one of the Tour's leading headcases, and Maria hasn't lost a 3-setter all year.

That's because she always gets hard beatdowns whenever she plays a tough opponent, and not because she is so tough in 3-setters ;)

Cosmic Voices
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:23 PM
That's because she always gets hard beatdowns whenever she plays a tough opponent, and not because she is so tough in 3-setters ;)

other than serena, i see no logic in your post. masha already avenged vika + petra this year so :wavey:

dsanders06
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:25 PM

I hate to break it to you, but Petrova isn't a "tough opponent" relatively speaking. Maria's won 3-settrs against players who are far better than her right now this year.

Roookie
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
Best fighter on tour :worship: I've never seen Maria so pumped up in a match. I'm glad she got tested. It was a good match and the rain delay definitely added some drama. Arthur Ash at full capacity...yet nobody was watching Azarenka on Louis Armstrong :hug: where Robson-Li got an amazing crowd as well.

Adal
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Loved Maria's intensity in the 3rd set. Reminded me of her 2004-2005 matches.

domon17th
Sep 3rd, 2012, 04:58 PM
I didn't see the match, but by the scoreline I could guess how GM would respond.
The haters are out in full force because they smelled the upset and it didn't happen. You can pretty much just look at the posts to see who's overreacting, bitter or an actual real tennis fan. The haters must feel devastated, so predictable :lol:

Glad she's finally back in the QF's here :D

This. Same story, rinse and repeat.

Loved Maria's intensity in the 3rd set. Reminded me of her 2004-2005 matches.

Great result. These 2 always play each other close, I can't handle it. :lol:

Vikapower
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:06 PM
I wasn't speaking of Vika's serve as being bad or average. I think she can serve pretty well. Not as powerful as Sharapova or Serena but in her match she usually place her ball to put herself in an advantageous position.

Well yes for sure, Victoria is an offensive player so yes she would desire that dominant position starting from serve -- but like I precised it's not her obsession to really be on top immediately because she knows she has a solid enough background to stay, work and reset exchanges/take the advantage back for her.

The days were a player could win match without aggressive serves are pretty much over. That's why Radwanska is not winning big titles more often and that why Kerber ain't either. Their serve they only put them in a neutral position at best, you can't expect to win big titles against many top 10 players if you can't get some easy points on your serve. Specially if you're facing a big server who does get a few free points on their serve. Of course you can win matches and title, but not as many. Wozniacki was a good exeption for a while but she never won a GS. But again, I don't think Vika does that, she wants to be on top and aggressive right from the first strike on serve or on return. Doesn't mean she has to go crazy on every balls like Kvitova lol.

Yes but don't forget that all this is relative to game-style faced. If you play Sharapova, the probability that would get more returns out or at least equal returns in and out is extremely strong -- a contrario, a player like Victoria will always almost consistently get your serves back into play offensively.

Kerber, Radwanska [...] do not win big titles relative to players like Victoria but if we speak about Petra or Maria, I would give them a fair amount if not a high amount of chance of clinching even a big trophy even against them (speaking obviously in a normal case where they're not on fire, Petra etc.) -- Factually how many F has Sharapova/Petra played against Kerber/Radwanka, 2-3 this year ? It'd be interesting to see them play more to note some trends --

I do agree that to win big titles you need a potent serve (Maria etc. are generally very good in the QF/SF to go on) but all this is relative really. Serve doesn't have the out-most importance if you're facing Radwanska instead of Sharapova -- it also depends on the form, Sharapova at 50% would very certainly give you 20-30% of free points than a Sharapova at 60. All these at crucial points 30-30, 30-40, 40-30, 5-5 in the first set etc. and you can see how much of a difference it makes.

What's disappointing tho is that she is clearly content with not doing much against lower ranked players when she could actually try to "practice" bigger serve like she can do during matches.

:shrug: Well that's what I was telling you, it's not her mentality to serve big. She'll only do so if she's psychologically forced i.e. facing a very aggressive returner who will put pressure on her. She's pretty comfortable just starting the rallies and utilizing her other strengths.

Just see how she won Miami in 2011 and Indian Wells this year with <45% of points won on her 2nd serves but over 50% of points on her opponent's first serves and 59.8 on return of second in Miami and 62.5 in IW. She's won many big tournaments serving Kerber/Radwanska like but her game behind is generally just too good unlike these players who have to push more work. Her return game matters far more than her serve itself if you ask me.

It is nevertheless true that these serving data in Indian Wells for example would have never cut it on grass so the surface does matter -- hard tolerates starting points from behind light-years better than grass.

hobahobaspirit
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:21 PM
DEAD at Vikapower writing essays about how Azarenka is content to start points in neutral position with her serve and how it's all part of her strategy :haha:

Bitch please, she doesn't serve big because she CAN'T, her limited service motion doesn't allow her to. No sane player will be happy to throw 150 km/h first serves to start points in ''neutral position''. She obviously worked on her serve after Miami, and it just failed, cause she's serving worst than at the beginning of the year :spit:

Marionated
Sep 3rd, 2012, 06:28 PM
Oh sigh Nadia, but she did manage to lose that French Open 09 encounter so this is hardly a suprise.

If only she was mentally strong.

andyjason
Sep 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Even Bartoli can destroy her

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM
Serve is important in certain (generally super-offensive) players game...Kerber for example doesn't serve to start the point on the offense roflmao, she serves good enough just for her not to be too much behind that's about all...

Foolishness! every player tries to start the point off with an advantage.

just because the player doesn't have Serena Williams ability on serve doesn't mean that they just try and get the ball in play. :rolleyes: it's foolish talk to imply, as you are, that players don't think about whether they need to serve to someone's forehand or backhand or kick or slice or whatever to give themselves an advantage. There is a reason why everyone who matters says the most important shot in tennis is the serve. I'm beginning to think that you don't really even play the game.

LightWarrior
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:14 PM
During changeovers I noticed that Pova doesn't bite into a banana but will take a piece with her hand into her mouth...Not a nice way to promote SugarPova lol.

cn ireland
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:18 PM
Glad that Maria came through this match.

Ntosake
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:47 PM

Generalizing much?

I skimmed through this thread and I see posters from many fan bases not all that happy with Pova's win. All you see are a few Rena fans and there you go seeing a whole fan base. :rolleyes:

DOUBLEFIST
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
Generalizing much?

I skimmed through this thread and I see posters from many fan bases not all that happy with Pova's win. All you see are a few Rena fans and there you go seeing a whole fan base. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I was going to post something about this, but I just didn't really feel this poster's trolling was worth the time.

DragonFlame
Sep 3rd, 2012, 09:54 PM
Obvious result after it started raining, everyone knew this. :lol: Glad it's not a bartoli/petrova QF though, 1 of them in the semi's. :help:

Craig.
Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:58 PM
Just watched the final set in its entirety and man, the crowd was going crazy for Maria. Nice to see.

rucolo
Sep 4th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Maria into US Open QF ! :D:yeah:

Nadia :hug:

6-1 -> 0-4 -> 4-4 -> 4-6 -> 0-2 -> rain -> 6-4

Great match. There were many excellent points :drool:

NashaMasha
Sep 4th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Maria into US Open QF ! :D:yeah:

Nadia :hug:

6-1 -> 0-4 -> 4-4 -> 4-6 -> 0-2 -> rain -> 6-4

Great match. There were many excellent points :drool: